The Latest Rumors

228,943 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
WalterSobchak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice scoop Mandel. Read this on r/cfb 3 days ago. LA office of NLRB is also suing USC and Pac12 for labor violations re football players.
oskidunker
I wonder if they will allow local channels to broadcast prime games like nfl thursday games. Have several friends with no internet. Old people. They will not pay more.
Go Bears!
Oski87
oskidunker said:

I wonder if they will allow local channels to broadcast prime games like nfl thursday games. Have several friends with no internet. Old people. They will not pay more.
No chance of that. But do they pay more now for Pac 12 network?

This way I get to reduce my comcast bill and keep prime which I already have, and is available everywhere.
WalterSobchak
Oski87 said:

oskidunker said:

No chance of that. But do they pay more now for Pac 12 network?

This way I get to reduce my comcast bill and keep prime which I already have, and is available everywhere.
Stewie didn't link the whole article, but if you read it it also predicts Amazon will win the bid for Sunday Ticket. So a price increase on Prime is definitely possible (although ATT is currently giving it away for free so who knows).

The other thing the snip in the tweet omits is the speculation that Amazon will pay more for P12 because it will also take ownership of the network and all of its assets including studio equipment and cameras. Penthouse Larry spared no expense in those so that equipment is state-of-the-art, and Amazon needs/wants it for NFL games.

Here's the original reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/zoawhn/sports_business_journal_predicts_pac12_will_sell/ Note the discussion re: reach ESPN vs Prime, including demos (sorry dunker).
SonomanA1
Would the Pac12 Network still be around and Prime would get the games that are not on the Pac12 Network or would Prime buy the Pac12 Network? What about all the other sports currently on the Pac12 Network?

In answer to the question if Cal has eliminated any sports, Cal did cut men's wrestling.
tequila4kapp
SonomanA1 said:

Would the Pac12 Network still be around and Prime would get the games that are not on the Pac12 Network or would Prime buy the Pac12 Network? What about all the other sports currently on the Pac12 Network?

In answer to the question if Cal has eliminated any sports, Cal did cut men's wrestling.
With the possible exception of basketball I'm not sure the other sports are worth anything at all. One of the biggest fallacies of Larry's vision was the idea that anyone would care about watching Olympic sports. (Remember when we were going to gain market share in China?)
operbear
I love to watch:
Mens' and womens' swimming;
water polo;
women's gymnastics.
If they could close out a match, women's volleyball.
Rugby.
All interest me more than mens' basketball (but that could change).
Operbear
Big Dog
tequila4kapp said:

SonomanA1 said:

With the possible exception of basketball I'm not sure the other sports are worth anything at all. One of the biggest fallacies of Larry's vision was the idea that anyone would care about watching Olympic sports. (Remember when we were going to gain market share in China?)
yeah, but Larry's fallacy sold the President's hook-line-and-sinker. ('if we own it we can show many more women's sports that ESPN refuses to...')
BearSD
SonomanA1 said:

IMO: Pac-12 Network is one reason a deal between the Pac-12 and Amazon makes sense.

Amazon doesn't have its own sports broadcasting infrastructure. NFL Network is producing the Thursday night NFL games televised on Amazon Prime Video. The Pac-12 has all the infrastructure to produce Pac-12 sports telecasts for Amazon, or maybe Amazon would buy P12N and acquire their own live sports infrastructure.

And, if Amazon buys P12N in addition to paying the annual fees for the rights to televise the games, each of the Pac members would get a big infusion of cash from the sale, on top of the $30-40 million per school per year that they will likely get from the next TV deal.

Amazon might even buy all of the broadcast rights for the next Pac TV contract and sublicense a game or two each week to ESPN/ABC. (Another possibility is sublicensing some games to CBS, as a sportswriter predicted earlier this week.)

tequila4kapp
Offloading the network to someone that actually needs it could be such a win. The network basically has zero value...except potentially to Amazon.
Econ141
Just an opinion piece really ... if this were to happen, what happens to the rest of our league if truly cal and Stanford are left behind?

https://rutgerswire.usatoday.com/2022/12/21/espns-paul-finebaum-big-ten-will-expand-again-with-oregon-washington-likely-topping-the-list/

BigDaddy
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
oskidunker
BigDaddy said:

I agree with them.
Go Bears!
BigDaddy
oskidunker said:

I agree with them.
Oregon and Washington don't want to be locked in to the Pac-12 by a GOR. Amazon is a convenient excuse, this is as much about trying to get into the B1G at some point in the future. They want the ability to move if that invite comes.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
linebiz
https://frontofficesports.com/amazon-is-reportedly-planning-to-launch-a-sports-content-app/

This article speculates that Amazon could charge extra for live sports content on a stand alone app. I wonder if that had anything to do with the Big Ten turning down a larger offer from Amazon in favor of the lower offer from linear TV networks.
philly1121
Agree. I think its likely both. If I were Oregon, UW, and Utah - no way I sign any GoR that extends beyond 6 years. No.Way.

This may also have tipped UW and Oregon's hands here as, if some rumors are true about the B1G wanting them, they stand the most to lose.

How good could this Prime deal be? They run football games - there's no way ESPN is going to give them the marquee matchups. And if you have to pay additional to watch via their app? No one will watch. It will be P12 Network all over again.
MrGPAC
BigDaddy said:

oskidunker said:

I agree with them.
Oregon and Washington don't want to be locked in to the Pac-12 by a GOR. Amazon is a convenient excuse, this is as much about trying to get into the B1G at some point in the future. They want the ability to move if that invite comes.

Really is a ****ty position. I totally understand not wanting to be locked up for 10-15 years like the ACC...but if networks can't get a 4-5 year contract the value is going to go way down, effectively killing the conference. Whats worse is it weakens Oregon/Washingtons strength at the negotiating table when it comes to what percentage of a full share they should get as members of the B1G (or whatever other conference they go to).

As far as Amazon goes...I wonder what the data for Thursday Night Football shows, since its exclusively streaming (except in the teams local markets where it is broadcast on tv). They HAVE to have some good data on how many people aren't able to stream/watch as a result compared to prior years, and what percentage stream it vs watch it on local broadcast within the markets. I would assume they'd want to start an Amazon Sports Channel or similar to make up the gap (unless its way smaller than expected).
juarezbear
MrGPAC said:

BigDaddy said:

oskidunker said:

I agree with them.

Really is a ****ty position. I totally understand not wanting to be locked up for 10-15 years like the ACC...but if networks can't get a 4-5 year contract the value is going to go way down, effectively killing the conference. Whats worse is it weakens Oregon/Washingtons strength at the negotiating table when it comes to what percentage of a full share they should get as members of the B1G (or whatever other conference they go to).

As far as Amazon goes...I wonder what the data for Thursday Night Football shows, since its exclusively streaming (except in the teams local markets where it is broadcast on tv). They HAVE to have some good data on how many people aren't able to stream/watch as a result compared to prior years, and what percentage stream it vs watch it on local broadcast within the markets. I would assume they'd want to start an Amazon Sports Channel or similar to make up the gap (unless its way smaller than expected).

If Amazon offers a ton of cash and the agreement is for, say, 6 years, I really don't see that much downside. What if Amazon sells some of the games to Fox or ESPN just as movie studios are selling inventory to the various streamers?
sycasey
MrGPAC said:

BigDaddy said:

oskidunker said:

I agree with them.

As far as Amazon goes...I wonder what the data for Thursday Night Football shows, since it's exclusively streaming (except in the teams local markets where it is broadcast on tv). They HAVE to have some good data on how many people aren't able to stream/watch as a result compared to prior years, and what percentage stream it vs watch it on local broadcast within the markets. I would assume they'd want to start an Amazon Sports Channel or similar to make up the gap (unless it's way smaller than expected).

Yeah, Amazon having NFL rights really changes the game on accessibility. For one thing, that means all sports bars will have it.
BearSD
BigDaddy said:

That is probably true. The TV audiences for Thursday night NFL games on Amazon have been pretty large for Thursdays, so Amazon isn't the reason. No one in the Pac wants to be locked into a 10-year grant of rights, though, because they want to leave the door open and give themselves a better shot at the Big Ten than teams from the Big 12 and ACC, which are still locked in to their current conferences for more than 10 years. That invitation might never come, but teams want to sell hope to their donors.

If this is a real objection, the obvious way out is a short-term deal of about 5 years.
Oski87
BigDaddy said:

oskidunker said:

I agree with them.

They have no alternative. Do they want to join the SEC? That is their alternative, and I can tell you that the state of Oregon will not be good with that. The PAC 12 can get a crappy deal or a good deal. Oregon and Washington is just looking to get the CBS games - they may want a larger chunk from the PAC 12.
CaliforniaEternal
Having Amazon as a partner would be incredible for P10 distribution. There are almost double the number of Prime subscribers than ESPN. Prime Video is one of the most popular streaming apps. It's a no brainer.
Econ141
CaliforniaEternal said:

Having Amazon as a partner would be incredible for P10 distribution. There are almost double the number of Prime subscribers than ESPN. Prime Video is one of the most popular streaming apps. It's a no brainer.

Exactly - go for max money to keep us relatively competitive and then cross fingers for a B1G invite. I doubt we get the latter so hoping for a lengthier contract cause once that is done, it's goodbye cal football.
Vandalus
sycasey said:

MrGPAC said:

BigDaddy said:

oskidunker said:

I agree with them.

As far as Amazon goes...I wonder what the data for Thursday Night Football shows, since it's exclusively streaming (except in the teams local markets where it is broadcast on tv). They HAVE to have some good data on how many people aren't able to stream/watch as a result compared to prior years, and what percentage stream it vs watch it on local broadcast within the markets. I would assume they'd want to start an Amazon Sports Channel or similar to make up the gap (unless it's way smaller than expected).

Yeah, Amazon having NFL rights really changes the game on accessibility. For one thing, that means all sports bars will have it.
The TNFL games on Prime, using the alternative "channel" with next gen stats is seriously the future of watching football (or sports in general really). If you haven't been able to see it in action yet, I highly recommend checking it out tomorrow night for the Cowboys/Titans game (the last of the season).

To be clear, it's not the main broadcast; but the "next gen stats" version. It's so good with the live route trees and other info they are able to put up in real time.
~Spectemur agendo~
tequila4kapp
How do you find this alternate channel? I'd like to try it but have no idea - have never even heard of this before
CannonBlast
tequila4kapp said:

How do you find this alternate channel? I'd like to try it but have no idea - have never even heard of this before

Press the down arrow once the loie game loads and you will see an option for the next gen version. I love it. Looks like you are playing Madden.
tequila4kapp
Per ESPN, B1G commissioner Kevin Warren is potentially heading to the NFL to be President of the Chicago Bears. This would obviously have big implications for future conference expansion and other things.
sosheezy
tequila4kapp said:

Per ESPN, B1G commissioner Kevin Warren is potentially heading to the NFL to be President of the Chicago Bears. This would obviously have big implications for future conference expansion and other things.

It seemed from the reports like he was more pro additional westward expansion whereas Ohio State prez etc were not.
philly1121
I'm not sure I would sign any GoR for more than 6 years. However, that's how I would be thinking if I were an Oregon or a Washington. They don't want to be locked in. IF, however, I am a Cal, Stanford, Colorado, Arizona, ASU or OSU - and I know I'm not attractive enough to garner an invite to the B1G or to the B12, then I'm looking for longer term.
WalterSobchak
philly1121 said:

I'm not sure I would sign any GoR for more than 6 years. However, that's how I would be thinking if I were an Oregon or a Washington. They don't want to be locked in. IF, however, I am a Cal, Stanford, Colorado, Arizona, ASU or OSU - and I know I'm not attractive enough to garner an invite to the B1G or to the B12, then I'm looking for longer term.
tequila4kapp
philly1121 said:

Kliakov has consistently spoken in terms of the next deal being a shorter duration than normal. My recollection is that he's indicated 5-6 year type deals so the conference can get back to market quickly.

The objecting schools are pains in the ass since they've known streaming was an option all along but apparently are only raising this as a serious red flag now that we are apparently coming down the home stretch for getting a deal done. We are coming out of the worst deal and a horrible concept with the P12 network. It seems probable that anything will be better. Unless Amazon is insisting on a long term deal…STFU and sign on the dotted line. If Amazon is insisting on a long term deal,I sure hope Cal is one of those "other schools" also balking at signing GOR away.
Econ141
tequila4kapp said:

philly1121 said:

Kliakov has consistently spoken in terms of the next deal being a shorter duration than normal. My recollection is that he's indicated 5-6 year type deals so the conference can get back to market quickly.

The objecting schools are pains in the ass since they've known streaming was an option all along but apparently are only raising this as a serious red flag now that we are apparently coming down the home stretch for getting a deal done. We are coming out of the worst deal and a horrible concept with the P12 network. It seems probable that anything will be better. Unless Amazon is insisting on a long term deal…STFU and sign on the dotted line. If Amazon is insisting on a long term deal,I sure hope Cal is one of those "other schools" also balking at signing GOR away.

I think we all know that there is no leadership behind Cal. They are just going to accept whatever happens. There is nothing that has happened over the past 4-5 years that gives me any hope that someone in the admin understands what is happening and is helping to pave the way for Cal football to be successful. I would love for someone to prove me wrong though.
Bobodeluxe
6-PAC, home and away.

Championship Game between the top two SCORERS, somewhere in northern Nevada.
BigDaddy
philly1121 said:

Colorado, Arizona, ASU and Utah... I could see any of them not signing. Those schools have spoken to the Big XII in the past. You think they want to stuck in the league if Oregon and Washington bounce?
BigDaddy
sosheezy said:

tequila4kapp said:

It seemed from the reports like he was more pro additional westward expansion whereas Ohio State prez etc were not.
The B1G covets Notre Dame, and would love to get into the Virginia, North Carolina and Florida markets.

Depending on who you talk to, short list for the B1G in future expansion could include, besides ND, U of Virginia, N. Carolina, Miami, and/or Florida State. If they wanted additional West Coast teams, Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal would be in that mix.

If the league stops at 20 or moves to 24 teams is also interesting to consider.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.