The Latest Rumors

228,914 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sosheezy said:

tequila4kapp said:

Per ESPN, B1G commissioner Kevin Warren is potentially heading to the NFL to be President of the Chicago Bears. This would obviously have big implications for future conference expansion and other things.

It seemed from the reports like he was more pro additional westward expansion whereas Ohio State prez etc were not.
Yes, and from other reports, some of the Big Ten presidents were not all that convinced about USC and UCLA even though they did ultimately vote for them.

If, in a few years, those same presidents are regretting the additions of USC and UCLA, Warren will be better off not being there.

Big Dog
BearSD said:

sosheezy said:

tequila4kapp said:

Per ESPN, B1G commissioner Kevin Warren is potentially heading to the NFL to be President of the Chicago Bears. This would obviously have big implications for future conference expansion and other things.

It seemed from the reports like he was more pro additional westward expansion whereas Ohio State prez etc were not.
Yes, and from other reports, some of the Big Ten presidents were not all that convinced about USC and UCLA even though they did ultimately vote for them.

If, in a few years, those same presidents are regretting the additions of USC and UCLA, Warren will be better off not being there.

Those BiG presidents likely had the same concerns as the UC Regents: sure, sending our football teams to SoCal once a year is nbd, but sending our large women's lacrosse & softball teams west, for example, for a home-and-home several times each season is not only costly but days away from classroom.
tequila4kapp
CannonBlast said:

tequila4kapp said:

How do you find this alternate channel? I'd like to try it but have no idea - have never even heard of this before

Press the down arrow once the loie game loads and you will see an option for the next gen version. I love it. Looks like you are playing Madden.
I'm watching it now. It's very cool. I really like the info on every play about number of players by position on the field and also the route trees.
6956bear
BigDaddy said:

oskidunker said:

I agree with them.
Oregon and Washington don't want to be locked in to the Pac-12 by a GOR. Amazon is a convenient excuse, this is as much about trying to get into the B1G at some point in the future. They want the ability to move if that invite comes.
I agree with this. But I think others like Arizona may also be balking at a GOR with Amazon. With Big 10 commissioner Kevin Warren possibly out the door it will absolutely hurt short term prospects of any P12 school joining the Big 10.

Kliavkoff has a huge job ahead trying to convince schools to sign on to any deal. 2024 is not that far away, this media deal needs to get done. The longer it goes the less confident I am personally that it gets done.

Amazon is fine by me, but I get why others may not be fine with it. Especially a big basketball program like UA.
DoubtfulBear
Big Dog said:

BearSD said:

sosheezy said:

tequila4kapp said:

Those BiG presidents likely had the same concerns as the UC Regents: sure, sending our football teams to SoCal once a year is nbd, but sending our large women's lacrosse & softball teams west, for example, for a home-and-home several times each season is not only costly but days away from classroom.
Who says non-revenue sports have to stay on B1G instead of more local conferences?
tequila4kapp
PGA a golf is being moved to Peacock and away from NBC. Apparently they aren't concerned about people not switching over to streaming to watch.
BearSD
6956bear said:

BigDaddy said:

oskidunker said:

I agree with them.
Oregon and Washington don't want to be locked in to the Pac-12 by a GOR. Amazon is a convenient excuse, this is as much about trying to get into the B1G at some point in the future. They want the ability to move if that invite comes.
I agree with this. But I think others like Arizona may also be balking at a GOR with Amazon. With Big 10 commissioner Kevin Warren possibly out the door it will absolutely hurt short term prospects of any P12 school joining the Big 10.

Kliavkoff has a huge job ahead trying to convince schools to sign on to any deal. 2024 is not that far away, this media deal needs to get done. The longer it goes the less confident I am personally that it gets done.

Amazon is fine by me, but I get why others may not be fine with it. Especially a big basketball program like UA.
The bolded part is true. Seems unlikely that the Big Ten could get enough yes votes to add any more Pac schools in the near future. Washington and Oregon can showcase themselves all they want, but when a Big Ten power player like Ohio State isn't interested in further expansion and was reluctant about USC and UCLA, it isn't happening any time soon.
airspace
The bolded part is true. Seems unlikely that the Big Ten could get enough yes votes to add any more Pac schools in the near future. Washington and Oregon can showcase themselves all they want, but when a Big Ten power player like Ohio State isn't interested in further expansion and was reluctant about USC and UCLA, it isn't happening any time soon.

From the hinter lands of Ohio.

I can tell you that part of above is not correct. The Ohio State President is in favor of expansion (but she is on the way out - did something the Board of Regents asked for her resignation for something (nobody is talking)). Gene Smith (AD at Ohio State) is against expansion BUT I believe he is trying to protect Ohio State's interest since he has to balance their sport's budget. On top of that, Michigan has a new President, Purdue has a change in President (guy from inside - may give some stability). Know Northwestern has a new President (from Oregon) and I believe there has been changes at Wisconsin. All of this has more influence on whether the Big Ten expands. Believe these Presidents have more on their plate to deal with in their own institutions vs what the Big Ten is doing.

One other factor to consider, is that AD's do not have a vote on expansion. May have influence at their own institutions BUT when the President of the university says do it - they do it. This was the major reason Bo Schembechler resigned as AD at Michigan when Penn State was added.

Also, each school has one vote. Indiana is equal to Michigan. Do they listen to what Michigan, Ohio State and other say - yes. But they want the input from all institutions. They try to reach consensus in their meetings before going public.

I do BELIEVE (what I think is going on), the Big Ten going back to Delaney, they (Delaney & Presidents) came up with a long term plan of where they want the Big Ten to be and go. It is just a matter of time and execution. I do believe they don't want to DESTROY conferences in the process.

When you look at the Big Ten and see how all of them except Nebraska (was) is AAU. That should tell you where they are headed. Just look at the difference in Research Revenue at Ohio State $1.2 B vs Sports Revenue just a little over $200 M, where is the real money? I have said before, I believe Cal Berkley & Stanford end up in the Big Ten IF they want to. Just a matter of time and execution.
Econ141
airspace said:

From the hinter lands of Ohio.

I can tell you that part of above is not correct. The Ohio State President is in favor of expansion (but she is on the way out - did something the Board of Regents asked for her resignation for something (nobody is talking)). Gene Smith (AD at Ohio State) is against expansion BUT I believe he is trying to protect Ohio State's interest since he has to balance their sport's budget. On top of that, Michigan has a new President, Purdue has a change in President (guy from inside - may give some stability). Know Northwestern has a new President (from Oregon) and I believe there has been changes at Wisconsin. All of this has more influence on whether the Big Ten expands. Believe these Presidents have more on their plate to deal with in their own institutions vs what the Big Ten is doing.

One other factor to consider, is that AD's do not have a vote on expansion. May have influence at their own institutions BUT when the President of the university says do it - they do it. This was the major reason Bo Schembechler resigned as AD at Michigan when Penn State was added.

Also, each school has one vote. Indiana is equal to Michigan. Do they listen to what Michigan, Ohio State and other say - yes. But they want the input from all institutions. They try to reach consensus in their meetings before going public.

I do BELIEVE (what I think is going on), the Big Ten going back to Delaney, they (Delaney & Presidents) came up with a long term plan of where they want the Big Ten to be and go. It is just a matter of time and execution. I do believe they don't want to DESTROY conferences in the process.

When you look at the Big Ten and see how all of them except Nebraska (was) is AAU. That should tell you where they are headed. Just look at the difference in Research Revenue at Ohio State $1.2 B vs Sports Revenue just a little over $200 M, where is the real money? I have said before, I believe Cal Berkley & Stanford end up in the Big Ten IF they want to. Just a matter of time and execution.

Point well taken but while media revenue is shared across the member teams, what does research revenue have to do with this? If cal gets billions in research funding, how does it benefit other members of the conference?
movielover
Oregon writer John Canzano Mailbag:

Q: Any update on Pac-12 media negotiations and potential expansion? @SDSU_Alum2003

A: "I believe the Pac-12 will announce a deal in early 2023 that mostly blends ESPN and Amazon. Insiders tell me the average distribution will beat the Big 12's figure ($31.6 million per school). I expect expansion news will come rapidly in the wake of the media rights announcement."
sycasey
movielover said:

Oregon writer John Canzano Mailbag:

Q: Any update on Pac-12 media negotiations and potential expansion? @SDSU_Alum2003

A: "I believe the Pac-12 will announce a deal in early 2023 that mostly blends ESPN and Amazon. Insiders tell me the average distribution will beat the Big 12's figure ($31.6 million per school). I expect expansion news will come rapidly in the wake of the media rights announcement."

If the Pac-12 deal beats the Big 12, then none of the P12 schools will be bolting for that league. The Big Ten is the only big mover here (assuming the SEC has no interest at all).
Bobodeluxe
Good. The UC Berkeley Bears playoff spot is guaranteed. Pending winning the PAC? Championship.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.