Police videos thread

74,093 Views | 883 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by okaydo
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LMK5 said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

After seeing multiple cases of people being hit in the face (and eyes) by rubber bullets, I'd say the police are not using them as the non lethal alternatives they were meant to be. If they can't aim for lower parts of the body as I've always heard they were supposed to (or even bouncing them off the ground first), then maybe they shouldn't have them.

I think we're seeing the consequences of the government passing out surplus military gear to police departments. It's militarized police work and made them act more like paramilitary squads than community peacekeepers. I'm not saying that cops are bad. The vast majority are good, but there's an unacceptably high percentage of bad apples that seem to have lost their humanity and there doesn't seem to be much effort to weed them out.
Let's take a step back. Why, in the first place, aren't officers screened better before coming to the force? Take the flashpoint, Minneapolis. They've had Democrat leadership for 54 of the last 59 years. Why haven't they been successful in carefully screening and hiring officers who are sensitive to the community and have pledged--or have a history of abiding by--soft touch police tactics? What's their excuse? We can ask the same question in regards to Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, DC, etc.

The problem is that police unions are powerful. They're opposed to any kind of reform, even screening.

Cops could easily ruin a mayor's life by making him look bad or threatening his personal safety.

That's why Bill de Blasio, who's passionately hated by the NYPD, has been sticking up for them the past few days. He even initially defended the NYPD's right to run over protesters.

Case in point: The NYPD union boss posted de Blasio's daughter's address on Twitter 2 days ago.

When de Blasio's Democratic New York City Mayor successor David Dinkins proposed police reforms in 1992, including an independent panel looking into police abuse, off-duty NYPD officers rioted -- led by Rudy Giuliani -- and on-duty NYPD officers didn't really try to stop them.

Yes, police riot.

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/17/nyregion/officers-rally-and-dinkins-is-their-target.html

The same thing happened in Minneapolis. A reform-minded police chief came in and was met with resistance.

But he has to contend with a powerful Minneapolis police union boss who has been called racist.

Remember cops are powerful: Remember what happened in San Francisco when public defender Jeff Adachi died.

Also remember: It's hard to fire cops. They could do absolutely sh*tty things. It took 5 years to fire the NYPD who killed Eric Garner. And if they lose their jobs or quit under controversy, they'll easily find a job at another police department.

Like this guy:

BearlyCareAnymore
okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

After seeing multiple cases of people being hit in the face (and eyes) by rubber bullets, I'd say the police are not using them as the non lethal alternatives they were meant to be. If they can't aim for lower parts of the body as I've always heard they were supposed to (or even bouncing them off the ground first), then maybe they shouldn't have them.

I think we're seeing the consequences of the government passing out surplus military gear to police departments. It's militarized police work and made them act more like paramilitary squads than community peacekeepers. I'm not saying that cops are bad. The vast majority are good, but there's an unacceptably high percentage of bad apples that seem to have lost their humanity and there doesn't seem to be much effort to weed them out.
Let's take a step back. Why, in the first place, aren't officers screened better before coming to the force? Take the flashpoint, Minneapolis. They've had Democrat leadership for 54 of the last 59 years. Why haven't they been successful in carefully screening and hiring officers who are sensitive to the community and have pledged--or have a history of abiding by--soft touch police tactics? What's their excuse? We can ask the same question in regards to Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, DC, etc.

The problem is that police unions are powerful. They're opposed to any kind of reform, even screening.

Cops could easily ruin a mayor's life by making him look bad or threatening his personal safety.

That's why Bill de Blasio, who's passionately hated by the NYPD, has been sticking up for them the past few days. He even initially defended the NYPD's right to run over protesters.

Case in point: The NYPD union boss posted de Blasio's daughter's address on Twitter 2 days ago.

When de Blasio's Democratic New York City Mayor successor David Dinkins proposed police reforms in 1992, including an independent panel looking into police abuse, off-duty NYPD officers rioted -- led by Rudy Giuliani -- and on-duty NYPD officers didn't really try to stop them.

Yes, police riot.

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/17/nyregion/officers-rally-and-dinkins-is-their-target.html

The same thing happened in Minneapolis. A reform-minded police chief came in and was met with resistance.

But he has to contend with a powerful Minneapolis police union boss who has been called racist.

Remember cops are powerful: Remember what happened in San Francisco when public defender Jeff Adachi died.

Also remember: It's hard to fire cops. They could do absolutely sh*tty things. It took 5 years to fire the NYPD who killed Eric Garner. And if they lose their jobs or quit under controversy, they'll easily find a job at another police department.

Like this guy:

Um...China specifically did run over people in Tiananmen Square
SRBear

It would be nice if people would just chill the f out.
SRBear
GoOskie
Cave Bear said:

Waiting for one of our resident right-wing trolls to say it was just an innocent gesture...
It's the circle game, duh. Doesn't everyone play the circle game?
okaydo

okaydo

dimitrig
LMK5 said:

Two decades ago my girlfriend worked at a day spa with a female office manager who was mentally unstable. She would slam the door behind her and lock herself inside. She would have hysterical tantrums. She would make false accusations. She was naturally brown-haired, brown-eyed (half-Arab) with a bigger build. She dyed her hair blonde, wore green contacts, and worked out like crazy to stay fit because she said she needed to attract a husband. We told her that at some point her mate would find out that she was not really a blonde with green eyes, but that seemed lost on her. Everything about her was fake, she clearly had self-esteem problems, and she was not well-liked.

I don't know why, but she got it into her head that she wanted to be a police officer. As part of the vetting process they sent out letters and conducted interviews. Some of the questions were of the sort: "Do you think this person is capable of remaining calm under pressure?" and "Would you feel comfortable if this person was carrying a firearm?" My girlfriend was one of the people asked and so were a couple of other employees. They compared notes afterwards and they all said that she would make a terrible cop and should not have access to a gun.

A year later we found out that she had graduated from the academy and had started working as a police officer. Astounding!

okaydo

Bear70
This thug needs his ass kicked.
okaydo

Bear70
What's the issue? Cops in fear for their lives? Profanity? Shooting people?
Do we know what they were facing? Do we know how close they came to being killed or seriously injured?
Cops are routinely reminded that their patrol vehicles can be utilized as weapons and it's usually written in policy as a weapon of necessity.
Are we that offended? After watching them being assaulted night after night? Is it unreasonable for them to express a little fear and anger?
Anarchistbear

Thug Greatest Hits Compilation.
sycasey
BancroftBear93 said:

LMK5 said:

I'm in full agreement with your first point. Screening during the initial training is even better than afterward. However, you seem to want use your partisan lenses to couch this as a Democrat versus Republican issue. I see it more as a national issue. It should be addressed everywhere. The protests are a big city problem mainly, not a red state vs blue state thing. The big protests are in the big cities and that's where the trouble is. Have you heard of any big protests in Mayberry?
But wait, they are screened! If an applicant is too intelligent, the applicant is rejected. You heard that correctly, police are screened to make sure nobody intelligent (and hence more independent and likely to question unconstitutional orders, for example) makes it through. Cops are idiots, by design. A little microcosm of idiocracy.

This is our government in action! Let's have more and bigger government, that should help! Yayyyy.
I'm not sure how you propose to fix a problem with cops except by government action.
dimitrig
Bear70 said:

Do we know what they were facing? Do we know how close they came to being killed or seriously injured?
Cops are routinely reminded that their patrol vehicles can be utilized as weapons and it's usually written in policy as a weapon of necessity.
Are we that offended? After watching them being assaulted night after night? Is it unreasonable for them to express a little fear and anger?

Do the cops exist to serve and protect? Does that sound like that is what their mindset is?

They should do their damn jobs and stop pretending they are in the army fighting a war.

BearlyCareAnymore
Bear70 said:

What's the issue? ... Shooting people?

Uh...yeah.
sycasey
Bear70 said:

Many of these videos clearly show that the cops faced no immediate threat from the people they attacked, yet they attacked anyway.

Seems like the cops are being trained to live in fear of the people they are supposed to serve.
okaydo
Bear70 said:

Oh sure, there have been a few videos of cops being assaulted.

But those videos are vastly outnumbered by cops assaulting protesters when not under threat, thus escalating a situation that could've been de-escalated. Thus making the situation even more violent.

As we all know, violence begets more violence.

The thing is cops are supposed to be better than us. They are not supposed to be thugs who instigate violence.

Maybe too many cops are hired who are fearful of their life, which leads to bad behavior.

These 2 tweets from the weekend stick with me the most.

A few years ago, Black Lives Matter was denounced on the right as a terrorist organization and police were winning the "All Lives Matter"/"Blue Lives Matter" PR war

Today, major brands and major sports teams are supporting Black Lives Matter because there clearly is a police abuse problem.

Heck, even George W. Bush has to emphasize that protesters should be "protected by responsible law enforcement."

sycasey
Donald Trump: continuing to make George W. Bush look good. Possibly his greatest accomplishment.
okaydo
yeah, baby!

https://instagr.am/p/CA8zdf1HhGs
SRBear
You know its already been vandalized once.
okaydo

okaydo

SRBear
Hmm...maybe we actually need some protection....except a little late for this guy...
SRBear
They are part of the FBI hostage response team.
okaydo
SRBear said:

Hmm...maybe we actually need some protection....except a little late for this guy...

That is absolutely terrible.

But this is the police videos thread, not the violent looters thread.

Maybe you consider violent looters who kill innocent people and violent police who kill innocent people the same, but I don't.

I believe they should be differentiated because violent looters aren't tasked to protect and serve me.
bearister
I once represented a captain in the Marine Corps that served in Afghanistan. He was a staunch Republican. I represented him (pro bono) in connection with applying to the VA on his claim for benefits for PTSD and other combat related injuries. He told me there are thousands of veterans that served in Iraq and Afghanistan that have undiagnosed, and thus untreated, PTSD. He said some of them became policeman and warned that if you cause some of them to lose their tempers during an interaction, it won't have a happy ending.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo

SRBear
So the democrat mayor of DC is responsible for this since the mayor is who called for the curfew.
okaydo
SRBear said:

So the democrat mayor of DC is responsible for this since the mayor is who called for the curfew.

Yes. But voters should be exempt, but the police apparently haven't gotten the message.

But ultimately it's the mayor's fault.

going4roses
Too bad people didn't chill out when African chattel slavery labor became the primary economic engine to build the wealth America has amassed.

Still with no payment for services rendered
SRBear
Well, you can take that up with the rich folk who have been here forever....my wife is a Pacific Islander and I'm a second generation immigrant....and, I don't have enough money to pay off that debt.
going4roses
Does either one of you have the effects chattel slavery in your DNA ?

Yes or no?
dimitrig
going4roses said:

Does either one of you have the effects chattel slavery in your DNA ?

Yes or no?

My step-sisters are half African and half Dutch. Do they cancel each other out?

SRBear
Hmm....don't think so.....Dad's parents were Swedish, Mom eastern European Jews....both my wife's parents are Pacific Islanders....Guam to be specific.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.