Okay, who goes to Camp David for "the talk"?

26,890 Views | 467 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Big C
movielover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shorty.

Big C
sycasey said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

According to some reports, Biden is angry with Obama and ("Crazy") Nancy Pelosi. Doesn't feel respected. Get a clue, Mr. President: You did a good job for four years, you will go down in history as a good President...but now you're 81 and frail. You don't automatically get handed another four years as the most powerful person on earth. It's a tough world. Put on your big boy Depends pants. You're a year late, but you can still pull 'em on.

Lady Macbeth Doctor Biden, you you're not doing anybody any favors... except Trump and his ilk.
But he wasn't automatically handed another 4 years. He won the nomination fair and square.

He didn't win the nomination, which has not occurred yet. He did get by far the most votes in the primaries. However, the primaries were then and this is now. Two possibilities about what happened

1. 12-18 mos. ago, when he should've announced he would stick to one term, maybe his decline was already noticeable, or maybe those around him were in a state of denial. At any rate, the primaries were held under false pretenses. Solid opposition was discouraged, because Biden was supposedly still competent and he was the sitting President (that is when he got the respect he deserved). The choice was an aging-but-still-competent Biden, the sitting President, versus two token nobodies. Of course he was going to win.

2. The other possibility is that he actually seemed pretty good 12-18 mos. ago when he decided to run again, but that most of his decline has come in the last 6-9 mos. And that is even more scary.

It's in the best interests of the country to have the two parties' BEST CANDIDATES face each other in the general election. I'm not going to speak for the Republicans; they can decide for themselves, but the Democrats need to nominate somebody that is better than 2024 Biden. That we already held the primaries doesn't matter to me, in this case.

I think most reasonable people can look at that nomination contest and see that Biden did not win against realistic competition. As you note, that's pretty standard when there is a sitting President running for re-election. Since then voters have seen pretty clear evidence that Biden will not be able to competently complete another term, and polling (even among Democrats) has turned against him running for reelection.

There's no time to run a new primary, so it's reasonable for a political party to seek other options in this circumstance. There's no legal reason they can't.

Agree. If anybody should feel disrespected here, it might be rank-and-file Dem primary voters... like me. So I don't appreciate GOP-types who are now saying that getting rid of Biden now is an attack on democracy. (Of course, they can say whatever they want, but... .)

If so motivated, the Democratic Party could put together some sort of mini-national-primary / popularity contest / whatever, if they put their minds to it. They'd have to think outside the box, this being uncharted waters. Two problems, though:

1) the Dems who think it should automatically be handed off to Kamala Harris... possible party split
2) any other potential candidate would have to risk being accused of not giving the VP her due out of their own shameless ambition (would be their words, not mine). So I think a guy like Newsom, who wants it at some point but knows he's walking a fine line in 2024... he'd have to be totally drafted

Tricky situation the Dems are in. Meanwhile Trump is quite beatable, with the right candidate in place. And that's why it pisses me off that Biden (supposedly) feels disrespected: This is about a lot more than how he feels.

dajo9
Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

According to some reports, Biden is angry with Obama and ("Crazy") Nancy Pelosi. Doesn't feel respected. Get a clue, Mr. President: You did a good job for four years, you will go down in history as a good President...but now you're 81 and frail. You don't automatically get handed another four years as the most powerful person on earth. It's a tough world. Put on your big boy Depends pants. You're a year late, but you can still pull 'em on.

Lady Macbeth Doctor Biden, you you're not doing anybody any favors... except Trump and his ilk.
But he wasn't automatically handed another 4 years. He won the nomination fair and square.

He didn't win the nomination, which has not occurred yet. He did get by far the most votes in the primaries. However, the primaries were then and this is now. Two possibilities about what happened

1. 12-18 mos. ago, when he should've announced he would stick to one term, maybe his decline was already noticeable, or maybe those around him were in a state of denial. At any rate, the primaries were held under false pretenses. Solid opposition was discouraged, because Biden was supposedly still competent and he was the sitting President (that is when he got the respect he deserved). The choice was an aging-but-still-competent Biden, the sitting President, versus two token nobodies. Of course he was going to win.

2. The other possibility is that he actually seemed pretty good 12-18 mos. ago when he decided to run again, but that most of his decline has come in the last 6-9 mos. And that is even more scary.

It's in the best interests of the country to have the two parties' BEST CANDIDATES face each other in the general election. I'm not going to speak for the Republicans; they can decide for themselves, but the Democrats need to nominate somebody that is better than 2024 Biden. That we already held the primaries doesn't matter to me, in this case.

I think most reasonable people can look at that nomination contest and see that Biden did not win against realistic competition. As you note, that's pretty standard when there is a sitting President running for re-election. Since then voters have seen pretty clear evidence that Biden will not be able to competently complete another term, and polling (even among Democrats) has turned against him running for reelection.

There's no time to run a new primary, so it's reasonable for a political party to seek other options in this circumstance. There's no legal reason they can't.

Agree. If anybody should feel disrespected here, it might be rank-and-file Dem primary voters... like me. So I don't appreciate GOP-types who are now saying that getting rid of Biden now is an attack on democracy. (Of course, they can say whatever they want, but... .)

If so motivated, the Democratic Party could put together some sort of mini-national-primary / popularity contest / whatever, if they put their minds to it. They'd have to think outside the box, this being uncharted waters. Two problems, though:

1) the Dems who think it should automatically be handed off to Kamala Harris... possible party split
2) any other potential candidate would have to risk being accused of not giving the VP her due out of their own shameless ambition (would be their words, not mine). So I think a guy like Newsom, who wants it at some point but knows he's walking a fine line in 2024... he'd have to be totally drafted

Tricky situation the Dems are in. Meanwhile Trump is quite beatable, with the right candidate in place. And that's why it pisses me off that Biden (supposedly) feels disrespected: This is about a lot more than how he feels.

Kind of funny that you think you are in any way a part of the billionaire donor / Republican never-Trumper machinations.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
Big C
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

Kind of funny that you think you are in any way a part of the billionaire donor / Republican never-Trumper machinations.

Current GOP narrative: Let's throw whatever we have against the wall and see what sticks. "Look, it's actually the Democrat Party that is staging an anti-democracy coup!"

Me: "Let's run the candidate -- whomever it may be -- that has the best chance to win in November!"
bear2034
Multiple blue-anon sources are hinting at another Hillary Clinton run. She can draw in big donor money to match Trump and her husband would be interested in a president who will pardon him when the Epstein files are released.
bear2034
Big C said:

So I think a guy like Newsom, who wants it at some point but knows he's walking a fine line in 2024... he'd have to be totally drafted.

If Newsom was serious about the nomination, he wouldn't have signed that trans bill a couple days ago.
dajo9
Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

Current GOP narrative: Let's throw whatever we have against the wall and see what sticks. "Look, it's actually the Democrat Party that is staging an anti-democracy coup!"

Me: "Let's run the candidate -- whomever it may be -- that has the best chance to win in November!"

You're just being a useful idiot
bear2034
Biden should avoid further humiliation and take whatever compensation package his ousters are proposing under the condition that Kamala is the replacement candidate knowing she has no chance against Trump. They all know Kamala still doesn't poll very well. Jill can take the early bet hoping that Kamala will never be president.
bear2034
movielover said:

They want to remove the potential for the first half-Black female President?

They think black people can't obtain ID's to vote, remember?
Big C
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

I'd ask you to explain why me wanting to run the best candidate to beat Trump in November makes me an idiot, but instead, I'm just going te be happy that you said I was "useful" (to somebody... anybody).
bear2034
Big C said:

dajo9 said:

I'd ask you to explain why me wanting to run the best candidate to beat Trump in November makes me an idiot, but instead, I'm just going te be happy that you said I was "useful" (to somebody... anybody).
dajo9
Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

There is no candidate better than Biden.

Harris maybe, but with all the turmoil around it, history says no. But these billionaire donors, Dems on their payroll, and Republican never-Trumpers don't want Biden or Harris. They want Republican-lite. Which would:
1- destroy the Democratic base
2- never even get on all the ballots through these Republican states and judges.

But these billionaires and friends don't care if Dems get crushed. They'll be fine under a Trump Presidency. Even made richer. It's not their problem if their little gambit doesn't work out.
Big C
bear2034 said:

Big C said:

So I think a guy like Newsom, who wants it at some point but knows he's walking a fine line in 2024... he'd have to be totally drafted.

If Newsom was serious about the nomination, he wouldn't have signed that trans bill a couple days ago.

That's why I said I don't think he thinks it's really in the cards, this time around. In terms of LBGTQ issues, he's playing the long game: Basically the first politician to ever come out in favor of gay marriage. Back then, many people outside of SF thought he was a weirdo, but now he just looks like he was prescient... ahead of his time. Now it's 2024 and you didn't even hear the GOP opposing gay marriage this past week. Of course, somebody had probably written it in there somewhere (maybe Vance's speech?), but then it got crossed out... and wisely so.

NEWSON 2028!
(or sooner)
bear2034
bearister
tRump's Evangelical/Opus Dei base, with an assist from the fanatics on SCOTUS, will work relentlessly until they achieve a nationwide ban on abortion and gay marriage.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bear2034
"What you're witnessing under Biden is a toxic fusion of the Marxist left, the Deep State, the military-industrial complex, the government security and surveillance services, and their partners, all merging together into a hideous perversion of the American system, and that's exactly what it is."

- Trump, May 25, 2024
sycasey
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

Harris maybe, but with all the turmoil around it, history says no. But these billionaire donors, Dems on their payroll, and Republican never-Trumpers don't want Biden or Harris. They want Republican-lite. Which would:
2- never even get on all the ballots through these Republican states and judges.

But these billionaires and friends don't care if Dems get crushed. They'll be fine under a Trump Presidency. Even made richer. It's not their problem if their little gambit doesn't work out.
I think the way Biden has polled for the last year (running behind other Dems in key swing states), combined with his performance in public events recently (like the debate) indicates that there are probably better candidates than Biden.
bear2034
Big C said:

bear2034 said:

Big C said:

That's why I said I don't think he thinks it's really in the cards, this time around. In terms of LBGTQ issues, he's playing the long game: Basically the first politician to ever come out in favor of gay marriage. Back then, many people outside of SF thought he was a weirdo, but now he just looks like he was prescient... ahead of his time. Now it's 2024 and you didn't even hear the GOP opposing gay marriage this past week. Of course, somebody had probably written it in there somewhere (maybe Vance's speech?), but then it got crossed out... and wisely so.

NEWSON 2028!
(or sooner)

Our memories fail us but the internet is forever. Newsom is the same guy that got caught drinking wine at the French Laundry during Covid lockdowns.
dajo9
sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

I think the way Biden has polled for the last year (running behind other Dems in key swing states), combined with his performance in public events recently (like the debate) indicates that there are probably better candidates than Biden.

That would be great information you are sharing if it were January 2024. See my comment to Big C. You guys are playing fantasy football. It's fantasy.
sycasey
dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

That would be great information you are sharing if it were January 2024. See my comment to Big C. You guys are playing fantasy football. It's fantasy.
I disagree, but will not continue this line of argument as it is clear you are dug in.
Big C
sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

Not to mention, people are seeing the 2024 Biden and wondering about the 2027 Biden. These things only go in one direction. When I am 81, hopefully I will still be optimistic enough about the future to buy green bananas, but I doubt I could imagine myself taking on a mentally challenging four-year commitment. I mean, except for posting on the BI Off Topic forum.
bear2034
dajo9 said:

Exactly. If there was one, we would have figured it out before 2020. The big mistake was Bidens' pick for VP.
dajo9
sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

I disagree, but will not continue this line of argument as it is clear you are dug in.

The great position you are in is you've created this fantasy and if things go bad you'll say, "if they followed my fantasy we would have won. It's not my fault."

You'd be wrong.
sycasey
dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

The great position you are in is you've created this fantasy and if things go bad you'll say, "if they followed my fantasy we would have won. It's not my fault."

You'd be wrong.
Based on the other thread, I think you've created a fantasy in which Joe Biden has been "doing great" outside of the debate. He hasn't.

I don't think getting a different candidate is any kind of guarantee. In fact, it's an extremely risky play! It's just that what I've seen of Biden tells me that (sadly) replacing him is the lower-risk play now.
bear2034
Van Jones was on CNN at the RNC saying the energy in the room felt a lot like Obama back in 2008. The energy has now shifted to the Republicans and the only way the Democrats can get some of that back is if they make a big change, even if it's illegal and unconstitutional.
Big C
bear2034 said:

Van Jones was on CNN at the RNC saying the energy in the room felt a lot like Obama back in 2008. The energy has now shifted to the Republicans and the only way the Democrats can get some of that back is if they make a big change, even if it's illegal and unconstitutional.

Explain how whatever "change" you're referring to would be illegal and unconstitutional. And consider avoiding advice from David Sacks, who seems like he might know what he's talking about, based on his amassed fortune, but does not.
bear2034
Big C said:

bear2034 said:

Explain how whatever "change" you're referring to would be illegal and unconstitutional. And consider avoiding advice from David Sacks, who seems like he might know what he's talking about, based on his amassed fortune, but does not.

Biden didn't even give his employer a two week notice? Who is his employer you might ask? It's us, we the people.
Shocky1
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the following is a reprint from cal's monster class back in the day:

visited this morning the recently opened nicklaus design group ferry point golf course just outside of nyc with panoramic views of the manhattan skyline

https://instagr.am/p/C7dS0GksHlA
arrive from my hotel by cab at the clubhouse around 7:30 am to stretch & warm up at the practice facility

upon arrival the head golf professional tells me that ferry point's developer donald trump heard that as a golf digest & golf magazine rankings panelist that i had an 8:10 tee time and would i like to play with the donald at 8:20 am instead?

so i say sure, no big deal, let's do this

so we make the introductions on the practice green & the 1st thing i notice is that trump has the weirdest color hair ever (kinda yellow orange) & that he has total man boobs along with an oversized obnoxious red cap

i walk & carry my lightweight leather mackzenie bag while the donald drives a golf cart literally to within 6 inches of every green...just as annoyingly, we then proceed to play thru every group on the golf course in front of us (why does he do this, why not just take the 1st tee time?)...it's funny to watch people's reactions as he dictates the playing thru, some golfers are understandably agitated while others want a selfie with him on their phones, he very clearly enjoys all the drama he's created

so he tells us while we wait for the short par 4 8th green to clear that he thinks ferry point is one of the greatest golf courses in the united states (it isn't, there are at least a dozen courses on long island & the hamptons that are significantly better) & that he's qualified to make that statement because of his extensive travels around the globe playing golf, that nobody knows golf architecture better than him & that includes actual golf architects

so in front of his 2 buddies & his cart caddie i tell the donald that actually i'm one of the 13 guys (and the youngest) to have played the world top 100 courses & stare him down...total silence, one of his buddies who is the chairman of macys starts to laugh & donald play punches my shoulder kinda hard, he's been pwned...whatever

dude is an interesting guy but playing golf with him is not really a celebration of the game but more like riding a roller coaster

you're fired, shocky#

yeah shocky is probably the only california golden bear on planet earth that's been punched by donald trump

shocky is unbreakable (but why can't he learn how to do a handstand?)#

what is the most critical question that the majority of americans wanted answered during tonite's presidential debate?

yeah they want joe biden (who is too old/senile for the white house, he should be living in one of the condos above biscayne bay where the cuban gentlemen sleep all day & dining at mila at nite, my fellow stinson beach high school grad/california governor gavin newsom would be a much better choice for the democratic party) to ask donald trump the following question:

President Biden: Donald, as a convicted felon and acknowledged elections denier with multiple documented assaults against females do you feel that your unprovoked punching Shocky is your worst crime thus far?

https://instagr.am/p/BK1PpkdD858
vote for andrew mcgraw for athletic director!!!!#
movielover
AntiochWags just resigned as head of the Antioch Car Club.

He'll be taking no questions, and will be unloading his vintage convertible turd-yellow VW Rabbitt soon.
bear2034
July 13 Failed assassination attempt on President Trump
July 17 Biden says he will drop out of presidential race if "medical condition" emerges
July 18 Biden is diagnosed with Covid
July 21 Biden forced to withdraw from presidential race
bear2034
dajo9 said:

Harris maybe, but with all the turmoil around it, history says no.
movielover
bear2034
They're hiding Biden in a basement again?
Big C

Too bad for all concerned that this couldn't have been resolved 12-18 months ago, but the fact remains:

Joe Biden has been a good President and that's how he will go down in history.
bear2034
According to Politico, Biden's campaign staffers were actively whipping up delegate support as Joe Biden announced he is dropping out of the race.

'None of us understand what's happening," a staffer told Politico. "We're all finding out by tweet."

President Joe Biden's state campaign aides were telephoning delegates ahead of next month's Democratic convention at the very moment he announced his withdrawal from the race Sunday afternoon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.