Pac-12 commish George Kliavkoff visiiting SMU

117,309 Views | 1094 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by calumnus
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
philly1121 said:

If that is the case, then this whole argument about media markets isn't really that plausible is it? In other words, if we can't get $30 million annually per school or more, then our media markets don't really matter that much, since ours are arguably better.

It begs the question as to what Kliavkoff is really asking for? $35-40 million per school?
My opinion is we are in a more sophisticated period where markets matter, but it is more than that, it is also the dynamic competition between tv networks. I suspect the B12's real value proposition is they give ESPN content during the same timeframe as the majority of Fox' B12 content. It's a blocking move which prevents Fox from dominating an entire time slot, which has implications for viewership before and after.

Many of our better markets have weak brands. But all of our markets are the only real content for that valuable timeframe. Unfortunately the B10 smartly entered the time zone with the LA schools and that hurts us because Fox doesn't have to bid for us, which means ESPN doesn't have to pay. Which takes us to streaming…we have to leverage any other provider who is willing to pay.
philly1121
tequila4kapp said:

philly1121 said:

If that is the case, then this whole argument about media markets isn't really that plausible is it? In other words, if we can't get $30 million annually per school or more, then our media markets don't really matter that much, since ours are arguably better.

It begs the question as to what Kliavkoff is really asking for? $35-40 million per school?
My opinion is we are in a more sophisticated period where markets matter, but it is more than that, it is also the dynamic competition between tv networks. I suspect the B12's real value proposition is they give ESPN content during the same timeframe as the majority of Fox' B12 content. It's a blocking move which prevents Fox from dominating an entire time slot, which has implications for viewership before and after.

Many of our better markets have weak brands. But all of our markets are the only real content for that valuable timeframe. Unfortunately the B12 smartly entered the time zone with the LA schools and that hurts us because Fox doesn't have to bid for us, which means ESPN doesn't have to pay. Which takes us to streaming…we have to leverage any other provider who is willing to pay.
You mean the Big 10 entered the timezone with the LA schools. I think you pretty much said why there is limited value with the Pac10. The B1G and the Big 12 are competing for morning and afternoon games. Ok, fine. That means that any other network or stream that wants to compete into that market is doing so at a reduced price because they don't think they can compete, or is offering to go into the 3pm EST timeslot or later. OR, they are choosing to compete via stream. Either way, it diminishes value for the P12.

As far as the valuable timeframe you describe, that is the evening time period. Why would any network or stream want to pay above and beyond for one timeslot that has diminished value on the east coast? As far as weak brands - our value went out when USC decided to leave. Now, the viewership draw is Oregon, Washington and Utah.

The limited time slot for viewers, the fact that Fox and ESPN are battling it out for the favored slot and our weak brands mean we really don't have much value to offer. This is why Kliavkoff is hunting for value.
tequila4kapp
Good catch on the typo. Fixed it
BearSD
sosheezy said:

BearSD said:

sosheezy said:

BearSD said:

BigDaddy said:

Might be something, but keep in mind that McMurphy is a graduate of a Big 12 school (Oklahoma State) and is motivated to spread negative intel about the Pac-12, whether or not it's significant or accurate.
He might have better intel on Big12 stuff, but he's been very straightforward on his reporting re: Pac 12. When the circumstances look bleak or limited, they just are, it isn't spin. He was the first to break the idea that Big 10 was possibly considering Cal as part of bigger westward expansion back when that was being discussed several months ago, when many online wouldn't even mention Cal.
(1) Suggesting that the Big Ten was considering further expansion is arguably meant to destabilize the Pac-12, even if he's suggesting Cal was considered.

(2) It seems like the Big Ten is, in fact, not considering further expansion at this time.

(3) So... his sources aren't worth much, or his sources were just speculating instead of providing accurate information, or he is "wishcasting", i.e. writing things that might lead to what he wants to happen.

I would suggest (as it was reported I think by Dennis Dodd and Pete Prisco too eventually) that the reporting merely reflected the scuttlebutt and discussion at the time, which I believe was late summer/early fall, when the previous Big Ten Commissioner seemed to be talking more aggressively about more expansion. It is true that now, it does not appear the Big Ten is considering it - that doesn't mean that some sources/decision makers weren't discussing it previously, and also clearly the Big Ten was divided on the matter, with the no votes overriding. But clearly some sources were advocating for it or at least consideration of it. The idea of these national reporters as agents of the Big 12, I just don't see it. The Pac 12 keeps stepping on a rake, that's the story, until we get a deal.
I didn't say "agents". "Fans" is a better way of putting it. McMurphy is a fan who just happens to have a sportswriter's resume, but he's still acting like a fan of his team.
Bearly Clad
With Oh. St announcing today that they're canceling their home n home with the huskies for '24/'25 people are speculating that it could be a hint that they expect to play as conference opponents in those years. I'd feel better if we were doing the same with Minny for '25/'28 but at least it might set the snowball in motion to where teams jump ship to the B12 and B1G, our leadership has no choice but to act instead of sitting mired in their own recalcitrance, and the B1G would be willing to discuss expansion even without their commissioner in place
6956bear
BearSD said:

sosheezy said:

BearSD said:

sosheezy said:

BearSD said:

BigDaddy said:

Might be something, but keep in mind that McMurphy is a graduate of a Big 12 school (Oklahoma State) and is motivated to spread negative intel about the Pac-12, whether or not it's significant or accurate.
He might have better intel on Big12 stuff, but he's been very straightforward on his reporting re: Pac 12. When the circumstances look bleak or limited, they just are, it isn't spin. He was the first to break the idea that Big 10 was possibly considering Cal as part of bigger westward expansion back when that was being discussed several months ago, when many online wouldn't even mention Cal.
(1) Suggesting that the Big Ten was considering further expansion is arguably meant to destabilize the Pac-12, even if he's suggesting Cal was considered.

(2) It seems like the Big Ten is, in fact, not considering further expansion at this time.

(3) So... his sources aren't worth much, or his sources were just speculating instead of providing accurate information, or he is "wishcasting", i.e. writing things that might lead to what he wants to happen.

I would suggest (as it was reported I think by Dennis Dodd and Pete Prisco too eventually) that the reporting merely reflected the scuttlebutt and discussion at the time, which I believe was late summer/early fall, when the previous Big Ten Commissioner seemed to be talking more aggressively about more expansion. It is true that now, it does not appear the Big Ten is considering it - that doesn't mean that some sources/decision makers weren't discussing it previously, and also clearly the Big Ten was divided on the matter, with the no votes overriding. But clearly some sources were advocating for it or at least consideration of it. The idea of these national reporters as agents of the Big 12, I just don't see it. The Pac 12 keeps stepping on a rake, that's the story, until we get a deal.
I didn't say "agents". "Fans" is a better way of putting it. McMurphy is a fan who just happens to have a sportswriter's resume, but he's still acting like a fan of his team.
I listened to McMurphy on the SMU podcast. He is tied in heavily with the Big 12 and acknowledged that. But I will say there is very little positive news coming forward regarding P12 media rights. Literally daily we see news that paints the picture of a conference and Commissioner that is trying to put a positive spin on what is not a strong looking negotiation.

Just today we hear that CBS and TNT/Turner have dropped out of the picture. That Amazon wants just 1 game per weekend. That ESPN is only interested in the late window of games. If true, none of that is good news. And then this. tOSU cancels its home and home games for 24 and 25 with UW. Why do that? tOSU says it is for scheduling purposes. That the schedule of games for 2025 is too daunting and they want a home game rather than come to Seattle to play what will likely be a good UW team. Could just as easily be a signal that UW may in fact end up in the B1G sooner rather than later.

McMurphy may be a fan of Big12 sports. But that does not mean he is wrong in his assertions. He does have sources. I wish I could see how the P12 ends up with a good media rights deal. There is so much out there that does not paint it in a positive light.

I do not know how much of what is rumored or mentioned by various media folks is truth and what is fiction. What we do know is that there is no deal. That there are some schools that are not happy with the progress or lack thereof. And a near universal declaration from the media that the P12 is not in a good position here.

I still believe that B1G expansion is not necessarily done for this media rights cycle. That some additions could still occur. The Big 12 has made western expansion something they would welcome. There was a time that I fully believed Cal was either headed to the B1G or the P12 was going to get a very good media rights deal. I no longer feel anywhere as strong regarding either.

SDSU and SMU are not the sort of programs that a strong league looks to add. Sorry they just aren't. Both are fine schools in their own right, but really adding them to the P12 brings "value"? I know the SoCal market. The market that USC and UCLA will still reside in and playing annual games against Michigan, tOSU, Penn St etc.

This media rights deal looks bleak to me right now. I did not feel that way even just 1 month ago. But the meeting at ASU just 2 weeks ago, the subsequent meeting with SMU in Dallas and then the awkward message on Monday regarding conference unity and confidence that sent the opposite message to many, has me very concerned.

We hear that the media deal could linger until end of March or mid April. That does not sound good to me. Hopefully all the media types are wrong and Kliavkoff delivers a media package that gives every school the ober $40M he suggested months back. Not holding my breath.
sosheezy
Bearly Clad said:

With Oh. St announcing today that they're canceling their home n home with the huskies for '24/'25 people are speculating that it could be a hint that they expect to play as conference opponents in those years. I'd feel better if we were doing the same with Minny for '25/'28 but at least it might set the snowball in motion to where teams jump ship to the B12 and B1G, our leadership has no choice but to act instead of sitting mired in their own recalcitrance, and the B1G would be willing to discuss expansion even without their commissioner in place
I took that as they expect to play at USC or UCLA in those years and don't want to do two West Coast trips the same year. Which is sort of preposterous as UCLA and USC have to do 3-4 road conference trips of similar distance every year. This thinking though by other Big Ten schools could mean future cancellations of games with Pac 12 schools or just not scheduling the Pac 12 OOC for home and homes, as they don't know when the LA schools will be on their calendar in future years. Another cooling effect of realignment. Sucks for college football if this means fewer meaningful OOC games.
Bearly Clad
Yea I considered that scenario but I just figured that two west coast trips in a season would actually be a big benefit for an Oh. St team that recruits the west coast. But if you're right and it signals the winding down of inter-conference games between the two historic Rose Bowl conferences (except when they pay the PAC schools to go play out there in a record-padding win by B1G school to a mid-tier conference opponent) then that would be incredibly sad.

It would also mean that the "alliance" the conferences agreed to against SEC dominance was even more of a joke than it seemed; little more than a "paper to guarantee peace for our time" like Neville Chamberlain's
sosheezy
Bearly Clad said:

Yea I considered that scenario but I just figured that two west coast trips in a season would actually be a big benefit for an Oh. St team that recruits the west coast. But if you're right and it signals the winding down of inter-conference games between the two historic Rose Bowl conferences (except when they pay the PAC schools to go play out there in a record-padding win by B1G school to a mid-tier conference opponent) then that would be incredibly sad.

It would also mean that the "alliance" the conferences agreed to against SEC dominance was even more of a joke than it seemed; little more than a "paper to guarantee peace for our time" like Neville Chamberlain's
For the Big 10 the alliance was merely a stall tactic to delay the adoption of the 12 team playoff so that the SEC wouldn't be solely in the drivers seat when it came back around - they clearly had the LA school raid planned already. Entirely deceitful and dishonorable on their part.
Anarchistbear
Other conferences challenging SEC dominance are like the country who wins the silver medal in Olympic curling
BigDaddy
6956bear said:

SDSU and SMU are not the sort of programs that a strong league looks to add. Sorry they just aren't. Both are fine schools in their own right, but really adding them to the P12 brings "value"? I know the SoCal market. The market that USC and UCLA will still reside in and playing annual games against Michigan, tOSU, Penn St etc.

The Pac-12 has always been hamstrung by geography, especially when it comes to expansion. The SEC and B1G basically existed within or bordering the Big XII and ACC footprints, with close proximity to other leagues and independents like Penn State and Notre Dame. Very likely that when the Big Two expand in the future, we'll see the ACC get cannibalized as programs like UNC, Clemson and Virginia head for greener financial pastures while the leftovers join the Big XII or AAC.

On this side of the Mississippi, it's an island of misfit Group of 5 toys. There were and are extremely limited expansion options available. The University of Texas was always the big prize, the one blue chip program that made the most sense, financially and geographically.

The Pac-12 tried to grab Texas and Texas A&M back in the early 1990s. Missed. The high water mark of the Larry Scott era was his attempt to lure Texas and OU to the Pac-12 in 2010. Missed, He tried again in 2011. Again, nada. Scott's idea to add Oklahoma and OK State never had the votes. In hindsight, that was a big mistake.

Personally, I think Texas and Oklahoma would have been better fits in the Pac-12 than the SEC. Better for those programs as well, not just culturally but on the field, where it wouldn't be the kind of tough sledding they're going to see in the SEC. Could have brought some combo of OK State, Tech or Kansas with them, for a 16 team super conference.

But once the Horns and Sooners saw their future with the SEC, any meaningful expansion for the Pac-12 Conference were pretty much dead.

“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
tequila4kapp
sosheezy said:

Bearly Clad said:

I took that as they expect to play at USC or UCLA in those years and don't want to do two West Coast trips the same year. Which is sort of preposterous as UCLA and USC have to do 3-4 road conference trips of similar distance every year. This thinking though by other Big Ten schools could mean future cancellations of games with Pac 12 schools or just not scheduling the Pac 12 OOC for home and homes, as they don't know when the LA schools will be on their calendar in future years. Another cooling effect of realignment. Sucks for college football if this means fewer meaningful OOC games.
Part of the reasons B12 teams would have been motivated to play P12 teams was tv exposure and recruiting. They've got that now to an extent with the LA schools in conference.
tequila4kapp
sosheezy said:

Bearly Clad said:

For the Big 10 the alliance was merely a stall tactic to delay the adoption of the 12 team playoff so that the SEC wouldn't be solely in the drivers seat when it came back around - they clearly had the LA school raid planned already. Entirely deceitful and dishonorable on their part.
Very possible
sosheezy
tequila4kapp said:

sosheezy said:

Bearly Clad said:

Part of the reasons B12 teams would have been motivated to play P12 teams was tv exposure and recruiting. They've got that now to an extent with the LA schools in conference.
It's kinda nuts though if you apply this logic to the East Coast too - as Rutgers and Maryland reflect the NYC and Mid-Atlantic markets are recruiting areas. By this logic Big Ten schools will never schedule Pac 12 or ACC home and aways. Which is preposterous. Now if the Big Ten somehow is agreeing to a 10 game in conference schedule I'd get it, but no word on that yet.
calumnus
sosheezy said:

tequila4kapp said:

sosheezy said:

Bearly Clad said:

It's kinda nuts though if you apply this logic to the East Coast too - as Rutgers and Maryland reflect the NYC and Mid-Atlantic markets are recruiting areas. By this logic Big Ten schools will never schedule Pac 12 or ACC home and aways. Which is preposterous. Now if the Big Ten somehow is agreeing to a 10 game in conference schedule I'd get it, but no word on that yet.

If the 16 Big 10 teams have a 9 game conference schedule they will each play a game in LA once every two years. If they add Cal and Stanford they could each have a game in California every year. Southern California one year and Northern California the next.
95bears
Listening to Canzano and Wilner interview the Big 12 commissioner is unnerving:

https://soundcloud.com/canzano-wilner

He has a hyper-aggressive disposition relative to our commissioner and seems like a sports media shark. It's clear he is going to continue to try and destabilize and carve up the Pac-12. It's also clear that academics and student-athlete experiences are not a significant part of his mandate, when Wilner asks about the higher education mission of his member schools, he spews verbal pablum for 1-2 minutes.

He really pats himself on the back for getting his market timing down relative to the belt-tightening at Disney/ESPN and across the media market. This is a major thing we're missing in the discussions on this board. We may be more valuable than the Big 12 in general, but in a down market, you're only as valuable as someone is willing to pay, and it looks like the P12 will only have one serious bidder if all the rumors are true.
BearSD
95bears said:

He has a hyper-aggressive disposition relative to our commissioner

Anyone could seem aggressive compared to Rip Van Kliavkoff. Someone should wake him up and tell him his employers need to have a media contract negotiated.
calumnus
95bears said:

He has a hyper-aggressive disposition relative to our commissioner and seems like a sports media shark. It's clear he is going to continue to try and destabilize and carve up the Pac-12. It's also clear that academics and student-athlete experiences are not a significant part of his mandate, when Wilner asks about the higher education mission of his member schools, he spews verbal pablum for 1-2 minutes.

He really pats himself on the back for getting his market timing down relative to the belt-tightening at Disney/ESPN and across the media market. This is a major thing we're missing in the discussions on this board. We may be more valuable than the Big 12 in general, but in a down market, you're only as valuable as someone is willing to pay, and it looks like the P12 will only have one serious bidder if all the rumors are true.

Given that it is a down market, you normally wouldn't want to lock in for the long term. Maybe just a one year contract, but Kliavkoff needs the PAC-10 teams to sign away long-term GORs, which they may not do if the number is too low….

I still think Kliavkoff needs to be negotiating terms of surrender with the Big 10.
95bears
calumnus said:

95bears said:

Given that it is a down market, you normally wouldn't want to lock in for the long term. Maybe just a one year contract, but Kliavkoff needs the PAC-10 teams to sign away long-term GORs, which they may not do if the number is too low….

I still think Kliavkoff needs to be negotiating terms of surrender with the Big 10.

That would be a baller move, esp. if he slid into the open commish slot.
southseasbear
calumnus said:

95bears said:

Pipe dream. Even if the B1G wanted to expand further (which at this time they do not) there would be no interest in Oregon State, Washington State, or us.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
movielover
B12 talking to Fresno State.

John Canzano:

"Keep an eye on Fresno State as an addition to the Big 12 Conference. I'm told the Pac-12 has only had "intermittent" contact with the Bulldogs. No visit. Nothing planned. I don't think the presidents and chancellors especially the ones a few hours away in the Bay Area in the Pac-12 view Fresno as a "must have."

" Fresno State and the Big 12 are talking, though. Yormark and Fresno State President Sal Jimnez-Sandoval have had "multiple conversations" a source said. The Bulldogs would love to join a Power Five conference."
southseasbear
They are too close to our backyard. Let them go to the Big 12.

We need SD St., SMU, Rice (great school), and either/both UNLV and/or Nevada.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
6956bear
movielover said:

Of course they are. They likely have talked with SDSU as well. You want to get into a P5 conference if you can. The expanded CFP will be adding additional money to conference coffers. Could be a significant number by 2026. And NCAA hoops units as well. Big 12 is very strong in hoops and will get a lot of members in the tourney.

The P12 may need to add Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV and SMU just as a defensive measure. They bring little in the way of additional TV revenues, but having both the B1G and Big12 with teams in the SoCal and central valley/Las Vegas markets is not good for the P12. Prime recruiting markets in the west.

Econ141
6956bear said:

movielover said:

Of course they are. They likely have talked with SDSU as well. You want to get into a P5 conference if you can. The expanded CFP will be adding additional money to conference coffers. Could be a significant number by 2026. And NCAA hoops units as well. Big 12 is very strong in hoops and will get a lot of members in the tourney.

The P12 may need to add Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV and SMU just as a defensive measure. They bring little in the way of additional TV revenues, but having both the B1G and Big12 with teams in the SoCal and central valley/Las Vegas markets is not good for the P12. Prime recruiting markets in the west.

Is it me or does the PAC-10 seem checkmated at this point?
juarezbear
southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

95bears said:

Pipe dream. Even if the B1G wanted to expand further (which at this time they do not) there would be no interest in Oregon State, Washington State, or us.

He wants to be coast to coast, but I'm not convinced the quality in his conference will hold up. I agree that he sounds all business, and maybe that's why they hired him. He could be selling aluminum siding or Burger King. The timing for us certainly sucks and if we're able to avoid tying ourselves up for a long deal, that.might work well because I think there's still a lot of change to take place in terms of broadcasting options. The tech sector and networks are getting hit hard, but it seems to me that if the B1G and SEC broadcasts bring home the bacon, other players might get aggressive again and look for other sports programming. I'm still unconvinced that the Big 12 will be the behemoth their commissioner thinks they are. Texas, aTm, and Oklahoma have to take a bigger chunk of the old Big 12 TV market percentage wise than SC and UCLA have of the Pac 12. The remaining Big 12 doesn't have anything football-wise that's equivalent to UW and Oregon or even Cal and Furd when they're good. I'm sure I'm looking at this thru Blue and Gold glasses, but that's my take.
BearSD
BearSD said:

BigDaddy said:

Like I said...

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-big-12-talks-with-fresno
Quote:

I saw multiple media reports this week that announced CBS and Turner were "no longer involved" in Pac-12 media rights negotiations. I had to stop and check whether I'd missed something. It was strange to see the CBS/Turner development reported as if it were breaking news. I've been told for months that neither network was ever seriously involved. I expect ESPN/Amazon to end up with the Pac-12's media rights.

One high-level industry source said: "I don't know that CBS and Turner were ever actually in."

Telemundo, PBS and HGTV are also not involved, in case anyone is wondering.
Bobodeluxe
PAC10 to go full Ted Lasso, bring in coaches from other sports, and sign with AppleTV. More money to be made from entertainment programming than commercials interspersed with talking heads and football bits.
movielover
6956bear said:

movielover said:

Fresno AD Terry Tumey is known for getting ahead of his
skiis. These ADs have tons of time to network and gab given the huge administrative staffs they have.
BigDaddy
BearSD said:

BearSD said:

BigDaddy said:

Like I said...

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-big-12-talks-with-fresno
Quote:

I saw multiple media reports this week that announced CBS and Turner were "no longer involved" in Pac-12 media rights negotiations. I had to stop and check whether I'd missed something. It was strange to see the CBS/Turner development reported as if it were breaking news. I've been told for months that neither network was ever seriously involved. I expect ESPN/Amazon to end up with the Pac-12's media rights.

One high-level industry source said: "I don't know that CBS and Turner were ever actually in."

Telemundo, PBS and HGTV are also not involved, in case anyone is wondering.

Canzano, of course, has no skin in the game with the Pac-12. LMFAO.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
concernedparent
6956bear said:

movielover said:

Of course they are.

Why would the Big 12 pick up that call?
calumnus
southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

95bears said:

Well, if we had a smart, visionary AD at Cal, we would be working with UCLA, USC, Stanford, UW and Oregon to defect and form the Big 10s West Coast pod (albeit at a lower payout for the new members). But we have Knowlton so we have to put our hopes in Kliavkoff.

A quasi merger with the Big 10, forming a football only super conference but the Big 10 and PAC-12 for other sports, is the best option for Kliavkoff and the PAC-10 as a whole. It would solve the other sports problem for USC and UCLA (and the Big 10).

Second-best is a similar deal with the ACC, especially if it includes Notre Dame (who is pledged to the ACC). That would have East Coast teams playing on the West Coast in their evenings, giving them a reason to watch and greatly increasing the value of those slots. ACC and PAC-10 could have more basketball matchups throughout the season. The schools are a good match academically. Importantly, the Big -12 would be the P5 conference left out, directly competing with the SEC in their best markets. It might also force the Big 10s hand, with the PAC-10, ACC (with another Dame) and Big 10 forming a football only super conference to outflank the SEC.

Econ141
calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

95bears said:

Well, if we had a smart, visionary AD at Cal, we would be working with UCLA, USC, Stanford, UW and Oregon to defect and form the Big 10s West Coast pod (albeit at a lower payout for the new members). But we have Knowlton so we have to put our hopes in Kliavkoff.

A quasi merger with the Big 10, forming a football only super conference but the Big 10 and PAC-12 for other sports, is the best option for Kliavkoff and the PAC-10 as a whole. It would solve the other sports problem for USC and UCLA (and the Big 10).

Second-best is a similar deal with the ACC, especially if it includes Notre Dame (who is pledged to the ACC). That would have East Coast teams playing on the West Coast in their evenings, giving them a reason to watch and greatly increasing the value of those slots. ACC and PAC-10 could have more basketball matchups throughout the season. The schools are a good match academically. Importantly, the Big -12 would be the P5 conference left out, directly competing with the SEC in their best markets. It might also force the Big 10s hand, with the PAC-10, ACC (with another Dame) and Big 10 forming a football only super conference to outflank the SEC.

I sincerely hope Kliavkoff comes up with something totally out of the box but I am not holding my breath. I am expecting the worst.

A merger with the B1G or ACC (whatever happened to all that partnership talk with them) would satisfy the out of the box requirement.

Some pac12 AD at the start of all this said "George is kicking ass" ... Lol 7 months later we have no idea when the new rights deal will come if at all. I hope all this wait is for something truly ingenious rather than "hey let's add smu and SDSU."
philly1121
calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

95bears said:

That's not going to happen. It would upend the new rights deal that the B1G has. It would also call into question the deal the B1G made with USC and UCLA. Not full partners anymore? No full share. There would be no way USC would accept anything from the P12 unless they got more in the media deal from the P12 for the remaining sports. That would never fly.

To be fair and blunt - the P12 media deal now hinges on the "best of the rest". All of the power teams are now spoken for with the exception of Oregon, UW and Utah. There's really no teams left that have that "pop" that would add significant value to either the B1G or the B12. To me, the greater and imminent threat is the B12. They are absolutely in "best of the rest" mode and are undoubtedly inquiring about AZ, ASU, CU, Utah, and SDSU. To a lesser extent, probably Fresno State and UNLV.

I would argue that this "best of the rest" argument of expansion has less to do with media market and more to do with trying to hold off the B1G and SEC. Conferences need to grab what they can in order to preserve the conferences. So its basically, what team can we get that has the best record over the past 10 years; are the teams marquee enough to add value and get people to watch, geographic location (not media market) for recruiting, then media market..

Its really about survival now. As far as the length of any new media deal for the P10 or 12, schools would be foolish to go beyond 5 years. But media partners are likely going to want at least 4 I would think. Otherwise what's the point?
Golden One
Econ141 said:

Some pac12 AD at the start of all this said "George is kicking ass" .
Yeah, George is kicking ass, alright. His own.
calumnus
philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

95bears said:

That's not going to happen. It would upend the new rights deal that the B1G has. It would also call into question the deal the B1G made with USC and UCLA. Not full partners anymore? No full share. There would be no way USC would accept anything from the P12 unless they got more in the media deal from the P12 for the remaining sports. That would never fly.

To be fair and blunt - the P12 media deal now hinges on the "best of the rest". All of the power teams are now spoken for with the exception of Oregon, UW and Utah. There's really no teams left that have that "pop" that would add significant value to either the B1G or the B12. To me, the greater and imminent threat is the B12. They are absolutely in "best of the rest" mode and are undoubtedly inquiring about AZ, ASU, CU, Utah, and SDSU. To a lesser extent, probably Fresno State and UNLV.

I would argue that this "best of the rest" argument of expansion has less to do with media market and more to do with trying to hold off the B1G and SEC. Conferences need to grab what they can in order to preserve the conferences. So its basically, what team can we get that has the best record over the past 10 years; are the teams marquee enough to add value and get people to watch, geographic location (not media market) for recruiting, then media market..

Its really about survival now. As far as the length of any new media deal for the P10 or 12, schools would be foolish to go beyond 5 years. But media partners are likely going to want at least 4 I would think. Otherwise what's the point?

Maybe I wasn't clear: UCLA and USC would get full Big 10 shares while the rest of the PAC-10 would split the additional revenue generated, likely less than full shares but significantly more than the PAC-10 would get selling its own content. For the other sports, UCLA and USC would compete in the PAC-12 which solves a significant problem for everyone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.