Pac-12 commish George Kliavkoff visiiting SMU

117,323 Views | 1094 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by calumnus
ColoradoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was just reading about the MLB takeover of Diamondbacks broadcasts after the Bally's bankruptcy. Similar to what happened with padres broadcasts.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38030215/mlb-arizona-diamondbacks-tv-rights-bally-sports-diamond

Games will be offered via steaming ($19.95/mo) on MLB.tv and also via linear cable.

Seems very good for consumers as those who want to atram have that option while those who still have linear cable don't have to worry about steaming.

Not sure it's going to be as good for the Diamondbacks as they are losing a $75mil/yr distribution contract.

In terms of the p12 deal, I hope if there's a streaming option, one can buy ALL games so one doesn't have to mess with having multiple services. And then have select games available on cable/broadcast via ESPN, CW, or whoever else is paying $$$.

If the good games are only cable, I think a lot of fans would just skip the streaming options for the lower tier games, unless they are with a partner like Amazon that has a huge sub base via prime.
wifeisafurd
wifeisafurd said:

Hawaii Haas said:

HateRed said:

How in the hell did this topic evolve to this crap?

Running out of topics on this topic
need something to fill the void. Not like the Pac is telling us anything is happening on the media deal.
Wow, I really am clairvoyant. No media deal news for you on media day.

"No Soup For You!" | The Soup Nazi | SeinfeldYouTube Seinfeld5 minutes, 10 secondsOct 18, 2021

91Cal
ColoradoBear said:

Was just reading about the MLB takeover of Diamondbacks broadcasts after the Bally's bankruptcy. Similar to what happened with padres broadcasts.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38030215/mlb-arizona-diamondbacks-tv-rights-bally-sports-diamond

Games will be offered via steaming ($19.95/mo) on MLB.tv and also via linear cable.

Seems very good for consumers as those who want to atram have that option while those who still have linear cable don't have to worry about steaming.

Not sure it's going to be as good for the Diamondbacks as they are losing a $75mil/yr distribution contract.

In terms of the p12 deal, I hope if there's a streaming option, one can buy ALL games so one doesn't have to mess with having multiple services. And then have select games available on cable/broadcast via ESPN, CW, or whoever else is paying $$$.

If the good games are only cable, I think a lot of fans would just skip the streaming options for the lower tier games, unless they are with a partner like Amazon that has a huge sub base via prime.
$19.95/mo is pretty steep for everyone but die hards...but I suppose that's all the extent of who was watching already.

MLB really is a complete mess financially and organizationally. If it weren't for the pitch clock and the expanded playoff, we would be talking about the game's complete demise. If they don't get some better form of rev share going like the NBA and NFL then their demise will only accelerate. Shameful.
ColoradoBear
91Cal said:

ColoradoBear said:

$19.95/mo is pretty steep for everyone but die hards...but I suppose that's all the extent of who was watching already.

MLB really is a complete mess financially and organizationally. If it weren't for the pitch clock and the expanded playoff, we would be talking about the game's complete demise. If they don't get some better form of rev share going like the NBA and NFL then their demise will only accelerate. Shameful.

The math is pretty crazy for the RSN bubble when it comes to carriage fees -

If one could buy the entire D-backs season pass for $100, there would need to be 750k subscriptions to equal that $75 million from Bally. Phx has 2.1 million cable households. Tucson 400k. Las Vegas/Clark County has 870k (and would no longer be in the D-backs territory if the A's ever move). According To Forbes, the D-backs averaged 20k viewers a game on Bally's. How many would subscribe at $100/yr?

Supposedly Bally's Phx station was getting $6.14/mo for cable carriage (but carried MLB, NHL, and NBA). With cable cutting, it's easy to see how that fee and business model isn't sustainable. A lot of networks overpaid for sports content. Any chance ESPN eventually goes bankrupt?

I'm also not sure how the streaming math will work out for the Pac 12. Without linear money, $100/yr would mean 3 million+ subs per year or ~300k per school. How is that possible when only 2-3 schools sell out stadiums?
BigDaddy
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
91Cal
BigDaddy said:

Sour grapes...

Look at the macro-economic conditions. All the media companies are having massive layoffs. Even Netflix and Amazon have scaled back a bit...we are one year from the best timing as the B1G has showed.

We can blame the presidents in leaving lame duck Larry in place well beyond when they should have pulled the trigger.

That said, it will be interesting to see if the B1G with Fox and the SEC with ESPN holds together as their respective carriage fees continue to drop.
linebiz
Pac 12 media rights progress may be looking pretty good according Colorado chancellor DiStefano. He's expecting to see a presentation from commissioner Kliavkoff during a meeting of the CEO group on Thursday ahead of Pac 12 media days.

"You'd like to see it at I think all along, we've talked about (and have been) looking at, what the ACC and the Big 12 (have received) and what the SEC and the Big Ten are getting, and wanting to be kind of in the middle of the pack probably to be third, behind the SEC. That's been the goal for such a long time."

DiStefano added that he had yet to see a "final number on media rights (from Kliavkoff) … that's why we're meeting tomorrow."

3rd highest paid conference behind the SEC would be a major win.

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/07/19/cu-buffs-future-pac-12-big-12-football-rumors/
Pittstop
That is what I've been anticipating, honestly.
Oski87
philly1121 said:

Hawaii Haas said:

Netflix led to more cord cutting, but it's still a subscription.

I blame YouTube foremost. No SAG, no WGA, no big budgets. Some guy eating food in Bangkok. Or Cal football highlights on demand for free.

The long tail content that is free, is what started all this.

YouTube for TV is the Pandora for Music. Now you have YouTube content providers rivaling Hollywood stars in terms of following.

I think YouTube killed ESPN's SportsCenter. It's still around, but no longer am I waiting during some 30 min show (and commercials) to see my team's highlights.

This also means (mostly) only blockbusters with high statistical probability of success are being funded. Those recurring cash cows are major movie sequels and TV series, sports leagues with reliable followings, etc. some money will be spend on fillers. Hamilton got us to subscribe to Disney+. Game of Thrones for HBO; Succession for Max. Netflix because they had first mover. Apple, I don't have but when Jason Momoa's ancient Hawaii show comes out. Prime, we had. Subscribers pay for hit shows.
I think you're right. Youtube was/is huge. Netflix is huge.

I've seen alot of youtube content as to how we got to where we are with the Writers Guild and SAG strikes. Movie studios and producers being greedy. Hiding or undervaluing residuals from box office, streaming.

So the argument goes - no one is interest in super hero movies anymore. The Flash was a box office bomb. Tentpole movies like Indiana Jones are not breaking even. The convenience of staying at home and watching a film that was released barely two weeks before is too enticing for people. After you pay $30 for two for a matinee, they rob you at the concession stand for $50 more.

Perhaps live sports is the way to go. Its content that is not a sequel to anything. It stands pretty much on its own.

Then again, networks want something that will bring people in to watch. Are people going to watch the Pac 10 more than the SEC or B1G? I doubt it. Probably another reason why there are no takers for the P10.
But they may watch it more than 90 day fianc or a hallmark movie. Which is basically what TV has devolved into beyond sports.
BearSD
91Cal said:

BigDaddy said:

Sour grapes...
Begs the question, "Who told you that?"

If an assistant football coach at Arizona tells a buddy who is an SDSU assistant, "You guys are in for sure, just wait until June", that is speculation, not a guarantee.
BigDaddy
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
oskidunker
BigDaddy said:

KRON
Go Bears!
FloriDreaming
Oski87 said:

SMU has the same size stadium as SDSU, in the middle of Dallas. They have done as well as SDSU in football recently - hell, Sonny got a job at TCU because of his success there. They have won a national title - meaning that they are willing to pay up for players (Eric Dickerson). And they have a higher academic ranking than SDSU. Not saying ideal, but if you want to expand to generate dollars, that is one place to go if you bring both in. And frankly, at least Dallas has a direct SWA flights from Oakland. Probably easier to get to than Washington State.

To be honest, I would like SMU and Tulane. Tulane and Buffalo are the only two AAU DI schools not in a G5 conference. Tulane also has a new on campus stadium with about 34,000. I went to my nephews graduation down there - miserable in the June heat in the football stadium for graduation.

Tulane is a great school that has absolutely nothing in common with the West Coast.

Neither does SMU, for that matter.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the schools and everything to do with geography.

Some better options:

Fresno State
Boise State
Wyoming
UNLV
Utah State
San Diego State

From that list I'd go with SDSU and Boise St, followed by Fresno State and UNLV, if the AZ schools make good on their departure.

Frankly the Pac 12 commish's current strategy strikes me as one part desperation mixed with two parts stupidity. IOW, typical Pac 12 failure.
philbert
BigDaddy said:

Straight from his Big12 sources
berserkeley
FloriDreaming said:

Oski87 said:

SMU has the same size stadium as SDSU, in the middle of Dallas. They have done as well as SDSU in football recently - hell, Sonny got a job at TCU because of his success there. They have won a national title - meaning that they are willing to pay up for players (Eric Dickerson). And they have a higher academic ranking than SDSU. Not saying ideal, but if you want to expand to generate dollars, that is one place to go if you bring both in. And frankly, at least Dallas has a direct SWA flights from Oakland. Probably easier to get to than Washington State.

To be honest, I would like SMU and Tulane. Tulane and Buffalo are the only two AAU DI schools not in a G5 conference. Tulane also has a new on campus stadium with about 34,000. I went to my nephews graduation down there - miserable in the June heat in the football stadium for graduation.

Tulane is a great school that has absolutely nothing in common with the West Coast.

Neither does SMU, for that matter.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the schools and everything to do with geography.

Some better options:

Fresno State
Boise State
Wyoming
UNLV
Utah State
San Diego State

From that list I'd go with SDSU and Boise St, followed by Fresno State and UNLV, if the AZ schools make good on their departure.

Frankly the Pac 12 commish's current strategy strikes me as one part desperation mixed with two parts stupidity. IOW, typical Pac 12 failure.

The media providers apparently don't want Boise State and the university presidents ddefinitey do not want to be affiliated with Boise State. Boise State is just about the worst fit. The Pac-12 would stay at 10 before inviting them.
calumnus
philbert said:

BigDaddy said:

"Industry sources" are "perplexed by who the linear partners would be"? If not just B-12 propaganda, if Fox and ESPN (the industry sources?) have stopped talking with the PAC-10 and somehow know that no other broadcaster is talking with the PAC-10 (ie they talk with each other), then it really starts to look like something nefarious is going on between Fox and ESPN, though there is still a small chance Kliavkoff is the one who broke off negotiations because he has a secret, much more lucrative, bombshell broadcast option that makes them irrelevant.

Most likely Kliavkoff has turned to streaming as the main option because it would give the schools more money than the B-12 contract, but it would come from the pockets of PAC-10 fans and would reduce our national exposure.
oskidunker
calumnus said:

philbert said:

BigDaddy said:

"Industry sources" are "perplexed by who the linear partners would be"? If not just B-12 propaganda, if Fox and ESPN (the industry sources?) have stopped talking with the PAC-10 and somehow know that no other broadcaster is talking with the PAC-10 (ie they talk with each other), then it really starts to look like something nefarious is going on between Fox and ESPN, though there is still a chance Kliavkoff is the one who broke off negotiations because he has a secret, much more lucrative, bombshell broadcast option that makes them irrelevant.
Radio is fine.
Go Bears!
philbert
calumnus said:

philbert said:

BigDaddy said:

"Industry sources" are "perplexed by who the linear partners would be"? If not just B-12 propaganda, if Fox and ESPN (the industry sources?) have stopped talking with the PAC-10 and somehow know that no other broadcaster is talking with the PAC-10 (ie they talk with each other), then it really starts to look like something nefarious is going on between Fox and ESPN, though there is still a chance Kliavkoff is the one who broke off negotiations because he has a secret, much more lucrative, bombshell broadcast option that makes them irrelevant.
I'll wait and see what actually happens rather than believing whatever Dodds and Co. are putting out.
Cal_79
oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

philbert said:

BigDaddy said:

Radio is fine.

Assuming the new PBP announcer shares some basic info during the game broadcast. Little things like down & distance, time on the clock, the score...
oskidunker
Cal_79 said:

oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

philbert said:

BigDaddy said:

Radio is fine.

Assuming the new PBP announcer shares some basic info during the game broadcast. Little things like down & distance, time on the clock, the score...
he did another one… the ball is still loose
Go Bears!
BearSD
calumnus said:

Most likely Kliavkoff has turned to streaming as the main option because it would give the schools more money than the B-12 contract, but it would come from the pockets of PAC-10 fans and would reduce our national exposure.
Yeah, it seems likely that Apple or Amazon buys the entirety of Pac-12 media rights during the contract, and sublicenses a package of games to ESPN, Fox, TBS, or someone else, and the delay is in trying to line up the sublicensee who offers the greatest number of non-streaming football and basketball games.

If this is the deal, then the reason neither CU nor any other team jumped ship is that the Apple or Amazon offer is already on the table, the money is good, and what's left is sublicensing to get a decent number of games on "linear" TV.
philly1121
Not sure why you would say sour grapes. He was at UW, transferred and is at SDSU. I don't think he cares who he plays - as long as he plays. That's the portal philosophy.

Of greater concern is that SDSU was somehow led to believe that they were going to move to the P10 and now they aren't. So either SDSU jumped the gun or the P10 bottled it.
calumnus
philly1121 said:

Not sure why you would say sour grapes. He was at UW, transferred and is at SDSU. I don't think he cares who he plays - as long as he plays. That's the portal philosophy.

Of greater concern is that SDSU was somehow led to believe that they were going to move to the P10 and now they aren't. So either SDSU jumped the gun or the P10 bottled it.

Seeems quite likely Kliavkoff met with SDSU fully intending to bring them into the PAC, but later learned he did not have sufficient PAC presidents' votes (or ESPN backing) to do so, leaving SDSU at the alter.
BearSD
calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Seeems quite likely Kliavkoff met with SDSU fully intending to bring them into the PAC, but later learned he did not have sufficient PAC presidents' votes (or ESPN backing) to do so, leaving SDSU at the alter.
SDSU probably got a campus visit, like SMU did.

SDSU may have been "vetted" by the Pac-12, like Cal, Stanford, UW, UO, and UU have been vetted by the Big Ten.

Neither of those is the same as receiving an offer.

SDSU probably jumped the gun. They are like someone who interviews for a new job, the interview goes really well, they think they have it in the bag, and so they get full of themselves and quit their current job. Then the new job offer doesn't come, and they have to eat crow and ask for their old job back.
philly1121
I highly doubt SDSU imagined they were going to get invited and made the colossal and embarrassing mistake of saying "we're leaving" when they had nothing.
ColoradoBear
philly1121 said:

I highly doubt SDSU imagined they were going to get invited and made the colossal and embarrassing mistake of saying "we're leaving" when they had nothing.

I'd have to guess there are/were a couple of different media offers on the table, and one that favors expansion more than the other. More content doesn't necessarily mean more money when the lower end games are very low viewership and it's not a binary decision of carry/no carry like with the p12 network.

But the better offer is now one where the extra teams could be dillutive. Or the best offer is not enough to keep a number of teams which would throw everything into flux.
BigDaddy

BigDaddy

Hmmmm.
ferCALgm2
BigDaddy said:

Hmmmm.
If this is true... ORE ST or WASH ST? Leave before things potentially collapse?
okaydo
Econ141
It's the Summer of George (K.)!!
Golden One
When was the last time the Pac-12, Pac-10, Pac-8 had a competent commissioner? Ever?
StillNoStanfurdium
ferCALgm2 said:

BigDaddy said:

Hmmmm.
If this is true... ORE ST or WASH ST? Leave before things potentially collapse?
Here's the thing. If somehow Oregon State or Washington State jump to the Big-12 and are worth a full share at an extra $31M then it's complete bull**** that networks kept low-balling the Pac-12 for so long and really starts to make it look like Fox/ESPN are colluding to kill conferences to consolidate teams and get better deals in the future.

Somehow the previous remaining 10 of 12 teams weren't attractive enough to match the Big-12 average but one of the consensus lower media-value schools is worth it on their own?
nikeykid

sounds like a done deal
BearSD
StillNoStanfurdium said:

ferCALgm2 said:

BigDaddy said:

Here's the thing. If somehow Oregon State or Washington State jump to the Big-12 and are worth a full share at an extra $31M then it's complete bull**** that networks kept low-balling the Pac-12 for so long and really starts to make it look like Fox/ESPN are colluding to kill conferences to consolidate teams and get better deals in the future.
Seems pretty clear at this point that ESPN and Fox have agreed to stay away from the Pac and let whatever happens, happen.

What we don't know is whether Empty Suit George is responsible for that, or whether it would be this way even if the Pac had a competent commissioner.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.