The Latest Rumors

228,955 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
mirabelle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agreed. Metro population is only important for cable fees. It's so yesterday.

With streaming, what's most important is national brand recognition.

I mean, what's the population of South Bend? But people in Ireland (or California) will watch Notre Dame.

Strykur
Rushinbear said:

BigDaddy said:

mirabelle said:

I don't see Miami as Big Ten material. Georgia Tech has both academic standards and Atlanta market.
B1G wants to get into Florida for the same reasons why they wanted into California. UM and FSU are more than receptive. They've been lobbying for an invite.

Add the 'Canes and Seminoles and you have markets #13 Tampa, #17 Orlando and #18 Miami.

Georgia Tech would open up market #7. Maybe Tech gpes with them, along with UVa. I would think UNC is a better fit for the B1G but apparently they want to go SEC.
The Noles don't have academics, nor do they have the Tampa or Orlando market. Jacksonville? Maybe.

Miami? Aca. ok, good, but limited by geog. Is it big enough, in and of itself?
Miami when they are rolling is always a big deal, same with Florida State, Florida as a state is a bit crowded with FBS programs but how many other states can say they have 3(+) schools with national championships each over the last 30 years?
Big Dog
sycasey said:

Cal89 said:

fat_slice said:

Cal89 said:

Looks like the Ducks want out....

I get the heebie -jeebies when I see new messages pop up on this thread. I thought most schools looking for their way in had already applied anyways. Perhaps this means they have jumped to the front of the line. At least we will know if USC's preference to keep them out has any weight.

I know many like to believe Oregon is the cat's meow, that they are in a relatively very desirable position regarding realignment, but I wonder if that is so, at least as it pertains to the B1G... Maybe some Duck desperation on display. No doubt for 20+ years the Ducks have been the class of Pac-10/12 (west coast) football, and exciting and glitzy brand for sure, but should that wane, whatever appeal that might exist for the B1G, would likely plummet. The academics in Eugene remain subpar, the media market too, including its B1G transplants...
That's the thing, Oregon is desirable if you're talking about the state of the football brand RIGHT NOW, but if you look under the hood at the fundamentals of the school, then their market, location, academics, non-revenue sports, etc., probably have them below the Bay Area schools and Washington. It depends on what the B1G is looking at, but history suggests they do care about those other things too.
The other thing Oregon brings is a willingness to embrace the NIL game. (unlike Cal adn Stanford)
Big Dog
BigDaddy said:

fat_slice said:

Cal89 said:

I get the heebie -jeebies when I see new messages pop up on this thread. I thought most schools looking for their way in had already applied anyways. Perhaps this means they have jumped to the front of the line. At least we will know if USC's preference to keep them out has any weight.

Interesting story lines developing, Surprising to me that Florida State and Miami are apparently lobbying privately for B1G membership. Also that UNC might prefer the SEC to B1G, which surprises me a bit. Figure Clemson would be on an SEC shortlist... with Va Tech, UNC and NC State? Notre Dame, UVA, Miami and Florida State to the B1G> Wild days ahead.

everybody is calling everybody. (except Knowlton, who is calling Nevada, Fresno State, adn other Mountain West schools). Just bcos Florida State expresses an interest in the BiG, doesn't mean is has any chance of happening anytime soon. FSU is not AAU, so the BiG would barely pick up the phone. That said, the new Prez of FSU is looking to upgrade to AAU status, but that could take years.
Rushinbear
Strykur said:

Rushinbear said:

BigDaddy said:

mirabelle said:

I don't see Miami as Big Ten material. Georgia Tech has both academic standards and Atlanta market.
B1G wants to get into Florida for the same reasons why they wanted into California. UM and FSU are more than receptive. They've been lobbying for an invite.

Add the 'Canes and Seminoles and you have markets #13 Tampa, #17 Orlando and #18 Miami.

Georgia Tech would open up market #7. Maybe Tech gpes with them, along with UVa. I would think UNC is a better fit for the B1G but apparently they want to go SEC.
The Noles don't have academics, nor do they have the Tampa or Orlando market. Jacksonville? Maybe.

Miami when they are rolling is always a big deal, same with Florida State, Florida as a state is a bit crowded with FBS programs but how many other states can say they have 3(+) schools with national championships each over the last 30 years?
I'm talking about the sizes of the markets they command. Miami-Dade/Broward, I'll give you, but Talla? No.
Big Dog
Strykur said:

Rushinbear said:

BigDaddy said:

mirabelle said:

But only one AAU school (U-Florida).
BigDaddy
Rushinbear said:

BigDaddy said:

mirabelle said:

Florida State has a huge following all over Florida, including Tampa and Orlando. Jacksonville is an hour from the U of Florida campus in Gainesville.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
BigDaddy
Big Dog said:

BigDaddy said:

fat_slice said:

Cal89 said:

Interesting story lines developing, Surprising to me that Florida State and Miami are apparently lobbying privately for B1G membership. Also that UNC might prefer the SEC to B1G, which surprises me a bit. Figure Clemson would be on an SEC shortlist... with Va Tech, UNC and NC State? Notre Dame, UVA, Miami and Florida State to the B1G> Wild days ahead.

everybody is calling everybody. (except Knowlton, who is calling Nevada, Fresno State, adn other Mountain West schools). Just bcos Florida State expresses an interest in the BiG, doesn't mean is has any chance of happening anytime soon. FSU is not AAU, so the BiG would barely pick up the phone. That said, the new Prez of FSU is looking to upgrade to AAU status, but that could take years.
It's not happening soon because of ACC Grant of Rights. And Florida State and Miami are on the expansion list for the B1G, along with other ACC schools.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
sycasey
Big Dog said:

sycasey said:

Cal89 said:

fat_slice said:

Cal89 said:

I know many like to believe Oregon is the cat's meow, that they are in a relatively very desirable position regarding realignment, but I wonder if that is so, at least as it pertains to the B1G... Maybe some Duck desperation on display. No doubt for 20+ years the Ducks have been the class of Pac-10/12 (west coast) football, and exciting and glitzy brand for sure, but should that wane, whatever appeal that might exist for the B1G, would likely plummet. The academics in Eugene remain subpar, the media market too, including its B1G transplants...
That's the thing, Oregon is desirable if you're talking about the state of the football brand RIGHT NOW, but if you look under the hood at the fundamentals of the school, then their market, location, academics, non-revenue sports, etc., probably have them below the Bay Area schools and Washington. It depends on what the B1G is looking at, but history suggests they do care about those other things too.
The other thing Oregon brings is a willingness to embrace the NIL game. (unlike Cal adn Stanford)
Possibly, though again we don't really know for sure.
Oski87
Florida State has an issue - they do not get the flowing funds from Alumni that other schools do, they are underfunded by the State, and they have terrible facilities. They have a great history with B Bobby Bowden, who took them from obscurity to a dominant program. But they need the SEC or Big 10 Revenue to compete -especially with Miami coming back with their big time boosters. Florida State has some, of course - but just not at the level of the other ones.

Dgoldnbaer
The Seminoles underfunding by the state, lack of support from alumni and and the status of their facilities sounds quite familiar to Cal's. I'm thinking those three factors are primary reason they're in the ACC and not the SEC. Makes me think we're doomed - at best - to the MWC.
Rushinbear
BigDaddy said:

Rushinbear said:

BigDaddy said:

mirabelle said:

Florida State has a huge following all over Florida, including Tampa and Orlando. Jacksonville is an hour from the U of Florida campus in Gainesville.
Yeah, there are Noles all over the place, but how to quantify them for a media contract?
HearstMining
Big Dog said:

sycasey said:

Cal89 said:

fat_slice said:

Cal89 said:

Phil Knight can't live forever, so a longer term question may be how many Oregon grads are in the upper ranks of Nike to continue pouring funds into UO athletics (and funding NIL deals for UO athletes).
bearsandgiants
HearstMining said:

Big Dog said:

sycasey said:

Cal89 said:

fat_slice said:

Cal89 said:

Phil Knight can't live forever, so a longer term question may be how many Oregon grads are in the upper ranks of Nike to continue pouring funds into UO athletics (and funding NIL deals for UO athletes).

I'm pretty sure Phil has a trust that will live in perpetuity, though.
Rushinbear
bearsandgiants said:

HearstMining said:

Big Dog said:

sycasey said:

Cal89 said:

fat_slice said:

Cal89 said:

May be, but once it gets to the trust stage, the money gets bled off by expanding administrators, unworthy beneficiaries, bad investment decisions, and all around cover your ass decision-making. .
Econ141
ND to remain independent almost a reality:

https://www.reddit.com/r/notredamefootball/comments/wv8n67/report_notre_dame_expected_to_land_big_tv_deal/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Big Dog
Rushinbear said:

bearsandgiants said:

HearstMining said:

Big Dog said:

sycasey said:

Cal89 said:

fat_slice said:

Cal89 said:

May be, but once it gets to the trust stage, the money gets bled off by expanding administrators, unworthy beneficiaries, bad investment decisions, and all around cover your ass decision-making. .
or the Trust "hires" all those 4* and 5* recruits.
Econ141
Anyone catch this:

calumnus
fat_slice said:

Anyone catch this:

And the OSU and WSU go the MWC.
Big Dog
fat_slice said:

Anyone catch this:

well, Doh! Not exactly earth-shattering news. Of course, IFF the BiG takes four more from the current Pac-10, the Pac-nn is done, adn the 4 4-Corner's schools will jump to the Big 12 as fast as they can.

philbert
from the head of ESPN programming

oskidunker
Maybeless teames means each team gets more money
Go Bears!
Econ141
Average viewership since 2013:

https://sicem365.com/s/13048/how-many-viewers-did-your-ncaa-team-attract

Unclear if this suffers from the same PAC-12 network viewership issues but we don't come out well here. Of all the periods to have sucked, we picked the worst possible time.

Also - while this does cover Stanford's good years, it is still surprising how strong their viewership is.
dimitrig
fat_slice said:

Average viewership since 2013:

https://sicem365.com/s/13048/how-many-viewers-did-your-ncaa-team-attract

Unclear if this suffers from the same PAC-12 network viewership issues but we don't come out well here. Of all the periods to have sucked, we picked the worst possible time.

Also - while this does cover Stanford's good years, it is still surprising how strong their viewership is.

How does WSU rank so high?

Bobodeluxe
"Cal manages to still rank low in the pecking order inside the league but more games against the top four brands in the conference every year certainly helps them and probably keeps them out of last place."

I blame the CoB, and Buh.
Econ141
Another more analytical take (lukewarm to less than lukewarm entry for Cal but again - just an opinion, not from any official source):

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/where-should-the-big-ten-expand-next-we-crunched-the-numbers/

eastcoastcal
fat_slice said:

Another more analytical take (lukewarm to less than lukewarm entry for Cal but again - just an opinion, not from any official source):

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/where-should-the-big-ten-expand-next-we-crunched-the-numbers/

ok so after reading the article. if the ranking list is described as such:

ND
UNC
Oregon
Florida State
Washington
Clemson
Utah
Miami
Stanford
Cal

Let's take that as absolute truth for arguments' sake. ND is reportedly staying independent. The ACC schools are stuck because of the ironclad GOR. I really just don't buy Utah being added, the fit with B1G doesn't seem plausible. And all of this ignores the simple reality that there needs to be a west coast pod for travel reasons.

I really think the only way we don't get added is if the ACC schools can break their GOR, or if for some reason the B1G feels they dont need two bay area schools and only want Stanford (which would be an odd decision).
sycasey
eastcoastcal said:

fat_slice said:

ok so after reading the article. if the ranking list is described as such:

ND
UNC
Oregon
Florida State
Washington
Clemson
Utah
Miami
Stanford
Cal

Let's take that as absolute truth for arguments' sake. ND is reportedly staying independent. The ACC schools are stuck because of the ironclad GOR. I really just don't buy Utah being added, the fit with B1G doesn't seem plausible. And all of this ignores the simple reality that there needs to be a west coast pod for travel reasons.

I really think the only way we don't get added is if the ACC schools can break their GOR, or if for some reason the B1G feels they dont need two bay area schools and only want Stanford (which would be an odd decision).
Exactly my thought. Also, most of those ACC schools (besides UNC) are in SEC territory and probably more likely to join that conference if it comes to that.

I also think Silver might be undervaluing the Bay Area market a bit (which is what pushes Utah ahead on his list), but ultimately this is all just based on some reasonably informed assumptions anyway. I do find it interesting that he has Cal as easily #1 in terms of best "fit" with the B1G: flagship state school with great academics and a large alumni base, plus natural rivalries with the L.A. schools.
MrGPAC
fat_slice said:

This is a really interesting breakdown. It has Cal as the number 1 fit.

Cal loses out on sports success, which is heavily weighted on recency. Football success under Tedford hardly counts at all, but 2020 and 2021 hurt hard. Our Basetkball success is actually ranked evenly with Football as a result.

The other place Cal loses out on is Media Market, surprisingly.

They use the same flawed rating metric that counts 0 viewers for any games on the pac12 network which obviously hurts things quite a bit. It also only accounts games from 2015-2021 (excluding 2020 season), so it doesn't account for any of Cal's success but does get some of Stanfords.

Most bizzarly on the list, they give the Bay Area media market a 4 out of 10. In comparison, it gives Oregon a 9 out of 10. I have no idea how they get that, but this is their description:

Quote:

Media market footprint (2x multiplier). This one's complicated, but the idea is to evaluate which media markets the school is the dominant college football brand in, using The New York Times's college football fandom map from 2014.11 However, I also gave credit to schools for their immediate metro areas even if they aren't the dominant football brand there, although with a penalty if the school is competing against other current Big Ten members.12 In doing so, I tried to replicate the Big Ten's thinking in adding Rutgers (its nominal presence in the New York media market, despite schools like Notre Dame having a bigger following in NYC).

And from that they got Oregon as a 9 and Cal/Stanford as 4 each...

Overall for Cal:

Sports: 44
Fit: 87
Market: 24

Despite these questionable aspects, Cal ranks in at number 10 out of all schools in what the B1G should add. Teams above them are:

1) Notre Dame
2) North Carolina
3) Oregon
4) Florida State
5) Washington
6) Clemson
7) Utah
8) Miami
9) Stanford
10) Cal

If they are expanding at that point I still think its to 24 teams, which would mean 8 new teams. Even by these metrics I see Cal making it on the expansion to 24 teams, or to 6 west coast pod teams.
calumnus
MrGPAC said:

fat_slice said:

Cal loses out on sports success, which is heavily weighted on recency. Football success under Tedford hardly counts at all, but 2020 and 2021 hurt hard. Our Basetkball success is actually ranked evenly with Football as a result.

They use the same flawed rating metric that counts 0 viewers for any games on the pac12 network which obviously hurts things quite a bit. It also only accounts games from 2015-2021 (excluding 2020 season), so it doesn't account for any of Cal's success but does get some of Stanfords.

Most bizzarly on the list, they give the Bay Area media market a 4 out of 10. In comparison, it gives Oregon a 9 out of 10. I have no idea how they get that, but this is their description:

Quote:

Media market footprint (2x multiplier). This one's complicated, but the idea is to evaluate which media markets the school is the dominant college football brand in, using The New York Times's college football fandom map from 2014.11 However, I also gave credit to schools for their immediate metro areas even if they aren't the dominant football brand there, although with a penalty if the school is competing against other current Big Ten members.12 In doing so, I tried to replicate the Big Ten's thinking in adding Rutgers (its nominal presence in the New York media market, despite schools like Notre Dame having a bigger following in NYC).

Overall for Cal:

Despite these questionable aspects, Cal ranks in at number 10 out of all schools in what the B1G should add. Teams above them are:

1) Notre Dame
2) North Carolina
3) Oregon
4) Florida State
5) Washington
6) Clemson
7) Utah
8) Miami
9) Stanford
10) Cal

If they are expanding at that point I still think its to 24 teams, which would mean 8 new teams. Even by these metrics I see Cal making it on the expansion to 24 teams, or to 6 west coast pod teams.

Our biggest enemy is ignorance, misinformation and incompetence. Thankfully I think Warren and the B1G are better informed than this.

This is a good year for us to be playing Notre Dame, it would be even better if we have a big crowd and give them a good game.
Econ141
calumnus said:

MrGPAC said:

fat_slice said:

Quote:

Overall for Cal:

1) Notre Dame
2) North Carolina
3) Oregon
4) Florida State
5) Washington
6) Clemson
7) Utah
8) Miami
9) Stanford
10) Cal

Our biggest enemy is ignorance, misinformation and incompetence. Thankfully I think Warren and the B1G are better informed than this.

This is a good year for us to be playing Notre Dame, it would be even better if we have a big crowd and give them a good game.

So fight for California?

I am more than ready!!!
berserkeley
Quote:

Quote:

So I am really confused. I thought maybe he divided up the Bay Area media market because Cal and Stanford share it. But he gave TCU and SMU a 9 in media market footprint and they share it with each other. Then I thought maybe he took away point because Cal and Stanford just don't draw as well in the Bay Area. But he gave TCU and SMU a 9 and they're not even in the top 2 college football draws in their media market. If Cal and Stanford had been given 8s (which seems more correct), then they would both rank ahead of Clemson in the overall list. In fact, Cal and Stanford would rank higher than half of the current B1G teams.
Oski87
berserkeley said:

Quote:

Quote:

So I am really confused. I thought maybe he divided up the Bay Area media market because Cal and Stanford share it. But he gave TCU and SMU a 9 in media market footprint and they share it with each other. Then I thought maybe he took away point because Cal and Stanford just don't draw as well in the Bay Area. But he gave TCU and SMU a 9 and they're not even in the top 2 college football draws in their media market. If Cal and Stanford had been given 8s (which seems more correct), then they would both rank ahead of Clemson in the overall list. In fact, Cal and Stanford would rank higher than half of the current B1G teams.
I think the point is that his is a ridiculous take on things.

sycasey
berserkeley said:

Quote:

Quote:

That's a great point about TCU and SMU. No way those schools have a better football "market" than Cal or Stanford. Rice also gets an 8. Rice!

I really doubt the B1G would value NorCal as badly as this analysis does, as a potential market for expansion.
golden sloth
sycasey said:

berserkeley said:

Quote:

Quote:

That's a great point about TCU and SMU. No way those schools have a better football "market" than Cal or Stanford. Rice also gets an 8. Rice!

I really doubt the B1G would value NorCal as badly as this analysis does, as a potential market for expansion.

I think the big difference is that people in Dallas watch college football whereas people in the bay area dont. I think that is a fair statement. Most people I know dont really watch college football unless they are with me and i make them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.