The Latest Rumors

228,825 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
People are still viewing this from a 1950s or 1970s perspective. Academic reputation of an institution is pretty irrelevant. Survival is about money. Money comes from TV revenue. TV revenue comes from advertising revenue. Advertising revenue is driven by viewership. We need big or growing metropolitan markets not Phd programs.

Frankly, if our leadership had realized this at any point in the past 20 years we wouldn't need to add teams because we would have made moves that resulted in our LA schools staying. See the LA departures for what they are - a big huge massive wake-up call
southseasbear
tequila4kapp said:

People are still viewing this from a 1950s or 1970s perspective. Academic reputation of an institution is pretty irrelevant. Survival is about money. Money comes from TV revenue. TV revenue comes from advertising revenue. Advertising revenue is driven by viewership. We need big or growing metropolitan markets not Phd programs.

Frankly, if our leadership had realized this at any point in the past 20 years we wouldn't need to add teams because we would have made moves that resulted in our LA schools staying. See the LA departures for what they are - a big huge massive wake-up call
We had an opportunity to accept Oklahoma and OK State just a few years ago, which would have given credibility to the conference. The rationale was that having 14 teams was too unwieldy. Even if that's true, it would have been one step closer to 16. In the meantime the conference could have tried two 7 team divisions.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
sosheezy
The notion of keeping SDSU out of the PAC based on some marginal academic difference when they are the clear geographic Number 1 prospect for both travel and market and likely most additive to media rights is insane. Conferences are about football. Conference Survival is about football. If SDSU is the best option for football reasons, you gotta add them.
wifeisafurd
well one AD not at Cal told me today that if there is expansion, the number 1 caudate sill is SDSU. Take that for whatever it is worth. The media contract is coming boys and gils and I would be more worried about keeping certain teams happy (e.g., Usub and Oregon).
PtownBear1
sosheezy said:

The notion of keeping SDSU out of the PAC based on some marginal academic difference when they are the clear geographic Number 1 prospect for both travel and market and likely most additive to media rights is insane. Conferences are about football. Conference Survival is about football. If SDSU is the best option for football reasons, you gotta add them.

Is there really a difference academically between SDSU and the Arizona and Oregon schools?
dimitrig
PtownBear1 said:

sosheezy said:

Is there really a difference academically between SDSU and the Arizona and Oregon schools?

Yes.
95bears
southseasbear said:

movielover said:

southseasbear said:

95bears said:

movielover said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

- Looking less likely that the Regents will block or materially impair UCLA's move to the B10
- The addition of SDSU is also less likely than it appeared 2 months ago. Academic and cultural fit with P12 found to be less than ideal
Re UCLA: Looking less likely than the 0.0001% chance of blocking it that was the case before now?

Re SDSU: I'm always skeptical of the "academic and cultural fit" excuse. Academically, SDSU is not much different from Arizona State (remember when Zonies referred to ASU as "Cal State Tempe"), and SDSU is academically better than Washington State.

If SDSU is not a likely addition, it is probably because the TV networks don't want to pay more for a 12-team Pac than they would pay for a 10-team Pac, thus the existing members would each make more money if no one is added. Conversely, if TV offers to make it profitable for the existing members to add SDSU (or UNLV, Boise State, SMU, or whomever), then they will be added.
No big fan of SDSU, but I believe you are way wrong on academics (please correct if I misstate). Back in the day Chico State and SDSU were little more than party schools. I believe that a few years back SDSU drew its enrollment back from around 40,000 to about 25,000 and the requirements for admission went up to make it
4.0U. And in the following years it became more and more difficult to gain entrance. No ASU is SDSU. ASU you do need a pulse though.

We should take US News with a grain of salt, but for what it's worth, here are their most recent rankings of "national universities" for comparison:

#38 UC Davis*
#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) San Diego State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

Whatever rankings you prefer, in the post-LA Pac-12, the consensus of rankings is that the only elite universities are Cal, Stanford, and Washington.

Not liking mentioning this but where do you put U$C and UCLA? First off, out of the Pac 12, but interested in your rankings.....

I would go: Furd #1, Cal close #2, fUCLA a not so close #3, U$C wherever the alums want to put them. I would place behind UW. The rest, not so good.
UCLA, and maybe USC depending on how far you want to stretch the definition, would also be in the elite category. But they are gone, gone, gone from the Pac.

ARWU worldwide ranking:
2. Stanford
5. UC Berkeley
13. UCLA
17. Washington
53. USC

THE worldwide ranking:
3. (tie) Stanford
8. UC Berkeley
21. UCLA
26. Washington
63. UC Davis*
65. USC

US News "global university" ranking:
3. Stanford
4. UC Berkeley
6. Washington
14. UCLA
73. UC Davis*
80. USC

Bold = list updated
I am biased being from Sacto but it would be great if there could be some master plan to get Davis into D1/ Pac12 and take over the central valley slot currently held by Fresno. There is a good team to be had owning the Valley, Sacto, Reno, and the zone up to Redding (which we pass on scouting).

No. Adds nothing to the media footprint. The point of SD St. is that it adds the So. Cal market. UNLV adds the LV metropolitan area which is small, but growing. I think they would be good
additions.

So is the Central Valley counted as part of the
Bay Area? Sacramento kind of a no man's land, not Bear Territory, or Stanford, or Fresno (hours away).

Not that it would be an easy jump for Davis or Sac State. Though the Aggies just opened a new $50 Million athletic performance facility.
Central Valley does not have the population to add value. Sacramento is less than 2 hours from Berkeley. San Diego and Las Vegas (not to mention Texas) expands the conference media market. Sacramento, Fresno, and Boise do not.
Sacto is the #19 TV market. Fresno is #55. Chico is #80.
San Diego is 27.

Sac and the Central Valley are *NOT* aligned with Cal and they don't watch us except we get the area ratings because either us or Stanford are on in local bars. It's all red/purple state and the view is that "Berkeley" is still a hippy school. If anything Northern, more affluent Sacramento (Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, Folsom) all identify more closely with Stanford (a huge development and country club in Roseville / Rocklin is called Stanford Ranch).

Kids in that region all grow up shooting for Davis with Berkeley and Stanford being the moon shoot schools, and most don't know that "Berkeley" even has a football team. Those that want to get out of the Valley apply to UCLA, UCSB, SDSU or SLO.

southseasbear
95bears said:

southseasbear said:

movielover said:

southseasbear said:

95bears said:

movielover said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

- Looking less likely that the Regents will block or materially impair UCLA's move to the B10
- The addition of SDSU is also less likely than it appeared 2 months ago. Academic and cultural fit with P12 found to be less than ideal
Re UCLA: Looking less likely than the 0.0001% chance of blocking it that was the case before now?

Re SDSU: I'm always skeptical of the "academic and cultural fit" excuse. Academically, SDSU is not much different from Arizona State (remember when Zonies referred to ASU as "Cal State Tempe"), and SDSU is academically better than Washington State.

If SDSU is not a likely addition, it is probably because the TV networks don't want to pay more for a 12-team Pac than they would pay for a 10-team Pac, thus the existing members would each make more money if no one is added. Conversely, if TV offers to make it profitable for the existing members to add SDSU (or UNLV, Boise State, SMU, or whomever), then they will be added.
No big fan of SDSU, but I believe you are way wrong on academics (please correct if I misstate). Back in the day Chico State and SDSU were little more than party schools. I believe that a few years back SDSU drew its enrollment back from around 40,000 to about 25,000 and the requirements for admission went up to make it
4.0U. And in the following years it became more and more difficult to gain entrance. No ASU is SDSU. ASU you do need a pulse though.

We should take US News with a grain of salt, but for what it's worth, here are their most recent rankings of "national universities" for comparison:

#38 UC Davis*
#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

Whatever rankings you prefer, in the post-LA Pac-12, the consensus of rankings is that the only elite universities are Cal, Stanford, and Washington.

Not liking mentioning this but where do you put U$C and UCLA? First off, out of the Pac 12, but interested in your rankings.....

I would go: Furd #1, Cal close #2, fUCLA a not so close #3, U$C wherever the alums want to put them. I would place behind UW. The rest, not so good.
UCLA, and maybe USC depending on how far you want to stretch the definition, would also be in the elite category. But they are gone, gone, gone from the Pac.

ARWU worldwide ranking:
2. Stanford
5. UC Berkeley
13. UCLA
17. Washington
53. USC

THE worldwide ranking:
3. (tie) Stanford
8. UC Berkeley
21. UCLA
26. Washington
63. UC Davis*
65. USC

3. Stanford
4. UC Berkeley
6. Washington
14. UCLA
73. UC Davis*
80. USC

Bold = list updated
I am biased being from Sacto but it would be great if there could be some master plan to get Davis into D1/ Pac12 and take over the central valley slot currently held by Fresno. There is a good team to be had owning the Valley, Sacto, Reno, and the zone up to Redding (which we pass on scouting).

No. Adds nothing to the media footprint. The point of SD St. is that it adds the So. Cal market. UNLV adds the LV metropolitan area which is small, but growing. I think they would be good
additions.

Bay Area? Sacramento kind of a no man's land, not Bear Territory, or Stanford, or Fresno (hours away).

Not that it would be an easy jump for Davis or Sac State. Though the Aggies just opened a new $50 Million athletic performance facility.
Central Valley does not have the population to add value. Sacramento is less than 2 hours from Berkeley. San Diego and Las Vegas (not to mention Texas) expands the conference media market. Sacramento, Fresno, and Boise do not.
San Diego is 27.

Sac and the Central Valley are *NOT* aligned with Cal and they don't watch us except we get the area ratings because either us or Stanford are on in local bars. It's all red/purple state and the view is that "Berkeley" is still a hippy school. If anything Northern, more affluent Sacramento (Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, Folsom) all identify more closely with Stanford (a huge development and country club in Roseville / Rocklin is called Stanford Ranch).

Kids in that region all grow up shooting for Davis with Berkeley and Stanford being the moon shoot schools, and most don't know that "Berkeley" even has a football team. Those that want to get out of the Valley apply to UCLA, UCSB, SDSU or SLO.

I don't know what this has to do with conference expansion. First, the point of admitting SDSU is not to get the limited SD market but the much larger Southern California. Sac may be a larger market but it is adjacent to the Bay and therefore does not add any value to the conference. Do you think Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona will be as excited about getting Sacramento or Fresno as they will Southern California? Third, I don't want Fresno. How can can we compete in recruiting with a school where students don't even have to go to classes?
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
oski003
southseasbear said:

95bears said:

southseasbear said:

movielover said:

southseasbear said:

95bears said:

movielover said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

#38 UC Davis*
#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

ARWU worldwide ranking:
2. Stanford
5. UC Berkeley
13. UCLA
17. Washington
53. USC

THE worldwide ranking:
3. (tie) Stanford
8. UC Berkeley
21. UCLA
26. Washington
63. UC Davis*
65. USC

3. Stanford
4. UC Berkeley
6. Washington
14. UCLA
73. UC Davis*
80. USC

Bold = list updated

additions.

San Diego is 27.

I don't know what this has to do with conference expansion. First, the point of admitting SDSU is not to get the limited SD market but the much larger Southern California. Sac may be a larger market but it is adjacent to the Bay and therefore does not add any value to the conference. Do you think Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona will be as excited about getting Sacramento or Fresno as they will Southern California? Third, I don't want Fresno. How can can we compete in recruiting with a school where students don't even have to go to classes?

How can can we compete in recruiting with a school where students don't even have to go to classes?

We are in the NCAA right? Are we pretending that other schools require football players to attend classes? Also, do scholarship limits even matter anymore? Schools with massive NIL funds can pay walk-ons, right?
BearSD
southseasbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

We had an opportunity to accept Oklahoma and OK State just a few years ago, which would have given credibility to the conference.
The perception of the presidents, which was probably correct, was that the application of OU and OK State was a ploy made in the hope of "forcing" Texas to join. When Texas made it clear they were not joining even if OU did, there wasn't much reason to invite the Okies. If they had been invited, they would have turned it down once they were finally convinced Texas would not join them here.
wifeisafurd
dimitrig said:

PtownBear1 said:

sosheezy said:

Yes.

SDSU is full of local kids that were accepted at UC Riverside, the loser school you are directed to if you don't get into UCSD. FWIW, SDSU and Cal Poly SLO have about the same acceptance rates and student qualifications, and I would put SLO against any of the Arizona and Oregon schools, and WSU.

The Pac CEOs were okay with their academics after SDSU recently instituted a massive upgrade to their grad program.

If SDSU is not coming, it must have something to do with financial reasons (like they don't bing much TV revenue to the table).
wifeisafurd
dimitrig said:

Big Dog said:

fwiw: By the metrics of teh poobahs, both Arizona State and Wazzou are R1, Very High Research. SDSU is classified as High Research.

We should add another UC before adding SDSU

sure we need somebody Cal can beat, at least in football. Screw the money aspect, no one cares about that other than USC or UCLA (sarcasm emoji).
Big Dog
wifeisafurd said:

dimitrig said:

Big Dog said:

fwiw: By the metrics of teh poobahs, both Arizona State and Wazzou are R1, Very High Research. SDSU is classified as High Research.

sure we need somebody Cal can beat, at least in football. Screw the money aspect, no one cares about that other than USC or UCLA (sarcasm emoji).
well, if we want to add somebody both Football and men's Basketball can beat, perhaps Scripps College would want to upgrade. Or, I heard Mark Fox could out recruit Little Sisters of the Poor.
philly1121
Yeah, I mean - there is no other university left on the West Coast that has a football team and has decent academics.

For those people asking for UCSD to get a football team. Never going to happen. Never. Never. Never. San Diego will get an NFL team before UCSD gets a football team, let alone a D1 team. Two teams own the market down there - the Aztecs and the Padres. I think there is still a large following of Chargers fans down there but that's it.

Some posters on here want academics to be the driver. Have we not learned our lessons here? Do academics and tradition drive things anymore? Yes, of course we are Cal and its the Pac12 so it does matter in some sense. But its probably #5 on the list and rightfully should be. SDSU would be the only choice for any kind of SoCal presence.

tequila4kapp
Agree. And depending on the numbers there's a case to be made for a UNLV or SMU type school, then building the brand in a new and hopefully growing market.
southseasbear
oski003 said:

southseasbear said:

95bears said:

southseasbear said:

movielover said:

southseasbear said:

95bears said:

movielover said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

#38 UC Davis*
#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

ARWU worldwide ranking:
2. Stanford
5. UC Berkeley
13. UCLA
17. Washington
53. USC

THE worldwide ranking:
3. (tie) Stanford
8. UC Berkeley
21. UCLA
26. Washington
63. UC Davis*
65. USC

3. Stanford
4. UC Berkeley
6. Washington
14. UCLA
73. UC Davis*
80. USC

Bold = list updated

additions.

San Diego is 27.

How can can we compete in recruiting with a school where students don't even have to go to classes?

We are in the NCAA right? Are we pretending that other schools require football players to attend classes? Also, do scholarship limits even matter anymore? Schools with massive NIL funds can pay walk-ons, right?
My point is that football players who believe they have NFL potential and live in Nor Cal, will choose Fresno over us. Tedford does a great job in preparing players for the pros. And if they choose Fresno they won't have to worry about the academic challenges they would face at Cal but can concentrate on football. Currently, our advantage is the exposure they get in the Pac 12, but that advantage disappears if Fresno joins the conference.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
movielover
Boise - 235,000
Dallas (SMU) - 1,300,000
San Diego - 1,400,000 - #27 TV market
Idaho population - 1,900,000
Sac Valley - 2,100,000 - #19 TV market

Sports offered

SDSU - 17
Boise State - 16
SMU - 17
UC Davis - 25

No new addition seems perfect.
BearSD
The Pac is not going to add any new members that don't already play FBS football, the top level of college football.

San Jose State, Fresno State, and San Diego State play FBS football. So do Cal, Stanford, USC, and UCLA.

UC Davis, Sac State, Cal Poly SLO, and University of San Diego all play FCS football, which has fewer scholarships.

A team can't move from FCS to FBS overnight, it takes a few years to "transition", and also requires, among other things, the addition of new women's sports at the school to offset the increase in football scholarships.

Forget about Davis or any other FCS team joining the Pac now. That is fantasy. The only possible additions, if any team at all gets added, are teams in the Mountain West Conference -- SJSU, Fresno, SDSU, UNLV, etc. -- or, if the conference really wants to stretch itself geographically, SMU or another Texas team in its conference, the American Athletic Conference.
Pittstop
Cal has recruited a lot of players from the Sacramento area, including TT, Sydney Quan, Oladejo, and many others. So the prep players in that area certainly know about Cal, and know where Berkeley is.
95bears
Pittstop said:

Cal has recruited a lot of players from the Sacramento area, including TT, Sydney Quan, Oladejo, and many others. So the prep players in that area certainly know about Cal, and know where Berkeley is.
More D1 prospects head out of the area (am counting Modesto/Stockton to Chico/Redding) than go to Cal. Even with Sacramento proper I think that's true.

What I was advocating for as a blue sky idea was Davis putting an investment into Football and sucking in the Central Valley including taking a chunk out of Fresno State's recruiting base (i.e. the smarter players). That *does* add to the media footprint because those people aren't watching the Bay Area schools anyway. I see way more Oregon stickers in windows north of Sacramento than Cal/Furd.
Bobodeluxe
95bears said:

Pittstop said:

More D1 prospects head out of the area (am counting Modesto/Stockton to Chico/Redding) than go to Cal. Even with Sacramento proper I think that's true.

What I was advocating for as a blue sky idea was Davis putting an investment into Football and sucking in the Central Valley including taking a chunk out of Fresno State's recruiting base (i.e. the smarter players). That *does* add to the media footprint because those people aren't watching the Bay Area schools anyway. I see way more Oregon stickers in windows north of Sacramento than Cal/Furd.
Oregon is the capital of the state of Jefferson.
GivemTheAxe
Big Dog said:

wifeisafurd said:

dimitrig said:

Big Dog said:

well, if we want to add somebody both Football and men's Basketball can beat, perhaps Scripps College would want to upgrade. Or, I heard Mark Fox could out recruit Little Sisters of the Poor.

I wouldn't bet against the Little Sisters of the Poor either in recruiting or in a game against Cal's MBB. They play pretty tough defense and would give Mark Fox a real run for the money. They get recruits who are really committed and won't take advantage of the Transfer Portal.
berserkeley
95bears said:

Pittstop said:

And you just hit the nail on the head as to why adding a Central Valley school makes little sense. Oregon is in the Pac-12.

The point is that the Pac-12 schools already recruit well in the Sacramento area. Players that leave for Ohio State and Georgia aren't going to suddenly start signing with Cal and Oregon just because Davis is in the conference. They might sign with Davis, but the Pac-12 isn't going to expand as an act of a charity.

And while there may be room for the Pac-12 to expand the TV market in the Central Valley, the Pac-12 as a whole has enough presence there that the sports broadcasters aren't going to pay the Pac-12 much for adding a Sacramento area team. Certainly no where near the $30M+/yr that's required.

Adding teams in SoCal, Nevada, or Texas at least expand the footprint into markets where the Pac-12 has no recruiting or media footprint. But it's not obvious that the available teams in those areas move the needle in their markets enough for it to be worth it to the Pac-12.
wifeisafurd
berserkeley said:

95bears said:

Pittstop said:

And you just hit the nail on the head as to why adding a Central Valley school makes little sense. Oregon is in the Pac-12.

The point is that the Pac-12 schools already recruit well in the Sacramento area. Players that leave for Ohio State and Georgia aren't going to suddenly start signing with Cal and Oregon just because Davis is in the conference. They might sign with Davis, but the Pac-12 isn't going to expand as an act of a charity.

And while there may be room for the Pac-12 to expand the TV market in the Central Valley, the Pac-12 as a whole has enough presence there that the sports broadcasters aren't going to pay the Pac-12 much for adding a Sacramento area team. Certainly no where near the $30M+/yr that's required.

Adding teams in SoCal, Nevada, or Texas at least expand the footprint into markets where the Pac-12 has no recruiting or media footprint. But it's not obvious that the available teams in those areas move the needle in their markets enough for it to be worth it to the Pac-12.

Good points. This is why the next media deal needs to be a winner or certain existing Pac programs will be looking for alternatives in order to stay relevant.
BearlyCareAnymore
movielover said:

Boise - 235,000
Dallas (SMU) - 1,300,000

Sports offered

SDSU - 17
Boise State - 16
SMU - 17
UC Davis - 25

There seems to be an assumption that every school at a lower level would love to move up. Been a long time since I've been anywhere near Davis, but last I knew, they liked their football the way it was. In fact, I remember the last time they bumped up a level, there was a lot of debate about it because they didn't want to ruin what they had.

Davis would need to expand their stadium to move up to the Pac-12. (Currently 10K seats) They'd likely have to increase their budget for football coaches alone by $7M - $10M + increase number of scholarships and probably their overall budget as well. Add in additional travel for the whole department and increases in coaching and facilities budgets across the board. You're looking at tens of millions of added expenses that I don't think will be recouped by the pay out, and all this so they can likely get pummeled by the rest of the conference because they would immediately have a lot of the same problems Cal has except probably more so. If Cal wanted to pull Davis into the Pac 12, my guess is Davis' response would be that Cal is welcome to join them down there if they wish.
southseasbear
BearlyCareAnymore said:

movielover said:

Boise - 235,000
Dallas (SMU) - 1,300,000

Sports offered

SDSU - 17
Boise State - 16
SMU - 17
UC Davis - 25

There seems to be an assumption that every school at a lower level would love to move up. Been a long time since I've been anywhere near Davis, but last I knew, they liked their football the way it was. In fact, I remember the last time they bumped up a level, there was a lot of debate about it because they didn't want to ruin what they had.

Davis would need to expand their stadium to move up to the Pac-12. (Currently 10K seats) They'd likely have to increase their budget for football coaches alone by $7M - $10M + increase number of scholarships and probably their overall budget as well. Add in additional travel for the whole department and increases in coaching and facilities budgets across the board. You're looking at tens of millions of added expenses that I don't think will be recouped by the pay out, and all this so they can likely get pummeled by the rest of the conference because they would immediately have a lot of the same problems Cal has except probably more so. If Cal wanted to pull Davis into the Pac 12, my guess is Davis' response would be that Cal is welcome to join them down there if they wish.
That may be in our future considering the inept leadership we have.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
CaliforniaEternal
The chancellor just reiterated on a campus broadcast that she thinks that more conferences is better for college athletics and she values the amateur athlete instead of the professional athlete model. That really sounds to me like she cares more about ucla staying than having Cal join the B1G. She did not discuss the woeful state of our revenue programs.
dimitrig
CaliforniaEternal said:

The chancellor just reiterated on a campus broadcast that she thinks that more conferences is better for college athletics and she values the amateur athlete instead of the professional athlete model. That really sounds to me like she cares more about ucla staying than having Cal join the B1G. She did not discuss the woeful state of our revenue programs.

I guess we're going to have to drop D1 football and basketball.

Does she realize that means other sports will have to be cut as well?

Econ141
CaliforniaEternal said:

Does she not care that these athletes were being taken advantage of through the amateur model? Nope. Does anyone leading the landscape change to cfb care what she thinks? She is running our program into the ground and all we can do is watch.
calumnus
Econ141 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

Does she not care that these athletes were being taken advantage of through the amateur model? Nope. Does anyone leading the landscape change to cfb care what she thinks? She is running our program into the ground and all we can do is watch.

How many times did we have to hear that she and Knowlton are the best chancellor and AD combo we have ever had for athletics? That Christ is working tirelessly to get us into the B1G? And this was from insiders and major boosters.

The ONLY saving grace is that the new play for play environment is not her choice or under her control. It is now the law of the country and the law gives control to the boosters.

All we need is for our boosters to see Christ and Knowlton clearly for what they are, stop spreading BS that they are going to save us, stop being sycophants, and stop giving them money to throw away and instead put it into booster controlled funds and taking control over the AD, telling Knowlton what to do like boosters at other schools do.

Our alumni base is large, wealthier, smarter and more innovative than the competition. The new environment is actually one in which Cal can excel.

Developing a well funded booster organization that pays players and elects a shadow AD is the path forward.
Econ141
calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

How many times did we have to hear that she and Knowlton are the best chancellor and AD combo we have ever had for athletics? That Christ is working tirelessly to get us into the B1G? And this was from insiders and major boosters.

The ONLY saving grace is that the new play for play environment is not her choice or under her control. It is now the law of the country and the law gives control to the boosters.

All we need is for our boosters to see Christ and Knowlton clearly for what they are, stop spreading BS that they are going to save us, stop being sycophants, and stop giving them money to throw away and instead put it into booster controlled funds and taking control over the AD, telling Knowlton what to do like boosters at other schools do.

Our alumni base is large, wealthier, smarter and more innovative than the competition. The new environment is actually one in which Cal can excel.

Developing a well funded booster organization that pays players and elects a shadow AD is the path forward.

My gosh this is so the way. It's a win-win because then Christ and Knowlton can go back to not giving a damn about football but legitimately so. Let the donors and fans who care about Cal football take control.
HearstMining
CaliforniaEternal said:

The Aggies do sell out many of their games, so there is student support, but it is a small stadium. In fact, the student body recently voted to change the mascot from a mustang to . . . a cow. Of course, for older Cal alums that may resonate: "Farms in Berkeley? Moooooo!"
dimitrig
HearstMining said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

The Aggies do sell out many of their games, so there is student support, but it is a small stadium. In fact, the student body recently voted to change the mascot from a mustang to . . . a cow. Of course, for older Cal alums that may resonate: "Farms in Berkeley? Moooooo!"

We should change our mascot to Charlie Brown.

CaliforniaEternal
dimitrig said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

I guess we're going to have to drop D1 football and basketball.

Does she realize that means other sports will have to be cut as well?

It will be interesting to see whether her personal opinion guides the decisions to be made about athletics over other factors like revenue needs to balance an ever-widening athletics budget. An amateur model for all sports means an amateur model for no sports unless campus continues to make huge subsidies. If the P10 media deal comes in weak, you're looking at $50M annual deficits. At those levels, you're better off shutting down the entire program and offering those seats to normal paying students.
MrGPAC
Econ141 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

The student athletes WERE being taken advantage of. That was a bad system.

The current system is absolute chaos and I am not a huge fan of it either. That said, it is admittedly better than what we had before.

There is definitely middle ground to be had. Its too bad the NCAA was too busy keeping its head in the sand on the issue to be pro-active and create a system where athletes were properly compensated for their value. At this point it may be too late. I'm not so sure everything is just going to "course correct". People are fanatical about sports, and boosters have a lot of money they are willing to lose in the pursuit of winning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.