Kamala Harris for President

50,654 Views | 979 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by bearister
82gradDLSdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dimitrig said:

bear2034 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

bear2034 said:

sycasey said:

I think most of the posters here are centrist or left of center . . . but the right-wingers sure make up for it with posting volume in OT.

I think most posters who are centrist ended up on the right because the left shifted far left. The centrists didn't shift, the left did.

This is Bill Mahr's contention.

I've seen this same tweet posted by Elon Musk, Scott Adams, and Ben Shapiro.

I posted this earlier but if the left has moved farther left ideologically then why are the likes of George Bush and Dick Cheney endorsing Kamala? Why is McCain, who was the GOP Presidential nominee perceived as a RINO villain? Why was Kevin McCarthy ousted as Speaker?

No, it is the GOP that shifted.

It's Trump. When he goes away I'll reevaluate. I have no idea who is behind the wacky left. I'm not sure that move is just one person.
SBGold
dimitrig said:

bear2034 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

bear2034 said:

sycasey said:

I think most of the posters here are centrist or left of center . . . but the right-wingers sure make up for it with posting volume in OT.

I think most posters who are centrist ended up on the right because the left shifted far left. The centrists didn't shift, the left did.

I posted this earlier but if the left has moved farther left ideologically then why are the likes of George Bush and Dick Cheney endorsing Kamala? Why is McCain, who was the GOP Presidential nominee perceived as a RINO villain? Why was Kevin McCarthy ousted as Speaker?

No, it is the GOP that shifted far right.

Yes. Whiny Repugs won't admit it, but it's true, it's true
bear2034
dimitrig said:

bear2034 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

bear2034 said:

sycasey said:

George Bush did not endorse Kamala. Dick Cheney is a swamp creature that supports the people behind waging global war. HIs daughter, Liz Cheney, lost by 40 points in her home state Republican primary election. McCain's daughter is a DeSantis supporter who detests Kamala. And Kevin McCarthy still makes frequent visits to Mar-a-Lago because he's looking for a new position in the Trump White House.
tequila4kapp
dimitrig said:

bear2034 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

bear2034 said:

sycasey said:

I just could not disagree with this more strongly.

Certain Republican are voting for Harris because they hate Trump the man and they have pretty substantial policy differences. Trump and Maga / America First is decidedly not traditional Republican.

Republicans have a group of what, 40 house members that are allegedly conservative. A few years back that group existed as the Tea Party. The rest of the party is basically a bunch of political *****s with zero backbone, ideology (minus abortion, apparently), etc., who really only care about getting elected. They are conservative when it suits them politically, MAGA when it suits them politically, RINO when it suits them politically..

bear2034
sycasey said:

bear2034 said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

Harris may be the dumbest and least qualified candidate in the history of the republic.

This is an amazing thing to say, given who her opponent is. Literally the only person to win the Presidency after zero years in public service.

Trump has 4 years of public service as president and won his party's nomination 3 times. Kamala never won her own party's primary once.

And in 2016 he had zero years of public service.

But now Trump is considered, "establishment"?
Zippergate

Certain Republican are voting for Harris because they hate Trump the man and they have pretty substantial policy differences. Trump and Maga / America First is decidedly not traditional Republican.

Republicans have a group of what, 40 house members that are allegedly conservative. A few years back that group existed as the Tea Party. The rest of the party is basically a bunch of political *****s with zero backbone, ideology (minus abortion, apparently), etc., who really only care about getting elected. They are conservative when it suits them politically, MAGA when it suits them politically, RINO when it suits them politically..

100%. The anti-MAGA Republicans are what liberals used to oppose: rubber-stamping the lobbying efforts of big business, advancing tax, trade and other policies that favor the rich, and American empire. Above all, they're about preserving the status quo and quite satisfied to be the minority opposition and let the other half of the Uniparty, the authoritarian left, run things as long as they can keep their positions and continue to feather their nests.

We need a third party. Right now, that is MAGA. MAGA hasn't shifted the party to the extreme right. Quite the contrary. Trump, Elon, RFK Jr, Tulsi, these are all former Democrats. The latter three have chosen this path out of patriotism and principle at great cost to their political, social and business careers. The authoritarian left despises them yet embraces someone like Dick Cheney who is the embodiment everything they hate. It's wild.

MAGA is a shift away from elitism, from corporatism, not liberalism. The Left-Right scale is not the right measuring stick. But the whole country has shifted dramatically to the left just like the graphic shows and that is not even arguable.
bear2034
SBGold said:

dimitrig said:

bear2034 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

bear2034 said:

sycasey said:

Think about it. Based on her voting record in the Senate, Kamala Harris was ranked the most liberal senator out of all 100 senators. And the Democratic Party selected her to be their nominee. She was never elected by the American people.
Zippergate
Et tu Bill Ackman?

Minor quibble here and there but this is a fine list.

Big C

What constitutes "right" and what constitutes "left" has shifted. The continuum is no longer a straight line.

Being able to select news sources -- most of which are profit driven -- that fit one's beliefs, has made it easier for everyone to drift to extremes.

We're kind of screwed, actually.
dimitrig
Zippergate said:

Et tu Bill Ackman?

Minor quibble here and there but this is a fine list.

A billionaire supporting a Republican.

What a surprise.
dajo9
Zippergate said:

100%. The anti-MAGA Republicans are what liberals used to oppose: rubber-stamping the lobbying efforts of big business, advancing tax, trade and other policies that favor the rich, and American empire. Above all, they're about preserving the status quo and quite satisfied to be the minority opposition and let the other half of the Uniparty, the authoritarian left, run things as long as they can keep their positions and continue to feather their nests.

We need a third party. Right now, that is MAGA. MAGA hasn't shifted the party to the extreme right. Quite the contrary. Trump, Elon, RFK Jr, Tulsi, these are all former Democrats. The latter three have chosen this path out of patriotism and principle at great cost to their political, social and business careers. The authoritarian left despises them yet embraces someone like Dick Cheney who is the embodiment everything they hate. It's wild.

MAGA is a shift away from elitism, from corporatism, not liberalism. The Left-Right scale is not the right measuring stick. But the whole country has shifted dramatically to the left just like the graphic shows and that is not even arguable.

What you call anti MAGA is everything MAGA supports. MAGA is lipstick on a pig.

Dems would increase taxes on the rich, raise minimum wage, expand health care access. MAGAts are against all that. MAGAts support lower taxes for the rich, fewer protections against corporate predatory behavior, big money controlling our politics, and protecting the elite.
"The rules were that you were not going to fact check"
MAGA
Zippergate
As if billionaires don't support and donate to the Dems.
tequila4kapp
Big C said:

What constitutes "right" and what constitutes "left" has shifted. The continuum is no longer a straight line.

Being able to select news sources -- most of which are profit driven -- that fit one's beliefs, has made it easier for everyone to drift to extremes.

We're kind of screwed, actually.
bingo
bear2034
dajo9 said:

Zippergate said:

Dems would increase taxes on the rich, raise minimum wage, expand health care access. MAGAts are against all that. MAGAts support lower taxes for the rich, fewer protections against corporate predatory behavior, big money controlling our politics, and protecting the elite.

This is what the Democrats actually accomplished these past 4 years.

Big C

Headline: "bear2034 touts lengthy list of Biden-Harris accomplishments!"
dajo9
Ahh, yes. The famous MAGAt propaganda lists of lies.
MAGA
bear2034
Big C said:

Headline: "bear2034 touts lengthy list of Biden-Harris accomplishments!"
It's much shorter than Bill Ackman's tweet.
SBGold
bear2034 said:

dajo9 said:

Zippergate said:

This is what the Democrats actually accomplished these past 4 years.

It's a great list until you fact check it on factcheck.org, then like magic it disappears
bear2034
It's a great list because you don't need factcheck.org to tell you that it's true.
bear2034
dimitrig said:

dimitrig
Zippergate said:

As if billionaires don't support and donate to the Dems.

Zippergate
Crime is down.

BearGoggles
Big C said:

BearGoggles said:

Big C said:

Holocaust Harris said:

bear2034 said:

Doug Emhoff impregnated his nanny.

I think this election is going to be all about voter turnout.

This has been true for the last 20 years when the country has been basically evenly divided. Thank you captain obvious.

Voter enthusiasm for their candidate (or hate of the other candidate) drives turnout. Also $$ helps when it comes to election day turnout drives and more questionable acts like ballot harvesting.

Like it or not, Trump has a very motivated base that blindly supports him. Independents are also trending toward trump.

In stark contrast, there is no real enthusiasm for Biden or Harris - Harris may be the dumbest and least qualified candidate in the history of the republic. The media is trying hard to pump her up, but she is utterly uninspiring and until recently was being hidden awa. So instead the dems have focused on getting their base to hate trump, often with lies about Project 2025 and abortion rights. It worked in 2022 (when Trump wasn't even on the ballot). We shall see this year.

There is a reason Harris has emerged from protective custody to do more media. And that reason is because her people think she's losing. It is clearly not because her people think she's great with media.

BearGoggles, even though you may not actually have respect for me, you might show some, even just for politeness' sake, by capitalizing my name. Have I ever called you "beargoggles"?

True, some of Trump's base is more fervent, but counteracting that is the fact that Harris' more educated base might be more likely to vote than the "non-college-educated" masses that make up Trump's following*. And while some Trump supporters are very enthusiastic, the rally-goers we see, and their ilk, only account for a small percentage of those who will vote for him. Which gets back to Captain Obvious' point about voter turnout.

"Harris may be the dumbest and least qualified candidate in the history of the republic." Seriously?!? What were Trump's qualifications in 2016? And while Harris may not be the brightest bulb on the Xmas tree, Trump -- who I actually think has a certain genius -- has sounded lately like the schoolyard bully who is getting all F's. Dumb? Be honest, how do you like Trump's tarriff ideas? So maybe you are lashing out in frustration. In any event, that sucking sound we hear is your credibility rushing out the window, based on that one sentence alone.

- Captain Obvious

* When a candidate's support among the educated steadily erodes over eight years, does that perhaps tell us something? Hmmm...

What are Harris' qualifications? How many primary votes did she receive in 2020 and 2024? What are her major accomplishments in academia, business, the law, or politics? Point me to one extemporaneous speech of hers - without a teleprompter - that makes any sense or speaks to unique ideas. Why did she fail the bar exam after attending a law school that, at the time, had a 80%+ passage rate? What are Kamala's credentials and accomplishments other than using Willie Brown to achieve political power in CA? Why is she afraid to hold a press conference or take questions from a hostile reporter/crowd?

I stand by what I said - she is dumb. Her inability to campaign or speak contemporaneously reveals that. And she's a terrible retail politician, which is why she's never earned one vote in an election outside of California.

Despite your attempts to make it about Trump, he is largely irrelevant. I never claimed he was a genius or well qualified by historical standards. However, in 2016 and 2020, he actually campaigned and won a primary without having his party rig the results (incidentally, without my support or vote),. He won the 2016 election. He takes questions from a hostile press and doesn't duck venues that are unfriendly to him. He has agreed to debates on CNN/NBC/ABC - Kamala won't go on Fox or any other conservative venue.

The rest of your post evidences your elitism of which you are ironically so proud. What you fail to see is that the establishment "educated" are the targets of Trump's populism - that is one reason why they tend to not vote for him. And many of Trump's voters support him precisely because they are tired of the elitism and bad policies of the "educated" - people like you who look down on the "stupid people".

In terms of tariffs, I'll first point out that Biden/Harris maintained many of the Trump tariffs. I wonder why? Maybe they are lashing out in frustration?

My Cal degree in economics tells me that - from an economic/wealth perspective - tariffs are bad. What we've learned in the last 40 years is that ignores the social impacts/costs (i.e., an inequality in how the increased wealth is distributed) on the middle and lower class. It also ignores potential national security implications when food production/manufacturing is exported to hostile foreign countries. It also ignores that a country like China does not reciprocate its free trade policies and instead seeks to exploit them.

So, personally, I'm in favor of tariffs directed at China because: (i) they don't compete fairly (e.g., steel and solar panels) or offer foreign countries an even chance to compete in China; (ii) they don't abide by international norms of free trade (e.g., protection of IP); (iii) China is a lawbreaker in facilitating the manufacture of fentanyl; and (iv) from a national security perspective, it is bad to be so reliant on a country like China that is a global adversary.

If there is a war, the USA will be screwed when it can't get produce many items, including basic/generic medicines. The CHIPS act was a step in the right direction - kudos to Biden/Harris for that - though I do have concerns as to whether the government can effectively execute/manage the program. But it is good national security policy to adopt policies that reduce reliance on China.

Yes - the tariffs reduce wealth in the USA (at least as an economist would measure wealth). But I think that reduction is a price worth paying in the case of China. And, I think Trump would say that the only way to get China to MAYBE change its behavior is tariffs. I'm not sure that is the case, but I would support the tariffs even if that's not the goal.

For the record, absent geopolitical concerns (e.g., Russia or Iran), I am generally not in favor of tariffs for other "friendly" countries as long as they engage in reciprocal free trade.

I'll be curious to hear if/why you think tariffs on China should be lifted.
dajo9
BearGoggles said:

Big C said:

BearGoggles said:

Big C said:

Holocaust Harris said:

bear2034 said:

Doug Emhoff impregnated his nanny.

I think this election is going to be all about voter turnout.

This has been true for the last 20 years when the country has been basically evenly divided. Thank you captain obvious.

Voter enthusiasm for their candidate (or hate of the other candidate) drives turnout. Also $$ helps when it comes to election day turnout drives and more questionable acts like ballot harvesting.

Like it or not, Trump has a very motivated base that blindly supports him. Independents are also trending toward trump.

In stark contrast, there is no real enthusiasm for Biden or Harris - Harris may be the dumbest and least qualified candidate in the history of the republic. The media is trying hard to pump her up, but she is utterly uninspiring and until recently was being hidden awa. So instead the dems have focused on getting their base to hate trump, often with lies about Project 2025 and abortion rights. It worked in 2022 (when Trump wasn't even on the ballot). We shall see this year.

There is a reason Harris has emerged from protective custody to do more media. And that reason is because her people think she's losing. It is clearly not because her people think she's great with media.

BearGoggles, even though you may not actually have respect for me, you might show some, even just for politeness' sake, by capitalizing my name. Have I ever called you "beargoggles"?

True, some of Trump's base is more fervent, but counteracting that is the fact that Harris' more educated base might be more likely to vote than the "non-college-educated" masses that make up Trump's following*. And while some Trump supporters are very enthusiastic, the rally-goers we see, and their ilk, only account for a small percentage of those who will vote for him. Which gets back to Captain Obvious' point about voter turnout.

"Harris may be the dumbest and least qualified candidate in the history of the republic." Seriously?!? What were Trump's qualifications in 2016? And while Harris may not be the brightest bulb on the Xmas tree, Trump -- who I actually think has a certain genius -- has sounded lately like the schoolyard bully who is getting all F's. Dumb? Be honest, how do you like Trump's tarriff ideas? So maybe you are lashing out in frustration. In any event, that sucking sound we hear is your credibility rushing out the window, based on that one sentence alone.

- Captain Obvious

* When a candidate's support among the educated steadily erodes over eight years, does that perhaps tell us something? Hmmm...

What are Harris' qualifications? How many primary votes did she receive in 2020 and 2024? What are her major accomplishments in academia, business, the law, or politics? Point me to one extemporaneous speech of hers - without a teleprompter - that makes any sense or speaks to unique ideas. Why did she fail the bar exam after attending a law school that, at the time, had a 80%+ passage rate? What are Kamala's credentials and accomplishments other than using Willie Brown to achieve political power in CA? Why is she afraid to hold a press conference or take questions from a hostile reporter/crowd?

I stand by what I said - she is dumb. Her inability to campaign or speak contemporaneously reveals that. And she's a terrible retail politician, which is why she's never earned one vote in an election outside of California.

Despite your attempts to make it about Trump, he is largely irrelevant. I never claimed he was a genius or well qualified by historical standards. However, in 2016 and 2020, he actually campaigned and won a primary without having his party rig the results (incidentally, without my support or vote),. He won the 2016 election. He takes questions from a hostile press and doesn't duck venues that are unfriendly to him. He has agreed to debates on CNN/NBC/ABC - Kamala won't go on Fox or any other conservative venue.

The rest of your post evidences your elitism of which you are ironically so proud. What you fail to see is that the establishment "educated" are the targets of Trump's populism - that is one reason why they tend to not vote for him. And many of Trump's voters support him precisely because they are tired of the elitism and bad policies of the "educated" - people like you who look down on the "stupid people".

In terms of tariffs, I'll first point out that Biden/Harris maintained many of the Trump tariffs. I wonder why? Maybe they are lashing out in frustration?

My Cal degree in economics tells me that - from an economic/wealth perspective - tariffs are bad. What we've learned in the last 40 years is that ignores the social impacts/costs (i.e., an inequality in how the increased wealth is distributed) on the middle and lower class. It also ignores potential national security implications when food production/manufacturing is exported to hostile foreign countries. It also ignores that a country like China does not reciprocate its free trade policies and instead seeks to exploit them.

So, personally, I'm in favor of tariffs directed at China because: (i) they don't compete fairly (e.g., steel and solar panels) or offer foreign countries an even chance to compete in China; (ii) they don't abide by international norms of free trade (e.g., protection of IP); (iii) China is a lawbreaker in facilitating the manufacture of fentanyl; and (iv) from a national security perspective, it is bad to be so reliant on a country like China that is a global adversary.

If there is a war, the USA will be screwed when it can't get produce many items, including basic/generic medicines. The CHIPS act was a step in the right direction - kudos to Biden/Harris for that - though I do have concerns as to whether the government can effectively execute/manage the program. But it is good national security policy to adopt policies that reduce reliance on China.

Yes - the tariffs reduce wealth in the USA (at least as an economist would measure wealth). But I think that reduction is a price worth paying in the case of China. And, I think Trump would say that the only way to get China to MAYBE change its behavior is tariffs. I'm not sure that is the case, but I would support the tariffs even if that's not the goal.

For the record, absent geopolitical concerns (e.g., Russia or Iran), I am generally not in favor of tariffs for other "friendly" countries as long as they engage in reciprocal free trade.

I'll be curious to hear if/why you think tariffs on China should be lifted.

It's hard for me to understand the mindset that Donold's increasingly incoherent and increasingly fascist rants about genes and mass deportations of legal and illegal immigrants speak well of him.

It's also hard for me to listen to somebody pretend to care about wealth inequality when Donold's only legislative achievement was a massive tax giveaway mostly to the wealthy.

As for Vice President Harris, she has run the most impressive campaign we have ever seen when you consider her circumstances. Without any assist or boost from a media that has largely tried to defeat her by ignoring her presence ever since she unexpectedly won the first primary debate in 2020, in short time she has rallied a demoralized party through an enthusiastic response from millions of Americans. The incumbent President deciding not to run so late in the process would normally be a disaster scenario but Harris has unified the party with energy in short order.

In the process, Harris has come from behind and taken the lead. She has mopped the floor in a debate with Donold, such that he won't debate her again. She has done great in speaking directly to the people while bypassing a Washington press corp that has downplayed the achievements and / or painted every Democratic Presidential candidate with right wing framing going back to at least Bill Clinton. We know that is true by how disappointed the right is that Harris refuses to play their game.

As for tariffs, I agree with you that the small tariffs Donold put on are fine. They certainly aren't material enough to be gamechangers in any respect. That's why they are still in place. President Biden's Chips Act is a far bigger deal. But the huge tariffs Donold is talking about now would be disastrous. Just way too big and not the way to go about resolving the issues you pretend to care about. Such a huge sales tax on ordinary Americans would be a disaster.

Of course we have no idea what Donold would actually do because he is a proven liar with no credibility. He's most likely to just play inconsequential small ball with tariffs again. His supporters will say he couldn't get bigger tariffs past the deep state (too weak?). Then he'll pursue more massive tax cuts for the rich, like himself. As you read this, you know it is true.
MAGA
tequila4kapp
The other thing about Trump's tarrifs is they are used in place of traditional military threats. It's a philosophy of deescalating militarily and instead using our economy to get what we want. Losing a little wealth is preferable to losing American lives. It isn't something I naturally favored or believe in but strategically - especially against China - it appears to have been rather brilliant.
dajo9
tequila4kapp said:

The other thing about Trump's tarrifs is they are used in place of traditional military threats. It's a philosophy of deescalating militarily and instead using our economy to get what we want. Losing a little wealth is preferable to losing American lives. It isn't something I naturally favored or believe in but strategically - especially against China - it appears to have been rather brilliant.

The right hyping up military alarmism and then claiming victory. True to form.
MAGA
graguna
bear2034 said:

SBGold said:

dimitrig said:

bear2034 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

bear2034 said:

sycasey said:

Think about it. Based on her voting record in the Senate, Kamala Harris was ranked the most liberal senator out of all 100 senators. And the Democratic Party selected her to be their nominee. She was never elected by the American people.
Think about it. Based of his assaulting record in the world, Donald Trump was ranked the man most likely to rape your mother out 346 mill people. and the republican party selected him to be their nominee. He was never elected by anyone with morals.
bear2034
You must be a woman.
bear2034

I don't know how the black vote is divided among the battleground states but either way, this isn't a good sign of things to come.
bear2034

I'm not panicking, you are.
bear2034
JD Vance is drawing larger crowds in PA than Kamala while Trump is campaigning in Coachella, California.
calpoly
tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

bear2034 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

bear2034 said:

sycasey said:

What you hate to admit is tRump is the republican party...it has become a party of neo-fascists that are anti-democratic.
bear2034
But Doug Emhoff slapped the s**t out of his ex-girlfriend.
movielover
Harris camp and DNC must be panicking since Obama is talking down to the broth-as.
SBGold
movielover said:

Harris camp and DNC must be panicking since Obama is talking down to the broth-as.
Hitting the board with some more racism, eh lover?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.