Police videos thread

74,071 Views | 883 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by okaydo
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
okaydo said:

white people need to see this type of thing, often, so as to become aware.

Dude was taking out the trash. He lived there. Cops happen upon him.
The accuser of some local issue had provided no description of person cops should be looking for. And she appears while they are trying to arrest him and says "it's not him" - the cops don't stop.

Definition of racial profiling and punishing for being black.
going4roses
concordtom said:

okaydo said:

The accuser of some local issue had provided no description of person cops should be looking for. And she appears while they are trying to arrest him and says "it's not him" - the cops don't stop.

But there are way too many whites that enjoy this accept this thus approve of this.

Imagine trying to live life under this impending threat ever MF day of ones life. Black people (descendants of slavery only) have daily trauma embedded in out DNA going on 500+ years.

And we still have to be 2-3 times better than everyone one else and still are not accepted on a basic human level

Then we have the house ______. Like barkely ,elders, owens and Steele who give racist f ucks talking points. Other minorities have sellouts but those minorities have achieved higher status because they did not experience slavery and and ... in this country

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeaQaNrF/

But there is no racism ...
concordtom
going4roses said:

concordtom said:

okaydo said:

But there are way too many whites that enjoy this accept this thus approve of this.

Imagine trying to live life under this impending threat ever MF day of ones life. Black people (descendants of slavery only) have daily trauma embedded in out DNA going on 500+ years.

And we still have to be 2-3 times better than everyone one else and still are not accepted on a basic human level

Then we have the house ______. Like barkely ,elders, owens and Steele who give racist f ucks talking points. Other minorities have sellouts but those minorities have achieved higher status because they did not experience slavery and and ... in this country

Okay, well I don't know what you are talking about in reference to Barkley, Elders, Owens and Steele. I'd be glad to have you explain.
going4roses
When certain people on this board for instance post things from that type of black person (in skin only) as if to say ah hah look its these blk people who say that "there is no racism" or "Floyd was was on drugs" or "The problem with the black families is no fathers"

okaydo
concordtom
concordtom said:

going4roses said:

concordtom said:

okaydo said:

Okay, well I don't know what you are talking about in reference to Barkley, Elders, Owens and Steele. I'd be glad to have you explain.

But why the reference to those 4 names?
The first I assume is Charles. Are you accusing him of being an "Uncle Tom"? What about the others?
going4roses

concordtom
going4roses said:

Okay, so based on your use of Our and We, I assume you are black. And you mention that certain psychological things have been passed down to you based on your family's history. This is super interesting to me!!! See, I've been bit by the genealogy bug 15 years ago. I like researching for clues about my ancestors.

I first began grabbing names, dates, places of people - just to fill out the tree as far back as I could go. Some lines 500 years, other lines only 200, which is still pretty good! When I began I only knew names of my great grandparents in my head, but really nothing about who they were.

As I went along, I had to have a better understanding of US history. Like, wait, if this guy was in a fairly populated town in Illinois in 1844, why did he go to rural BFE in Minnesota in 1852, where he soon thereafter died? A: the US Govt began granting homesteading acres to new settlers, no doubt as a way of simply taking over the land from native populations.

That's just one example of me having to learn about social policies of the time, and how it impacted my inter generational story. Another would be post Rev War, a family moved due north from CT to Canada. Why? A: they must have been tories, loyal to the English King. Another would be the opening of the Erie Canal: several family groups took that technological advancement to move over the Appalachians into the Midwest... So, you get the point. I began to digest and consider the "time and place" narrative about who they were, how I became me, how WE as Americans today have become "us".

I have over 4800 people in my tree. I'm 10th cousins with my wife, who herself is distantly related to my stepfather and an uncle. I found that my daughters are 5th cousins with a friend from school. We have famous people galore in our tree as stuff like 5th cousins 7 generations removed. Some names:
Eli Whitney, inventor of the cotton gin.
Founder of Macy's.
Levi Coffin, Underground Railroad in Indiana.
Lucretia Coffin Mott, "first feminist".
Sarah Palin, Kathryn Hepburn, Bing Crosby and I are all descendants of William Brewster of the Mayflower.
Arial Bradley was a 7 year old spy of George Washington.
I have 7 or 8 US Presidents in my tree as distant cousins: Bushes, FDR, Coolidge, Grant, Adams, Taylor.
You get the idea.

I've learned how deeply interconnected we all are.

A couple of genealogy shows I've enjoyed:
"Who Do You Think You Are", and
Henry Louis Gates' "African American Lives" and his "Finding Your Roots".

There IS a question for you in here, by the way...

Through Gates' work, I began to understand issues, histories, stories of black America, and it's quite a different experience that I hadn't truly encountered, experienced, or considered much. He really educated me, enabled to see things differently and I am forever changed and grateful for Gates!

So, my question to you, Going4Roses, is: have you ever dove back into you genealogical heritage? Have you ever uncovered stories about your past and digested what the time and place narrative has meant for you and your current family? Like an episode of WDYTYA or FYR, which is what my entire 4800 tree study has been, I'll bet your own Book of Life (Gates' term) would be very interesting - to you, to me, and I'd like to learn from it.
Like, what is in that story that made you write this:

"Black people (descendants of slavery only) have daily trauma embedded in out DNA going on 500+ years."

Nothing wrong with the statement, and I'll never know the story, but I think white people could benefit a lot from having that perspective - which is why I say "Henry Louis Gates is doing more to improve black-white race relations in this country than anyone else!" Because his show tells a story and gives that perspective every damn week.
concordtom

concordtom
I love this!
It happens over and over on his show.
And the lesson is, juxtaposed with the racist violent videos in this thread - MAN, WE ARE ONLY JUST FIGHTING OURSELVES.
So small minded.

concordtom
Thx.
I'll check those out shortly. I'm currently in the middle of the LA 92 documentary.
going4roses
My last name is Jefferson...
going4roses
going4roses
concordtom said:

okaydo said:

Our mere existence is criminalized from birth

Hence mass incarceration and the school to prison pipeline.

As youth from the age of 10 or 11 I was amazed every birthday I made it alive id say almost astonished. And by 17 it was an ever more of a surprising milestone. From 10/11 yrs of age I basically wrote off making it to 17/18 yrs old.
okaydo
going4roses
Beat me to it by 5 mins lol

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMea3bPcW/

Why is he. Yelling like he is talking to his own child ?
Did the cop assume his rank woefully incorrect I wonder why hmm
concordtom
going4roses said:

Right. Understood.
However, I've got a couple questions that last bit.
He says that he wants to always refer to himself as an "Afro-American".
What's the latest thinking.
When I was growing up, there were constant commercials for the "United Negro Fund". However, nobody uses the term Negro anymore.
There was the dad of what friend (who tried to politely refer to a black kid as "colored", as if black was impolite (circa 1978, Oakland).
Then we went through the "African American" phase. But that has seemed to fade as many say, "Ive never been to Africa and my ancestors have been here for hundreds of years - I'm 'American!'"
And so, I use "black" and "white".
But my kids were confused.

So, what is your latest understanding of what's polite, acceptable, unacceptable?
Thank you.
going4roses
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeaKbjqj/
concordtom
going4roses said:

As youth from the age of 10 or 11 I was amazed every birthday I made it alive id say almost astonished. And by 17 it was an ever more of a surprising milestone. From 10/11 yrs of age I basically wrote off making it to 17/18 yrs old.
That's tragic to hear anyone say that. Where did you grow up?
going4roses
concordtom said:

going4roses said:

That's tragic to hear anyone say that. Where did you grow up?

El sobrante / north Oakland
going4roses
Wish it was " a man " . No race/color/ethnicity used but in that case black man.

But of course at the end of the day F what you refer to me as if you still gonna be disrespectful. More focused on tangible gains needed from being so far in the red by design is what is paramount to me.
okaydo
This story is so infuriating. I didn't realize how infuriating it was when I posted.

going4roses
This is the usual. Every time we walk out the door this is the reality of living in Amerikkka.

Imagine the psychological damage over generations. And in response some black people ( skin color only) rebuke themselves to a point of self hatred thus doing the job of racists whites. On the flip side some black folks shoot each other but won't shoot the real oppressor.
Franz Fanon writes about this Psychosis
going4roses
I was never fearful of my own just the police and systematic racism.

At the age of 9 I learned young black males are born with a price on our heads. And thus act / behave accordingly
going4roses
Pulled over for doing 65 mph in 70 mph zone !!!!

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMemhYAyd/
concordtom
going4roses said:

Wish it was " a man " . No race/color/ethnicity used but in that case black man.

But of course at the end of the day F what you refer to me as if you still gonna be disrespectful. More focused on tangible gains needed from being so far in the red by design is what is paramount to me.

I hear you.
Thank you for sharing.

I learned a lot watching this pbs Minneapolis doc on generational wealth. It gave me a lot to think about.
We need more like it.

BearlyCareAnymore
okaydo said:

This story is so infuriating. I didn't realize how infuriating it was when I posted.

Quote from John Adams:
Quote:

It is more important that innocence be protected than it is that guilt be punished, for guilt and crimes are so frequent in this world that they cannot all be punished.

But if innocence itself is brought to the bar and condemned, perhaps to die, then the citizen will say, 'whether I do good or whether I do evil is immaterial, for innocence itself is no protection,' and if such an idea as that were to take hold in the mind of the citizen that would be the end of security whatsoever.

How do you think this impacts the Black community every time they see things like this? I know that as long as I don't break the law, I'm not going to have a problem. Do they have such assurances?
concordtom
going4roses said:

This is the usual. Every time we walk out the door this is the reality of living in Amerikkka.

Imagine the psychological damage over generations. And in response some black people ( skin color only) rebuke themselves to a point of self hatred thus doing the job of racists whites. On the flip side some black folks shoot each other but won't shoot the real oppressor.

Please do not make blanket statements like that. Nobody should be getting shot, and the presumption in your statement is that generic white people are the oppressor.

I was totally with you before you got to "the flip side".

Dammit, I really wish I knew a way, a plan, for how we could quickly undo all the psychological damage that has been done, how to fix it all.

I think you're very much on to something.
When I was 20, 1989, I moved from CA to DC and was working at a sporting goods store. I had lived in CA my whole life: Montclair, Orinda, San Diego to that point. In DC, I found that there was a different white-black culture. Definitely different!

For one thing, so many of the Capitol Hill jobs (barbers, shoe shines, porters, doormen) are reminiscent of a post-slavery service era. That was just *weird* for me to experience. I recently watched the movie The Butler and it totally took me back! Whites and blacks were both conforming to that culture, and it was weird to me - because I didn't recognize that type of racial role playing in California.

But before that, the sporting goods store.
Herman's, at White Flint mall on Rockville Pike.
This one guy I was working with, we were talking, and he was just carrying on complaining, complaining. I don't even recall about what, but it had something to do with being black in a white dominated/discriminating society. Finally, I asked him bluntly, "come on, it can't be THAT bad. And he assured me, "oh no, it is." And then he went on to talk about his parents and grandparents, and..."

I've thought about that many times. And I think that very much speaks to your point about the psychology that gets passed down. I know I do inherit great strength and confidence from the stories of my parents and grandparents, etc. Some have done some cool stuff.
We need to stop giving segments of our society crap stories to pass down but wins.

Peace.
concordtom
going4roses said:

I was never fearful of my own just the police and systematic racism.

At the age of 9 I learned young black males are born with a price on our heads. And thus act / behave accordingly

What happened at age9?
concordtom
going4roses said:

I'll have to look up Frank Fanon...
concordtom
going4roses said:

Pulled over for doing 65 mph in 70 mph zone !!!!

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMemhYAyd/

W t f ??

I think every black driver should be given a camcorder system: rear, front, cabin, sides.
Place little stickers indicating "you are being recorded".

Get Uber to normalize it as standard. People might learn to behave differently. That cop is simply fishing, trying to find cause.
concordtom
OaktownBear said:

okaydo said:

Quote from John Adams:
Quote:

It is more important that innocence be protected than it is that guilt be punished, for guilt and crimes are so frequent in this world that they cannot all be punished.

But if innocence itself is brought to the bar and condemned, perhaps to die, then the citizen will say, 'whether I do good or whether I do evil is immaterial, for innocence itself is no protection,' and if such an idea as that were to take hold in the mind of the citizen that would be the end of security whatsoever.

How do you think this impacts the Black community every time they see things like this? I know that as long as I don't break the law, I'm not going to have a problem. Do they have such assurances?

Great quote!
Thx.
okaydo
going4roses
Oh no forgive me if that's what I implied. All whites are not overt proud racists clearly because if that was the case things would be even worse.

During During my time at San Francisco State a guy I tried to impress upon the younger students that "don't be blinded by the emotional turbulence we battle everyday" ever white person is not bad but when I was 19 yr old I felt much the same way. As I grew older and learned/read more I I got a better picture of what is going on.

I said "some" purposefully in both instances.
going4roses
This ain't the only instance ...

I'm still amazed how non violent offenders(black) seem to get way more prison time than white (sexual offenders)

I know prosecutors choosing which to charge plays big role

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.