Pac-12 commish George Kliavkoff visiiting SMU

118,338 Views | 1094 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by calumnus
Strykur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
StillNoStanfurdium said:

ferCALgm2 said:

BigDaddy said:

Hmmmm.
If this is true... ORE ST or WASH ST? Leave before things potentially collapse?
Here's the thing. If somehow Oregon State or Washington State jump to the Big-12 and are worth a full share at an extra $31M then it's complete bull**** that networks kept low-balling the Pac-12 for so long and really starts to make it look like Fox/ESPN are colluding to kill conferences to consolidate teams and get better deals in the future.

Somehow the previous remaining 10 of 12 teams weren't attractive enough to match the Big-12 average but one of the consensus lower media-value schools is worth it on their own?
Oregon State and Washington State know they are on the outside looking at, no way they get a full share.
BigDaddy
Golden One said:

When was the last time the Pac-12, Pac-10, Pac-8 had a competent commissioner? Ever?
Tom Hansen was a goof. Running the league like a Mom & Pop grocery store while Roy Kramer and Jim Delaney had the SEC & B1G operating like Walmart and Amazon.

Larry Scott's high water mark was nearly adding Texas and Oklahoma. Couldn't close the deal. Been downhill since then...
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
BigDaddy
ferCALgm2 said:

BigDaddy said:

Hmmmm.
If this is true... ORE ST or WASH ST? Leave before things potentially collapse?

I would guess this is more likely to be Oregon or Washington.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
Econ141
What we do know is the Carol and Jim are once again sitting on the sidelines letting all this chips play out until we have no option other than to say "we stand in solidarity with Oregon st and WSU in this Titanic ship we call the pac-10.
philbert
Has anyone besides Scheer reported that another Pac team (besides CO) is gonna jump to the Big12?
Arcadiabear
philbert said:

Has anyone besides Scheer reported that another Pac team (besides CO) is gonna jump to the Big12?
yes

Everyone is reporting it

It's a done deal
Arcadiabear

[url=https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1684329062259384320] [/url]
Deutsch
George "Prosperity is just around the corner" Hoover, Pac-11/12 Commish, again assured everyone today that the big media deal is just about, almost, not quite, probably maybe, sooner than later, sort of likely, to be announced one day, week, month, or year within our lifetimes. Why oh why would Colorado jump such a seaworthy ship?
nikeykid

this aged well
philbert
I have seen all of the stuff for CO leaving. I'm asking if anyone besides Scheer is reporting that a 2nd Pac team is leaving.
StillNoStanfurdium
philbert said:

I have seen all of the stuff for CO leaving. I'm asking if anyone besides Scheer is reporting that a 2nd Pac team is leaving.
Closest I've seen is ironically Dodd shutting down immediate rumors but qualifying his statement with "for now"
Arcadiabear
philbert said:

Ahh my bad, nothing official, but rumor has it that its oregon, and of course, they are aggressive.
golden sloth
BigDaddy said:

Golden One said:

When was the last time the Pac-12, Pac-10, Pac-8 had a competent commissioner? Ever?
Tom Hansen was a goof. Running the league like a Mom & Pop grocery store while Roy Kramer and Jim Delaney had the SEC & B1G operating like Walmart and Amazon.

Larry Scott's high water mark was nearly adding Texas and Oklahoma. Couldn't close the deal. Been downhill since then...

If we could go back in time, the play in 2009 (ish) would not have been adding half the Big 12. It would have been to have back channel discussions, leave the Pac-12 and create a new conference uniting the best of both conferences. A line up of:
1. USC
2. UCLA
3. Stanford
4. Cal
5. Oregon
6. Washington
7. One of Arizona or asu
8. Utah
9. Colorado
10. Texas
11. Oklahoma
12. Random texas +1 (probably texas tech or kansas)

Big markets, big brands, little dead weight from a media perspective.
Big Dog
Wait, what? A deal got done confidentially? I thought some folks on BI claimed that such discussions about moving from teh Pac had to be public discussions?
linebiz
golden sloth said:

BigDaddy said:

Golden One said:

If we could go back in time, the play in 2009 (ish) would not have been adding half the Big 12. It would have been to have back channel discussions, leave the Pac-12 and create a new conference uniting the best of both conferences. A line up of:
1. USC
2. UCLA
3. Stanford
4. Cal
5. Oregon
6. Washington
7. One of Arizona or asu
8. Utah
9. Colorado
10. Texas
11. Oklahoma
12. Random texas +1 (probably texas tech or kansas)

Big markets, big brands, little dead weight from a media perspective.

Hard no on Utah and Colorado

Those two weren't even in the conference in 2009.

Utah FB will fall back after Whittingham leaves just like Utah BB fell after Majerus retired. Utah FB will fall just like Boise St after Petersen left.

Not to mention Utah is only the second most popular brand in Utah behind BYU and they don't have the national following of the Cougars either.

Plus BYU will now start eating into their recruiting now that they are not only in a P5 conference, but they're in one that is growing and thriving while the Pac is dying.
HateRed
You're all full of s**t!
nikeykid

next domino is... arizona
BigDaddy
Heard tonight from a network sports exec that as many as 4 other teams from the Pac-12... Oregon and Utah among them... are talking to the Big XII.

Total panic inside the Pac-12 league offices.

Pac-12 has spoken tonight to San Diego State, SMU, Colorado State and UNLV.
ferCALgm2
If true, is ASU attached to them?
Econ141
Something clearly happened to make Colorado jump ship and the rest of the PAC to follow suit.

I guess Georgy was right - the longer you wait, the more suitors he got. In this case, the B12!

If this guy has yet to share any numbers with the PAC 12, it's clear it is game over. A huge blow to morale especially for Cal who will get left behind. Not sure I can get amped for this season anymore considering we are no longer a going concern.
BigDaddy
ferCALgm2 said:

If true, is ASU attached to them?

My network guy said that inside the Big XII there is some support for Arizona State over Arizona. I assume because of their location inside the Phoenix TV market? Also, ASU recently joined the AAU.
Econ141
Damn - what an impression we have left on the college.football world. Thanks again Jim!

wc22
Jason is lowest tier of journalist which is a subhuman organic category to being with. Oregon extended Lanning just a day ago and they need to approve the contract which was confirmed before Jason posted that.
oski003
Econ141 said:

Damn - what an impression we have left on the college.football world. Thanks again Jim!

Posting this from UA writer as if they are the college football world is ridiculous.
Vegas Bear
philbert said:

No. And Scheer is an idiot. He has no clue. He's just driving subscriptions while he has a moment where people think he matters
GOLDEN
From Oregon Board of Trustees website:

The Executive, Audit and Governance Committee of the Board of Trustees will hold an ad hoc meeting this Thursday, July 27, 2023, at 10:00 am Pacific Time. This will take place via Zoom, and the meeting will be livestreamed here: https://youtube.com/live/QTYWWiaJpSM?feature=share

FWIW Ad Hoc:

An ad-hoc meeting is an unplanned meeting held to discuss a specific, time-sensitive issue or task at hand. They are often short with a focused agenda and a clear goal to address and solve the problem as soon as possible.
nikeykid
Bobodeluxe
The whole pac10 will now join the big12, forming the western division, and the $ keep rolling in.

Mo money, mo money, mo money.
JB was a Chieftain
Bobodeluxe said:

The whole pac10 will now join the big12, forming the western division, and the $ keep rolling in.

The big question is whether the BiG feels they need to add some Pac leftovers (at lower shares) before they are snatched up by the Big12.
wifeisafurd
JB was a Chieftain said:

Bobodeluxe said:

The big question is whether the BiG feels they need to add some Pac leftovers (at lower shares) before they are snatched up by the Big12.

The only likely candidate to be able to choose between B1G and B12 entrance is Utah.
6956bear
wifeisafurd said:

JB was a Chieftain said:

Bobodeluxe said:

The only likely candidate to be able to choose between B1G and B12 entrance is Utah.
That may be true. If it is that is not necessarily good news for Cal.
calumnus
Big Dog said:

Wait, what? A deal got done confidentially? I thought some folks on BI claimed that such discussions about moving from teh Pac had to be public discussions?

That is for a move to the B1G.

The B-12 was raided by the SEC so they (and the Pac-12) do not have the same antitrust liabilities as the B1G and SEC. No one is accusing the B-12 of being part of a duopoly. SimilarLy, secret meetings between the Pac and SDSU and SMU, or Big-12 and Pac-10 teams are all legally pretty safe.

And the assertion I was refuting was "Carol Christ is doing everything possible to get into the Big 10."
ColoradoBear
wifeisafurd said:

JB was a Chieftain said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Utah would be very far down the Big Ten list - Utah is a state of 3.3 million people with 2.1 million of that population being Mormon. With BYU going to the Big 12, thats an incredibly small population dedicated to the Utes.

Utah being successful on the field has not helped the Pac 12's media value or Pac 12 perception one bit. They don't deliver many TV eyeballs now, and will deliver fewer when BYU is paying on a bigger stage.

For similar reasons, Oregon is not that great of a market, but clearly Nike is the biggest player in sports and Phil has money and sway to advocate for and fund their athletics. There is also the notion that USC didn't like the way Oregon was just 'cheating' better then USC. I think SC will do quite well in the Big Ten, while UCLA will lay an egg. At least in football. The non-rev sports will generally suck for both due to travel.

CU still has a decent market, as they are the only power conference school in state of 6.6 million residents, so 2x bigger than Utah.

Cal with a competent AD would be a much better option as the Bay Area + NorCal TV market is pushing 12 -15 million depending on how one counts. There is serious upside if the games are interesting (ie Cal is trying to compete, not just cashing the TV checks and doing the bare minimum while spending money on non-rev sports). Raiders are gone from the East Bay, as are the Warriors and 99% the A's are gone too.

Stanford doesn't have the quite upside that Cal does, but has been competitive in the last decade. Both schools need to show they want to play power conference football on the future, that certainly isn't a given. I would be wary of just following Furd's lead in this though because there is always the threat of Stanford and Notre Dame being paired up and that's a slam dunk invite to the Big Ten, and an offer Furd won't refuse even if they have some kind of discussion with Cal.

And if Stanford truly doesn't want to compete on this next level, Cal should still push for the Big Ten, as Furd will still have money to fund it's non rev sports, while that could dry up quite a bit if football TV rev goes to virtually zero.
wifeisafurd
6956bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

JB was a Chieftain said:

Bobodeluxe said:

I think (not know) the B1G would respond to the threat of a B12 western pod threat with offers to the teams they vetted earlier if the Pac implodes, which if Furd, Cal, Udub and Oregon. The price for admission may be less than a full share.
ColoradoBear
wifeisafurd said:

6956bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

JB was a Chieftain said:

Bobodeluxe said:

I think (not know) the B1G would respond to the threat of a B12 western pod threat with offers to the teams they vetted earlier if the Pac implodes, which if Furd, Cal, Udub and Oregon. The price for admission may be less than a full share.

Certainly hope the same. And hope that Cal and Stanford's supposed disinterest in the Big 12 is due to some understanding they will have a path forward somewhere else, and not that it's just a hope everything will just workout even if that means de-emphasizing rev sports out because the big 12 academics are just beneath the two schools.

As we saw with UCLA, the Board of Regents' approval not needed for any move like this, which is unlike many of the other schools having emergency board meetings. A move to the Big Ten could be arranged in secrecy, same with Furd since they are private. Oregon and Washington still have their OSU/WSU issues, but if the Pac 12 is truly braking up, I doubt they are held up.

NBC still hasn't solved the issue of premier BT schools balking at late night 8pm local games (5pm pt is perfect) and ESPN still doesn't have after dark game rights, so there is a way to make a west coast pod work, even if it requires a reduced share.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.