sabrina ionescu

149,383 Views | 549 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
85 Fly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oh snaps both Cal Star ladies touring OSU at the same time... Happy for Kat (she will stay with OSU, barring some unforeseen...) but will that make Sabrina wanna lean that way because of her teammate?! MapQuest says OSU is only 1 hour from twin at Univ Orgeon...hmmm.... Cmon Sabrina blaze your own trail! :gobears:
Shocky1
Shocky1;842543542 said:

sabrina is a legit 6'+ & is still growing...she has a basketball playing bro who is 6'5"...will be interesting to see if criminal dana altman & the unethical oregon basketball program try to lure ionescu to eugene by offering her brother scholarship $

what you need to know about dana altman: during labor day weekend of 2010 tony woods beat the crap out of his girlfriend in front of their 8 month old child...woods was arrested and charged with three counts of assault for kicking and pushing courney lorel barbout who suffered a fracture of her spine in the attack

against the 6'11" 250 lbs woods, courney had no chance to protect herself

wake forest did the right thing and suspended woods

so oregon's sleazeball head coach dana altman recruited woods to shore up the ducks interior defense

dana altman & steve alford are enablers of sexual predators that commit crimes of violence against women if it means they might win a few more games

who else has altman recruited to eugene?

*elgin cook, declared ineligible during high in milwaukee for having a gpa under 2.0 & also left school for florida due to his involvement with gang activity
http://themilwaukeedrum.com/2011/02/13/the-tragedy-of-elgin-cook-other-mps-black-student-athletes/

*jordan bell from long beach poly was academically ineligible out of high school

*christiano felicio from brazil was declared ineligible by the ncaa after attending a roseville "prep school" handpicked by altman that is facing allegations of academic fraud & child abuse
http://fox40.com/2013/01/10/roseville-prep-academy-coach-arrested-for-physical-abuse/

*jaquan lyle, 2.5 gpa in high school & suspended for fighting in high school was ineligible to enroll at oregon

*ray kosongo was denied admission by the university's special admission board which was created by concerned faculty re: altman's disinterest in recruiting high character student athletes

*ben carter, suspended along with dominic artis for selling team issued shoes/gear, transfered to unlv

*a.j. lapray transferred to pepperdine

*brandon austin, 2.6 gpa in philly, was suspended from the providence basketball team after being charged with a sexual assault of a female student...he immediately was recruited & transferred to oregon...when confronted by the media, altman claimed he checked austin's background but did not know he raped a girl while at providence...charged in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed

*damyean dotson, suspended during the season for trying to use a fake id at a bar...charged in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed

*dominic artis, named in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed with a court restraining order does not allow him to set foot on the university of oregon campus

*elgin cook & jalil abdul bassit were arrested by the eugene police department for shoplifting at market across the street from matthew knight arena on sept 12th of last season...dana altman has stated "we expect our student athletes to conduct themselves as solid members of this community and team...both were "internally disciplined" (which means nothing as usual)"
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/10/two_oregon_ducks_basketball_pl.html

*dana altman knews that elgin cook had been cited for assault & battery, disorderly conduct and vandalism four years ago in wisconsin before he recruited him to oregon...criminal dana altman has stated "i was aware of elgin's background prior to his arrival at the university of oregon...the two years before he arrived here, elgin did very well at prep school and junior college, especially in the classroom...we would not have recruited elgin if we didn't believe he was capable of receiving a college education that he would appreciate and value"
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/10/dana_altman_was_aware_of_elgin.html

*jordan bell cited for harassing an oregon parking officer attempting to place a ticket on his car...altman suspended bell for 1 game, a home game vs pac 12 cellar opponent washington state

*dana altman has been named in the lawsuit against the university of oregon filed by the female student victim of the brutal player sexual assault for his role in allegedly lying to authorities that he did not know that brandon austin was dismissed by providence for raping a female student

*when mike montgomery had his cancer scare dana altman & his henchman tony stubblefield negatively recruited against the bears basketball program using this medical situation as a reason not to attend cal

make no mistake about, altman & stubblefield are pieces of worthless ****

this is oregon basketball#

latest basketball news from eugene...the implicit blackmail card in this lawsuit is that altman has continually lied when he says he didn't know this guy raped a student at providence before he transferred to oregon & raped another student
http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20151030/SPORTS/151039916/-1/breaking_ajax
Shocky1
"we go to the #1 ranked public university in the world...that's the only ranking that matters to us right now"

-ivan rabb

https://www.facebook.com/CalMensBBall/photos/a.268802373137093.87747.268794273137903/1238505232833464/?type=3
[video=youtube;YxifBKwBupU][/video]

50 year decision#
ClayK
On Rebkell, a poster who lives in the Bay Area said he heard Sabrina was down to Oregon and Cal. Interesting, if true ...
bobbk
Clay that's per a PN story
Same story Chou down to Texas and Baylor
OBear073akaSMFan
bobbk;842583576 said:

Clay that's per a PN story
Same story Chou down to Texas and Baylor

:buttkick:
ccajon
CalFanatic;842574120 said:

Shocky- your posts have been nothing but cringe worthy regarding this matter. Grow up, act like an adult, and be happy for the kid. You are making Cal fans look like immature children

Agree. My sister introduced me to a wonderful lady who is a UO grad. Been going out together for 4 years now, so I've been fortunate to have met many of her friends,
many of them also UO grads. Funny how they're all very well off, and seemingly more so then the OP of that useless, antiquated "Munster Class" thread who's
use fullness and readability have long since passed. And, I am a Cal fan. Shocky has long since devolved into the Richard Lee/ Blueblood/and Yogi Bear class of poster on this board. And, may I repeat once again, for some of us, it's real, f---in' hard to have to drive 5 hours to every game to prove how great a fan I am. (I live in Pismo Beach, a long round trip drive for a weeknight game.)
ccajon
Shocky1;842552319 said:

clayk, as you know, we all live in a highly competitive global economy that favors the well educated...sure you could get a degree from the walnut creek school of bartending & have a great career but the odds are against you, you know that, right?

harvard>>cal>>>>>>>>>>>>>ucla>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>washington>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>oregon>>ged

real talk#

What is wrong with going to school to be a bartender? My daughter did that. She is happy, and makes very good money doing so in a top
Las Vegas Resort. I'd love to meet you at a game one day and have you try to tell me to my face what a loser either my GF was for going to
Oregon, or my daughter, for going to Bartender school. BTW, I asked around, Truck Stop managers make $100K a year PLUS free room and board.
Not a bad deal.
petalumabear
ccajon;842583605 said:

What is wrong with going to school to be a bartender? My daughter did that. She is happy, and makes very good money doing so in a top
Las Vegas Resort. I'd love to meet you at a game one day and have you try to tell me to my face what a loser either my GF was for going to
Oregon, or my daughter, for going to Bartender school. I'll be at several games this year, maybe I'm gonna ask some Cyberbears to point you out. LOL.

He's basically done that to me and I have a son who is an Oregon undergrad - Junior in the business school. I've asked him to modify his attacking posts and he won't. The narcissist in him won't allow it I guess. Congrats on the girl friend....
ccajon
really;842551493 said:

Recruiting top players is hard enough. The coaches put a lot more time and effort into it than you do; and I assume from your posts that you support their efforts and hope for their continued success. Try not to make the coaches job any harder than is has to be.

From family & friends with recruits in different sports, I've learned that (unlike almost all (sane) coaches) parents and prospective athletes do read school message boards, and negative comments have more influence than positive ones, with tone being as or more important than the substance. It follows logically that the more negative, antagonistic or inflammatory the comment, the greater potential it has for having a lasting influence. Also, I've learned that high school age athletes often consider unexpected factors in deciding on the "feel" they get from a school -- everything from coaches remembering their pet's name, to the candy they were offered by teammates -- in addition to more obvious ones like academics & team rankings.

Now I'm sure it's safe to assume that you don't know all the little things that just might seem important or offensive to all of the recruits out there and their families and friends. On the other hand, it seems safe that Cal coaches and admissions have covered all the big topics (don't worry, I'm sure they know Cal was rated the #1 public U) and highlighted all the positives they felt important (you do trust the coaches to do their jobs, right?). Passionate fans and alumni make Cal a great place to play and attend. I'm sure the coaches do a good job of positively conveying this to recruits as well.

So If you actually want great players to keep coming to Cal, why would you risk doing anything (even if it's just a minor risk) that could potentially negatively influence recruits? The coaches have done a great job putting together a hugely talented young team that is hopefully just another top recruit or two from becoming a powerhouse for a long time. They've identified the best players and the best fits to take Cal to the next level -- try not to do anything that might distract these stars from making the best decision possible based on where they will have the greatest chance to win and develop both as players and students.

Hopefully this implication is a little more clear....

+1
Really the nicest worded STFU I've ever read.
petalumabear
ccajon;842583626 said:

+1

Question is will it have a positive impact? Vegas odds show the sharps money says absolutely not. Tone deaf is still deaf.
really
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccajon
+1

petalumabear;842583774 said:

Question is will it have a positive impact? Vegas odds show the sharps money says absolutely not. Tone deaf is still deaf.

Reading comprehension -- it's FUNdamental!!... Tone deafness, well maybe it's just Mental ;-)
HoopDreams
I don't have a good feeling about this recruitment
As slimy as altmans sales pitch is with using her brother as bait, I think it will be hard to sign her at Cal
ClayK
I wouldn't call Altman's walk-on offer "slimy," as it's pretty much standard operating procedure to lure elite athletes with family help. Then again, standard operating procedure in the slimy mess that is the NCAA -- not just Louisville but all the fake classes at UNC -- so it probably qualifies in that category.

But I find it worse to hire someone just to get their kid, as has happened numerous times. Eddy Ionescu probably won't take a spot/job from anyone else, but when an assistant coach is hired just to get a pipeline to his offspring or club talent, that takes a job away from someone who is presumably more qualified as a coach.

But if Sabrina winds up at Oregon, my question would be why Cuonzo Martin wasn't willing to do the same thing for the women's program that Dana Altman was. (Or maybe he did and we just don't know ...)
GOCAL73
ClayK;842584046 said:

I wouldn't call Altman's walk-on offer "slimy," as it's pretty much standard operating procedure to lure elite athletes with family help. Then again, standard operating procedure in the slimy mess that is the NCAA -- not just Louisville but all the fake classes at UNC -- so it probably qualifies in that category.

But I find it worse to hire someone just to get their kid, as has happened numerous times. Eddy Ionescu probably won't take a spot/job from anyone else, but when an assistant coach is hired just to get a pipeline to his offspring or club talent, that takes a job away from someone who is presumably more qualified as a coach.

But if Sabrina winds up at Oregon, my question would be why Cuonzo Martin wasn't willing to do the same thing for the women's program that Dana Altman was. (Or maybe he did and we just don't know ...)

Just because something is "standard operating procedure" does not mean it is not slimy.

Regardless, not all schools are not slimy. It's convenient to think so because it helps rationalize things like this, but not everyone completely sells out all integrity in recruiting. I may bring the ire of Cal fans who become upset when we dump on UO (their GF is a quack, good friends are quacks, etc), but truth is the Ducks sold their soul and integrity to the Nike machine a long time ago. Altman and Oregon are slimy. If you want to believe otherwise, fine. All I can say is that I don't see Coach Martin making Eddy a preferred walk on at Cal. I'm not saying that if Eddy showed up at Cal and asked to try out for the team Cuonzo would deny him the opportunity. But, I don't see Cuonzo and Cal going after Eddy to get Sabrina. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

If Sabrina picks UO, then the Eddy deal worked for UO. UO won't care how it will look. They just don't. That's who they are. If Sabrina picks Cal, then we can feel extra good about it because we won her commitment fair and square without the aid of any slimy deals.
Shocky1

ClayK
Presumably Cal holds the moral high ground in this case, but looking at the football grade issues under Tedford, it's sort of like a grey kettle calling the pot black. Or maybe Oregon just did a better job of hiding it.

The NCAA is a horrid institution, run poorly, and hypocritical to the depths of what passes for its soul, but no one wants to change it because it is the slimy golden goose. I guess there are moral gradations within the NCAA, but it seems to me that anyone or any institution that takes advantage of the TV money, of the exploitation of teenagers and young adults, of the inherent contradiction of believing that a billion-dollar industry is somehow amateur, is complicit. So maybe the slime covering Cal isn't quite as deep or smelly as the slime covering every Power 5 school, but that may be a distinction without a difference.
petalumabear
And if Cal had given Eddy a walk on like the Ducks, what would you be saying now?
ClayK
petalumabear;842584387 said:

And if Cal had given Eddy a walk on like the Ducks, what would you be saying now?

Don't know if that was directed at me, but my response would be "That's a good business decision."
califan
I agree on the NCAA, unless they are smacked in the face like the Louisville tell all, they don't care one bit.
Shocky1
petalumabear;842584387 said:

i would be 100% done with both cal's mens & womens basketball teams, zero financial support on a go forward basis
Shocky1
ClayK;842584405 said:

Don't know if that was directed at me, but my response would be "That's a good business decision."

clayk, your ethics are corrupt

where did you say you graduated from college?
wifeisafurd
I'm afraid I'm with Clay on this one. And everyone does this to some degree.
Schroeder71
Shocky1- you're really getting irritating these days! I believe his alma-mater is the same as mine, UCSB. Every school and team recruits walk-ons...If Oregon's mens & womens bball coaches want to coordinate recruiting strategy to land both the #3 women's recruit in the nation and her walk-on brother, what's unethical about that...Now if they violate NCAA rules by exchanging Nike finances (jobs) or money, then I would totally agree with you. Otherwise-it sounds like good communication between the head coaches @ Oregon.

Is there any chance that Sabrina Ionescu will sign her LOI next Wednesday, 11/11? This is the first day of the official signing period. I would love to get this over with...I cannot imagine her brother getting the preferred walk-on position @ Oregon UNLESS she gave some indication that might help her make her decision. I hope that I'm wrong.

GO BEARS!
GOCAL73
wifeisafurd;842584465 said:

I'm afraid I'm with Clay on this one. And everyone does this to some degree.

If everyone does this then why is Eddy's only offer from Oregon? Why not Cal, OSU and Texas? Eddy is not bashful about making his offers public, so we would know if he was offered by anyone else.

I know of no sane person who thinks the NCAA is a great organization guided by the welfare of student-athletes. However, not all member schools emit the sleaze that Oregon does. In my opinion, few are in Oregon's league. They are the perfect example of the tail wagging the dog. You could write a weekly crime show with the consistent mess that goes on at Nike U.
GOCAL73
S71 - the difference is that Eddy was not being recruited by Oregon or anyone else in the Pac12 as a walk on until one of the Oregon WBB assistant coaches asked MBB to recruit Eddy. So, does Oregon really want Eddy? Has he received other recruiting interest from the Pac-12 since being "discovered" by Oregon? Or is this just another slimy Oregon recruiting tactic? What is lost in all this is how is this even fair to Sabrina? Nothing like putting undue pressure on her to go to Oregon so her brother can realize his dream of playing in the Pac-12 ball. Real ethical. How is that cool with you?
barabbas
Shocky1;842584450 said:

i would be 100% done with both cal's mens & womens basketball teams, zero financial support on a go forward basis

There are a large number of walk-ons that are tagged for "political" reasons which aren't any different than this; for example relative or close friend of donor or influential person in politics or other. This happens in every sport. If Cal had thought of this first and knew it would succeed, don't kid yourself what we would have done. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that we wanted to do this but his grades would have drawn too much attention to the tag...just speculation.
ayetee11
ClayK;842584046 said:

If Cuonzo did this for a Woman's Basketball player he should be fired on the spot.
Shocky1
oregon basketball update: former ducks basketball player/rapist brandon austin has filed a $7.5 million dollar against the university of oregon:
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/10/dismissed_basketball_player_br.html

criminal dana altman has continually lied to authorities that he did not know that austin had raped a providence female student when he recruited him to transfer to oregon...there is literally nobody on earth who believes that the head coach of the university of oregon & its vast resources would not know that a player he's luring to eugene raped a providence student

then austin got to eugene & repeatedly raped an oregon female student with 2 of his teammates

the oregon victim filed a lawsuit against altman which was settled out of court with a significant undisclosed settlement

if you don't think dana altman is a piece of ****, your just not playing attention (or you're a ducks fan)

clayk, would you agree that intentionally luring elite basketball playing 5 star rapists to the university of oregon also sounds like a "good business decision?"
Shocky1
Schroeder71;842584497 said:

Shocky1- you're really getting irritating these days! I believe his alma-mater is the same as mine, UCSB. Every school and team recruits walk-ons...If Oregon's mens & womens bball coaches want to coordinate recruiting strategy to land both the #3 women's recruit in the nation and her walk-on brother, what's unethical about that...Now if they violate NCAA rules by exchanging Nike finances (jobs) or money, then I would totally agree with you. Otherwise-it sounds like good communication between the head coaches @ Oregon.

Is there any chance that Sabrina Ionescu will sign her LOI next Wednesday, 11/11? This is the first day of the official signing period. I would love to get this over with...I cannot imagine her brother getting the preferred walk-on position @ Oregon UNLESS she gave some indication that might help her make her decision. I hope that I'm wrong.

GO BEARS!

s71, let me break it down for you

dana altman has offered eddy ionescu, a top 100 player in norcal & d2 level player, a preferred walk on spot with the university of oregon basketball program for next season...the ionescu family would have to pay for that season

altman has lied to eddy telling him that he's a great player & that after his freshman year they will reevaluate his situation & that he will likely receive a full scholarship at that time for the next 3 seasons...of course the implicit bribe in this underhanded arrangement is that eddy must deliver sabrina to eugene

that's not even remotely ethical or likely even legal in the eyes of the ncca but that don't matter to the powerful oregon athletic department which is loosely affiliated with a mediocre school with a 95% acceptance rate...let's be real here, clayk could even be accepted in eugene

got it?
CalFanatic
Shocky1;842584734 said:

s71, let me break it down for you

dana altman has offered eddy ionescu, a top 100 player in norcal & d2 level player, a preferred walk on spot with the university of oregon basketball program for next season...the ionescu family would have to pay for that season

altman has lied to eddy telling him that he's a great player & that after his freshman year they will reevaluate his situation & that he will likely receive a full scholarship at that time for the next 3 seasons...of course the implicit bribe in this underhanded arrangement is that eddy must deliver sabrina to eugene

that's not even remotely ethical or likely even legal in the eyes of the ncca but that don't matter to the powerful oregon athletic department which is loosely affiliated with a mediocre school with a 95% acceptance rate...let's be real here, clayk could even be accepted in eugene

got it?
I really wish you would stop posting here. Sabrina and Co.-shocky is not a representation of the Cal community. Congratulations, once again, to Eddy for the opportunity to play in the PAC 12. Congratulations to Sabrina for having the opportunity to choose between two PAC 12 schools. Hope you choose Cal!
wifeisafurd
Its a matter of degree only, and Oregon basketball is king of sleaze. But, if SI was down to Cal and Oregon, why would anyone else bother?

Cal is not in a position to cast stones. We recruited plenty of players with an eye towards relatives. The school across the Bay is the same way. Often it backfires. At least we don't hire coaches for that reason like some schools.
GOCAL73
wifeisafurd;842584755 said:

Its a matter of degree only, and Oregon basketball is king of sleaze. But, if SI was down to Cal and Oregon, why would anyone else bother?

Cal is not in a position to cast stones. We recruited plenty of players with an eye towards relatives. The school across the Bay is the same way. Often it backfires. At least we don't hire coaches for that reason like some schools.

Wife, I know you are connected at both Cal and Furd, so please be specific. Tell us which recruited walk on with no other PAC 12 offer has Cal or Furd recruited in order to secure the services of their Top 5 sibling? Maybe the facts you share can win the day and put this argument to rest. So far, those who say everyone does it have been long on accusations but short on evidence. Be a game changer. Dish the facts.
ClayK
Shocky, I don't mind responding to posters who respond rationally, but that doesn't seem to be your strong suit. Still, I think offering a scholarship to a convicted rapist (if indeed that happened) would be wrong. I don't think offering a walk-on opportunity to a relative of an elite player is unethical -- college sports are a big, big business, and Cal is right in the mix. Note the graduation rates just released today: Cal is last among Power 5 schools for football. That would be last, as the opposite from first.

Now, clearly some schools are worse than others in the slime category, but as long as Cal is last in Power 5 schools for graduation rates in the most important sport, I think a lower profile when it comes to casting aspersions might be in order.

And by the way, I also have a degree from Berkeley.
annarborbear
Has anyone actually seen Eddy Ionescu play? Is it credible that he could possibly become a PAC12 D1 player some day? Or is this move by the Oregon coaches simply that transparent?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.