Kamala Harris for President

50,679 Views | 979 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by bearister
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Yogi is a gooner. Who knew?
His journey from ultra-lefty Bernie Sanders fan to mouthpiece for Trump Republicans has been quite breathtaking.

I don't think he was ever a lefty. The first time I interacted with him he was throwing ultra-conservative laissez-faire Austrian economics at me. He's just a very weird dude he thinks he is very clever with his charades.
His politics seem to be entirely based on getting back at whoever he thinks is most annoying at the moment. It's not about accomplishing anything positive.

Well, we're bound to get a 10 tweet rage post from him now.

be water
sycasey
dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Yogi is a gooner. Who knew?
His journey from ultra-lefty Bernie Sanders fan to mouthpiece for Trump Republicans has been quite breathtaking.

I don't think he was ever a lefty. The first time I interacted with him he was throwing ultra-conservative laissez-faire Austrian economics at me. He's just a very weird dude he thinks he is very clever with his charades.
His politics seem to be entirely based on getting back at whoever he thinks is most annoying at the moment. It's not about accomplishing anything positive.

Well, we're bound to get a 10 tweet rage post from him now.
Can't wait.
AunBear89
As I have said before:

How Yogi sees himself:

How the rest of reality sees Yogi:
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bear2034

Willie Brown knows Kamala like Hunter Biden knows his sister in law.
MinotStateBeav
GoOskie
Most tRump voters wouldn't know what the cloud is either. What's your point? Besides, this was 15 years ago.
dimitrig

I am not the right's strategy to paint Kamala Harris as stupid is a winning one given her opposition is The Donald.

bear2034
Pointing out an opponent's weakness has always been a strategy in politics. All this meme creation, however, doesn't come from the RNC, Trump campaign, or the legacy media; it's a bottom-up, grassroots movement coming from the people.
Cal88
dimitrig said:

I am not the right's strategy to paint Kamala Harris as stupid is a winning one given her opposition is The Donald.

Nah, this is a definite weakness, that is going to be exploited.

A lot of politicians aren't that bright, but often that doesn't matter because many cover it up with good salesmanship and oratory skills. Kamala however is terrible in that department though, way below your average politician.
sycasey
I might have to watch it again, but I don't recall Kamala seeming particularly dumb during her VP debate with Mike Pence (this being the longest extended instance of her speaking off-script I can think of). She also seems to have done well on the stump since becoming the presumed nominee. Is she actually terrible?
Cal88
Media pundits are floating PA gov. Shapiro as the likely VP choice.
golden sloth
Cal88 said:

Pennsylvania is the state most likely to determine the outcome of the election, so that makes a ton of sense.
bear2034
golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

Pennsylvania is the state most likely to determine the outcome of the election, so that makes a ton of sense.
Hold....

concordtom
Kamala's father, 1989

Economic Global Imbalances
American University

Rare footage of Kamala Harris' father, Donald J. Harris speaking at a forum in 1989 while part of a panel. At the time he was an Economic Professor at Stanford University sharing insights on economic issues in America and other countries.
bear2034

Go woke, go broke.
oski003
bear2034 said:

Go woke, go broke.

Please stay more woke than less woke.
MinotStateBeav
Cal88
golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

It's a wash at best, having a bona fide IDF guy this day and age as a running mate is going to lose her a lot of Democrat and independent votes, including in PA. This is especially bad because Kamala is not that strong a leader, her VP could end up carrying a lot of the leadership load.

It looks like it's going to be Shapiro after all.
Big C
Cal88 said:

golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

It's a wash at best, having a bona fide IDF guy this day and age as a running mate is going to lose her a lot of Democrat and independent votes, including in PA. This is especially bad because Kamala is not that strong a leader, her VP could end up carrying a lot of the leadership load.

I will say this; they are keeping their cards close to the vest. I've heard Shapiro, I've heard Kelly; I've heard Walz, I've heard Beshear and I've heard Buttigieg... all within the past week or so.

If I know Team Kamala like I think I do, they are spending too much time on it. Like they did in 2020, with the " ... and that little girl was me!" nugget. Afterwards, they patted themselves on the back and then the next day realized that there were a lot of other things they hadn't thought of.

As I believe I noted four years ago (maybe even here), they think they are the smartest people in the room.
golden sloth
Cal88 said:

golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

Gotta disagree. Americans aren't going to vote based on the Palestinian plight.
golden sloth
Big C said:

Cal88 said:

golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

I will say this; they are keeping their cards close to the vest. I've heard Shapiro, I've heard Kelly; I've heard Walz, I've heard Beshear and I've heard Buttigieg... all within the past week or so.

If I know Team Kamala like I think I do, they are spending too much time on it. Like they did in 2020, with the " ... and that little girl was me!" nugget. Afterwards, they patted themselves on the back and then the next day realized that there were a lot of other things they hadn't thought of.

As I believe I noted four years ago (maybe even here), they think they are the smartest people in the room.

I think it's a play to dominate the news cycle, and the news cycle loves to gobble up baseless speculation. Between Biden dropping out, the Harris VP, and the convention the D's will be able to dominate the news cycle for nearly a month.

That said, much like college football, it's not worthwhile to poll watch until mid-October as too many unknowns will introduce themselves between now and then.
sycasey
golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

Gotta disagree. Americans aren't going to vote based on the Palestinian plight.

It's a thing that gets a lot of attention from a very vocal minority, but not actually a top electoral issue.
Cal88
War in the middle east is going to be on the forefront as the Netanyahu government is escalating with Lebanon and Iran.
okaydo
Looks like Kamala picked the elderly guy.
Cal88

Walz is a much less controversial choice between the two midwestern governors finalists.
dajo9
Shapiro got the Cal88 kiss of death. Just Sevilla before him.
"The rules were that you were not going to fact check"
MAGA
Cal88
dajo9 said:

Shapiro got the Cal88 kiss of death. Just Sevilla before him.

In this case, you can thank me for that.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
okaydo said:

Looks like Kamala picked the elderly guy.

…..you mean that a guy almost 20 years younger than the guy with a slab of Swiss cheese for a brain running for POTUS?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
I feel like Shapiro would have been more electorally helpful. That said, Walz is not going to hurt either.
GoOskie
I think Walz is a great choice. Vet, former teacher, coach, pro union and working class, Midwestern appeal.

The only fault I see is that everyone is crediting him for starting the republicans are weird trend. NO. That was me. I've been calling them bizarre and baffling for years. I should get that credit!
Cal88
sycasey said:

I feel like Shapiro would have been more electorally helpful. That said, Walz is not going to hurt either.

Walz has some antiwar credentials, Shapiro would have scored very poorly there and on foreign policy in general from a progressive perspective:

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/harris-walz/
Quote:

Harris picks Walz, a midwesterner with antiwar credentials
It appears the VP recognized that Gov. Shapiro, who criticized Israel-Gaza protesters, would divide Democrats

sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Walz has some antiwar credentials, Shapiro would have scored very poorly there and on foreign policy in general from a progressive perspective:

Quote:

It appears the VP recognized that Gov. Shapiro, who criticized Israel-Gaza protesters, would divide Democrats

Yes, but as I note: I don't think foreign policy moves the needle very much, especially from the VP.

Shapiro probably would have added a point or two in Pennsylvania, which seems like a more electorally important state than Minnesota.
Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Quote:

Yes, but as I note: I don't think foreign policy moves the needle very much, especially from the VP.

Shapiro probably would have added a point or two in Pennsylvania, which seems like a more electorally important state than Minnesota.

Obama's positioning as an antiwar candidate in 2008 helped him beat both Hilary and McCain. As well, as I've mentioned before, foreign policy could emerge as a more important issue given the imminent danger of escalation in the Middle East.

https://www.thoughtco.com/why-obama-won-2008-3325497
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Quote:

Obama's positioning as an antiwar candidate in 2008 helped him beat both Hilary and McCain. As well, as I've mentioned before, foreign policy could emerge as a more important issue given the imminent danger of escalation in the Middle East.

https://www.thoughtco.com/why-obama-won-2008-3325497
The one way foreign policy gains electoral salience is when US troops are/were actually fighting in a war. That was the case in 2008. Not so much right now. Maybe that will happen between now and November, but it still seems unlikely to me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.