The latest on Conference Realignment and Cal - Saturday the 19th

189,850 Views | 1043 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
Vegas Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
juarezbear said:

stech81 said:

Econ141 said:

stech81 said:

hope this works

Sources: ACC presidents to meet on conference expansion on Monday night (yahoo.com)

And good luck

"The duo wishes to rebuild the Pac-12 already a tall hurdle that will be made more difficult without a brand like Stanford."

- hate how Cal is always discarded as an afterthought. We better bring something to the table over the next few years starting this year.
Don't worry Y'all we be fine you have a great school. And don't worry about FSU.( of as we say free shoes university) I really don't know a lot about y'all and Stanford I always thought the PAC10 was a good conference.
We have a hard time in recruiting when you tell them you have to take 3 years of calculus. Also, we lose players that graduate in 3 years. You will fine out most teams in the ACC have good fans. Maimi is a little deferent as they seem to fight with their own fans. (I
find this kind of funny)
I guess I'll have to watch your games on TV this year. Wish you and Stanford a great year and like to is Y'all finish 1 and 2 this year.
Um. Okay.

Thanks! I for one am super excited to start new traditions in the acc. Hope to see you in at Memorial some day!
calumnus
stech81 said:

Econ141 said:

stech81 said:

hope this works

Sources: ACC presidents to meet on conference expansion on Monday night (yahoo.com)

And good luck

"The duo wishes to rebuild the Pac-12 already a tall hurdle that will be made more difficult without a brand like Stanford."

- hate how Cal is always discarded as an afterthought. We better bring something to the table over the next few years starting this year.
Don't worry Y'all we be fine you have a great school. And don't worry about FSU.( of as we say free shoes university) I really don't know a lot about y'all and Stanford I always thought the PAC10 was a good conference.
We have a hard time in recruiting when you tell them you have to take 3 years of calculus. Also, we lose players that graduate in 3 years. You will fine out most teams in the ACC have good fans. Maimi is a little deferent as they seem to fight with their own fans. (I
find this kind of funny)
I guess I'll have to watch your games on TV this year. Wish you and Stanford a great year and like to is Y'all finish 1 and 2 this year.

Thanks, yes, I'm going to be paying a lot more attention to the ACC this year too.

Great campuses and great nearby cities. There will be a lot of Cal fans making the road trips for many years.
sycasey
calumnus said:

stech81 said:

Econ141 said:

stech81 said:

hope this works

And good luck

find this kind of funny)

Thanks, yes, I'm going to be paying a lot more attention to the ACC this year too.

Great campuses and great nearby cities. There will be a lot of Cal fans making the road trips for many years.

The ACC does have some nice major metropolitan areas to visit: Miami, Boston, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, NC research triangle, etc. Add Dallas if SMU is also added.
calumnus
sycasey said:

calumnus said:

stech81 said:

Econ141 said:

stech81 said:

hope this works

And good luck

find this kind of funny)

The ACC does have some nice major metropolitan areas to visit: Miami, Boston, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, NC research triangle, etc. Add Dallas if SMU is also added.

Plus New York City, Washington DC, Chicago….
Big C
GameDay said:

Cactus Jack: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Curtice

Wow, thanks, I had always assumed that "Jack" referred to Jack Christiansen, who was Furd Coach in the early '70s.
Big C
AndyHogan14 said:

Big C said:

^^^ Our song to that tune has some similar lyrics and the various verses are fantastic, if a bit off-color... okay, very much off-color.

A hidden site that cannot be found from the main page:

https://calspirit.berkeley.edu/anti.html#cardinalbedamned

Awesome. I see they have written a few new verses in the past 40 years!
Sactowndog
JB was a Chieftain said:

At first I was all in on playing UCLA but screw them!

"A" tier (Home/Away): SDSU, OSU, WSU, Boise St., BYU, Utah, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, ASU (maybe occasional SEC/Big10 school like Texas, MSU, etc.)
"B" tier (Home/Home/Away): SJSU, Hawaii, Fresno St., UNLV, UNR,
"C" tier (Home/Home): Davis, Sac St., N. Arizona, E. Washington, Cal Poly, Portland St., Idaho St., Montana

Might want to consider:
USC/UCLA will pay Fresno a ton of money to play in LA and Fresno fans travel to SoCal. That will continue.

AZ , ASU, Colorado, Utah, BYU all are going to want CA games and Fresno has strong Big-12 ties. Those will all come first before you. We will likely demand a H and H to give them one. We certainly should at best give you a H/H

Fresno and Cal fans don't much like each other so any game would if it happened at all would likely be in a neutral location. We might play you at So-Fi in years we aren't playing SC or UCLA.
youngbear1992
Strykur said:

berserkeley said:

It is mathematically impossible to have a odd number of teams play an odd number of conference matches.

"# of Teams" "Number of Games" 2 = "Total # of Games." If you have 6 teams playing 5 games each, then you have 15 games. 17 teams playing 9 games each would be 76.5 games. You can't have a game featuring only one team.
Also worth pointing out that several ACC teams have long-running OOC rivalries (Clemson and South Carolina, Florida State and Florida, Louisville and Kentucky, Georgia Tech and Georgia) so less inclination to push to more conference games, until the next realignment shuffle.
Yes, hadn't thought it fully through. Makes sense that 17 teams x 9 conf games doesn't work perfectly. Maybe they could make Stanford-Notre Dame a conf game for Stanford, but that seems way too janky.

I suspect the ACC would copy the Big Ten's "Flex Protect" model anyways and have 0-3 protected games for each school. Cal-Stanford obviously would be one. Matching up teams to maximize both TV and in-stadium viewing interest is the top priority while still rotating through all teams every 4 years or so. Other ACC teams would want access to Texas recruiting, so I'd guess SMU wouldn't have any protected rivalries to increase the rotation through Dallas.
JB was a Chieftain
Sactowndog said:

JB was a Chieftain said:

At first I was all in on playing UCLA but screw them!

"A" tier (Home/Away): SDSU, OSU, WSU, Boise St., BYU, Utah, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, ASU (maybe occasional SEC/Big10 school like Texas, MSU, etc.)
"B" tier (Home/Home/Away): SJSU, Hawaii, Fresno St., UNLV, UNR,
"C" tier (Home/Home): Davis, Sac St., N. Arizona, E. Washington, Cal Poly, Portland St., Idaho St., Montana

Might want to consider:
USC/UCLA will pay Fresno a ton of money to play in LA and Fresno fans travel to SoCal. That will continue.

AZ , ASU, Colorado, Utah, BYU all are going to want CA games and Fresno has strong Big-12 ties. Those will all come first before you. We will likely demand a H and H to give them one. We certainly should at best give you a H/H

Fresno and Cal fans don't much like each other so any game would if it happened at all would likely be in a neutral location. We might play you at So-Fi in years we aren't playing SC or UCLA.
This has absolutely nothing to do with Fresno St. I fixed my original post
Bowlesman80
That was my previous impression.
"Just win, baby."
Bowlesman80
Weird, but, unless playing Cal, I always root for CSUF. Of course, in no small part because I am from the Central Valley, but honestly, you keep cappin' on Cal and bloviating about Fresno, and I might change my thinking.
"Just win, baby."
dimitrig
Bowlesman80 said:

Weird, but, unless playing Cal, I always root for CSUF. Of course, in no small part because I am from the Central Valley, but honestly, you keep cappin' on Cal and bloviating about Fresno, and I might change my thinking.

I have never heard anything about Cal fans not liking Fresno fans.

I never even think about Fresno.

calbear93
dimitrig said:

Bowlesman80 said:

Throwing batteries may have been before your time.
Bowlesman80
dimitrig said:

Bowlesman80 said:

LOL. Agree, but I do think about Fresno, since I have family there. If anything there's the Tedford connection that we share.
"Just win, baby."
Bowlesman80
"Throwing batteries"? As in assault? Why batteries?
You should have seen what the student section did to Furd "Band" back in the 70s.
"Just win, baby."
philly1121
dimitrig said:

Bowlesman80 said:

Nah man I call bs on that. There is alot of hate and snarkiness toward Fresno State and the Valley. If its not insults to the fans, its their academics. If its not that, then its making fun of our air - which is admittedly poor. Or that we are the Bible Belt of California. And maybe we are. But comparisons of the Central Valley to Kentucky are wayy overboard and inaccurate.

There are so many people buying houses in the Madera and Fresno areas - either to purchase or live - that its skyrocketing home prices here. Places like Tesoro Viejo or other developments are being driven by out-migration from the Bay Area. This is old news but - the CV isn't the hick, backwards, bible-thumping population it is often labeled. Please keep that in mind.

And I'm not trying to hijack the thread. Just stating my opinion/observations.
Econ141
I loved the Fresno st win vs UCLA. I tend to vote for any west coast team and especially Fresno st with them having Tedford and other Cal transfers.
BearBoarBlarney
Econ141 said:

I loved the Fresno st win vs UCLA. I tend to vote for any west coast team and especially Fresno st with them having Tedford and other Cal transfers.

That was about as heroic performance by Fresno State QB Jake Hainer (spelling?) in that game when they knocked off UCLA 2 or 3 years back. He was getting absolutely killed all night, seemed like he could barely walk let alone throw towards the end, and yet he willed the Bulldogs to victory. One of the guttiest performances I've ever seen.

chazzed
calumnus said:

sycasey said:

calumnus said:

stech81 said:

Econ141 said:

stech81 said:

hope this works

And good luck

find this kind of funny)

Which ACC school is in or near Chicago?
LongTimeBearFan
chazzed said:

calumnus said:

sycasey said:

calumnus said:

stech81 said:

Econ141 said:

stech81 said:

hope this works

And good luck

find this kind of funny)

Which ACC school is in or near Chicago?
That would be Notre Dame...
Big Dog
ND is closest, and then Pitt.

But for United flyers, most flights to the ACC go thru O-Hare.
Econ141
BearBoarBlarney said:

Econ141 said:

That was about as heroic performance by Fresno State QB Jake Hainer (spelling?) in that game when they knocked off UCLA 2 or 3 years back. He was getting absolutely killed all night, seemed like he could barely walk let alone throw towards the end, and yet he willed the Bulldogs to victory. One of the guttiest performances I've ever seen.

Exactly - these are the type of games and match ups I will miss if college football moves to one singular super conference
Bowlesman80
Born (late 50s) and raised in Modesto.
Lived there, mostly, through 2011; saw the town go through some changes:

1. 30K to 300+K population
2. Stores closed on Sundays and open late only Thursdays to mostly 7 days a week, with some 24/7.
3. People waving to strangers to menacing looks, now
4. Crime practically zero to record crimes against persons and property

The Bay Area does not send its best. Understandably, many of the new neighbors are lower income escaping inner city crime in the Bay Area, hoping their children get away from the influences of gangs, except, too often, they bring the gang life with them. Our town was not perfect before, maybe just more manageable, being smaller. Yes, the air quality is bad, but owing to a thermal layer holding the polluted air in and a good share of the bad air seeping right over the Altamont from the Bay Area, which seems to honestly believe it has no part in California's pollutions problems, since Bay air there is clean as the Bay breezes blow it into the adjoining valleys. One could probably hear the same story about Livermore Valley, Santa Clara Valley, Napa Valley, and more, but I am just throwing out my own experience. I used to enjoy San Francisco, too, ten times more when it it was much smaller. I think the density of population is the core problem and makes people feel confined like zoo animals.

Anyway. Snottin' on the Valley is more symptomatic of urban hubris than any else. Trash talk, pure and simple. And not all Cal Bears come from the high and mighty urban jungle, so we do not become a house divided, I would ask our fellow Bears not to throw batteries at the Valley. LOL
"Just win, baby."
ferCALgm2
Bowlesman80 said:

Born (late 50s) and raised in Modesto.
Lived there, mostly, through 2011; saw the town go through some changes:

1. 30K to 300+K population
2. Stores closed on Sundays and open late only Thursdays to mostly 7 days a week, with some 24/7.
3. People waving to strangers to menacing looks, now
4. Crime practically zero to record crimes against persons and property

The Bay Area does not send its best. Understandably, many of the new neighbors are lower income escaping inner city crime in the Bay Area, hoping their children get away from the influences of gangs, except, too often, they bring the gang life with them. Our town was not perfect before, maybe just more manageable being smaller. Yes, the air quality is bad, but owing to a thermal layer holding the polluted air in and a good share of the bad air seeps right over the Altamont from the Bay Area, which seems to honestly believe it has no part in California's pollutions problems, since the air there is clean. One could probably hear the same story about Livermore Valley, Santa Clara Valley, Napa Valley, and more, but I am just throwing out my own experience. I used to enjoy San Francisco, too, ten times more when it it was much smaller. I think the density of population is the core problem and makes people feel confined like zoo animals.

Anyway. Snottin' on the Valley is more symptomatic of urban hubris than any else. Trash talk, pure and simple. And not all Cal Bears come from the high and mighty urban jungle, so we do not become a house divided, I would ask our fellow Bears not to throw batteries at the Valley. LOL

I think all this piling against the Valley is because of that Fresno St fan that kept posting repeatedly about how UC Berkeley is to blame for all Fresno State's academics problems and in extension Valley's financial problems. He wouldn't stop and everyone grew tired of him quick.
91Cal
philly1121 said:

dimitrig said:

Bowlesman80 said:

Nah man I call bs on that. There is alot of hate and snarkiness toward Fresno State and the Valley. If its not insults to the fans, its their academics. If its not that, then its making fun of our air - which is admittedly poor. Or that we are the Bible Belt of California. And maybe we are. But comparisons of the Central Valley to Kentucky are wayy overboard and inaccurate.

There are so many people buying houses in the Madera and Fresno areas - either to purchase or live - that its skyrocketing home prices here. Places like Tesoro Viejo or other developments are being driven by out-migration from the Bay Area. This is old news but - the CV isn't the hick, backwards, bible-thumping population it is often labeled. Please keep that in mind.

And I'm not trying to hijack the thread. Just stating my opinion/observations.
What is this "alot of hate and snarkiness toward Fresno State and the Valley" you're calling out? It is focused entirely on their treatment of Cal fans in Fresno and to a lesser extent their behavior in Berkeley.

I root for Sac State, Davis, Bakersfield and, yes, even Fresno whenever they compete against anyone other than Cal. In the case of FSU, especially as Tedford is there, but also under Jim Sweeney, Pat Hill, TDR and DeBoer...they have a history of a strong program. That said, their behavior was so bad...people mentioned batteries above, but it was also unprovoked slurs and swearing at families with kids and showering with beer cups and cans...unless you consider wearing blue and gold provoking. They have done a great job of taking on the mantle of representing the Valley, placing a chip on their shoulder and playing up the big bad Cal & UCLA. But are not the whole Valley.

*** rant over ***
Bowlesman80
Inexcusable, but sounds isolated, unorganized, and criminal. Not representing the whole Valley.
I vaguely remember something like this, but I am also reasonably confident that this sort of thing would not have happened 30 or more years ago. That being said, in the 70s, I remember slingshots projecting oranges at Furd "Band."
"Just win, baby."
Bowlesman80
Yes, he almost has me changing my thinking.
"Just win, baby."
Dothechop2
concernedparent
Bowlesman80 said:

I used to enjoy San Francisco, too, ten times more when it it was much smaller. I think the density of population is the core problem and makes people feel confined like zoo animals.

San Francisco has gained 25,000 people since 1950. The density has always been part of the charm, same as any other world class city (e.g. NYC, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna, Singapore, Seoul, etc.).
JimSox
Dothechop2 said:

Here we go. She says we still don't have the votes but talks continue. Same song we've been hearing for almost a month. On and on and on.
nikeykid

it'll all be over thursday or friday. or never.
HateRed
How does anyone know, other than the ADs and presidents/chancellors whether there are enough votes for CAL/the dark side/SMU to get into the ACC? I hate all these conjectures from every one. Why are they voting if there are not enough votes? If there are not enough votes then they would probably just say that and that's that. I've been checking Sports Illustrated and news sources and so far haven't seen anything about any vote Thursday or Friday.
BearSD
HateRed said:

How does anyone know, other than the ADs and presidents/chancellors whether there are enough votes for CAL/the dark side/SMU to get into the ACC? I hate all these conjectures from every one. Why are they voting if there are not enough votes? If there are not enough votes then they would probably just say that and that's that. I've been checking Sports Illustrated and news sources and so far haven't seen anything about any vote Thursday or Friday.
We don't know for sure. Everyone who is "reporting" (or speculating) is rooting for one outcome or the other.
calbear93
Bowlesman80 said:

"Throwing batteries"? As in assault? Why batteries?
You should have seen what the student section did to Furd "Band" back in the 70s.
Unlike Fresno State, we are tied to Stanford and previously USC (when our fans threw apples at Traveler). Throwing batteries and beer bottles is not a great way to get other schools to schedule them out of conference.
calumnus
HateRed said:

Nobody knows for sure, even the presidents. What is generally agreed is they are having discussions and will not all meet for a formal vote unless they think they have enough yes votes going in. They were going to meet which indicated they got at least 12 in straw polling. Then there was a shooting on the UNC campus and the meeting was postponed. So all indications are that they have the yes votes, but nothing is official until it is official.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.