The Latest Rumors

228,945 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RayofLight said:

BearSD said:

gardenstatebear said:

Just wanted to mention that stadium project seemed to make a lot of sense at the time. Cal football and basketball were on the upswing under Jeff Tedford and Ben Braun respectively. As I remember, there was an academic component involving the expansion of the Haas business school and (I think) the law school. But the financing did not work out, and so here we are.
The financing would have to have been in place for the project to make sense.

Because the financing didn't make sense, the result was an expensive project that didn't even touch the eastern half of CMS, and an obscene amount of money was borrowed with no realistic way of paying it back.

Without realistic financing, the project was just a foolish mistake.

There was no world where Memorial wasn't going to be renovated. The question was whether it would be renovated and repurposed, and a new smaller stadium built, or whether it would be renovated for sports.

The University is always strapped for land, and for once did the things that alumni begged for despite it being the costlier option, which was stick with tradition and keep Memorial the home for football.

We could have done the seismic retrofit and renovation for MUCH less. The SAHPC could have been built elsewhere for much less if it was not underground and even could have had a dedicated basketball practice facility on top.

Water under the bridge now.
gardenstatebear
RayofLight said:

BearSD said:

gardenstatebear said:

Just wanted to mention that stadium project seemed to make a lot of sense at the time. Cal football and basketball were on the upswing under Jeff Tedford and Ben Braun respectively. As I remember, there was an academic component involving the expansion of the Haas business school and (I think) the law school. But the financing did not work out, and so here we are.

Because the financing didn't make sense, the result was an expensive project that didn't even touch the eastern half of CMS, and an obscene amount of money was borrowed with no realistic way of paying it back.

There was no world where Memorial wasn't going to be renovated. The question was whether it would be renovated and repurposed, and a new smaller stadium built, or whether it would be renovated for sports.

The University is always strapped for land, and for once did the things that alumni begged for despite it being the costlier option, which was stick with tradition and keep Memorial the home for football.
You really think that building a new stadium (where?) and "repurposing" Memorial (for what?) would have been cheaper?
BearlyCareAnymore
calfanz said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

Breaking: UC Regents agree to let UCLA go with a possible $2-5 million subsidy once new media deal is finalized. Money is to go to student/athlete support programs.

Less subsidy/tax than I thought but completely in line with what I thought and said would happen.
Yeah, letting UCLA go with some kind of subsidy (depending on the media deal) seemed like the most likely outcome.
I guarantee you it won't take long before they are humiliating us over the fact that they are subsidizing our athletics.
If you barely care why have you posted >10,000 words in the last week?

Barely care about Cal sports. Very much care about Cal and how the mismanagement of Cal sports has moved from just damaging Cal sports to damaging the actual university. And believe me I understand that there is a tiny, tiny percentage of alums who make up an outsized percentage here who just want to win at any cost (which won't happen no matter what we pay) and don't want anyone to bring up the fact that Cal athletics is losing an egregious amount of money.

I suggest if you have an extra $95m lying around and you care so much, fork it over and stop asking taxpayers and indirectly students to pay for your hobby.
Big Dog
BearlyCareAnymore said:

calfanz said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

Breaking: UC Regents agree to let UCLA go with a possible $2-5 million subsidy once new media deal is finalized. Money is to go to student/athlete support programs.

Less subsidy/tax than I thought but completely in line with what I thought and said would happen.
Yeah, letting UCLA go with some kind of subsidy (depending on the media deal) seemed like the most likely outcome.
I guarantee you it won't take long before they are humiliating us over the fact that they are subsidizing our athletics.

Barely care about Cal sports. Very much care about Cal and how the mismanagement of Cal sports has moved from just damaging Cal sports to damaging the actual university. And believe me I understand that there is a tiny, tiny percentage of alums who make up an outsized percentage here who just want to win at any cost (which won't happen no matter what we pay) and don't want anyone to bring up the fact that Cal athletics is losing an egregious amount of money.

You do understand that winning in the Revenue sports will help reduce that debt; in contrast, losing will only make it worse?

Golden One
philbert said:

Wilner is his story says it will be an annual subsidy.

Separately, the regents agreed to consider a potential annual subsidy for Cal, which stands to lose media revenue because of UCLA's departure from the Pac-12.
The approved range for a subsidy is $2 million to $10 million, with the exact figure based "on the best available information on projected revenues for both campuses."
A final decision on what the regents described as "a contribution by UCLA to the Berkeley campus" will be made once the Pac-12 finalizes its media-rights deal.

I don't know where Wilner is getting that. The action item passed by the Regents clearly does not call for an annual payment, nor was the word "annual" mentioned in the brief discussion the Regents had prior to the vote.
movielover
wifeisafurd said:

movielover said:

Who gets credit for that CMS financing plan? Sandy Barbour and Teresa Gould?
The plan was developed and implemented by then Cal CFO Nathan Brostrom, now a Chancellor at another UC.

Typical for government. A ranking employee fails miserably, and gets a big promotion.

There had to be other options beyond spending $400M plus interest.
HoopDreams
per espn:

As part of the board's decision, UCLA will have to increase its expected investment in student-athlete resources and might have to provide a subsidy to the University of California, Berkeley in the range of $2 million to $10 million once a Pac-12 media deal is secured, depending on the amount of the deal. A UCOP spokesperson said the frequency of the subsidy to UC Berkeley is yet to be determined.
BearlyCareAnymore
Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

calfanz said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

You do understand that winning in the Revenue sports will help reduce that debt; in contrast, losing will only make it worse?

You do realize that everyone is trying to win and spending more money doesn't mean you win. For god's sake you guys say the same thing for 50 years. Throw more money at it, Cal will stop being Cal, we will win, and we will be profitable. What we have done is spent a lot more money than we used to and lost a lot more than we used to.

What is the dollar amount we can spend, still lose, and your solution won't be to spend more. $200M? $1 billion? Seriously we are losing astronomical amounts and not winning. Where is the limit?

We can cut football in half and not lose more. We can literally spend zero on basketball and not lose more.

TV money is going to drop precipitously. Attendance has dropped up and down the coast and in most cases, including our most analogous school, UCLA, winning hasn't solved it.

movielover
Changing demographics = unintended consequences. Baby boomers aging, moving, dying.

I've wondered in past years and with many schools, when the coach wants a big heyday, let him go and bring along a young promising buck or an older, doesn't-need-to-break-the-bank coach on a 3 year deal.

The coach may be a gamble, like any hire. But the mammoth salary stays. It's set in stone. U$C can afford it, many can't.

BTW, what is the complete, current ICA debt?
Big Dog
BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

calfanz said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

You do realize that everyone is trying to win and spending more money doesn't mean you win. For god's sake you guys say the same thing for 50 years. Throw more money at it, Cal will stop being Cal, we will win, and we will be profitable. What we have done is spent a lot more money than we used to and lost a lot more than we used to.

What is the dollar amount we can spend, still lose, and your solution won't be to spend more. $200M? $1 billion? Seriously we are losing astronomical amounts and not winning. Where is the limit?

We can cut football in half and not lose more. We can literally spend zero on basketball and not lose more.

TV money is going to drop precipitously. Attendance has dropped up and down the coast and in most cases, including our most analogous school, UCLA, winning hasn't solved it.

Actually, TV money is not gonna drop "precipitously" from last year. The current Larry Scott pac deal is crap, so the new p10 deal may even be an increase over current money. (But yeah, $$ may drop precipitously from what was hoped with a new p12 deal including the SoCal schools.)

Football makes money. (It could make more.). The Stadium retrofit is a sunk cost. The only way to lessen the pain of the bill is to put more butts in the seats of the Rev sports, i.e., become competitive. (Attendance drops bcos we have a non-competitive team on the field/court.)

But we could still lose less overall by eliminating some non-rev sports. UCLA offers 25 to our 30.

Private and rich Stanford* has 36;, but USC only funds 21. U-Dub ~20; Oregon has 18.

But if you don't want to compete for league titles, we could also lose less by just hiring up and coming young coaches on the cheap. No reason to guarantee millions.

(numbers approximate based on quick google search)

*Stanford loves to win the Director's Cup, but even so, current Prez has indicated an interest in cutting their non-rev sports.
WalterSobchak
Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

calfanz said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

Football makes money

Football makes money
Football makes money
Football makes money
Football makes money
BearlyCareAnymore
Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

calfanz said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

Actually, TV money is not gonna drop "precipitously" from last year. The current Larry Scott pac deal is crap, so the new p10 deal may even be an increase over current money. (But yeah, $$ may drop precipitously from what was hoped with a new p12 deal including the SoCal schools.)

Football makes money. (It could make more.). The Stadium retrofit is a sunk cost. The only way to lessen the pain of the bill is to put more butts in the seats of the Rev sports, i.e., become competitive. (Attendance drops bcos we have a non-competitive team on the field/court.)

But we could still lose less overall by eliminating some non-rev sports. UCLA offers 25 to our 30.

Private and rich Stanford* has 36;, but USC only funds 21. U-Dub ~20; Oregon has 18.

But if you don't want to compete for league titles, we could also lose less by just hiring up and coming young coaches on the cheap. No reason to guarantee millions.

*Stanford loves to win the Director's Cup, but even so, current Prez has indicated an interest in cutting their non-rev sports.

We agree on a lot. Disagree on some.

1. I have been saying for decades that Cal needs to cut sports. Frankly, more than 5. Every sport should be required to be self sufficient and in the case of men's sports, that means funding whatever women's sports need to be funded to fulfill the Title IX obligations created by that sport. I could see an exception if the sport is bringing some prestige value to the university (like swimming) but I believe all sports that would qualify for that are also self funding.

2.Cal should be hiring up and coming coaches on the cheap. They used to do that with mixed results. They now pay more with worse results. They also have to stop being taken for a ride on extensions. I am not a Wilcox hater, but I don't believe he is worth what we pay him either to us or on the open market. He did not earn the extension he received. There was simply no reason to pay him more or increase our commitment to him. If he can go get more somewhere else, let him go.

3. Regarding "Football makes money", I agree, but that isn't as obvious as it sounds. I'm sorry, you can't just say the stadium is sunk cost and pretend like that cost doesn't exist. Athletics already attributes a fair amount of the cost of the SAHPC to athletics generally. Pretty much everything the university is paying was only spent because of football. If you add that in, on paper football is at best breaking even. Now, I there is money attributed on the non-specific program category, both in revenue and expenses, that I think is probably really football, and I would bet a lot more on the revenue side than expense. So yes. Football makes money. But, football is not making the gobs of money people think, and there is simply nothing in our history that says that under any circumstances you can make Cal football earn the $30M more than it already makes that it would have to in order to wipe out the ever growing deficits. In the last non-Covid year reported, Cal's ticket sales were $6.5M and its direct contributions were $1.6M+. Nonspecific contributions were a little less than $6.8M and I'm willing to attribute all of that to football for argument's sake (because most of it probably is attributed to football). If you look at our historical numbers, you can maybe make a really bad argument that Cal could maybe squeak another $12M if we duplicated the Tedford years. That would be an argument that ignores the fact that ticket sales and contributions are down everywhere over the last decade, even more on the west coast, and winning at Stanford didn't make a dent in the problem there nor did it at UCLA.

4. Let's be clear, I agree that athletic department resources (whatever those should be) should be devoted first and foremost to football because nothing else, including basketball, is going to make a difference.

5. That said, it is absolutely not clear that spending more on football is going to yield higher profits. Spending $50M to make $55M is not better than spending $40M to make $50M. There is a point for every school where they have maximized your net gain. I'm going to invent a term here to draw an analogy to the the stadium cost. Sunk revenue. Just like the debt isn't going to change no matter what Cal does, about 2/3 of the football revenue isn't going to change because it is in things that aren't impacted by performance - conference payouts, media rights, existing endowments, etc. Cal gets that money by showing up. There is maybe $15M in revenue, (maybe you can squeeze that number to $20M depending on some of the non specific categories) that are not "sunk revenue". There is only so much Cal can increase that, and it isn't $30M. So the question isn't whether football is making money. It is whether spending another $1M in a certain way will lead to $1M + $1 in revenue. Depends on what you spend it for. I'm going to tell you right now that Wilcox's salary is not paying for itself. Cal easily could have paid $3M for head coach and have it not impact revenue whatsoever. And when you look at the financial statements we ARE increasing expenses toward football (not including debt service) and the non "sunk revenue" is going down. I'm not convinced that spending more money, the way Cal is going to spend it is going to lead to a net increase in revenue. And that became harder when they extended Wilcox.

6. That is not to say football is the primary problem. It just isn't the panacea solution some thing it is. Cal can't close $30M deficits by just investing in football. There needs to be significant cost cutting.

7. And ultimately, I don't care how they do it. If they cut every sport but required conference sports, fine. If they can make $100M in revenue from Fortnite, fine by me. $20M checks from the campus have got to stop. They need to spend better, not more.
calfanz
They don't actually get money from the Campus. They have debt relieved in the form of out of state tuition. I'm certain if they didnt bill us for the tuition or cut it to instate tuition, the dollars would look far different without any monies actually changing hands.
movielover
6. Have you ever looked at the salaries for the Associate and Assistant ADs / administrators / staff?

The top dozen or so pull generally between $150 - $250,000 per year, based on 2021 figures from Transparent California.
BearlyCareAnymore
calfanz said:

They don't actually get money from the Campus. They have debt relieved in the form of out of state tuition. I'm certain if they didnt bill us for the tuition or cut it to instate tuition, the dollars would look far different without any monies actually changing hands.
1. Yes they do.

2. If you take the amount football is charged on the actual athletics financial statement for "athletic student aid", which is the only line item that scholarships could fall under, divide by 85, it is pretty much bang on the cost of attendance for an in state student, which includes on campus housing, health insurance and some personal expenses, all of which would be included in the cost of a scholarship. Same is true for men's and women's basketball. Whatever is being reported or whatever is actually done behind the scenes, the amount attributed to football expense on the financial statements is not out of state tuition

3. If football were charged out of state tuition for every scholarship, it would be an additional $2.6M. That wouldn't be fair, but it wouldn't be causing the bulk of the issue. Again, there is no line item on the financial statements that could possibly be charging that tuition to football.
philly1121
Ok, so the dust is settling. UCLA is leaving. Subsidy amount is between $2-10 mil. Up in the air as to whether its one time or annually. If I were UCLA I would be howling if it was annually. Its likely a one-time payment.

REGARDLESS...the situation is now before each of the Pac10 members to figure things out. However much the new media deal is/will be, it will be less than with UCLA and USC in the conference. So we know its not going to be as high as we want.

Admin needs to look at 3 things: conference realignment, NIL and non-revenue sports. And they need to look at these things from a 1-2 year window.

For conference realignment, three conferences are going to be on the move: the P10, the Mountain West and the Big12. Set aside the B10 for a moment. From my perspective:

P10: lost two, need two.
MW: may be losing teams
Big12: losing OK State and Texas. Need two. But may be losing 1-2 teams in the future.

NIL: we need to take the approach that the 4-5 year plans that we seem to be giving coaches is just not how things should be done anymore. NIL has taken the "win now" approach to a different level. Our perspective should be that we need to offer an attractive enough package to be able to recruit "need" players. We have the facilities. We have the stadium. But we do not offer a winning team. If we offer a package that is good enough to overcome other intangibles, we could see more immediate success. This certainly plays a role conference realignment as we could look more attractive to potential suitors.

Non-revenue sports: since we are likely to earn not nearly as much as we would have if USC and UCLA were with us, then how does this impact non-revenue sports? Is Admin prepared for this? Are we now in a situation where we have to cut programs? Surely our situation cannot be far off of UCLA's situation in terms of budgetary issues. This must be addressed now.

In all, Admin needs to be prepared for the next round of realignment. They need to decide where they want this program to go. Go higher? Status quo? Or are we just not going to play this NIL game and drop down. Ultimately, we need immediate success now. We needed it this year - it didn't happen. We need it next year if only for the purposes of making the look of our program better and the related revenue that brings.
WalterSobchak
Big Dog said:

socaltownie said:

Big Dog said:

socaltownie said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

UCLA's deficit does not dwarf Cal's anywhere but on a balance sheet. That is clear. If UCLA had paid $83M to athletics out of the general fund like Cal did the last three years, their deficit over that time period would be $19M and ours would be $12.5. (I'm hoping that "other operating revenue" for Cal means an anonymous donor bailed us out, in which case, hey, that $17M is fair to call revenue. Just can't expect it again)
This is just ridiculous. The Ucla deficit is discretionary spending. The Cal deficit is primarily debt service on campus infrastructure. CMS isn't going anywhere. It's a National Historic Register building. If it's there, it has to be used for something. If it has to be occupied by people it has to be safe. If it's going to be used it might as well be used for its intended purpose. Ucla doesn't have to spend millions per year on gourmet catered food. Cal had no choice but to retrofit CMS.
This is true. Absent the retrofit the campus would have eventually needed to somehow TRY to demonlish it....as you point out it is a NHR building so it would have been significantly difficult.
Negative. NHR is not an ironclad prohibition.

The NHR would require UC to jump thru a couple of extra hoops in CA (for alternative uses), but demolishment of a seismically unsafe stadium would not have been that difficult (as there are no alternative uses).

Look at it this way: if UC really was prohibited from demolishing CMS, the Athletic Dept could have just held out and forced UC to fix it in accordance with State seismic safety laws.

LOL. Maybe in YOUR berg. I can tell you in San Diego (and I would imagine Berkeley is MUCH worse) the challenges would be ridiculous. Yes. UC land. Berkeley, however, would surely need to issue a demolition permit and a host of other regulatory acts, opening that discretionary action open to litigation and delay.

If you want "fun" google "California Theater" to see how much that desgination can gum up the works.
And that's bcos Theaters can have alternate uses. UCI, for example, uses a neighborhood theater for a classroom during the day.

Crumbling stadium walls that do not meet CA seismic laws, do not have any alternative use but to hold up the stands. And I can guarantee you, if Cal wanted to play football at the Coliseum or anywhere else, the locals would have rejoiced and helped pay for the demo permits. (They would have objected to anything being built on that land, but not the demo itself.)

btw: are you referencing the one in San Bernardino?
This grossly oversimplifies and largely misstates what is required during "alternatives analysis" under CEQA. It also very likely miscalculates the appetite for objections to the demolition.
BearlyCareAnymore
philly1121 said:

Ok, so the dust is settling. UCLA is leaving. Subsidy amount is between $2-10 mil. Up in the air as to whether its one time or annually. If I were UCLA I would be howling if it was annually. Its likely a one-time payment.

REGARDLESS...the situation is now before each of the Pac10 members to figure things out. However much the new media deal is/will be, it will be less than with UCLA and USC in the conference. So we know its not going to be as high as we want.

Admin needs to look at 3 things: conference realignment, NIL and non-revenue sports. And they need to look at these things from a 1-2 year window.

For conference realignment, three conferences are going to be on the move: the P10, the Mountain West and the Big12. Set aside the B10 for a moment. From my perspective:

P10: lost two, need two.
MW: may be losing teams
Big12: losing OK State and Texas. Need two. But may be losing 1-2 teams in the future.

NIL: we need to take the approach that the 4-5 year plans that we seem to be giving coaches is just not how things should be done anymore. NIL has taken the "win now" approach to a different level. Our perspective should be that we need to offer an attractive enough package to be able to recruit "need" players. We have the facilities. We have the stadium. But we do not offer a winning team. If we offer a package that is good enough to overcome other intangibles, we could see more immediate success. This certainly plays a role conference realignment as we could look more attractive to potential suitors.

Non-revenue sports: since we are likely to earn not nearly as much as we would have if USC and UCLA were with us, then how does this impact non-revenue sports? Is Admin prepared for this? Are we now in a situation where we have to cut programs? Surely our situation cannot be far off of UCLA's situation in terms of budgetary issues. This must be addressed now.

In all, Admin needs to be prepared for the next round of realignment. They need to decide where they want this program to go. Go higher? Status quo? Or are we just not going to play this NIL game and drop down. Ultimately, we need immediate success now. We needed it this year - it didn't happen. We need it next year if only for the purposes of making the look of our program better and the related revenue that brings.
This is the key. They need to have a coherent plan and they need to understand that revenue is going to be harder to come by. My biggest concerns are the mixed signals that are being sent. We give Knowlton a bizarre extension at a much higher price than necessary. We give Wilcox an extension at a much higher price than necessary that locks us in well into the future. We extend Fox for a year based on Covid when it should have been obvious there was at least a good chance we were going to need to fire him this year.

But then we have all these statements essentially implying that NIL sucks and we can't or won't compete in that game.

There will be no point paying Wilcox or any other football coach millions of dollars if you won't do NIL. Frankly, you'd be better off paying someone $2M a year and putting $3M in NIL. But this is Tosh all over again. You can't spend $300M on football and then not spend $300K to save your recruiting class. At that point, there was no point spending the $300M. Decide what you want to be. And that goes for donors also. If Cal is going to compete at this level, they need facilities (they pretty much did that already), they need an endowment for coaches that is competitive, and with no disrespect to those who contribute who I really appreciate, selling football cards isn't going to cut it. Donors need a large endowment fund for NIL.

And if you aren't going to do that, cut your coaching salaries by 1/3, cut the cost of admin support staff (Cal $22M for 30 sports, Davis $6M for 25 sports) in half, and cut several sports. I'll say it again. Cal is spending the maximum amount it can and still lose. You need to fully fund everything in football, or you might as well fully fund nothing. We've basically done the equivalent of buying a car, but asking if we can get a 5% discount if they just put a golf care engine in it. Pay for the car or buy a golf cart. One or the other.
concordtom
gardenstatebear said:

RayofLight said:

BearSD said:

gardenstatebear said:

You really think that building a new stadium (where?) and "repurposing" Memorial (for what?) would have been cheaper?

They could have moved it off the fault line. Put it up by Tilden Park!
Install a gondola to transport people up and down, each car equipped with a full bar.
That could have made a lot of money!
HoopDreams
how do those schools comply with Title 9?

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

calfanz said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

movielover
Dan Hawkins is a proven coach and makes 1/20th of what Wilcox makes.
Big Dog
HoopDreams said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

calfanz said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

It's complicated. (Cal uses prong 3. And that means for Cal to balance its budget, some men's non-Rev teams need to go first.)

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2022/06/03/title-ix-failures-50-years-colleges-women-lack-representation/9664260002/
oskidunker
What are the chances that thePac12 network goes away?
Go Bears!
sycasey
oskidunker said:

Very likely. Though it was also likely even before the LA schools bolted.
wifeisafurd
BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

calfanz said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

1. I have been saying for decades that Cal needs to cut sports. Frankly, more than 5. Every sport should be required to be self sufficient and in the case of men's sports, that means funding whatever women's sports need to be funded to fulfill the Title IX obligations created by that sport. I could see an exception if the sport is bringing some prestige value to the university (like swimming) but I believe all sports that would qualify for that are also self funding.

2.Cal should be hiring up and coming coaches on the cheap. They used to do that with mixed results. They now pay more with worse results. They also have to stop being taken for a ride on extensions. I am not a Wilcox hater, but I don't believe he is worth what we pay him either to us or on the open market. He did not earn the extension he received. There was simply no reason to pay him more or increase our commitment to him. If he can go get more somewhere else, let him go.

3. Regarding "Football makes money", I agree, but that isn't as obvious as it sounds. I'm sorry, you can't just say the stadium is sunk cost and pretend like that cost doesn't exist. Athletics already attributes a fair amount of the cost of the SAHPC to athletics generally. Pretty much everything the university is paying was only spent because of football. If you add that in, on paper football is at best breaking even. Now, I there is money attributed on the non-specific program category, both in revenue and expenses, that I think is probably really football, and I would bet a lot more on the revenue side than expense. So yes. Football makes money. But, football is not making the gobs of money people think, and there is simply nothing in our history that says that under any circumstances you can make Cal football earn the $30M more than it already makes that it would have to in order to wipe out the ever growing deficits. In the last non-Covid year reported, Cal's ticket sales were $6.5M and its direct contributions were $1.6M+. Nonspecific contributions were a little less than $6.8M and I'm willing to attribute all of that to football for argument's sake (because most of it probably is attributed to football). If you look at our historical numbers, you can maybe make a really bad argument that Cal could maybe squeak another $12M if we duplicated the Tedford years. That would be an argument that ignores the fact that ticket sales and contributions are down everywhere over the last decade, even more on the west coast, and winning at Stanford didn't make a dent in the problem there nor did it at UCLA.

4. Let's be clear, I agree that athletic department resources (whatever those should be) should be devoted first and foremost to football because nothing else, including basketball, is going to make a difference.

5. That said, it is absolutely not clear that spending more on football is going to yield higher profits. Spending $50M to make $55M is not better than spending $40M to make $50M. There is a point for every school where they have maximized your net gain. I'm going to invent a term here to draw an analogy to the the stadium cost. Sunk revenue. Just like the debt isn't going to change no matter what Cal does, about 2/3 of the football revenue isn't going to change because it is in things that aren't impacted by performance - conference payouts, media rights, existing endowments, etc. Cal gets that money by showing up. There is maybe $15M in revenue, (maybe you can squeeze that number to $20M depending on some of the non specific categories) that are not "sunk revenue". There is only so much Cal can increase that, and it isn't $30M. So the question isn't whether football is making money. It is whether spending another $1M in a certain way will lead to $1M + $1 in revenue. Depends on what you spend it for. I'm going to tell you right now that Wilcox's salary is not paying for itself. Cal easily could have paid $3M for head coach and have it not impact revenue whatsoever. And when you look at the financial statements we ARE increasing expenses toward football (not including debt service) and the non "sunk revenue" is going down. I'm not convinced that spending more money, the way Cal is going to spend it is going to lead to a net increase in revenue. And that became harder when they extended Wilcox.

6. That is not to say football is the primary problem. It just isn't the panacea solution some thing it is. Cal can't close $30M deficits by just investing in football. There needs to be significant cost cutting.

7. And ultimately, I don't care how they do it. If they cut every sport but required conference sports, fine. If they can make $100M in revenue from Fortnite, fine by me. $20M checks from the campus have got to stop. They need to spend better, not more.
This is a theoretical discussion about football, and a fairly naive one. The reality is that donors will be moving their money towards NIL or directed funds to be able to fund competitive teams and pay coaches, which removes a large potion of discretionary funding away from athletic departments. How much coaches and players make will be donor driven. Then there is the NLRLB and Penn State cases which will turn football players into employees for many schools and ultimately most experts think collective bargaining, which means a huge change in income moving from athletic departments to players.

The current model is that football funds deficits in other non-revenue sports. All these sports help fund students and school overhead. A school like Cal would have to fund 500 to 600 students every year and also have to pay for a bunch of overhead that they take out in fees from every donation to sports, which means the concept about deficits is insanely naive because the school ends up net losing money way above the deficits if sports go away, and then there is the inability to attract donors to campus for sporting events or the school to get its brand out there. But that model starts falling apart when a significant amount of money goes to pay players in a competitive bargaining environment.

tequila4kapp
sycasey said:

oskidunker said:

Very likely. Though it was also likely even before the LA schools bolted.
Not necessarily. It is reported that Amazon doesn't have production capabilities (eg TNF is produced by the NFL). It's entirely possible a deal with the P12 requires the network to persist and the league even sells it - whole or in part - to Amazon.
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

calfanz said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

This is a theoretical discussion about football, and a fairly naive one. The reality is that donors will be moving their money towards NIL or directed funds to be able to fund competitive teams and pay coaches, which removes a large potion of discretionary funding away from athletic departments. How much coaches and players make will be donor driven. Then there is the NLRLB and Penn State cases which will turn football players into employees for many schools and ultimately most experts think collective bargaining, which means a huge change in income moving from athletic departments to players.

The current model is that football funds deficits in other non-revenue sports. All these sports help fund students and school overhead. A school like Cal would have to fund 500 to 600 students every year and also have to pay for a bunch of overhead that they take out in fees from every donation to sports, which means the concept about deficits is insanely naive because the school ends up net losing money way above the deficits if sports go away, and then there is the inability to attract donors to campus for sporting events or the school to get its brand out there. But that model starts falling apart when a significant amount of money goes to pay players in a competitive bargaining environment.

The concept of the money just being there because people think that football just makes a lot of money and drives a lot of donations so we just ignore numbers is naive. Football DOES make a lot of money and DOES drive a lot of donations, but what does "a lot" mean.

1. Cal does not need football to get its brand out there. Most of its peers do not use football to get its brand out there. The number of kids who go to Cal because they heard of Cal through football is so small to be irrelevant. (not that I don't see the benefit. I do)

2. When the campus is putting in $5M a year on sports, I'm not disputing the claim that we lose more "if sports go away". At $30M+, I'm sorry, but someone is going to have to actually show some numbers for that. The year before Cal opened the stadium, total donations for sports was $13M. The year the stadium opened it was $26M, I assume because of the required donations to get most season tickets. Since then it has dropped every year until it is at $15M now. (It is actually at $12M, but $15M is the last non Covid year reported so I think that is the most fair year to look at right now). Sports other than football and basketball lost $27M in 2019 and that does not include $19M in athletic department administration (which is in addition to the football and basketball admin expense). Total donations INCLUDING FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL were $15M. I'm struggling to see how cutting a bunch of unpopular sports, that alums don't fund, that alums don't go to, is going to lead to a net loss other than that is what some athletic administrators who don't want to lose their jobs say when this comes up. Quite frankly, if you cut everything but the conference required sports, the numbers scream that you would save a lot of money. (and to be clear, you shouldn't do that because there are some sports that would be a net loss to cut. Which points out all the more that the other sports are a huge drag)

3. The overhead argument just doesn't account for any significant part of the losses. Cal funds a majority of the student's cost through tuition, very little of which on average is funded by Cal. The amount of athletic donations offsetting that is a fraction. The amount of athletic donations funding the overhead for those students that come from unpopular, unfunded sports is basically zero. The funds that those sports are putting in are not even funding the basic administration and costs of the team, let alone the students on the team.

4. I never said to cut football and your comments about alums directing funds is exactly what I said should happen. If students value sports, they should voluntarily vote for an added fee on their tuition. If alums value sports, they should donate. My argument from the beginning has been that our students and alums just do not value sports, at least not with their money, like other programs do, and they either need to step up, or we need to plan accordingly. In 2019, football had $2.6M in donations. There were $7.3M in non-directed donations to the athletic department. So if ALL of that gets directed to coaches salary and NIL, and another few million in endowment income. Even if all of that is applied to football, it isn't close to cutting it. (Barely covers the current coaching costs). So the whales need to step up or this isn't going anywhere. And your comments about competitive bargaining are spot on and is part of what I'm saying. People here are assuming that it is like it was in 2001 and ignore that the landscape has already changed dramatically and is going to change even more. And worse, Cal locking us in to Wilcox and Knowlton's contracts when they didn't need to do it further limits Cal's ability to nimbly respond to whatever happens.

5. The bottom line is the campus can't keep throwing checks at sports and they have warned the sports and alums about this for 15 years. If alums want this to happen, they need to step up. If they don't, hell, that is fine, but you can't expect students and taxpayers to keep paying for it. If no one wants to pay for it, we have our answer. If no one is willing to put up the dollars for a sport, who are we doing it for? The university has been hitting this drumbeat for years, and now they are explicitly calling out things like NIL. They are giving the message loud and clear. Alums need to respond. I just don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong.

6. When we are talking about this level of losses, it is no longer acceptable to put out subjective statements about general economic benefit. If general fund donations are tied to football, show it. At least with some analysis. If it is offsetting other university costs, show it. I'm going to be quite frank. I don't believe Cal and UCLA would put out public statements that make sports look in more financial dire straits than they are.

7. And my general point was primarily that the view that football can just fix everything just doesn't cut it when you look at the numbers. It can't. And the future will only make that harder.
sycasey
I don't see any way around the conclusion that Cal needs to cut a bunch of non-revenue sports (or force them to become self-funding, which is basically the same thing).
Big Dog
"All these sports help fund students and school overhead."

How much overhead, even if it's an educated guess? (Besides facilities, such CMS & Haas which are sunk costs but real cash payments.)

"A school like Cal would have to fund 500 to 600 students every year and also have to pay for a bunch of overhead that they take out in fees from every donation to sports, which means the concept about deficits is insanely naive because the school ends up net losing money way above the deficits if sports go away, and then there is the inability to attract donors to campus for sporting events or the school to get its brand out there. But that model starts falling apart when a significant amount of money goes to pay players in a competitive bargaining environment. "

Could you explain how eliminating D1 sports and the Athletic Department means "A school like Cal would have to fund 500 to 600 students every year"..? Funding in what regard?

Yes, the Chancellor has to weigh the elimination of a sport (or two or three) against future donations. (Which are likely declining with the incompetence of the Admin and success on the field/court.)

HoopDreams
Big Dog said:

HoopDreams said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

calfanz said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

It's complicated. (Cal uses prong 3. And that means for Cal to balance its budget, some men's non-Rev teams need to go first.)

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2022/06/03/title-ix-failures-50-years-colleges-women-lack-representation/9664260002/
thanks, but my question is how do these OTHER schools comply with Title IX?
Big Dog
I believe the article discusses several western Unis including which "prong" they use to comply with T9.
calumnus
sycasey said:

I don't see any way around the conclusion that Cal needs to cut a bunch of non-revenue sports (or force them to become self-funding, which is basically the same thing).

I have no problem with non-revenue sports greatly reducing their expense by offering only In-state tuition (out of state recruits would have to make up the difference) or even just preferred admissions. If all the admission slots for the non-revenue sports only went to California residents and we no longer compete for national championships, so be it. It would more closely align with the school's purpose.
wifeisafurd
BearlyCareAnymore said:

wifeisafurd said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big Dog said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

calfanz said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

The concept of the money just being there because people think that football just makes a lot of money and drives a lot of donations so we just ignore numbers is naive. Football DOES make a lot of money and DOES drive a lot of donations, but what does "a lot" mean.

1. Cal does not need football to get its brand out there. Most of its peers do not use football to get its brand out there. The number of kids who go to Cal because they heard of Cal through football is so small to be irrelevant. (not that I don't see the benefit. I do)

2. When the campus is putting in $5M a year on sports, I'm not disputing the claim that we lose more "if sports go away". At $30M+, I'm sorry, but someone is going to have to actually show some numbers for that. The year before Cal opened the stadium, total donations for sports was $13M. The year the stadium opened it was $26M, I assume because of the required donations to get most season tickets. Since then it has dropped every year until it is at $15M now. (It is actually at $12M, but $15M is the last non Covid year reported so I think that is the most fair year to look at right now). Sports other than football and basketball lost $27M in 2019 and that does not include $19M in athletic department administration (which is in addition to the football and basketball admin expense). Total donations INCLUDING FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL were $15M. I'm struggling to see how cutting a bunch of unpopular sports, that alums don't fund, that alums don't go to, is going to lead to a net loss other than that is what some athletic administrators who don't want to lose their jobs say when this comes up. Quite frankly, if you cut everything but the conference required sports, the numbers scream that you would save a lot of money. (and to be clear, you shouldn't do that because there are some sports that would be a net loss to cut. Which points out all the more that the other sports are a huge drag)

3. The overhead argument just doesn't account for any significant part of the losses. Cal funds a majority of the student's cost through tuition, very little of which on average is funded by Cal. The amount of athletic donations offsetting that is a fraction. The amount of athletic donations funding the overhead for those students that come from unpopular, unfunded sports is basically zero. The funds that those sports are putting in are not even funding the basic administration and costs of the team, let alone the students on the team.

4. I never said to cut football and your comments about alums directing funds is exactly what I said should happen. If students value sports, they should voluntarily vote for an added fee on their tuition. If alums value sports, they should donate. My argument from the beginning has been that our students and alums just do not value sports, at least not with their money, like other programs do, and they either need to step up, or we need to plan accordingly. In 2019, football had $2.6M in donations. There were $7.3M in non-directed donations to the athletic department. So if ALL of that gets directed to coaches salary and NIL, and another few million in endowment income. Even if all of that is applied to football, it isn't close to cutting it. (Barely covers the current coaching costs). So the whales need to step up or this isn't going anywhere. And your comments about competitive bargaining are spot on and is part of what I'm saying. People here are assuming that it is like it was in 2001 and ignore that the landscape has already changed dramatically and is going to change even more. And worse, Cal locking us in to Wilcox and Knowlton's contracts when they didn't need to do it further limits Cal's ability to nimbly respond to whatever happens.

5. The bottom line is the campus can't keep throwing checks at sports and they have warned the sports and alums about this for 15 years. If alums want this to happen, they need to step up. If they don't, hell, that is fine, but you can't expect students and taxpayers to keep paying for it. If no one wants to pay for it, we have our answer. If no one is willing to put up the dollars for a sport, who are we doing it for? The university has been hitting this drumbeat for years, and now they are explicitly calling out things like NIL. They are giving the message loud and clear. Alums need to respond. I just don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong.

6. When we are talking about this level of losses, it is no longer acceptable to put out subjective statements about general economic benefit. If general fund donations are tied to football, show it. At least with some analysis. If it is offsetting other university costs, show it. I'm going to be quite frank. I don't believe Cal and UCLA would put out public statements that make sports look in more financial dire straits than they are.

7. And my general point was primarily that the view that football can just fix everything just doesn't cut it when you look at the numbers. It can't. And the future will only make that harder.
Donors that fund football contribute several hundred million dollars to campus every year, in case you are wondering what actually is at stake, That doesn't even discuss, for example, alums of baseball and rugby who are major donors. Cal went though this before and Campus lost a lot of money when teams were cut. It is real funny how a Chancellor's principles takes a back seat when faculty are having their research funding or endowments pulled.

Most athletic departments in the Pac are running huge deficits due to C-19. Cal isn't even close to the top. There is UCLA, WSU, Oregon, Furd, etc. with larger annual deficits. That obviously will change the more we move away from C-19, but other changes will remove money from athletics in the long run.

Before C-19 only 13 P5 schools, had more than $25 million in deficits annually. Cal had the worse in the Pac due to interest expanse (e.g, 17 million deficit in 2017), about 55% of which has been transferred to Campus. Christ set 2020 as a deadline to balance the athletics budget, which was close to being achieved, but then came the two C-19 years.

In the current NIL/players are employees environment, everyone probably is going to have to belt tighten and I see no way around cutting a huge number of teams if players have to be paid. The programs that make the mov earlier will be in a better competitive position, but right now that is not the view of Christ, who believes that tams should be cut as a last resort. The prior experience likely shapes her views.
mbBear
Actually, the Sacramento-Modesto-Stockton DMA as it is called (ie. market size) is higher ranked than LV.
HoopDreams
you're right!

this is exactly what I wanted to know

basically almost no schools comply with it, although schools with more women's sports could more legitimately claim prong 3

but considering cal has a lot of sports i am surprised we have such a numbers gap. this is primarily due to our 55% female enrollment

thanks for the article

Big Dog said:

I believe the article discusses several western Unis including which "prong" they use to comply with T9.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.