Coronavirus and upcoming season

80,795 Views | 590 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
LunchTime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I dont see health officials running wild buying masks from Home Depot. In fact, not one person I know in health care has run to the store to stock up on masks for their employer... I also know that a local large hospital has a massive supply of masks they acquired because of the Ebola outbreak. I am sure almost every hospital is similarly well stocked.

But seriously: The US Government has the power to take existing inventories AND put themselves first in line for new production in an "emergency." Government can also go ask or just ask Craig Menear to not source new masks and direct the existing inventory to hospitals and he would gladly sell them.

The idea that people are buying too many masks is like blaming people who eat a steak for global warming. Its a way to shift the blame away from the inept leadership the government has displayed, from Trump to the State Department to the CDC to state health bureaucracies. Anyone with a basic knowledge of the situation can see that the government has been blame shifting since we repatriated known contagious individuals, and then dispersed them around the country. When out of the blue there are cases of community acquisition in those tiny regions that they sent people, somehow they cant link those cases to their own actions, and you are causing problems by buying masks...

Better to bring up that buying masks from your local store is making things worse than say they have zero ability to un*****the problem. The argument over buying masks or not is practically Russian-bot level propaganda to get people to argue with and blame each other.

Edit: With that said, I have a stockpile of masks and filters I got for the fires. It boggles my mind that every house in California doesnt already have a weeks worth of N95 masks on hand after the last several years. Its not even a "there might be an earthquake" prep. Its a "Public events are canceled yearly for AQ related to fires, and PG&E is shutting off the power every day" prep. Like having a snow shovel in Truckee next year. "Well I didnt think it would snow again after last year."

And, no. I dont trust what the government says. They told me the only way the IRR would ever get called up is WWIII. Then they called people up for an occupation.
BarcaBear
OaktownBear said:

BarcaBear said:

OaktownBear said:

Cal88 said:

OaktownBear said:

Cal88 said:

Yes Xultaif, I've got good friends in Northern Italy and in the Far East, so I know that the pandemic is real, and given the contagious nature of the virus and global mobility today, it's only a matter of time until America is hit with the same intensity as in Korea or Italy. This might be a once in a lifetime pandemic event, we've never gone through it before, so people will tend to downplay its potential gravity until it hits home.
I think there is a middle ground between recognizing a significant health crisis and accepting someone pulling a death toll of 100,000,000 out of their butt with no basis other than to compare it to a pandemic of a century ago 35 years before we had a polio vaccine. I'm very worried about coronavirus. I don't find your posts constructive. As near as I can tell you have no expertise and you should leave the predictions and recommendations to people who do. Getting people to panic isn't the best course.

You're a bit overly aggressive here, perhaps a reflection of the bitter acrimonious tone that has taken over the OT board the last couple of years. I haven't "pulled anything out of my butt", just provided info with links from reliable sources.

My philosophy here is that you hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. If anything I probably should have started the thread a bit earlier, when for instance respirator masks were still readily available online.

Really. Am I?

Really should you have started the thread earlier so more people would by masks?:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/29/health/face-masks-coronavirus-surgeon-general-trnd/index.html

The Surgeon General is begging people to stop buying masks saying it is putting our communities at risk. You think you are doing good here? You are doing the equivalent of telling everyone to leave their hoses running on their roof during a fire so the fire department can't get the water they need to fight the fire.
I hope you can see how absurd the surgeon general's message is.

I'd laugh if it wasn't so patently absurd. telling the public that masks do not work, but in the same sentence stating that they do work, but that they need only medical personnel to have access to them. smdh

it's clear that they do work.
it's also clear that the medical industry needs them, as will any personnel involved in a mass scale military based response.

it's also clear that the US manufacturing industry, the advent of the politics of affluence have monumentally failed us and have set this country on course for a catastrophe. globalization successfully weakened this country just so a handful of people could make obscene profits. this country needs to shift to manufacturing medical products immediately. sadly, we have a president who does not understand this and will not mobilize whatever resources this nation has to address the coming crisis.

it is just like how he intentionally bungled Puerto Rico following the Hurricane, a decision that left this country on the brink of a major healthcare crisis in 2018. Puerto Rico manufacturers a lot of IV bags, as well as medicines for diabetes, cancer, and heart disease.

Puerto Rico should have taught them to prepare, but the buffoon led us nowhere.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-so-many-medicines-arel-in-short-supply-after-hurricane-maria/

Love the people that think they know better than the health professionals or worse want to tell everyone that the health professionals are lying even when there is general consensus.

This is why I likened it to running your hose on the roof. Yes, a wet roof is less likely to catch fire. If you run the water it might give you a tiny benefit. If everyone runs the water the result is that you take the tool away from those that do the most good and thus dramatically increase the chance your house burns down.

Patients that are in the hospital are separated from society and no longer a threat EXCEPT FOR INFECTING CAREGIVERS. Caregivers are out and about so if they are infected they are a threat. Being able to stop known carriers from infecting anyone is key. So, number one, the most effective way to stop it is by putting the mask on the sick so they aren't spraying contaminated fluids everywhere. Number 2, caregivers know when they are being exposed. So they take measures before during and after the exposure to stop infection. For instance they know exactly when to wash their hands. So even if the general public had a mask that actually had significant effectiveness, they don't know when they were exposed. They don't know when to wash their hands or change their clothes because they have been contaminated. They cannot was their hands after literally every human interaction like the health care provider can. The mask is one part of the protection and you need the other measures for the mask to be effective. Further, they are in a known high exposure event. The public are walking around protecting themselves against a threat they are unlikely to be facing. It's like taking bulletproof vests away from soldiers on the front lines and randomly handing them out to people who have a small chance at being shot at.

Past studies have clearly demonstrated that masks worn by the general population barely influence the transmission rate. Again, you are taking a useful tool that could really help if used correctly and putting it to a useless purpose.
thanks for proving my point and making my arguments for me.

1) the health professional contradicted himself. anybody that has the capacity to read clearly can see that.

even your analogy admits that I was right, the surgeon general contradicted their own statement.

2) your analogy is faulty. yes, a logical fallacy. the failure, however, is not in the individual, it lies in the failure of those overseeing a national response. in this case, a proper fire analogy would be that your city is surrounded, the way Paradise, Ca was before it burnt down. everyone needed to respond and not just do nothing. the situation was so severe that when folks realized they had to evacuate the streets became clogged. in your analogy nobody should do anything until their house is burning down, not even get out of the house.

the reason why my analogy is an appropriate analogy is because the govt response was created on the fly. there was no pre-existing plan to address a catastrophe, regardless of how fast it developed. similarly, people buying up existing stocks is not a crisis in the making. the PROBLEM is that the idiots in the federal govt aka Trump had fired the Pandemic response team, had nobody in charge of it for over two years. He bungled the Puerto Rican Hurricane crisis that should have warned him what was coming if a health crisis kicked off, but the moron cared about twitter instead of paying attention. ...So when the first signals came out of China that a pandemic kicked off, nobody took steps to ensure that additional supplies were secured for a national response. why? because there was nobody there. in this analogy it would be like Paradise being surrounded by fire and no firemen or police or emergency dispatch callers showing up until everything was already burning.

the problem is not in the individuals, and trying to blame the public is asinine. this is going to be a 1-2 year crisis, long term. the supplies should have already existed to allow for a national medical crisis, but there is none.

3) Stop using faulty analogies. you keep trying to derail the issue by using really silly comparisons, and they only serve to try to hide your misunderstanding of how a response to large scale disasters works.

The virus has an incubation period between 2-24 days. not doing anything means that the infection spreads faster and overwhelms hospitals faster. China proved this by putting 60 million people on lock down. Italy, France and others are banning large gatherings, sporting events, etc.

Do you know what that means? it means that if nobody has any protection of any sort, and changes aren;t made immediately to behaviour patterns, like grocery shopping, then the medical staff will be overwhelmed in 2-3 months, so no number of masks is going to help medical personnel. China, even with resources beyond anything available in the US is proof of this. They had to lock down 60 million people because nobody was wearing masks, or doing anything to prevent infection until the govt started arresting people in the streets for not wearing masks. yes, that started mid way through January.

and, no, past studies have not shown that respirators do work. past studies have shown that they do cut down on infection rates. Respirators do work. that is exactly why the Surgeon General made his statement. It is an attempt to secure supplies for medical staff because national leaders failed to do so. The Surgeon General is trying to address a logistical problem and not a medical crisis.

Chinese factories are shutting down. 25% drop in Chinese shipping has been cited by the LA Port. we are not going to be getting more masks. the world wide demand is too high. the US needs to start manufacturing these immediately.

the Tool works prefectly well, within its parameters which do not insist on additional things like obsessively washing your hands. all the other hygiene recommendations work to further increase the effectiveness of respirators. also, stop saying masks, they are respirators, not masks. masks do not have anywhere near the effectiveness of N95 respirators.

BarcaBear
OaktownBear said:

Cal88 said:

Buying masks for personal use way ahead of the curve is the equivalent of clearing bushes around your house in anticipation of the fire, as opposed to running your hose during the fire. When the fire hits, your water will be cut off anyway, there are no more masks available in the marketplace now.

Your response to BarcaBear doesn't make much sense, you're saying that mask use for the general public is not useful because they don't wash their hands enough. You don't need to wash your hands every hour, as long as you never touch your eyes, mouth or inside your nose and you should avoid shaking hands and hugging people in the next few months anyway.

Quote:

It's like taking bulletproof vests away from soldiers on the front lines and randomly handing them out to people who have a small chance at being shot at.
If you're BARTing to work or commuting taking crowded public transit in a big city, or flying, you're going to get shot at. That's probably the reason the virus has been hitting countries like China, S. Korea and Japan particularly hard. As well in China people get chastised (or worse) for going out without a mask, their health guidelines stipulate wearing masks outside your home, for a reason. I understand the public health agenda right now is about prioritizing and rationalizing the current scarcity, but no need to bend the truth when forcing that "public health general consensus" message through unfiltered.

I thought the panic would hit stateside in the middle of March, it looks like it's already started. My main point was that there has been a lot of apathy and dismissal of the potential gravity of this epidemic, and have already been vindicated.

Schools and colleges should be suspended right now, air travel curtailed, telecommuting encouraged etc AHEAD of the wave, what we will get instead is those measures applied by the middle or lat March when the epidemic will have already reached critical mass. No need to blame Trump for this, countries like Canada have done a worse job using their 1-2 months lead time to prepare for this.

Clearing brush around your house does not take tools away from authorities. Buying up masks faster than they can be produced does.

Regarding the effectiveness of arming the general public with masks, I am amazed how many health issues you like to come on here and tell everyone you know better than the actual professionals. Most people are saying to be very careful. What they are not doing is replacing the judgment of the professionals with their own. The most important thing in this situation is an intelligent, coordinated response. Not everyone going off half cocked.

You are not vindicated. Italy is taking a very coordinated response to areas infected while also saying why the hell are people freaking out in areas that are not.

No one is dismissing the threat. They are saying follow the advice of the professionals.

By the way, everyone in China has masks. They wear the things at the drop of a hat. Many wear them every day with no threat. I guarantee you they were all wearing their masks at the first sign of trouble. Doesn't seem to have helped them
actually, you are incorrect. you have a weird perception of people in China having masks all the time. they don't.

how do I know this? because I was reading reports coming out of Wuhan two months ago. Midway through January, when the Chinese govt failed to keep the outbreak under wraps and realized it was legit, they started ordering lockdowns. next, they started arresting anybody they saw out in public who was not wearing a mask. I am not making this up. the cops were arresting people for not wearing protection in public.
bearister
"College basketball: The National College Players Association, a nonprofit advocating for the rights and safety of collegiate athletes, has called on the NCAA to consider holding March Madness games without fans." Axios
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
OdontoBear66
bearister said:

"College basketball: The National College Players Association, a nonprofit advocating for the rights and safety of collegiate athletes, has called on the NCAA to consider holding March Madness games without fans." Axios
Do they know Cal is not going to be in the Tourney (same with Rose Bowl)? When Cal gets there, something like this must be on the horizon. And usually I am glass is half full. Haha.
BearlyCareAnymore
BarcaBear said:

OaktownBear said:

Cal88 said:

Buying masks for personal use way ahead of the curve is the equivalent of clearing bushes around your house in anticipation of the fire, as opposed to running your hose during the fire. When the fire hits, your water will be cut off anyway, there are no more masks available in the marketplace now.

Your response to BarcaBear doesn't make much sense, you're saying that mask use for the general public is not useful because they don't wash their hands enough. You don't need to wash your hands every hour, as long as you never touch your eyes, mouth or inside your nose and you should avoid shaking hands and hugging people in the next few months anyway.

Quote:

It's like taking bulletproof vests away from soldiers on the front lines and randomly handing them out to people who have a small chance at being shot at.
If you're BARTing to work or commuting taking crowded public transit in a big city, or flying, you're going to get shot at. That's probably the reason the virus has been hitting countries like China, S. Korea and Japan particularly hard. As well in China people get chastised (or worse) for going out without a mask, their health guidelines stipulate wearing masks outside your home, for a reason. I understand the public health agenda right now is about prioritizing and rationalizing the current scarcity, but no need to bend the truth when forcing that "public health general consensus" message through unfiltered.

I thought the panic would hit stateside in the middle of March, it looks like it's already started. My main point was that there has been a lot of apathy and dismissal of the potential gravity of this epidemic, and have already been vindicated.

Schools and colleges should be suspended right now, air travel curtailed, telecommuting encouraged etc AHEAD of the wave, what we will get instead is those measures applied by the middle or lat March when the epidemic will have already reached critical mass. No need to blame Trump for this, countries like Canada have done a worse job using their 1-2 months lead time to prepare for this.

Clearing brush around your house does not take tools away from authorities. Buying up masks faster than they can be produced does.

Regarding the effectiveness of arming the general public with masks, I am amazed how many health issues you like to come on here and tell everyone you know better than the actual professionals. Most people are saying to be very careful. What they are not doing is replacing the judgment of the professionals with their own. The most important thing in this situation is an intelligent, coordinated response. Not everyone going off half cocked.

You are not vindicated. Italy is taking a very coordinated response to areas infected while also saying why the hell are people freaking out in areas that are not.

No one is dismissing the threat. They are saying follow the advice of the professionals.

By the way, everyone in China has masks. They wear the things at the drop of a hat. Many wear them every day with no threat. I guarantee you they were all wearing their masks at the first sign of trouble. Doesn't seem to have helped them
actually, you are incorrect. you have a weird perception of people in China having masks all the time. they don't.

how do I know this? because I was reading reports coming out of Wuhan two months ago. Midway through January, when the Chinese govt failed to keep the outbreak under wraps and realized it was legit, they started ordering lockdowns. next, they started arresting anybody they saw out in public who was not wearing a mask. I am not making this up. the cops were arresting people for not wearing protection in public.

You like to draw conclusions that have no basis in the facts you present. Did I say that 100% of Chinese people wear masks all the time? Do you think police were arresting half the population? If, in fact, they were arresting people, they were arresting the stragglers.

My wife has many relatives in China. I also know people who lived much of their lives in China. Chinese people started wearing masks years ago on bad pollution days, which are many. If you go to Chinatown on a normal day you will see a sprinkling of people wearing masks largely because they are in the habit from home. If you take any public transportation since the Coronavirus hit, you will have seen Chinese people wearing masks. (My wife commented her ambivalence to me several times in the beginning when nothing had hit hear because "people are already looking at us and wearing the masks just makes it worse". China is easily the most mask wearing culture in the world. But you read someone got arrested for not wearing one so in your mind nobody wears them.

I'll reiterate. I guarantee that mask usage was high in China as soon as there was any whiff of an outbreak
GivemTheAxe
OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

Do they know Cal is not going to be in the Tourney (same with Rose Bowl)? When Cal gets there, something like this must be on the horizon. And usually I am glass is half full. Haha.

Hey! Do I get some sort of credit for a partial "Booth" on this idea since last night I made this recommendation for the RB. ;-)
Blueblood

"Wait...wait...yes, ladies and
gentlemen...I think I hear the
Cal marching band coming
down Colorado Blvd as the
only musical unit in this year's
Rose Bowl parade!"
OdontoBear66
Blueblood said:

"Wait...wait...yes, ladies and
gentlemen...I think I hear the
Cal marching band coming
down Colorado Blvd as the
only musical unit in this year's
Rose Bowl parade!"
Well done BB.
OdontoBear66
GivemTheAxe said:

OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

Hey! Do I get some sort of credit for a partial "Booth" on this idea since last night I made this recommendation for the RB. ;-)
Ouch, I've been boothed.....Yup, you are right GTA.
IssyBear
IssyBear said:

Cal88 said:

I hope that protective gear they are wearing (as they put the patient in the ambulance) is appropriate for adequate protection and containment.
FWIW, all of the paramedics in this video are now in quarantine. Protocol now is full hazmat garb. A total of 4 deaths so far in this nursing care facility.
CALiforniALUM
120 confirmed cases with 6 dead. That is a wee bit more than a 2.5% death rate.
sp4149
CALiforniALUM said:

For much of the population (80%+) the symptoms are like that of a cold or flu and those so infected will never
require treatment and will go uncounted. In many areas people are dying from the flu, without massive testing, a statistically accurate death rate is a ways off. 0.5% is still bad (compensating for the 80%), just not as newsworthy.

Faux News has figured it out and is blaming the Washington State deaths on the Seattle homeless population. Stephen Miller looks like an ideal choice by the Grump to solve the homeless crisis and coronavirus with 'special' treatment camps.
Big C
Yes, COVID-19 is so mild in some people that they never get reported. (Unfortunately that also makes it hard to contain.) Plus... one of the outbreaks in WA was in an old-folks home.

Question: Why are some people stockpiling bottled water?!? Anybody have a better answer than the obvious ("They're stupid.")?
Oski87
Cal88 said:

XXXBEAR said:

Sorry this is not 1919.

It's good to be both prepared and cautious, but, the death rate is 2.5% affecting the elderly and those with pre-existing respiratory issues. Wash your hands, don't run yourself down, and you'll be fine, as it will be severely diluted by warmer weather like all influenzas.

No games cancelled here, and maybe this is an opportunity to redesign our reliance on China based supply chains.

(SF Chinatown reports business down by 60%.)

I looked up the fatality rate for the Spanish Flu, and it's also 2.5%. This BTW is more than 25 times the fatality rate of a normal flu. The R0 of the Spanish Flu (the basic reproductive rate, or the number of secondary infections caused by a typical case) was around 2.1, in the same range as the R0 for COVID-19, which is estimated around 2.3.

The rationalization that this will mostly affect the elderly and those with respiratory issues means that a substantial percentage of those people will die, perhaps 10%-15%. Not very reassuring.

As well, a significant portion of those infected will develop severe pulmonary infections that aren't normally fatal but require ICU treatment, which we might not be able to provide in case of a large epidemic overwhelming the healthcare system. There are fewer than 100,000 ICU beds in the US, and I would imagine under normal circumstances a large percentage of those are already filled.

The rate is 2 per thousand for those under 40, 4 per thousand for those in their 40s, 3.69 per hundred for those in their 50s, 8% for those in their 60's and 16% for those over 70. So if you are old, do not travel, do not go out, and wait until the summer when it goes away.

I have a Chinese high school student who lives with me. He was going to go to Guangzhou (home) for spring break and I was like - no way. He was incredulous - his response "it's only a 2% death rate! Plus the weather will change that that will be the end, just like SARS". I thought that was an interesting bit of difference between us...
LunchTime
sp4149 said:

CALiforniALUM said:

For much of the population (80%+) the symptoms are like that of a cold or flu and those so infected will never
require treatment and will go uncounted. In many areas people are dying from the flu, without massive testing, a statistically accurate death rate is a ways off. 0.5% is still bad (compensating for the 80%), just not as newsworthy.

Faux News has figured it out and is blaming the Washington State deaths on the Seattle homeless population. Stephen Miller looks like an ideal choice by the Grump to solve the homeless crisis and coronavirus with 'special' treatment camps.
Where did you get 80% from?
LunchTime
Big C said:

Yes, COVID-19 is so mild in some people that they never get reported. (Unfortunately that also makes it hard to contain.) Plus... one of the outbreaks in WA was in an old-folks home.

Question: Why are some people stockpiling bottled water?!? Anybody have a better answer than the obvious ("They're stupid.")?
In the west emergency prep has always included water. I am 100% sure the general population's reasoning is that for a generation (30 years) we have had it hammered into us that prepping for an emergency is about water FIRST. I am guessing 90% of the people buying water dont have any for any emergency.
I have a little more thought for myself, though:

I have enough for my household. If there is an Earthquake AND there are wide scale shortages of inputs from parts, there is a significant probability that repairs could take longer than I typically expect (I take the mild '89 earthquake as my minimum, and Katrina as my target for loss of government services timescale). So I added some water. About 60% (ie I think worst case is reestablishing any kind of service will take 60% longer now than it would 5 months ago and I dont want to mess around with scared people if S does hit the fan). Additionally, more of that water would go towards hygiene, since wipes are in low supply.

What I am seeing, talking to people, that very few seem to understand is that the virus is NOT the most immediate concern when getting supplies: China locked down cities with 700,000,000 people (10% of the worlds population) and shut down huge chunks of their production. It has been that way for at least a month, and much has been closed for 2. We only get 30% of our imports from China, but a significant amount of that is inputs for products assembled here, so those get delayed, too. I am not sure about your idea of how the global economy operates (and I may be thinking about it wrong), but if this virus kills no more than the 6 already dead, and no one misses work, cutting off close to 10% of the yearly production will have downstream effects on a huge range of areas and still be a serious hit to our ability to buy the most mundane things (probably not water, though).

One production issue, that has been touched on here, is masks. Why cant we just order more? Because China cut production of them, and now we are months behind on production, AND using more.

Another is drugs: If you rely on medicine to stay alive, you better have a refill. Most of our drugs are manufactured in China. They cut production for the last two months. And maybe this month.

Want a Tesla? They cut production of that, too.

Anyway, getting more water is about poor response to a disaster we should already be prepared for, for me. I think everyone should have extra water (3-10 days * 1-3g per person depending on how you expect to use it) for the next 6 months until production comes back.
Blueblood
LunchTime said:

Big C said:

In the west emergency prep has always included water. I am 100% sure the general population's reasoning is that for a generation (30 years) we have had it hammered into us that prepping for an emergency is about water FIRST. I am guessing 90% of the people buying water dont have any for any emergency.
I have a little more thought for myself, though:

I have enough for my household. If there is an Earthquake AND there are wide scale shortages of inputs from parts, there is a significant probability that repairs could take longer than I typically expect (I take the mild '89 earthquake as my minimum, and Katrina as my target for loss of government services timescale). So I added some water. About 60% (ie I think worst case is reestablishing any kind of service will take 60% longer now than it would 5 months ago and I dont want to mess around with scared people if S does hit the fan). Additionally, more of that water would go towards hygiene, since wipes are in low supply.

What I am seeing, talking to people, that very few seem to understand is that the virus is NOT the most immediate concern when getting supplies: China locked down cities with 700,000,000 people (10% of the worlds population) and shut down huge chunks of their production. It has been that way for at least a month, and much has been closed for 2. We only get 30% of our imports from China, but a significant amount of that is inputs for products assembled here, so those get delayed, too. I am not sure about your idea of how the global economy operates (and I may be thinking about it wrong), but if this virus kills no more than the 6 already dead, and no one misses work, cutting off close to 10% of the yearly production will have downstream effects on a huge range of areas and still be a serious hit to our ability to buy the most mundane things (probably not water, though).

One production issue, that has been touched on here, is masks. Why cant we just order more? Because China cut production of them, and now we are months behind on production, AND using more.

Another is drugs: If you rely on medicine to stay alive, you better have a refill. Most of our drugs are manufactured in China. They cut production for the last two months. And maybe this month.

Want a Tesla? They cut production of that, too.

Anyway, getting more water is about poor response to a disaster we should already be prepared for, for me. I think everyone should have extra water (3-10 days * 1-3g per person depending on how you expect to use it) for the next 6 months until production comes back.
Well, LunchTime, "Drink up and take a pill for me!"
CALiforniALUM
Big C said:

My wife bought a 6 month supply of beans and rice.
burritos
You could make money with university logo stamped facemasks I'll bet.
LunchTime
Are you simple, Blueblood?

OdontoBear66
CALiforniALUM said:

Big C said:

In the same shopping cart with the Charmin'?
OzoneTheCat
CALiforniALUM said:

Big C said:

Is your wife of Mexican descent? Either way, smart lady. Growing up we always had a 6 month supply of beans and rice.
Cal88
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

I'll mark you down as being a "the glass is completely empty and broken too" guy.

Turns out that glass isn't quite broken. My OP assessment quoted below,and other statements I've made in this thread that seemed over the top were actually quite realistic and on target. There will be no Final Four at Benz Stadium, the question at this point is whether they will play the games at all in April, at best it will be in an empty gym.

Tokyo 2020 will probably be cancelled as well. This is easily the worst and most disruptive global pandemic since the Spanish Flu.

Quote:

The epidemic has started to spread outside of China and east Asia, school is cancelled in Milan, Italy, and championship soccer games last week have been played without any spectators. By March most soccer games in Europe will be played with empty stands. All classes in northern Italian universities have been suspended.

I will guess this virus will hit CA and N. America in March, and the maximum impact will be felt by April, with schools cancelled. I think the NCAA BB tourney will be disrupted, if it does go on at all, it will be in empty arenas.

The epidemic will present special challenges in large cities, with the large homeless population and overcrowded prisons that will turn into virtual quarantine wards.

I think the Tokyo Olympics will probably be cancelled or postponed to next Summer.

It's hard to assess the impact on the upcoming Fall football season, but chances are classes and finals will be cancelled this term, and Summer School might be cancelled as well.

This is an unprecedented black swan crisis, the worst pandemic since the Spanish Flu. I hope we can weather it with minimum losses. It seems like none of the western governments are taking it with the seriousness it deserves.
Cal88
Great article from the Irish public news service on the situation in a quarantined northern Italy town:

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0229/1118160-coronavirus-inside-the-red-zone/

Quote:

In the northern Italian village of San Fiorano, groups of all ages gather outdoors to catch up and play cards.

In some ways, it's much like it usually is, except most of the workplaces, shops and bars are closed, and people aren't allowed to stand too close to each other.

That's because San Fiorano, like 10 other towns and villages in northern Italy, is a 'red zone' - directly in the path of deadly coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, China.

As Italy struggles with the worst outbreak in Europe, some of the residents of the small towns under quarantine between Lombardy and Veneto are so bored that they can't stay behind closed doors any longer.

It's been over a week since the towns were locked down by the Italian government, the main routes in and out blocked off.

freinds' gathering - Keeping a safe distance

A sign reads: 'Please enter with mask and gloves for everyone's safety - four customers at a time'.
okaydo

LunchTime
OzoneTheCat said:

CALiforniALUM said:

Big C said:

Is your wife of Mexican descent? Either way, smart lady. Growing up we always had a 6 month supply of beans and rice.
A 6 month supply seems like a lot to me. Assuming 1500 (in a situation where you would need a 6mth supply of rice) calories per person and two people, that is a half million calories. A 30lb sack of either has about 50k uncooked calories iirc. Did your wife buy 300lbs of Rice and beans?

I mean 7 bags isnt crazy, but it takes up some space and you still have to eat it at some point.
FloriDreaming
Okay so that's one vote for "excessive panic." Disappointing to see that from a Cal person, but oh well.
Blueblood
LunchTime said:

A 6 month supply seems like a lot to me. Assuming 1500 (in a situation where you would need a 6mth supply of rice) calories per person and two people, that is a half million calories. A 30lb sack of either has about 50k uncooked calories iirc. Did your wife buy 300lbs of Rice and beans?

I mean 7 bags isnt crazy, but it takes up some space and you still have to eat it at some point.
Hot dang, LunchTime is showin' off that he can count too! This guy is really sharp!
BarcaBear
OaktownBear said:

BarcaBear said:

OaktownBear said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

You like to draw conclusions that have no basis in the facts you present. Did I say that 100% of Chinese people wear masks all the time? Do you think police were arresting half the population? If, in fact, they were arresting people, they were arresting the stragglers.

My wife has many relatives in China. I also know people who lived much of their lives in China. Chinese people started wearing masks years ago on bad pollution days, which are many. If you go to Chinatown on a normal day you will see a sprinkling of people wearing masks largely because they are in the habit from home. If you take any public transportation since the Coronavirus hit, you will have seen Chinese people wearing masks. (My wife commented her ambivalence to me several times in the beginning when nothing had hit hear because "people are already looking at us and wearing the masks just makes it worse". China is easily the most mask wearing culture in the world. But you read someone got arrested for not wearing one so in your mind nobody wears them.

I'll reiterate. I guarantee that mask usage was high in China as soon as there was any whiff of an outbreak
you clearly struggle reading your own comments. yes, you did say 100%. what exactly do you think "everyone in China has masks" means? lol

and, no, son, I know folks that live in China and that have been working there for over a decade. it's the luck of meeting friends at Cal and Oxford.

funny thing about your reading comprehension problem is that it extends into strawman fallacies. I wrote "you have a weird perception of people in China having masks all the time. they don't." and you distorted this into your mind to mean that "nobody wears them". lolol

sorry, better luck next time with folks that aren't clear about what they write. the government issued public warnings. citizen journalists documented the arrests. so, yeah, there were folks that were not wearing masks and had to be forced to. that's how authoritarian governments get to operate.

OldenBear
Bear19 said:

OldenBear said:

In short, act rationally.
OK, you're bouncing around BI one day and you notice that the email notice icon has triggered.

"What's this? You say." You decide to click on the icon to see your email. A message is waiting for you from guy who calls himself "Mr. Pick" and it reads:

"I see you love Cal football & have been participating in the Covid-19 thread on FG. Here's my offer - in exchange for making sure Cal wins the Rose Bowl, and you'll have prime tickets on the 50 to see the game in person, you have to agree to come down with Covid-19 while at the game. Won't tell you how severe it will be and what happens to you from catching it.

To accept, rely back with the word "YES." Not Interested, just delete this email."

What would you do?

As for me, "YES." (Am a boomer with T2 diabetes - high risk group).

didn't see anyone respond to this ..... so ..... I may have some of the same risk factors as you, but in my 60s. So maybe my percent is near 10%. Yup, I love Cal football, and would love to see Cal win the Rose Bowl. But not for a 10% chance to die. I'd watch it at home (and I should throw in, I think the Rose Bowl is a terrible venue to attend. But that's another story, and I'm not considering that disklike in this decision)

let me pose another scenario - suppose you offer the same choice, but I'd be guaranteed to get pneumonia.
As near as I can tell, there's a 5% chance of dying (50,000 people die every year of about 1 million coming down with it in the US. Of course, those percentages will skew based on age, health etc. Overall, though, 5% is abt twice the death rate, we think now, of COVID-19, across all populations). So would I go then? I'd probably think about it a while, but go.

So maybe because we call it COVID-19, and not a virus, it seems a little more deadly? Or, because so much more is known about treating pneumonia, than COVID currently? I don't have that answer.
72CalBear
Cal89 said:

I suppose quite a few have stocked-up on food and supplies recently. We have what we call our family "store" in the garage, basically shelves of goods that we transition into the kitchen. We are always pretty well-stocked, including respirators and N95 masks purchased well after the last outbreak, before this one...

Speaking of stock, plenty of shares available for those with the stomach! S&P 500 did a nice, predictable bounce moments ago just above 3,000 (support/resistance spot), triggering some buys for me. Have more at lower prices, should the downtrend continue...
Yes, my family has been involved in "prepping" since Y2K. One tip however. Don't advertise what you have to others that you may not know well or trust. In reading over a dozen disaster preparedness books, I found the last chapters usually devoted to "protecting your stuff". The common theme being, when people get desperate (thirsty, hungry, etc), things can turn bad quickly. My advice is to come to some agreement with fellow preppers, who you need to trade with and support, but keep this very private. Some preppers even disguise their caches and hide what they have.
BancroftBear93
72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

I suppose quite a few have stocked-up on food and supplies recently. We have what we call our family "store" in the garage, basically shelves of goods that we transition into the kitchen. We are always pretty well-stocked, including respirators and N95 masks purchased well after the last outbreak, before this one...

Speaking of stock, plenty of shares available for those with the stomach! S&P 500 did a nice, predictable bounce moments ago just above 3,000 (support/resistance spot), triggering some buys for me. Have more at lower prices, should the downtrend continue...
Yes, my family has been involved in "prepping" since Y2K. One tip however. Don't advertise what you have to others that you may not know well or trust. In reading over a dozen disaster preparedness books, I found the last chapters usually devoted to "protecting your stuff". The common theme being, when people get desperate (thirsty, hungry, etc), things can turn bad quickly. My advice is to come to some agreement with fellow preppers, who you need to trade with and support, but keep this very private. Some preppers even disguise their caches and hide what they have.
Ah. There's the rub. You prepped, while the idiots did not. The ants and the grasshoppers. You were right all along. Now they beg and when you deny them, they storm your castle. What do you rain down on them, lead and righteous indignation or food and compassion?
OdontoBear66
72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

Tis hard to prep and rotate things in when you eat almost entirely "fresh". Nothing wrong with canned and packaged goods, but if one is only gonna use same for emergency, the rotation becomes difficult.
UrsaMajor
72CalBear said:

Cal89 said:

AK-47s or AR-15s (50 cal machine guns still being illegal); that's the ticket.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.