The latest on Conference Realignment and Cal - Saturday the 19th

167,126 Views | 1043 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by annarborbear
91Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Econ141 said:

accprisoner said:

91Cal said:

sycasey said:

ColoradoBear said:

berserkeley said:

JimSox said:

Piratefan2102 said:

Just saw that CollegeAD reported that the ACC Presidents are scheduled to meet tomorrow.

Ok. Why tomorrow? Negotiations, if there are any, have been going on for weeks. Now we're approaching some kind of deadline I guess. By now everyone's final final position must be known. Either a vote is flipped or not. So get this endless process over. Yes or no. Get the Zoom going and vote right now. Sheesh!
(Okay rant over).
As has been stated in other threads by those more in the know, the ACC will not take a vote unless the answer is yes. If no, we will either wait forever or accept when its time to move on.

Those same in the know people on here suggested a few days ago that the vote would take place Tuesday. Why Tuesday? Probably because that was the time it would take to get the last details sorted out to convert the UNC/NCSU votes from a "no" to a "yes."

Is the rest of the ACC against giving Clemson/FSU extra money? Some number would make them flip I'd think. Guess it also depends on what ESPN will kick in.
The NC schools seem closer to yes, and you only need one of them to flip. So the focus would be on what gets their vote. Clemson and FSU are likely much harder "no" votes.

If the NC schools vote yes tomorrow then it will be announced as unanimous with whatever the revenue splits end up being. A show of unity even if only for show will look good for recruiting for all conference schools. Clemson and FSU will be able to show they got more dough and all the others can say the conference is staying intact.

ACC insider here: the NC schools flipped. You're in with stanford. Just be aware what an awful mistake you've made. The acc has a contract with ESPN with a composition clause that allows ESPN to renegotiate payouts with schools, but not the acc to negotiate for more money. FSU and Clemson are going to slice the throat of the ACC sometime in the next year. ESPN will slash the payout to the bone after Clemson and FSU leave and the ACC will crumble if 8 schools find landing spots.

Also, prepare to get absolutely hosed on every single call in every single sport whenever you play a school from tobacco road. Pac 12 refs are like little children compared to the game rigging masters at work in the ACC.

That being said,
welcome aboard.

We have battered wife syndrome - we wouldn't be in a conference unless it hosed us on calls or used us a whipping boy. Thanks for the welcome - I'm sure we will feel right at home.

Exactly! Case file exhibit #1 Skov unpenalized hit on Goff: https://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=10025907 (someone has the video)
calumnus
91Cal said:

Econ141 said:

accprisoner said:

91Cal said:

sycasey said:

ColoradoBear said:

berserkeley said:

JimSox said:

Piratefan2102 said:

Just saw that CollegeAD reported that the ACC Presidents are scheduled to meet tomorrow.

Ok. Why tomorrow? Negotiations, if there are any, have been going on for weeks. Now we're approaching some kind of deadline I guess. By now everyone's final final position must be known. Either a vote is flipped or not. So get this endless process over. Yes or no. Get the Zoom going and vote right now. Sheesh!
(Okay rant over).
As has been stated in other threads by those more in the know, the ACC will not take a vote unless the answer is yes. If no, we will either wait forever or accept when its time to move on.

Those same in the know people on here suggested a few days ago that the vote would take place Tuesday. Why Tuesday? Probably because that was the time it would take to get the last details sorted out to convert the UNC/NCSU votes from a "no" to a "yes."

Is the rest of the ACC against giving Clemson/FSU extra money? Some number would make them flip I'd think. Guess it also depends on what ESPN will kick in.
The NC schools seem closer to yes, and you only need one of them to flip. So the focus would be on what gets their vote. Clemson and FSU are likely much harder "no" votes.

If the NC schools vote yes tomorrow then it will be announced as unanimous with whatever the revenue splits end up being. A show of unity even if only for show will look good for recruiting for all conference schools. Clemson and FSU will be able to show they got more dough and all the others can say the conference is staying intact.

ACC insider here: the NC schools flipped. You're in with stanford. Just be aware what an awful mistake you've made. The acc has a contract with ESPN with a composition clause that allows ESPN to renegotiate payouts with schools, but not the acc to negotiate for more money. FSU and Clemson are going to slice the throat of the ACC sometime in the next year. ESPN will slash the payout to the bone after Clemson and FSU leave and the ACC will crumble if 8 schools find landing spots.

Also, prepare to get absolutely hosed on every single call in every single sport whenever you play a school from tobacco road. Pac 12 refs are like little children compared to the game rigging masters at work in the ACC.

That being said,
welcome aboard.

We have battered wife syndrome - we wouldn't be in a conference unless it hosed us on calls or used us a whipping boy. Thanks for the welcome - I'm sure we will feel right at home.

Exactly! Case file exhibit #1 Skov unpenalized hit on Goff: https://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=10025907 (someone has the video)

Actually they called a penalty on Cal on that play.
JRL.02
Now how do we know you aren't fibbing?
Dothechop2
I don't think the ACC would be that stupid though. I don't think they would add teams if they knew it would give FSU and Clemson the chance to jump ship.
JRL.02
I'll believe it when I see it, but I hope you guys will be accepted. As a native NCian, there is nothing like the ACC basketball tournament. Even though it will be 2000 miles away, Stanford & Cal folks will enjoy it.
accprisoner
Dothechop2 said:

I don't think the ACC would be that stupid though. I don't think they would add teams if they knew it would give FSU and Clemson the chance to jump ship.
They're jumping ship regardless. This is a move to try and convince ESPN not to kill them on the composition clause and collapse the conference afterwards.
calumnus
accprisoner said:

Dothechop2 said:

They're jumping ship regardless. This is a move to try and convince ESPN not to kill them on the composition clause and collapse the conference afterwards.

If Clemson and FSU were smart, they would realize Cal and Stanford would rather be in a West Coast pod with UCLA, USC, Oregon and UW in the B1G and, if that can be secured in the future, would support their efforts to dissolve the ACC. Maybe that is Fox's plan? Maybe that is why we are being denied a spot in the B1G even at a hefty discount? They will wait until we have a vote in the ACC, then offer us a spot?

That said, I'm excited if the news is true.
KenBurnski
ACC! ACC!
JimSox
accprisoner said:

91Cal said:

sycasey said:

ColoradoBear said:

berserkeley said:

JimSox said:

Piratefan2102 said:

(Okay rant over).

That being said,
welcome aboard.

Sounds great. Thanks for the welcome!

(Now let's see it actually happen.)
WoodlandBear
Three year letterman, Cal Football. Screw the Big 10. No looking back, ACC! ACC! Plus, we are used to dealing with petulant, devious conference members like, oh, USC, UCLA, and Oregon of late. This is not our first briar patch. We are thrilled to be on-board. Thank you for the welcome!
91Cal
calumnus said:

91Cal said:

Econ141 said:

accprisoner said:

91Cal said:

sycasey said:

ColoradoBear said:

berserkeley said:

JimSox said:

Piratefan2102 said:

(Okay rant over).

That being said,
welcome aboard.

Actually they called a penalty on Cal on that play.

Even more appropriate to the future affiliation! The only question is whether the calls be more blatant than the offsides in South Bend or the PI call in Tucson?
TedfordTheGreat
RedlessWardrobe said:

If this were to really happen I could see 8 to 10 ESPN conference games hosted by us and the Furd in the 7pm local time slot. Be ready for just as much or even more night football.
this is not a bad thing as the posters frame it to be. Memorial stadium is absolutely electric for night games. There are plenty times where our team is no good but student show up in force.

Tell them its ESPN televised, and if our team is good? O gosh, skys the limit
TheBearWontDie
Remember the ASU night game in 2019 when we were ranked 15? Even casuals on campus were talking in excitement about that game. The rest was history...
kal kommie
TedfordTheGreat said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

If this were to really happen I could see 8 to 10 ESPN conference games hosted by us and the Furd in the 7pm local time slot. Be ready for just as much or even more night football.
this is not a bad thing as the posters frame it to be. Memorial stadium is absolutely electric for night games. There are plenty times where our team is no good but student show up in force.

One or two night Memorial games can be exciting in a year. Four or five is not welcome, especially those in November or December.
JRL.02
Let's assume this happens… would Stanford and cal alternate being home each week to get ESPN a 10:30p game?
sycasey
TedfordTheGreat said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

Also keep in mind that they have the Big 12, so some of those slots will go to the Arizona schools, Colorado, and Utah.
BearGreg
Staff
We continue to hear that things are on track for Cal and Stanford to be admitted to the ACC. Our understanding is that tomorrow is the day though from past experience, I can imagine that slipping a day or two.
Dothechop2
No SMU?
eabandit
I enjoy night games, just don't enjoy getting home to SF at midnight with two young children!
ducky23
kal kommie said:

TedfordTheGreat said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

One or two night Memorial games can be exciting in a year. Four or five is not welcome, especially those in November or December.

Can we please just all agree to make it a rule that no one here is allowed to complain about night games IF we get into the ACC?

It's either night games or the end of cal football as we know it. Can we all just please be reasonable about this.
UrsusTexicanus
Although the game wasn't at CSM, remember how we set the standard for night games with the 2019 affair against Washington that ended at 2:15 AM?
maxer
ducky23 said:

kal kommie said:

TedfordTheGreat said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

Can we please just all agree to make it a rule that no one here is allowed to complain about night games IF we get into the ACC?

It's either night games or the end of cal football as we know it. Can we all just please be reasonable about this.
I feel confident in saying that many will not agree, nor will they be reasonable.

bencgilmore
UrsusTexicanus said:

Although the game wasn't at CSM, remember how we set the standard for night games with the 2019 affair against Washington that ended at 2:15 AM?
i was at that game. the lightning was something else. worth it on that front alone.

although as i travelled back east for work on monday, i did pay for it.
nikeykid
accprisoner said:

91Cal said:

sycasey said:

ColoradoBear said:

berserkeley said:

JimSox said:

Piratefan2102 said:

(Okay rant over).

That being said,
welcome aboard.

best welcome message ever! thanks!
kal kommie
ducky23 said:

kal kommie said:

TedfordTheGreat said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

I cannot agree to not complain about having predominantly night games if I don't like night games.

How many elements of something you love can be replaced with a totally different and worse element before it's not the same something anymore given that each of these undesirable changes individually were not enough to break your devotion as they hit but the product of the totality of change is something you would never have came to love to begin with?

Obviously I still love Cal football and would be relieved to see it survive even in its sorry state but I won't pretend I don't despise everything that's happened. Memorial games becoming predominantly night games probably won't be the straw that breaks the camel's back but it will bring me one marginal increment closer to not caring whether we're in a power conference because I then won't care whether or not the program survives.
HateRed
I was at the Washington game too. The lightning was amazing. And, the thunder, wow!! I have to say that Husky Stadium is one of the worst stadiums I've ever been in for a football game. We were at the very top of the second deck and the football players looked like toy soldiers. I will not repeat that again, well this year. I'll be there again but with better tickets.
calumnus
sycasey said:

TedfordTheGreat said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

Also keep in mind that they have the Big 12, so some of those slots will go to the Arizona schools, Colorado, and Utah.

Though note they are in the Mountain Time Zone, not the Pacific.
calumnus
JRL.02 said:

Let's assume this happens… would Stanford and cal alternate being home each week to get ESPN a 10:30p game?

I think the answer will be yes on alternating. 4 games at 7:30 is a real possibility, but 3:30 is possible and is actually really great.

One of the advantages of having more West Coast teams in our pod would be spreading the night games around.

Maybe the later in the season we host Florida State or Clemson in LA or San Diego?
glb78
ducky23 said:

kal kommie said:

TedfordTheGreat said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

I would go to a 3 am game if the Cal FB program stays alive.

BearSD
calumnus said:

JRL.02 said:

I think the answer will be yes on alternating. 4 games at 7:30 is a real possibility, but 3:30 is possible and is actually really great.

One of the advantages of having more West Coast teams in our pod would be spreading the night games around.

Maybe the later in the season we host Florida State or Clemson in LA or San Diego?
Does ESPN wants a whole lot of 10:30 pm Eastern time games vs. Eastern time zone teams?

It's one thing for fans of a west coast team to stay up until 11 pm Pacific time to watch a game, but asking fans of an east coast team to stay up until 2 am Eastern time is asking a lot. It would also lead to a huge amount of pushback from ACC teams. I would be surprised if ESPN wants more than one late night conference game per year. Same for basketball, really. ACC fans love their hoops and want those games to finish at a reasonable east-coast time.

Also: With UA and ASU in the Big-not-12, ESPN has as many late starts in September and October as they want. Because Arizona doesn't observe daylight time, they are in our time zone for all of September and October.

sycasey
calumnus said:

sycasey said:

TedfordTheGreat said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

Though note they are in the Mountain Time Zone, not the Pacific.

The Arizona teams always played games in that time slot (they prefer it), and the Mountain teams did it for Pac-12 After Dark too. I'm sure ESPN will utilize all of them.
concordtom
accprisoner said:

91Cal said:

sycasey said:

ColoradoBear said:

berserkeley said:

JimSox said:

Piratefan2102 said:

(Okay rant over).

That being said,
welcome aboard.

Oh, you mean like our recent game at Notre Dame?
offsides? There was no offsides on that field goal attempt!

I did research after the game and the guy who flagged it had been contracted for some For Pay work at ND preseason. Let's face it, it was pretty-arranged!
BarcaBear
accprisoner said:

91Cal said:

sycasey said:

ColoradoBear said:

berserkeley said:

JimSox said:

Piratefan2102 said:

(Okay rant over).

That being said,
welcome aboard.

I am curious how they will decide the reffing for games out here. Does getting hosed against the tobacco rd schools also extend to when they play away games or just when we play them in tobacco country?

Do they say the most offensive sh*t you could possibly imagine coming out of a five year olds mouth *cough* U$C *cough*? Do the students flip out and start throwing their beer at you because you start chanting "It's raining in Autzen" to celebrate Marcuz Ezeff popping Oregon's senior receiver at the goal line to win the game in 2007?
JRL.02
My only concern is… none of the folks like Brett McMurphy or Nicole Auerbach or Pat Forde are reporting that there will be a vote today/progress is being made. I would think they'd be reporting this as well.
bearsandgiants
UNC women's soccer coach has chimed in...

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/dorrance-i-want-cal-and-stanford-to-die-on-the-vine/21011056/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.