The Aaron Rodgers Positivity Thread Challenge

52,154 Views | 656 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Cal88
philly1121
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not sure if you are on Twitter but the level of invective and falsehoods now directed at Kimmel is because of what Rodgers said. You did not see any of this the day before. Now there's all kinds of fake legal documents that show he is on the list. There is nothing absurd or petty about calling someone out on their bullsh*t.
BearGoggles
philly1121 said:

I'm not sure if you are on Twitter but the level of invective and falsehoods now directed at Kimmel is because of what Rodgers said. You did not see any of this the day before. Now there's all kinds of fake legal documents that show he is on the list. There is nothing absurd or petty about calling someone out on their bullsh*t.
That is not a response to what I said or a justification for threatening a lawsuit.

Kimmel's "jokes" (like promoting the fake pee tape story) had social media ramifications as did his prior attacks on Rodgers or the countless other attacks he's leveled. Or his MANY other ad hominem attacks on people he didn't like.

To circle back where we started, Kimmel is a thin skinned Trump-like whiner who can dish it out but not take it.
GMP
BearGoggles said:

philly1121 said:

BearGoggles said:

philly1121 said:

And here we see how, yet again, politics can derail and obfuscate what would otherwise be a straightforward argument about vaccine utility and the clear as day implication and insinuration by Rodgers that Kimmel is somehow connected to Jeffrey Epstein.

Whats funny is that - Kimmel wasn't making fun of Rodgers for not taking the vaccine. He was making fun of him for lying about it. And he lied about it in a very pathetic way.

So, the insults start about comedic merit of Kimmel. Of course. And then the type of comedy that apparently relies on half truths. How? Completely ignoring Rodgers' own penchant for reliance on outlandish theories on health, politics or other social topic.

As another poster wrote, Rodgers passes himself off as some pseudo intellectual who seems to have knowledge about a number of topics - of which he then spouts off about, causing him to look an even bigger Buffon than before.

How far the mighty have fallen.

Kimmel did far more than that. He has attacked Rodgers for Rodgers' anti-vax position in general. He has called him a Karen and a wack packer (Howard Stern reference). He has mocked him for talking to Joe Rogan.

And beyond that, Kimmel was a vaccine scold/demagogue which, in hindsight, is not a great reflection on him.

https://nypost.com/sports/the-aaron-rodgers-jimmy-kimmel-feud-explained/

If all Kimmel did was make fun of Rodgers for lying, then I'd agree with you. But he did more than that.

And to my larger point, any "comedian" like Kimmel, who makes his livelihood making fun of people he has political disagreements with - all while using satire, half truths, and exaggerations - is an absolute hypocrite for threatening to sue a person for something said on a comedic podcast/sports show.

Given some of the ish Kimmel has said, he should have thicker skin. And beyond that, he really doesn't want a world where people can and do so people for comments made in a joking (or semi-serious) matter.

I have heard Kimmel make fun of Hollywood, liberals, Prince Harry and Joe Biden. You don't like him simply because he makes jokes about MAGA. You can simply tune out.

As for his jokes at Rodgers. Have you not seen all the absurdities that have come out of Rodgers' mouth? Click on the link I gave and you can see his "takes" on the vaccine, sunscreen, 9/11 and other zingers. This has ebbed from an absurd and near slanderous remark about Kimmel, to the fact that you don't like Kimmel because of his politics. And we're not really talking about that.

What we are talking about is Rodgers' seeming inability to talk intelligently about a topic he is asked about. And Pat McAfee quickly apologized for what Rodgers said because he knows what's up.

Dont feel like you have to hold water for Rodgers simply because of his views on the vaccine. He lied. Got caught. Went on Rogan to "explain" himself. And he was roasted for it. Fair game. Perhaps Rodgers needs another week in the dark.
I don't like Kimmel because he's not funny and has turned into an arrogant, grumpy, and condescending scold. As I posted above, most of the comedians I like are overtly liberal - politics has nothing to do with this.

80% of the jokes told by Colin Jost and Michael Che make fun of conservative viewpoints or people. Unlike Kimmel, they're typically very funny and will occasionally take a shot at a liberal.

Rodgers is fair game - as is Kimmel. After giving grief to and making fun of literally hundreds (if not thousands) of "public figures" over the years, it is a total ***** move for Kimmel to threaten a lawsuit when Rodgers fires back.

And the final irony. Kimmel's response - overreacting and threatening a frivolous and ill-conceived lawsuit - should remind you of another thin skinned public figure who is currently running for president.

Making fun of someone for something they say or do is one thing. Implying someone is a pedophile, and making this implication out of whole cloth because that person has criticized you or made fun of you in the past, is not the same. You arguing that turnabout is fair play here is intellectually dishonest.
bear2034
philly1121 said:

Nobody cares about Jimmy Kimmel that much.
bearister
I was being sarcastic. Jerry Lewis was never funny and it is a great source of French bashing that they hung a medal on him. I pretty much like the comics that you do. For comedy writing Woody Allen (pre Manhattan) and his disciple, Larry David,*are my favorites.

*I am not sure that a funnier half hour of TV comedy has ever been written than the Palestinian Chicken episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm (Bob Epstein aka Marty Funkhouser hit a home run in that episode)…... and Larry's bits on Seinfeld are iconic.

My common ground with you appears to be sports and comedy and with Cal88 sports, movies and music. Politics ruin everything.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
bear2034 said:

philly1121 said:

Nobody cared about Molly Knight...then all of sudden, Aaron Rodgers called her out in a press conference, demanding she apologize for The Wall Street Journal's "COVID toe" article.

Except she had nothing to do with the article.

But that didn't stop Knight from receiving hateful messages and death threats, prompting her to leave her home.

As I recapped here:
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/107329/replies/2164256

Now imagine Jimmy Kimmel, one of the most prominent people in America. Everybody knows where he works...and now, at the behest of Rodgers, people are trying to link him to being a child rapist. And being a child rapist is the worst thing you can be.

That's why Kimmel said Rodgers was endangering his family. Rodgers is a very powerful person, one of the most powerful athletes.

If he could do what he did to Molly Knight and make her life a living hell...Imagine what he's doing to Kimmel.

oski003
okaydo said:

bear2034 said:

philly1121 said:

Nobody cared about Molly Knight...then all of sudden, Aaron Rodgers called her out in a press conference, demanding she apologize for The Wall Street Journal's "COVID toe" article.

But that didn't stop Knight from receiving hateful messages and death threats, prompting her to leave her home.

As I recapped here:

Now imagine Jimmy Kimmel, one of the most prominent people in America. Everybody knows where he works...and now, at the behest of Rodgers, people are trying to link him to being a child rapist. And being a child rapist is the worst thing you can be.

That's why Kimmel said Rodgers was endangering his family. Rodgers is a very powerful person, one of the most powerful athletes.

If he could do what he did to Molly Knight and make her life a living hell...Imagine what he's doing to Kimmel.

Is Nicholas Roske going to get him? Is Rodgers in danger for being called an anti-vaxer? Hope Kimmel will be okay. Such a poor, harmless innocent man who was thrown into danger by this crazy quarterback!
YuSeeBerkeley
Rodgers probably shouldn't have said what he said, but Kimmel definitely has thin skin. He can dish it but can't take it. Having said all that, I don't think what Rodgers said is actionable. He didn't say Kimmel was on the list. He said Kimmel wouldn't want that list to come out. It could be because friends of his are on the list. Who knows?
okaydo
oski003 said:

okaydo said:

bear2034 said:

philly1121 said:

As I recapped here:

Is Nicholas Roske going to get him? Is Rodgers in danger for being called an anti-vaxer? Hope Kimmel will be okay. Such a poor, harmless innocent man who was thrown into danger by this crazy quarterback!

Anarchistbear
Death threats on social media build your brand
GMP
YuSeeBerkeley said:

Rodgers probably shouldn't have said what he said, but Kimmel definitely has thin skin. He can dish it but can't take it. Having said all that, I don't think what Rodgers said is actionable. He didn't say Kimmel was on the list. He said Kimmel wouldn't want that list to come out. It could be because friends of his are on the list. Who knows?

Agree it's not actionable, but is that the bar here? As a human being? It's not mine. It was a terrible thing to say. Your mental gymnastics about what he might have meant are pathetic. Who knows what he meant? Anyone with a functioning brain who is being honest.

sycasey
GMP said:

BearGoggles said:

philly1121 said:

BearGoggles said:

philly1121 said:

And here we see how, yet again, politics can derail and obfuscate what would otherwise be a straightforward argument about vaccine utility and the clear as day implication and insinuration by Rodgers that Kimmel is somehow connected to Jeffrey Epstein.

Whats funny is that - Kimmel wasn't making fun of Rodgers for not taking the vaccine. He was making fun of him for lying about it. And he lied about it in a very pathetic way.

So, the insults start about comedic merit of Kimmel. Of course. And then the type of comedy that apparently relies on half truths. How? Completely ignoring Rodgers' own penchant for reliance on outlandish theories on health, politics or other social topic.

As another poster wrote, Rodgers passes himself off as some pseudo intellectual who seems to have knowledge about a number of topics - of which he then spouts off about, causing him to look an even bigger Buffon than before.

How far the mighty have fallen.

Kimmel did far more than that. He has attacked Rodgers for Rodgers' anti-vax position in general. He has called him a Karen and a wack packer (Howard Stern reference). He has mocked him for talking to Joe Rogan.

And beyond that, Kimmel was a vaccine scold/demagogue which, in hindsight, is not a great reflection on him.

https://nypost.com/sports/the-aaron-rodgers-jimmy-kimmel-feud-explained/

If all Kimmel did was make fun of Rodgers for lying, then I'd agree with you. But he did more than that.

And to my larger point, any "comedian" like Kimmel, who makes his livelihood making fun of people he has political disagreements with - all while using satire, half truths, and exaggerations - is an absolute hypocrite for threatening to sue a person for something said on a comedic podcast/sports show.

Given some of the ish Kimmel has said, he should have thicker skin. And beyond that, he really doesn't want a world where people can and do so people for comments made in a joking (or semi-serious) matter.

I have heard Kimmel make fun of Hollywood, liberals, Prince Harry and Joe Biden. You don't like him simply because he makes jokes about MAGA. You can simply tune out.

As for his jokes at Rodgers. Have you not seen all the absurdities that have come out of Rodgers' mouth? Click on the link I gave and you can see his "takes" on the vaccine, sunscreen, 9/11 and other zingers. This has ebbed from an absurd and near slanderous remark about Kimmel, to the fact that you don't like Kimmel because of his politics. And we're not really talking about that.

What we are talking about is Rodgers' seeming inability to talk intelligently about a topic he is asked about. And Pat McAfee quickly apologized for what Rodgers said because he knows what's up.

Dont feel like you have to hold water for Rodgers simply because of his views on the vaccine. He lied. Got caught. Went on Rogan to "explain" himself. And he was roasted for it. Fair game. Perhaps Rodgers needs another week in the dark.
I don't like Kimmel because he's not funny and has turned into an arrogant, grumpy, and condescending scold. As I posted above, most of the comedians I like are overtly liberal - politics has nothing to do with this.

80% of the jokes told by Colin Jost and Michael Che make fun of conservative viewpoints or people. Unlike Kimmel, they're typically very funny and will occasionally take a shot at a liberal.

Rodgers is fair game - as is Kimmel. After giving grief to and making fun of literally hundreds (if not thousands) of "public figures" over the years, it is a total ***** move for Kimmel to threaten a lawsuit when Rodgers fires back.

And the final irony. Kimmel's response - overreacting and threatening a frivolous and ill-conceived lawsuit - should remind you of another thin skinned public figure who is currently running for president.

Making fun of someone for something they say or do is one thing. Implying someone is a pedophile, and making this implication out of whole cloth because that person has criticized you or made fun of you in the past, is not the same. You arguing that turnabout is fair play here is intellectually dishonest.

Yup, it seems to me there is a difference between Kimmel's jokes and one that accuses someone else of a serious crime (even if only by implication).
MinotStateBeav
GMP said:

YuSeeBerkeley said:

Agree it's not actionable, but is that the bar here? As a human being? It's not mine. It was a terrible thing to say. Your mental gymnastics about what he might have meant are pathetic. Who knows what he meant? Anyone with a functioning brain who is being honest.

Was there a bar for Kimmel when he talked about Rodgers on Covid? I mean he was pretty much attacking Aaron on late night TV and wasn't joking at all, he was very personal about it.
RighteousGoldenBear
I don't know/care much about the Rodgers-Kimmel beef, but I did see the Dua Lipa prank with Kimmel.....
..... wished I was Kimmel that night.

GMP
MinotStateBeav said:

GMP said:

YuSeeBerkeley said:

Was there a bar for Kimmel when he talked about Rodgers on Covid? I mean he was pretty much attacking Aaron on late night TV and wasn't joking at all, he was very personal about it.

Tell me what he said, because I don't spend my energy on this. But if if we criticizing things Rodgers did or said (e.g., trying to mislead people about his vaccination status), then that is fair game, IMO. Rodgers did something. Some defended him, some criticized him. But as far as I know, it was rooted in the reality of what Rodgers said/did.

What Rodgers said about Kimmel is not rooted in any reality. It's completely made up.
Cal88
GMP said:

MinotStateBeav said:

GMP said:

YuSeeBerkeley said:

Tell me what he said, because I don't spend my energy on this. But if if we criticizing things Rodgers did or said (e.g., trying to mislead people about his vaccination status), then that is fair game, IMO. Rodgers did something. Some defended him, some criticized him. But as far as I know, it was rooted in the reality of what Rodgers said/did.

What Rodgers said about Kimmel is not rooted in any reality. It's completely made up.

It's rooted in the fact that his longtime close friend Adam Perry Lang was part of Epstein's inner circle, having been his personal chef. Lang lived and traveled with Epstein for 4 years, including several trips to pedo island and to Epstein's other honeytrap properties in NM and FL. Lang also interacted with the women Epstein trafficked on a daily basis, he prepared their meals, according to Virginia Giuffre, a former Epstein victim.

Guiffre tried to reach out to Lang several times in the 2010s in order to help her testify against Epstein, but got no response from him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6638705/Police-swarm-Jimmy-Kimmels-beach-house-arrest-chef-Adam-Perry-Lang-threats-explosives.html

https://www.tiktok.com/@xnewschannel/video/7319922278496587054
philly1121
Ah yes - the two pillars of journalism - The Mail and TikTok. Are you serious?

What Rodgers said is not rooted in any fact. If he meant a person associated or affiliated with Kimmel - he should have said it.
sycasey
"Jimmy Kimmel knows a guy who cooked food for Epstein" is a pretty thin association.
oski003
sycasey said:

"Jimmy Kimmel knows a guy who cooked food for Epstein" is a pretty thin association.

He must know him kind of well. When Perry Lang was arrested for the sex ring in 2019, the FBI arrested him at Jimmy Kimmel's house.
sycasey
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

He must know him kind of well. When Perry Lang was arrested for the sex ring in 2019, the FBI arrested him at Jimmy Kimmel's house.
Here's an idea: maybe next time look up what he was actually arrested for.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/28/jimmy-kimmel-adam-perry-lang-hermosa-beach-arrest-swatted-not-charged/
philly1121
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

You're a fool, you know that? He wasn't arrested for a "sex ring", he was arrested for calling 911 and making criminal threats. Kimmel bailed him out and the charges were dropped when his phone records determined that he didn't make any calls and that he was the victim of swatting. Get your info from somewhere other than The Mail or InfoWars. Lazy
calumnus
Cal88
sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/28/jimmy-kimmel-adam-perry-lang-hermosa-beach-arrest-swatted-not-charged/

That's right, he wasn't arrested for that, the charges were later dropped. Kimmel bailed him out personally, going to the police station and fronting Lang his $50k bail, Lang clearly was a close friend of his. Kimmel might also have been Lang's business partner in his restaurant venture.

Lang lived with Epstein for 4 years, was part of his inner circle and accompanied him in his travels to Pedo Island, and to his New Mexico and Florida estates. Lang knew what was going on with Epstein, he also prepared meals for the girls and women that Epstein trafficked, according to the testimony of Virginia Guiffre, one of Epstein's victims.

oski003
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

That's right, he wasn't arrested for that, the charges were later dropped. Kimmel bailed him out personally, going to the police station and fronting Lang his $50k bail, Lang clearly was a close friend of his. Kimmel might also have been Lang's business partner in his restaurant venture.

Lang lived with Epstein for 4 years, was part of his inner circle and accompanied him in his travels to Pedo Island, and to his New Mexico and Florida estates. Lang knew what was going on with Epstein, he also prepared meals for the girls and women that Epstein trafficked, according to the testimony of Virginia Guiffre, one of Epstein's victims.

Sounds like a good friend. I stand corrected on the purpose of his 2020 arrest.
bear2034
Was Perry Lang making pizza at Jimmy Kimmel's house?
sycasey
oski003 said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

Sounds like a good friend. I stand corrected on the purpose of his 2020 arrest.

So basically we are back to "Jimmy Kimmel has a friend who used to cook for Epstein." Again, pretty thin.
bear2034
Big C said:

BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

Kimmel took to X/Twitter to dismiss Rodgers' claim about his connection to Epstein, writing,

"Dear A*******: for the record, I've not met, flown with, visited, or had any contact whatsoever with Epstein, nor will you find my name on any 'list' other than the clearly-phony nonsense that soft-brained wackos like yourself can't seem to distinguish from reality. Your reckless words put my family in danger. Keep it up and we will debate the facts further in court."

All Rodgers said was, "There's a lot of people, including Jimmy Kimmel are really hoping that (list) doesn't come out.".

So what else is this supposed to mean?

You really think that is enough for a public figure to win a slander lawsuit?
Not my question. What else do you think Rodgers could possibly mean when he says that?

In a comedic sports talk show, he implied that Kimmel or someone close to Kimmel is on the list. Thanks.
Agreed. Or that Kimmel, as part of the self appointed Hollywood intelligentsia, was afraid people in his tribe would be be on the list or embarrassed by its release. Which they are.
I don't think Jimmy Kimmel has ever appointed himself as part of the "intelligentsia."
Yeah - he and most of hollywood did when they felt like they could tell people to get vaxxed, how to vote, and became so overtly (and proudly) partisan.

There is a smugness to Jimmy Kimmel which I find annoying. Of course, there is a smugness to Aaron Rodgers which I find annoying, too. That said, I still like AR, as a Cal guy, but I wish sometimes he wouldn't say some of the things he says. I will give people a lot of latitude for their opinions, personally, but I'd prefer he didn't say things that put him in an unpopular light.

It depends. I'm sure AR has become more popular to others.
bear2034
DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

So it seems Kimmel is the one who can dish it out and can't take it. Kimmel was a vaccine scold and absolutely went after Rodgers for his vaccine position and, in hindsight, Rodgers was more correct than Kimmel (in terms of the risk to Rodgers of not taking the vax)

Once again, you're confused.
Kimmel's problem with AR was that AR lied about his vaccine status.
Period.

We can't read Kimmel's mind. My guess is he doesn't really care but at the same time Pfizer sponsors his network.
C6Bear
bear2034 said:

DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

So it seems Kimmel is the one who can dish it out and can't take it. Kimmel was a vaccine scold and absolutely went after Rodgers for his vaccine position and, in hindsight, Rodgers was more correct than Kimmel (in terms of the risk to Rodgers of not taking the vax)

Period.

We can't read Kimmel's mind. My guess is he doesn't really care but at the same time Pfizer sponsors his network.
Pfizer advertises across a wide variety of media, not just the Disney conglomerate of networks which includes ABC and ESPN. I'm curious why the anti-vax Rodgers signed with the Jets since he's now working for and getting paid by Johnson&Johnson. Seems a bit hypocritical.

You want to talk Kimmel being thin-skinned when Rodgers carries a chip on his shoulder the size of a boulder. His favorite past time now is going on worthless shows and podcasts like McAfee's and Rogan's and airing his personal grievances and often uniformed opinions. Talk about thin-skinned!

Rodgers was more right about COVID than Kimmel? Ask the millions who died from COVID just how right Rodgers was. Did Rodgers infect anyone else when he got COVID? Did anyone die from contact with Rodgers? That was Kimmel's beef that some bonehead anti-vaxxer like Rodgers could have killed his immune-compromised infant son with their cavalier attitude towards the virus.
YuSeeBerkeley
Who gives a sh*t about Jimmy Kimmel? He's no Boy Scout. He's done some deplorable things throughout his career including blackface pretending to be Karl Malone and objectifying women on The Man Show. Rodgers probably got the reaction that he wanted out of Kimmel, and I just think Kimmel crying about the danger to his family was a bit much and pathetic for a supposed comedian. Again, I'm not excusing Rodgers. As I said at the outset, he probably shouldn't have said what he said. I just don't get why people here are so passionately defending Kimmel, who has no affiliation with Cal and has been a Rodgers hater for quite some time.
philly1121
YuSeeBerkeley said:

Who gives a sh*t about Jimmy Kimmel? He's no Boy Scout. He's done some deplorable things throughout his career including blackface pretending to be Karl Malone and objectifying women on The Man Show. Rodgers probably got the reaction that he wanted out of Kimmel, and I just think Kimmel crying about the danger to his family was a bit much and pathetic for a supposed comedian. Again, I'm not excusing Rodgers. As I said at the outset, he probably shouldn't have said what he said. I just don't get why people here are so passionately defending Kimmel, who has no affiliation with Cal and has been a Rodgers hater for quite some time.
Why would I defend an anti-vaxxer, conspiracy theorist simply because he went to Cal?

And the Man Show was last broadcast 20 years ago. Sensibilities change.
oski003
philly1121 said:

YuSeeBerkeley said:

Why would I defend an anti-vaxxer, conspiracy theorist simply because he went to Cal?

And the Man Show was last broadcast 20 years ago. Sensibilities change.

Is Djokovic an anti-vaxer too? What makes one an anti-vaxer?
Cal88
C6Bear said:

bear2034 said:

DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

Period.

Pfizer advertises across a wide variety of media, not just the Disney conglomerate of networks which includes ABC and ESPN. I'm curious why the anti-vax Rodgers signed with the Jets since he's now working for and getting paid by Johnson&Johnson. Seems a bit hypocritical.

You want to talk Kimmel being thin-skinned when Rodgers carries a chip on his shoulder the size of a boulder. His favorite past time now is going on worthless shows and podcasts like McAfee's and Rogan's and airing his personal grievances and often uniformed opinions. Talk about thin-skinned!

Rodgers was more right about COVID than Kimmel? Ask the millions who died from COVID just how right Rodgers was. Did Rodgers infect anyone else when he got COVID? Did anyone die from contact with Rodgers? That was Kimmel's beef that some bonehead anti-vaxxer like Rodgers could have killed his immune-compromised infant son with their cavalier attitude towards the virus.

Children have much stronger natural immunity to covid, the death rate from covid in the under 18 group is of the order of 1 in 600,000, and much less than that if you exclude children with comorbidities.

It is also well established by now that vaccines do not prevent transmission of the virus, and that their secondary effects are far from benign. The risks from the mRNA vaccines do not necessarily outweigh their benefits for a healthy professional athlete like Rodgers.
bear2034
YuSeeBerkeley said:

Vaccine Nazis are real.
philly1121
Often its defined as someone who has an innate and perhaps confused distrust of government, or public health regulations and see the two as a threat to their rights, even to their deaths. And that a mandate for said vaccine or vaccination would abridge their freedom of speech or religion. Which was always folly since one can walk just about anywhere or walk into anything without a mask - even in 2020.

It was always an interesting dichotomy really. In a capitalist economy - those same corporations would offer mandates to employees, only for the same pro free market supporters to decry those mandates as un-American.

But back to the point - Rodgers is a loon. He's anti-sunscreen, doesn't believe in 9/11, thinks dolphin sex sounds are soothing, There's so much more. He passes himself off as an intellectual (he's woke in the other direction), but he really does wear tinfoil under that helmet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.