Coronavirus and upcoming season

81,430 Views | 590 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LunchTime said:

Unit2Sucks said:

NY starting antibody testing is the best news I've heard this week. Robust and widescale antibody testing is one of the few exit paths from this pandemic so that people know if they are safe or not. This will be especially useful for healthcare workers and other people in essential industries.

Quote:

ensure the first cartridges used to perform the tests are sent to where they are most needed. They are targeting hospital emergency rooms, urgent-care clinics and doctors' offices

Where is the best place to do wide scale tests? NY where it's already completely out of control, or a state with low impact where the spread could be completely stopped?

What a conundrum.

Unless you turn off domestic travel, how can you completely stop the spread anywhere?
CalFan777
Didn't Hawaii do this?
CalFan777
Big C
LunchTime said:

OaktownBear said:

LunchTime said:

OaktownBear said:

CalFan777 said:

The NE is doing worse than the South right now.
The last two words being key.

The rate of increase of cases in red states is substantially higher right now than blue states while the rate of testing is higher in blue states. Blue states have more cases because they got hit first, but red states are catching up.
I dont actually see the data to back that up. Maybe because I am ignoring testing and confirmed cases?

Either way, TBH, I would separate the country into Far Western states, and the West+East. Only Washington and California have had a proactive "good" response. Florida seems lucky so far (probably because tourists dont mingle with the residents as much as we think so the spread is slowed by people leaving for home).

Its interesting though. I think the West is doing well largely because the economy of Washington and California is so geared towards remote work anyway (compared to the rest of the country), so the decision to shut down has a smaller economic footprint. My work had us WFH two weeks before the shelter in place, as an example. GDC was canceled around that time, with most companies pulling out in late February.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-coronavirus-isnt-just-a-blue-state-problem/

That might be the dumbest Nate Silver article I have ever seen.

The methodology is poor, from using confirmed cases, to comparing established rates to ramping from no testing to testing is terrible.

Want a simple baseline? Nate silver shows Texas at the top, going from 352 to 1396 (+300%). Awesome. He also uses New York the same week going from 20.8k to 30.3k (78%)

But if you index to similar times, NY went from 327 on March 12 to 5699 a week later (+1700%).

Sorry, but Texas starting larger scale testing CLEARLY doesnt indicate it is growing faster than NY. It shows there is absolutely no value in number of confirmed cases. We know New York doesnt have a 17x increase per week. That's silly. But Nate wants to show Texas data as evidence that the rate is growing faster there?

So, let's make the argument that Texas does have a faster increase in infection. For arguments sake. That VERY clearly is not reflected in mortality. Texas mortality is increasing at a massively lower rate than NY. So either Texas has a much better healthcare system, a massive delta % of healthy people, climate is a critical factor, etc, but also that Texas' mortality is declining against growth of infected meaning they also have better treatments that they aren't sharing?

Personally I dont think there is a significant delta in healthcare, healthy people, or climate (given Italian rates). I also dont buy that infection rate in Texas is higher but Mortality is lower and declining. It just doesnt pass the sanity check.

Look, when we can do massively wide scale real testing we can see what the rate of increase is through that. Until hospitals reach capacity causing the mortality rate to increase, the rate of spread, 17 days ago, can only be realistically calculated through deaths.

I usually trust 528s analysis, because they are usually pretty good, but this is poor data, terrible analysis and very transparently so.

Isn't much of Texas' lower mortality rate (compared to NY) simply explained by the fact that more of their cases are recent and they haven't had time to die yet?

I know you rail against the usefulness of counting confirmed cases -- and certainly the reliability of that statistic depends on the testing that is occurring -- but when an area is still early on the curve, what else is there? First you see the number of cases rise, trailed by the number of deaths (also a potentially flawed number, to a lesser extent), followed later by the number of recovered cases (possibly flawed for a number of reasons).

The fact that these three numbers correlate rather consistently as different areas move across the curve tends to indicate that the number of confirmed cases says something, even though it needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

If I am missing something here, by all means explain it.
oskidunker
Yall better get on the basketball bandwagon as football is likely not happening.

People will be salivating to watch Cal play Sacramento State Hornets. ( still in negotiations}

Cal_79
Where does Rudy imply it's no big deal? Seems to me he's just calling for perspective.

The CDC estimates that in the U.S. influenza has resulted in between 9 million to 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 to 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 to 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

Why don't people freak out over 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the USA every year from the flu?
Big C
Cal_79 said:

Where does Rudy imply it's no big deal? Seems to me he's just calling for perspective.

The CDC estimates that in the U.S. influenza has resulted in between 9 million to 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 to 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 to 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

Why don't people freak out over 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the USA every year from the flu?

This is the kind of question that people were reasonably asking 2-3 weeks ago.
LunchTime
Big C said:

LunchTime said:

OaktownBear said:

LunchTime said:

OaktownBear said:

CalFan777 said:

The NE is doing worse than the South right now.
The last two words being key.

The rate of increase of cases in red states is substantially higher right now than blue states while the rate of testing is higher in blue states. Blue states have more cases because they got hit first, but red states are catching up.
I dont actually see the data to back that up. Maybe because I am ignoring testing and confirmed cases?

Either way, TBH, I would separate the country into Far Western states, and the West+East. Only Washington and California have had a proactive "good" response. Florida seems lucky so far (probably because tourists dont mingle with the residents as much as we think so the spread is slowed by people leaving for home).

Its interesting though. I think the West is doing well largely because the economy of Washington and California is so geared towards remote work anyway (compared to the rest of the country), so the decision to shut down has a smaller economic footprint. My work had us WFH two weeks before the shelter in place, as an example. GDC was canceled around that time, with most companies pulling out in late February.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-coronavirus-isnt-just-a-blue-state-problem/

That might be the dumbest Nate Silver article I have ever seen.

The methodology is poor, from using confirmed cases, to comparing established rates to ramping from no testing to testing is terrible.

Want a simple baseline? Nate silver shows Texas at the top, going from 352 to 1396 (+300%). Awesome. He also uses New York the same week going from 20.8k to 30.3k (78%)

But if you index to similar times, NY went from 327 on March 12 to 5699 a week later (+1700%).

Sorry, but Texas starting larger scale testing CLEARLY doesnt indicate it is growing faster than NY. It shows there is absolutely no value in number of confirmed cases. We know New York doesnt have a 17x increase per week. That's silly. But Nate wants to show Texas data as evidence that the rate is growing faster there?

So, let's make the argument that Texas does have a faster increase in infection. For arguments sake. That VERY clearly is not reflected in mortality. Texas mortality is increasing at a massively lower rate than NY. So either Texas has a much better healthcare system, a massive delta % of healthy people, climate is a critical factor, etc, but also that Texas' mortality is declining against growth of infected meaning they also have better treatments that they aren't sharing?

Personally I dont think there is a significant delta in healthcare, healthy people, or climate (given Italian rates). I also dont buy that infection rate in Texas is higher but Mortality is lower and declining. It just doesnt pass the sanity check.

Look, when we can do massively wide scale real testing we can see what the rate of increase is through that. Until hospitals reach capacity causing the mortality rate to increase, the rate of spread, 17 days ago, can only be realistically calculated through deaths.

I usually trust 528s analysis, because they are usually pretty good, but this is poor data, terrible analysis and very transparently so.

Isn't much of Texas' lower mortality rate (compared to NY) simply explained by the fact that more of their cases are recent and they haven't had time to die yet?

I know you rail against the usefulness of counting confirmed cases -- and certainly the reliability of that statistic depends on the testing that is occurring -- but when an area is still early on the curve, what else is there? First you see the number of cases rise, trailed by the number of deaths (also a potentially flawed number, to a lesser extent), followed later by the number of recovered cases (possibly flawed for a number of reasons).

The fact that these three numbers correlate rather consistently as different areas move across the curve tends to indicate that the number of confirmed cases says something, even though it needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Quote:

Lets start with the baseline of math and science work. If we can agree on that we have a starting point. I am not interested in explaining to Trump how a cruise ship wont "double" our number of infected by doubling our confirmed cases.

That said, I am seriously not sure how to answer this, bit I will try: Just because Javid Best started his 40 yard dash after Tom Brady doesnt mean Tom was faster. There is a method for them to compare them by measuring from where they start, not where they are.

I have not said anything about number of people dead today. The numbers today are insignificant to what we will see in a week and two weeks. FWIW, As of yesterday, 26 in Texas and 605 in NY. That is COMPLETELY irrelevant. What is relevant is how quickly they are growing, doubling. In a week, 605 total in NY will be the good times. When 600 are dying a day, it will be apparent why I am concerned with growth, not simple numbers.

For this, and I posed the viz above, there is two issues:

1. Exponential growth. Once you get out in front, it is VERY hard to bring it back in, the numbers accelerate very fast.
2. Starting location.

The first I fix by what I would call indexing. As is typical for a lot of groups watching in this pandemic, I started at 10 deaths.

Why deaths? GREAT QUESTION.

Testing has proven (again, New York increased 1700% in one week, a completely irrelevant number) that this measure is subject to too many flaws. Flaws in who gets tested. Flaws in how many are tested. Flaws in how many tests are available. Flaws in how fast those tests are being completed ... they all create what I call bad data. what is bad data? Data that is not good, the early it starts the worse it is. It may be good in NY now, but when NY had 350 cases confirmed it was ABSOLUTELY not. And that is the point: Testing is very inconsistent. In South Korea its great. In NY two weeks ago, it sucked. In NY now its good. In Texas now its bad.

OTOH, Deaths, while not perfect (eg they are not counting that kid in LA who died as a corona victim, because he died of a co-morbidity) it is what it is. Testing doesnt change it. People who die get counted as having died.

And what do we know about disease?
1. It has a number of people affected (or infected) - we can measure this with testing if we have enough tests or deploy the tests methodically to collect data, not provide care. We could also test as many people as possible and after a significant threshold we can have a good answer. We are not doing either. Only South Korea has done that.
2. Transmission. We can get that answer the same way as the first.
3. Hospitalization. This is the first good data that we would get in a region that has a strong healthcare system and record keeping (and yes, the US does for this measure). People who need to be hospitalized WILL get hospitalized at a predictable rate. MAYBE it discounts 5 or 10 or 20%, but it is a consistent enough discount that you can measure growth from this number. Unfortunately, we dont know what percentage of people move from home care to hospital care, because the number of people who have it is unknown. The problem here is that hospitals dont readily share this data, and regionally it is difficult to find consistently.
4. Acute care. This is where it starts getting to very good data. It is very clear across all countries, and all states, that the rate of people who need acute care who are hospitalized is similar when adjusting for demographics. For example, ICU admission in California will be ~20% than New York, based on demographics. We know that because of data from China, Italy, and Spain. Science, not conjecture.
5. Finally deaths. Apparently in Italy and China, 49% of people who require ventilators to stay alive (ie those people laying face down in Italy) will die in 4 days, 5 days if they are moved to the ICU on arrival at the hospital.

Nearly every death is counted, and again, there is a discount, but the discount is very stable. There wont be a rush of people counted, and then a week of everyone staying home to die and being tossed in a lake.

Quote:

Absolutely, unequivocally false.

For starters: because of the contained cruise ship debacle that provided an amazing test lab for this, we are very sure that the mortality rate is not 15% like it was in Italy BEFORE their hospitals were overrun not long ago, or 6% like France right now, or 3% like China a month ago. It is much closer to 1%. The country that showed this the most closely, with the highest scale of testing is South Korea with 1-1.5% mortality depending on time lag of testing to death. So, are you relying on the fact that there is a completely unexplained delta in mortality across regions. A delta that cannot be explained by health care, demographics, time of crisis, resources, etc? I am not. That data is bad data. Incomplete at best, and completely useless comparing regions.

Quote:

So what does focusing on death get you? We know people dont die from COVID19 unless they have SARS-CoV-2. We can assume that for each region (ie California, Texas, etc) the mortality will stay pretty stable based on the local demographics. So, we KNOW that, until the hospitals are at full capacity, the mortality will be stable, irrespective of it being .01% like the flu or 30% like SARS-CoV-1. It doesnt REALLY matter now. Because if 30% of people die from it, consistently, the number of deaths will grow at the same rate as the number of infections. If .01% of people die from it, consistently, the number of deaths will grow at the same rate as the number of infections. It is basic, simple, math.

How do we know that is still true? Because despite all our best efforts, people who die are not dying slower. They die at a very predictable rate. Median 17 days from infection to death, for example. 9 days when the hospitals are overrun. How do they measure that? Because we know who dies. We dont know who has it, but we know who dies, and when they got symptoms and where they were likely to be infected. Hospitals in all developed nations, and most underdeveloped nations record this information.

The only place the mortality matters is if you need to slow the rate of growth in models because you run out of people to infect. Otherwise you just have to watch for median time to death changing and hospital capacity. Its not perfect but it is a hell of a lot cleaner than any of the alternative data outside South Korea.

So that all adds up to:
In comparing the states with 4 or 5 days since 10 deaths, it is pretty damn clear who has it the worst. It is very clear who will have it the worst. It is not a predictor of policy to determine when to shut down, I would do a completely different analysis for that. Predicting what states will be next, and how bad they will have it in two or three weeks is not possible with this methodology. BUT, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Louisiana, NY, Michigan, California, and Washington all have enough data to predict how terrible it will be for each. It will be worse for Texas than it is for Ca, but not nearly as bad as NY and that is just math, not conjecture.

Texas, with current conditions, would have to have an Iran style licking things event to change the math. I dont see that behavior, but maybe I missed it.

Finally, since running these numbers, expanding to each region that hits 10 deaths, the predictions have been very accurate. It is disturbing how accurate death growth rate continues until roughly 3 weeks after an effective goes into effect.

And to be honest, if 8 billion people contract something that doesnt kill them, I could not care less. I care about the outcomes. I care about how many people will seek help in local hospitals and die. Or die because the hospitals have no capacity. Not fairyland 6% or 15% or .5% mortality rates and face infection numbers.
LunchTime
Cal_79 said:

Because it peaks at 61k because it has a mortality rate of .09 and a low growth rate.

This wont.
Unit2Sucks
LunchTime said:

Cal_79 said:

Because it peaks at 61k because it has a mortality rate of .09 and a low growth rate.

This wont.

Also the flu vaccine, while imperfect, is readily available and ensures our healthcare systems are not overrun by flu cases every year. The flu is relatively predictable. The problem with H1N1, which was less deadly than seasonal flu, was that it was in addition to the seasonal flu, so it roughly doubled the normal number of annual flu hospitalizations.

COVID-19 may have similar symptoms but is overwhelming our system unlike the seasonal flu. Instead of 50k dying in a year, that many can die in a month, or if we do an even worse job, in a week. The rate of hospitalization is much higher than the flu and has downstream effects on everyone who needs care.

I don't understand all these "what's the big deal takes" that seem to ignore all the relevant facts on what is going on. Unless they are from Fox News viewers of course. Then it makes perfect sense.
calumnus
LunchTime said:

Cal_79 said:

This wont.

Exactly.

When you point to deaths from any cause the issue is "What are we doing or can we do about it?" Auto deaths? Age limits, Driver's licenses, drivers training, driver's tests, seatbelts, auto safety standards, speed limits and other traffic laws all enforced by $billions spent on police and highway patrol enforcing those laws. Cancer? $billions spent on research and treatment, many people changing their diet. Terrorism? Airport security, new agencies, laws limiting privacy, $trillions spent on wars. Mass shootings? Waiting periods, limits on ammo, attempts to limit certain types of weapons....

Influenza? we have flu vaccines (yes, that are hit and miss) and antibiotics if anyone develops bacterial pneumonia or bronchitis from normal influenza. It is the viral pneumonia aspect of this particular virus that makes it so deadly.

The reason people are "freaking out" over this (or global warming) while the impact is still relatively small is that we can save a lot of lives and/or prevent a huge disaster by taking extraordinary action now (or could have when people first starting calling for action). The call for extraordinary action while the numbers are still low just sounds like "freaking out" to those who are pushing back on taking the necessary action because of short term costs or ideology.

Waiting for the infection to be widespread with hospitals overflowing and the death count rocketing to justify "freaking out" would be too late and will be far more costly, especially in lives.
LunchTime
Unit2Sucks said:

LunchTime said:

Cal_79 said:

This wont.

Also the flu vaccine, while imperfect, is readily available and ensures our healthcare systems are not overrun by flu cases every year. The flu is relatively predictable. The problem with H1N1, which was less deadly than seasonal flu, was that it was in addition to the seasonal flu, so it roughly doubled the normal number of annual flu hospitalizations.

COVID-19 may have similar symptoms but is overwhelming our system unlike the seasonal flu. Instead of 50k dying in a year, that many can die in a month, or if we do an even worse job, in a week. The rate of hospitalization is much higher than the flu and has downstream effects on everyone who needs care.

I don't understand all these "what's the big deal takes" that seem to ignore all the relevant facts on what is going on. Unless they are from Fox News viewers of course. Then it makes perfect sense.
Yup.

People also forget that the CDC takes the "normal" flu extremely seriously. They track it, provide very low cost flu shots every year to try to slow it. They have a section of their site that lets you report shortages in vaccines. It is a serious health threat, and we manage it. But without the ability to see it coming and produce a vaccine, it would be MUCH worse than 60k a year.

When we have a treatment for SARS-CoV-2 (or maybe a vaccine), no one will care about it.

Its like saying "Why cant I walk across the freeway. I walk use a crosswalk every day and dont die." One has decades of protections designed with blood. The other does not. The first might kill you anyway.
LunchTime
calumnus said:

LunchTime said:

Cal_79 said:

This wont.

Exactly.

When you point to deaths from any cause the issue is "What are we doing or can we do about it?" Auto deaths? Age limits, Driver's licenses, drivers training, driver's tests, seatbelts, auto safety standards, speed limits and other traffic laws all enforced by $billions spent on police and highway patrol enforcing those laws. Cancer? $billions spent on research and treatment, many people changing their diet. Terrorism? Airport security, new agencies, laws limiting privacy, $trillions spent on wars. Mass shootings? Waiting periods, limits on ammo, attempts to limit certain types of weapons....

Influenza? we have flu vaccines (yes, that are hit and miss) and antibiotics if anyone develops bacterial pneumonia or bronchitis from normal influenza. It is the viral pneumonia aspect of this particular virus that makes it so deadly.

The reason people are "freaking out" over this (or global warming) while the impact is still relatively small is that we can save a lot of lives and/or prevent a huge disaster by taking extraordinary action now (or could have when people first starting calling for action). The call for extraordinary action while the numbers are still low just sounds like "freaking out" to those who are pushing back on taking the necessary action because of short term costs or ideology.

Waiting for the infection to be widespread with hospitals overflowing and the death count rocketing to justify "freaking out" would be too late and will be far more costly, especially in lives.

I should have just read your post instead of wasting time writing mine
Big C

Lunchtime, thanks for your detailed response to me, above.
okaydo
LunchTime
Big C said:

Lunchtime, thanks for your detailed response to me, above.
Yeah, man. I threw in a little Javid for ya

I used Brady to try and soften the mood, because him running vs Best is so damn funny. I still think its funny even today.
Cal_79
The majority of us are not scientists or medical professionals. We are, however, trying to understand the impacts of what's going on. This has nothing to do with which news shows they're perceived to watch or not watch.

How does dismissing someone's opinions serve to help us understand? Many of us have questions. Showing R numbers and complex charts and graphs is not really helpful to understanding. Simplicity helps. Analogies help.

Using even more complex scientific data does not help us understand. It's like talking to someone who doesn't understand what you're saying because they speak another language, and so you compensate by talking louder. Well guess what, just because you're talking louder doesn't mean you will be understood.

Rather than belittling people who may not be understanding what's being said, how about keeping our voices in check and using plain simple language to explain a complex subject.
LunchTime
Cal_79 said:

The majority of us are not scientists or medical professionals. We are, however, trying to understand the impacts of what's going on. This has nothing to do with which news shows they're perceived to watch or not watch.

How does dismissing someone's opinions serve to help us understand? Many of us have questions. Showing R numbers and complex charts and graphs is not really helpful to understanding. Simplicity helps. Analogies help.

Using even more complex scientific data does not help us understand. It's like talking to someone who doesn't understand what you're saying because they speak another language, and so you compensate by talking louder. Well guess what, just because you're talking louder doesn't mean you will be understood.

Rather than belittling people who may not be understanding what's being said, how about keeping our voices in check and using plain simple language to explain a complex subject.

Yeah, sorry. Sometimes I forget that this isnt a board of educated people. It's just football board full of uneducated fans with simple minds. /s

What helps is good data. False analogy and false simplification is fine for the dullards. This group can understand more than you give credit for. You can understand more than you give yourself credit for.

You cited false analogues data. People need to use fact to refute it.
Unit2Sucks
Cal_79 said:

Ok, let me make it simple for you - Anthony Fauci, the foremost government expert on the spread of diseases like COVID and who has been in his leadership position since 1984 has said that he expects 100k to 200k Americans to die of COVID in the next few months and millions to be sick from it. That's about 2-4x the number of Americans that died in Vietnam.

If you want to reduce the risk to yourself and those you come into contact with, you are encouraged to limit your interaction with other people for as long as possible.
Cal84
>Unless you turn off domestic travel, how can you completely stop the spread anywhere?

Only way is to synchronize a national shelter in place across all states at the same time. While doing this close national borders. After the shelter in place expires, retain closed national borders, Only way. Otherwise you are just going to be reinfected and the huge economic losses from a shelter in place will have been for nothing. Perhaps even worse, since it will sap the public's will for another round of shelter in place.
Cal_79
Still can't help yourself from belittling others... Must feel good to be so superior.
Cal_79
No kidding, Sherlock.
LunchTime
Cal_79 said:

Still can't help yourself from belittling others... Must feel good to be so superior.
I said you are intelligent enough to understand the data presented.
Bobodeluxe
But not intelligent enough to read?
okaydo

oskidunker
I am sick of watching the red box bowl
calumnus
Cal84 said:

>Unless you turn off domestic travel, how can you completely stop the spread anywhere?

Only way is to synchronize a national shelter in place across all states at the same time. While doing this close national borders. After the shelter in place expires, retain closed national borders, Only way. Otherwise you are just going to be reinfected and the huge economic losses from a shelter in place will have been for nothing. Perhaps even worse, since it will sap the public's will for another round of shelter in place.

This is a really good point.
LunchTime
Bobodeluxe said:

But not intelligent enough to read?
I didn't say he wasn't intelligent enough to read. He did imply that, though.
LunchTime
calumnus said:

Cal84 said:

This is a really good point.
Not sure what the Supreme Court case was but in 1941 they ruled that a state cannot prevent american citizens from entering. It had to do with the okie migration. Maybe someone can find that case. I couldnt off a quick search. It seems like that would have to looked at to protect the well run states from New York.

It sounds like hyperbole, but at this point, the real threat to the country is New York and New Jersey and some of the southern States that have also waited too long. Those states should be have extreme travel restrictions for the next 3 or 4 months.

If we could do that, the rest of the country can probably recover and be out by May. But the critical factor would be quick turnaround testing. Then we could isolate stragglers for a time to prevent spread, like South Korea.

It is absurd that we have a county and state response, but cannot provide a county or state recovery. And to do so would only require the delinquent states to be isolated from the well run states for a while.
Cal_79
Simplicity is a better measure of intelligence and understanding than is complexity.

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.
calumnus
Cal_79 said:

Simplicity is a better measure of intelligence and understanding than is complexity.

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.

Often, but that oversimplifies it :p

Many simple explanations are flat out wrong. "The Stork brings babies" is a very simple explanation. "God was lonely and so he made man out of clay" is a simple explanation.

But yes, if there is someone who understands the complexity, but can distill it into an explanation that is easily comprehensible, that is a good indication of understanding, both the big picture and the minutia.

Bobodeluxe
"Many simple explanations are flat out wrong... "God was lonely and so he made man out of clay" is a simple explanation."

Wait? What?
Cal_79
You're right about there being a difference between simple explanations and simply making stuff up.

Saying the stork brings babies is a simple explanation. It is a made-up story designed to appease the curiosity of small children, not to explain what is really going on.

Is it a ridiculous idea to use simple explanations about COVID-19 that do explain what is going on?
Unit2Sucks
Cal_79 said:

You're right about there being a difference between simple explanations and simply making stuff up.

Saying the stork brings babies is a simple explanation. It is a made-up story designed to appease the curiosity of small children, not to explain what is really going on.

Is it a ridiculous idea to use simple explanations about COVID-19 that do explain what is going on?

What are you looking for? Is there something specific you seek to understand?

It seems pretty simple as requested by New York State: stay home; stop the spread; save lives.

The why may be complicated but the what to do is as simple as that.
NYCGOBEARS
People are dying here. A lot. I'm done.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.