sabrina ionescu

148,506 Views | 549 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ClayK;842675134 said:

Interesting ... I just interviewed her for MaxPreps, and though as an individual, I would never ask her, I did as a reporter. Her direct quote "When I come to a conclusion, I'll come to a conclusion."

From the tenor of my conversation with her, she had not made up her mind, though I didn't press her about specific schools, just about the process. From what I know of her, she's not going to be influenced too much from here on out by what people say, but also from what I know of her, if she had made a decision, she would have let people know.

Can you link to this max preps article?
kat0189
ClayK;842675134 said:

Interesting ... I just interviewed her for MaxPreps, and though as an individual, I would never ask her, I did as a reporter. Her direct quote "When I come to a conclusion, I'll come to a conclusion."

From the tenor of my conversation with her, she had not made up her mind, though I didn't press her about specific schools, just about the process. From what I know of her, she's not going to be influenced too much from here on out by what people say, but also from what I know of her, if she had made a decision, she would have let people know.

After enduring those obnoxious post-game, conveyor-belt, speed-dating, one-by-one *hugging* lines of Oregon's entire (sweaty) roster that descended on poor Sabrina during the season, it seems some of that Oregon buzz has cooled off! Well, at least on Twitter! A noticeable dip in Oregon-related activity and interaction.

Oregon's incoming class is good, but just HOW good remains to be seen. In the meantime, in photos McGwire/Giomi seem about 2 maybe 3 inches taller than Campisano/Hebard. McGwire has always been listed as 6'4", so I'm guessing Campisano and Hebard are about 6'2".

Given, the wildly different rankings for Campisano (#14 & #136) and Hebard (#41 and #116), we just have to wait and see. But at least their heights are settled (Hebard had been listed from 6'2" to 6'4"), and a pair of wildcards at 6'2" is less scary than a pair at 6'4"!

I feel a bit "safer" about Kristine Anigwe still being a major selling point and advantage for us in the paint.

I think Ionescu might be able to "forgive" or "look beyond" our dismal results from this past season b/c both Oregon and Cal had pathetic results compared to Oregon State's Final Four run, yet I still think Oregon State is sort of a distant 3rd.
Shocky1

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world
CoffeeBear
Shocky1;842683939 said:

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

That's from Friday at my school! As always, the Cal WBB program came out and represented with class, gratitude, and shared their stories/knowledge with the students. Mo and Kayla even played hoops and ran races against the second graders
Thanks Shoky1 for sharing this pic
Go Bears ��������
MoragaBear
Staff
concordtom said:

bearchamp;842671637 said:

Just watched Miramonte in the State finals. I don't think Sabrina is the answer to any of Cal's needs, based on this performance. She didn't show great skills, outside shooting or athleticism. She does see the floor. Doesn't look like she can guard D-I point guards.
Hate to say it, but I agree.
I think of posts like these every time Sabrina does something else mindblowing after her stellar collegiate career, being the #1 overall pick in the WNBA draft and now scoring 33 points and adding 7 rebounds and 7 assists in the Liberty's game last night.

Here were my thoughts after that state championship game:

Quote:

Classic case of making sweeping assumptions based on limited viewing.

She's got consistent NBA 3-point range, is an amazingly heady player with incredible vision, has consistently well-rounded stats -scoring, rebounding, assists, steals and blocks- and plays well against virtually everyone she faces, no matter who the competition is. She's played on the U.S. National team at two different age levels. I could go on and on.

Anyone assuming because she doesn't play fast that she won't be be a good to great player at the next level, whether at the point or 2, is well off the mark. She has a very deliberate style that's almost impossible to stop for very long and she's done it at a high level from day one as a freshman.
As a fellow Miramonte grad, I'm very proud of what Sabrina's accomplished, though it does make me gag that it's Oregon fans instead of Cal fans that get to celebrate all she's done and will continue to do.
willtalk
It is interesting how fans have always underestimated Sabrina's ability to succeed at the next level starting with high school to D1 college competition. She has even surprised her supporters. I mean her most adamant supporters did not expect her to become the generational college player she turned out to be. Nothing about her ever suggested her ability to vastly exceed expectations. But as to her transition to the Pro's, I put aside my doubts long before her first game because nothing she does will ever be a surprise. She is a player who consistently transcends her physical abilities. She is a force of nature that wins through sheer will.
HoopDreams
willtalk said:

It is interesting how fans have always underestimated Sabrina's ability to succeed at the next level starting with high school to D1 college competition. She has even surprised her supporters. I mean her most adamant supporters did not expect her to become the generational college player she turned out to be. Nothing about her ever suggested her ability to vastly exceed expectations. But as to her transition to the Pro's, I put aside my doubts long before her first game because nothing she does will ever be a surprise. She is a player who consistently transcends her physical abilities. She is a force of nature that wins through sheer will.
Sabrina has been a star at every level and will be a star in the WNBA too (although she badly sprained her ankle), but the player who impressed me about as much was her teammate Satou Sabally. In college she was unstoppable, and today she had a big double-double

Bobodeluxe
Shocky post!
GOLDEN
willtalk said:

All Sabrina,

mbBear
willtalk said:

Interesting narrative. I only thing I remember is everyone talking about what a big deal it would be for Cal to get her as a recruit?
Was she not recruited by UConn? I think anyone calling a HS player generational just means you got lucky in her case...she continued to develop, so all the credit to her.....
willtalk
HoopDreams said:

willtalk said:

Sabrina has been a star at every level and will be a star in the WNBA too (although she badly sprained her ankle), but the player who impressed me about as much was her teammate Satou Sabally. In college she was unstoppable, and today she had a big double-double

I am going to give myself a really big pat on the back for my call on Satou Sabally. When I saw her game in the Jordan Classic All Star game I told people on most WCBB sites that she looked like the best player on the floor. I think she only made two baskets, but her ability to run the floor, her defense on both the parameter and in the post along with her BBIQ had an impact on the game. Often stats can be deceiving with respect to the value of a player to the team. Sometimes players just have the "It" factor and that is something I saw in her in that game. She came in with little rep. Sabrina also has the it factor in spades.
Shocky1
coach gottlieb told me at that men's closed practice back in the day that was also attended by sabrina & her parents that ionesco was the final piece of the puzzle to the bears competing again for a national championship, she passionately believed the bears with a motivated & more focused anigwe (who would no longer be the focal point of other teams which often unhinged her) could rival unconn at the top of the pyramid

just like clarendon's pivotal role (on ball clutch scoring with steady floor calming leadership) for the final four team, ionescu would make everybody on the floor better & raise their games

but this recruitment was doomed by the corrupt oregon basketball program (an academically mediocre school with a 90%+ acceptance rate, it's easier to get accepted in eugene than get a dog license) which offered her brother a walk on slot with a fake future scholly offer by complicit criminal dana altman & one of her key handlers who was more interested in increasing his nike sponsored summer budget putting $ in his pocket than sabrina's academic ambition (3.5 gpa in hs)

so gottlieb was relentlessly all in on ionesco, she told me she never recruited a player harder other than kelsey plum whose decision play for washington hurt her deeply

the final decision in my opinion devastated lindsay & she was never the same in terms of her recruiting energy, she turned more focus (understandably) on her adopted son which helped made her a happier & more rounded person

charmin clearly got the program heading in the right direction, hopefully more fans will head to haas as she & her talented staff are working to build something special

don't be a dumb azz (censorship is for losers)#

university of california (Berkeley)=#1 ranked public university in the world (including eugene)
stu
Welcome back!
ClayK
>but this recruitment was doomed by the corrupt oregon basketball program (an academically mediocre school with a 90%+ acceptance rate, it's easier to get accepted in eugene than get a dog license) which offered her brother a walk on slot with a fake future scholly offer by complicit criminal dana altman & one of her key handlers who was more interested in increasing his nike sponsored summer budget putting $ in his pocket than sabrina's academic ambition (3.5 gpa in hs)

Do we have to listen to all this again?

Oregon's basketball program is not corrupt.

Eddie was never "promised" a scholarship. Dana Altman is not a criminal.

The slam at the unnamed "key handler" should be supported by evidence, which of course does not exist.

Here's a direct quote from Sabrina to me: "I don't like school."

If we have to read this kind of nastiness again, can we please at least hold Shocky to some kind of standard of fairness?
annarborbear
I had no problem with Sabrina choosing whichever school she thought was best for her. But I do remember being really disappointed in her statements about it. Instead of thanking Lindsay who had put in so many hours and years recruiting her, she simply said that Cal "has been dismissed from my list". I thought that was really low class, and showed a much too strong sense of entitlement.
ncbears
Also, as I recall, the final decision was UW or Oregon - and that Kelly Graves didn't know Ionescu would select Oregon until she showed up on campus. I recall Graves telling that story. It's almost like the Ionescus got in the car to drive north and stopped in Eugene rather than continuing on to Seattle. Maybe Ionescu was just tired of sitting in the car.....decisions have been made for less. (That is a bad attempt at humor).
mbBear
ClayK said:

>but this recruitment was doomed by the corrupt oregon basketball program (an academically mediocre school with a 90%+ acceptance rate, it's easier to get accepted in eugene than get a dog license) which offered her brother a walk on slot with a fake future scholly offer by complicit criminal dana altman & one of her key handlers who was more interested in increasing his nike sponsored summer budget putting $ in his pocket than sabrina's academic ambition (3.5 gpa in hs)

Do we have to listen to all this again?

Oregon's basketball program is not corrupt.

Eddie was never "promised" a scholarship. Dana Altman is not a criminal.

The slam at the unnamed "key handler" should be supported by evidence, which of course does not exist.

Here's a direct quote from Sabrina to me: "I don't like school."

If we have to read this kind of nastiness again, can we please at least hold Shocky to some kind of standard of fairness?
Probably easier to just not think that deeply into what he writes. But consider:
- How do the alums of that "academically mediocre school" manage to get jobs that enable them to attend Oregon sports events in high numbers, and contribute to the school (beyond just Phil Knight's money)?
-How is it that Dana Altman is not turned in by schools? That an alleged Cal alum has all the dirt on him, but the rest of the Pac-12 chooses to look the other way?
-An athlete who wants to go to college, yet wants a path that doesn't put them up against 4.0 HS students on a daily basis? This is not shocking. We always think that its about Cal finding the academically qualified, but most of those still need to want to compete in the classroom. It was hard enough being a student a zillion years ago, and I wasn't a full time athlete...its amazing how Cal players do it.
wbbilluminati
I'm all for playing armchair quarterback and "what if" with recruiting, but it seems particularly silly with Sabrina. Things very much worked out for the best for her at Oregon. And although we were the early leader, it was clear we were a distant also-ran by the end of her recruitment. Furthermore, even if Sabrina is "the one that got away", considering how recent that was (2016), how amazing that we've recovered with a top 10 c/o 2020 haul (and after losing our head coach)!
Ashfield63
I am partial to the players. What a wonderful and intelligent group of young women. After listening to Charmin at the Open Practice last fall, and her answers to questions, I came away feeling CAL BEARS WBB was in excellent hands. I have so much respect for the student athletes, and the coaching staff. They played and coached through a very difficult years., still they are all inspiring. The dignity, and unity Charmin expresses certainly aspires to the players. We lived in Moraga, and attended both the womens and mens basketball games for many years atSt' Mary's. Kelly Graves developed a winning team, however, he wasn't impressive as an individual or as a coach to me. At the end of this season, while watching Oregon on the Pac-12 station, I saw Sabrina yelling at the fmale coach who talked to her during a time out. She calls kelly Graves a Teddy Bear. I certainly never saw thatside of him when he was the HC at St. Mary's. Sabrina was an excellent athlete since she was a young girl. Oregon's fans took over Haas after the CAL game. They just would not leave the court. I felt badly for the security staff. I didn't know LG had recruited Kelsey Plum and Sabrina. I haven't found LG to be inspirational. It eemedto me she drew up plays that were maybe beyond the talents of the players she was coaching. Her last three seasons were disappointing. It sounds like she belongs coaching Men's Professional Basketball Players. I will take theBEARS any day of the
week. Great pictures of the players on Cal WBB Facebook, Instagram, and twitter.
Ashfield63
Ashfield63 said:

I am partial to the players. What a wonderful and intelligent group of young women. After listening to Charmin at the Open Practice last fall, and her answers to questions, I came away feeling CAL BEARS WBB was in excellent hands. I have so much respect for the student athletes, and the coaching staff. They played and coached through a very difficult year, still they are inspiring. The dignity, and unity Charmin expresses certainly aspires to the players. We lived in Moraga, and attended both the womens and mens basketball games for many years at St' Mary's. Kelly Graves developed a winning team, however, he wasn't impressive as an individual or as a coach to me. At the end of this season, while watching Oregon on the Pac-12 station, I saw Sabrina yelling at the female coach who talked to her during a time out. She calls kelly Graves a Teddy Bear. I certainly never saw that side of him when he was the HC at St. Mary's. Sabrina was an excellent athlete since she was a young girl. Oregon's fans took over Haas after the CAL game. They just would not leave the court. I felt badly for the security staff. I didn't know LG had recruited Kelsey Plum and Sabrina. I haven't found LG to be inspirational. It seemed to me she drew up plays that were maybe beyond the talents of the players she was coaching. Her last three seasons were disappointing. It sounds like she belongs coaching Men's Professional Basketball Players. I will take the BEARS any day of the
week. Great pictures of the players on Cal WBB Facebook, Instagram, and twitter!
Shocky1

clay, let's be real here, dana altman is absolutely a criminal
https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/28431/94

how does the recruiting scam work?...troy brown jr from centennial high school was a probable nba lottery pick in high school, he dad troy brown sr became involved with the aau las vegas stars program & overnight the nike funding increased for the summer before brown's sr season by several hundred thousand dollars despite the team attending the same number of tournaments, staying at holiday inn express, eating at olive garden, etc...troy brown sr pocked six digits & sent his kid to altman

and yeah altman offered sabrina's non p5 talented bro edy the promise of a ducks scholly down the road if he would walk on, that crooked deal never materialized of course

the monster also documented the illegal recruitments of deandre ayton (impoverished family living in poverty in the bahamas eventually ending up all expenses paid for at a sketchy online (documented academic fraud) high school in maricopa county before heading down to tucson for a year & brandon ashley (mom moved from oakland to tucson on miller's personal dime as arranged by nike's aau oakland soldiers, that deal ended when ivan rabb decided to play for his moms tami at cal) among many others, yeah the donut boy of tuscon is now finally facing ncca d1 death penalty cheating infractions

altman & miller just both work on a bigger stage than your boy kelly sopak who is moving on this season from miramonte to candrolet
https://pioneerpublishers.com/PPublishers/kelly-sopak-named-head-basketball-coach-at-carondelet-high-school/

sopak is the founder of the aau cal stars, his summertime nike funding before ionescu's sr season went up several hundred thousand dollars despite the same travel plans as prior seasons, this nike $ is non regulated which means that sopak pocketed a home mortgage downpayment for delivering sabrina to eugene...along the way he also tried to line up an assistant coaching gig at both oregon & washington, dude is relentless in putting his financial goals before his student athletes

your comment that the 3.6 gpa in hs sabrina don't like classwork says a lot about the academic integrity of an academically mediocre semi professional minor league organization like oregon (90% acceptance rates, it's harder to get a dog license in eugene than to get accepted in the school), do you think mental growth & intellectual curiosity are valued collegiate developmental ideals?

but clay you already know all of this, after all aren't you gonna be the new jv coach at candrolet for sopak this fall?...you seem to share a similar philosophy about cheating as your buddy, your comments from nor cal preps is as follows, "elite coaches recruit and coach...it's always been that way and its unlikely to change"...did you know that recruiting in nor cal high school basketball is illegal?
https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/carondelet-update.24583/page-2

in any case coach smith got the bears heading in the right direction, she & her staff are truly mentoring their student athletes which is truly the goal at the #1 ranked public university in the world

don't be a dumb azz#

ClayK
Here we go again ...

Flat out lies (Eddy was not offered any kind of scholarships), pointless insults about Oregon, unfounded personal allegations and insults.

I don't like getting into this, but someone has to call out Shocky1 for his continued abuse of these kinds of forums.
GOLDEN
ClayK said:

Here we go again ...

Flat out lies (Eddy was not offered any kind of scholarships), pointless insults about Oregon, unfounded personal allegations and insults.

I don't like getting into this, but someone has to call out Shocky1 for his continued abuse of these kinds of forums.
And insults towards Sabrina might draw a recruit away from consider CAL. You just don't know.

Like her or not every high school player knows who SI is. She lives rent free in Shocky's mind.
mbBear
ClayK said:

Here we go again ...

To be redundant: if half of this is true, then why isn't Cal turning them in? Or any other school. Okay, for the sake of conspiracy theories, let's assume the Nike schools aren't turning them in. Wouldn't UA love to have some shade cast upon Nike U?
GOLDEN
mbBear said:

ClayK said:

Here we go again ...

To be redundant: if half of this is true, then why isn't Cal turning them in? Or any other school. Okay, for the sake of conspiracy theories, let's assume the Nike schools aren't turning them in. Wouldn't UA love to have some shade cast upon Nike U?
Here we go again.
concordtom
MoragaBear said:

concordtom said:

bearchamp;842671637 said:

Just watched Miramonte in the State finals. I don't think Sabrina is the answer to any of Cal's needs, based on this performance. She didn't show great skills, outside shooting or athleticism. She does see the floor. Doesn't look like she can guard D-I point guards.
Hate to say it, but I agree.
I think of posts like these every time Sabrina does....
Hey, Jim
If it helps your ego any, so do I.
And oh yes, F You, ha ha ha ha, for shoving my nose in the pile I turd I laid! (Edit: I do mean this in good jest, I deserved the ribbing!)

I'm just now seeing it, but I'm sure you had as much fun writing it as I did reading it.

At least we can both celebrate her as fellow MHS alums.

....Time to pull out an old image from yesteryear!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.