The Aaron Rodgers Positivity Thread Challenge

52,209 Views | 656 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Cal88
philly1121
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why wouldn't I double down? What i don't do is Monday Morning QB something.

And I think Collins, who was a great director of NIH, and I think now works for the Biden Admin, acknowledges that, looking back, they should have done things differently. But he, Fauci, you or I did not have the benefit of doing that when thousands of people were dropping dead in New York. In short, I think he acknowledges that big city strategy doesn't necessarily work in rural communities. Moreover, most school superintendants agree that the lockdown and closing of schools set kids back in terms of benchmarks for math and reading. Indeed some students have NEVER returned to class. They simply dropped out. But again, I ask, what kind of choice was there in March 2020? 3, 4, 6 months afterwards?

Interestingly, Collins wanted to fund a project by the NIH to improve transparency and accountability in the decision-making processes of the Institute. Sadly, his predecessor did not fund the project.
sycasey
philly1121 said:

Moreover, most school superintendants agree that the lockdown and closing of schools set kids back in terms of benchmarks for math and reading. Indeed some students have NEVER returned to class. They simply dropped out. But again, I ask, what kind of choice was there in March 2020? 3, 4, 6 months afterwards?
By 6 months in it had become clear that schools could reopen reasonably safely. But by then the issue had become politicized and it became too hard to convince all the necessary parties (especially teachers' unions) that they should go back, especially in deep-blue districts. So we waited another 6 or 7 months in those places, unnecessarily in my view.
BearGoggles
philly1121 said:

Why wouldn't I double down? What i don't do is Monday Morning QB something.

And I think Collins, who was a great director of NIH, and I think now works for the Biden Admin, acknowledges that, looking back, they should have done things differently. But he, Fauci, you or I did not have the benefit of doing that when thousands of people were dropping dead in New York. In short, I think he acknowledges that big city strategy doesn't necessarily work in rural communities. Moreover, most school superintendants agree that the lockdown and closing of schools set kids back in terms of benchmarks for math and reading. Indeed some students have NEVER returned to class. They simply dropped out. But again, I ask, what kind of choice was there in March 2020? 3, 4, 6 months afterwards?

Interestingly, Collins wanted to fund a project by the NIH to improve transparency and accountability in the decision-making processes of the Institute. Sadly, his predecessor did not fund the project.
This is not Monday morning quarterbacking. At the time, there were many dissenting views. Collins and Fauci went out of their way to silence and deplatform any dissent, all in the name of "science' and saving lives.

As Sycasey pointed out, by six months in (possibly earlier), it was clear the zero covid policies - which Collins acknowledged - were doing tremendous harm.

From WSJ 2021 - https://www.wsj.com/articles/fauci-collins-emails-great-barrington-declaration-covid-pandemic-lockdown-11640129116

"In public, Anthony Fauci and Francis Collins urge Americans to "follow the science." In private, the two sainted public-health officials schemed to quash dissenting views from top scientists. "

"This proposal from the three fringe epidemiologists . . . seems to be getting a lot of attention and even a co-signature from Nobel Prize winner Mike Leavitt at Stanford. There needs to be a quick and devastating published take down of its premises," Dr. Collins wrote. "Is it underway?"

These researchers weren't fringe and neither was their opposition to quarantining society. But in the panic over the virus, these two voices of science used their authority to stigmatize dissenters and crush debate. A week after his email, Dr. Collins spoke to the Washington Post about the Great Barrington Declaration. "This is a fringe component of epidemiology," he said. "This is not mainstream science. It's dangerous." His message spread and the alternative strategy was dismissed in most precincts.

Dr. Fauci replied to Dr. Collins that the takedown was underway. An article in Wired, a tech-news site, denied there was any scientific divide and argued lockdowns were a straw manthey weren't coming back. If only it were true. The next month cases rose and restrictions returned.

Dr. Fauci also emailed an article from the Nation, a left-wing magazine, and his staff sent him several more. The emails suggest a feedback loop: The media cited Dr. Fauci as an unquestionable authority, and Dr. Fauci got his talking points from the media. Facebook censored mentions of the Great Barrington Declaration. This is how groupthink works.

On CBS last month, Dr. Fauci said Republicans who criticize him are "really criticizing science, because I represent science. That's dangerous." He isn't "science." And it's also dangerous for scientific officials to mobilize to quash dissent, without which it's easy to make tragic mistakes. A scientific debate over pandemic policy was and still is in the public interest, especially during a once-in-a-century plague."

Here is another more recent link: https://www.ocregister.com/2024/01/04/better-late-than-never-former-nih-director-francis-collins-admits-covid-mistakes/

"During the pandemic, the wisdom of weighing costs against benefits was not just forgotten but explicitly repudiated. Andrew Cuomo, then New York's governor, insisted that the goal was to "save lives, period, whatever it costs," because "we're not going to accept a premise that human life is disposable."

Although Collins portrays that attitude as characteristic of "public health people," there were dissenters even among experts who fell into that category. In October 2020, for example, three epidemiologists Harvard's Martin Kulldorff, Oxford's Sunetra Gupta and Stanford's Jay Bhattacharya issued the Great Barrington Declaration, which recommended taking steps to protect people who were especially vulnerable to COVID-19 while allowing "those who are at minimal risk of death to live their lives normally."

At the Braver Angels conference, Collins described Kulldorff et al. as "very distinguished." He was less respectful in an October 2020 email to White House COVID-19 adviser Anthony Fauci, saying "this proposal from the three fringe epidemiologists" demanded "a quick and devastating published take down of its premises.

During his exchange with Wilkinson, Collins explained that he was "deeply troubled" by the Great Barrington Declaration, which he viewed as reckless. "I regret that I used some terminology that I probably shouldn't," he said.

Collins also regrets that he and his colleagues paid insufficient attention to the "collateral damage" caused by restrictions on social, economic and educational activity. "We probably needed to have that conversation more effectively," he said. Better late than never."

wc22
Great guy, Jimmy is:
WalterSobchak
Good thing nobody knows what "Cal" is. Kimmel really did us a favor there.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
philly1121
Ok. Let me point out a couple of things and then I'm done with this as it has grown tedious and boring and far afield from Mr. Rodgers' claims.

A "stifling" of dissent or counter opinions on the public health strategies in dealing with SARS-CoV-2 I will stipulate to. Certainly in those months from March 2020 on, a strategy was picked and used, and other alternative strategies were not consulted on or utilized. However, I still think you are mistaken on what was the right approach. And your reliance on the Great Barrington Declaration is quite interesting.

This piece, by 3 scientists, premised their declaration on several theories, with one of the big ones being herd immunity. That by "protecting" populations that were the most at risk, the virus would then spread into those individuals who are less at-risk, thereby creating herd immunity. They also disregarded lock downs, social distancing and mask wearing.

This declaration was rightfully dismissed after its release because it never offered how these vulnerable populations would be protected. Or whether people who are in the 18-55 age range who had co-morbidities - how to protect them. Moreover, a fundamental and widespread critique of the Declaration and its authors is that they didn't understand the concept of how herd immunity is built. It is not built through mass exposure to a virus (not just SCV2), it is built through vaccination of a percentage of the population so that immunity can be built and held. It is never done through mass exposure as these authors theorized. Irresponsibly in my opinion.

On a final note, you always need to look at who's funding the work. Who funded this Declaration? The American Institute for Economic Research, a libertarian think tank that, among other issues, denies climate change, expounds on fossil fuel usage (due to small investments in Exxon and Chevron) and wants to defund the Centers for Disease Control.

Now, we can have a legitimate discussion on the utility and length of the lockdowns. That's fair. We can also talk about the carnage that went with it (lower test scores, mental health, domestic violence). All of that is fair game and should be reviewed as to how to do things different. (IMO: We will never go on a lockdown again.) But what the Declaration asserted was unrealistic and not founded in science. Most of what they said about the lockdown impacts were true. But their paper was rightfully repudiated because they never offered to explain how "shielding" vulnerable populations would work and they were completely off about how herd immunity is achieved. Finally, they took their positions, genuinely, from a conservative/libertarian perspective. And that's expected, since that's where they got their funding.

So, I've said my piece on this. This could go on forever and frankly I'm bored with it as I'm sure others are too. We differ in opinions on vaccination, public health strategies and Aaron Rodgers. Decent debate. Cheers.
okaydo
WalterSobchak said:

Good thing nobody knows what "Cal" is. Kimmel really did us a favor there.

bear2034
wc22 said:

Great guy, Jimmy is:
Yikes, looks like Jimmy is still butthurt.
MinotStateBeav
Kimmel is the Sadio Mane of talk show hosts. Love that Aaron made him so mad that he spent a large chunk of his show talking about Aaron as if he is a failure lol. Rodgers Net worth 200m, Jimbo 50m.
okaydo
Aaron Rodgers having a months-long grudge against Jimmy Kimmel: Winner!

Jimmy Kimmel having a weeks-long grudge against Aaron Rodgers: Loser!
sycasey
I think we can all agree that like all pro athletes who start commenting on politics, Aaron Rodgers should just stick to sports.
YuSeeBerkeley
What is your deal? Do you hate Rodgers, or are you on Kimmel's payroll? Just curious. Also, the funny thing about Kimmel's rant about Rodgers is that it could be applied to himself. This idiot with sophomoric humor from the Man Show now thinks he's brilliant because he was given a platform to read jokes off a teleprompter. Comedians are no different than athletes. They both are full of themselves.
wc22
okaydo said:

Aaron Rodgers having a months-long grudge against Jimmy Kimmel: Winner!

Jimmy Kimmel having a weeks-long grudge against Aaron Rodgers: Loser!
I'm sorry, but do you read your own posts?
oski003
Jimmy Kimmel can go screw himself.
philly1121
YuSeeBerkeley said:

What is your deal? Do you hate Rodgers, or are you on Kimmel's payroll? Just curious. Also, the funny thing about Kimmel's rant about Rodgers is that it could be applied to himself. This idiot with sophomoric humor from the Man Show now thinks he's brilliant because he was given a platform to read jokes off a teleprompter. Comedians are no different than athletes. They both are full of themselves.

Uh you do realize that The Man Show last aired 20 years ago? And making jokes and reading off a teleprompter. Um - everyone does that. And making jokes is his job. Making fun of Rodgers is light work for him.
wc22
philly1121 said:

YuSeeBerkeley said:

Uh you do realize that The Man Show last aired 20 years ago? And making jokes and reading off a teleprompter. Um - everyone does that. And making jokes is his job. Making fun of Rodgers is light work for him.
Do you know our collective political opinions 20 years ago and how they have been weaponized? Obama was against gay marriage.

But let's go with 20 years. It's been 50+ years since black face and sexualizing minors was OK (70's rock). And Kimmel was 30 years behind. And what? He is good guy because he wrongly demonized people not wanting to take the COVID vaccine? That is his out? He was 30 years behind morality and because he was wrong in demonizing vaccine skeptics all the stuff he did is OK?

And he gets demonize CC kids because that is funny?

That is what this is really about. You can been a racially and sexually dinosaur for years, but then you can be wrong about COVID, and being wrong about COVID means all your past sins are washed away.

Black face was wrong in our culture when it was done. And it was repugnant by 1975 at least. And Jimmy did no wrong because... He was wrong about COVID.

Typical liberals.

The Democratic party is literally evil.
YuSeeBerkeley
I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with reading off a teleprompter. I'm just saying, he seems to overestimate his own intelligence when he's simply reading jokes that one of his 10 writers wrote. If Kimmel thinks he could win a debate with Rodgers on pretty much any topic, he's sorely mistaken. He's confusing success with intelligence and is guilty of the very thing he's accusing Rodgers of doing.
wc22
I have never seen people so casually dismiss blatant bigotry as current Democrat loyalist. The only moral thing is to not vote, which I have done for 12 years.

Jimmy Kimmel is a bad person.

Rodgers may be arrogant and full of himself but he has never done anything close to the repugnant things Jimmy Kimmel has. And black face, sexualizing minors, demeaning women, etc, etc, etc, have not been wrong recently. In our own culture, they were abhorrent decades before Kimmel did them.

Rodgers is condemned for basically being a hippy from 1973 who does LCD. Kimmel is POS.
KenBurnski
Heeeyyyyy maaaaan pass the 1080p
sycasey
Hold on, when did Jimmy Kimmel sexualize minors?
wc22
sycasey said:

Seriously?
wc22
KenBurnski said:

Heeeyyyyy maaaaan pass the 1080p
No, I am just really confused by the changing morality standards. Jimmy didn't get famous until the 2000's. His whole career should be looked at by the morality you had in that vague year 2000. Not 1865.
wc22
YuSeeBerkeley said:

I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with reading off a teleprompter. I'm just saying, he seems to overestimate his own intelligence when he's simply reading jokes that one of his 10 writers wrote. If Kimmel thinks he could win a debate with Rodgers on pretty much any topic, he's sorely mistaken. He's confusing success with intelligence and is guilty of the very thing he's accusing Rodgers of doing.
Rodgers is a 1973 era hippie. Kimmel is bigot who has writing crew and a teleprompter.
calumnus
wc22 said:

You actually make some potentially good points (and a lot of unsubstantiated claims) then destroy any hope of anyone taking you seriously with a statement like that.

bear2034
sycasey said:

I think we can all agree that like all pro athletes who start commenting on politics, Aaron Rodgers should just stick to sports.

I think we can all agree Jimmy Kimmel can dish it but can't take it.
calumnus
bear2034 said:

sycasey said:

I think we can all agree Jimmy Kimmel can dish it but can't take it.

That is false equivalence. Unless you think being anti-vax is the same as being a child molester.

Kimmel made fun of Rodgers' actual views which he has been very public about. He can defend his views. Tit for tat would be Rodgers making fun of Kimmel's actual views, or tying him to Pfizer as he has done with others. Trump has dished out plenty on Kimmel and Kimmel has taken it with humor.

Rodgers implying Kimmel is on the Jefferey Epstein list and guilty of a vile crime is pretty slanderous. It is not the same as making fun of someone being into alternative health.

Aaron is a great Cal Bear, he has generally had the courage of his beliefs, many of which I am very open to or even share. Ayahuasca is apparently amazing. However, he went way over the line on this one.

okaydo
wc22 said:

philly1121 said:

YuSeeBerkeley said:

Do you know our collective political opinions 20 years ago and how they have been weaponized? Obama was against gay marriage.

But let's go with 20 years. It's been 50+ years since black face and sexualizing minors was OK (70's rock). And Kimmel was 30 years behind. And what? He is good guy because he wrongly demonized people not wanting to take the COVID vaccine? That is his out? He was 30 years behind morality and because he was wrong in demonizing vaccine skeptics all the stuff he did is OK?

That is what this is really about. You can been a racially and sexually dinosaur for years, but then you can be wrong about COVID, and being wrong about COVID means all your past sins are washed away.

Black face was wrong in our culture when it was done. And it was repugnant by 1975 at least. And Jimmy did no wrong because... He was wrong about COVID.

Typical liberals.

Nice making-up history you've got there.

Jimmy Kimmel Live! premiered in January 2003.

So Kimmel wrapped up filming The Man Show in 2002.

Now here are instances of blackface that have been approved by network censors since Jimmy Kimmel Live! premiered:

Community, February 2011:

Scrubs, December 2003:

Scrubs, January 2006:

Scrubs, April 2006:

The Office, December 2012:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, November 2010:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, October 2012:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, October 2019:

30 Rock, November 2008:

30 Rock, December 2010:

30 Rock, April 2012:

The 84th Academy Awards, February 2012:

Mad Men, August 2009:

W/ Bob & David, November 2015:

Stella, July 2005:

Saturday Night Live, April 2007:

The Sarah Silverman Program, April 2007 (featuring Kimmel's then-girlfriend):

YuSeeBerkeley
If you listened to the recent Pat McAfee Show, Rodgers clarified that he wasn't suggesting that Kimmel would be on the list. He talked about that clip from Kimmel's show from last year around March where Kimmel makes fun of Rodgers and calls him a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist who should be in the concussion protocol for suggesting that there is an Epstein list about to come out. Between his remarks about the vaccine and his comments about the Epstein list, it would've been the second time that Kimmel is proven wrong, and that is why Kimmel may not want that Epstein list to come out. Rodgers said that he doesn't believe Kimmel is a pedophile and would not accuse someone of that with zero evidence. You can believe him or not, but his explanation is plausible and why I thought from the very beginning that any defamation claim against him would be pretty weak.
GMP
YuSeeBerkeley said:

If you listened to the recent Pat McAfee Show, Rodgers clarified that he wasn't suggesting that Kimmel would be on the list. He talked about that clip from Kimmel's show from last year around March where Kimmel makes fun of Rodgers and calls him a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist who should be in the concussion protocol for suggesting that there is an Epstein list about to come out. Between his remarks about the vaccine and his comments about the Epstein list, it would've been the second time that Kimmel is proven wrong, and that is why Kimmel may not want that Epstein list to come out. Rodgers said that he doesn't believe Kimmel is a pedophile and would not accuse someone of that with zero evidence. You can believe him or not, but his explanation is plausible and why I thought from the very beginning that any defamation claim against him would be pretty weak.

That seems plausible, as you've described it. Did he also say, "I am sorry for the damage I've caused, because while I did not intend to suggest that Jimmy Kimmel is on the list or a pedophile, it's clear that almost every person who heard what I said believed that's what I was implying. I'm sorry, Jimmy "

Because if he didn't, then his explanation rings hollow, IMO.

sycasey
wc22 said:

sycasey said:

Seriously?

Yes, seriously. I'm curious as to what you're referencing here.

And to be clear, I don't really care about what jokes Kimmel told on The Man Show 20 years ago. That doesn't much bother me one way or the other. Just curious what you're talking about.
philly1121
YuSeeBerkeley said:

How has Kimmel been proven wrong by Rodgers?

And Kimmel has gone after Rodgers several times. The first was his vax stance. The second was Kimmel going after Rodgers because Rodgers implied on Pat McAfee that the Chinese "weather balloon" story was deliberately set up to divert attention from the Epstein list. I mean, you can't make this stuff up. Put Rodgers' vaccine stance aside - I can't believe you are defending his absurdities. And, yes, they are absurdities.
oski003
sycasey said:

wc22 said:

sycasey said:

Seriously?

And to be clear, I don't really care about what jokes Kimmel told on The Man Show 20 years ago. That doesn't much bother me one way or the other. Just curious what you're talking about.

At the end of the man show, they ran a segment called girls on trampolines, which often had upwards views of women dressed as schoolgirls who bounced on trampolines. That was a long time ago, and I am not sure any of them were actually minors. Jimmy has cleaned up his act as he has gone mainstream.
wc22
calumnus said:

wc22 said:

You actually make some potentially good points (and a lot of unsubstantiated claims) then destroy any hope of anyone taking you seriously with a statement like that.

You are right. I was ranting after too many glasses wine and made an ass out of myself.
philly1121
wc22 said:

philly1121 said:

YuSeeBerkeley said:

Typical liberals.

ugh. Obama was against gay marriage when he was running for the Senate in 2004. His views evolved over time and in 2012, he began supporting same sex marriage rights.

Kimmel mocked Rodgers for lying about taking the vaccine, not Rodgers' vaccine stance.

As much as I can tell, Kimmel has not offered any opinion on the vaccine. He has mocked Rodgers on lying about taking the vaccine.

Again, I do think sensibilities change. Morals or morality is often redefined or reset through the passage of time. What was acceptable 20 years ago is often not acceptable now. So, if you're expecting an apology from Kimmel or Adam Carolla for the Man Show, I doubt you will get it. The rest of what you said is....interesting.
sycasey
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

wc22 said:

sycasey said:

Seriously?

At the end of the man show, they ran a segment called girls on trampolines, which often had upwards views of women dressed as schoolgirls who bounced on trampolines. That was a long time ago, and I am not sure any of them were actually minors. Jimmy has cleaned up his act as he has gone mainstream.
Oh, that's it? Grown women dressed as schoolgirls? Okay.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.