The Aaron Rodgers Positivity Thread Challenge

52,205 Views | 656 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Cal88
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sounds like the Jets and Packers aren't that close to agreeing on the trade terms. should be interesting.
BearSD
philbert said:

sounds like the Jets and Packers aren't that close to agreeing on the trade terms. should be interesting.
That would explain AR's announcement, intended to reduce the Packers' leverage to almost zero so that they have to take whatever deal the Jets offer.
okaydo
BearSD said:

philbert said:

That would explain AR's announcement, intended to reduce the Packers' leverage to almost zero so that they have to take whatever deal the Jets offer.

BearSD
okaydo said:

BearSD said:

philbert said:

I think they've got it wrong, but if the Jets cough up two 1st-round picks in the deal, then maybe they're right. Otherwise, they're not.
okaydo
BearSD said:

okaydo said:

BearSD said:

philbert said:

I think they've got it wrong, but if the Jets cough up two 1st-round picks in the deal, then maybe they're right. Otherwise, they're not.

okaydo

MinotStateBeav
"The Ball is now in Aaron's court, why is he making us wait and hold the 2 teams hostage!!!!??"

We find out he informed the packers last week lol

"WOW Aaron Rodgers gave away all the leverage now!!!!!""
wc22
It's a dumb narrative like most narratives bobbleheads all jump in on at once. Rodgers can retire after the draft and completely screw GB cap and plans.

Green Bay can:
1. Try to get Rodgers to stay which he doesn't want to do and from all indications either does Green Bay.
2. Try to trade Rodgers to another team, but since Rodgers can just retire, no team is going to risk taking the cap hit. No team.
3. Trade Rodgers to Jets and get some picks or players.

That's it.
philbert
GB will take a 40M cap hit if/when they trade him. How much different will that cap hit be if he retires after the draft?
BearSD
philbert said:

GB will take a 40M cap hit if/when they trade him. How much different will that cap hit be if he retires after the draft?
According to this article, AR is open to renegotiating his deal to lessen the cap hit, if he plays this season.

If there is no renegotiation, the cap hit is about the same whether he retires or is traded.
philbert
BearSD said:

philbert said:

According to this article, AR is open to renegotiating his deal to lessen the cap hit, if he plays this season.

If there is no renegotiation, the cap hit is about the same whether he retires or is traded.
Sounds like if GB doesn't like what NY is offering, they can just wait it out unless they want to do AR a favor (which I doubt they will do). I was watching some NFL show the other day and one of the talking heads was saying NY was likely offering in the neighborhood of what they paid for Favre many years ago: a 4th round pick that could become a 3rd. I believe I read GB wanted two firsts. Can they meet in the middle or will this stay a stalemate?
okaydo
Wow, Rodgers is friends with a Kennedy. Hopefully, Rodgers can get his new friend to imbue his wisdom to the Cal football team.

BearSD
Of course AR is friends with that Kennedy.

Hey, Aaron, Kyrie Irving called . He wants you to return his tinfoil hat.
ColoradoBear
philbert said:

BearSD said:

philbert said:

Sounds like if GB doesn't like what NY is offering, they can just wait it out unless they want to do AR a favor (which I doubt they will do). I was watching some NFL show the other day and one of the talking heads was saying NY was likely offering in the neighborhood of what they paid for Favre many years ago: a 4th round pick that could become a 3rd. I believe I read GB wanted two firsts. Can they meet in the middle or will this stay a stalemate?

Peter King was on some sports radio outlet a few days ago saying the only trade that makes sense to him is a 2nd rounder this year and conditional 1st or 2nd rounder in a future year or Rodgers plays more than one season.

Seems fair actually.

Rodgers will get about $60 million cash to play this year regardless of where he plays, and that's enough cash that I think he will play regardless, even if it means returning to the pack. The packers also have incentive to get this done quickly because they need to bring in other players and set their roster too. While he packers have an option to defer the $60 million to be paid in later years, it would then still be $60 million against the cap in future years too. So if Rodgers stays, that's no draft picks and $60 million less cap. (It would be absolutely silly to play Love over Rodgers this year).

Rodgers should probably come out and say he's 100% in for this year, but undecided for 2024 win the inclination to retire. That would lower his trade value to about what King suggests and scare the packers into moving him now to avoid having a love/rodgers issue.
dmh65
Hey, BearSD,
Keep getting your boosters of the shot that will give you total immunity and prevent transmission after the first two shots. Don't worry, viruses don't mutate, so the shot is like totes effective! And so are the boosters! Don't believe what you hear about adverse events - that's just right wing misinformation, all coincidences!! Remember, real science is all about trust, and science doesn't allow you or scientists to question science. While I hope that you will decide to get any and all vaccines, remember, the decision shouldn't be yours to make - it might be your body, but your politicians and employer should make the decision for you. They always have your best interests in mind. Shame on Aaron Rodgers for not going along with you and endangering grandparents everywhere, amirite? I am so proud of our university for their sensible authoritarianism. Don't forget to disinfect your groceries, make toddlers get the jab and always keep your mask on, covid-23 might already be here.
BearSD
Make sure your tinfoil hat is nice and tight, dmh, while you are telling everyone you know that this stuff is "common sense" or "independent thinking" or whatever else far-right media tells you to call it.
Quote:

Mr. Kennedy, 68, began inveighing against vaccines well before the arrival of the coronavirus, contending that they cause autism a notion that has been soundly rejected by medical experts. But the tenor of his attacks intensified with the arrival of Covid vaccinations and brought new scrutiny not only to Mr. Kennedy's positions on vaccines, but to other unorthodox causes he has gravitated to over the years.

Mr. Kennedy now says Sirhan B. Sirhan did not kill Mr. Kennedy's father and has urged California parole commissioners to free him. He has repeated a popular conspiracy theory that 5G high speed transmission towers are being installed across the nation "to harvest our data and control our behavior."

MinotStateBeav
philly1121
dmh65 said:

Hey, BearSD,
Keep getting your boosters of the shot that will give you total immunity and prevent transmission after the first two shots. Don't worry, viruses don't mutate, so the shot is like totes effective! And so are the boosters! Don't believe what you hear about adverse events - that's just right wing misinformation, all coincidences!! Remember, real science is all about trust, and science doesn't allow you or scientists to question science. While I hope that you will decide to get any and all vaccines, remember, the decision shouldn't be yours to make - it might be your body, but your politicians and employer should make the decision for you. They always have your best interests in mind. Shame on Aaron Rodgers for not going along with you and endangering grandparents everywhere, amirite? I am so proud of our university for their sensible authoritarianism. Don't forget to disinfect your groceries, make toddlers get the jab and always keep your mask on, covid-23 might already be here.

I nominate this post ^^ for Worst Post of the Year. Its early. But I think its a lock.
rkt88edmo
I wish I could jump on board with that, but the data around the vax indicates it is pretty short term, I'd still rather take the vax than get covid again. I got it from a coworker who decided to come to work with a fever even though I was Moderna 3x (last shot was about 9 months prior to infection.)

So his sarcasm isn't totally unfounded.
oski003
rkt88edmo said:

I wish I could jump on board with that, but the data around the vax indicates it is pretty short term, I'd still rather take the vax than get covid again. I got it from a coworker who decided to come to work with a fever even though I was Moderna 3x (last shot was about 9 months prior to infection.)

I was covid free until I got Omicron 4 months after my third shot. Was fairly sick for a week with 2 days of intense coughing that required medication. Despite CDC guidance, I don't plan on getting a 4th shot.
philly1121
rkt88edmo said:

I love sarcasm. I'm a big fan of pettiness. But when its poor quality, then its another thing. His post smacks of Qanon, anti-govt, fight for my rahts, that has unnecessarily killed people. As for my personal experience, I got two Pfizer in 2020. I had one booster, 4 days before Christmas Eve, 2021. On Xmas Eve I had a house full of family with 2 who were sick, but didn't know they had covid. It took nearly everyone down in my house (at least 20 people), including my family (5). No one was wearing a mask. Most in the house were vaxxed. But none were hospitalized, and recovered after a week. As for me - I never got sick. Despite close contact. Who knows. Anyways. We move on.
rkt88edmo
oski003 said:

rkt88edmo said:

I was covid free until I got Omicron 4 months after my third shot. Was fairly sick for a week with 2 days of intense coughing that required medication. Despite CDC guidance, I don't plan on getting a 4th shot.
That's sorta where I'm at. I'll mask up hardcore if things come back, and only plan to vax if a strain that is both highly virulent and contagious shows up and the vax is known to be effective against that strain.
MinotStateBeav
Jets GM Joe Douglas on Aaron

BearHunter
AR is the immunized GOAT.
I hope he gets to another Super Bowl!
calumnus
philly1121 said:

rkt88edmo said:

I love sarcasm. I'm a big fan of pettiness. But when its poor quality, then its another thing. His post smacks of Qanon, anti-govt, fight for my rahts, that has unnecessarily killed people. As for my personal experience, I got two Pfizer in 2020. I had one booster, 4 days before Christmas Eve, 2021. On Xmas Eve I had a house full of family with 2 who were sick, but didn't know they had covid. It took nearly everyone down in my house (at least 20 people), including my family (5). No one was wearing a mask. Most in the house were vaxxed. But none were hospitalized, and recovered after a week. As for me - I never got sick. Despite close contact. Who knows. Anyways. We move on.

My personal experience, out here in Asia and nearby Pacific islands shut down and near universal masking was the norm. When the US surpassed 1 million deaths, Japan had only 20,000 and mostly around US military bases. Tokyo, the largest city in the world, had fewer deaths than any city in the US. South Korea tamped it out early with widespread testing. Taiwan tamped it out early they were playing baseball in front of live audiences by late Spring of 2020.

Meanwhile, the US had no coordinated policy and little testing apart from the sick, with politicized (even armed) resistance to lockdowns and masking. 10 friends and family members on the Mainland died of COVID, Including a few friends who went to Cal, even played football. My brother-in-law, who played basketball for Stanford in the early 80s, was all PAC-10 and drafted by the Lakers was found dead in his apartment. Just horrific. My nephew, an only child, became an orphan at 22.

My parents are both in their late 80's and have serious health challenges. My dad (who also played basketball for Stanford) has been fighting cancer, is undergoing chemo and us immuno-compromised. My mother is suffering from the effects of diabetes and has had to start regular dialysis. Fortunately both avoided COVID before the vaccine and are now fully vaccinated, but both recently tested COVID positive while hospitalized. They both had only minor symptoms. I believe the vaccine saved their lives and would have saved those, much younger and healthier, friends and family that I lost before the vaccine was available. Or just a sensible coordinated national effort to reduce transmission rates through, testing, quarantines, lock downs and masking until the vaccine was available for those who wanted it.

MinotStateBeav
calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

rkt88edmo said:

My personal experience, out here in Asia and nearby Pacific islands shut down and near universal masking was the norm. When the US surpassed 1 million deaths, Japan had only 20,000 and mostly around US military bases. Tokyo, the largest city in the world, had fewer deaths than any city in the US. South Korea tamped it out early with widespread testing. Taiwan tamped it out early they were playing baseball in front of live audiences by late Spring of 2020.

Meanwhile, the US had no coordinated policy and little testing apart from the sick, with politicized (even armed) resistance to lockdowns and masking. 10 friends and family members on the Mainland died of COVID, Including a few friends who went to Cal, even played football. My brother-in-law, who played basketball for Stanford in the early 80s, was all PAC-10 and drafted by the Lakers was found dead in his apartment. Just horrific. My nephew, an only child, became an orphan at 22.

My parents are both in their late 80's and have serious health challenges. My dad (who also played basketball for Stanford) has been fighting cancer, is undergoing chemo and us immuno-compromised. My mother is suffering from the effects of diabetes and has had to start regular dialysis. Fortunately both avoided COVID before the vaccine and are now fully vaccinated, but both recently tested COVID positive while hospitalized. They both had only minor symptoms. I believe the vaccine saved their lives and would have saved those, much younger and healthier, friends and family that I lost before the vaccine was available. Or just a sensible coordinated national effort to reduce transmission rates through, testing, quarantines, lock downs and masking until the vaccine was available for those who wanted it.

didn't most of those places that were strict mask wearers just delay the number of deaths. Eventually you're going to catch covid, inevitable and if you had serious comorbidities your risk of death skyrockets. I remember they went thru massive covid spreads well after it burned thru the USA. It probably also helped that they didn't force people infected with covid into elderly spaces like New York.
calumnus
MinotStateBeav said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

rkt88edmo said:

didn't most of those places that were strict mask wearers just delay the number of deaths. Eventually you're going to catch covid, inevitable and if you had serious comorbidities your risk of death skyrockets. I remember they went thru massive covid spreads well after it burned thru the USA. It probably also helped that they didn't force people infected with covid into elderly spaces like New York.

Yes Japan has now had over 33 million cases but has had only 74,000 deaths because they were able to reduce transmission and eliminate outbreaks using masking until most of the country was vaccinated.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/japan/
wc22
Or because they have drastically less obesity and diabetes. You know, things actually linked to COVID deaths and not wild speculation.
MrGPAC
MinotStateBeav said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

rkt88edmo said:

Delaying was the whole point.

If you have 10 ventilators and 100 people who have a 100% death rate without a ventilator and an 80% death rate with one, you get 98 dead people and 2 alive people. If you spread those 100 people out so you only need 10 at a time you have 20 alive people instead.

More than anything the lockdowns were about protecting our hospitals and our healthcare workers. It is not profitable to be able to have enough beds for everyone in the nation at any given time and the hospitals were getting overrun. They were sending people home with aspirin who were having active heart attacks because there was no where to put them, and keeping them around people with COVID would increase their odds of dying anyway.

Not to mention if you get COVID now there is a lot more that the hospitals can do to help you than in March 2020. There are drugs and protocols that they can follow that greatly increase your odds of survival that they just didn't know about or have access to then.
calumnus
wc22 said:

Or because they have drastically less obesity and diabetes. You know, things actually linked to COVID deaths and not wild speculation.

My mom is 83 and has very bad diabetes. She is insulin dependent. She has lost all kidney function and is on dialysis 3 days a week. She has been in and out of hospitals and three months ago tested positive for COVID for the first time. Fortunately she is vaccinated and boosted and had zero symptoms. She was already close to death and there is no doubt she would have died prior to the vaccine.

My brother-in-law was in his 50s. He was a former All-PAC-10 basketball player, drafted by the Lakers. Between the two, my mother is in far worse health. Fortunately we kept her away from COVID until she could be vaccinated. Unfortunately my brother-in-law got it before the vaccine and was found dead in his apartment. He died far too young, and as a country we could have done more, we could have followed the long ago proven effective protocols for pandemics until the vaccine was available. The way we eliminated small pox.

Here in the Pacific islands obesity and diabetes levels are FAR higher than in the US. Lock downs, masking, testing and quarantines until the vaccine was available saved lives.
philbert

wc22
Huh, despite all the leverage Aaron burned the Packers did not get two unconditional firsts. Amazing. Still more than I thought they would get.
philbert
This is basically AR for a 2nd rounder this year and a conditional 2nd rounder next year that could become a 1st. That's fair for someone of AR's stature who has a big salary number and who wanted out. Never thought GB would get two firsts plus other assets that they supposedly wanted.
BearHunter
I guess I'm a New York Jets fan now.
calumnus
BearHunter said:

I guess I'm a New York Jets fan now.

My feelings about Rodgers are mixed, somewhat like his estranged family members, but I will definitely watch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.