Warriors 2019 playoff thread

100,953 Views | 1110 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by philbert
Yogi58
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

I'm interested in seeing what they do. We might see more of the motion and back-cutting offense without Durant, which might actually cause more problems for Houston's defense (playing as they are without a rim protector most of the time). The secret about KD is that as great as he is, his passing was always a bit suspect, so once the ball went to him in the post it didn't whip around very much.

Now, I am NOT saying the Warriors are better off without Durant. I'm just saying we might see some interesting unforseen strategic changes now.
He averaged 4.9 assists per game this year (third on the team, just a little behind Curry).

Also, when the ball gets to Durant in the mid-post or deeper, I don't really want it going to anyone else unless a double comes.
gobears

Losing KD for game 6 and 7 is bigger than losing Chris Paul for 6 and 7 last year.. but not to cry over spilled milk now... just as Cavs lost Kyrie in game 1 of the 2014 finals. Just have to deal with it.

with that said, GSW played 2 important games without KD in March ... on road vs Rockets and then OKC..
GSW played well and got key road wins without KD...

Steph who had a bad game up until KD's injury stepped it up as he knew he had to carry the team if GSW was going to get a W.

Keep doubling Harden hard.. I would even chase him from behind in backcourt as he likes to casually dribble up and scan the court .... again, chase him in the back court, to try to take his comfort zone away..

goBears
goGSW

sycasey
Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

I'm interested in seeing what they do. We might see more of the motion and back-cutting offense without Durant, which might actually cause more problems for Houston's defense (playing as they are without a rim protector most of the time). The secret about KD is that as great as he is, his passing was always a bit suspect, so once the ball went to him in the post it didn't whip around very much.

Now, I am NOT saying the Warriors are better off without Durant. I'm just saying we might see some interesting unforseen strategic changes now.
He averaged 4.9 assists per game this year (third on the team, just a little behind Curry).

Also, when the ball gets to Durant in the mid-post or deeper, I don't really want it going to anyone else unless a double comes.

My anecdotal observation is that in the playoffs when the passing lanes get tighter KD is not able to fit passes in there. Steph, Draymond, Iggy, those guys can do it.
Yogi58
sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

My anecdotal observation is that in the playoffs when the passing lanes get tighter KD is not able to fit passes in there. Steph, Draymond, Iggy, those guys can do it.
Now you've done it - I'm officially triggered.

Actually, my info was wrong - the 4.9 is his playoff stats - regular season he was second on the team behind Draymond with 5.9 APG.

I don't think I really have a strong opinion on degree of difficulty on threading passes other than that Curry is the best at the team on it. He also is the most prone to making a really stupid pass. Durant's weakness is occasionally turning the ball over too much.
sycasey
Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Actually, my info was wrong - the 4.9 is his playoff stats - regular season he was second on the team behind Draymond with 5.9 APG.

I don't think I really have a strong opinion on degree of difficulty on threading passes other than that Curry is the best at the team on it. He also is the most prone to making a really stupid pass. Durant's weakness is occasionally turning the ball over too much.

Yeah, that last part is what I'm thinking of.
Yogi58
sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yeah, that last part is what I'm thinking of.
But, as an example, one of his turnovers last night was when he went up for a shot and Harden swatted the ball away on the way up. That wasn't a bad passing decision - it was just a shot that never happened.

Curry and Green tend to be the biggest offenders in the "what were you thinking?" type of passes in my opinion, but then they also make some great passes too.
BearlyCareAnymore
GBear4Life said:

Barkley gets it right. Maybe only slightly hyperbolic. The 'no Durant, no dynasty' part is on point.

Barkley is a moron.

The Warriors won a championship without Durant.

The Warriors put up the best record ever without Durant and then lost a close game 7 in the championship.

Curry was two time MVP. He didn't suddenly become a lesser player. He reduced his role to make room for Durant.

The Warriors would have been considered the favorite going into 2016 if they kept the team as it was. Durant made them a prohibitive favorite, but they still would have been the favorite.

The Warriors ate 26-1 with Curry playing and Durant not playing. Without Durant they are still an amazing team.

You can't just say "The Warriors rate 100 with Durant. He is worth 30. So they are 70 without him." It ain't that way. Curry, Green, Thompson, and Igoudala would all have contributed more if they never had Durant. Relevant to this moment, yes it is true that Current Warriors without Durant are not as good as 2015 Warriors. They essentially traded Barnes and a much more productive bench for Durant. But the core 4 players are still there.

IMO, the main obstacle for this team the last 2 years has been their ennui. I thought that might bite them last year and it almost did. It has continued this season. IMO, if they were challenged in the regular season last year, the Rocket series is never as close as it was. I think there is a reason their record is so good without Durant. They know they need to bring it.

We will never know, but my suspicion is that if Durant never came here, the Warriors would still be favorites though much closer. Dependent largely on how good the team who landed Durant would have been.

Houston is a very good team. IMO, Houston is a 60-40 favorite at home and those numbers flip in Oakland. I'd expect two close games, with either potentially going either way.

I'll add this. The mental intangibles are all on the Warriors side now. If the Warriors lose, everyone will say it is because of Durant. The downside is a lot lower for them. Also, they believe they can win without him because they have.

If the Rockets lose they will get massacred. It is potentially the end for them. If they can't beat the Warriors now, when will they ever do it? Losing yesterday already plants that doubt. It is time for Paul and Harden to rise to the biggest moment. If they do, it will be a first for them.

I also think a lot of the comments on the Warriors are based on the assumption that somehow their chances of winning should be 100%. So if they become a 60% favorite, somehow that equates to "they are going to lose". With 2 games to win one, the Warriors are a strong favorite to survive long enough to get Durant back. And if the injury turns out worse than it appears, they will be the favorites in the Western Conference Finals. They may be underdogs if they get to the finals, but they will have an excellent shot.
BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom said:

So, let's say KD is done for the season....

If the Warriors win a championship, it will diminish KD's 2 with them.
Just ponder that for a moment.
Few days ago, everyone is saying that this is Kd's team. But if the warriors win without him, why did they even need him the past 2+ seasons? KD will surely have to leave, and win a chip elsewhere to prove himself. In that sense (his legacy) he is likely rooting for the warriors to lose. "See? You needed me."

On the other hand....
Curry now has a chance to be The Beast that imortalizes himself. That should provide extra motivation for him, Klay, and Draymond.

Recall that post where I said Lacob should immediately install the Hamptons Five statues outside Chase?
If the Warriors win, make that Four statues.
What is with you with the Warriors? You alternate between predicting their demise and shyte disturbing.

If the Warriors win the next 10 championships, you will predict they will lose it next year every year until they finally do and then you'll say "I told you so."

The odds of winning are not 0% or 100%. The Warriors already proved they COULD win without Durant. They COULD have won every year without Durant. They also COULD have lost without him. And, by the way, they COULD have lost with him. The odds were (and are) better with Durant than without.

If the Warriors were to finish this out without Durant, it will be a tribute to just how good the remaining guys are. But it will take absolutely nothing away from Durant. Not to mention that even if they win in the playoffs without him this year, they may not have been able to do that without Durant's contribution in the regular season. Without Durant, the rest of the team would have had to work a lot harder to maintain the regular season, something IMO they undoubtedly would have been able to match, but at what cost. Curry and Igoudala may have had to wear themselves down a lot more than they did and be in a lot worse shape or a lot more injury prone.

Your last sentence is beyond ridiculous.
HoopDreams
chris paul has no respect for the game...

https://instagr.am/p/BxOlhjuFXVY

ClayK
So let's say the Warriors need 110 to win tonight ...

Looney 10 (at best)
Green 15
Iguodala 15
Livingston 6
Jerebko 6
Whoever 10

That means Steph and Klay must get 48 between them to get to 110, which is certainly within the realm ...

That said, though, if I'm Houston, I'm tempted to give Steph and Klay 60 and focus on holding down the others.

Interesting choice for Houston: Do they sag off of everyone to contain Steph and Klay? Or do they guard those two one-on-one and make sure the others don't reach double figures?

Beardog26
Very good post, OTB, most or all with which I agree completely. Though I believe the road would've been more easily traveled had KD not been injured in Game 5, this particular group of veteran champions could very well will the team to one victory in the next two games, then hopefully get KD and/or Cousins back at some point in the next series or two, plus have better match-ups in the Western Finals and hopefully NBA Finals to use Bogut, Cook, McKinnie and possibly Jerebko a bit more than they have in the Houston series.
blungld
It looked to me that KD popped his Plantaris tendon--the looking back is such a tell. It's a 3 week to 3 month injury--maybe faster for him?
concordtom
OaktownBear said:

concordtom said:

So, let's say KD is done for the season....

If the Warriors win a championship, it will diminish KD's 2 with them.
Just ponder that for a moment.
Few days ago, everyone is saying that this is Kd's team. But if the warriors win without him, why did they even need him the past 2+ seasons? KD will surely have to leave, and win a chip elsewhere to prove himself. In that sense (his legacy) he is likely rooting for the warriors to lose. "See? You needed me."

On the other hand....
Curry now has a chance to be The Beast that imortalizes himself. That should provide extra motivation for him, Klay, and Draymond.

Recall that post where I said Lacob should immediately install the Hamptons Five statues outside Chase?
If the Warriors win, make that Four statues.
What is with you with the Warriors? You alternate between predicting their demise and shyte disturbing.

If the Warriors win the next 10 championships, you will predict they will lose it next year every year until they finally do and then you'll say "I told you so."

The odds of winning are not 0% or 100%. The Warriors already proved they COULD win without Durant. They COULD have won every year without Durant. They also COULD have lost without him. And, by the way, they COULD have lost with him. The odds were (and are) better with Durant than without.

If the Warriors were to finish this out without Durant, it will be a tribute to just how good the remaining guys are. But it will take absolutely nothing away from Durant. Not to mention that even if they win in the playoffs without him this year, they may not have been able to do that without Durant's contribution in the regular season. Without Durant, the rest of the team would have had to work a lot harder to maintain the regular season, something IMO they undoubtedly would have been able to match, but at what cost. Curry and Igoudala may have had to wear themselves down a lot more than they did and be in a lot worse shape or a lot more injury prone.

Your last sentence is beyond ridiculous.
I don't understand your problem with my post.
I'm sure if we were face to face, we could sort it out.

I certainly hope the Warriors win.
I hope they all play great.
I hope boogie can play in the finals.
I hope KD comes back and plays well.
I hope curry lights a torch from here on out and wins finals MVP.

bearister
Warriors +7 in Game 6. Tempting.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GBear4Life
bearister said:

Warriors +7 in Game 6. Tempting.
eh, I dunno
bearister
Let's hope this game is not symbolized by Draymond taking the first shot, a brick, from trey land.
concordtom
I'm picking the Rockets in a blowout.
Just like what Mr. Bigshot predicted.

Harden should drive and fouls us out.
Who exits first?
GBear4Life
I can't watch HOU anymore. This is not basketball.
bearister
Typical Texans encouraging Paul's fraudulent antics.
concordtom
Fouling Harden on a 3 is really stupid, Steph!
GBear4Life
Kudos, the three offensive fouls they've called, and the no call on Paul falling down, were good calls.

All three fouls against Harden were not fouls. Sorry, you only get the space underneath you to come down unobstructed, if you fall 2 feet forward after release, not a foul.
bearister
concordtom said:

I'm picking the Rockets in a blowout.
Just like what Mr. Bigshot predicted.

Harden should drive and fouls us out.
Who exits first?

There are guys on this board that actually argue Curry can play defense.
GBear4Life
bearister said:

There are guys on this board that actually argue Curry can play defense.
why because he can't stay with Harden?

Curry will be the first to tell you he's not a great defender and is overmatched against good penetrators, but he's not Harden-bad. And his effort is there.
bearister
GBear4Life
This is soccer on hardwood floors.

concordtom
Wow, jerebko to livingston for the slam forces Houston to call timeout with a tied score at 42.

Me like!!
concordtom
GBear4Life said:

?
Flopping?
What's the compare?
concordtom
bearister said:

Looney has really helped the warriors, not just in this game.
GBear4Life
concordtom said:

GBear4Life said:

?
Flopping?
What's the compare?
Yes, falling down and flailing
concordtom
Warriors bench doing a great job of staying in this game.
Klay is impressing, reminiscent of his old performances.

I won't feel comfortable until the final whistle and we win.
concordtom
Damn, Klay is an interesting head case!
Shows what the brain is capable of.
bearister
Klay: 53% from the field; 55% from arc

What would the pre game gambling odds be on the proposition that the score will be tied at halftime with zero points from Curry and KD out? 50-1?

GBear4Life
The Rockets play GS so well defensively. GS has to work so hard and they rarely get great looks. This would be a blowout if Klay were not en fuego. All of Klay's 3's have been tough.
GBear4Life
My boy Jordan Bell has made some plays at both ends.
GBear4Life
I get it refs. Refs don't want to miss legit calls.

But at some point, with all the flopping and falling down, you have to just say look you all lost the benefit of the doubt and I'm not going to call it just because there's contact and limbs and bodies flailing, I have to actually see a foul being committed, not just reaction to contact.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.