Pac-12 commish George Kliavkoff visiiting SMU

117,336 Views | 1094 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by calumnus
75bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WalterSobchak said:

I really like this latest rumor not only because we've already been "informed" that CBS is not involved in bidding (The CW is partially owned by Paramount/CBS) but also because The CW is a nationwide basic cable / OTA network so this would actually be a great outcome from an exposure standpoint if the $$$ are competitive.
I would respectfully disagree. Having our games on the CW would be an unmitigated disaster in the long term, even if we got Big 12 level $$. Our conference would get minimal exposure around the country since nobody watches that channel, or even knows what channel number it is. The Pac 12 is already an afterthought nationally, and we would sink significantly lower if we made our bed with the CW.

I hope this is just a smokescreen/leverage play.
6956bear
75bear said:

WalterSobchak said:

I really like this latest rumor not only because we've already been "informed" that CBS is not involved in bidding (The CW is partially owned by Paramount/CBS) but also because The CW is a nationwide basic cable / OTA network so this would actually be a great outcome from an exposure standpoint if the $$$ are competitive.
I would respectfully disagree. Having our games on the CW would be an unmitigated disaster in the long term, even if we got Big 12 level $$. Our conference would get minimal exposure around the country since nobody watches that channel, or even knows what channel number it is. The Pac 12 is already an afterthought nationally, and we would sink significantly lower if we made our bed with the CW.

I hope this is just a smokescreen/leverage play.
I can watch the games on CW or ION or virtually any other network they choose. But the perception of the conference which has already taken a hit would suffer.

okaydo
WalterSobchak said:

Yes, The CW is a national broadcast network. But I don't get it on YouTube TV. And many sports fans are gravitating to YouTube TV because of its multiview option and getting Sunday Ticket. It's becoming the best place for sports. I have an antenna that I never use. Of course, I could watch that way. But no way am I gonna watch that way. I'd rather the Pac-12 Network land on Hallmark Channel.

Yeah, technically, The CW is partially owned by Paramount. But Paramount only owns 12.5%. Warner Bros. Discovery owns 12.5%. But a controlling interest in The CW was sold last year to Nexstar Media Group, which now owns 75% of the network. And Nexstar's plan is to cheap out on The CW, which has been known as a home for teen and female-oriented scripted programming since launching in 2006, into a home for really inexpensive reality TV fare.

berserkeley
I think we need to face reality.

There are no daytime slots on the major linear sports networks available to the Pac-12.

Everyone complains about streaming because it's inconvenient and has limitted reach in homes and bars and if no one watches our games, how do we get national respect? How do we recruit if the recruits and their friends and familes don't pay for the Pac-12 package on AppleTV? Everyone complains about the Pac-12 After Dark because fans hate the night games and because how do we get national respect when we start our games after more than half the country has gone to bed?

Now we're in talks with a national linear network who could broadcast our games in the middle of the day to the qhole country and we're still not satisfied because the network isn't associated with major sports?

I'm sorry, but what you all want isn't an option. So pick your poison.
95bears
All the bellyaching feels like last war thinking to me. We're the West Coast, it's time to think different and innovate.

- Streaming
- Non-obvious networks that have broad reach. Who cares if you have to tune into CW or Ion or some channel you've never heard of. It's still on TV. You're still getting paid. When I look for Pac-12 games it's a quick voice command into my remote.
- As George said, be connected to every piece of glass. There is SO much you can do to notify people and promote things on a mobile device. It just requires innovative marketing and execution.

If anything, the blue ocean strategy here is to try and separate West Coast football from the East and take back control. We started swimming in a red ocean the minute we ceded the Rose Bowl to the East Coast. Critical mistake. West Coast football is in an inevitable decline to irrelevancy. I'd try to think about changing the game played out here to emphasize fewer massive 300+ lb Crisco-fed giants and make it more fast-paced, skill-based (which favors us), and entertaining--- in short I'd do whatever I could to drive the East Coast media and fans crazy not knowing with 100% certainty who's "the best".
Hawaii Haas
West Coast breaks the norm in almost every industry, but somehow for football we can't innovate.
Hawaii Haas
I guess I take that back. Certain teams like Oregon innovated their offense and garnered a national following (G5 schools were running "wide open" offenses long before). Then the rest of college football including some SEC schools innovated and made their offenses more exciting, including the NFL.

So there was innovation out of the West Coast. But the lead was short lived.

calumnus
Hawaii Haas said:

I guess I take that back. Certain teams like Oregon innovated their offense and garnered a national following (G5 schools were running "wide open" offenses long before). Then the rest of college football including some SEC schools innovated and made their offenses more exciting, including the NFL.

So there was innovation out of the West Coast. But the lead was short lived.

Cal's first All American football player was African American Walter Gordon in 1918. Jackie Robinson was a star RB (4 sport star) at UCLA in the 1930s.

Alabama didn't even allow black players on their team until a single one in 1971.

The West Coast has always lead innovations in the passing game, with the semi-exception of Leach and the Air Raid at Texas Tech, though Leach was born in California, played rugby at BYU and studied under LaVelle Edwards and Notm Chow, got his law degree from Pepperdine and his first coaching job at Cal Poly. Plus spent a good part of his career at Washington State.

I thought Theder bringing in Mouse Davis and the Run N Shoot from Portland was a great move for Cal, but losing Gale Gilbert and Davis' inflexibility and unwillingness to incorporate our best player, TE David Lewis, into the offense doomed it. Similarly, June Jones had great success with it at Hawaii, but I always thought it, and it's needs for lots of small speedy Smurf receivers, kind of goes against Hawaii's comparative advantage: size, especially big, athletic Hawaiian and Samoan players.
BigDaddy
berserkeley said:

There are no daytime slots on the major linear sports networks available to the Pac-12.

Everyone complains about streaming because it's inconvenient and has limitted reach in homes and bars and if no one watches our games, how do we get national respect? How do we recruit if the recruits and their friends and familes don't pay for the Pac-12 package on AppleTV? Everyone complains about the Pac-12 After Dark because fans hate the night games and because how do we get national respect when we start our games after more than half the country has gone to bed?

Now we're in talks with a national linear network who could broadcast our games in the middle of the day to the qhole country and we're still not satisfied because the network isn't associated with major sports?

I agree. Someone broke down college football on OTA moving forward under the new media deals, and open real estate at the networks is extremely limited starting in 2024.

The B1G will be on FOX, CBS and NBC (double headers with Notre Dame).Something close to 50% of their inventory will be OTA. The SEC is all in and exclusive with the ABC/ESPN family of networks. The Big XII deal is with ABC/ESPN and FOX. The ACC is also with ABC/ESPN. So you see the problem. Time slots on OTA are mostly spoken for moving forward.

Say what you will about The CW, but it is a national OTA network. Yes, they're known for scripted programming like RIVERDALE and SUPERNATURAL. But they just signed a deal with LIV Golf, and they want additional sports content. This is a chance for the Pac-12 to get inventory OTA. In the current landscape, this actually seems like a good option considering where the league is right now.

“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
tequila4kapp
Really good point about LIV and the apparent trend that CW wants in on a certain class of sports inventory. Unfortunately for us we are in the same category as LIV (which I actually like, but it is not in the same class as a product as its main competitor).
Bobodeluxe
tequila4kapp said:

Really good point about LIV and the apparent trend that CW wants in on a certain class of sports inventory. Unfortunately for us we are in the same category as LIV (which I actually like, but it is not in the same class as a product as its main competitor).
Will the PACx have bone saws?
CaliforniaEternal
It's too bad the P12 can't get Comcast interested, because they would be an ideal partner. NBC could air P12 afternoon games on Notre Dame road game weeks. The Big 10 NBC games will be prime time so there would be no conflict there. Then you have CNBC and MSNBC for other games, which are available on pretty much every cable package and streaming service. There's some precedent for sports on those channels with the Olympics every two years. Plus all the games can air on Peacock for those that don't have any linear TV package.

Hawaii Haas
Jeff Shell, CEO of NBCUniversal, is a Cal grad (also Harvard MBA)

NBCUniversal is headquartered at 30 Rockefeller Plaza, NYC

Comcast is headquartered in Philadelphia

East Coast bias due to geography. I'm happy Amazon and Apple are entering the fray, to create some (hopefully) West Coast bias.

The story of NBC and Notre Dame is interesting in that they were a good team 30 years ago and they went exclusive with NBC. ND branded themselves really well, including neutral offsite home games called the Shamrock Series. The Catholics vs Convicts game against Miami in 1988, is similarly great branding (for its time). ND has had cycles of mediocrity on the field, but the media attention helps fuel its ability to be independent.

Thanks Google.
Big Dog
fwiw: YouTube has outbid DirectTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, so out-of-market pro games will stream on Sunday.
Hawaii Haas
Golden State Warriors be Sacramento Kings. Playoffs. Drivable games. Regionalization.

Increases demand for attendance and market penetration.

Usually always good. Good for California sports, including college football (which can be more popular in the state).
okaydo

calumnus
okaydo said:

"as recently as today"
Econ141
calumnus said:

okaydo said:

"as recently as today"

And of course tomorrow we will hear that it is not true from an ESPN exec.
Econ141
Econ141 said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

"as recently as today"

Who knows what to believe ... Posted just 4 hours ago:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pac-12s-murky-future-finds-shred-of-clarity-with-espn-appearing-out-as-option-for-primary-media-rights/

sosheezy
Econ141 said:

Econ141 said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

"as recently as today"

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pac-12s-murky-future-finds-shred-of-clarity-with-espn-appearing-out-as-option-for-primary-media-rights/

The Auerbach and Dellenger tweets were (sourced from Pac12) in direct refute to the Dodd article. Dodd has been peddling tales of Pac12 doom, paranoia and fleeing schools to the Big12 for months now
Econ141
sosheezy said:

Econ141 said:

Econ141 said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

"as recently as today"

The Auerbach and Dellenger tweets were (sourced from Pac12) in direct refute to the Dodd article. Dodd has been peddling tales of Pac12 doom, paranoia and fleeing schools to the Big12 for months now

Ah - totally forgot to look at the author. Thanks for pointing that out.
wifeisafurd
berserkeley said:

Definitely is the whispering. Supposedly the bucks for streaming of all top tier games would be sufficient to keep the Pac together if a national linear network is brought on board, and the latter is the problem. I suspect certain programs are insisting on both or want to see what the alternative to the Pac will be. Before we cast aspirations, consider we might have to look in the mirror. To quote a Pac AD (not Cal) only as of a few days ago, the current situation lacks clarity.
calumnus
Econ141 said:

sosheezy said:

Econ141 said:

Econ141 said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

"as recently as today"

Dodds at least was transparent enough in his bias to cite his source for the information about the Pac-12 and ESPN as "an anonymous B12 official."
ferCALgm2
calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

sosheezy said:

Econ141 said:

Econ141 said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

"as recently as today"

Dodds at least was transparent enough in his bias to cite his source for the information about the Pac-12 and ESPN as "an anonymous B12 official."

Haha true. The Big-12 really wants the PAC to implode, and Dodd consistently seems to be their mouthpiece or only use them as his source.
calumnus
ferCALgm2 said:

calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

sosheezy said:

Econ141 said:

Econ141 said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

"as recently as today"

Haha true. The Big-12 really wants the PAC to implode, and Dodd consistently seems to be their mouthpiece or only use them as his source.

And anonymously no less.
Shocky1
tequila4kapp said:

do u also like watching reruns of the 9/11 twin towers falling in the sky while u root for saudi arabia on the cartoon network?
BigDaddy
Hawaii Haas said:

Jeff Shell, CEO of NBCUniversal, is a Cal grad (also Harvard MBA)
Buddy, have I got a story for you...
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
philbert
interesting read

MTbear22
The list of excuses just continues to grow
Bobodeluxe
Reality bites.
tequila4kapp
Firewall…
Summary, plz
Strykur
ferCALgm2 said:

calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

sosheezy said:

Econ141 said:

Econ141 said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

"as recently as today"

The entire sport would revel in the implosion of a major conference, the Big-12 would just be the most material beneficiaries (anything Big Ten is fait accompli by comparison).
tequila4kapp
Strykur said:

ferCALgm2 said:

calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

sosheezy said:

Econ141 said:

Econ141 said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

"as recently as today"

The entire sport would revel in the implosion of a major conference, the Big-12 would just be the most material beneficiaries (anything Big Ten is fait accompli by comparison).
This makes no sense to me. 10 of the 12 teams are likely to land in the B12/B1G. Other than eliminating 2 teams and admin jobs what's the difference?
calumnus
tequila4kapp said:

Strykur said:

ferCALgm2 said:

calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

sosheezy said:

Econ141 said:

Econ141 said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

"as recently as today"

This makes no sense to me. 10 of the 12 teams are likely to land in the B12/B1G. Other than eliminating 2 teams and admin jobs what's the difference?

Right now there is a "P5" but really the B1G and SEC are the two powers. The viability of each of the ACC, PAC-10 and Big-12, is in question, especially after the departures of Texas, Oklahoma, UCLA and USC. The ACC could easily get carved up by the B1G and SEC when their schools' GORs expire. The B12 sees an opportunity to become the clear #3 conference, but it needs the PAC-10 to implode so the 4 southwest schools join.

BearSD
calumnus said:

Right now there is a "P5" but really the B1G and SEC are the two powers. The viability of each of the ACC, PAC-10 and Big-12, is in question, especially after the departures of Texas, Oklahoma, UCLA and USC. The ACC could easily get carved up by the B1G and SEC when their schools' GORs expire. The B12 sees an opportunity to become the clear #3 conference, but it needs the PAC-10 to implode so the 4 southwest schools join.
There is now a Power 2 and a Mid 3. The Big 12 has more long-term stability than the Pac and ACC because the Big Ten and SEC have no interest in any Big 12 members, whereas several Pac and ACC members are on the fat cats' menu, or at least hope to be.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.