The latest on Conference Realignment and Cal - Saturday the 19th

189,835 Views | 1043 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
Big Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Piratefan2102 said:

Lol UNC HC Dorrance issued a statement today… " I want to clarify my recent remarks regarding ACC expansion. I have the utmost respect for Stanford University and the University of California, Berkeley. They are outstanding institutions with dedicated leaders, committed students and world-class soccer programs and coaches. I don't think conference expansion is in the best interest of Carolina and the ACC at this time, and I trust and respect the decisions that Kevin Guskiewicz, Bubba Cunningham and ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips are making on behalf of Carolina and the ACC."
Taken to the woodshed by his boss.
sycasey
HateRed said:

I bet nothing happens today. Jason Cole, I hope you're right.

Worth noting that Cole is a Stanford guy, so would have a vested interest in this deal happening. But it also might mean that he knows people who know things.
Bobodeluxe
"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
philly1121
CALiforniALUM said:

sosheezy said:

JimSox said:

bledblue said:

BearGreg said:

sycasey said:

I'm also curious if the Big Ten have had any talks/interest in picking up Cal or Stanford? Or are they completely out of the picture at this point?
The B10 is no longer involved. Almost certainly the gap in $$'s is too great.

At this point, why not just take the low offer from the BIG?
Because there isn't one?

Exactly and also if the numbers discussed are Fox paying only $10-15M/year, when your conference peers are getting $62.5/yr and $30-35M (UW/OR), you are set up to fail hard and never be competitive. Taking 16-25% at best revenue relative to peers? Not when the ACC discussions are real and let's say for 50-70% of what the rest of the league gets.

Math ain't my strong suit , but if you add UCLA's $60m to our $15m and split it down the middle by way of Calimony then UCLA, Cal, Oregon, and Washington would all get about the same payout. Since UCLA wouldn't agree to that directly I think Christ would have back channel the adjustment through the Regents. As in Cal accepting anything to get in and once in having the UC system level it out separately.
There's no way UCLA would accept that. It would defeat the whole purpose of joining the B1G.
BearHunter
bluehenbear
Piratefan2102 said:

"I have the utmost respect for Stanford University and the University of California, Berkeley"
"...but California can go fsck itself."
gobears15
Here we go again:

BigDaddy

sycasey
gobears15 said:

Here we go again:

Well, there we go . . . the mainstream reporters are on it again.
sosheezy
gobears15 said:

Here we go again:

deeper in the thread it sounds like the delays are the schools deciding the methodology to split the reduced shares of Cal and Stanford and the $0 share from SMU vs the fundamental question of should we vote to approve at all.

But also gives a timeline for a final decision is another week! :/
nikeykid
Anon378
When the reporters are talking about acc presidents and ADs discussing how to split the new revenue that's how you know it is serious
gobears15

Quote:

Yup, I think it's reason to be more optimistic. While I have the utmost respect for MHver3's sources (i.e. the Twitter search function), I put a little more stock in what Pete Thamel says.
sycasey
gobears15 said:

Quote:

Yup, I think it's reason to be more optimistic. While I have the utmost respect for MHver3's sources (i.e. the Twitter search function), I put a little more stock in what Pete Thamel says.
I trusted that BearGreg knew what was really going on. The mainstream reporting suggests that we are now close.
TheBearWontDie
sycasey said:

gobears15 said:

Quote:

I trusted that BearGreg knew what was really going on. The mainstream reporting suggests that we are now close.
Exactly. It may take a bit longer than expected as they are debating how to allocate the revenue, but the thesis has been generally vindicated. Calford wouldn't be coming in with zero revenue and the discussion has shifted from should they take them to what they should do with the new revenue.
BearBoarBlarney
In the most shocking development of all, twitter (now "X") user MHver3 has not posted anything in 2 days regurgitating what he's heard from elsewhere in the twitter-verse.
Oski87
If the ESPN reported increased distribution is true - which would mean that the ACC network would be able to take elevated carriage fees in Texas and California, which at this point still helps ESPN quite a bit - I would expect that the total revenue is 120 million, and if Cal and Furd take 25 million, for example, then there is 70 million to go to the other 14 members. That is 5 million each - not nothing. More than pays for travel, etc.

Cal and Furd will split air time for Olympic sports. Maybe we buy a jet together. Blue on one side, Red on the other. Football travel will be separate charters. The bigger issue is sending the gear truck all over the country. Probably have to have an east coast headquarters for that, shared by the two teams. Anyway, hopefully there is a path.
Anon378
The new revenue would not be distributed evenly in my opinion. I think that's the hold up here. How should it be distributed evenly? The 4 reported noes want it to be performance based.
Dothechop2
Hell do it!
UrsineMaximus
sycasey said:

baytobreakers said:

UrsineMaximus said:

Why is the prevalent assumption on this board that should the B!G expand further that it is Cal & 'furd as their 1st choice? It could be that the B!G is holding out until FSU & Clemson are free of their GoR, no?

Because Cal and Stanford are orphaned without a home at the moment While FSU is locked into a 13 year Grant of Rights.

Also it's assumed FSU and Clemson really want in to the SEC.

If the whole thing blows up then I wouldn't assume Cal/Stanford are the FIRST choice. But if the B1G wants more teams to fill out a western pod then they would be it.
It is also "assumed" that they want the B!G.
sycasey

Interesting from Silver here. As I understand it, NCAA rules prohibit basketball from being separated from other sports that your conference supports. I assume they would need to request a waiver for this. (But I also think leagues like the Big 10 and 12 would support this change too, as they have also become national conferences with multiple time zones to manage.)
mostang
JRL.02
Take it to the bank - if cal and Stanford join the acc, they'll be joining in all sports the acc offers. No way the ACC, if it invites them, let's Stanford baseball or women's basketball be taken up by a different conference lol
sycasey
mostang said:

Haha, well that's another view!

I wonder if this is sustainable in the long run (similarly, I also wonder if the former Pac schools in the Big 10/12 will find this sustainable for their other sports). But hey, if it must happen then it must happen.
ColoradoBear
Oski87 said:

If the ESPN reported increased distribution is true - which would mean that the ACC network would be able to take elevated carriage fees in Texas and California, which at this point still helps ESPN quite a bit - I would expect that the total revenue is 120 million, and if Cal and Furd take 25 million, for example, then there is 70 million to go to the other 14 members. That is 5 million each - not nothing. More than pays for travel, etc.

Cal and Furd will split air time for Olympic sports. Maybe we buy a jet together. Blue on one side, Red on the other. Football travel will be separate charters. The bigger issue is sending the gear truck all over the country. Probably have to have an east coast headquarters for that, shared by the two teams. Anyway, hopefully there is a path.

If Cal and Stanford could trigger a $120 Millon revenue increase, the two teams wouldn't be agreeing to a reduced share and would have $$$ invites from other conferences too.

My guess would be a $40-60 million revenue increase. I'm not sure what the current ACC deals pays per schools because there are typically yearly inflation escalators. The original contract was for $20 million per school, but that was before the ACCN. There are also conflicting reports on whether the extra ACCN revenue goes to ESPN with no oigation to pass it on to the ACC. Renegotiating all this could be another sticking point in the deal. And SMU is not a p5 school, so they might not trigger the same pro rated TV share, but would gain ACCN sub fees in Dallas.
BearSD
sycasey said:

mostang said:

I wonder if this is sustainable in the long run (similarly, I also wonder if the former Pac schools in the Big 10/12 will find this sustainable for their other sports). But hey, if it must happen then it must happen.
There is a possible (maybe likely) middle ground, which is participating in enough ACC sports to meet the NCAA minimum number of sports in the conference, and making arrangements to play other sports elsewhere. I read that Miami had an arrangement like that back when they first joined the Big East. At the time, the closest basketball-playing Big East member to Miami was Pittsburgh.
Big Dog
BearSD said:

sycasey said:

mostang said:

There is a possible (maybe likely) middle ground, which is participating in enough ACC sports to meet the NCAA minimum number of sports in the conference, and making arrangements to play other sports elsewhere. I read that Miami had an arrangement like that back when they first joined the Big East. At the time, the closest basketball-playing Big East member to Miami was Pittsburgh.
it really depends on how many sports we plan to continue carry. 30? 24?

Crew & Rugby are not ncaa sports. ACC does not have water polo. (Neither does teh BiG, for that matter.) Field hockey and lax are already east-coast centric.
golden sloth
BearSD said:

sycasey said:

mostang said:

BYU also had a deal where they operated as an independent in football but had all their other sports in the WCC.

Personally, i believe as the football conferences get bigger, there is going to be a split between the conference the school plays football in, and the conference all the school's other sports play in.

That just makes too much sense to not happen. Let football chase the money, have all the other sports be logistically pragmatic and regional.
Oski87
ColoradoBear said:

Oski87 said:

If Cal and Stanford could trigger a $120 Millon revenue increase, the two teams wouldn't be agreeing to a reduced share and would have $$$ invites from other conferences too.

My guess would be a $40-60 million revenue increase. I'm not sure what the current ACC deals pays per schools because there are typically yearly inflation escalators. The original contract was for $20 million per school, but that was before the ACCN. There are also conflicting reports on whether the extra ACCN revenue goes to ESPN with no oigation to pass it on to the ACC. Renegotiating all this could be another sticking point in the deal. And SMU is not a p5 school, so they might not trigger the same pro rated TV share, but would gain ACCN sub fees in Dallas.
My understanding of the revenue increase is the ACC contract with ESPN gives a full share to each new member. And so with SMU - this is about 120 million for the three of them - 40 million each. Cal and Furd take 60 - 70% and move up over time so somewhere around 25 - 30 million.
JRL.02
Auerbach just tweeted that her sources they believe the acc is closer to expanding that at any point in the last month.
sycasey
golden sloth said:

BearSD said:

sycasey said:

mostang said:

BYU also had a deal where they operated as an independent in football but had all their other sports in the WCC.

Personally, i believe as the football conferences get bigger, there is going to be a split between the conference the school plays football in, and the conference all the school's other sports play in.

That just makes too much sense to not happen. Let football chase the money, have all the other sports be logistically pragmatic and regional.
The football split is already possible. I think the new sticking point will be if basketball should also be an exception, given that it also probably needs to play by revenue-sport rules.
Big Dog
https://theathletic.com/4800635/2023/08/23/acc-cal-stanford-smu-expansion/
ColoradoBear
Oski87 said:

ColoradoBear said:

Oski87 said:

My understanding of the revenue increase is the ACC contract with ESPN gives a full share to each new member. And so with SMU - this is about 120 million for the three of them - 40 million each. Cal and Furd take 60 - 70% and move up over time so somewhere around 25 - 30 million.

ESPN is absolutely not paying the ACC $40 million per school. That's the total revenue distribution for the conference which includes NCAA tournament money, playoff money, and bowl money.

sosheezy
ColoradoBear said:

Oski87 said:

ColoradoBear said:

Oski87 said:

ESPN is absolutely not paying the ACC $40 million per school. That's the total revenue distribution for the conference which includes NCAA tournament money, playoff money, and bowl money.

The media deal is about $30-31M from what I could see (or was in 2022). My basic math was dividing $444M in TV revenue by 14.5 (giving ND a partial share). Apparently should be an uptick in 2023 due to full year of the Comcast carriage deal for ACCNetwork hitting. https://richmond.com/sports/college/teel-acc-reports-record-revenue-and-distributions-for-2021-22/article_779a5232-f66a-11ed-93b3-0f141c04f72d.html
TheBearWontDie

Chronicle believes it is imminent. Probably has a source in one of Calfurd. Though other national reporters have argued it would be an all-sports arrangement.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.