The Latest Rumors

228,839 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
SoFlaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RE: Superconference. Start with the best 5 of the of the current Big 12 in terms of fit and geography - TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State. Kansas, and Kansas State. Then cherry-pick the Mountain West - Boise State, UNLV, San Diego State, BYU, and Air Force.

I'd might consider Colorado State, Fresno State, SMU, Iowa State and Hawaii.

If you go with our projected 10 and the 10 I'd add, we could create two 10-team divisions with a conference playoff.
eastcoastcal
SoFlaBear said:

RE: Superconference. Start with the best 5 of the of the current Big 12 in terms of fit and geography - TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State. Kansas, and Kansas State. Then cherry-pick the Mountain West - Boise State, UNLV, San Diego State, BYU, and Air Force.

If you go with our projected 10 and the 10 I'd add, we could create two 10-team divisions with a conference playoff.
I think this would be a cool conference but seriously a lot of these schools still have anger towards the way the PAC treated the southern schools who were interested in joining but rebuked due to religious/academic fit concerns

I truly don't know how many of the Texas schools would want to join. Naturally, $ speaks louder than words so if Amazon is willing to pony up then I'm sure anything is possible.

Whatever gets us a nice TV deal I'm good with
LegoBear
I wonder how much money is correlated to success. It seems like there is a pretty strong correlation, so if we gave a bunch of these "smaller" schools $60 additional million a year can a bunch of them rise to the UCLA level?
wifeisafurd
sycasey said:

SoFlaBear said:

I have neither tweet nor article to cite. I will tell you what I'm hearing from a friend up in Oregon.

1) Word is that UCLA is already experiencing some buyers remorse over the B1G as the reality of the expense of coast-to coast travel for all of the many non-revenue sports may make the deal not-as-sweet as first imagined.

2) He keeps hearing a rumor that Jeff Bezos/Prime has some interest in forming and broadcasting a Western superconference to rival the B1G and SEC.
All of that just seems to make it more likely that the B1G further raids the Pac-12 and takes Oregon, Washington, Cal, and Stanford as has been speculated on in the media.
That is exactly right. Amazon also is talking with the B1G, and the additional Amazon money would be money the B1G could use to reward everyone, including the schools at the large media markets in the PAC, more money.
82gradDLSdad
eastcoastcal said:

Add San Diego St, Fresno, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, BYU?

A lot of those schools still have animosity towards us though

They'll lighten up after they beat us a few times.
sycasey
82gradDLSdad said:

eastcoastcal said:

Can't wait until Sonny Dykes' TCU team destroys us a few times.
82gradDLSdad
sycasey said:

82gradDLSdad said:

eastcoastcal said:

Can't wait until Sonny Dykes' TCU team destroys us a few times.

BI will be a hoot.
sycasey
wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

SoFlaBear said:

I have neither tweet nor article to cite. I will tell you what I'm hearing from a friend up in Oregon.

1) Word is that UCLA is already experiencing some buyers remorse over the B1G as the reality of the expense of coast-to coast travel for all of the many non-revenue sports may make the deal not-as-sweet as first imagined.

2) He keeps hearing a rumor that Jeff Bezos/Prime has some interest in forming and broadcasting a Western superconference to rival the B1G and SEC.
All of that just seems to make it more likely that the B1G further raids the Pac-12 and takes Oregon, Washington, Cal, and Stanford as has been speculated on in the media.
That is exactly right. Amazon also is talking with the B1G, and the additional Amazon money would be money the B1G could use to reward everyone, including the schools at the large media markets in the PAC, more money.
The move would basically solve UCLA's travel-cost problem by giving them more West Coast games and would also make their political issue with the UC Regents go away. The L.A. fanbases are happy to keep their rivalries going. The P12 teams that get an offer would also be happy. Win-win (unless you're Oregon State and Washington State).
Bobodeluxe
eastcoastcal said:

Cal has more animosity towards us.
berserkeley
SoFlaBear said:

I would think the Regents blocking UCLA's move would be required for this to happen so the Pac would be at 11. I don't think we'd be going over 16 because even getting to 16, we'd have to start worrying about diluting the pie. I would think SDSU would be a must to pair with UCLA (for many reasons) and then I would think you'd take TCU and Houston from Texas (Baylor may have the more recent success on the field and the court, but Houston is the bigger market, bigger school, and bigger alumni base) and then complete it with Oklahoma State and Kansas.

philly1121
SoFlaBear said:

Seriously? Oh man. Now you've got the whole board drooling over "one of my friends up in Oregon". I mean, we just can't get out of our own way. Theories, conspiracies, wishful thinking. Does anyone not believe that UCLA gamed out the costs/benefits of making the move before actually doing it?

SDSU, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, SMU, Houston, Fresno, UNLV, Air Force, Boise - all of these schools were anathema to us before and immediately after USC and UCLA dipped. Now we're looking at them as our future conference partners with a sweet Amazon deal. uh, yeah.
HoopDreams
I heard a rumor that Stanford was considering going independent, that was probably just blind speculation

but it makes sense on several levels, and probably is at least a discussion within Stanford University

1. they can do their own thing as their admin does appear to think differently than many FB schools
2. they can wait till ND goes to B1G and join them without having to time it with the end of a Pac10 contract
3. they are a big enough name that making a good schedule would be easy
4. they could keep the ND game, USC game and Big Game
5. despite their last 3 poor seasons, they continue to recruit well per ESPN's top 300 recruit list

My guess is the only way this will happen is if Oregon and UW go to the B1G, blowing up the Pac10
eastcoastcal
HoopDreams said:

I heard a rumor that Stanford was considering going independent, that was probably just blind speculation

but it makes sense on several levels, and probably is at least a discussion within Stanford University

1. they can do their own thing as their admin does appear to think differently than many FB schools
2. they can wait till ND goes to B1G and join them without having to time it with the end of a Pac10 contract
5. despite their last 3 poor seasons, they continue to recruit well per ESPN's top 300 recruit list

My guess is the only way this will happen is if Oregon and UW go to the B1G, blowing up the Pac10
Would this hurt us for trying to get into the B1G?
wifeisafurd
HoopDreams said:

blind speculation.

But here some is what one Furd board thinks, sorta repeating Canzanno (as opposed to any Furd source):

One school bound to eventually join Pac-12, while no more ...https://www.si.com Stanford Cardinal Football
calumnus
eastcoastcal said:

SoFlaBear said:

1) Hahahaha SUCK IT UCLA
2) Cool idea but who would this include? The PAC already includes nearly all the good west coast teams. Don't see any path for a super conference

The only way to have a "western super conference to rival the B1G and SEC" is to keep UCLA and USC from going to the B1G and somehow get Texas and Oklahoma before they jump to the SEC plus a few more Texas teams. Just don't see it, but that would be it.

If we don't get a B1G invite, I think we should add San Diego State and Hawaii to the PAC-12. Hawaii would definitely build a new stadium with/for a PAC invite. Both would be good for recruiting. Both would be good locations for night games into December, a key to our media value. Hawaii would be the location of late, late game. Flights to Hawaii from the Bay Area are easier than to Pullman. We would have a better path to the CFP than in the B1G. Most games would be played normal times and be available via streaming, which would be a huge improvement.
Golden One
calumnus said:

Flights to Hawaii from the Bay Area are easier than to Pullman.
You've got to be kidding!! The flight on Southwest to Spokane is 2 hours, and the drive from Spokane to Pullman is about 1 hour, 45 minutes.

The flight from Oakland to Honolulu is 5 1/2 hours.

It's much quicker to get to Pullman than to Hawaii.
GMP
Golden One said:

calumnus said:

You've got to be kidding!! The flight on Southwest to Spokane is 2 hours, and the drive from Spokane to Pullman is about 1 hour, 45 minutes.

He said easier, not faster. Your numbers also assume perfect weather (and clear roads) into and out of Spokane/Pullman, which is not a sure thing (particularly for winter and spring sports).
Golden One
GMP said:

Golden One said:

calumnus said:

He said easier, not faster. Your numbers also assume perfect weather (and clear roads) into and out of Spokane/Pullman, which is not a sure thing (particularly for winter and spring sports).
Oh, come on now. I'll take the trip to Pullman over a trip to Hawaii any day in terms of ease. And since this is on the football board, I assume we're not talking about winter weather.
Cal_79
How would adding Hawaii work for hoops?
Arcadiabear
hawaii would be a crazy dilution of revenue. Nobody watches their games and its a logistical nightmare to get there. U want to talk about UCLA burning cash to go to conference games ?

How about getting CO to fly to hawaii for a game. or SMU a ssome of yall suggested?

Its a non starter
Golden One
Cal_79 said:

How would adding Hawaii work for hoops?
Not well.
GoCal80
Here's an article by a young Daily Cal reporter that despite his youth totally understands Cal athletics:

https://www.dailycal.org/2022/10/19/cal-football-has-given-up-should-fans-give-up-too?fbclid=IwAR0vsNflZOykHl8RRmfTe55mDCvR9tx4aBbWQ8HayYmoqe9bfJ4NrCwueO8
Unit2Sucks
Hawaii isn't a realistic option. Setting aside whether it's easy for people to fly to from the Bay Area, it's still the equivalent of a cross country flight for us and there are a lot of Pac-12 schools not in the bay area for whom it's even longer than cross country.

That's without taking into the fact that Hawaii is astronomically expensive, particularly in the fall winter. Hotels, etc. Can't imagine schools footing the bill for non-revenue sports. If we're just talking about football, I guess it's less insane, but I still don't think it is workable. There isn't any demand for football games that start in the middle of the night east coast time and I highly doubt that inventory will be a valuable addition to media rights.

I am a big calumnus fan but I think this is based more on his love of hawaii (the state) than it is the rational basis for adding U of H to this conference.
dimitrig

I am not in favor of adding Hawaii, but how do the schools in its current conference handle the travel?

It seems to be a solved problem.

Unit2Sucks
dimitrig said:

I am not in favor of adding Hawaii, but how do the schools in its current conference handle the travel?

Good question. First - they are in 2 conferences, 1 for football (Mountain West) and 1 for everything else (Big West).

Big West is all California schools which are relatively short drives to airports with direct flights. Denver to HNL is 7.5 hours - quite the haul for a quick trip, even for college kids.
calumnus
Unit2Sucks said:

Hawaii isn't a realistic option. Setting aside whether it's easy for people to fly to from the Bay Area, it's still the equivalent of a cross country flight for us and there are a lot of Pac-12 schools not in the bay area for whom it's even longer than cross country.

That's without taking into the fact that Hawaii is astronomically expensive, particularly in the fall winter. Hotels, etc. Can't imagine schools footing the bill for non-revenue sports. If we're just talking about football, I guess it's less insane, but I still don't think it is workable. There isn't any demand for football games that start in the middle of the night east coast time and I highly doubt that inventory will be a valuable addition to media rights.

I am a big calumnus fan but I think this is based more on his love of hawaii (the state) than it is the rational basis for adding U of H to this conference.

Fair enough. Selfish on my part.
calumnus
dimitrig said:

MWC schools from much further away than Cal (the nearest D1 football school to Hawaii).

I will concede that my suggestion of Hawaii is biased. Carry on.

MrGPAC
The networks are going to be determining who we do and don't add.

Right now the Pac12 comissioner is giving a list of schools and what they do with the contract and determining how hard he goes after each one.

If we are worth 500 million as is, and 525 million with hawaii, we aren't adding hawaii. If we are worth 600 million with hawaii we are probably adding them.

Traveling logistics and cultural fit be damned...this is all about the money.
calumnus
MrGPAC said:

Right now the Pac12 comissioner is giving a list of schools and what they do with the contract and determining how hard he goes after each one.

If we are worth 500 million as is, and 525 million with hawaii, we aren't adding hawaii. If we are worth 600 million with hawaii we are probably adding them.

The benefit of Hawaii is that games there would give us an exclusive late, late slot after the 7:00 Pacific (10:00 PM EST) slot, when bars are still open on Saturdays on the East Coast and all over the US. And help us expand our brand to Asia and Australia with live games during prime time. Plus keep Hawaii talent from going to the SEC and keep them in the PAC-12.

But yes, TV contracts wil determine if that is valuable.
wifeisafurd
MrGPAC said:

I'm sure this is true for many of the Pac CEOs, and I hope if Cal remains in the Pac, this is ultimately true of all CEOs. But you would be amazed some of the comments made by certain Pac CEOs, and you think the Pac will be adding Rice.
wifeisafurd
GoCal80 said:

Here's an article by a young Daily Cal reporter that despite his youth totally understands Cal athletics:

https://www.dailycal.org/2022/10/19/cal-football-has-given-up-should-fans-give-up-too?fbclid=IwAR0vsNflZOykHl8RRmfTe55mDCvR9tx4aBbWQ8HayYmoqe9bfJ4NrCwueO8
Disturbing how smart the students are these days.
Big Dog
No way the current Pac Presidents invite Hawaii. Forget football, but its all the other sports who would then spend hours of travel. The addition of Hawaii would add bupkus to any TV contract rights.
southseasbear
If we have to add schools, I'm favorably inclined toward UNLV, Nevada, Colorado State (rumored to be in line to receive the next invite to the prestigious AAU), and/or SD State.

Schools I don't wnat to see include Fresno State, Boise State, and BYU.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
TomBear
The only two schools that make any sense to me at all are BYU (helps the Utah rivalry) and Colorado State (helps the Colorado rivalry). SDSU, Nevada, UNLV, Boise......none of those add anything attractive to me, if in fact the Pac does expand.

As I've stated before, I preferred the Pac before the addition of the Arizona schools, and still don't think their addition was such a great thing. I had a little more sympathy for adding Colorado and Utah. But I still liked the old model best.

Right now, I'm not as worried about conference affiliation and re-alignment as I am about making sure the Bears are even wanted somewhere, due to their sorry history and their performance this season in particular. They need to up their game substantially just to survive in the Pac.
ducktilldeath
southseasbear said:

If we have to add schools, I'm favorably inclined toward UNLV, Nevada, Colorado State (rumored to be in line to receive the next invite to the prestigious AAU), and/or SD State.

Schools I don't wnat to see include Fresno State, Boise State, and BYU.
I'm along these lines. SDSU and UNLV for the markets. Nevada because they're not Utah State.

No former JCs, or universities run by JC.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.