Police videos thread

74,067 Views | 883 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by okaydo
Cave Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hanky1
Police shooting rubber bullets in Anaheim...

...after protesters started throwing bottles at them unprovoked.
Cave Bear
Cave Bear
hanky1 said:

Source?

Better have a video or gtfo
Cave Bear
hanky1
Cave Bear said:

hanky1 said:

Source?

Better have a video or gtfo
It's on the 11 o'clock news rigth now
Cave Bear
SRBear
Videos can be clipped to show whatever someone wants you to see....usually leaving out some important context. So, I wouldn't believe every video I see.
hanky1
SRBear said:

Videos can be clipped to show whatever someone wants you to see....usually leaving out some important context. So, I wouldn't believe every video I see.
Agree.

Unless they're posted by me because I personally vet every video I post and can confirm it is unedited and the context is 100% accurate.
Cave Bear
SRBear said:

That caveat works sometimes, but in most of these there is no reasonable explanation possible. Just cops out of control because they know their actions will be condoned (by right-wing ****s like the ones on this board) unless someone gets killed.
Cave Bear
Cave Bear

Watch this one. Boston PD unloading bricks into a downtown alleyway. Wonder what they were hoping would happen to those bricks?
hanky1
Cave Bear said:

Watch this one. Boston PD unloading bricks into a downtown alleyway. Wonder what they were hoping would happen to those bricks?
It seems to me that they removed bricks they found and are disposing of them safely
Cave Bear
hanky1 said:

Cave Bear said:

It seems to me that they removed bricks they found and are disposing of them safely
They're disposing of them safely in an urban alleyway in the middle of the protest? Seems like there's a lot of safer places.
Unit2Sucks
I think there are some great videos of cops not attacking or even choosing to cooperate with or march with peaceful protesters, but they don't make up for the absolutely horrendous actions we've seen the last few days by many in blue.

The reason people are spending so much time focusing on the bad apples in the police community is because their job is to protect and to serve. They are instruments of the state and civil servants who work for the public. I have nothing but criticism for white supremacists, antifa, non-affiliated looters and any other violent people who are doing bad things every day. They are criminals who should be apprehended and prosecuted.

But that doesn't excuse bad cops. Looters or violent actors in one location doesn't make it acceptable for cops to shoot peaceful protesters with rubber bullets elsewhere. Every single cop who violates his oath with these reprehensible acts needs to pay for it and should lose their job. Imagine if anyone here did anything like this on the job and said "well, what about all the other good office drones out there who didn't commit a felony." It's immaterial and not a defense of wrongdoing. I don't think this should be a controversial point.
Cave Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

I think there are some great videos of cops not attacking or even choosing to cooperate with or march with peaceful protesters, but they don't make up for the absolutely horrendous actions we've seen the last few days by many in blue.

The reason people are spending so much time focusing on the bad apples in the police community is because their job is to protect and to serve. They are instruments of the state and civil servants who work for the public. I have nothing but criticism for white supremacists, antifa, non-affiliated looters and any other violent people who are doing bad things every day. They are criminals who should be apprehended and prosecuted.

But that doesn't excuse bad cops. Looters or violent actors in one location doesn't make it acceptable for cops to shoot peaceful protesters with rubber bullets elsewhere. Every single cop who violates his oath with these reprehensible acts needs to pay for it and should lose their job. Imagine if anyone here did anything like this on the job and said "well, what about all the other good office drones out there who didn't commit a felony." It's immaterial and not a defense of wrongdoing. I don't think this should be a controversial point.
What makes me most angry about the abuses by police is the relative stakes on each side. Even with these videos, nothing is going to happen to the cop in the vast majority of them. And of course the abuses that got caught on film are only a fraction of the total police misconduct that is happening now. The ones that didn't get caught on video will all get away.

The recipients of their abuse? Well if they're lucky the cop did no serious damage to them and they didn't retaliate. If they did retaliate, even just an instinctual defensive response like to push back someone who pushes you, they will be swarmed by other officers, beaten up and arrested possibly on felony charges of attacking an officer. The police abuse will thereby frequently result in the victim getting a jail term; if they have priors it could be a lengthy term.
okaydo
Cave Bear said:

SRBear said:

More than a couple journalists have been assaulted by protesters.
Source?

I think the cops are only behaving badly to journalists because the journalists are shining a light on their actions.

I think when journalists aren't shining a light on their actions, the cops are behaving positively.

https://newsguild.org/no-place-in-our-democracy-newsguild-condemns-arrests-assaults-on-journalists/

okaydo
Cave Bear said:

BearForce2
Cave Bear said:

I see one dumb tweet and 2 dumb people not moving when obviously the police are moving forward.
okaydo
Don't worry. The international community already has a low opinion of America.

Cave Bear
BearForce2 said:

Cave Bear said:

I see one dumb tweet and 2 dumb people not moving when obviously the police are moving forward.
They were even more provocative than that. They jumped the fence after the cops started advancing. But I don't see 2 dumb people. I see 2 brave young people willing to risk their well-being (legal and physical) in an act of peaceful civil disobedience to protest the injustice of our society. They have nothing to gain out there any everything to lose.

I don't think the cops acted badly in this video.
okaydo
Cops aren't big MSNBC fans.

Anarchistbear
Pigs on Horseback

Anarchistbear
Pigs on Parade

Anarchistbear
Thug life

going4roses
Cognitive Dissonance
going4roses
What is the difference? And why?

Eastern Oregon Bear
After seeing multiple cases of people being hit in the face (and eyes) by rubber bullets, I'd say the police are not using them as the non lethal alternatives they were meant to be. If they can't aim for lower parts of the body as I've always heard they were supposed to (or even bouncing them off the ground first), then maybe they shouldn't have them.

I think we're seeing the consequences of the government passing out surplus military gear to police departments. It's militarized police work and made them act more like paramilitary squads than community peacekeepers. I'm not saying that cops are bad. The vast majority are good, but there's an unacceptably high percentage of bad apples that seem to have lost their humanity and there doesn't seem to be much effort to weed them out.
LMK5
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

After seeing multiple cases of people being hit in the face (and eyes) by rubber bullets, I'd say the police are not using them as the non lethal alternatives they were meant to be. If they can't aim for lower parts of the body as I've always heard they were supposed to (or even bouncing them off the ground first), then maybe they shouldn't have them.

I think we're seeing the consequences of the government passing out surplus military gear to police departments. It's militarized police work and made them act more like paramilitary squads than community peacekeepers. I'm not saying that cops are bad. The vast majority are good, but there's an unacceptably high percentage of bad apples that seem to have lost their humanity and there doesn't seem to be much effort to weed them out.
Let's take a step back. Why, in the first place, aren't officers screened better before coming to the force? Take the flashpoint, Minneapolis. They've had Democrat leadership for 54 of the last 59 years. Why haven't they been successful in carefully screening and hiring officers who are sensitive to the community and have pledged--or have a history of abiding by--soft touch police tactics? What's their excuse? We can ask the same question in regards to Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, DC, etc.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
Unit2Sucks

Patrick Skinner agrees:

Quote:

Patrick Skinner spent a decade running counterterrorism operations overseas for the CIA. He worked in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Jordan; met with kings and presidents; rose through the ranks. But he came to believe he was part of the problem, that the very premise of the work was flawed. So he came home, and joined the police force in Savannah, Georgia, where he grew up.

I first learned about Skinner in a New Yorker profile. Then a friend mentioned his Twitter feed to me: There, Skinner reflects, in a thoughtful, continual stream, on the work of policing, the importance of treating your neighbors like neighbors, the daily work of deescalation, and the behavior of his menagerie of pets.

Skinner has been particularly outspoken in the aftermath of George Floyd's death. "We have to change our profession," he wrote. "We aren't warriors. We aren't at war with our neighbors."
Quote:

But this is not a training issue. People want it so badly to be an issue of training. Training is part of it. We train for our goals. Our goal is a war on crime. And we're getting a war. I saw the war on terror; it was horrible. Now I see the war on crime, and it's just as bad.
Quote:

People need to imagine the end of a war. That's what they need to accept. Our training is spot on: We're in a war on crime, and it's us versus them, and our neighbors are sheep we need to protect. You hear the term civilians. I thought we were all civilians! Our training fits the mindset.

The question we need to ask is: What's the point? What do we want to see happen? It's about what we expect the police to do. If I was commissioner of all police on the planet, I'd say there's a ceasefire in the war on crime. We're going to work for the 99 percent of people instead of against the 1 percent. Most 911 calls I go to are not crimes. They may become crimes, but our job is to stop it. We're taught that it's a war. It's not. But it's becoming a war.

We are the action arm for a ****ed-up national mindset. This doesn't exist in isolation. America has the police force that it votes for, that it funds. This system is what we set up. We spent a lot of money and a lot of time over hundreds of years to have this police force. We are trained for what we're hired for, and what we're hired for is war.

Eastern Oregon Bear
LMK5 said:

Let's take a step back. Why, in the first place, aren't officers screened better before coming to the force? Take the flashpoint, Minneapolis. They've had Democrat leadership for 54 of the last 59 years. Why haven't they been successful in carefully screening and hiring officers who are sensitive to the community and have pledged--or have a history of abiding by--soft touch police tactics? What's their excuse? We can ask the same question in regards to Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, DC, etc.
I'm in full agreement with your first point. Screening during the initial training is even better than afterward. However, you seem to want use your partisan lenses to couch this as a Democrat versus Republican issue. I see it more as a national issue. It should be addressed everywhere. The protests are a big city problem mainly, not a red state vs blue state thing. The big protests are in the big cities and that's where the trouble is. Have you heard of any big protests in Mayberry?
SRBear
Well, I'm in Santa Rosa and they've had protests here and even tried to break into our crappy little mall.
BancroftBear93
"We're from the government and we're here to help."

Our police state is out of control and dangerous, but some of you guys seem focused only on the low-level government enforcers (cops) and not the oppressive, overarching police state that requires these thugs.

Less government is the solution to this and many other social ills.
Eastern Oregon Bear
SRBear said:

Well, I'm in Santa Rosa and they've had protests here and even tried to break into our crappy little mall.
There's 175,000 people living in Santa Rosa these days. That's a sizable city. It's not your Dad's sleepy small town anymore.
BancroftBear93

LMK5 said:

I'm in full agreement with your first point. Screening during the initial training is even better than afterward. However, you seem to want use your partisan lenses to couch this as a Democrat versus Republican issue. I see it more as a national issue. It should be addressed everywhere. The protests are a big city problem mainly, not a red state vs blue state thing. The big protests are in the big cities and that's where the trouble is. Have you heard of any big protests in Mayberry?
But wait, they are screened! If an applicant is too intelligent, the applicant is rejected. You heard that correctly, police are screened to make sure nobody intelligent (and hence more independent and likely to question unconstitutional orders, for example) makes it through. Cops are idiots, by design. A little microcosm of idiocracy.

This is our government in action! Let's have more and bigger government, that should help! Yayyyy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.