hanky1 was right again...COVID was no big deal

35,616 Views | 393 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by okaydo
BearForce2
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Democrats changed their minds and are now protesting against social distancing rules.
BearForce2

LMK5
It really is appalling, but also very predictable. Those blue mayors were so strict about preventing people from having weddings, going to religious services, working their jobs, protesting against the lockdown, and most ironically, attending funerals. Only a few on this board saw through the self-righteous posturing; but not a hint of Covid-prevention urgency from the Dems when the Floyd protests started. Why? That's easy:

The lockdown protesters were easy marks--people who posed no real threat to the power-hungry Dem governors and mayors. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for them to test the limits of their powers and they weren't going to let some tax-paying science-deniers steal their show. But the Floyd protesters, well, they were largely 18-25 year-olds who had been locked down for almost 90 days, without jobs, and with reduced hope--a compressed bottle of lighter fluid waiting for a source of ignition. Additionally, they knew that any talk of quelling those protests--for any reason--would land them in a racist bucket they would never be able to crawl out of. And so, in true hypocrite fashion, the all-powerful Dem politicians not only canned any urgent talk of Covid danger, but joined in on the up-till-then illegal proceedings, SIP orthodoxy be damned.

The silver lining? They've lost a good deal of their credibility and will face fury if they try to tighten the screws again on the non-looting general public, and hopefully some will pay on election day.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
Big C
BearForce2 said:

Democrats changed their minds and are now protesting against social distancing rules.

That's actually a pretty good one, BF2.

(Wow, look how I can get along with the "other side": I'm a uniter, not a divider!)
smh
Big C said:

BearForce2 said:

That's actually a pretty good one, BF2.

Wow, look how I can get along with "the other side": I'm a uniter, not a divider!
strong in this one the traitor is.
================

for no extra cost here's what a stick drawing of Yoda looks like, after a surprise space-sucking vacuum leak pops from stage left..

\
\
\ ____
_.' : `._
.-.'`. ; .'`.-.
__ / : ___ ; /___ ; __
,'_ ""--.:__;".-.";: :".-.":__;.--"" _`,
:' `.t""--.. '<@.`;_ ',@>` ..--""j.' `;
`:-.._J '-.-'L__ `-- ' L_..-;'
"-.__ ; .-" "-. : __.-"
L ' /.------. ' J
"-. "--" .-"
__.l"-:_JL_;-";.__
.-j/'.; ;"""" / .'"-.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
GBear4Life
LMK5 said:

It really is appalling, but also very predictable. Those blue mayors were so strict about preventing people from having weddings, going to religious services, working their jobs, protesting against the lockdown, and most ironically, attending funerals. Only a few on this board saw through the self-righteous posturing; but not a hint of Covid-prevention urgency from the Dems when the Floyd protests started. Why? That's easy:

The lockdown protesters were easy marks--people who posed no real threat to the power-hungry Dem governors and mayors. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for them to test the limits of their powers and they weren't going to let some tax-paying science-deniers steal their show. But the Floyd protesters, well, they were largely 18-25 year-olds who had been locked down for almost 90 days, without jobs, and with reduced hope--a compressed bottle of lighter fluid waiting for a source of ignition. Additionally, they knew that any talk of quelling those protests--for any reason--would land them in a racist bucket they would never be able to crawl out of. And so, in true hypocrite fashion, the all-powerful Dem politicians not only canned any urgent talk of Covid danger, but joined in on the up-till-then illegal proceedings, SIP orthodoxy be damned.

The silver lining? They've lost a good deal of their credibility and will face fury if they try to tighten the screws again on the non-looting general public, and hopefully some will pay on election day.

How does one reconcile holding these dual, mutually incompatible and contradictory positions?
Cal88
GoOskie said:

blanky1 posts are like $hiite. All the flies come out swarming.

This hanky dump appears to have been taken right on the bull's eye.

Contra Costa Co. now allows you to go out and protest with a crowd of 100 people, but "regular" gatherings with 13 people are banned by CoCo health officials, because you will kill grandma if you have a backyard BBQ with your friends and family, but she will absolutely live if you go out and protest shoulder to shoulder with 99 strangers.
LMK5
Cal88 said:

GoOskie said:

Contra Costa Co. now allows you to go out and protest with a crowd of 100 people, but "regular" gatherings with 13 people are banned by CoCo health officials, because you will kill grandma if you have a backyard BBQ with your friends and family, but she will absolutely live if you go out and protest shoulder to shoulder with 99 strangers.
I just can't see, no matter how hard I try, how Cal-educated, rational beings don't cry out in unison at these oppressive bureaucrats. I'm dumbfounded. Say it Oaktown! Say it sycasey! Say it going4roses! Even you, Unit2Sucks! Just please say it doesn't compute with you either. I'm begging you.
Anarchistbear
Not now, the Manhattans are being delivered by Doordash.
BearForce2
LMK5 said:

Cal88 said:

GoOskie said:

I just can't see, no matter how hard I try, how Cal-educated, rational beings don't cry out in unison at these oppressive bureaucrats. I'm dumbfounded. Say it Oaktown! Say it sycasey! Say it going4roses! Even you, Unit2Sucks! Just please say it doesn't compute with you either. I'm begging you.

I found them, caught in the act.
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearForce2 said:

OK, bear with me because I'm trying to get this straight. You're in favor of snitches but against whistleblowers?

For the record, I'm in favor of both.
sycasey
LMK5 said:

Cal88 said:

GoOskie said:

Hmm, have the counties actually lifted their restrictions to "allow" large protest gatherings, or are those gatherings simply happening whether officials like it or not? It's not as if these guidelines were enforced super harshly before. I've been out and seen people gathering in local parks; the cops were not exactly going around and rounding them up for breaking social-distancing rules then either.

If officials wanted to stop these protests, how would they do so? Arresting more people and holding them together in jail cells? Would that be any better for COVID spread? Almost certainly not. From all of the news articles I can find, local health officials are just kind of hoping and praying the spread of disease doesn't get significantly worse.
hanky1
TRIGGER WARNING: hanky1 about to take down special ed kids again

My point is this: COVID is serious and we should look at the FACTS when forming a response. The question is how do we respond. It is now 100% clear that the response that the rage mob and liberal public health "experts" demanded were all based on lies. 100% lies. I knew it was a lie before the Floyd protest and called it out. Just look at all my posts before this week. After these protest, it is clear even to the rage mob that it was all a lie, but they're too busy manufacturing another false narrative about police brutality (which I also beat down and shat on).

BearForce2
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Cal88 said:

GoOskie said:

Hmm, have the counties actually lifted their restrictions to "allow" large protest gatherings, or are those gatherings simply happening whether officials like it or not? It's not as if these guidelines were enforced super harshly before. I've been out and seen people gathering in local parks; the cops were not exactly going around and rounding them up for breaking social-distancing rules then either.

If officials wanted to stop these protests, how would they do so? Arresting more people and holding them together in jail cells? Would that be any better for COVID spread? Almost certainly not. From all of the news articles I can find, local health officials are just kind of hoping and praying the spread of disease doesn't get significantly worse.

No worries, the leftist mob stopped caring about this last week. Go out and have a blast.

BancroftBear93
LMK5
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Cal88 said:

GoOskie said:

I'm not talking about the enforcement. Many enforcement officials--including here in California--laid their jobs on the line by publicly stating that they weren't going to enforce the draconian lockdown rules. I'm speaking directly about public officials' reactions to the Floyd protests vs. the lockdown protests. You know as well as I do how the lockdown protesters were labeled as selfish and were shamed, even for going to church, including drive-through services.

You know that duh-Blasio specifically said that protests against the lockdown were not allowed in NYC; and you know his reaction to the Chasidic funeral. You know Whitmer told Michiganders they weren't even allowed to drive to their vacation homes. You know a hairstylist in Dallas was arrested for trying to open her business. You know that Newsom punished Orange County for having too many people for his liking go to the beach. You very well know that Garcetti and others had set up hot lines, encouraging constituents to rat on their neighbors if they saw them violate any lockdown rules. And you know that Garcetti also joined the Floyd protests, kneeling shoulder-to-shoulder with them, and did so without a mask.

Have you seen any politician or public official get up and say that although they understand the Floyd protesters' motive that they must find a safer way to demonstrate; that they're being very selfish and will be dealt with when things setttle down? Can you imagine what their reaction would have been had those protesters been marching against the lockdown itself?

Now I want you to tell me that based on what I've mentioned above that you retain full confidence in your civic leaders and that nothing that you've seen with your own eyes, or heard with your own ears, has caused you to question their resolve or their motives.

sycasey
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Cal88 said:

GoOskie said:

I'm not talking about the enforcement. Many enforcement officials--including here in California--laid their jobs on the line by publicly stating that they weren't going to enforce the draconian lockdown rules. I'm speaking directly about public officials' reactions to the Floyd protests vs. the lockdown protests. You know as well as I do how the lockdown protesters were labeled as selfish and were shamed, even for going to church, including drive-through services.

You know that duh-Blasio specifically said that protests against the lockdown were not allowed in NYC; and you know his reaction to the Chasidic funeral. You know Whitmer told Michiganders they weren't even allowed to drive to their vacation homes. You know a hairstylist in Dallas was arrested for trying to open her business. You know that Newsom punished Orange County for having too many people for his liking go to the beach. You very well know that Garcetti and others had set up hot lines, encouraging constituents to rat on their neighbors if they saw them violate any lockdown rules. And you know that Garcetti also joined the Floyd protests, kneeling shoulder-to-shoulder with them, and did so without a mask.

Have you seen any politician or public official get up and say that although they understand the Floyd protesters' motive that they must find a safer way to demonstrate; that they're being very selfish and will be dealt with when things setttle down? Can you imagine what their reaction would have been had those protesters been marching against the lockdown itself?

Now I want you to tell me that based on what I've mentioned above that you retain full confidence in your civic leaders and that nothing that you've seen with your own eyes, or heard with your own ears, has caused you to question their resolve or their motives.

If you're telling me that politicians sometimes have political motives for doing things, then sure, no argument. It happens on the other side of the street as well, with Republican officials feeling pressure to support something just because Trump supports it (no matter how idiotic). And conservatives here calling the lockdowns unacceptable government overreach but being totally fine with cops cracking the heads of peaceful protesters.
LMK5
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Cal88 said:

GoOskie said:

If you're telling me that politicians sometimes have political motives for doing things, then sure, no argument. It happens on the other side of the street as well, with Republican officials feeling pressure to support something just because Trump supports it (no matter how idiotic). And conservatives here calling the lockdowns unacceptable government overreach but being totally fine with cops cracking the heads of peaceful protesters.
I am specifically requesting your opinion on the stark difference in our leaders' reactions to the Floyd protesters vs. the lockdown protesters. Please tell me your opinion on this specifically and why you think they reacted so differently.
GBear4Life
sycasey said:

If you're telling me that politicians sometimes have political motives for doing things, then sure
I think he's pointing out that YOU and the SIP fundamentalists are behaving like this. LIke low life politically motivated politicians.
sycasey
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Cal88 said:

GoOskie said:

I am specifically requesting your opinion on the stark difference in our leaders' reactions to the Floyd protesters vs. the lockdown protesters. Please tell me your opinion on this specifically and why you think they reacted so differently.

I think they reacted differently because in their political and governmental calculation, the consequences of speaking against the protests were worse than the consequences of supporting them. Those consequences were not the same for the lockdown protests.
LMK5
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Cal88 said:

GoOskie said:

I think they reacted differently because in their political and governmental calculation, the consequences of speaking against the protests were worse than the consequences of supporting them. Those consequences were not the same for the lockdown protests.
Thank you. Agree 100%.
Yogi3
dajo9 said:

Over 1 out of 1,000 residents of New York and New Jersey are dead from Covid-19.
For those who are mathematically inclined, that number expressed as a percentage is over 0.1%. And that's WITH liberal object of love Mario Cuomo making the conscience decision to send thousands of nursing home patients to their deaths by forcing them to be housed with patients infected with coronavirus.

And we shut down the entire country for it and ruined the personal economies of far more than 1 in 1000 working class citizens.
sycasey
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Cal88 said:

GoOskie said:

Thank you. Agree 100%.

I should also be clear that I included "governmental" concerns as part of the calculation, because it seems to me the suggestion here has been that Dem politicians are only supporting these protests because of their liberal base voters supporting them.

I'm sure politics is involved here (these are politicians after all), but if it were clear that some kind of government action to curtail these protests would help the public health situation then I would cry out against the governors/mayors for failing to take action. I don't think that's the case. The government telling protesters to stop protesting police brutality will not convince those protesters to stay home (it may even spur even more of them to keep coming), and more police action to force them off the streets will also only exacerbate the situation. So even if I am super concerned about COVID spread, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to ask the local government to do. Personally, I just hope that the fact that these protests are outdoors will limit the infections.

I'll also say that even though people keep claiming that I'm some hard-line supporter of Shelter In Place, I don't think my words or actions would support such a characterization. Some other folks here have been, but not me. Also by the way, at the beginning of the COVID lockdowns the poster calling for the absolute harshest lockdowns was GBear4Life, who literally called for Martial Law to be declared. Perhaps we can cut everyone some slack for having shifting opinions as we have learned more about COVID-19.
Yogi3
sycasey said:

I'll also say that even though people keep claiming that I'm some hard-line supporter of Shelter In Place, I don't think my words or actions would support such a characterization. Some other folks here have been, but not me. Also by the way, at the beginning of the COVID lockdowns the poster calling for the absolute harshest lockdowns was GBear4Life, who literally called for Martial Law to be declared. Perhaps we can cut everyone some slack for having shifting opinions as we have learned more about COVID-19.
One of those shifting positions being continuing to lick the boots of Gavin Newsom for having reopened the state while the state still remains mostly closed.

And the good reason for that? Does not exist.
sycasey
Lucas Lee said:

sycasey said:

One of those shifting positions being continuing to lick the boots of Gavin Newsom for having reopened the state while the state still remains mostly closed.

And the good reason for that? Does not exist.

First of all, if a person supported Newsom's actions before and still supports him today that's not a shift, that's holding the same opinion.

Secondly, while I have generally favored Newsom's handling of COVID, I would personally prefer a faster reopening for some businesses (like movie theaters and hair salons). I also have no special expertise in this matter, so I can't definitely say his timetable is wrong. The only thing I have argued strongly against on this board is the idea that he and other Democrats want to keep the shutdowns going inevitably. That is plainly untrue, given that restrictions have been loosened gradually and more have been announced for next week.
BearForce2

BearForce2

Brooklyn Museum, June 14, 2020.
Black Trans Lives
GBear4Life
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

lmao there was no calculation unless you call this a calculation:

"Who are the perps in these protests and riots that aren't following social distancing protocols?"

"Our base and folks on the Left."

"Cool. No harm no foul."

Politicians have an excuse. BI leftists, who aren't trying to save and advance a career, do not.
hanky1
How can anyone with a brain take this guy seriously

GBear4Life
hanky1 said:

LOL...Fredo Sr.
Yogi3
hanky1 said:

I always trust people on medical issues that are trying to cut Medicaid funding in their own states and murder thousands of people in retirement homes with their moronic policies.
hanky1
Dear Team Apocalypse,

Where is your God now?

BearGoggles
"The Data Are In: It's Time for Major Reopening" from the WSJ.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-data-are-in-its-time-for-major-reopening-11592264199

Among other things, references a study by UC Berkeley team concluding shelter in place had a very limited effect. Since this is a Cal research project, maybe we should move this discussion to the main board?

smh
three strikes and you're out 1) wall street journal, 2) op-ed, 3) commentary

and the cherry on top: subscription only pay wall

big pass
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
chazzed
The U.S. is still seeing 27,000 new COVID-19 cases and 700 COVID-19 deaths per day.

Anyway, janky, might I suggest Florida for your much-needed R&R?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.