Coronavirus and upcoming season

80,808 Views | 590 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
BearlyCareAnymore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

I suppose quite a few have stocked-up on food and supplies recently. We have what we call our family "store" in the garage, basically shelves of goods that we transition into the kitchen. We are always pretty well-stocked, including respirators and N95 masks purchased well after the last outbreak, before this one...

Speaking of stock, plenty of shares available for those with the stomach! S&P 500 did a nice, predictable bounce moments ago just above 3,000 (support/resistance spot), triggering some buys for me. Have more at lower prices, should the downtrend continue...
Yes, my family has been involved in "prepping" since Y2K. One tip however. Don't advertise what you have to others that you may not know well or trust. In reading over a dozen disaster preparedness books, I found the last chapters usually devoted to "protecting your stuff". The common theme being, when people get desperate (thirsty, hungry, etc), things can turn bad quickly. My advice is to come to some agreement with fellow preppers, who you need to trade with and support, but keep this very private. Some preppers even disguise their caches and hide what they have.
Ah. There's the rub. You prepped, while the idiots did not. The ants and the grasshoppers. You were right all along. Now they beg and when you deny them, they storm your castle. What do you rain down on them, lead and righteous indignation or food and compassion?
My beliefs and choices:

1. Prepare for a reasonable worst case scenario - a local disaster that requires people to fend for themselves for a short time until help can be drawn from unaffected areas.

2. Believe that when a particular region is hard hit by some kind of disaster, humans are basically good and unlike the movies they band together and help comes from outside. This belief is pretty well supported by history.

3. Realize, that the circumstances that would lead to Thunderdome haven't occurred on Earth in the last 60 million years and that preparing for a once every 60 million year apocalypse isn't economically sound behavior.

4. Realize that I probably don't want to survive that badly that I want to live in Thunderdome.

5. Realize that even if I want to survive in Thunderdome, unless I have a well stocked arsenal and a large able bodied militia to use it, and the willingness to gun down hungry people, if it actually does get that bad, someone is going to shoot me for my goods anyway. You can hide your goods, but you can't hide the fact that you are well fed. And, of course, this would require that I not only stock enough supplies for myself, but need to stock enough supplies for enough people to be able to defend those supplies. And, by the way, hope that none of those people turn on the rest of us.

6. Since 5 is not feasible, and 4 is a true statement, move back to #1.

Beyond #1, you are just taking ineffective measures to put your mind at ease against an extremely unlikely threat.
OdontoBear66
OaktownBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

I suppose quite a few have stocked-up on food and supplies recently. We have what we call our family "store" in the garage, basically shelves of goods that we transition into the kitchen. We are always pretty well-stocked, including respirators and N95 masks purchased well after the last outbreak, before this one...

Speaking of stock, plenty of shares available for those with the stomach! S&P 500 did a nice, predictable bounce moments ago just above 3,000 (support/resistance spot), triggering some buys for me. Have more at lower prices, should the downtrend continue...
Yes, my family has been involved in "prepping" since Y2K. One tip however. Don't advertise what you have to others that you may not know well or trust. In reading over a dozen disaster preparedness books, I found the last chapters usually devoted to "protecting your stuff". The common theme being, when people get desperate (thirsty, hungry, etc), things can turn bad quickly. My advice is to come to some agreement with fellow preppers, who you need to trade with and support, but keep this very private. Some preppers even disguise their caches and hide what they have.
Ah. There's the rub. You prepped, while the idiots did not. The ants and the grasshoppers. You were right all along. Now they beg and when you deny them, they storm your castle. What do you rain down on them, lead and righteous indignation or food and compassion?
My beliefs and choices:

1. Prepare for a reasonable worst case scenario - a local disaster that requires people to fend for themselves for a short time until help can be drawn from unaffected areas.

2. Believe that when a particular region is hard hit by some kind of disaster, humans are basically good and unlike the movies they band together and help comes from outside. This belief is pretty well supported by history.

3. Realize, that the circumstances that would lead to Thunderdome haven't occurred on Earth in the last 60 million years and that preparing for a once every 60 million year apocalypse isn't economically sound behavior.

4. Realize that I probably don't want to survive that badly that I want to live in Thunderdome.

5. Realize that even if I want to survive in Thunderdome, unless I have a well stocked arsenal and a large able bodied militia to use it, and the willingness to gun down hungry people, if it actually does get that bad, someone is going to shoot me for my goods anyway. You can hide your goods, but you can't hide the fact that you are well fed. And, of course, this would require that I not only stock enough supplies for myself, but need to stock enough supplies for enough people to be able to defend those supplies. And, by the way, hope that none of those people turn on the rest of us.

Beyond #1, you are just taking ineffective measures to put your mind at ease against an extremely unlikely threat.
This seems to be the consensus thinking on the virus. The biggest problem is not the virus itself but the fear it generates and subsequent actions/reactions. Good post Oaktown
LunchTime
UrsaMajor said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

AK-47s or AR-15s (50 cal machine guns still being illegal); that's the ticket.
There will be plenty laying around when it comes time to need one.
TandemBear
BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

And unfortunately, the unprepared are just as well armed as you, or better!
TheFiatLux
OdontoBear66 said:

OaktownBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

My beliefs and choices:

This seems to be the consensus thinking on the virus. The biggest problem is not the virus itself but the fear it generates and subsequent actions/reactions. Good post Oaktown

Yeah, this is definitely the vibe I'm getting. I think businesses are overreacting but no one wants to be that business that stays open and someone ends up getting sick. Our Santa Clara office is closed next week with, honestly, no real rational reason. I'm still in Barcelona, was only scheduld to be here four nights but i thought what the hell, what's the hurry in getting back i can just work from here, and here is Barcelona... so i'm on nine nights now, scheduled to fly back tomorrow, but i have a feeling it will be another day.

This is going to be a bad quarter for people / companies. I hope they have the agility in managment to see it through.
OdontoBear66
TheFiatLux said:

OdontoBear66 said:

OaktownBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

My beliefs and choices:

Yeah, this is definitely the vibe I'm getting. I think businesses are overreacting but no one wants to be that business that stays open and someone ends up getting sick. Our Santa Clara office is closed next week with, honestly, no real rational reason. I'm still in Barcelona, was only scheduld to be here four nights but i thought what the hell, what's the hurry in getting back i can just work from here, and here is Barcelona... so i'm on nine nights now, scheduled to fly back tomorrow, but i have a feeling it will be another day.

This is going to be a bad quarter for people / companies. I hope they have the agility in managment to see it through.
Kinda interesting. Like your attitude. The grandchild at UW where they have gone on internet teaching/testing is coming home to the Bay Area. Another in Wash DC will come home to SoCal if her company goes "work from home". This seems to be a reasonable solution for those who can, which can effect pretty good results.
TandemBear
OdontoBear66 said:

TheFiatLux said:

OdontoBear66 said:

OaktownBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

My beliefs and choices:

Kinda interesting. Like your attitude. The grandchild at UW where they have gone on internet teaching/testing is coming home to the Bay Area. Another in Wash DC will come home to SoCal if her company goes "work from home". This seems to be a reasonable solution for those who can, which can effect pretty good results.
It seems to me it isn't as much a matter of where you are (unless in Wuhan, or other known area of high infection rates), but rather the travel. I'd stay put and avoid airplanes, trains, boats or any other form of high-density travel if I could. But you can't stay away forever. So if I were forced to fly, I'd definitely be wearing a mask (counter to my previous posts) and other PPE. Heck, can you bring SCUBA tanks onboard???

Perhaps this is the time we should hold the airline industry to a higher standard. Why is it acceptable that they recirculate air throughout the cabin, treating each and every one to everyone else's emissions? Heck, have CPAP masks above every seat so travelers could breathe their own fresh air. (There IS fresh air at 35,000 feet, right???) I can't believe we're forced to sit in petri dishes every time we fly and bring home infections as a result. Now my concern is based on anecdotal evidence, but there HAVE to be studies out there showing that air travel presents a heightened infection risk. There's no way this isn't the case.
TheFiatLux
TandemBear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

TheFiatLux said:

OdontoBear66 said:

OaktownBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

My beliefs and choices:

It seems to me it isn't as much a matter of where you are (unless in Wuhan, or other known area of high infection rates), but rather the travel. I'd stay put and avoid airplanes, trains, boats or any other form of high-density travel if I could. But you can't stay away forever. So if I were forced to fly, I'd definitely be wearing a mask (counter to my previous posts) and other PPE. Heck, can you bring SCUBA tanks onboard???

Perhaps this is the time we should hold the airline industry to a higher standard. Why is it acceptable that they recirculate air throughout the cabin, treating each and every one to everyone else's emissions? Heck, have CPAP masks above every seat so travelers could breathe their own fresh air. (There IS fresh air at 35,000 feet, right???) I can't believe we're forced to sit in petri dishes every time we fly and bring home infections as a result. Now my concern is based on anecdotal evidence, but there HAVE to be studies out there showing that air travel presents a heightened infection risk. There's no way this isn't the case.

This is one of those interesting things. Airlines have done a great job on the air in the planes, filtering it thoroughly. in fact it's probably better air than in any other enclosed space you are. My United flight through Frankfurt into Barcelona last Wednesday was EMPTY. Made the flight nice, but it can't go on like that.
510 Bear
TheFiatLux said:

This is one of those interesting things. Airlines have done a great job on the air in the planes, filtering it thoroughly. in fact it's probably better air than in any other enclosed space you are. My United flight through Frankfurt into Barcelona last Wednesday was EMPTY. Made the flight nice, but it can't go on like that.

From what I read, the problem isn't caused so much by what the airlines are doing with their air filtration systems as it is the crowds on planes and the fact that you're trapped in close proximity to so many people for however long. As well as the dry air, which newer planes like the 787 are somewhat improving. But other than that, it doesn't sound like the airlines are to blame, despite the negative halo effect caused by all the other ways they make economy-class travel a hellish experience.
UrsaMajor
TheFiatLux said:

TandemBear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

TheFiatLux said:

OdontoBear66 said:

OaktownBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

My beliefs and choices:

Last estimate was a loss of $113 billion for the industry.
72CalBear
TandemBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

For those of you who live with people who are also "prepared" somewhat and aren't prone to crime in general - good on you! Go ahead and open your caches for all to share! You know, your dehydrated yogurt for someone's 1/2 pint of brandy, or whatever. But when the "other" neighbors who simply want all of our stuff arrive - or else! What then? Home protection shotguns blaring?? No one is saying that people are "idiots" for not preparing, but you need to set some boundaries for the essentials to keep YOUR family alive and safe.

The severed supply chain surely can or will affect our supplies (find any water, Clorox or TP at Cosco today?) - including food, medicine, etc. Manufacturers get viruses too. Gasoline? Energy workers quarantined?

No, it's not Armageddon, but unlike our typically localized natural emergencies, where there is outside help via the outside, a real "national health emergency" can be quite isolating - especially when the workforce and supply avenues are shut down.

So, if you want to share your stuff and be compassionate, please send me your full address and when I run out of anything, I'll come over. The ARC won't be answering their phones, and neither will the power companies. Amazon is already keeping employees home. And by the way, stockpile school texts and be prepared to teach your kids like you expect us teachers to do in emergencies.
GoCal80
Stanford limiting attendance at sporting events. ".... attendance limits at Maples Pavillion would be 2,345 for basketball." https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/06/ncaa-is-preparing-coronavirus-its-complicated/
LunchTime
72CalBear said:

TandemBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

For those of you who live with people who are also "prepared" somewhat and aren't prone to crime in general - good on you! Go ahead and open your caches for all to share! You know, your dehydrated yogurt for someone's 1/2 pint of brandy, or whatever. But when the "other" neighbors who simply want all of our stuff arrive - or else! What then? Home protection shotguns blaring?? No one is saying that people are "idiots" for not preparing, but you need to set some boundaries for the essentials to keep YOUR family alive and safe.

The severed supply chain surely can or will affect our supplies (find any water, Clorox or TP at Cosco today?) - including food, medicine, etc. Manufacturers get viruses too. Gasoline? Energy workers quarantined?

No, it's not Armageddon, but unlike our typically localized natural emergencies, where there is outside help via the outside, a real "national health emergency" can be quite isolating - especially when the workforce and supply avenues are shut down.

So, if you want to share your stuff and be compassionate, please send me your full address and when I run out of anything, I'll come over. The ARC won't be answering their phones, and neither will the power companies. Amazon is already keeping employees home. And by the way, stockpile school texts and be prepared to teach your kids like you expect us teachers to do in emergencies.

Sorry, the first one I can let go, but the scenario you are presenting is a fantasy. I have read the guide books, too. They are written as apocalyptic fiction.

There are all kinds of levels to prep, but the mad max scenario you think you'll survive because you didn't tell your friends you had 3 months or 3 years of food doesn't exist. Starving people recognize non starving people.

TBH any prep that isnt the gym, being a mechanic and primitive survival isn't SHTF prep. Food and water is a short term supply disruption solution.
pingpong2
Stanford cancelled all classes and is doing take-home exams for the rest of the quarter.

Let's see what Cal does. I suspect we won't do squat until some cases on campus are detected.
wifeisafurd
great Cal finally is one favorite to take the North Davison and at least compete for the Rose Bowl birth and the season gets canceled as schools shut down. Like Charlie Brown with the rain cloud overhead.
72CalBear
LunchTime said:

72CalBear said:

TandemBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

Sorry, the first one I can let go, but the scenario you are presenting is a fantasy. I have read the guide books, too. They are written as apocalyptic fiction.

There are all kinds of levels to prep, but the mad max scenario you think you'll survive because you didn't tell your friends you had 3 months or 3 years of food doesn't exist. Starving people recognize non starving people.

TBH any prep that isnt the gym, being a mechanic and primitive survival isn't SHTF prep. Food and water is a short term supply disruption solution.
I respect your opinion and I do not feel at all advantaged by my family prepping - In our mini emergencies here in our neighborhood (earthquakes, power outs, Rodney King verdict days, etc), I have willfully shared, especially with the elderly, physically limited, and separated families. Communication is paramount and perhaps even more important than large supplies of food and water. I have an earthquake mentality living here in Southern California - also have followed the fire devastations closely having my two sons as firefighters. Ask your neighbors if they even have flashlights or working portable radios - better yet, cell phone back-ups. We are talking general preparation. I'm not talking Zombies. I am seeing a worldwide health epidemic unseen before, and we obviously aren't prepared. Yes, there are crazy preppers - I know a few - but everything I have stored will be used in time if the sh*t does hit the fan. Electricity outages scare me more than coronavirus right now. We've had a few locally, and it was just a few days of panic and in my mind, turned dangerous. Funny anecdote from one of my prepping guides - What to store for trading? You know, swap for something you don't have? Booze, cigarettes, fishing gear. Go Bears!
UrsaMajor
72CalBear said:

LunchTime said:

72CalBear said:

TandemBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

I respect your opinion and I do not feel at all advantaged by my family prepping - In our mini emergencies here in our neighborhood (earthquakes, power outs, Rodney King verdict days, etc), I have willfully shared, especially with the elderly, physically limited, and separated families. Communication is paramount and perhaps even more important than large supplies of food and water. I have an earthquake mentality living here in Southern California - also have followed the fire devastations closely having my two sons as firefighters. Ask your neighbors if they even have flashlights or working portable radios - better yet, cell phone back-ups. We are talking general preparation. I'm not talking Zombies. I am seeing a worldwide health epidemic unseen before, and we obviously aren't prepared. Yes, there are crazy preppers - I know a few - but everything I have stored will be used in time if the sh*t does hit the fan. Electricity outages scare me more than coronavirus right now. We've had a few locally, and it was just a few days of panic and in my mind, turned dangerous. Funny anecdote from one of my prepping guides - What to store for trading? You know, swap for something you don't have? Booze, cigarettes, fishing gear. Go Bears!
The Spanish flu epidemic was far worse, and somehow the world survived without "prepared" homeowners machine gunning passers by.
Chabbear
Post-apocalyptic science fiction novels have been a trope for decades. One of the original ones, is a 1940s novel called Earth Abides by George Stewart where a disease kills about 99% of humanity and it takes place here in the East Bay. In fact, the protagonist goes to the Cal main library to find out how to build a bow and arrow set. The final scene is on the Golden Gate Bridge.
tequila4kapp
UrsaMajor said:

72CalBear said:

LunchTime said:

72CalBear said:

TandemBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

The Spanish flu epidemic was far worse, and somehow the world survived without "prepared" homeowners machine gunning passers by.
And let's not forget H1N1. >12k deaths in America and as many as 575,000 deaths world wide.
Big C
UrsaMajor said:

72CalBear said:

LunchTime said:

72CalBear said:

TandemBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

This is one is in its early stages. Let's HOPE it's nothing like the Spanish flu was. My goodness, it SHOULD be a lot better, what with advances in medical knowledge/practice over the past 100 years! On the other hand, people travel a lot more nowadays, which can really spread the virus.

So Furd has cancelled their in-class classes for the rest of winter quarter, with kids getting the lectures on-line? Are the students going home, or staying cooped up in their petri dish dorms?
Cal88
For $75k/year I think most furdies get apt suites for student residence. The petri dish are dorms like our Units, where they pack 2-3 students per room and the whole floor shares the same bathrooms and shower stalls. As well a lot of the frats and coops are also crowded, in addition to having very lax hygiene.

Classes are going to be cancelled at Cal later this month anyway, the sooner it is done, the safer our student and campus community will be. Waiting until the first batch of cases to surface and force the issue is a reckless approach. To those who say the fatality rate of covid19 is "only" 0.2% for young people, this translates to up to 60 dead if it spreads through campus.
Big C
Interesting situation. So what do the students do, go home, or stay wherever they're currently living, on or near campus and see their lectures on youtube? On-line discussion chats? Thousands of college students living in the same area but they are supposed to minimize their interactions? Wow, how is that going to work? They are going to go stir crazy.

This is turning into quite a thing. Are we having more "things" lately, or is it just my imagination?
LunchTime
UrsaMajor said:

72CalBear said:

LunchTime said:

72CalBear said:

TandemBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

More people were machine gunned in that era than any other time in history.

It helps when every able bodied Male between 16 and 40 is already dead.
Cal88
Big C said:

Interesting situation. So what do the students do, go home, or stay wherever they're currently living, on or near campus and see their lectures on youtube? On-line discussion chats? Thousands of college students living in the same area but they are supposed to minimize their interactions? Wow, how is that going to work? They are going to go stir crazy.

This is turning into quite a thing. Are we having more "things" lately, or is it just my imagination?

They can set up the rest the classes on an online format for the rest of the semester, with streamed lectures, and have the students do take home finals/final projects.

The campus leadership should set up a task force that quickly teaches and enables lecturers to conduct streaming/podcasting for the rest of the term.
Cal88
12 provinces put in quarantine in Italy. No one is authorized to travel in or out of these provinces, except for extreme urgency. The Italian government ordered all gyms, fitness centers, swimming pools, museums, cultural centers, ski stations, large sport events and concerts to close down till April in all 12 provinces.

Italy has basically had a month lead time in the epidemic, we will have the same draconian measures in place once the serious cases start numbering in the hundreds or thousands a few weeks from now. Unfortunately those measures would have been even more effective in reducing and slowing the spread if applied proactively right away.

South by Southwest which was to be held this month is cancelled, this is a good start.
510 Bear
Cal88 said:

They can set up the rest the classes on an online format for the rest of the semester, with streamed lectures, and have the students do take home finals/final projects.

The campus leadership should set up a task force that quickly teaches and enables lecturers to conduct streaming/podcasting for the rest of the term.
As someone who has worked in higher ed for awhile.... "easier said than done". It's not as simple as pushing a button. There's a lot that goes into knowing how to deliver a meaningful class through an entirely different format.

A small number of faculty at Cal, UCLA, and elsewhere are already teaching online OR are tech-savvy enough to put together a plan quickly. For the vast majority of them, it'll be a sh!^show. Some of them (mainly the older types) can barely post assignments on Blackboard/Canvas or send an email without stumbling all over themselves. Asking them to flip their entire classes to online format on short notice is about as realistic as training your cat to ride a motorcycle.

It'd be a huge challenge if your typical university administrators had their acts together and had the ability to respond to things like this quickly and in the interest of all stakeholders including faculty and students. Long story short - 99.9% of them don't. (They're great at protecting their ability to earn huge salaries, which is why they'll issue the vague and unsupported mandate to faculty to "finish their classes online" sooner rather than later, to head off "bad PR" threats and legal threats.)

It sounds like this is already turning into a dumpster fire at UW and furd. The same will happen pretty much everywhere when most other universities follow suit. For once I agree with one of Cal88's grim predictions. High five! Wait, the CDC probably discourages that, never mind.
MSaviolives
Chabbear said:

Post-apocalyptic science fiction novels have been a trope for decades. One of the original ones, is a 1940s novel called Earth Abides by George Stewart where a disease kills about 99% of humanity and it takes place here in the East Bay. In fact, the protagonist goes to the Cal main library to find out how to build a bow and arrow set. The final scene is on the Golden Gate Bridge.

One of my favorite books as a kid, having grown up in Berkeley. Stewart was a Cal professor. My dad took his class in the early fifties.
GoCal80
510 Bear said:

Cal88 said:

As someone who has worked in higher ed for awhile.... "easier said than done". It's not as simple as pushing a button. There's a lot that goes into knowing how to deliver a meaningful class through an entirely different format.

A small number of faculty at Cal, UCLA, and elsewhere are already teaching online OR are tech-savvy enough to put together a plan quickly. For the vast majority of them, it'll be a sh!^show. Some of them (mainly the older types) can barely post assignments on Blackboard/Canvas or send an email without stumbling all over themselves. Asking them to flip their entire classes to online format on short notice is about as realistic as training your cat to ride a motorcycle.

It'd be a huge challenge if your typical university administrators had their acts together and had the ability to respond to things like this quickly and in the interest of all stakeholders including faculty and students. Long story short - 99.9% of them don't. (They're great at protecting their ability to earn huge salaries, which is why they'll issue the vague and unsupported mandate to faculty to "finish their classes online" sooner rather than later, to head off "bad PR" threats and legal threats.)

It sounds like this is already turning into a dumpster fire at UW and furd. The same will happen pretty much everywhere when most other universities follow suit. For once I agree with one of Cal88's grim predictions. High five! Wait, the CDC probably discourages that, never mind.
We indeed are working hard to prepare for the possible suspension of in-person instruction on the Cal campus
https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/03/04/an-update-on-how-uc-berkeley-instructors-are-preparing-for-coronavirus/
510 Bear
GoCal80 said:

We indeed are working hard to prepare for the possible suspension of in-person instruction on the Cal campus
https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/03/04/an-update-on-how-uc-berkeley-instructors-are-preparing-for-coronavirus/
I meant to add I like Cal's odds of doing a better/respectable job of being ready for something like this, but I doubt the bulk of US universities will handle it very well at all.
Big C
Again, will students be staying in their student housing, going home, or their choice? Can you imagine thousands (millions, across the country) of young adults, average age of about 20, voluntarily semi-quarantined in their student housing? When I was 20, I was, shall we say, not the most prudent decision-maker...

And then, these universities that are doing this are initially saying it's going to be for several weeks, but, realistically, when would it end, like Fall 2021, when there's a vaccine?

This is going to be something...
Cal88
510 Bear said:

GoCal80 said:

I meant to add I like Cal's odds of doing a better/respectable job of being ready for something like this, but I doubt the bulk of US universities will handle it very well at all.

Scrapping the rest of the semester altogether at this point is clearly the better option, given the alternatives.

Still I think most of the lecturers and TAs could salvage the rest of their teaching term by switching to an online/self-paced format, because they don't have to do it right away, they can suspend classes right now, and focus full time for a couple of weeks on putting the rest of their class in an online format, then resume the class with the new remote format for the rest of the schoolyear once they figure it out.
Cal88
510 Bear said:

Cal88 said:

Double footshake, 510Bear!

Cal88
Big C said:

Again, will students be staying in their student housing, going home, or their choice? Can you imagine thousands (millions, across the country) of young adults, average age of about 20, voluntarily semi-quarantined in their student housing? When I was 20, I was, shall we say, not the most prudent decision-maker...

And then, these universities that are doing this are initially saying it's going to be for several weeks, but, realistically, when would it end, like Fall 2021, when there's a vaccine?

This is going to be something...

Most students can still go home now, while the epidemic is still in its early stages. If they wait a few more weeks, they may no longer be able to do so as they could infect their families and neighbors in their hometowns, so they will be stuck with a kind of hairy quarantine situation similar to the stranded cruise ship.

Not all students will be able to go home, especially those whose home countries and cities are already heavily impacted, but they will be a lot safer riding this out in dorms that are sparsely occupied.

On second thought, there is no way you could impose a quarantine on an impacted dorm, kids will go home, parents will drive up and pick them up, and the epidemic will spread. Those are the kinds of challenges our societies can't face the same way China or even S. Korea could, due to cultural differences. That's why it is imperative to resort to drastic containment measures early on while we still can.
510 Bear
Here's some good discussion (and responses from admins) about the details of how Cal might respond to the coronavirus threat in the near future:
https://www.reddit.com/r/berkeley/comments/fdiv30/have_questions_about_coronavirus_and_the_campuss

Also I think I went a bit too far with my earlier rant and while I've dealt with people in the groups I mentioned who are like that, I apologize for only thinking of them when I said it - it's wrong and inaccurate to say that about "most people" in those groups, including the administrative leadership at my current university, who have all been handling this chaotic situation very respectably so far.
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

UrsaMajor said:

72CalBear said:

LunchTime said:

72CalBear said:

TandemBear said:

BancroftBear93 said:

72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

This is one is in its early stages. Let's HOPE it's nothing like the Spanish flu was. My goodness, it SHOULD be a lot better, what with advances in medical knowledge/practice over the past 100 years! On the other hand, people travel a lot more nowadays, which can really spread the virus.

So Furd has cancelled their in-class classes for the rest of winter quarter, with kids getting the lectures on-line? Are the students going home, or staying cooped up in their petri dish dorms?
The Spanish flu was different in many ways. It occurred during World War I. It ripped through the military with soldiers living in horrible conditions. There was no coordinated world response as the world was at war. In fact, governments were actively hiding the fact that their countries had an epidemic by pretending it didn't exist and not alerting the public or taking any health measures for fear of tipping off the enemy that they had been weakened. For instance, in the middle of an epidemic there was a parade in Philadelphia attended by 200K people, resulting in 12K deaths in the weeks that followed. Not saying this one couldn't get as bad as Spanish flu, but there were more issues than just medical knowledge not being as great.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.