The Latest Rumors

227,460 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just keep in mind this is during the exclusive negotiating window with espn/fox. If you're them, why not try a lowball offer? Up to GK to approach other broadcasters to see what they will offer after the exclusive window has passed.
calumnus
philbert said:

Just keep in mind this is during the exclusive negotiating window with espn/fox. If you're them, why not try a lowball offer? Up to GK to approach other broadcasters to see what they will offer after the exclusive window has passed.

Fox and the B1G just stole UCLA and USC, they have no incentive to pay for the PAC-10 now. USC and UCLA will play home night games. Fox probably hopes we die.

ESPN knows the above and made a lowball offer. Their backup is MWC in those slots? Or maybe they are trying to force another option? Merger with ACC or B12? Departure of Oregon and UW? Kliavkoff will definitely take this to the open market and hope to still sell PAC-10/12 after dark to ESPN.
TomBear
I'll echo what Cal_79 said. I come up from L.A. and if they're going to be playing on Thursday and Friday nights, I'm done. Maybe I'll come up once a year for Big Game, but that's it.

The game day experience is already screwed up thanks to Cal AD Marketing Dept. The cost of gas, hotel, food etc. etc. is going up and up. And I'm not taking time off from work to see UC Davis, UNLV, or Tijuana Tech, even if on a Saturday at noon. And many of the important people I used to enjoy visiting with have moved to the south to get out of this state.

Adding UNLV, SDSU, Boise, Fresno.......none of those attracts me either.

And games on a neutral site such as L.A. (where I live) simply take another game from Memorial Stadium. I come to the games, in part, to get AWAY from L.A.

Please forgive the rant. But I'm pretty frustrated by all of this.

maxer
calumnus said:

philbert said:

Fox and the B1G just stole UCLA and USC, they have no incentive to pay for the PAC-10 now. USC and UCLA will play home night games. Fox probably hopes we die.

ESPN knows the above and made a lowball offer. Their backup is MWC in those slots? Or maybe they are trying to force another option? Merger with ACC or B12? Departure of Oregon and UW? Kliavkoff will definitely take this to the open market and hope to still sell PAC-10/12 after dark to ESPN.
There's not a lot of benefit to ESPN making a blockbuster offer during the exclusive window -- they'd be negotiating against themselves.

I expected them to make a low offer, and then get serious later when other potential networks/streaming services are involved.

I'd advise against getting super into the ins and outs of every tweet during this process (same with all the "experts" with wild-ass realignment rumors).
philbert
maxer said:

calumnus said:

philbert said:

There's not a lot of benefit to ESPN making a blockbuster offer during the exclusive window -- they'd be negotiating against themselves.

I expected them to make a low offer, and then get serious later when other potential networks/streaming services are involved.

I'd advise against getting super into the ins and outs of every tweet during this process (same with all the "experts" with wild-ass realignment rumors).

Yep.

Similarly, I wouldn't expect ESPN to give up and not compete against Fox for those Saturday nite time slots. Let it play out a little before we go scorched earth based on a rumor tweet.
Rushinbear
TomBear said:

I'll echo what Cal_79 said. I come up from L.A. and if they're going to be playing on Thursday and Friday nights, I'm done. Maybe I'll come up once a year for Big Game, but that's it.

The game day experience is already screwed up thanks to Cal AD Marketing Dept. The cost of gas, hotel, food etc. etc. is going up and up. And I'm not taking time off from work to see UC Davis, UNLV, or Tijuana Tech, even if on a Saturday at noon. And many of the important people I used to enjoy visiting with have moved to the south to get out of this state.

And games on a neutral site such as L.A. (where I live) simply take another game from Memorial Stadium. I come to the games, in part, to get AWAY from L.A.

And, viewers want to see a packed house. Where's the excitement when only 1/3 of the stadium is filled.

So, the number of eyeballs in a market goes only so far when they refocus on another game.
Big C
dimitrig said:

Big C said:

Golden One said:

fat_slice said:

I don't know what's real anymore but this is the rumor thread so...:

Ugh! Ii hope this doesn't come to pass. Mostly night games on Thursday and Friday really sucks!

Yeah. I mean, I was thinking it was somebody trying to be funny...

Seems like, not too long ago, we were advocating for games that appealed to our "Cal fan" base (students, alums and friends and relatives of said). Now, suddenly faced with what could even be elimination of our known status quo, we're willing to sacrifice almost anything, in order to preserve the hope of remaining "big time".

I see a metaphor for life in here, somewhere.

If it isn't good for the students, athletes, and alumni then we shouldn't do it regardless of what the pay day is.

I agree, but it's a complicated situation:

Alumni want "the Cal experience" and we want it on a Saturday afternoon. However, most of us also want a shot to "grab the brass ring" (hope springs eternal).

The athletes that committed to Cal Football also want to compete at the highest level.

I just find it ironic that "game day experience" has gone from high on our priority list to basically an afterthought right now, as we are faced with (literally) an existential crisis. But I get it. Personally, I am not ready to throw in the towel and submit to competing at a lower level.
calumnus
philbert said:

maxer said:

calumnus said:

philbert said:

Yep.

Similarly, I wouldn't expect ESPN to give up and not compete against Fox for those Saturday nite time slots. Let it play out a little before we go scorched earth based on a rumor tweet.

Exactly. My hope is Kliavkoff also figures out a way to enhance our offering before putting it out on the open market.
calumnus
TomBear said:

There would be home games, away games and neutral games in LA (that we work to turn into home games). We used to have a road game in LA every year. This might replace it. Maybe a series with Notre Dame? Maybe we play UW and Oregon there on a home, away, neutral, rotation? If we have to play late season games at 7:30 on a Saturday night, better at Sofi than Memorial.

If we stop playing FCS teams at home we can upgrade the home schedule. Maybe we play Hawaii in Hawaii (for the late, late TV slot) and get to add a 13th game?

It doesn't have to be horrible.
philbert

Golden One
BigDaddy said:

BREAKING:@jasonscheer joined @SicEm365Radio on Monday and said that from what he has heard, ESPN's offer to the PAC 12 schools was "brutal."

"The number I heard from a few people last week was 24 and a half (million), which is brutal. It's not even close to being good enough."

"I would say if the PAC-12 wants to keep schools involved it's gotta be closer to lower 30's as a starting point."

"Now, again it could be a situation where ESPN did that on purpose, that could be the offer; we don't really know."

"It could be a low offer, and then the PAC-12 asks, you know, other sources to raise that amount, which I think is probably the most likely situation."

"But the initial ESPN offer that I've heard is 24.5 and that absolutely won't come close to keeping the conference alive."

Why do we have to be totally at the mercy of ESPN and perhaps Fox. Can't we get NBC, CBS, or ABC in the game?
sycasey
Golden One said:

BigDaddy said:

BREAKING:@jasonscheer joined @SicEm365Radio on Monday and said that from what he has heard, ESPN's offer to the PAC 12 schools was "brutal."

"The number I heard from a few people last week was 24 and a half (million), which is brutal. It's not even close to being good enough."

"I would say if the PAC-12 wants to keep schools involved it's gotta be closer to lower 30's as a starting point."

"Now, again it could be a situation where ESPN did that on purpose, that could be the offer; we don't really know."

"It could be a low offer, and then the PAC-12 asks, you know, other sources to raise that amount, which I think is probably the most likely situation."

"But the initial ESPN offer that I've heard is 24.5 and that absolutely won't come close to keeping the conference alive."

Why do we have to be totally at the mercy of ESPN and perhaps Fox. Can't we get NBC, CBS, or ABC in the game?

ABC and ESPN are one and the same now.

The others, maybe.
ferCALgm2
Golden One said:

BigDaddy said:

ABC is owned by ESPN. But yes to NBC, and CBS. I would hope they would get involved.
southseasbear
TomBear said:

Exactly. I told my brother (a Michigan alumnus) that if Cal is pushed into the MWC, my season ticket days are over. His response was that we would win more. I said that if we would lose our top players and be competitive at best. Yes, I'd watch games on TV, whether they are on Friday night, Saturday morning, or whenever. But my days of driving up from LA will be over.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
calumnus
calumnus
ferCALgm2 said:

Golden One said:

BigDaddy said:

ABC is owned by ESPN. But yes to NBC, and CBS. I would hope they would get involved.

Jeff Shell, CEO of NBC Universal, is a Cal alum
https://www.nbcuniversal.com/leadership/jeff-shel

Inducted into the SoCal Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in 2010:
https://scjewishsportshof.com/shell.html
Strykur
Well boys, you want Thursday/Friday nights, or risk it and go independent?
Bobodeluxe
Strykur said:

Well boys, you want Thursday/Friday nights, or risk it and go independent?
Not truly a Hobson's choice, but the future of Cal football sucks either way.
Econ141
southseasbear said:

TomBear said:

Exactly. I told my brother (a Michigan alumnus) that if Cal is pushed into the MWC, my season ticket days are over. His response was that we would win more. I said that if we would lose our top players and be competitive at best. Yes, I'd watch games on TV, whether they are on Friday night, Saturday morning, or whenever. But my days of driving up from LA will be over.

If we go to MWC - I will never give another dime to Christ and Knowlton. These fools and their predecessors had a gold mine -- a beautiful stadium in a beautiful setting at one of the best research institutions in the world and they squandered it. The whole lot of them should be fired if we end up anywhere but B1G ... And even then they should be fired unless it can be proven that they actually did something to get us in and we just didn't sneak by based on the media market angle.
Strykur
fat_slice said:

southseasbear said:

TomBear said:

If we go to MWC - I will never give another dime to Christ and Knowlton. These fools and their predecessors had a gold mine -- a beautiful stadium in a beautiful setting at one of the best research institutions in the world and they squandered it. The whole lot of them should be fired if we end up anywhere but B1G ... And even then they should be fired unless it can be proven that they actually did something to get us in and we just didn't sneak by based on the media market angle.
Like I have been saying for weeks now - independent.
Econ141
Strykur said:

fat_slice said:

southseasbear said:

TomBear said:

I would trust our admins even less if we went independent. They would really be counted on for leadership.

We need a conference that can pay us 100mm just to keep us solvent and the alumni engaged. I don't see this happening unless we have some real baller alums that are going to get together, take power over our football program, and create a visionary path. Heck - in that scenario I would be comfortable going independent.
Strykur
fat_slice said:

Strykur said:

fat_slice said:

southseasbear said:

TomBear said:

I would trust our admins even less if we went independent. They would really be counted on for leadership.

We need a conference that can pay us 100mm just to keep us solvent and the alumni engaged. I don't see this happening unless we have some real baller alums that are going to get together, take power over our football program, and create a visionary path. Heck - in that scenario I would be comfortable going independent.
Independence is sink or swim, they would have to show capability and embrace their culpability for our predicament in such a circumstance, going into the Mountain West is essentially an easy surrender to mediocrity with no upside, at least our schedule could be somewhat interesting with total control of the schedule (and presumably ND would no longer be an independent since this all unfolds with them joining the Big Ten).
calumnus
fat_slice said:

Strykur said:

fat_slice said:

southseasbear said:

TomBear said:

I agree, we will not be saved by Knowlton or Christ. They are in way over their heads on this. We need connected, savvy alum/boosters to take over the program.
oskidunker
Please explain neutral site posts.
Go Bears!
maxer
ferCALgm2 said:

Golden One said:

BigDaddy said:

ESPN and Fox have an exclusive negotiating window. Fox is all-in on the Big10, and ESPN has zero incentive to negotiate against themselves in this exclusive window. I suspect ESPN will be the winner, but not until later when other networks/streaming services have been able to bid.
Econ141
calumnus said:

fat_slice said:

Strykur said:

fat_slice said:

southseasbear said:

TomBear said:

I agree, we will not be saved by Knowlton or Christ. They are in way over their heads on this. We need connected, savvy alum/boosters to take over the program.

Unfortunately our wealthy alums are not fans of football. This is why I am so wholely pessimistic about this scenarios we have no say - we are at the whim of the pac-12 commish.
philly1121
fat_slice said:

Strykur said:

fat_slice said:

southseasbear said:

TomBear said:

No conference - Big 10, Pac10/12 or Big12 is going to pay us $100 million. Its not happening.

The best we can hope for is that we get in the neighborhood of $60-80 million, accept the schedule that benefits the conference the most (yes, that probably means more night games), hope and pray that all the conference realigning stops for a year, and hope and pray we can turn it around and at least go 8-4 this campaign and then do even better the following season. I think that would be best case scenario.
BigDaddy
Strykur said:

fat_slice said:

There are currently 7 independents in D-1. Notre Dame, BYU, Liberty, Army, New Mexico State, UConn, UMass. BYU Is Big XII bound. ND may be considering B1G membership.

Cal as an independent would likely resemble UMass, UConn or New Mexico State. How is that better than what they are now?
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
bearsandgiants
If I win the mega millions jackpot tonight, I promise to help turn things around.
Bobodeluxe
bearsandgiants said:

If I win the mega millions jackpot tonight, I promise to help turn things around.
If everyone would donate just 1% of their bitcoin earnings this year, we would be fat.
MrGPAC
maxer said:

ferCALgm2 said:

Golden One said:

BigDaddy said:

ESPN and Fox have an exclusive negotiating window. Fox is all-in on the Big10, and ESPN has zero incentive to negotiate against themselves in this exclusive window. I suspect ESPN will be the winner, but not until later when other networks/streaming services have been able to bid.

If Fox / the B1G are looking to expand further into the Pac12 in the future I wonder if it would be worth their while to invest in the Pac12 (depending on how much it costs obviously).

If the Pac12 signs an exclusive contract with ESPN for 5-10 years that would make prying, say Oregon away in 3-4 years a lot more difficult (and would give ESPN ownership over two really big prizes in the ACC which includes ND's conference rights in the event they join one for football, AND the Pac12). If Fox already owned the media rights they would have a lot more control in letting those schools go.

Its at least *some* incentive for them to bid on the Pac12 rights.
Unit2Sucks
Well at least we know who the biggest Negabear is. Congrats BigDaddy!
Econ141
Unit2Sucks said:

We have an alternative term for Negabears at Cal ... Their called realists.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

fat_slice is giving him a good run for it.
ducky23
sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

fat_slice is giving him a good run for it.

Big dog. Big daddy. Fat slice. They are all the same person right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.