Pac-12 commish George Kliavkoff visiiting SMU

117,300 Views | 1094 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by calumnus
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Strykur said:

Pittstop said:

What if the 2 added schools received less than full shares, like say, $20M each (which is likely way more than SD State currently gets). Then, the other OG Pac schools would still get like $31M each, right. Would something like that be a viable option? Or, even at $25M each for the new schools, wouldn't that net the OG schools $30M or so?
The issue here is that the San Diego market would on paper be a material element of any new deal, and to stiff San Diego State on their share would be a bit hypocritical in that regard (SMU given how small they are is a different story). Oregon State and Washington State getting more money than San Diego State in a new PAC-12 would be bizarre.

If San Diego State brings in more money in the media deal than a full share, they will get a full share. The discussion was, what if they are dilutive? What if they bring in less? Then they will get less than a full share so the are accretive. The MWC pays out $5 million, so San Diego State can't care about Oregon State and Washington State.

The same goes for B1G admission. If Cal and Stanford do not bring in enough additional revenue for a full share, we should go in for something less as long as it is significantly more than the PAC-10 payout. We can't care about the "unfairness" of Iowa getting a full share. Membership has its privileges.
Pittstop
The B1G did the same thing with Rutgers, didn't it?
calumnus
Pittstop said:

The B1G did the same thing with Rutgers, didn't it?

Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska

Here is a good article discussing the issue:

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2022/07/usc-ucla-will-receive-full-big-ten-revenue-share-before-rutgers-heres-why.html?outputType=amp
RobertHedrock
calumnus said:

Strykur said:

Pittstop said:

What if the 2 added schools received less than full shares, like say, $20M each (which is likely way more than SD State currently gets). Then, the other OG Pac schools would still get like $31M each, right. Would something like that be a viable option? Or, even at $25M each for the new schools, wouldn't that net the OG schools $30M or so?
The issue here is that the San Diego market would on paper be a material element of any new deal, and to stiff San Diego State on their share would be a bit hypocritical in that regard (SMU given how small they are is a different story). Oregon State and Washington State getting more money than San Diego State in a new PAC-12 would be bizarre.

If San Diego State brings in more money in the media deal than a full share, they will get a full share. The discussion was, what if they are dilutive? What if they bring in less? Then they will get less than a full share so the are accretive. The MWC pays out $5 million, so San Diego State can't care about Oregon State and Washington State.

The same goes for B1G admission. If Cal and Stanford do not bring in enough additional revenue for a full share, we should go in for something less as long as it is significantly more than the PAC-10 payout. We can't care about the "unfairness" of Iowa getting a full share. Membership has its privileges.
This analysis is essentially correct but there are a few nuances regarding the past fifteen years of Big Ten expansion.

Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers were immediately additive (i.e., brought in more funds than the previous share per school); Nebraska through the creation of the Big Ten Championship Game (initially valued at $25M, which was more than the media share per school) and in television ratings (even given their recent pathetic gridiron performance, and having the smallest state population, by far, in the Big Ten, their rabid fan base produces ratings in the top half of the conference), while the increase in the BTN fees alone from Rutgers and Maryland covered the cost of their additions. The reduced payments were enforced because:

1. All conference schools are owners of the BTN, and it was quite reasonable at that time that the previous members be compensated for the financial risk they undertook; the three schools purchased, over a number of years, equity in the business.

2. The conference had enormous leverage over each of the schools. Despite the popular view that Nebraska fled the Big XII for financial reasons, the true cause was absolute panic of relegation to the MWC; when the 2010 PAC raid came to light, and Texas refused to sign a GoR at the June conference meeting, Nebraska pleaded for a life raft from the Big Ten, which quickly obliged. Maryland's athletic department was under serious financial strain, and Rutgers would probably have joined for a media share of $1/year for five years.

USC and UCLA negotiated from a position of far greater strength than the previous three, and were able to obtain a full share upon joining the conference.

Given the current membership of the Big Ten and the slow demise of the bundled cable funding model, the only three schools that I can envision being clearly financially additive in the long run, that the Big Ten would admit, are Notre Dame, North Carolina, and Florida State (yes, the Seminoles are not AAU, but it is only a [short] matter of time).

I suspect that Cal and Stanford would accept payments of $40M/year for the length of the current contract from the Big Ten, which would either keep the current membership whole and perhaps even increase the value of their shares, but no conference can survive with such a permanent class structure; to receive an invitation the Big Ten must be convinced that starting in 2030 the presence of the schools will not dilute to a meaningful extent the payments for the current membership. The path to an invitation is challenging, but it is possible, depending upon the attitudes of USC and UCLA.

Now that the football schedules for 2024 and 2025 have been published, the travel requirements have become real and no longer abstract (and wait until they deal with the other sports!). While I can see where USC and UCLA might relish their positions as the only two western schools in a "Big Boy League" and the recruiting advantages it bestows, I find it difficult to believe that they will be satisfied with the disadvantage they have been placed compared to their conference comrades because of travel. I do not wish the following sentence to be taken as disrespectful, but if I was the athletic director at either school I would far prefer to have Cal and Stanford in the conference than Oregon and Washington. The presence of Cal and Stanford would not only make scheduling easier, it would address the November prime time broadcast uproar that has afflicted the conference in the last month, and would make a "Big Ten After Dark" slot (an entirely new addition to the media contract) feasible. This time would obviously be covered by the California schools, and would receive decent ratings if the brands in the central time zone (Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska) were involved. (I doubt that Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State would ever agree to this assignment.)

I do believe that there is a decent case to be made for Stanford and Cal to join the Big Ten. If the administrations of the two schools are proactive, and can enlist the strong support of UCLA and USC on their behalf, an invitation is not beyond the realm of possibility.
Big Dog
CALiforniALUM said:

calumnus said:

CALiforniALUM said:

calumnus said:

Why would we add a school that is dilutive? I am pretty sure we are discussing potential additions (San Diego State and?) with our media partners to get values of the deal if they are included or not included.

How ironic to hear this argument against diluting PAC-x value when that is the same argument being used by B1G against us joining them.

Is it? I think the discussion is that we would come in at less than full share, we contribute one of the largest markets in the country, we would offer more later time slots for our home games adding value and relieving Midwest teams of having to play late games and save UCLA and USC travel expense. The point being that we only expect to be added if we are accretive for the B1G, and at some level greater than the prospective PAC-12 payout, we are.

Similarly, the PAC-10 will add San Diego State if it adds value and is accretive.
I meant to quote a different poster (BigDog?) after your comment.

I read BigDog's argument that we shouldn't add SDSU because it would dilute our own take home. I have read the same argument on why the B1G doesn't want to add Cal or anymore Pac-x teams.

While I understand that these teams could be given a lesser share, I'm just pointing out the irony of how one's perspective when looking up or down the college football food chain can lead to differences in perspective.

Not me. I'm not opposed to adding SDSU on a monetary basis; in fact methinks it is a good defensive position to keep a toehold in the greater SoCal territory and block the B12 off the left coast. Not seeing much value in SMU, however.

(OTOH, I have pointed out that the Pac Presidents have always touted the fact that they are R1/AAU -- top of the heap academically; SDSU does not fit that mold, so they (the Prez) woudl have to get over that hurdle.)
philly1121
calumnus said:

CALiforniALUM said:

calumnus said:

Why would we add a school that is dilutive? I am pretty sure we are discussing potential additions (San Diego State and?) with our media partners to get values of the deal if they are included or not included.

How ironic to hear this argument against diluting PAC-x value when that is the same argument being used by B1G against us joining them.

Is it? I think the discussion is that we would come in at less than full share, we contribute one of the largest markets in the country, we would offer more later time slots for our home games adding value and relieving Midwest teams of having to play late games and save UCLA and USC travel expense. The point being that we only expect to be added if we are accretive for the B1G, and at some level greater than the prospective PAC-12 payout, we are.

Similarly, the PAC-10 will add San Diego State if it adds value and is accretive.
Eh, that's not actually what you wrote. You're questioning why we would add SDSU when its likely dilutive to Oregon's and UW's of the conference. SDSU would be dilutive unless they came it at a smaller share, which - why would they? Especially if they think that its likely the conference may break up in 5 years. Same situation with us and the B1G. There's no way we are allowed in - especially from the likes of USC and UCLA - if we come in at full share. As far as bringing the #6 media market. Yeah, maybe. But no one is watching us in that market. And the same may be true for a Rutgers or Maryland but - those times are different. You want a media market but you also want ratings. As far as the UCLA USC travel expenses. They jumped knowing that travel may be brutal.
HearstMining
philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

CALiforniALUM said:

calumnus said:

Eh, that's not actually what you wrote. You're questioning why we would add SDSU when its likely dilutive to Oregon's and UW's of the conference. SDSU would be dilutive unless they came it at a smaller share, which - why would they? Especially if they think that its likely the conference may break up in 5 years. Same situation with us and the B1G. There's no way we are allowed in - especially from the likes of USC and UCLA - if we come in at full share. As far as bringing the #6 media market. Yeah, maybe. But no one is watching us in that market. And the same may be true for a Rutgers or Maryland but - those times are different. You want a media market but you also want ratings. As far as the UCLA USC travel expenses. They jumped knowing that travel may be brutal.
Thinking like the SDSU Prez, they might come into the PAC for a smaller share:
  • If the share is still more than they get currently.
  • The jump in national exposure is worth the decreased payout, at least for a few years which leads to . . .
  • If they think of joining as a five-year "dress rehearsal" for either full share membership in the PAC or maybe eventually a slot in the Big 12.
Econ141
HearstMining said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

CALiforniALUM said:

calumnus said:

Thinking like the SDSU Prez, they might come into the PAC for a smaller share:
  • If the share is still more than they get currently.
  • The jump in national exposure is worth the decreased payout, at least for a few years which leads to . . .
  • If they think of joining as a five-year "dress rehearsal" for either full share membership in the PAC or maybe eventually a slot in the Big 12.

I'm fearful they are going to outperform us and leave us begging for mercy into the MWC.
berserkeley
philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

CALiforniALUM said:

calumnus said:

The way I interpret what calumnus wrote is that the Pac-12 wouldn't add SDSU if they are dilutive so if the Pac-12 does add SDSU, it's because they're coming in at a share that equals the value they bring to the conference.

calumnus was replying to a poster in which the poster suggested that the Pac-12 would sign a media rights deal without SDSU or anyone else as part of the deal, then add those teams for $0 thus dividing the pot 12 ways instead of 10. The conference isn't that brain-dead.
philly1121
That's not really how I read his post. I read it as "why add SDSU when they would be dilutive to the P12", while not recognizing that we would offer the same dilution to the B1G. He wasn't equating the two.

Yes, of course I realize that SDSU would only be admitted at a lower share and HearstMining post is spot on as to lower share, dress rehearsal and/or national exposure would increase. I would agree.
calumnus
berserkeley said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

CALiforniALUM said:

calumnus said:

The way I interpret what calumnus wrote is that the Pac-12 wouldn't add SDSU if they are dilutive so if the Pac-12 does add SDSU, it's because they're coming in at a share that equals the value they bring to the conference.

calumnus was replying to a poster in which the poster suggested that the Pac-12 would sign a media rights deal without SDSU or anyone else as part of the deal, then add those teams for $0 thus dividing the pot 12 ways instead of 10. The conference isn't that brain-dead.

Thanks. That is what I wrote and I thought I made clear for anyone who thought otherwise in subsequent posts.
calumnus
philly1121 said:

That's not really how I read his post. I read it as "why add SDSU when they would be dilutive to the P12", while not recognizing that we would offer the same dilution to the B1G. He wasn't equating the two.

Yes, of course I realize that SDSU would only be admitted at a lower share and HearstMining post is spot on as to lower share, dress rehearsal and/or national exposure would increase. I would agree.

My point is that these things are being discussed with media partners. Kliavkoff will know how much the media package is worth with San Diego State and without. I think he will offer San Diego State only if they are accretive, if the amount they bring in will be more than the amount they get, with the amount they get being lower if necessary to make that happen.

While adding San Diego State even if they are dilutive might normally be justified for defensive purposes, or recruiting, I don't think Kliavkoff can risk lowering the payout to everyone else to bring them in, especially if the payout goes below the Big 12 payout. Thus I believe Klisvkoff should/will only add San Diego State if they are accretive, and will offer a lower payout if that is what is needed to make that happen. Otherwise we will stay at 10.

I don't know what the value to the media (especially ESPN) of San Diego State is, so I don't know if it justifies a full share or only something lower. I do think that they offer a better venue for later season night games than the Bay Area or especially Pacific Northwest, so that should be a consideration.
BigDaddy
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
OskiDeLaHoya
BigDaddy said:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/37864747/sources-san-diego-st-tells-mountain-west-plans-exit
BearSD
Either there is a gigantic payday to be had by waiting even longer to get a TV deal done, or Kliavkoff is just incapable of closing a deal and it was a big freaking mistake for the conference to hire him.
Big Dog
BearSD said:

Either there is a gigantic payday to be had by waiting even longer to get a TV deal done, or Kliavkoff is just incapable of closing a deal and it was a big freaking mistake for the conference to hire him.
It's more like herding stray cats. There is no consensus from the current 10 members on their own futures, and what they see is best for them. A few of schools want a short GOR so they can jump to the BiG. In the meantime, they want a higher % share. A few other schools are being courted by the B12. (If I don't get a full prorata share, I can go elsewhere.) The Presidents have to get over their snobbery to invite a non-R1/AAU.
ColoradoBear
That is pretty wild. No one knows what the @##@ is going on, but something will happen!
berserkeley
SDSU must have reason to believe the Pac-12 has a strong enough TV deal lined up to keep the conference together.
ColoradoBear
berserkeley said:

SDSU must have reason to believe the Pac-12 has a strong enough TV deal lined up to keep the conference together.

Or that they'll get an invite along with other mwc teams to backfill?

Or they have anactionable offer from the b12?
BigDaddy

“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
sosheezy
BigDaddy said:

I'm guessing Dellenger is sourced on this, but not sure SDSU really needs to do anything crazy. A few weeks of limbo between 6/30 and the projection of the deal getting sealed by media day were kinda always in the cards? MWC's official position is that they formally withdrew, so that would mean they only have the one year of payout. The only way they'd be screwed is if the Pac 12 does not invite them, which seems incredibly unlikely, and even if so, would the MWC really bone over their biggest school?
bluehenbear
is he sure they didn't mean "decelerated"?
6956bear
sosheezy said:

BigDaddy said:

I'm guessing Dellenger is sourced on this, but not sure SDSU really needs to do anything crazy. A few weeks of limbo between 6/30 and the projection of the deal getting sealed by media day were kinda always in the cards? MWC's official position is that they formally withdrew, so that would mean they only have the one year of payout. The only way they'd be screwed is if the Pac 12 does not invite them, which seems incredibly unlikely, and even if so, would the MWC really bone over their biggest school?
Well SDSU asked for a 1 month extension. The P12 has said all along that the TV deal comes first then expansion. SDSU would need to be extended a formal invitation by July 31 if the MWC decides to give them the extra month.

I would not if I am the MWC. What todays news seems to me to show is that GK has nothing of any real substance to show the leadership. Just a general framework. If there are as many details left to work out as it seems then media day will come and go without a deal. That is very bad optics.

philbert
So Dellenger is implying this won't be finalized before Media day?
BigDaddy
BigDaddy
sosheezy said:

San Diego State's exit fee jumps from $17 million to $34 million if they don't give their notice today, June 30, by 11 PM PST.

See Thamel's post, they are informing the MWC that they're staying.
BearSD
BigDaddy said:

sosheezy said:

San Diego State's exit fee jumps from $17 million to $34 million if they don't give their notice today, June 30, by 11 PM PST.

Their exit fee would be $34 million if they left with less tnan one year's notice, ie if they joined the Pac in July 2024. The fee will still be $17 million if they give notice before July 1 of next year that they will be joining the Pac in July 2025.
sosheezy
BigDaddy said:

sosheezy said:

Saw that. The question is that a definitive "hey we're not leaving for any reason to join the Pac 12 for 2024" letter or "well for now we're not leaving and we don't want to be unaffiliated even if just technically and we'll send the we're actually leaving letter whenever the Pac 12 gets its deal together and officially offers us." SDSU probably has more leverage with a Pac offer being in the MWC even if nominally than being in limbo.

This 6/30 deadline being missed was not new - SDSU was essentially referencing it when they sent their initial 'intent to leave, but please give us a month extension' letter. What changed? Was it the MWC playing hardball? Are the Pac 12 numbers, the framework of a deal being loosely discussed with the Pac presidents not good enough to include them? Based on the most recently discussed timelines of a deal by media day (and then an offer to SDSU or any other expansion schools), the $34M payout was the most likely cost expected unless the MWC relented on the number. Was the $17M to $34M bump always going to be a dealbreaker?

I'm still not sure what changed to have them definitely say they won't join the Pac if offered. In any case, a bad look again for the Pac, and similarly for SDSU (and De La Torre).

BigDaddy
BearSD said:

BigDaddy said:

sosheezy said:

Their exit fee would be $34 million if they left with less tnan one year's notice, ie if they joined the Pac in July 2024. The fee will still be $17 million if they give notice before July 1 of next year that they will be joining the Pac in July 2025.
sosheezy
BearSD said:

BigDaddy said:

sosheezy said:

I get it, but they knew the Pac medial deal and official offer wouldn't be coming into July, hence their letters trying to have it both ways by indicating they'll leave but also maybe we need a month extra. If the $17M to $34M leap was always going to be a dealbreaker, then Kliavkoff really screwed up by not getting this done in time. Wonder if this is still just mechanics so they aren't in limbo.

Interesting thought about them delaying entry for a year. Would likely mean less for the conference overall media deal however, with having less inventory for 2024.
BigDaddy

Interesting. At one point the CW was being mentioned as an OTA partner for the Pac-12.
calumnus
BigDaddy said:

Interesting. At one point the CW was being mentioned as an OTA partner for the Pac-12.

Still might be. I don't know if their acquisition of ACC games is good for the PAC-10 or bad for the PAC-10.
Strykur
calumnus said:

BigDaddy said:

Still might be. I don't know if their acquisition of ACC games is good for the PAC-10 or bad for the PAC-10.
It means fewer slots on a lineal network and dwindling options.
calumnus
Strykur said:

calumnus said:

BigDaddy said:

But frees up space on ESPN?

With the writers and now actors strike, there has to be interest for content on the lineal networks. Maybe NBC now is interested in having a PAC-10 game immediately after the Notre Dame game?
OskiDeLaHoya
Strykur said:

calumnus said:

BigDaddy said:

Not necessarily. This ACC package is their tier 3 games. I could easily see those games being aired at 9am PT or 12:30pm PT. The CW could accommodate an ACC/Pac double-header with the Pac-12 game airing at 1pm or 4:30pm .

I have a suspicion the CW will be involved in the Pac deal. No inside info, just a gut feel.

In fact here's what I think will happen::
- Apple will own the rights to all Pac-12 games. Pac-12 fans will be able to subscribe to Apple-TV+ or a specific package and get every game
- Apple will sublicense a top pick Game of the Week to the CW and that game will be simulcast on both ATV+ and the CW, coast to coast
- Apple will sublicense a 2nd (Pac-12 After Dark) game to ESPN on Saturday nights. Perhaps the CW and ESPN alternate 1st picks. This game will also be seen on ATV+ and ESPN coast-to-coast
-Apple might sublicense 1-2 more games and allow them to be simulcast. These could be a Thursday/Friday game on ESPN or another Saturday game on the.CW. I could see that other CW game being shown regionally over the air. To see it on the east coast, you would need to subscribe to ATV+.
- The remaining matchups for the week would be available exclusively on ATV+

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.