The Latest Rumors

228,960 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
philly1121
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigDaddy said:

fat_slice said:

We also know why USC and UCLA kept this super top secret. The UC regents would have absolutely destroyed things for them. We just shat ourselves out of B1G with this debacle.

Thanks a lot Newsom- we would have been better off without this display of ineptitude.
Newsom didn't even show up for this meeting. Typical.

what is he going to do? Lobby the Regents? He is ABOVE the Regents. Not vice versa. And there really is nothing he can do. He got it on the Regents agenda. Which is more than I can say for Christ and Knowlton. Not that they have any say on the Regent agenda.

Newsom only has 6 appointees from 18 Appointed Regents. He also serves in an ex officio capacity. Meaning he can't vote. There is nothing he can do except urge the Regents to look at the deal UCLA struck.

And on that note, the Regents are not going to do anything to prevent UCLA from leaving. The only thing they can do is potentially prevent other schools from leaving. No way Newsom or the Regents are going to invite what amounts to a "regulatory taking" and stop UCLA from leaving.
dimitrig
philly1121 said:

BigDaddy said:

fat_slice said:

We also know why USC and UCLA kept this super top secret. The UC regents would have absolutely destroyed things for them. We just shat ourselves out of B1G with this debacle.

Thanks a lot Newsom- we would have been better off without this display of ineptitude.

what is he going to do? Lobby the Regents? He is ABOVE the Regents. Not vice versa. And there really is nothing he can do. He got it on the Regents agenda. Which is more than I can say for Christ and Knowlton. Not that they have any say on the Regent agenda.

Newsom only has 6 appointees from 18 Appointed Regents. He also serves in an ex officio capacity. Meaning he can't vote. There is nothing he can do except urge the Regents to look at the deal UCLA struck.

And on that note, the Regents are not going to do anything to prevent UCLA from leaving. The only thing they can do is potentially prevent other schools from leaving. No way Newsom or the Regents are going to invite what amounts to a "regulatory taking" and stop UCLA from leaving.

The question is what the Regents can do for Cal.

Can they threaten to block UCLA's move? Can they make UCLA subsidize Cal?

Overall, except for possible concerns about student travel, it is better for UC if UCLA gets that money.

What would be better yet is if Cal could get some of it, too.

The Regents need to explore that.

sycasey
dimitrig said:

philly1121 said:

BigDaddy said:

fat_slice said:

The question is what the Regents can do for Cal.

Can they threaten to block UCLA's move? Can they make UCLA subsidize Cal?

Overall, except for possible concerns about student travel, it is better for UC if UCLA gets that money.

What would be better yet is if Cal could get some of it, too.

The Regents need to explore that.
If anything happens (maybe nothing happens), I think it would likely be one of the following:

1. UCLA is forced to share some of the B1G money with Cal.

2. Cal gets invited to the B1G just to smooth over all the problems.

I really doubt UCLA's move would be entirely blocked.
movielover
Or join the Big West.

Time for the Pac 11 Commisioner to step up.
Golden One
philly1121 said:

BigDaddy said:

fat_slice said:

Not true! The Board of Regents have 26 voting members, 18 of which are appointed by the Governor. Ex-officio members (all of whom can vote) include the governor, lt. governor, speaker of the assembly, supt. of public instruction, UC President, President of the Alumni Associations of UC and the VP of the Alumni Associations of UC.
philly1121
Golden One said:

philly1121 said:

BigDaddy said:

fat_slice said:

Not true! The Board of Regents have 26 voting members, 18 of which are appointed by the Governor. Ex-officio members (all of whom can vote) include the governor, lt. governor, speaker of the assembly, supt. of public instruction, UC President, President of the Alumni Associations of UC and the VP of the Alumni Associations of UC.
Great. He still only has 7 appointees out of the 18 or 26 people on the Regents. All the others were appointed by Governor Brown. My point still stands. They can't stop UCLA from leaving.
southseasbear
philly1121 said:

Golden One said:

philly1121 said:

BigDaddy said:

fat_slice said:

Great. He still only has 7 appointees out of the 18 or 26 people on the Regents. All the others were appointed by Governor Brown. My point still stands. They can't stop UCLA from leaving.
You're probably right, but they can divert funds from the Southern Branch (equivalent to part the windfall it will receive from joining B1G) to Cal (to compensate for the loss of athletic revenue).
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
Econ141

4 more spots...do we make it?
Bobodeluxe
I'll be sure up get back my row of tickets in TT to watch professional post secondary school laundry models.
SBGold
fat_slice said:

I don't see it happening.
oskidunker
Bobodeluxe said:

I'll be sure up get back my row of tickets in TT to watch professional post secondary school laundry models.
Fans in the stands wont matter and will be non existent if all the games areThur and Fri night. I probably am done if that happens and wont watch on tv either.
Go Bears!
sycasey
fat_slice said:

First off, I'm not sure the B1G is definitely going to stop at 20, but if they are . . .

If they just want to add a west coast pod to ease travel burdens on USC/UCLA, then yes I think Cal would be part of it (Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford). If they are adding Notre Dame or someone else back east, then maybe not, but it all depends a lot on what other schools are doing. For example, does Furd even want to get into the business of paying players? Is ND staying independent (seems that way for now)? Is the ACC breaking apart or staying together?
berserkeley
fat_slice said:

Apparently, Warren was asked if he could foresee the B1G expanding to 20 teams and Warren replied, "I could. Yeah. I could see perpetual and future growth." The way McMurphy worded it made it sound like B1G expansion was a little more certain than the way Warren actually worded it.
MrGPAC
sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

First off, I'm not sure the B1G is definitely going to stop at 20, but if they are . . .

If they just want to add a west coast pod to ease travel burdens on USC/UCLA, then yes I think Cal would be part of it (Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford). If they are adding Notre Dame or someone else back east, then maybe not, but it all depends a lot on what other schools are doing. For example, does Furd even want to get into the business of paying players? Is ND staying independent (seems that way for now)? Is the ACC breaking apart or staying together?

You gotta think they are thinking about breaking it down into divisions or pods.

2 8 team divisions makes some sense (if you have 9 conference games that gives you everyone in your division + 2 in the other, giving a collegiate player who stays 4 years a chance to play vs everyone in the conference at least once).

2 10 team divisions is harder. To play everyone in your division takes up all 9 games. To add cross division games requires adding more games to the schedule. This is where you start breaking things into pods. Really anything past 16 gets you in this spot.

At this point you have to decide on 3 pods vs 4 pods. With a 3 pod system you would have to have a mini playoff at the end of the year, where the winner of each division + the best runner up in a division make a 4 team mini playoff (think baseball when it had 1 wild card). With 18 teams that would give you 3 6 team pods, but that would only leave room for two new west coast schools, and they would be in a pod with 2 teams no where near the west coast.

With 21 teams that gives you 3 7 team pods, which would give us the 6 west coast schools + 1 other (Nebraska?) and room for the b1g to add one additional school anywhere in the country beyond Oregon/Washington/Cal/stanford. Schedule would be 6 games against your division + 1 each against the other 2 pods for an 8 game schedule, or 2 each against the other pods for a 10 game schedule. With 2 each you would play all the teams in the conference over a 4 year stretch (and 1 team twice).

If they go to 4 pods, then you have two options, 20 teams or 24 teams. At 20 teams that would be 4 5 team pods, and one of Cal/Stanford/Washington/Oregon gets left out. This isn't ideal for travel scenarios for non football sports, but maybe that isn't a concern. I know people are saying Cal would be the obvious one to be left out if we did that, but I'm not convinced it wouldn't be Stanford who has stated they will not pay student athletes when the B1G says they want to.

Schedule wise that would be 4 games against your pod and 2 each against the other 3 for a 10 game schedule. Trying to split it up any other way would be difficult (but possible).

Either way, 20 teams doesn't make a whole lot of sense other than as a stop gap to get to 24 teams, where there would be 4 6 team pods. With 4 6 team pods you play everyone in your pod for 5 games, and if you want an 8 game schedule 1 team in every other pod, or if you are willing to go to 11 conference games, 2 against every other pod, leaving 1 game open for non conference rivalry. At 2 games in every other pod that means you play a game vs every other team in the conference every 3 years.

To me either 21 teams (3 pod winners + wild card for championship) or 24 teams (4 pod winners for championship) makes the most sense. 20 is too high for divisions and too low for pods, and I don't see the B1G going higher than 20 teams until they have a firm answer on whether or not they can get members of the ACC.

Which really brings us down to the big major point:

16 teams works great for now. 24 teams including Notre Dame and ACC teams is the desired end goal. The question is how quickly do they rush towards the end goal without a response from Notre Dame / ACC teams. As it stands now I don't see why they wouldnt' stand pat and wait for the ACC GoR to fall apart...then make their move.
Golden One
philly1121 said:

Golden One said:

philly1121 said:

BigDaddy said:

fat_slice said:

The Regents can definitely stop UCLA from leaving the Pac if they want to. The question is whether or not they really want to. I doubt it.
movielover
Golden One said:

philly1121 said:

Golden One said:

philly1121 said:

BigDaddy said:

fat_slice said:

The Regents can definitely stop UCLA from leaving the Pac if they want to. The question is whether or not they really want to. I doubt it.

Their ICA program allegedly added $110M in debt due to Covid (closed FB and MBB games), so without the move, they claim they will lose most sports.

How did Cal not suffer the same hit?
dimitrig
movielover said:

Golden One said:

philly1121 said:

Golden One said:

philly1121 said:

BigDaddy said:

fat_slice said:

Their ICA program allegedly added $110M in debt due to Covid (closed FB and MBB games), so without the move, they claim they will lose most sports.

We don't spend $5.4M per year on non-travel meals for our football team.

According to the LA Times:

"By comparison, other Pac-12 schools spent from $399,000 to $1.2 million on non-travel football meals in 2019, according to financial disclosures filed with the NCAA. That doesn't include Stanford and USC, which don't have to provide the information because they are private."

Next highest was Arizona at $1.2M. Cal was at $800K.

Also, UCLA had big financial hits from buying out Jim Mora ($12M) and Steve Alford ($5M).

Econ141
movielover said:

Golden One said:

philly1121 said:

Golden One said:

philly1121 said:

BigDaddy said:

fat_slice said:

No one was going to the basketball games even before COVID. So drop off was much less from that low base.
CaliforniaEternal
movielover said:

Golden One said:

philly1121 said:

Golden One said:

philly1121 said:

BigDaddy said:

fat_slice said:

Cal Athletics has received massive campus subsidies the last few years. The recent P12 distributions are by far the least of any major conference because of the reduced number of games played due to the absurd covid restrictions. Every conference school is hurting big time right now so it's no surprise the conference is falling apart.
calumnus
MrGPAC said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

You gotta think they are thinking about breaking it down into divisions or pods.

2 8 team divisions makes some sense (if you have 9 conference games that gives you everyone in your division + 2 in the other, giving a collegiate player who stays 4 years a chance to play vs everyone in the conference at least once).

2 10 team divisions is harder. To play everyone in your division takes up all 9 games. To add cross division games requires adding more games to the schedule. This is where you start breaking things into pods. Really anything past 16 gets you in this spot.

At this point you have to decide on 3 pods vs 4 pods. With a 3 pod system you would have to have a mini playoff at the end of the year, where the winner of each division + the best runner up in a division make a 4 team mini playoff (think baseball when it had 1 wild card). With 18 teams that would give you 3 6 team pods, but that would only leave room for two new west coast schools, and they would be in a pod with 2 teams no where near the west coast.

With 21 teams that gives you 3 7 team pods, which would give us the 6 west coast schools + 1 other (Nebraska?) and room for the b1g to add one additional school anywhere in the country beyond Oregon/Washington/Cal/stanford. Schedule would be 6 games against your division + 1 each against the other 2 pods for an 8 game schedule, or 2 each against the other pods for a 10 game schedule. With 2 each you would play all the teams in the conference over a 4 year stretch (and 1 team twice).

If they go to 4 pods, then you have two options, 20 teams or 24 teams. At 20 teams that would be 4 5 team pods, and one of Cal/Stanford/Washington/Oregon gets left out. This isn't ideal for travel scenarios for non football sports, but maybe that isn't a concern. I know people are saying Cal would be the obvious one to be left out if we did that, but I'm not convinced it wouldn't be Stanford who has stated they will not pay student athletes when the B1G says they want to.

Schedule wise that would be 4 games against your pod and 2 each against the other 3 for a 10 game schedule. Trying to split it up any other way would be difficult (but possible).

Either way, 20 teams doesn't make a whole lot of sense other than as a stop gap to get to 24 teams, where there would be 4 6 team pods. With 4 6 team pods you play everyone in your pod for 5 games, and if you want an 8 game schedule 1 team in every other pod, or if you are willing to go to 11 conference games, 2 against every other pod, leaving 1 game open for non conference rivalry. At 2 games in every other pod that means you play a game vs every other team in the conference every 3 years.

To me either 21 teams (3 pod winners + wild card for championship) or 24 teams (4 pod winners for championship) makes the most sense. 20 is too high for divisions and too low for pods, and I don't see the B1G going higher than 20 teams until they have a firm answer on whether or not they can get members of the ACC.

16 teams works great for now. 24 teams including Notre Dame and ACC teams is the desired end goal. The question is how quickly do they rush towards the end goal without a response from Notre Dame / ACC teams. As it stands now I don't see why they wouldnt' stand pat and wait for the ACC GoR to fall apart...then make their move.

I think this is well reasoned analysis. I think the most likely scenario is the B1G will eventually want 6 teams in the West.

Cal's goal needs to be to not only survive over the next 2-4 years, but to thrive and make ourselves an obvious addition.

Can we do that under our current leadership? This season is huge.

Econ141
calumnus said:

MrGPAC said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

I think this is well reasoned analysis. I think the most likely scenario is the B1G will eventually want 6 teams in the West.

Cal's goal needs to be to not only survive over the next 2-4 years, but to thrive and make ourselves an obvious addition.

The problem with thriving over the next 2-4 years would be doing so without any good recruits coming.

Here is what I still don't get -- if B1G only needs one team to "get" the Bay Area market, how do we leap frog Stanford. Today's comment from their commissioner is a strong indicator that they will be paying athletes ... so the only possible scenario I see us getting in is if Stanford takes the high road and is willing to go independent and not pay players. The big assumption is that Cal would be willing to pay players but that is a big assumption.

So outside of the above, is there any reason to take Cal? Do we just hope and pray that ND stays independent AND Stanford takes the high ground (I doubt they do this -- too much free advertising for their brand in the B1G).
sycasey
fat_slice said:

Here is what I still don't get -- if B1G only needs one team to "get" the Bay Area market, how do we leap frog Stanford. Today's comment from their commissioner is a strong indicator that they will be paying athletes ... so the only possible scenario I see us getting in is if Stanford takes the high road and is willing to go independent and not pay players. The big assumption is that Cal would be willing to pay players but that is a big assumption.

So outside of the above, is there any reason to take Cal? Do we just hope and pray that ND stays independent AND Stanford takes the high ground (I doubt they do this -- too much free advertising for their brand in the B1G).
I think the argument is that you really need both Cal and Stanford to "get" the Bay Area market. Leaving one out leaves the door open for another conference to horn in on the territory.

Plus having two more California teams makes travel and logistics easier for USC and UCLA, and if the B1G wants to burnish their academic brand then there are no better candidates than the Bay Area schools.
Strykur
ND is staying independent, they can get more money from NBC as a tie-in with Big Ten coverage, without being in the Big Ten, and at the same time the Big Ten can get viewership from ND as well, it's the best of both worlds.
Rushinbear
MrGPAC said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

Recruits seem now to be going to the highest bidder within their expectations. That's a big problem when combined with the portal.

The Big could solve that nicely by adopting a scale that applies to all members. The range for incoming fr would be X to X+Y. Each succeeding year, the range goes up for that year's class. This would encourage kids to stay and fight for their positions. Also, it would give everyone the ability to plan, due to stability and predictability. "You wanna go to a Big school? These will be your ranges throughout your career. You wanna try for the max? It's the SEC or a minor conference."

I'll bet Cal could live with that, if invited.

I'm sure this has been thought of. It's too obvious, but I don't remember seeing it. Of course, some broke lawyer could sweet talk a kid's parents into suing for the big bucks, but against the Big? Unlikely. Maybe a restraint of trade?
movielover
When do we go back to the standard 'sit out a year' rule?
Big C
sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

I think the argument is that you really need both Cal and Stanford to "get" the Bay Area market. Leaving one out leaves the door open for another conference to horn in on the territory.

Plus having two more California teams makes travel and logistics easier for USC and UCLA, and if the B1G wants to burnish their academic brand then there are no better candidates than the Bay Area schools.

To me, if the B1G is going to take U$C and (F)UCLA -- which they have, duh -- it makes great sense to add Cal, Furd, UW and Oregon...from so many standpoints: media markets and brands, geographic, academic. Heck, even if Cal doesn't win more, because everybody needs their Washington Generals.
oskidunker
Please, no!
Go Bears!
Econ141
sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

The way someone explained it to me (maybe even buried somewhere in this megathread) is that getting B1G in people's home only requires you to have one school - that justifies them adding on a carriage fe to everyone. There is no need for the second team. So they could "kill" Cal and not have to worry about competition because who then is going to take us? The SEC? The B1G won't have to worry about competition and won't have another mouth to feed as they say. They might as well take another west-ish team like ASU or Utah if they want a 6th.
Unit2Sucks
Rushinbear said:

MrGPAC said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

Recruits seem now to be going to the highest bidder within their expectations. That's a big problem when combined with the portal.

The Big could solve that nicely by adopting a scale that applies to all members. The range for incoming fr would be X to X+Y. Each succeeding year, the range goes up for that year's class. This would encourage kids to stay and fight for their positions. Also, it would give everyone the ability to plan, due to stability and predictability. "You wanna go to a Big school? These will be your ranges throughout your career. You wanna try for the max? It's the SEC or a minor conference."

I'll bet Cal could live with that, if invited.

I'm sure this has been thought of. It's too obvious, but I don't remember seeing it. Of course, some broke lawyer could sweet talk a kid's parents into suing for the big bucks, but against the Big? Unlikely. Maybe a restraint of trade?

I could be wrong but I don't think this flies under anti trust laws. There is no anti trust exemption for college football.
sycasey
fat_slice said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

The way someone explained it to me (maybe even buried somewhere in this megathread) is that getting B1G in people's home only requires you to have one school - that justifies them adding on a carriage fe to everyone. There is no need for the second team. So they could "kill" Cal and not have to worry about competition because who then is going to take us? The SEC? The B1G won't have to worry about competition and won't have another mouth to feed as they say. They might as well take another west-ish team like ASU or Utah if they want a 6th.

The Big 12 probably takes Cal in such a scenario.

Also, I don't see any way they take ASU over Cal. ASU does not fit their academic brand at all.
Econ141
sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

Also, I don't see any way they take ASU over Cal. ASU does not fit their academic brand at all.

On the flip side, there would be no team in MWC or BIG12 that would be anywhere close to the academic brand as Cal. We are really an oddball in a very precarious situation.
sycasey
fat_slice said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

On the flip side, there would be no team in MWC or BIG12 that would be anywhere close to the academic brand as Cal. We are really an oddball in a very precarious situation.

Yes, and no TV market remotely as lucrative as the Bay Area. Other leagues would take us for that reason alone, in the possible future scenario that the B1G and SEC are gobbling up everything.
MrGPAC
fat_slice said:

calumnus said:

MrGPAC said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

The problem with thriving over the next 2-4 years would be doing so without any good recruits coming.

Why would the B1G want Stanford over Cal?

Go back 20 years both teams have been very good and both teams have been very bad over that stretch.

Cal was bigger during its high than Stanford was. Stanford was winning the Pac12 and going to the rose bowl and playing in front of half full stadiums.

Stanford has a fraction of the alumni that Cal does.

Stanford plays in the backyard of the 49ers, the Giants, and the Warriors. Cal plays in the east bay that just had every team leave but the A's, who are actively doing everything they can to leave. You may not trust the Cal admins to capitalize on this situation, but you better believe the heads of the B1G see the opportunity and already have ideas on how to market the new B1G team to all the east ban fans suddenly without a team.

Stanford is on record saying it has no interest in paying players, something the B1G is on record as saying they want to do.

Who are the big names from the last decade from Stanford? Luck, McCaffrey, and Sherman? Cal has Rodgers, Goff, Lynch, DeSean, Allen, Jordan. Who else? I left off super bowl winning Vereen, Anderson and Forsett as everyone from Cal knew who they were, but the casual NFL fan probably didn't. Marvin Jones falls in that camp too minus the super bowl rings.

You wanna go more recent success? Since 2018 Stanford has gone 20-22. Cal has gone 21-21 over that same stretch. This INCLUDES Cal's horendous 2020 season were they played 4 games including 2 with half a team where Stanford went 4-2. This also Includes Stanfords 9-3 year in 2018.

Stanford has a bit of history with Notre Dame. Notre Dame isn't going to the B1G right now, and if they do, I would argue it would mean the end of the ACC, with both the SEC and the B1G raiding the ACC, the Big12, and the Pac12 for what they want expanding to 24-30 teams. And yes, Cal AND Stanford both get invited in that scenario.

BigDaddy
Notre Dame remaining independent improves Cal's chances at B1G membership as it open up a spot on the way to 20. Lot of chatter this week with the Irish remaining an indy that the B1G may add two more teams to get to 18, and then wait on Notre Dame and other ACC schools down the road.

Heard Washington and Stanford as preferred schools as it adds both Seattle and Bay Area markets. USC does not want Oregon in the B1G and is pushing back on it. Could see Cal swapped out for Washington, but Warren would like both West Coast markets.

“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
Econ141
BigDaddy said:

Notre Dame remaining independent improves Cal's chances at B1G membership as it open up a spot on the way to 20. Lot of chatter this week with the Irish remaining an indy that the B1G may add two more teams to get to 18, and then wait on Notre Dame and other ACC schools down the road.

Heard Washington and Stanford as preferred schools as it adds both Seattle and Bay Area markets. USC does not want Oregon in the B1G and is pushing back on it. Could see Cal swapped out for Washington, but Warren would like both West Coast markets.

This makes a ton of strategic sense. Guess we will learn:

1.) How much B1G cares about local communities that will be impacted by potentially splitting cal and Stanford

2.) If Stanford chases football money by giving into paying players (or supporting it by joining B1G even if they don't pay their players).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.