Pac-12 commish George Kliavkoff visiiting SMU

117,278 Views | 1094 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by calumnus
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?

As bad as we are - I don't agree with this. At the same time, I continue to think Carol and the Cal admin have never done enough (anything?!?) to develop and market our brand. And now we are going to pay dealy for it. We will lose the perceived flagship status as UCLA gets all the marketing and publicity from being in a national conference.
bencgilmore
this topic has been up for so long it feels like GK has just moved to Texas
RJABear
Econ141 said:

As bad as we are - I don't agree with this. At the same time, I continue to think Carol and the Cal admin have never done enough (anything?!?) to develop and market our brand. And now we are going to pay dealy for it. We will lose the perceived flagship status as UCLA gets all the marketing and publicity from being in a national conference.
.... and Stanford as the 58th ranked brand ? As much as I dislike our rival, they are a great school with a strong athletic brand.
Econ141

Free for all - this is what happens when you have a chancellor and AD that don't have a vision for the program. Others make that vision.
bearsandgiants
Guess I'll be finding a new hobby for fall Saturdays.
HateRed
How do you know that Christ and JK don't have a vision?
BigDaddy
HateRed said:

What have you seen over their time here that says they do?
RJABear
HateRed said:

Our experience over the past four years suggests athletic administrative incompetence. In specific - the swimming coach debacle and Mark Fox.

If they had a vision they might share that vision with the donors.
Bobodeluxe
RJABear said:

HateRed said:

Our experience over the past four years suggests athletic administrative incompetence. In specific - the swimming coach debacle and Mark Fox.

If they had a vision they might share that vision with the donors.
They stayed with square jaw. That is the definition of "vision".
nikeykid

ACC merger in the works?
DavisBear
We are in the midst of radical changes and have no leadership. We have too many people who think our academics will save us. UCLA has moved on to greener pastures and will assume their spot as the #1 school in the UC system. At this rate we will be playing such academic peers as Nevada and Fresno State. Things were changing fast and we got caught with our pants down. Our only hope is that the remainder of the PAC 10 schools have better leadership and can cobble together something and take us along.
juarezbear
nikeykid said:

ACC merger in the works?

Home run
Econ141
juarezbear said:

nikeykid said:

ACC merger in the works?

Home run

"The longer we wait, the more suitors we have. " George K lol
bearsandgiants
Boeing 787s with lie-flat seats for every team in the new conference, including volleyball, to ameliorate travel inconveniences and I think we've all got a deal.
hehatenate
This is the same sick feeling I had in my stomach in Jan 2012. Ugh. Good for BI / advertising clicks at least.

Only a miracle can save the Bears now
BearSD
nikeykid said:

ACC merger in the works?
That guy has been pushing the ACC/Pac idea on Twitter for months in spite of the lack of any evidence to support it.

Take his comments with the same amount of salt that you would put on every "source" who says a big-money TV deal for the Pac is imminent.
HateRed
It will be a long time from now when UCLA surpasses CAL as an academic power. Forget the rankings, ask the academicians…
StillNoStanfurdium
HateRed said:

It will be a long time from now when UCLA surpasses CAL as an academic power. Forget the rankings, ask the academicians…
Perception is reality in our world today. It'll make a difference to the each subsequent generation of new students making college considerations which will have cascading effects into the future.
HateRed
Students who go to CAL and UCLA know the difference. I heard it all the time when I was teaching AP classes. Not many outside of UCLA believe that UCLA is better than CAL.
BigDaddy
Econ141
And good 'ol Cal Athletics just re-tweeted the following trying to change the subject:

They still don't know what program pays the bills.
bearsandgiants
Econ141 said:

And good 'ol Cal Athletics just re-tweeted the following trying to change the subject:

Lol. Let the countdown begin? How about let the countdown continue.

12…11…10…9…
bearsandgiants
I still would almost rather have no program than be part of that big12 group of schools. Zero interest in the schools, campuses, stadiums and teams (with a couple small exceptions). Grrrr
sketchy9
bearsandgiants said:

I still would almost rather have no program than be part of that big12 group of schools. Zero interest in the schools, campuses, stadiums and teams (with a couple small exceptions). Grrrr
You might get your wish!
philly1121
HateRed said:

Students who go to CAL and UCLA know the difference. I heard it all the time when I was teaching AP classes. Not many outside of UCLA believe that UCLA is better than CAL.

HateRed, what are you on about? No one cares about where we think we rank academically against UCLA. That talk is reserved for one of three things - a joint alumni bbq where two drunks are arguing over who is better, or two librarians having a convo by the fire with a bourbon., or AP teachers trying to flex where they went to school. Really?

Its this very type of talk that shows that we are small time. And we are.

Colorado leaving also shows the complete ineptitude of George K. Can it now be said that for the past year he has shown us nothing but smoke and mirrors? He has NOTHING in his hands. There is no deal and whatever deal that may be thrown to him is below par.

However, nothing really has changed now, has it? Pac10 is looking for a media deal. Now Colorado is out of the mix. So we lose Deion. Does this now diminish value further?

If it wants to survive, and if we want to be part of it, P10 should invite, SDSU, UNLV and two texas schools and see if that staves off extinction. That is, even if those 4 want to join us.
Econ141
philly1121 said:

HateRed said:

HateRed, what are you on about? No one cares about where we think we rank academically against UCLA. That talk is reserved for one of three things - a joint alumni bbq where two drunks are arguing over who is better, or two librarians having a convo by the fire with a bourbon., or AP teachers trying to flex where they went to school. Really?

Its this very type of talk that shows that we are small time. And we are.

Colorado leaving also shows the complete ineptitude of George K. Can it now be said that for the past year he has shown us nothing but smoke and mirrors? He has NOTHING in his hands. There is no deal and whatever deal that may be thrown to him is below par.

However, nothing really has changed now, has it? Pac10 is looking for a media deal. Now Colorado is out of the mix. So we lose Deion. Does this now diminish value further?

If it wants to survive, and if we want to be part of it, P10 should invite, SDSU, UNLV and two texas schools and see if that staves off extinction. That is, even if those 4 want to join us.

I doubt anyone wants to join this dumpster-fire. George K just showed that he's incompetent and hasn't given any of his stakeholders a clear idea of where things stand. Colorado has made their bold move and now we are in a very bad scenario where it's everyone for themselves. And we don't have any leadership to navigate this.
HateRed
So, philly, what make you right and me wrong?
hehatenate
Is there a reason our Athletic Dept hasn't created a graphic with all the Cal players in the NFL over the last 20 years, just to respond to nonsense posts like this writer? It would seem to be an easy post to shut them up. I often have this debate in person with folks, and it astounds them how many people played at Cal.

You could start with a Mount Rushmore of Rodgers, Lynch, and then anywhere from Goff and D Jax, through Cam Jordan, Schwartz, Decoud….the list goes on and on. I'd even throw Tony G in there since he was recently still active in the league.

Graphic up top, names in smaller print at the bottom. Would love to respond to idiotic "Cal doesn't like football" tweets with that
Golden One
Econ141 said:

Completely brain dead.
philly1121
HateRed said:

So, philly, what make you right and me wrong?

I'm not questioning whether you're right or wrong or saying I'm right. I'm saying it's a ridiculous argument to be having right now as to who is better academically. No one is talking about that. That ship has sailed.
Econ141
hehatenate said:

Is there a reason our Athletic Dept hasn't created a graphic with all the Cal players in the NFL over the last 20 years, just to respond to nonsense posts like this writer? It would seem to be an easy post to shut them up. I often have this debate in person with folks, and it astounds them how many people played at Cal.

You could start with a Mount Rushmore of Rodgers, Lynch, and then anywhere from Goff and D Jax, through Cam Jordan, Schwartz, Decoud….the list goes on and on. I'd even throw Tony G in there since he was recently still active in the league.

Graphic up top, names in smaller print at the bottom. Would love to respond to idiotic "Cal doesn't like football" tweets with that

It's an admin full of morons. We are the suckers that somehow got passionate about Cal football while these fools have no idea what a gold mine they were sitting on. Idiots... To the point where a part of me is just like - welp I hope they get what they deserve. Many folks will lose their job when we are forced to downsize the athletics dept.
HateRed
You obviously have not been following this thread. Let's just leave it alone.
philly1121
HateRed said:

You obviously have not been following this thread. Let's just leave it alone.
No. I've read it.
HateRed
Me thinks not. I will not engage you anymore.
philly1121
HateRed said:

Me thinks not. I will not engage you anymore.
lol nah bro. I've seen your posts here and in the other thread "Putting today's news in perspective". You're quite the academic aren't you? You keep putting forth an academic argument but it really is irrelevant to where we are at tonight. Anyway, I will also not engage you in your "academic" debate. Good luck by the fire. lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.