The latest on Conference Realignment and Cal - Saturday the 19th

190,281 Views | 1043 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
75bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JimSox said:

nikeykid said:

LFG TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT !!

If we get another "meeting canceleddidn't have the votes" I think I might lose my mind.
JimSox, you are going to give yourself heart palpitations or worse if you don't just step back and enjoy the ride.
Cal_79
JimSox said:

nikeykid said:

If we get another "meeting canceleddidn't have the votes" I think I might lose my mind.

Say goodnight, Jim.

BTW, losing one's mind in a situation over which you have zero control is a personal choice...
golden sloth
APT43Bear said:

JimSox said:

nikeykid said:

That is a red herring, it's really to give the B1G time to make an offer.

And yes, that is sarcasm.
nikeykid
ok ok tomorrow is the day! yes!! no more delays!

please....
Anon378
It is absolutely the right call to postpone the meeting.
Dothechop2
Haven't rescheduled yet. Tomorrow or Wednesday.
JimSox
Dothechop2 said:

So that's when we'll get the "meeting canceled, didn't have the votes."
Good to know. I won't have to lose my mind until then.
Dothechop2
It's happening they wouldn't call a meeting if they didn't have the votes
GoCal80
JimSox
JimSox said:

Dothechop2 said:

So that's when we'll get the "meeting canceled, didn't have the votes."
Good to know. I won't have to lose my mind until then.
I apologize for the snark in the above post. Didn't realize how serious the situation was. Just read that a faculty member was killed. Thankfully a suspect is in custody and the university has issued an all clear.
stech81
Econ141 said:

stech81 said:

hope this works

Sources: ACC presidents to meet on conference expansion on Monday night (yahoo.com)

And good luck

"The duo wishes to rebuild the Pac-12 already a tall hurdle that will be made more difficult without a brand like Stanford."

- hate how Cal is always discarded as an afterthought. We better bring something to the table over the next few years starting this year.
Don't worry Y'all we be fine you have a great school. And don't worry about FSU.( of as we say free shoes university) I really don't know a lot about y'all and Stanford I always thought the PAC10 was a good conference.
We have a hard time in recruiting when you tell them you have to take 3 years of calculus. Also, we lose players that graduate in 3 years. You will fine out most teams in the ACC have good fans. Maimi is a little deferent as they seem to fight with their own fans. (I
find this kind of funny)
I guess I'll have to watch your games on TV this year. Wish you and Stanford a great year and like to is Y'all finish 1 and 2 this year.
juarezbear
stech81 said:

Econ141 said:

stech81 said:

hope this works

Sources: ACC presidents to meet on conference expansion on Monday night (yahoo.com)

And good luck

"The duo wishes to rebuild the Pac-12 already a tall hurdle that will be made more difficult without a brand like Stanford."

- hate how Cal is always discarded as an afterthought. We better bring something to the table over the next few years starting this year.
Don't worry Y'all we be fine you have a great school. And don't worry about FSU.( of as we say free shoes university) I really don't know a lot about y'all and Stanford I always thought the PAC10 was a good conference.
We have a hard time in recruiting when you tell them you have to take 3 years of calculus. Also, we lose players that graduate in 3 years. You will fine out most teams in the ACC have good fans. Maimi is a little deferent as they seem to fight with their own fans. (I
find this kind of funny)
I guess I'll have to watch your games on TV this year. Wish you and Stanford a great year and like to is Y'all finish 1 and 2 this year.
Um. Okay.
Dothechop2
Same ***
Econ141

oski003
Because UNC had an active shooter on campus today who shot and killed a faculty member...
sycasey
Econ141 said:

stech81 said:

hope this works

And good luck

It's a weird thing. Stanford seems to have the bigger national brand and is discussed as such in the national media (probably helps that they have had more recent football success). But there are definitely more Cal fans local to the Bay Area and Northern California, as the attendance figures prove.

(Hence why it makes sense to invite both if you are going after the market.)
golden sloth
oski003 said:

Because UNC had an active shooter on campus today who shot and killed a faculty member...

Yes, and delaying the vote is the appropriate course of action to take given the circumstances.
TomBear
stech81 said:

First Tech guy here (and when you get in the ACC which I hope you do Tech is Georgia Tech not that other school in Virgina they are VPI)

I really hope Stanford, SMU, and Y'all ( Cal ) get voted into the ACC. I'm not sure what the heck UNC and NC State are thinking so far. They don't vote the same way on anything.

Clemson I could see them coming around they really are good people. Great fans to tailgate with always nice.

As far as FSU I wish they would pay the money and go. They still are living in the Bobby Bowden days. Last year was the first year they had a winning record since 2017 and they were only 7-6 that year. (and they think they should get more money than the rest of the conference hell they should give part of their money back)
All the rest of the schools are fine good fans.

I know Y'all are sick of this thing taking so long.

And I get sick of the TV and sportswriters saying we are looking at the leftovers. I think all 3 are great schools who care about academics first.

I don't like to get someone's hopes up but the word we are hearing they will get all the presidents on the phone tonight ( and we will see if the vote tonight)

No matter what happens I wish Y'all and the other 2 schools the best of luck.

We finally got the last coach fired (he was a trip or clown) and have someone Brent Key ( past player as a new head coach so I'm feeling he will turn thing around for us, being a past player he knows what it takes the go to schoo; at Tech and play football, guess we will see Friday night.
Thanks stech81. When I was a lumber broker I had an account in Atlanta who sent me a program from one of your games. You may know that Tech and Cal share a similar song (different lyrics of course), and I drove by your stadium on a trip to Atlanta in the off season. Like Cal, your stadium is steeped in tradition, and I'm glad you haven't razed it in order to be "modern".

You also have some of the best lyrics ever in your main fight song:

" Oh, if I had a daughter, sir, I'd dress her in White and Gold,
And put her on the campus, to cheer the brave and bold.
But if I had a son, sir, I'll tell you what he'd do.
He would yell, "To Hell with Georgia!!!," like his daddy used to do."

The more I think about this the more excited and enthused I am. I think some coast to coast rivalries would be very interesting. As you pointed out, some of the institutions are heavy on academics. I think that makes for a nice fit. Tech has some really interesting football history too.

You may or may not know a rather infamous play came in a game between Cal and Tech in the 1929 Rose Bowl, when our Center, Roy Riegels, recovered a Tech Fumble and ran 65 yards for a touchdown.........in the wrong end zone!!! Cal lost that game 8-7.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4jd4KhtJbc][/url]

Another interesting piece of trivia related to Cal and the ACC is that during World War 2, our beloved Rose Bowl was moved from Pasadena to Durham N.C. for fear of possible Japanese attack!

Your point about the Clemson fans has been mentioned many times to me. Their rugby team has become pretty good and has played some really good competition as well.

If this thing goes through, come out west and enjoy another old, great stadium, some fun history, and a great band!

"To Hell with Georgia!"

[url=https://www.lyricsondemand.com/miscellaneouslyrics/fightsongslyrics/georgiatechfightsonglyrics.html][/url]
Big C
^^^ Our song to that tune has some similar lyrics and the various verses are fantastic, if a bit off-color... okay, very much off-color.
Bowlesman80
TomBear said:

stech81 said:

First Tech guy here (and when you get in the ACC which I hope you do Tech is Georgia Tech not that other school in Virgina they are VPI)

I really hope Stanford, SMU, and Y'all ( Cal ) get voted into the ACC. I'm not sure what the heck UNC and NC State are thinking so far. They don't vote the same way on anything.

Clemson I could see them coming around they really are good people. Great fans to tailgate with always nice.

As far as FSU I wish they would pay the money and go. They still are living in the Bobby Bowden days. Last year was the first year they had a winning record since 2017 and they were only 7-6 that year. (and they think they should get more money than the rest of the conference hell they should give part of their money back)

And I get sick of the TV and sportswriters saying we are looking at the leftovers. I think all 3 are great schools who care about academics first.

I don't like to get someone's hopes up but the word we are hearing they will get all the presidents on the phone tonight ( and we will see if the vote tonight)

We finally got the last coach fired (he was a trip or clown) and have someone Brent Key ( past player as a new head coach so I'm feeling he will turn thing around for us, being a past player he knows what it takes the go to schoo; at Tech and play football, guess we will see Friday night.
Thanks stech81. When I was a lumber broker I had an account in Atlanta who sent me a program from one of your games. You may know that Tech and Cal share a similar song (different lyrics of course), and I drove by your stadium on a trip to Atlanta in the off season. Like Cal, your stadium is steeped in tradition, and I'm glad you haven't razed it in order to be "modern".

The more I think about this the more excited and enthused I am. I think some coast to coast rivalries would be very interesting. As you pointed out, some of the institutions are heavy on academics. I think that makes for a nice fit. Tech has some really interesting football history too.

You may or may not know a rather infamous play came in a game between Cal and Tech in the 1929 Rose Bowl, when our Center, Roy Riegels, recovered a Tech Fumble and ran 65 yards for a touchdown.........in the wrong end zone!!! Cal lost that game 8-7.

Another interesting piece of trivia related to Cal and the ACC is that during World War 2, our beloved Rose Bowl was moved from Pasadena to Durham N.C. for fear of possible Japanese attack!

Your point about the Clemson fans has been mentioned many times to me. Their rugby team has become pretty good and has played some really good competition as well.

If this thing goes through, come out west and enjoy another old, great stadium, some fun history, and a great band!

"To Hell with Georgia!"

[url=https://www.lyricsondemand.com/miscellaneouslyrics/fightsongslyrics/georgiatechfightsonglyrics.html][/url]
"Whatta' ya' have?
Whatta' ya' have?"

I wanna see the Varsity.
"Just win, baby."
91Cal
sycasey said:

Econ141 said:

stech81 said:

hope this works

And good luck

It's a weird thing. Stanford seems to have the bigger national brand and is discussed as such in the national media (probably helps that they have had more recent football success). But there are definitely more Cal fans local to the Bay Area and Northern California, as the attendance figures prove.

Well, the Furd did have a bit more success over the last 10-15 years than our beloved Bears.
AndyHogan14
Big C said:

^^^ Our song to that tune has some similar lyrics and the various verses are fantastic, if a bit off-color... okay, very much off-color.

A hidden site that cannot be found from the main page:

https://calspirit.berkeley.edu/anti.html#cardinalbedamned
Bowlesman80
AndyHogan14 said:

Big C said:

A hidden site that cannot be found from the main page:

https://calspirit.berkeley.edu/anti.html#cardinalbedamned
I never was sure who Cactus Jack was, but sang along anyway. LOL
"Just win, baby."
Econ141

Bowlesman80
Econ141 said:

Funniest damned thing I have seen during this whole kerfuffle.
"Just win, baby."
calumnus
91Cal said:

sycasey said:

Econ141 said:

stech81 said:

hope this works

And good luck

Well, the Furd did have a bit more success over the last 10-15 years than our beloved Bears.

Since 1970 they have been to 6 Rose Bowls, 3 in the last ten years.

Cal has not been since 1959. We have come close a few times though, 1975, 1991, 2004, 2006, but only Cal fans know about that.
sycasey
91Cal said:

sycasey said:

Econ141 said:

stech81 said:

hope this works

And good luck

Yes, that's what I meant when I wrote "probably helps that they have had more recent football success."
Bowlesman80
And, by "recent", that means over the past 60+ years.
"Just win, baby."
91Cal
sycasey said:

91Cal said:

sycasey said:

Econ141 said:

stech81 said:

hope this works

And good luck

Yes, that's what I meant when I wrote "probably helps that they have had more recent football success."

Your parenthetical really did need to be reiterated...

;-)
MTbear22
Bowlesman80 said:

Econ141 said:

Side note: kerfuffle is a tragically underutilized word.
Bowlesman80
MTbear22 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

Econ141 said:

Side note: kerfuffle is a tragically underutilized word.
Welp, we gotta' represent our deep and arcane lexicon, if we can't do better in football.
"Just win, baby."
DemonDeke
Exit fee is 3x annual revenue, so ~$40mm x 3 = $120mm.

GOR is indefinite, but envelope math is 12 x $40mm = $480mm.

Then negotiate or litigate.

I'd let FSU go for $400mm, no problem. If both Clemson and FSU, then $500mm each. If UNC included, then full price (I only care about UNC and Clemson, but don't want to encourage them!)
juarezbear
Bowlesman80 said:

TomBear said:

stech81 said:

"To Hell with Georgia!"

"Whatta' ya' have?
Whatta' ya' have?"

I wanna see the Varsity.

I spend a ton of time in Atlanta for work and have driven by the Tech campus numerous times. Great location in mid-town right off 75/85. Great food nearby. Two of my favorite restaurants - The Optimist and Antico Pizza.
GameDay
Cactus Jack: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Curtice
Bowlesman80
Wow. for just five years at Furd, with a losing record, it's interesting he earned a song.
"Just win, baby."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.