hanky1 was right again...COVID was no big deal

35,634 Views | 393 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by okaydo
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

It turns out that all the protests did not make one immune to COVID as has been reported by many liberal media outlets.

oops

No one said protests made you immune, just that they didn't seem to be big disease spreader events. Is there any new evidence to the contrary?
I don't understand this. So, is it OK to shout and scream right next to each other during this pandemic? If not, then what is the explanation, if one is so sure that thousands standing shoulder to shoulder, some wearing masks other not. Do the protesters carry some miracle trick that can scale to the rest of the world?
Are you saying you don't understand how it's possible that the protests didn't become superspreader events? Or why it is that people are defending the protests? I'm literally asking you what you are trying to say. I think you recognize that the virus is indifferent to political motivations.

I don't have a perfect answer but I can say that it's entirely possible that two things are true at the same time: protesting in public is/was a bad idea and that the spread of COVID as a result of these protests is lost in the noise of other community spread. I wouldn't recommend anyone gather in groups, indoors or outdoors, without masks, but it certainly seems that the risk of transmission outdoors is much lower - particularly in the summer where the virus can't survive as long in the heat. Given what we know from spring break in Florida, the lake of the ozarks party and other events, it does seem like the risk of outdoor transmission in these types of environments is lower probability than we had suspected in the Spring.

I also think we've established that people in this country don't like personal sacrifice, particularly when the results of that sacrifice are somewhat intangible. I would love for our government to sponsor research so that we could actually figure out which personal sacrifices are essential to prevent the spread and which aren't. For example, if it turns out that outdoor spread is rare and that fomites aren't a meaningful transmission vector we could greatly reduce the amount of work we are doing to prevent the spread. Every protective measure we take puts a mental toll on people so we should do our best to make sure that what we are doing is actually effective. Hopefully at some point we will actually know what we need to do to protect ourselves and won't have to keep doing things that don't protect us.
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

It turns out that all the protests did not make one immune to COVID as has been reported by many liberal media outlets.

oops

No one said protests made you immune, just that they didn't seem to be big disease spreader events. Is there any new evidence to the contrary?
I don't understand this. So, is it OK to shout and scream right next to each other during this pandemic? If not, then what is the explanation, if one is so sure that thousands standing shoulder to shoulder, some wearing masks other not. Do the protesters carry some miracle trick that can scale to the rest of the world?
Are you saying you don't understand how it's possible that the protests didn't become superspreader events? Or why it is that people are defending the protests? I'm literally asking you what you are trying to say. I think you recognize that the virus is indifferent to political motivations.

I don't have a perfect answer but I can say that it's entirely possible that two things are true at the same time: protesting in public is/was a bad idea and that the spread of COVID as a result of these protests is lost in the noise of other community spread. I wouldn't recommend anyone gather in groups, indoors or outdoors, without masks, but it certainly seems that the risk of transmission outdoors is much lower - particularly in the summer where the virus can't survive as long in the heat. Given what we know from spring break in Florida, the lake of the ozarks party and other events, it does seem like the risk of outdoor transmission in these types of environments is lower probability than we had suspected in the Spring.

I also think we've established that people in this country don't like personal sacrifice, particularly when the results of that sacrifice are somewhat intangible. I would love for our government to sponsor research so that we could actually figure out which personal sacrifices are essential to prevent the spread and which aren't. For example, if it turns out that outdoor spread is rare and that fomites aren't a meaningful transmission vector we could greatly reduce the amount of work we are doing to prevent the spread. Every protective measure we take puts a mental toll on people so we should do our best to make sure that what we are doing is actually effective. Hopefully at some point we will actually know what we need to do to protect ourselves and won't have to keep doing things that don't protect us.

I am literally asking why people are convinced that thousands of people standing shoulder to shoulder and screaming did not act as a spreader event. I am totally in favor of right of assembly, and I think people being fed up with police brutality and police misbehavior are excellent reasons to protest peacefully. There are a lot of things that I would support in normal times (such as allowing people to work, allowing kids to go to school, not destroying jobs) that we chose not to do during the pandemic because it was so important to keep the infection rate down. So, why are we saying that thousands of people protesting shoulder to shoulder for days across all of America did not turn out to be a spreader event? What was different? If people were to say that, yes, it was a spreader event and I don't care that I may end up killing thousands of people, this protest is just that important to me, then fine. But don't play us for idiots like the health professionals did with masks telling us clearly idiotic things like "masks won't help you if you are not sick, so save it for health professionals who need it to be safe.". Unless all healthcare professionals were sick, that made no sense. All they needed to say was, just stay home until we have enough masks because we have to prioritize getting the masks to people who don't have the option of staying home. Telling us that protesting was OK and not a superspreader event but getting a haircut is makes all of us less intelligent and less willing to listen to even sound advice.
dimitrig
calbear93 said:

I am literally asking why people are convinced that thousands of people standing shoulder to shoulder and screaming did not act as a spreader event.

Most of them wore masks.

calbear93
dimitrig said:

calbear93 said:

I am literally asking why people are convinced that thousands of people standing shoulder to shoulder and screaming did not act as a spreader event.

Most of them wore masks.

Yeah, I saw plenty that did not. So, if most people wear masks, we can have thousands of people for a concert and it won't be a spreader event? We can have football stadium full with screaming fans as long as most of them wear masks? Is that the secret? Hope most of them wear masks?
dimitrig
calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

calbear93 said:

Most of them wore masks.

Yeah, I saw plenty that did not. So, if most people wear masks, we can have thousands of people for a concert and it won't be a spreader event? We can have football stadium full with screaming fans as long as most of them wear masks? Is that the secret? Hope most of them wear masks?

Apparently so and the science supports that.

So to RWNJs I say to just wear masks and we can get back to normalcy more quickly!

Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

I am literally asking why people are convinced that thousands of people standing shoulder to shoulder and screaming did not act as a spreader event. I am totally in favor of right of assembly, and I think people being fed up with police brutality and police misbehavior are excellent reasons to protest peacefully. There are a lot of things that I would support in normal times (such as allowing people to work, allowing kids to go to school, not destroying jobs) that we chose not to do during the pandemic because it was so important to keep the infection rate down. So, why are we saying that thousands of people protesting shoulder to shoulder for days across all of America did not turn out to be a spreader event? What was different? If people were to say that, yes, it was a spreader event and I don't care that I may end up killing thousands of people, this protest is just that important to me, then fine. But don't play us for idiots like the health professionals did with masks telling us clearly idiotic things like "masks won't help you if you are not sick, so save it for health professionals who need it to be safe.". Unless all healthcare professionals were sick, that made no sense. All they needed to say was, just stay home until we have enough masks because we have to prioritizing getting the masks to people who don't have the option of staying home. Telling us that protesting was OK and not a superspreader event but getting a haircut is makes all of us less intelligent and less willing to listen to even sound advice.
I don't know if people are "convinced" but, as Sycasey has mentioned previously, no one has substantiated a connection between the protests and massive COVID spread. That could be because it's just noise compared to the massive COVID spread we are seeing or it could be because they didn't turn out to be superspreader events. Superspreader events have to be quite large to move the needle these days now that we are seeing 70k+ positive cases per day. Perhaps it's the fact that the impact of the protests was overshadowed by millions of people eating at restaurants and drinking at bars.

Like I said above, it would be great if someone could tell us exactly how this things spreads. You and I can't figure that out on our own and unfortunately the federal government doesn't seem that interesting in finding out why.

You seem to be focused on applying a political lens to what should be observable facts. I understand why you would be frustrated by public health experts justifying public protests when there was a substantial risk they would lead to meaningful spread. I don't know that any of that is relevant to the question of whether *the protests actually caused spread.* At this point, as I think I've made abundantly clear, I'm far more interested in the latter.
calbear93
dimitrig said:

calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

calbear93 said:

Most of them wore masks.

Apparently so and the science supports that.

So to RWNJs I say to just wear masks and we can get back to normalcy more quickly!

OK, then screw sheltering in place, screw putting limits on how many people can be in a restaurant, screw putting any limitations. Hope that people wear masks for the most part (and apparently 90% of the people wearing a scarf over their mouth or some flimsy mask that they hang by their ears but not actually covering their mouth when they are shouting is enough). Wow, that's great. No wonder people are getting pissed off about overly burdensome shut downs that go beyond that.

By the way, most people who were crowding the beaches and not wearing masks surely did not seem like RWNJs. Some looked like woke LWNJs.
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

I am literally asking why people are convinced that thousands of people standing shoulder to shoulder and screaming did not act as a spreader event. I am totally in favor of right of assembly, and I think people being fed up with police brutality and police misbehavior are excellent reasons to protest peacefully. There are a lot of things that I would support in normal times (such as allowing people to work, allowing kids to go to school, not destroying jobs) that we chose not to do during the pandemic because it was so important to keep the infection rate down. So, why are we saying that thousands of people protesting shoulder to shoulder for days across all of America did not turn out to be a spreader event? What was different? If people were to say that, yes, it was a spreader event and I don't care that I may end up killing thousands of people, this protest is just that important to me, then fine. But don't play us for idiots like the health professionals did with masks telling us clearly idiotic things like "masks won't help you if you are not sick, so save it for health professionals who need it to be safe.". Unless all healthcare professionals were sick, that made no sense. All they needed to say was, just stay home until we have enough masks because we have to prioritizing getting the masks to people who don't have the option of staying home. Telling us that protesting was OK and not a superspreader event but getting a haircut is makes all of us less intelligent and less willing to listen to even sound advice.
I don't know if people are "convinced" but, as Sycasey has mentioned previously, no one has substantiated a connection between the protests and massive COVID spread. That could be because it's just noise compared to the massive COVID spread we are seeing or it could be because they didn't turn out to be superspreader events. Superspreader events have to be quite large to move the needle these days now that we are seeing 70k+ positive cases per day. Perhaps it's the fact that the impact of the protests was overshadowed by millions of people eating at restaurants and drinking at bars.

Like I said above, it would be great if someone could tell us exactly how this things spreads. You and I can't figure that out on our own and unfortunately the federal government doesn't seem that interesting in finding out why.

You seem to be focused on applying a political lens to what should be observable facts. I understand why you would be frustrated by public health experts justifying public protests when there was a substantial risk they would lead to meaningful spread. I don't know that any of that is relevant to the question of whether *the protests actually caused spread.* At this point, as I think I've made abundantly clear, I'm far more interested in the latter.
I am not applying a political lens. I am saying be credible if you want people to take advice with extreme consequences. Saying providing a haircut is a no-no to workers who need to make a living but saying thousands of people packed shoulder to shoulder and shouting, with some not even covering up while shouting is OK creates this situation where people become convinced that something so basic like wearing a mask is a hoax. We can blame Trump all we want because he deserves it, but you will be missing 90% of the other idiots who created this situation where we don't seem to be able to get a handle on something that other countries have been able to handle.

I want people to wear a mask and I want the economy to pick up again and less people to have food insecurity. But if we think these nut jobs who won't wear a mask just popped up out of nowhere and the experts who say stupid **** like protests are OK and masks don't help had nothing to do with this, then we are just burying our heads in the sand and keep wondering why we suck at this.
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

I am not putting a political lens. I am saying be credible if you want people to take advice with extreme consequences. Saying providing a haircut is a no-no to workers who need to make a living but saying thousands of people packed shoulder to shoulder and shouting, with some not even covering up while shouting is OK creates this situation where people become convinced that something so basic like wearing a mask is a hoax. We can blame Trump all we want because he deserves it, but you will be missing 90% of the other idiots who created this situation where we don't seem to be able to get a handle on something that other countries have been able to handle.

I want people to wear a mask and I want the economy to pick up again and less people to have food insecurity. But if you think these nut jobs who won't wear a mask just popped up out of nowhere and the experts who say stupid **** like protests are OK and masks don't help had nothing to do with this is burying our head in the sand.
Look, I'm not going to disagree that we don't yet know enough. But it is what it is. For all we know the safest way to get a haircut is to do it outdoors in the middle of a BLM protest. Facts are stubborn things and it's entirely possible that outdoor protests do less damage than indoor haircuts.

As much as you and I want things to be better, they just aren't.

At this point I'm going to post my favorite video from the Wire (and in truth, the only one I've ever seen lol) because it does a better job communicating current state of affairs than I ever could.

calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

I am not putting a political lens. I am saying be credible if you want people to take advice with extreme consequences. Saying providing a haircut is a no-no to workers who need to make a living but saying thousands of people packed shoulder to shoulder and shouting, with some not even covering up while shouting is OK creates this situation where people become convinced that something so basic like wearing a mask is a hoax. We can blame Trump all we want because he deserves it, but you will be missing 90% of the other idiots who created this situation where we don't seem to be able to get a handle on something that other countries have been able to handle.

I want people to wear a mask and I want the economy to pick up again and less people to have food insecurity. But if you think these nut jobs who won't wear a mask just popped up out of nowhere and the experts who say stupid **** like protests are OK and masks don't help had nothing to do with this is burying our head in the sand.
Look, I'm not going to disagree that we don't yet know enough. But it is what it is. For all we know the safest way to get a haircut is to do it outdoors in the middle of a BLM protest. Facts are stubborn things and it's entirely possible that outdoor protests do less damage than indoor haircuts.

At this point I'm going to post my favorite video from the Wire (and in truth, the only one I've ever seen lol) because it does a better job communicating current state of affairs than I ever could.

If that is the only video of Wire you have seen, shut down your computer and turn on HBO Max. Where are your priorities?
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

If that is the only video of Wire you have seen, shut down your computer and turn on HBO Max. Where are your priorities?
My priorities right now are working on my 6 year old's horse stance. Making some good progress on joint locks (figure 4 is a favorite), fighting stance and hip activation for the power punch. I really wish I could get back to UCMAP and start training again.
Bear70
dimitrig said:

calbear93 said:

Most of them wore masks.

LMAO!!!!
Ok.
I can assure having spent a lot of time around the protests, most of them did not.
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

My priorities right now are working on my 6 year old's horse stance. Making some good progress on joint locks (figure 4 is a favorite), fighting stance and hip activation for the power punch. I really wish I could get back to UCMAP and start training again.
OK, I guess watching the Wire can wait. But it should come before other forms of entertainment like arguing back and forth with argumentative fools like me. Just saying it is right up there even above Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

Precisely. I am not convinced that protests didn't contribute to COVID spread, but neither am I convinced they did. The evidence just isn't there. Conservatives here, however, seem very convinced that they did, even though when asked for evidence to support the claim they tend to clam up.

I am willing to be swayed either way. But it needs to be evidence, not emotional appeals. And by the way, I said my comments about protests also applied to the anti-lockdown protests that Trump encouraged. I'm not sure those contributed to any COVID spread either. Though in my anecdotal experience, mask-wearing seemed much more common at the Floyd/BLM protests, which I'd expect would help a lot.
okaydo
sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

Precisely. I am not convinced that protests didn't contribute to COVID spread, but neither am I convinced they did. The evidence just isn't there. Conservatives here, however, seem very convinced that they did, even though when asked for evidence to support the claim they tend to clam up.

I am willing to be swayed either way. But it needs to be evidence, not emotional appeals. And by the way, I said my comments about protests also applied to the anti-lockdown protests that Trump encouraged. I'm not sure those contributed to any COVID spread either. Though in my anecdotal experience, mask-wearing seemed much more common at the Floyd/BLM protests, which I'd expect would help a lot.

A lot of protesters wore masks and protesters are being blamed because otherwise you'd have to blame the Republican governors, and why would they want to do that?
calbear93
okaydo said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

A lot of protesters wore masks and protesters are being blamed because otherwise you'd have to blame the Republican governors, and why would they want to do that?

You guys have a hard time maintaining a train of thought without resorting to strawman argument thinking you won an argument that no one actually made.

Here you go:

After six months of learning about this virus and after over four months of shutting down commerce, we cannot say that maybe 90% of the thousands of people wearing scarfs, half worn masks standing side by side shouting is a spreader event. In fact, as Sycasey noted, even morons protesting mask wearing without wearing masks was not a spreader event.

But despite that lack of knowledge or evidence, we know enough to shut down small businesses and other commerce like barber shops (even if people were mostly wearing masks), outdoor concerts (even if people can mostly wear masks), sporting events, bars and restaurants.

And we wonder why people are confused and some even distrust these experts.

I will wear a mask, but the fact that you don't understand the stupidity of saying all of these protests (both on the right and the left) did not spread the virus and that there is no evidence that these type of close encounters over days and weeks involving thousands and thousands of people all over America where most people but not all wore masks was a spreader event but we still need to shut down schools and other businesses with this type of evidence just because of "science".

These type of arguments that you and others are making are why idiots are not wearing masks. It is inherently stupid to say people can protest because we don't have sufficient evidence it will spread in those type of close and extended encounters where many but not all are wearing masks but commerce, education and entertainment should be shut down based on the same evidence.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

You guys have a hard time maintaining a train of thought without resorting to strawman argument thinking you won an argument that no one actually made.

Here you go:

After six months and after over four months of shut down, we cannot say that maybe 90% of the thousands of people wearing scarfs, half worn masks standing side by side shouting is not clearly a spreader event. In fact, as Sycasey noted, even morons protesting mask wearing without wearing masks did not result in a spreader event.

But despite that lack of knowledge or evidence, we know enough to shut down small businesse and other commerce like barber shops (even if people were mostly wearing masks), bars and restaurants.

I will wear a mask, but the fact that you don't understand the stupidity of saying all of these protests (both on the right and the left) did not spread and there is no evidence that these type of close encounters where most people wore masks did not spread the virus but we need to shut down schools and other businesses with this type of evidence just because of "science".

These type of arguments that you and others are making are why idiots are not wearing masks. It is inherently stupid to say people can protest because we don't have sufficient evidence but commerce should be shut down based on the same evidence.
I will also say this: I think there is some evidence that barbershops and salons are also not high-risk for COVID, so long as they are appointment-only (one person at a time) and everyone wears a mask. IMO the state should take a hard look at these kinds of businesses and perhaps allow them to stay open under certain restrictions.

https://www.livescience.com/hair-stylists-infected-covid19-face-masks.html

I think there IS evidence that schools can spread the disease unless there are very tight restrictions so I fully understand the delays in reopening there.
okaydo
calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

Here you go:

After six months of learning about this virus and after over four months of shutting down commerce, we cannot say that maybe 90% of the thousands of people wearing scarfs, half worn masks standing side by side shouting is a spreader event. In fact, as Sycasey noted, even morons protesting mask wearing without wearing masks was not a spreader event.

But despite that lack of knowledge or evidence, we know enough to shut down small businesses and other commerce like barber shops (even if people were mostly wearing masks), outdoor concerts (even if people can mostly wear masks), sporting events, bars and restaurants.

I will wear a mask, but the fact that you don't understand the stupidity of saying all of these protests (both on the right and the left) did not spread and there is no evidence that these type of close encounters where most people but not all wore masks did not spread the virus but we need to shut down schools and other businesses with this type of evidence just because of "science".

These type of arguments that you and others are making are why idiots are not wearing masks. It is inherently stupid to say people can protest because we don't have sufficient evidence it will spread in those type of close and extended encounters where many but not all are wearing masks but commerce, education and entertainment should be shut down based on the same evidence.

People are confused because Trump -- who, by the way, encouraged protesting during the pandemic -- has been downplaying and undermining the experts.

When you don't speak with one voice, you speak with none.
calbear93
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

Here you go:

After six months and after over four months of shut down, we cannot say that maybe 90% of the thousands of people wearing scarfs, half worn masks standing side by side shouting is not clearly a spreader event. In fact, as Sycasey noted, even morons protesting mask wearing without wearing masks did not result in a spreader event.

But despite that lack of knowledge or evidence, we know enough to shut down small businesse and other commerce like barber shops (even if people were mostly wearing masks), bars and restaurants.

I will wear a mask, but the fact that you don't understand the stupidity of saying all of these protests (both on the right and the left) did not spread and there is no evidence that these type of close encounters where most people wore masks did not spread the virus but we need to shut down schools and other businesses with this type of evidence just because of "science".

These type of arguments that you and others are making are why idiots are not wearing masks. It is inherently stupid to say people can protest because we don't have sufficient evidence but commerce should be shut down based on the same evidence.
I will also say this: I think there is some evidence that barbershops and salons are also not high-risk for COVID, so long as they are appointment-only (one person at a time) and the stylist wears a mask. IMO the state should take a hard look at these kinds of businesses and perhaps allow them to stay open under certain restrictions.

I think there IS evidence that schools can spread the disease unless there are very tight restrictions so I fully understand the delays in reopening there.

If thousands of people can stand shoulder to shoulder over days and not spread, why do you think there has to be a restriction on barber shops? Not saying there shouldn't be, but want to understand why you are qualifying this despite what you admit is a lack of evidence that people standing next to each other in thousands spread the virus. COVID just doesn't care for BLM protests?
calbear93
okaydo said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

Here you go:

I will wear a mask, but the fact that you don't understand the stupidity of saying all of these protests (both on the right and the left) did not spread and there is no evidence that these type of close encounters where most people but not all wore masks did not spread the virus but we need to shut down schools and other businesses with this type of evidence just because of "science".

People are confused because Trump -- who, by the way, encouraged protesting during the pandemic -- has been downplaying and undermining the experts.

You mind has absolutely no discipline. If you have no logical response, you just shout Trump and think you made a point.
okaydo
calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

Here you go:

You mind has absolutely no discipline. If you have no logical response, you just shout Trump and think you made a point.

You're the one who illogically wrote "these type of arguments that you and others are making are why idiots are not wearing masks" when anti-mask hysteria has been going for 4 months now.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

Here you go:

I will also say this: I think there is some evidence that barbershops and salons are also not high-risk for COVID, so long as they are appointment-only (one person at a time) and the stylist wears a mask. IMO the state should take a hard look at these kinds of businesses and perhaps allow them to stay open under certain restrictions.

If thousands of people can stand shoulder to shoulder over days and not spread, why do you think there has to be a restriction on barber shops? Not saying there shouldn't be, but want to understand why you are qualifying this despite what you admit is a lack of evidence that people standing next to each other in thousands spread the virus. COVID just doesn't care for BLM protests?
It's much easier to regulate businesses into following guidelines than a bunch of random people in the street.

However, if it were easy to regulate such spontaneous gatherings, yes, I would want everyone there to wear a mask and stay 6 feet apart too.

I think if the protests were not large spreader events it was mostly due to their being outside. So based on that I might also support barbershops and salons being allowed to move their operations outdoors as well.
calbear93
okaydo said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

Here you go:

You're the one who illogically wrote "these type of arguments that you and others are making are why idiots are not wearing masks" when anti-mask hysteria has been going for 4 months now.

What the hell are you talking about? Anti-mask has not been going on for four months when medical experts for the first month or so told people wearing masks does not help. What hasn't changed? Don't wear a mask. No wear a mask. Don't touch anything because the spread is through contact and not through the air. No, it actually spreads through the air. Don't congregate in large crowds. No, actually, if you are going to congregate to protest, then it's OK. We don't have enough ICU beds. No, actually the ICU beds we asked to be set up was never used. We are in short supply of ventilators. No, actually we are sending them back because we don't need them. We are shutting down because we need to flatten the curve and spread the infection over a longer period of time. No, we are shutting down despite the flattening of the curve because we need the infection rate to be ummmmm how about zero?
calbear93
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

Here you go:

It's much easier to regulate businesses into following guidelines than a bunch of random people in the street.

However, if it were easy to regulate such spontaneous gatherings, yes, I would want everyone there to wear a mask and stay 6 feet apart too.

I think if the protests were not large spreader events it was mostly due to their being outside. So based on that I might also support barbershops and salons being allowed to move their operations outdoors as well.

Your first sentence was an honest response. Say, protest are a bad idea in a pandemic and will jeopardize other lives, but we cannot control what irresponsible people will do in the middle of a pandemic. Saying protests are acceptable risks and not a spreader event after yelling - don't go to funerals or burials because you will kill your grandma - is shattering credibility.
hanky1
okaydo said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

Here you go:

People are confused because the experts like Fauci and the Surgeon General lied to them and said masks were not needed a couple months ago, but in fact, they were just protecting the supply for medical workers. Trump did not undermine them. They undermined themselves.
hanky1
hanky1 said:

Dear Team Apocalypse,

Where is your God now?

I wanted to bump this post for now reason whatsoever.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

Here you go:

Your first sentence was an honest response. Say, protest are a bad idea in a pandemic and will jeopardize other lives, but we cannot control what irresponsible people will do in the middle of a pandemic. Saying protests are acceptable risks and not a spreader event after yelling - don't go to funerals or burials because you will kill your grandma - is shattering credibility.
That is also the response I gave at the time when people asked why the government was not cracking down on protesters like they had on other large gatherings. I said it was simply not practical to do so.

That is separate from the question of whether or not the protests actually did spread COVID. I think if they didn't then we probably got lucky, because it was not totally clear at the time that such outdoor protests might actually be low-risk events. If it can be confirmed that virus transmission was low and not any higher than what you see from people just going to grocery stores or hanging out at the park, then that might actually be good news for everyone -- restrictions can be lifted on other outdoor events as well.
okaydo
hanky1 said:

hanky1 said:

Dear Team Apocalypse,

Where is your God now?

I wanted to bump this post for now reason whatsoever.

Fauci could be the most trustworthy person in the Trump administration, yet of course you should be wary of him because he works for Trump. If he shows the slightest hint of negativity, he's criticized for destroying the economy.

I mean, the White House doctor, a dude in the U.S. Navy, lied about Trump's height and weight.

Anyways, Fauci has made it clear he's not Nostradamus. It's hard to predict these things. And if he did predict that the pandemic was going to get worse on the day of the tweet, then he would've been ousted immediately.

okaydo
hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

oops

Here you go:

People are confused because the experts like Fauci and the Surgeon General lied to them and said masks were not needed a couple months ago, but in fact, they were just protecting the supply for medical workers. Trump did not undermine them. They undermined themselves.

They were following the WHO recommendation to not wear masks.

But imagine if they actually did say to the nation: Wear masks!!!

I've followed mask retailing from mid-March through mid-April.

Non-N95 masks were hard to get. Really hard.

Amazon was out of them throughout March. Ebay had a ton of them, but many if not all turned out to be from China, which meant either it would take a month to arrive or it was fake. Many Etsy stores were swamped and had long wait times. Many clothing stores converted to making masks, yet they took a long time to ship. This was in early in April when only a few cities like Los Angeles were requiring masks. Now imagine it being mandatory nationwide.

dajo9
Seems to me that of course the BLM protests increased the chance of Covid spread. Some media and politicians are going lightly on them because they don't want to appear to be against the protests. The American public isn't good at nuance.

We've started baseball practice in my town and are playing some scrimmages. Baseball lends itself well to social distancing but we are increasing the chance of spread as well.

We and our government are in a tough spot and people are going to make some choices regarding risks. Also, the government needs to do what it can to control what it can, which is largely the operation of businesses.

Dozens playing ball in a big field is a risk. Hundreds protesting in a street is a bigger risk. Millions going about their lives in restaurants, concerts, and shopping centers is an even bigger risk. I think people and most governments are trying to do the best they can.

Asking for proof that BLM protests caused spread does hurt one's credibility, imo. There is no magic shield for good causes or fun playing ball with the kids.
American Vermin
okaydo
New York City was particularly hard hit by BLM protests spreading coronavirus.
sycasey
dajo9 said:

Asking for proof that BLM protests caused spread does hurt one's credibility, imo. There is no magic shield for good causes or fun playing ball with the kids.

So you think my credibility is hurt here? I've been pretty consistent about wanting to follow the evidence and not being critical of people who want to partake in outdoor activities, because I don't think it's clear how easily COVID spreads outdoors.
hanky1
dajo9 said:

Seems to me that of course the BLM protests increased the chance of Covid spread. Some media and politicians are going lightly on them because they don't want to appear to be against the protests. The American public isn't good at nuance.

We've started baseball practice in my town and are playing some scrimmages. Baseball lends itself well to social distancing but we are increasing the chance of spread as well.

We and our government are in a tough spot and people are going to make some choices regarding risks. Also, the government needs to do what it can to control what it can, which is largely the operation of businesses.

Dozens playing ball in a big field is a risk. Hundreds protesting in a street is a bigger risk. Millions going about their lives in restaurants, concerts, and shopping centers is an even bigger risk. I think people and most governments are trying to do the best they can.

There were protesters against the lockdown before blm. People protesting their rights to make a living. You liberals all criticized them and called them idiots for endangering public safety. But the blm protest and riots were the safe protest.

Um ok.
Anarchistbear
There isn't any evidence because this is all anecdotal; It's not as though people were identified and tracked like they would be in a country with a public health infrastructure plus nobody would stand for it.

There have been an uptick of cases in police - both LA and Houston and LA public health officials have stated they thought demonstrations resulted in increased cases . The people that were arrested would also appear to be at higher risk but maybe, again, we are too incompetent to track them.

Of course it is axiomatic that the risk is greater but it is a function of viral load and time- keep moving and your risk may be less. Also,if we are doing an experiment ten thousand people in the streets is not the whole story as the protestors may have resulted in 10,000 people deciding to shelter and not go out, hence depriving the virus of prey.
hanky1
okaydo said:

New York City was particularly hard hit by BLM protests spreading coronavirus.

So was Los Angeles. And every other city in America

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.