sabrina ionescu

149,367 Views | 549 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sabrina ionescu, the #4 player in the 2016 class from miramonte high school, attended saturday's men's basketball practice at haas pavilion along with her mom & dad and the dynamic/fun lindsay gottlieb & her assistant coaches

sabrina is the ringleader to trigger other key 2016 commits in order for cal to "absolutely compete for a national championship"

in observing how closely the ionescu family (mom & dad are romanian immigrants) interacts with one another, it's very hard for me to imagine them passing up the opportunity to watching their daughter's games only 15-20 minutes from the house while she competes for a national championship while earning a world class degree instead of attending an academically mediocre university like oregon far from home

i asked coach gottlieb if she will be attending next saturday's game in austin & she said yes after she makes a home visit in texas...hmmm

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

50 year decision#
nwbear
If she is as tall as she appears in the picture, by all means we should be pulling out all the stops to get her to Berkeley 😉
Shocky1
nwbear;842543519 said:

If she is as tall as she appears in the picture, by all means we should be pulling out all the stops to get her to Berkeley ��

sabrina is a legit 6'+ & is still growing...she has a basketball playing bro who is 6'5"...will be interesting to see if criminal dana altman & the unethical oregon basketball program try to lure ionescu to eugene by offering her brother scholarship $

what you need to know about dana altman: during labor day weekend of 2010 tony woods beat the crap out of his girlfriend in front of their 8 month old child...woods was arrested and charged with three counts of assault for kicking and pushing courney lorel barbout who suffered a fracture of her spine in the attack

against the 6'11" 250 lbs woods, courney had no chance to protect herself

wake forest did the right thing and suspended woods

so oregon's sleazeball head coach dana altman recruited woods to shore up the ducks interior defense

dana altman & steve alford are enablers of sexual predators that commit crimes of violence against women if it means they might win a few more games

who else has altman recruited to eugene?

*elgin cook, declared ineligible during high in milwaukee for having a gpa under 2.0 & also left school for florida due to his involvement with gang activity
http://themilwaukeedrum.com/2011/02/13/the-tragedy-of-elgin-cook-other-mps-black-student-athletes/

*jordan bell from long beach poly was academically ineligible out of high school

*christiano felicio from brazil was declared ineligible by the ncaa after attending a roseville "prep school" handpicked by altman that is facing allegations of academic fraud & child abuse
http://fox40.com/2013/01/10/roseville-prep-academy-coach-arrested-for-physical-abuse/

*jaquan lyle, 2.5 gpa in high school & suspended for fighting in high school was ineligible to enroll at oregon

*ray kosongo was denied admission by the university's special admission board which was created by concerned faculty re: altman's disinterest in recruiting high character student athletes

*ben carter, suspended along with dominic artis for selling team issued shoes/gear, transfered to unlv

*a.j. lapray transferred to pepperdine

*brandon austin, 2.6 gpa in philly, was suspended from the providence basketball team after being charged with a sexual assault of a female student...he immediately was recruited & transferred to oregon...when confronted by the media, altman claimed he checked austin's background but did not know he raped a girl while at providence...charged in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed

*damyean dotson, suspended during the season for trying to use a fake id at a bar...charged in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed

*dominic artis, named in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed with a court restraining order does not allow him to set foot on the university of oregon campus

*elgin cook & jalil abdul bassit were arrested by the eugene police department for shoplifting at market across the street from matthew knight arena on sept 12th of last season...dana altman has stated "we expect our student athletes to conduct themselves as solid members of this community and team...both were "internally disciplined" (which means nothing as usual)"
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/10/two_oregon_ducks_basketball_pl.html

*dana altman knews that elgin cook had been cited for assault & battery, disorderly conduct and vandalism four years ago in wisconsin before he recruited him to oregon...criminal dana altman has stated "i was aware of elgin's background prior to his arrival at the university of oregon...the two years before he arrived here, elgin did very well at prep school and junior college, especially in the classroom...we would not have recruited elgin if we didn't believe he was capable of receiving a college education that he would appreciate and value"
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/10/dana_altman_was_aware_of_elgin.html

*jordan bell cited for harassing an oregon parking officer attempting to place a ticket on his car...altman suspended bell for 1 game, a home game vs pac 12 cellar opponent washington state

*dana altman has been named in the lawsuit against the university of oregon filed by the female student victim of the brutal player sexual assault for his role in allegedly lying to authorities that he did not know that brandon austin was dismissed by providence for raping a female student

*when mike montgomery had his cancer scare dana altman & his henchman tony stubblefield negatively recruited against the bears basketball program using this medical situation as a reason not to attend cal

make no mistake about, altman & stubblefield are pieces of worthless ****

this is oregon basketball#
Shocky1
"win as many basketball games as possible by recruiting low gpa/character non student athletes who engage in criminal behavior, steal/fight both on and off the court and also assault women as long as they don't make any meaningful academic progress while in eugene"

this is oregon basketball#
just do it#

stu
At Cal Sabrina won't have to worry about anyone on our men's team.
Shocky1
stu;842543556 said:

At Cal Sabrina won't have to worry about anyone on our men's team.

at oregon sabrina won't have to worry about:

**winning the pac 12 & competing for a national championship
**homework since oregon is an academically mediocre school with a 95%+ acceptance rate
**her mom & dad watching in person all of her home games unless they can afford air flights, hotels, rental cars & gas, & meals for each game, probably around $1,000+ per game as a minimum
**an exciting high paying professional career after basketball since an oregon degree is pretty worthless unless you want to work as the night shift supervisor at the 7/11 in walnut creek
**fiercely competing against kristine anigwe & other bears teammates every day in practice
**being double teamed every game with cal's talented starting line up
**getting a tan or being warm in gloomy eugene
kat0189
damn!!! shocky is not playin' around!!! :gobears:
Shocky1
kat0189;842543593 said:

damn!!! shocky is not playin' around!!! :gobears:

kat, the university of oregon is basically a minor league professional sports team with a loosely related academically mediocre school, they are the only school in the pac 12 i root against in all sports because of their continued bending/breaking the ncca rules in seeking a competitive advantage

ducks coaches have been promising unsophisticated recruits & their families "fabulous careers" with nike for years when in reality only a handful have ever had that opportunity actually materialize

don't be a dumb azz#
wifeisafurd
Said it before, but this is the recruit that could make Cal a final four team for four years.
kat0189
Shocky1;842543696 said:

don't be a dumb azz#

Me?

Anyway, I could have SWORN I just saw a tweet that excluded Oregon State and only mentioned Cal, Texas, and Oregon. But I could be going crazy as I can't find it now.

I read that Sabrina and her brother would love to stay together. I forget how old the article is. But the brother isn't top 40 in NorCal.

I totally agree Sabrina takes us to a whole new level. As much as I love Green and Cowling, I didn't really see any glimpses of them showing the fire and leadership you need to take over a game. I think Sabrina gives us a legit go-to star with is capable of heroics and has that competitive spirit.
CalFanatic
kat0189;842544117 said:

Me?

Anyway, I could have SWORN I just saw a tweet that excluded Oregon State and only mentioned Cal, Texas, and Oregon. But I could be going crazy as I can't find it now.

I read that Sabrina and her brother would love to stay together. I forget how old the article is. But the brother isn't top 40 in NorCal.

I totally agree Sabrina takes us to a whole new level. As much as I love Green and Cowling, I didn't really see any glimpses of them showing the fire and leadership you need to take over a game. I think Sabrina gives us a legit go-to star with is capable of heroics and has that competitive spirit.

I'm assuming it's Cal vs. Oregon-hopefully she chooses right!
Shocky1
kat0189;842544117 said:

Me?

kat, not you

kat=true california golden bear with relentless energy in support of the program

a pac 12 coach told me that sabrina's style of play & impact upon her selected collegiate program is akin to layshia clarendon's scoring, on floor moxy & gritty leadership in leading cal to the final 4

in essence sabrina ionescu is a program changing prospective student athlete
kat0189
Shocky1;842544183 said:

kat, not you

kat=true california golden bear with relentless energy in support of the program

Aw thank you.

I feel like if we land Ionesco, the sky is the limit for Cal, including in terms of recruiting future stars like Westbrook and DeCosta.
annarborbear
I think Anigwe has that fire and leadership also. The combination of Anigwe and Ionescu could push this team to its optimal performance with an absolute will to win.
ClayK
The "value" of an education is in great part determined by the quality of students choosing to attend a school, not what happens while at the school.

For example, take the incoming class at New Mexico State University, and trade it with the incoming class at Cal (ignore the size difference). Ten years down the road, which group will be making more money (if indeed that's the "value" of education)? I would say, without question, that the freshmen who qualified for Cal will do better than the freshmen who qualified for New Mexico State, regardless of where they get their college degree.

What we're really talking about is value added by a college, and I don't think that's nearly as great a factor as some suggest. I know, for me, when I went back to school in my mid-20s, I got a lot more academic value out of a community college than I did in my first go-round at UCSB.
califan
I wouldn't underestimate Cowling for example, she is a much better athlete and I think has a lot more to show us.
Shocky1
ClayK;842544362 said:

The "value" of an education is in great part determined by the quality of students choosing to attend a school, not what happens while at the school.

For example, take the incoming class at New Mexico State University, and trade it with the incoming class at Cal (ignore the size difference). Ten years down the road, which group will be making more money (if indeed that's the "value" of education)? I would say, without question, that the freshmen who qualified for Cal will do better than the freshmen who qualified for New Mexico State, regardless of where they get their college degree.

What we're really talking about is value added by a college, and I don't think that's nearly as great a factor as some suggest. I know, for me, when I went back to school in my mid-20s, I got a lot more academic value out of a community college than I did in my first go-round at UCSB.

clay, agreed that the individual determines the values of an education

my exposure to a diverse range of students many with world class talents while at cal has inspired my lifelong passion for learning & striving for excellence in all facets of life, that's a big part of the berkeley experience

eugene & corvallis, not so much
kat0189
Sabrina is the top priority by a mile. I hate to say it, but if we miss out on Chou, we could still score Evina Westbrook the following year. But Ionescu seems like she could definitely be a program changer.
GATC
Shocky1;842544453 said:

clay, agreed that the individual determines the values of an education

my exposure to a diverse range of students many with world class talents while at cal has inspired my lifelong passion for learning & striving for excellence in all facets of life, that's a big part of the berkeley experience

eugene & corvallis, not so much

Well said. I grew up in Fresno and when I recently met with my friends who were the top students in our high school that went to other colleges (including Fresno State), I noticed that they didn't have the "lifelong passion for learning & striving for excellence in all facets of life" and their careers reflected that. My life would have been so different if I wasn't inspired by the physics professors that were Nobel Prize winners and Prof Pimentel, the chemistry professor, that was part of the space program, and competing against impossibly smart students. I would have never had the confidence to take on anything and to persevere through failure.
orindabear74
Unless Sabrina has been asleep during her classes at Miramonte, the value of a quality education and it's impact on future success will likely play a major role in her decision. Miramonte is one of the highest rated schools in California. This in combination with the fact that her parents are first generation immigrants puts Cal in a great position to receive her commitment. I will be at Nations Orinda today for lunch and will ask my sources there for an update on Sabrina's recruitment.
puget sound cal fan
How do you underestimate a McDonald All-American?
OBear073akaSMFan
orindabear74;842544529 said:

Unless Sabrina has been asleep during her classes at Miramonte, the value of a quality education and it's impact on future success will likely play a major role in her decision. Miramonte is one of the highest rated schools in California. This in combination with the fact that her parents are first generation immigrants puts Cal in a great position to receive her commitment. I will be at Nations Orinda today for lunch and will ask my sources there for an update on Sabrina's recruitment.

Cal's coaches have been recruiting Sabrina since her freshmen year and no doubt she probably know the love on this board for her too. Since she is from this area, she knows the reputation of going to the University of California at Berkeley, compared to schools in Oregon or Washington. There is not much more we can do to entice her! Really, the ball is in her court now to select Cal or not.
Shocky1
OBear073akaSMFan;842544607 said:

Cal's coaches have been recruiting Sabrina since her freshmen year and no doubt she probably know the love on this board for her too. Since she is from this area, she knows the reputation of going to the University of California at Berkeley, compared to schools in Oregon or Washington. There is not much more we can do to entice her! Really, the ball is in her court now to select Cal or not.

100% disagree, the biggest challenge facing cal women's basketball according to coach gottlieb our the crowds at the games at haas pavillion

other major programs such as louisville, etc. negatively recruit against cal citing our average attendance track record

cal wbb was in the top 50 in attendance last year, this exciting up tempo team needs greater turnout from the existing fan base to introduce new fans to the bears...top 25 in attendance should be a realistic goal for this season

the ball is clearly in your court, my court, basically anyone who gives a **** re: the potentially unlimited future of cal women's basketball at the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

do you got your season tix(s)?...who are you introducing to cal basketball?
GATC
Shocky1;842544636 said:

100% disagree, the biggest challenge facing cal women's basketball according to coach gottlieb our the crowds at the games at has pavillion

other major programs such as louisville, etc. negatively recruit against cal citing our average attendance track record

cal wbb was in the top 50 in attendance last year, this exciting up tempo team needs greater turnout from the existing fan base to introduce new fans to the bears...top 25 in attendance should be a realistic goal for this season

the ball is clearly in your court, my court, basically anyone who gives a **** re: the potentially unlimited future of cal women's basketball at the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

do you got your season tix(s)?

You are absolutely right about this. I'll definitely be at most games as opposed to few games in the past. Definitely not a good for recruiting when we only have a good crowd against Stanford.
OBear073akaSMFan
Shocky1;842544636 said:

do you got your season tix(s)?.

yes I am a season ticket holder.
Shocky1
OBear073akaSMFan;842544672 said:

yes I am a season ticket holder.

muy bueno, maybe it's time to bring a couple of friends, family, strangers on bart, etc. to a cal game this november
GATC
Shocky1;842544674 said:

muy bueno, maybe it's time to bring a couple of friends, family, strangers on bart, etc. to a cal game this november

Does anyone know if the parking situation changed as they are building the new swim facility. I normally take BART but have parked in the pay lot below the Berkeley City Club. Wondering if that parking is still available.
stu
ClayK;842544362 said:

I attended (way long ago) a CA community college, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, and a CA state university. I can testify the other students, the level of the classes, and the expectations were far higher at the two UC campuses. Of course it's possible to achieve excellence at a mediocre school, but it's an uphill battle. For example, I took grad courses at the CA state university which used the same texts as upper division classes at UC Berkeley (and those grad classes didn't even cover as much of the material as the UC Berkeley upper division classes).
Bigshadetree
Parking is about the same - maybe a little worse because of construction going on along Bancroft although the new buildings are now open. Majority of the street parking meters are 2 hour zone - for weekday games I try and get there around 4:30 and can usually find a spot, or I will take Bart. Weekend games I usually park at Del Norte or North Berkeley BART and ride the train in -
Bart is very convenient to get to the games.
GATC
Bigshadetree;842544816 said:

Parking is about the same - maybe a little worse because of construction going on along Bancroft although the new buildings are now open. Majority of the street parking meters are 2 hour zone - for weekday games I try and get there around 4:30 and can usually find a spot, or I will take Bart. Weekend games I usually park at Del Norte or North Berkeley BART and ride the train in -

Thanks.
Wookids
Bigshadetree;842544816 said:

No idea where BART's stop is. Roughly how many blocks or minutes walk away from Haas?
Bigshadetree
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4977[/ATTACH] - from Google Earth

From Downtown Berkeley BART station it is about 3 blocks through Campus to Haas Pavillion
I walk up Center - cross Oxford and follow Grinnell Pathway to Haas or you can cross Oxford, turn right to Schlessinger Way and walk to Haas.
:gobears:
Shocky1
Bigshadetree;842544992 said:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4977[/ATTACH] - from Google Earth

From Downtown Berkeley BART station it is about 3 blocks through Campus to Haas Pavillion
I walk up Center - cross Oxford and follow Grinnell Pathway to Haas or you can cross Oxford, turn right to Schlessinger Way and walk to Haas.
:gobears:

bears fans need to turn out in numbers for cal basketball games at haas pavilion

yeah, we're smart enough to figure how to get to berkeley on gamedays

the time is now#
ClayK
stu;842544730 said:

I attended (way long ago) a CA community college, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, and a CA state university. I can testify the other students, the level of the classes, and the expectations were far higher at the two UC campuses. Of course it's possible to achieve excellence at a mediocre school, but it's an uphill battle. For example, I took grad courses at the CA state university which used the same texts as upper division classes at UC Berkeley (and those grad classes didn't even cover as much of the material as the UC Berkeley upper division classes).

Good points ... but what if the students had been the same ones as the ones at Berkeley? How would that have changed the experience?
Shocky1
ClayK;842545025 said:

Good points ... but what if the students had been the same ones as the ones at Berkeley? How would that have changed the experience?

that's an impossible scenario

if berkeley students were in eugene or corvallis, oregon & oregon state wouldn't be academically mediocre schools with 95%+ acceptance rates

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.