The Latest Rumors

228,832 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
BigDaddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fat_slice said:

We also know why USC and UCLA kept this super top secret. The UC regents would have absolutely destroyed things for them. We just shat ourselves out of B1G with this debacle.

Thanks a lot Newsom- we would have been better off without this display of ineptitude.
Newsom didn't even show up for this meeting. Typical.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
PaulCali
Unit2Sucks said:

Yeah, glad to see we put our best foot forward at the regents meeting. I can only assume we showed a highlight film exclusively from Holmoe's last season and Sonny's first season.
How long must be put up with a total lack of leadership and management acumen from Christ et al?
Econ141
PaulCali said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Yeah, glad to see we put our best foot forward at the regents meeting. I can only assume we showed a highlight film exclusively from Holmoe's last season and Sonny's first season.
How long must be put up with a total lack of leadership and management acumen from Christ et al?

I have no idea why people keep sticking up for her. She is content letting us slide to #2 public uni and has done nothing for athletics beside move debt from one pocket to the other. She and Knowlton should have been getting the regents up to speed and educated on a bunch of this stuff ahead of today's meeting so that they wouldn't embarrass cal any further. They clearly did nothing. 100% passive and rest assured this explains their silence for the last couple months (not that they were working behind the scenes).

I am at a point where I feel Cal football is just hopeless. There is no way this leadership turns around and whatever hope for competence I had is thoroughly shot.

On the bright side, I feel like we now deserve to be demoted to MWC Keep our school and leadership out of the public eye for as long as we can.
calumnus
PaulCali said:

Unit2Sucks said:

As I keep saying, if we are going to be saved, it almost certainly won't be by Christ and Knowlton. Just horrible incompetent leadership for Cal at this critical time in the history of college athletics. And now with "lifetime" contracts.
Econ141
They will be thrilled once we move to D3 to not have to deal with this nonsense.
Tobi
OskiDeLaHoya said:

Has anyone seen this rumor:

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/board/103723/Contents/realignment-mega-thread-fka-texas-oklahoma-reach-out-to-sec-168057492/?page=1599#M191353058

Mod on a Kansas board says according to their source, Cal to B1G is "pretty much a done deal"

I know nothing about the poster's credibility.
August 12 - It's certainly interesting, as is all the follow up discussions... Cal and Cal alone...?

I have long thought that the Big Ten leadership was playing chess in realignment when all the others were playing checkers. That kind of move would be surprising for other conferences, but maybe not for the Big Ten. The breakdowns are similar to the rutgers and maryland additions analysis.

Brett McMurphy naming them, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Miami, and FSU is really some uplifting stuff for cal fans, but it suggests maybe the Big Ten is waiting for the PAC to fall apart so they can step in as rescuers. Ugh.

The mcmurphy thing is also old though, coming july 27th. things change.

why only Cal now? maybe a deal cut with Newsom to have him back off? If cal is in you have to think Stanford will get in. That would have all 4 power CA schools in a major conference. What can you complain about if you are newsom at that point?

I would think Cal is worth less to the PAC than Stanford? Spitballing. Not sure if that is true. if so, maybe the idea of only cal is to hopefully spare the PAC for now?

just guessing based on Newsom's no show. (That also might be him concluding he had a lot less ability to interfere than he thought. Still given his support in the Bay area, one would have expected him to show up and be showy at minimum. He does have Presidential aspirations after all and presumably bay area follks will fund that.)

I kind of have to ask is everything the PAC leadership is doing in TV negotiations a waste of time? Will the conference be around next year?

I can buy the McMurphy rumor as a view into the Big Ten's heads.. Miami and FSU might want to try to legally carve their way out with potential Big Ten money floating out there. Neither school is exactly a cookie cutter Big Ten school. TI had heard about them hiring lawyers to look at the GOR. That makes sense from a get out before the opportunity is lost perspective. (Louisville and the Big 12) And getting into fForida ends the SEC recruiting edge so that has long seemed a Big Ten end goal.. Sucha move would allow the Big Ten to pull in UNC, UVA, and Georgia Tech as well when the ACC GOR is defanged.

Look it does suggest the Big Ten will eventually suck in all the schools it wants and you'll have 3 power conferences, a big ten west , a big ten east, and the SEC, with the Big Ten ultimately driving decisions in major college football.

Econ141

Posted in UCLA Hearing thread as well.

Unmitigated disaster. The UCLA side had all the incentive to be well prepared. The UC Regents had zero incentive and Carol and Knowlton clearly did nothing in the time preceding this to bring the regents up to speed. Shame on Cal.
Econ141
BearGreg said:

I will start by saying that Cal has clearly gotten the message on fans and donor's preferences to be in the B10 and is also exploring other options. They are working with Stanford to see if they can align interests as well.

Should we email Christ and Knowlton again? And ask what exactly they have been doing for the past month after Newsom put UCLA's move on the agenda? Looks like nothing.

So I don't think they got the fans message nor do I think they are working with stanford. They are both just simply useless.
gardenstatebear
fat_slice said:

BearGreg said:

I will start by saying that Cal has clearly gotten the message on fans and donor's preferences to be in the B10 and is also exploring other options. They are working with Stanford to see if they can align interests as well.

Should we email Christ and Knowlton again? And ask what exactly they have been doing for the past month after Newsom put UCLA's move on the agenda? Looks like nothing.

So I don't think they got the fans message nor do I think they are working with stanford. They are both just simply useless
Why do you think they're not working with Stanford when BearGreg says they are?
Econ141
gardenstatebear said:

fat_slice said:

BearGreg said:

So I don't think they got the fans message nor do I think they are working with stanford. They are both just simply useless

I am sure that is the info the mods got. Based on how prepared the regents were for this meeting though it doesn't seem like the admin has their act together. If this was any number of passionate fans running the program, I doubt we would have left things up to chance in this meeting. The regents would have been up to speed and knew what questions to ask. Seems like this was just an introductory meeting on this topic for them.

So if Knowlton and Christ can't do this simple act of die diligence, I have to question what if anything they are doing ... Including partnering with Stanford. They can say anything....what the hell are they actually doing?
PaulCali
fat_slice said:

PaulCali said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I have no idea why people keep sticking up for her. She is content letting us slide to #2 public uni and has done nothing for athletics beside move debt from one pocket to the other. She and Knowlton should have been getting the regents up to speed and educated on a bunch of this stuff ahead of today's meeting so that they wouldn't embarrass cal any further. They clearly did nothing. 100% passive and rest assured this explains their silence for the last couple months (not that they were working behind the scenes).

I am at a point where I feel Cal football is just hopeless. There is no way this leadership turns around and whatever hope for competence I had is thoroughly shot.

On the bright side, I feel like we now deserve to be demoted to MWC Keep our school and leadership out of the public eye for as long as we can.
PaulCali
Trouble is, we couldn't survive on the MWC media rights payout. We'd have to find an alternative funding model for the non-revenue sports.
Unit2Sucks
fat_slice said:

gardenstatebear said:

fat_slice said:

BearGreg said:

what the hell are they actually doing?
Going to go out on a limb here but I would imagine Ms. Christ is focused on running a top flight and quite large academic institution. The start of school is just around the corner and our conference affiliation isn't the only thing on her mind. She's in the middle of a $6B capital campaign, etc. and can't spend all her time on our flagging intercollegiate athletics program.

Now Knowlton - that's a different story. This is his show and he is betting his job on getting this right. Maybe he doesn't care about his job that much, I don't know the guy, but he hasn't covered himself in glory to this point. This story is far more about him than it is about Christ.
sycasey
It's entirely possible that Christ and/or Knowlton dropped the ball on informing the Regents on what's going on, but I think it's also entirely possible that the Regents could be that clueless about college athletics all on their own.
Econ141
sycasey said:

It's entirely possible that Christ and/or Knowlton dropped the ball on informing the Regents on what's going on, but I think it's also entirely possible that the Regents could be that clueless about college athletics all on their own.

Anyone could have told you the regents would be clueless. That's what makes Christ and Knowlton not reaching out to them just that much more dumb! They didn't just drop the ball - they just flat out don't care.
sycasey
fat_slice said:

sycasey said:

Anyone could have told you the regents would be clueless. That's what makes Christ and Knowlton not reaching out to them just that much more dumb! They didn't just drop the ball - they just flat out don't care.
I should be clear: I think it's also possible that they made their best effort to inform the Regents but the Regents still didn't get it.
sosheezy
sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

sycasey said:

I should be clear: I think it's also possible that they made their best effort to inform the Regents but the Regents still didn't get it.
Having worked in City government at 4 cities over the last 20 years, as staff you can write the best reports, give detailed briefings, but elected (or appointed officials) will still vary widely in their comprehension of the topic and/or insist on asking their stupid questions when it comes to the public meeting.
Oski87
sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

sycasey said:

The regents think of this as a more pumped up version of high school sports and have no understanding of the issue at all. It is really stupid. None of them came from football factories, for example. Cal and UCLA are football factories to them....let that sink in.
Econ141
sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

sycasey said:

Fine - but what precedence have they given you to warrant your giving them the benefit of the doubt?

Stadium debt move was a while ago - what have they done more recently and especially in this sea change environmentgoing on now, that you feel they deserve more patience/ leeway?
sycasey
fat_slice said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

sycasey said:

Fine - but what precedence have they given you to warrant your giving them the benefit of the doubt?
Nothing. I'm simply holding likely possibilities open in my mind.
GMP
sycasey said:

It's also entirely possible that reporters like Mandel are misreporting, likely unintentionally. For example, summation reporting like this:

...should give anyone pause. What's he basing this on? What was said? Which regent? Etc. This is lazy reporting and it's making people freak out.
sycasey
GMP said:

sycasey said:

It's also entirely possible that reporters like Mandel are misreporting, likely unintentionally. For example, summation reporting like this:

...should give anyone pause. What's he basing this on? What was said? Which regent? Etc. This is lazy reporting and it's making people freak out.
Another possibility we should consider is that the Regents are doing a bit of a dog-and-pony show for the cameras and will be doing the REAL inquiry behind closed doors.
gardenstatebear
sycasey said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

Another possibility we should consider is that the Regents are doing a bit of a dog-and-pony show for the cameras and will be doing the REAL inquiry behind closed doors.
That's a real possibility. The Regents followed the open meeting with an executive session. That's where litigation gets discussed -- and any meaningful action is going to involve at least the risk of litigation.
Dgoldnbaer
You & I are in that 'great minds think alike' mindset. Would love to meet up and buy each other a few beers one day. We'd be nodding our heads and having a great time sharing our perspective on Cal athletics and the ongoing disenchantment w/Crist & Knowlton.
Econ141
Dgoldnbaer said:

You & I are in that 'great minds think alike' mindset. Would love to meet up and buy each other a few beers one day. We'd be nodding our heads and having a great time sharing our perspective on Cal athletics and the ongoing disenchantment w/Crist & Knowlton.

Deal - alcohol is a must when watching or discussing cal football.
Dgoldnbaer
When was your era in school? I was there in mid - late '70's. Rec'd my degree in 6/78. And your current football seats?
philbert
for those not reading the LA meeting thread

Econ141
Dgoldnbaer said:

When was your era in school? I was there in mid - late '70's. Rec'd my degree in 6/78. And your current football seats?

I graduated in '97 ... Gave up my season tickets after my son was born in 2019. I will be going to most (hoping to all) home conference games.
Dgoldnbaer
I'm in same boat re; going to most conference games. I'm not going to the Davis game for same reason I missed Sac St. game last year but I'll most likely attend the UNLV game. Maybe we'll hookup after a game.
Bobodeluxe
Get a room.
eastcoastcal
BearBoarBlarney
eastcoastcal said:

Translation: my name is Jason Scheer, and I know absolutely nothing.
Econ141
eastcoastcal said:

Need to gain clarity fast:

eastcoastcal
fat_slice said:

eastcoastcal said:

this one absolutely sucks. I had a convo with RJ a few weeks ago. super nice guy and he has gone out of his way to help recruit on twitter for many months now. wings are falling off the plane. this is awful.
dimitrig
eastcoastcal said:

fat_slice said:

eastcoastcal said:

this one absolutely sucks. I had a convo with RJ a few weeks ago. super nice guy and he has gone out of his way to help recruit on twitter for many months now. wings are falling off the plane. this is awful.

Maybe he will change his mind, but I don't blame recruits for not wanting to commit with all the uncertainty right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.