The latest on Conference Realignment and Cal - Saturday the 19th

189,843 Views | 1043 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pac4 rules. Home and away! Twice!
westcoast101
nikeykid said:

Pendulum swings again

As a Cal fan, I've learned to expect the worst, so I figure that none of these rumors will turn into anything that works out well for us.
Big Dog
CALiforniALUM said:

nikeykid said:

Pendulum swings again
That is because ESPN is doing the talking.
And Daddy Luck used to be in the B12, so he has plenty of contacts who will at least take his call to say hello.
Pervis_Griffith
FSU and Clemson want a larger piece of the tier 1 media rights. Like about $10M-$15M more each. They also are not for voting rights for Calford. Both schools but particularly FSU believe they are worth the extra guaranteed media money. They are not opposed in principle to performance related payments but they believe this new money from admitting Calford and SMU needs to go primarily to them.

This is a USC sort of situation. They believe they carry the conference's water and want to be compensated for that. They are making threats they will leave. The GOR is through 2036 but they likely leave before. Others will want to join them. But at present none have the appeal to warrant full shares from the B1G or SEC. They would in time but likely not day 1.

Sure there are other concerns like travel offsets. But tier 1 media money and voting rights are at the heart of this. If Calford comes with full voting rights and the revenue remains equally distributed I will be very surprised. The ACC lesser lights like (BC, Syracuse, GaTech) want Calford and SMU in for conference stability. The big boy programs like Clemson and FSU are fine with instability as they believe that favors them being able to dissolve the conference and exit without penalty or a much reduced negotiated penalty.

They may find the votes and I hope they do. But there is a reason this has not been finalized. There is not a lot of opposition over the schools. Just how and to whom the new money goes and can they vote on day 1. If they get an invite it likely is sold as unanimous but I would be very dubious of that statement.

Are the non blueblood programs like BC or Wake willing to give FSU the money in exchange for Calford full voting rights? And would good programs but non bluebloods like UNC or UVa vote to go along? I agree with the premise that how everything gets distributed is the holdup, but do not believe they have 12 votes.

Meanwhile there is some steam that the Big 12 may soon (already?) get involved. ESPN is trying to help Calford find a home.

Excellent summary of issues. It's like you've been in the ACC for a couple of years already.

As a Louisville fan, I've followed this potential expansion with interest.

Notre Dame pushing hard for both you and Stanford says a lot. Clearly the Irish want to stay independent, and have no love lost for the Big Ten. By adding Cal and Stanford to the ACC, the Irish are maintaining an excellent home for their non-football sports, which goes hand-in-hand with their desire for football independence.

For me, I'd love to see you all join our league. Sure travel will be a b1tch. But it'd be fun having Cal, Stanford and SMU on the schedule going forward.

Best of luck to you all -- hopefully this gets settled soon.

And oh yeah --- screw FSU. I don't think they've fully gotten over Lamar dropping 62 points on 'em when they were (over)ranked #2 in the country.
sycasey
CALiforniALUM said:

nikeykid said:

Pendulum swings again
That is because ESPN is doing the talking.

That's basically what I thought when the "leaks" happened and still do now: some combination of Stanford/Cal and ESPN are getting impatient with the ACC's decision-making and are trying to push it over the line. Trying to create some smoke with another conference.
Anon378
How would y'all feel about Cal's three permanent "rivals"… Stanford SMU Wake Forest?
Dothechop2
dimitrig
Piratefan2102 said:

How would y'all feel about Cal's three permanent "rivals"… Stanford SMU Wake Forest?

Why would SMU be a rival to Cal in any way?

The most natural rivals are Georgia Tech, Virginia, and Duke.

Anon378
Lol the term "rival" is being used loosely by the ACC. It's basically just three opponents you play every single conference schedule. I used SMU for travel purposes.
75bear
dimitrig said:

Piratefan2102 said:

By rival, they mean closest travel partner.
GoCal80
91Cal
For a combination of likely wins, cultural fit (as a rival), great place to travel to and wins (again) as the two other than Stanford are essentially replacing fUCLA & U$C:
1. UNC (great academics, great town, great area, plenty of direct flights, strong football heritage, but definitely weighted toward Cal winning more than half)
2. Georgia Tech (great academics, great city, lots of direct flights, weaker football heritage and solidly weaker than Cal)
3. BC (great city, plenty of direct flights, decent football heritage, but definitely weighted toward Cal winning more than half)
4. UVA (great town, but harder to get to from the west coast, decent football heritage, but definitely weighted toward Cal winning more than half)
5. Duke (v. similar to Stanford, great area, plenty of direct flights, weaker football heritage and solidly weaker than Cal)
6. SMU (good city, lots of direct flights, weaker academics, decent football heritage (since their death penalty, but definitely weighted toward Cal winning more than half)
golden sloth
Piratefan2102 said:

Stanford is a given.

SMU is understandable, and gives Cal a presence in Texas for recruiting, and helps limit travel to a degree, which I like.

As for the third, hey, we are the new guys, we are happy to be here, I'm open to whomever you want it to be.

I'd also be cool, with just having stanford and smu be our protected rivals if everyone else doesnt want to change.
berserkeley
dimitrig said:

Piratefan2102 said:

Cal, Stanford, and SMU will almost certainly be protected games because the three of us have no history with any ACC teams. I would actually be surprised if any of us get a third protected game because none of the ACC teams would want a permanent game against a far flung opponent.

But we should consider ourselves lucky to get a protected game in one of the best recruiting territories in the country. Especially after losing our annual LA game. Plus it's the shortest travel distance for us.
golden sloth
berserkeley said:

dimitrig said:

Piratefan2102 said:

Cal, Stanford, and SMU will almost certainly be protected games because the three of us have no history with any ACC teams. I would actually be surprised if any of us get a third protected game because none of the ACC teams would want a permanent game against a far flung opponent.

But we should consider ourselves lucky to get a protected game in one of the best recruiting territories in the country. Especially after losing our annual LA game. Plus it's the shortest travel distance for us.

I know this is a controversial idea, but I still say we try to schedule an annual game with ucla. Stanford, SMU, ucla as consistent foes makes sense. Two traditional rivals, two great recruiting territories.
Bowlesman80
dimitrig said:

Piratefan2102 said:

UNC>Virginia
"Just win, baby."
Bowlesman80
golden sloth said:

berserkeley said:

dimitrig said:

Piratefan2102 said:

I know this is a controversial idea, but I still say we try to schedule an annual game with ucla. Stanford, SMU, ucla as consistent foes makes sense. Two traditional rivals, two great recruiting territories.
Not sure how I feel about L.A., despite the recruiting opportunities; Furd- forever; SMU sure- maybe.
"Just win, baby."
Bowlesman80
91Cal said:

For a combination of likely wins, cultural fit (as a rival), great place to travel to and wins (again) as the two other than Stanford are essentially replacing fUCLA & U$C:
1. UNC (great academics, great town, great area, plenty of direct flights, strong football heritage, but definitely weighted toward Cal winning more than half)
2. Georgia Tech (great academics, great city, lots of direct flights, weaker football heritage and solidly weaker than Cal)
3. BC (great city, plenty of direct flights, decent football heritage, but definitely weighted toward Cal winning more than half)
4. UVA (great town, but harder to get to from the west coast, decent football heritage, but definitely weighted toward Cal winning more than half)
5. Duke (v. similar to Stanford, great area, plenty of direct flights, weaker football heritage and solidly weaker than Cal)
6. SMU (good city, lots of direct flights, weaker academics, decent football heritage (since their death penalty, but definitely weighted toward Cal winning more than half)
I remember Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech being in our Cal songbook circa 1976. Still there?
"Just win, baby."
bearsandgiants
Bowlesman80 said:

91Cal said:

I remember Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech being in our Cal songbook circa 1976. Still there?

Yup. It's the Stanfurd Jonah for us
Anon378
Pretty funny - Cal playing in Winston-Salem tonight vs Wake Forest. A crucial game in ACC play!
JimSox
As I read all this: Momentum building but the votes still aren't quite there. Hmmm. I may have heard that very thing over and over for the last three weeks. Frustrating!
Cal_79
golden sloth said:

berserkeley said:

dimitrig said:

Piratefan2102 said:

F*** ucla!
LodeBear
hell no to UCLA or USC for that matter. let them make their trips to the B10.
dimitrig
Bowlesman80 said:

dimitrig said:

Piratefan2102 said:

UNC>Virginia

It wouldn't make sense to have both of our rivals in North Carolina which is why I chose UVA.

Dothechop2
calumnus
Dothechop2 said:

"In all sports in which the ACC competes."

Wow.
golden sloth
LodeBear said:

I get the emotion, but Cal shouldn't make decisions based on anger and spite. The long term health of the program requires good players from LA. Good players from LA are easier to get with consistent games there.

The only instance of not having ucla on the schedule long-term is if Cal and SDSU agree to play a game at SOFI (or another LA based stadium) every year for a decade).

Also, its good to maintain a presence with alumni down there.
golden sloth
calumnus said:

Dothechop2 said:

"In all sports in which the ACC competes."

Wow.
I agree on 'Wow', but I would also be surprised if at the end of this decade we don't see conference affiliations for non-revenue sports break off from the revenue sports (or just football).
sycasey
golden sloth said:

LodeBear said:

I get the emotion, but Cal shouldn't make decisions based on anger and spite. The long term health of the program requires good players from LA. Good players from LA are easier to get with consistent games there.

Yes, very much this. If we can, need to get UCLA and/or USC as regular non-conference foes.

I know we're mad they blew up the conference. It's still good for the program to play them.
ferCALgm2
golden sloth said:

LodeBear said:

The only instance of not having ucla on the schedule long-term is if Cal and SDSU agree to play a game at SOFI (or another LA based stadium) every year for a decade).

It's not mostly anger and spite. What do we have to gain? For the next few years we'll likely be a $20-30 million program vs a $75 million program. Screw them. Maybe in 5-10 years if/when we're in the same conference.
Econ141

Can't wait until this is all over
Big Dog
ferCALgm2 said:

golden sloth said:

LodeBear said:

It's not mostly anger and spite. What do we have to gain? For the next few years we'll likely be a $20-30 million program vs a $75 million program. Screw them. Maybe in 5-10 years if/when we're in the same conference.
agree. And for those pro on playing the former schools that can no longer be named in decent company, don't forget that either woudl be our A game in an OOC schedule. And that means no Auburn, no Tennessee, no Northwestern or tOSU. If we want to raise the national profile we need to go beat some of these other teams.
Bowlesman80
sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

LodeBear said:

Yes, very much this. If we can, need to get UCLA and/or USC as regular non-conference foes.

I know we're mad they blew up the conference. It's still good for the program to play them.
I would just as soon sever all ties with $C; UCLA is doable, once we find a landing spot and calm down.
"Just win, baby."
Dothechop2
I trust Brett a lot more than I trust this dude.
Pervis_Griffith
Piratefan2102 said:

Scheduling was kicked around on an ACC message board. If the ACC were to add 3 schools, then the current 3/5-5 (3 permanent, with 5 rotating every two years) where every school would play every other school home and away in a 4-year period, would obviously not work.

17 schools could lead to a 4 permanent, with 4-4-4 rotating. In this set up, you'd at least see every other school once in a 3-year period (and every school home and away in 6 years). Which isn't too bad.

So Cal would get Stanford, probably SMU and 2 others. No idea how that would be figured out. But Cal would see everybody in a 3-year period, regardless of who the 4 permanent rivals would be.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.