hanky1 was right again...COVID was no big deal

35,617 Views | 393 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by okaydo
AunBear89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
chazzed said:

The U.S. is still seeing 27,000 new COVID-19 cases and 700 COVID-19 deaths per day.

Anyway, janky, might I suggest Florida for your much-needed R&R?

Or Oklahoma. Or Arizona.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Yogi3
chazzed said:

The U.S. is still seeing 27,000 new COVID-19 cases and 700 COVID-19 deaths per day.

I'd have zero problem going to Florida right now with a disease that has a 95% survival rate and knowing that masks, hand washing, and social distancing keep me safe.

But then, I'm not politicizing this like liberals and conservatives are.
smh
Lucas Lee said:

chazzed said:

I'd have zero problem going to Florida right now with a disease that has a 95% survival rate and knowing that masks, hand washing, and social distancing keep me safe.

fun with numbers, flipped: 5% fatalities jacked thru america gifts a headcount reduction of very roughly 15 or 20 million tops. a show of thumbs, up or down.. we all good with that?
# let freedom fling

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Yogi3
smh said:

Lucas Lee said:

chazzed said:

fun with numbers, flipped: 5% fatalities jacked thru america gifts a headcount reduction of very roughly 15 or 20 million tops. a show of thumbs, up or down.. we all good with that?
# let freedom fling
20 million dead vs 40.8 million filng for unemployment.

Companies filing for bankruptcy.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/business/corporate-bankruptcy-coronavirus.html

1/3 of the country didn't pay rent
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/business/americans-rent-payment-trnd/index.html

Government allowed corporations to raid your taxpayer dollars.

And we could avoided all of this by weariing masks, social distancing, and washing hands before touching our face.

And you morons think that Trump's the only problem in this country.

So ****ing stupid.
LMK5
Close the bars and you've solved half the problem. Of course if you did that the public reaction would make the BLM riots look like a company barbeque.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
Yogi3
LMK5 said:

Close the bars and you've solved half the problem. Of course if you did that the public reaction would make the BLM riots look like a company barbeque.
You don't need to close anything.

Wear masks. Socially distance. Wash your hands before you touch your face.

We can do this. It's the people who won't wear masks at all that are the issue right now.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
LMK5 said:

Yes, once you involve the Irish, There Will Be Blood.
offshorebear
Mask usage has been estimated by our most optimistic studies to have decreased infections by somewhere in the 230,000-450,000 range in the US in the last 3 months. Based on IFR, we've prevented maybe 500-1000 deaths of our most sick and most elderly... or at least delayed them.
Bobodeluxe
Lucas Lee said:

LMK5 said:

You don't need to close anything.

Wear masks. Socially distance. Wash your hands before you touch your face.

We can do this. It's the people who won't wear masks at all that are the issue right now.
The masks that the public has been asked to wear only protect others from being infected by the wearer, so only fools would wear them. Who cares about the "others"?
okaydo
BearlyCareAnymore
offshorebear said:

Mask usage has been estimated by our most optimistic studies to have decreased infections by somewhere in the 230,000-450,000 range in the US in the last 3 months. Based on IFR, we've prevented maybe 500-1000 deaths of our most sick and most elderly... or at least delayed them.
Well, no death can be prevented. Only delayed. If they find a method that prevents death, let me know. I don't know how to make a horcrux and I can't find the Hallows.
LMK5
Remember Lee Iacocca? "Lead, follow, or get out of the way!" The SIP investment has been made and we've received whatever dividends we're going to get. If it makes you feel better to barricade yourself, it's a free country. Lots of lumber and nails available at Home Depot. Barricade away!

I recommend living, while doing it smartly. Stay out of the damn bars. Your liver will thank you. Stop sharing those joints. Start exercising, even if you've taken a 15-year hiatus.

Had a great day at Manhattan Beach on Saturday. Lots of people out and about. Pier was open! Restaurants open! Gelato on sale! Gorgeous weather. About 40% wearing masks at all times. No rioters or scumbags, just a few sad BLM rookies in front of the pier (asking for money, of course).

They can take a whole lot from you, but the ocean, blue sky, a day with the family, and 80MPH on the 405 is just about all I need.
offshorebear
OaktownBear said:

offshorebear said:

Well, no death can be prevented. Only delayed. If they find a method that prevents death, let me know. I don't know how to make a horcrux and I can't find the Hallows.

Incredibly stupid point.
Unit2Sucks
LMK5 said:

Remember Lee Iacocca? "Lead, follow, or get out of the way!" The SIP investment has been made and we've received whatever dividends we're going to get. If it makes you feel better to barricade yourself, it's a free country. Lots of lumber and nails available at Home Depot. Barricade away!

I recommend living, while doing it smartly.
Stay out of the damn bars. Your liver will thank you. Stop sharing those joints. Start exercising, even if you've taken a 15-year hiatus.

Had a great day at Manhattan Beach on Saturday. Lots of people out and about. Pier was open! Restaurants open! Gelato on sale! Gorgeous weather. About 40% wearing masks at all times. No rioters or scumbags, just a few sad BLM rookies in front of the pier (asking for money, of course).

They can take a whole lot from you, but the ocean, blue sky, a day with the family, and 80MPH on the 405 is just about all I need.
The first bolded comment above is true but a bit of a tautology. The SIP is only impactful when and to the extent that it is in force. There are very few limitations currently and even fewer that people comply with. The results of SIP vary widely based on implementation and compliance. I'm fortunate to live in a county where SIP has been quite effective and we are close to meeting the 25 cases per 100k pop over 14 days guideline - which very few large counties have done in CA. It would appear that SIP paid significant dividends. On the other hand I'm visiting family in Southern California and the outbreak is still at least 5x as bad.

I also agree with the second and third bolded points. There are plenty of opportunities to enjoy yourself safely in California. And given that it appears we are in this for the long haul, it's something that people should be doing. Everyone has to make their own decisions about what's safe.

I have younger family members in SoCal who are invincible and will continue to go to bars and take risks that public health experts and LMK5 would suggest they don't take. My wife and I (+kids) will continue to social distance and avoid indoor public settings until the virus is much less prevalent than it is today. If things continue to get better where I live, we may be able to dine in again as early as August but we aren't in a rush.
LMK5
Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Stay out of the damn bars. Your liver will thank you. Stop sharing those joints. Start exercising, even if you've taken a 15-year hiatus.

The first bolded comment above is true but a bit of a tautology. The SIP is only impactful when and to the extent that it is in force. There are very few limitations currently and even fewer that people comply with. The results of SIP vary widely based on implementation and compliance. I'm fortunate to live in a county where SIP has been quite effective and we are close to meeting the 25 cases per 100k pop over 14 days guideline - which very few large counties have done in CA. It would appear that SIP paid significant dividends. On the other hand I'm visiting family in Southern California and the outbreak is still at least 5x as bad.

I also agree with the second and third bolded points. There are plenty of opportunities to enjoy yourself safely in California. And given that it appears we are in this for the long haul, it's something that people should be doing. Everyone has to make their own decisions about what's safe.

I have younger family members in SoCal who are invincible and will continue to go to bars and take risks that public health experts and LMK5 would suggest they don't take. My wife and I (+kids) will continue to social distance and avoid indoor public settings until the virus is much less prevalent than it is today. If things continue to get better where I live, we may be able to dine in again as early as August but we aren't in a rush.

If things are as good in Northern California as you say they are, then I'm assuming they will have no excuse for not playing Cal football.
okaydo

Unit2Sucks
LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

If things are as good in Northern California as you say they are, then I'm assuming they will have no excuse for not playing Cal football.
Your logic is impeccable as always.
bearister
"Remember Lee Iacocca?"
He was complicit in corporate murder. When he was Chairman of the Board of Directors of Ford Motor Company he presided over the meeting where the decision was made to pay off the personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits arising from the exploding Pinto gas tank rather than spend $10+ per unit to fix the problem because it was cheaper. A copy of the minutes turned up in discovery in a lawsuit involving a young man burned in a Pinto exploding gas tank accident. He got over $20 million in punitive damages.
Before he died someone should have asked Iacocca the same question Richard Boone asked Paul Newman in Hombre:

"I wonder what Hell is going to look like?"

okaydo

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/05/coronavirus-crisis-ron-desantis-florida-covid-19-strategy/

LMK5
bearister said:

"Remember Lee Iacocca?"
He was complicit in corporate murder. When he was Chairman of the Board of Directors of Ford Motor Company he presided over the meeting where the decision was made to pay off the personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits arising from the exploding Pinto gas tank rather than spend $10+ per unit to fix the problem because it was cheaper. A copy of the minutes turned up in discovery in a lawsuit involving a young man burned in a Pinto exploding gas tank accident. He got over $20 million in punitive damages.
Before he died someone should have asked Iacocca the same question Richard Boone asked Paul Newman in Hombre:

"I wonder what Hell is going to look like?"

Possibly downtown CHOP?
Cal88
chazzed said:

This is what I'm seeing:

Cal88
Lucas Lee said:

dajo9 said:

Over 1 out of 1,000 residents of New York and New Jersey are dead from Covid-19.
For those who are mathematically inclined, that number expressed as a percentage is over 0.1%. And that's WITH liberal object of love Mario Cuomo making the conscience decision to send thousands of nursing home patients to their deaths by forcing them to be housed with patients infected with coronavirus.

And we shut down the entire country for it and ruined the personal economies of far more than 1 in 1000 working class citizens.

Somewhere around one third of small businesses got shot down, lifetimes of savings wiped out. For the 200-300 out of the 1000 middle class people whose jobs and livelihoods were wiped out, the rates of heart disease, depression, suicide, homelessness are going to skyrocket.

It doesn't take a professional actuary to realize that the magnitude of the self-imposed economic impact will be far greater than the short-term health impact.
LMK5
Cal88 said:

chazzed said:

This is what I'm seeing:

That's what I'm seeling also but the number of new cases has been rising. If, in 3 weeks, the death totals remain level then can we assume the virus is far less lethal than it was 2-3 months ago?
dimitrig
Cal88 said:

Lucas Lee said:

dajo9 said:

Over 1 out of 1,000 residents of New York and New Jersey are dead from Covid-19.
For those who are mathematically inclined, that number expressed as a percentage is over 0.1%. And that's WITH liberal object of love Mario Cuomo making the conscience decision to send thousands of nursing home patients to their deaths by forcing them to be housed with patients infected with coronavirus.

And we shut down the entire country for it and ruined the personal economies of far more than 1 in 1000 working class citizens.

Somewhere around one third of small businesses got shot down, lifetimes of savings wiped out. For the 200-300 out of the 1000 middle class people whose jobs and livelihoods were wiped out, the rates of heart disease, depression, suicide, homelessness are going to skyrocket.

It doesn't take a professional actuary to realize that the magnitude of the self-imposed economic impact will be far greater than the short-term health impact.

1 in 1000 died but that doesn't mean the other 999 made a full recovery. They may have lingering health issues, possibly for a lifetime. It may contribute to making them a casualty of the NEXT flu.

Also, 1 in 1000 died and that is WITH the shutdown! Without it what do you think that number might have been? Certainly not better.

The economy will come back. Dead people don't.

bearister
" The economy will come back. Dead people don't."

bearister
The coronavirus damage that will last for years - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-damage-education-economy-6120f95a-46a9-46af-89df-81d4af20c0d6.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
going4roses
Just great
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
BearsWiin
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Lucas Lee said:

dajo9 said:

1 in 1000 died but that doesn't mean the other 999 made a full recovery. They may have lingering health issues, possibly for a lifetime. It may contribute to making them a casualty of the NEXT flu.

Also, 1 in 1000 died and that is WITH the shutdown! Without it what do you think that number might have been? Certainly not better.

If only the richest country in the world had some way to help those affected by the economic consequences of a once-in-a-century global pandemic
bearister
BearsWiin
bearister said:

that number is a bit misleading because the 6/23 total is likely a catch-up for cases from previous days. Every other counter I've seen has the same(or higher) total case number but a much lower number for 6/23. The ca.gov site even says that the numbers may not reflect the day's true case number because of case lag.
Yogi3
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Lucas Lee said:

dajo9 said:

https://bearinsider.com/forums/6/topics/95997/replies/1765332
Unit2Sucks
okaydo said:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/05/coronavirus-crisis-ron-desantis-florida-covid-19-strategy/

Where does Ron DeSantis go to apologize to everyone who people asked to apologize to him?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-florida/florida-reports-over-15000-covid-19-cases-in-single-day-record-idUSKCN24D0I5

Florida had more people test positive yesterday alone than South Korea (2.5x as many people) has had test positive since day one.

I'm hoping someone can save Florida from Trump and DeSantis.
BearNIt
Unit2Sucks said:

okaydo said:

Where does Ron DeSantis go to apologize to everyone who people asked to apologize to him?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-florida/florida-reports-over-15000-covid-19-cases-in-single-day-record-idUSKCN24D0I5

Florida had more people test positive yesterday alone than South Korea (2.5x as many people) has had test positive since day one.

We are reaching the point of no return where closing down will be the only way to stop the spread of COVID from overwhelming Florida's healthcare system and once that happens doctors will have to play God and decide who gets treatment, who gets the ventilator, who gets the bed. and who gets the medication. That is where we are headed if we don't make a course correction now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/07/coronavirus-strains-florida-health-system-as-some-hospitals-run-out-of-icu-beds-in-largest-counties.html

This was accurate 5 days ago and Florida is setting records for new COVID cases most if not all the days since then. How many more people since the article have been admitted to Florida ICUs for COVID? How many Floridians have been admitted to ICUs for non-COVID health issues? There is a finite amount of resources that a healthcare system has and that also includes staff that is trained in the care of ICU and PACU patients. It takes time to train staff including doctors to deal with patient's needing this level of care.
BearChemist
BearNIt said:

Unit2Sucks said:

okaydo said:

We are reaching the point of no return where closing down will be the only way to stop the spread of COVID from overwhelming Florida's healthcare system and once that happens doctors will have to play God and decide who gets treatment, who gets the ventilator, who gets the bed. and who gets the medication. That is where we are headed if we don't make a course correction now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/07/coronavirus-strains-florida-health-system-as-some-hospitals-run-out-of-icu-beds-in-largest-counties.html

This was accurate 5 days ago and Florida is setting records for new COVID cases most if not all the days since then. How many more people since the article have been admitted to Florida ICUs for COVID? How many Floridians have been admitted to ICUs for non-COVID health issues? There is a finite amount of resources that a healthcare system has and that also includes staff that is trained in the care of ICU and PACU patients. It takes time to train staff including doctors to deal with patient's needing this level of care.

Hello BearNIt, would like to ask your opinion on Remdesivir, which seems to provide moderate to decent effects in treating Covid-19 patients. Is this drug currently being used in the frontline? How is the production/supply coming along?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.