sabrina ionescu

149,341 Views | 549 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
3Cats4CAL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vineyardview;842654446 said:

Wondering whether there would be a video posted of all the Cal players streaming across the Haas floor to greet and salute Sabrina after the Cal victory yesterday?

Alas we will never know how Cal planned to acknowledge their undying affection for Sabrina. Miramonte business prevented Sabrina from attending and witnessing Cal shoot down the Ducks.

Didn't someone previously post that during a previous Oregon or Oregon State game that SI was shown hugging/congratulating each player after the game? If SI had attended the last CAl game it might be kind of awkward if she were to do so again for one of the teams?
MoragaBear
Staff
Her "business" at Miramonte was an 8 pm NCS quarterfinal.

At one point in the 2nd half, Sabrina had outscored the whole Encinal team.
ClayK
So now we're accusing high school girls of lying? 50-year decision indeed -- if that's the product of a Cal education, it might be time to rethink ...
Bigshadetree
I guess this thread would have died out long ago if Kelsey Plum had committed to Cal instead of U-dub.
:p
Hope to see you all this morning - 11 am tip which means Chalk Talk is at 10
GOCAL73
ClayK;842654844 said:

So now we're accusing high school girls of lying? 50-year decision indeed -- if that's the product of a Cal education, it might be time to rethink ...

Clay, who says high school girls are lying? If you are referring to Shocky's post, he is saying Sabrina has been lied to by Oregon representatives. I didn't see anything about high school girls lying. Maybe I missed it. Can you explain?
petalumabear
yes because making up stuff (oregon reps lying) is more palatable than saying high schoolers are lying. The whole thread is a disaster.
Islander670
GOCAL73;842654879 said:

Clay, who says high school girls are lying? If you are referring to Shocky's post, he is saying Sabrina has been lied to by Oregon representatives. I didn't see anything about high school girls lying. Maybe I missed it. Can you explain?

To be fair, the mistake in Shocky's post made me read it the same way as Clay until I took the context clues to figure out he was missing a crucial word in that first sentence.
85 Fly
Side note-Here we go: Mirramonte vs Bishop Odowd D3 Section Championship game Saturday! Fyi-You can probably catch it on NFHSnetwork.com. Matter fact they are running a special if you join $10 this month, cancel membership at anytime and they have "replay" if you don't catch it live. I'll be at Sleeptrain Saturday with my Ipad in tow to catch games around Norcal and SoCal (really interested in Chaminade vs LB Poly match-up & Chino Hills Boys vs Sierra Canyon).
MoragaBear
Staff
Sabrina and Eddie will have a doubleheader, with both the Miramonte boys and girls at SMC for the NCS championship games.

Hate to miss them but I'm on my way to Arizona now for the two men's hoops games and some spring training games.
Schroeder71
CCS Open Division Championship: Pinewood versus Archbishop Mitty this Friday night @ 6 pm at the Leavey Center on the Santa Clara University campus. What's super interesting about these two teams meeting is that they have not played since 2013. The juniors on these teams were in 8th grade. There's only one senior on each team and they were freshman in high school when Mitty defeated Pinewood by approximately twenty points. AM presses and traps throughout the game rotating nine quality players. If Pinewood can break their press with crisp passing, they should be able to get their desired 3 point shots. Pinewood executed their game plan to perfection in the semi-final 17 point victory over Sacred Heart Cathedral by hitting 14 treys (47% accuracy).

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/archbishop-mitty-monarchs-(san-jose,ca)/girls-basketball/roster.htm

I do NOT know how the Panthers small team can stop the Monarch's offense that possesses good size. Mitty has two 6-2 posts and a half-dozen six footers on their roster. SHC dominated the boards against Pinewood. Pinewood's tallest players stand @ 5-10. They are also missing their PG, Bri Claros (knee injury), who averaged 10.9 ppg. bottomline: this game has the potential to be an offensive shootout. Mitty also converts on average 8 three point baskets per game. It should be interesting...I've never seen Pinewood play in person. I witness Mitty perfom multiple times per season and this is the best Monarch team that I can remember...This will pit perhaps the two premier CCS coaches in a battle between the Sue Phillip's pressure system pitted against Doc Scheppler's unique three-point shooting/passing game plan. Both coaches have won multiple state championships. Go CCS-may the best team prevail! GO BEARS!
MoragaBear
Staff
Pinewood beats the press better than just about any team I've seen in recent years so that should make this an interesting matchup.
mbBear
MoragaBear;842656857 said:

Pinewood beats the press better than just about any team I've seen in recent years so that should make this an interesting matchup.

So, in my mind there is nothing more to say in the recruiting of Sabrina that the last 3 games didn't show her: every player (and more) returning from a team that just showed they can compete with anyone in the conference. A group mental toughness that Sabrina can only add to, and therefore be at the highest level. A true "we have your back" with an inside game that is adding two new components, and that would only up Sabrina's game even further. A team that responded to their coach, and coaching staff.
If she doesn't want to deal with the academics, wants to be further from home, or just likes the pace of Eugene, yeah, you can't control that. But on the court? Cal just walked the walk.
GOLDEN
mbBear;842658701 said:

So, in my mind there is nothing more to say in the recruiting of Sabrina that the last 3 games didn't show her: every player (and more) returning from a team that just showed they can compete with anyone in the conference. A group mental toughness that Sabrina can only add to, and therefore be at the highest level. A true "we have your back" with an inside game that is adding two new components, and that would only up Sabrina's game even further. A team that responded to their coach, and coaching staff.
If she doesn't want to deal with the academics, wants to be further from home, or just likes the pace of Eugene, yeah, you can't control that. But on the court? Cal just walked the walk.

Well.....I am not going to guess to how the process is going to play out. What I want to see after all of this is for someone to interview her after to see how she arrived at the decision that she did. Because we will find out the reasons in detail. If it turns out errors were made in the process then those need to be corrected. At this point it is all speculation added to more speculation however, I don't think the mid season drama was a positive time.
califan
It is going to be Oregon, I am not going to waste any more time hoping.
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842658820 said:

[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=6][FONT=Garamond]https://t.co/4o6JPQcj1x[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

sabrina, you are literally the missing piece of the puzzle for the cal basketball program, has any team ever had 2 national players of the year winners in consecutive seasons?

you got a 3.5 gpa, you got academic ambition, stay home in front of your family (other than eddy) & friends in the beautiful bay area...is playing in the freezing azz northwest for a non competitive team at an academically mediocre school (95%+ acceptance rate) your dream collegiate experience that will position you for success in life the next 50 years?
mbBear
GOLDEN;842658717 said:

Well.....I am not going to guess to how the process is going to play out. What I want to see after all of this is for someone to interview her after to see how she arrived at the decision that she did. Because we will find out the reasons in detail. If it turns out errors were made in the process then those need to be corrected. At this point it is all speculation added to more speculation however, I don't think the mid season drama was a positive time.

I think the interview that goes beyond "I just thought in the end it was the right fit" is a rare one when it comes to recruiting follow up. And even if she says "I just wanted the chance to go further away from home" then there will be further speculation anyway. You don't find the interviews that say "I would have gone to (school X) if...."
annarborbear
My major disappointment in this has been the long drag-out on the decision announcement. I know most will say you simply have to do what is best for yourself. But when the local school has supported you and courted you for years, I think you should at least offer them the courtesy of an early answer if you are not going there so they can recruit somebody else.
ncbears
When did Ivan Rabb announce for Cal? And as the decision loomed and loomed and loomed - there was lots of hair pulling and certainty that he was going to go to Arizona.

It's not mine to give - but I'm giving her all the time she needs.
MoragaBear
Staff
If Sabrina were going to Oregon for certain, she would've publicly committed in November.

Recruits can't sign until April. Ivan didn't commit till 4/13. Most don't make a final decision an announcement till April.

I think a lot of people need to chill out and let Sabrina do her thing. I get the self-defense mechanism of not wanting to get your hopes up and the whole tea leaves reading thing but let the girl make her decision without casting aspersions her way. If she were an Oregon lock, Cal wouldn't still be recruiting her hard. She's genuinely conflicted, just like tons of other high-level recruits are up to LOI day, year after year.
mbBear
She might have let Cal know without making a public announcement, though I don't have a rationale for that. If I'm the parent, and she wants to use the time allowed, then I support her. Its not like Robertson in football-the second signing period hasn't even happened yet. Anyone who is being recruited by a local school who uses the second signing period is not being courteous if they have a school that has been on them?
Ivan Rabb committed on April 13th.
blungld
MoragaBear;842659242 said:

I think a lot of people need to chill out

Cal fans need to do what...?
GOLDEN
annarborbear;842659189 said:

My major disappointment in this has been the long drag-out on the decision announcement. I know most will say you simply have to do what is best for yourself. But when the local school has supported you and courted you for years, I think you should at least offer them the courtesy of an early answer if you are not going there so they can recruit somebody else.

I get what you are saying but that is not the way the world works. The recruits don't owe the schools or vice versa. If decisions should be moved up then why does the NCAA have a signing day in April and just have an early signing.
You could say that in every sport about every recruit

The concern is we could not close the deal after having a three year head start in our own back yard. Just gonna have to wait until April. I guess as fans we could tell Sabrina to pound sand and we as fans want an answer NOW but that is the wrong message.
NYCGOBEARS
blungld;842659318 said:

Cal fans need to do what...?

Alvy Singer ain't got squat compared to Cal fans.
pearbear
Staff
From USA Today: http://usatodayhss.com/2016/why-sabrina-ionescu-is-the-last-uncommitted-top-25-girls-basketball-recruit
MoragaBear
Staff
Smart girl.

“I’m taking my own path and not letting anyone alter it,” said Ionescu, an 18-year-old senior point guard at Miramonte (Orinda, Calif). “I tried to get it done (in November’s early signing period) to not have to deal with all the questions and everyone asking me every day.

“But I wanted to let it play out and let the true colors of the schools play out. I wanted to see how the coaches interact with me after a win and after a loss.

“I wanted to let other people make their decisions and see if or how their (criteria) differs from mine. I wanted to let the November period pass and all that pressure to give me a couple of extra months to be a kid and play high school basketball.”
jackbauerish
MoragaBear;842659242 said:

If Sabrina were going to Oregon for certain, she would've publicly committed in November.

Recruits can't sign until April. Ivan didn't commit till 4/13. Most don't make a final decision an announcement till April.

I think a lot of people need to chill out and let Sabrina do her thing. I get the self-defense mechanism of not wanting to get your hopes up and the whole tea leaves reading thing but let the girl make her decision without casting aspersions her way. If she were an Oregon lock, Cal wouldn't still be recruiting her hard. She's genuinely conflicted, just like tons of other high-level recruits are up to LOI day, year after year.

Cal would still be recruiting her hard until she is signed. Trying:newnana: to legislate opinions and behavior on this board? How's that workin' out?
MoragaBear
Staff
Legislate opinions? Bringing some facts and perspective to the discussion and suggesting people let things play out before writing Sabrina off = "legislating opinions and behavior" on the board?

People are coming down on her like she's screwing with Cal and saying all manner of fairly petulant things, assuming Cal has no shot, but have at it.
3Cats4CAL
MoragaBear;842661609 said:

Smart girl.

"I'm taking my own path and not letting anyone alter it," said Ionescu, an 18-year-old senior point guard at Miramonte (Orinda, Calif). "I tried to get it done (in November's early signing period) to not have to deal with all the questions and everyone asking me every day.

"But I wanted to let it play out and let the true colors of the schools play out. I wanted to see how the coaches interact with me after a win and after a loss.

"I wanted to let other people make their decisions and see if or how their (criteria) differs from mine. I wanted to let the November period pass and all that pressure to give me a couple of extra months to be a kid and play high school basketball."

The interview was very interesting. I wonder what is meant by the true colors of the school...? It would be interesting to know what if any each of the school's coaches said or did after a win or loss in comparison? I think Coach Gottlieb 's interaction would be positive, uplifting and inspiring and classy.
GOLDEN
Don't be fooled. She has already decided a couple of months ago. I hope the mid season short rift between LG and CA did not play into it.
ClayK
At least some of the Cal players were at the Miramonte beatdown of Brookside Christian last night ... Sabrina had 33 after three and Miramonte led 100-28. Aarion McDonald, Washington bound, had nine after three, but scored against the Miramonte bench late.

Final was 109-41, and East Bay's Salesian upset Mitty, setting up a Tuesday 7 p.m. game at Miramonte. Minyon Moore, who will go to USC, had 40 in Salesian's 70-66 win over Mitty.
mbBear
GOLDEN;842662334 said:

Don't be fooled. She has already decided a couple of months ago. I hope the mid season short rift between LG and CA did not play into it.

wow, I feel so much better now. I'm going to assume that you meant KA? And that the end of the year inter-action between LG and KA meant nothing, including KA's unsolicited tweet praising LG?
MoragaBear
Staff
Just saw stats on Eddie Ionescu for the first time this year.

As noted by many that saw him, he significantly upped his game this season and ended up averaging 26 points and 10 rebounds -far better than he'd previously managed.

Of course, he was offered the walk-on position at Oregon in October, before he had played any games this season.
bearchamp
Just watched Miramonte in the State finals. I don't think Sabrina is the answer to any of Cal's needs, based on this performance. She didn't show great skills, outside shooting or athleticism. She does see the floor. Doesn't look like she can guard D-I point guards.
MoragaBear
Staff
Lol the rest of the world disagrees.

How many players have a triple double on an off night against 2 top 20 players and a top team?

As for not being able to guard top point guards, she's likely amongst the state leaders in steals playing a top 40 SOS.
bearchamp
D-I is quite a bit different than high school and AAU.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.