The Latest Rumors

228,900 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
Oski87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If they add SMU, why not take Tulane? I could be down with visiting New Orleans....top 20 football program and AAU member.

My nephew went there and we sat in the football stadium for graduation. Pretty small - I think 30,000 seats. SMU stadium is 32,000 seats. Those two stadiums are about the size of WSU (32,000 and OSU (27,000 but expanding to 36,000 next year).
berserkeley
wifeisafurd said:

From what appears to be a reliable source: SMU is in negotiations to join the Pac.

You wold think that another Texas school would be involved for travel and other reasons. If so, hopefully that school is not Rice.

That it's SMU makes me think the Pac-12 would only be adding one Texas school and that SDSU would be the other school. We're not poaching anyone from the Big XII and there's no one else left.
BearGreg
Staff
Two updates:

- Looking less likely that the Regents will block or materially impair UCLA's move to the B10
- The addition of SDSU is also less likely than it appeared 2 months ago. Academic and cultural fit with P12 found to be less than ideal
berserkeley
BearGreg said:

Two updates:

- Looking less likely that the Regents will block or materially impair UCLA's move to the B10
- The addition of SDSU is also less likely than it appeared 2 months ago. Academic and cultural fit with P12 found to be less than ideal

That's discouraging.

What P5 schools in the West are better academic fits than SDSU? SMU, Rice, Air Force? Everyone else is below SDSU. If the Pac-12 expands to SMU and Rice, it would be a publicity nightmare.
bipolarbear
BearGreg said:

Two updates:

Worse than Arizona State?
tequila4kapp
berserkeley said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

That's discouraging.

What P5 schools in the West are better academic fits than SDSU? SMU, Rice, Air Force? Everyone else is below SDSU. If the Pac-12 expands to SMU and Rice, it would be a publicity nightmare.
The P12 chancellors have to come to grips with the fact the purest version of their academic interests are incompatible with the future makeup of the P12. We need more content than 10 teams offer and we need valuable tv markets. If they fear that will bring some negative publicity...they can choose to dissolve the conference.
BearSD
BearGreg said:

Two updates:

Re UCLA: Looking less likely than the 0.0001% chance of blocking it that was the case before now?

Re SDSU: I'm always skeptical of the "academic and cultural fit" excuse. Academically, SDSU is not much different from Arizona State (remember when Zonies referred to ASU as "Cal State Tempe"), and SDSU is academically better than Washington State.

If SDSU is not a likely addition, it is probably because the TV networks don't want to pay more for a 12-team Pac than they would pay for a 10-team Pac, thus the existing members would each make more money if no one is added. Conversely, if TV offers to make it profitable for the existing members to add SDSU (or UNLV, Boise State, SMU, or whomever), then they will be added.
calumnus
BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

Re UCLA: Looking less likely than the 0.0001% chance of blocking it that was the case before now?

Re SDSU: I'm always skeptical of the "academic and cultural fit" excuse. Academically, SDSU is not much different from Arizona State (remember when Zonies referred to ASU as "Cal State Tempe"), and SDSU is academically better than Washington State.

If SDSU is not a likely addition, it is probably because the TV networks don't want to pay more for a 12-team Pac than they would pay for a 10-team Pac, thus the existing members would each make more money if no one is added. Conversely, if TV offers to make it profitable for the existing members to add SDSU (or UNLV, Boise State, SMU, or whomever), then they will be added.

Staying as the Pac-10 might be best. It would give the current members a good shot at the CFP.

The issue is the SoCal market. How about this, Disney/ESPN sponsor 5 bi-weekly PAC-10 night games at Anaheim Stadium, ticket packages includes passes to Disneyland. Every team would play in it once each year. Would be a draw for fans and SoCsl recruits.
tequila4kapp
I suspect they need more content than what is provided by 10 teams.
BearSD
tequila4kapp said:

I suspect they need more content than what is provided by 10 teams.
I don't know whether TV wants 10 or 12, but another possible factor is that the Pac members who are least likely to ever get a ticket to the Big Ten may want more members now so that there are still a good number left if/when a few more leave. That's why the Big 12 added four new members, for 12 total, instead of adding two, for 10 total.
Econ141
I guess all the work Christ and Knowlton did (clearly they put in so much work they couldn't get to the bottom of the McKeever issue) didn't amount to anything. Surprise, surprise.
Big Dog
fwiw: By the metrics of teh poobahs, both Arizona State and Wazzou are R1, Very High Research. SDSU is classified as High Research.
dimitrig
Big Dog said:

fwiw: By the metrics of teh poobahs, both Arizona State and Wazzou are R1, Very High Research. SDSU is classified as High Research.

We should add another UC before adding SDSU

wifeisafurd
Oski87 said:

If they add SMU, why not take Tulane? I could be down with visiting New Orleans....top 20 football program and AAU member.

My nephew went there and we sat in the football stadium for graduation. Pretty small - I think 30,000 seats. SMU stadium is 32,000 seats. Those two stadiums are about the size of WSU (32,000 and OSU (27,000 but expanding to 36,000 next year).
Works for me.
OdontoBear66
BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

No big fan of SDSU, but I believe you are way wrong on academics (please correct if I misstate). Back in the day Chico State and SDSU were little more than party schools. I believe that a few years back SDSU drew its enrollment back from around 40,000 to about 25,000 and the requirements for admission went up to make it
4.0U. And in the following years it became more and more difficult to gain entrance. No ASU is SDSU. ASU you do need a pulse though.
philly1121
Having attended SDSU in the late 1990s, I can tell you that when I was there they were just beginning to kick students out who were on AP and limiting the number of admissions. Additionally, with the creation of Cal State San Marcos, it served as an alternative to SDSU. Don't get in to SDSU? You were likely to get into San Marcos.

SDSU has made pretty good strides in the past 30 years. I believe they offer PhD's now in select disciplines. They have a top 10 international studies program. They have a new stadium. All of the schools that are academically sound on the West Coast who have a football program are already in the P10. It goes down from where we are.

If the P12 wants to stand pat at 10, then it likely means the conference is dust at the end of the new contract because if they don't want to add another two schools because of academics - it will get picked apart.
MrGPAC
dimitrig said:

Big Dog said:

If we add another UC then Cal will likely be blocked from moving to the B1G should they get an invite. Regents won't let a UC ditch other UC schools in the Pac now that UCLA has done it.
BearSD
OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

No big fan of SDSU, but I believe you are way wrong on academics (please correct if I misstate). Back in the day Chico State and SDSU were little more than party schools. I believe that a few years back SDSU drew its enrollment back from around 40,000 to about 25,000 and the requirements for admission went up to make it
4.0U. And in the following years it became more and more difficult to gain entrance. No ASU is SDSU. ASU you do need a pulse though.

We should take US News with a grain of salt, but for what it's worth, here are their most recent rankings of "national universities" for comparison:

#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) San Diego State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

Whatever rankings you prefer, in the post-LA Pac-12, the consensus of rankings is that the only elite universities are Cal, Stanford, and Washington.
OdontoBear66
BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

We should take US News with a grain of salt, but for what it's worth, here are their most recent rankings of "national universities" for comparison:

#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

Whatever rankings you prefer, in the post-LA Pac-12, the consensus of rankings is that the only elite universities are Cal, Stanford, and Washington.

Not liking mentioning this but where do you put U$C and UCLA? First off, out of the Pac 12, but interested in your rankings.....

I would go: Furd #1, Cal close #2, fUCLA a not so close #3, U$C wherever the alums want to put them. I would place behind UW. The rest, not so good.
tequila4kapp
dimitrig said:

Big Dog said:

There isn't another D1 UC, is there? If there is one it isn't in a city that is value add. Hard pass.
BearSD
OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

Not liking mentioning this but where do you put U$C and UCLA? First off, out of the Pac 12, but interested in your rankings.....

I would go: Furd #1, Cal close #2, fUCLA a not so close #3, U$C wherever the alums want to put them. I would place behind UW. The rest, not so good.
UCLA, and maybe USC depending on how far you want to stretch the definition, would also be in the elite category. But they are gone, gone, gone from the Pac.

ARWU worldwide ranking:
2. Stanford
5. UC Berkeley
13. UCLA
17. Washington
53. USC

THE worldwide ranking:
3. (tie) Stanford
8. UC Berkeley
21. UCLA
26. Washington
65. USC

US News "global university" ranking:
3. Stanford
4. UC Berkeley
6. Washington
14. UCLA
80. USC

calumnus
tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

Big Dog said:

There isn't another D1 UC, is there? If there is one it isn't in a city that is value add. Hard pass.

It is a shame it is not UCSD with the football team. They are now elite academically.
bearsandgiants
calumnus said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

Big Dog said:

It is a shame it is not UCSD with the football team. They are now elite academically.

All it takes is a stadium, a coach, and a narrative. We have one!
GMP
MrGPAC said:

dimitrig said:

Big Dog said:

If we add another UC then Cal will likely be blocked from moving to the B1G should they get an invite. Regents won't let a UC ditch other UC schools in the Pac now that UCLA has done it.

This is based purely on your own speculation and it doesn't make much sense, either.
movielover
BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

#38 UC Davis*
#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

UCLA, and maybe USC depending on how far you want to stretch the definition, would also be in the elite category. But they are gone, gone, gone from the Pac.

ARWU worldwide ranking:
2. Stanford
5. UC Berkeley
13. UCLA
17. Washington
53. USC

THE worldwide ranking:
3. (tie) Stanford
8. UC Berkeley
21. UCLA
26. Washington
63. UC Davis*
65. USC

3. Stanford
4. UC Berkeley
6. Washington
14. UCLA
73. UC Davis*
80. USC

Bold = list updated
Big Dog
BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

Doesn't matter. SD is not R1
Econ141
Big Dog said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

Doesn't matter. SD is not R1

How many elite schools in B1G? Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, UCLA. USC?
95bears
movielover said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

#38 UC Davis*
#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

ARWU worldwide ranking:
2. Stanford
5. UC Berkeley
13. UCLA
17. Washington
53. USC

THE worldwide ranking:
3. (tie) Stanford
8. UC Berkeley
21. UCLA
26. Washington
63. UC Davis*
65. USC

3. Stanford
4. UC Berkeley
6. Washington
14. UCLA
73. UC Davis*
80. USC

Bold = list updated
I am biased being from Sacto but it would be great if there could be some master plan to get Davis into D1/ Pac12 and take over the central valley slot currently held by Fresno. There is a good team to be had owning the Valley, Sacto, Reno, and the zone up to Redding (which we pass on scouting).

calumnus
bearsandgiants said:

calumnus said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

Big Dog said:

All it takes is a stadium, a coach, and a narrative. We have one!

There are stadia in San Diego available. Some UCSD alums should get their school to start a team, they can buy a good coach, fill the team with transfers paid with NIL. Uniforms could look like the Chargers, but with Tritons on the helmet. With enough money could be good, fast. Join the PAC-12.
ecb
Unlv is r1
OdontoBear66
BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

ARWU worldwide ranking:
2. Stanford
5. UC Berkeley
13. UCLA
17. Washington
53. USC

THE worldwide ranking:
3. (tie) Stanford
8. UC Berkeley
21. UCLA
26. Washington
65. USC

3. Stanford
4. UC Berkeley
6. Washington
14. UCLA
80. USC

As they say, the further you go from Southern California the further the U$C academic reputation goes down.
Looks like their football team went down a bit last night too.
southseasbear
95bears said:

movielover said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

#38 UC Davis*
#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

ARWU worldwide ranking:
2. Stanford
5. UC Berkeley
13. UCLA
17. Washington
53. USC

THE worldwide ranking:
3. (tie) Stanford
8. UC Berkeley
21. UCLA
26. Washington
63. UC Davis*
65. USC

3. Stanford
4. UC Berkeley
6. Washington
14. UCLA
73. UC Davis*
80. USC

Bold = list updated
I am biased being from Sacto but it would be great if there could be some master plan to get Davis into D1/ Pac12 and take over the central valley slot currently held by Fresno. There is a good team to be had owning the Valley, Sacto, Reno, and the zone up to Redding (which we pass on scouting).

No. Adds nothing to the media footprint. The point of SD St. is that it adds the So. Cal market. UNLV adds the LV metropolitan area which is small, but growing. I think they would be good additions.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
movielover
southseasbear said:

95bears said:

movielover said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

#38 UC Davis*
#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

ARWU worldwide ranking:
2. Stanford
5. UC Berkeley
13. UCLA
17. Washington
53. USC

THE worldwide ranking:
3. (tie) Stanford
8. UC Berkeley
21. UCLA
26. Washington
63. UC Davis*
65. USC

3. Stanford
4. UC Berkeley
6. Washington
14. UCLA
73. UC Davis*
80. USC

Bold = list updated

No. Adds nothing to the media footprint. The point of SD St. is that it adds the So. Cal market. UNLV adds the LV metropolitan area which is small, but growing. I think they would be good
additions.

So is the Central Valley counted as part of the
Bay Area? Sacramento kind of a no man's land, not Bear Territory, or Stanford, or Fresno (hours away).

Not that it would be an easy jump for Davis or Sac State. Though the Aggies just opened a new $50 Million athletic performance facility.
sycasey
movielover said:

southseasbear said:

95bears said:

movielover said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

#38 UC Davis*
#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

ARWU worldwide ranking:
2. Stanford
5. UC Berkeley
13. UCLA
17. Washington
53. USC

THE worldwide ranking:
3. (tie) Stanford
8. UC Berkeley
21. UCLA
26. Washington
63. UC Davis*
65. USC

3. Stanford
4. UC Berkeley
6. Washington
14. UCLA
73. UC Davis*
80. USC

Bold = list updated

No. Adds nothing to the media footprint. The point of SD St. is that it adds the So. Cal market. UNLV adds the LV metropolitan area which is small, but growing. I think they would be good
additions.

Bay Area? Sacramento kind of a no man's land, not Bear Territory, or Stanford, or Fresno (hours away).

In terms of sports media, it basically is.
southseasbear
movielover said:

southseasbear said:

95bears said:

movielover said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

BearGreg said:

Two updates:

#38 UC Davis*
#105 (tie) Arizona
#105 (tie) Oregon
#105 (tie) Utah
#121 Arizona State
#151 (tie) Oregon State
#212 Washington State

ARWU worldwide ranking:
2. Stanford
5. UC Berkeley
13. UCLA
17. Washington
53. USC

THE worldwide ranking:
3. (tie) Stanford
8. UC Berkeley
21. UCLA
26. Washington
63. UC Davis*
65. USC

3. Stanford
4. UC Berkeley
6. Washington
14. UCLA
73. UC Davis*
80. USC

Bold = list updated

additions.

Not that it would be an easy jump for Davis or Sac State. Though the Aggies just opened a new $50 Million athletic performance facility.
Central Valley does not have the population to add value. Sacramento is less than 2 hours from Berkeley. San Diego and Las Vegas (not to mention Texas) expands the conference media market. Sacramento, Fresno, and Boise do not.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.