sabrina ionescu

149,346 Views | 549 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearchamp;842672198 said:

People here say some don't want Sabrina: not my take. The only critical comments are assessments of her based on the championship game. Several comments early on that she is the "key" to Cal getting to the Final Four. Several people here don't see her as that impactful. She certainly can play and would be an asset, but some here don't see her as a game changer.

She'd be a game changer according to me. Don't misinterpret my prior comments, or let me clarify them. I just thought there would be a Steph Curry like performance, due to all the hype.
Very few players in the history of basketball are able to live up to the hype. Even many people are down on Lebron James because he hasn't won more championships. Expectations in life are best kept low, then give an upside surprise.
concordtom
dajo9;842672002 said:

i would recommend no family or friend of players read these boards. It is all about emotion. Hell hath no fury like a college sports fan scorned.

Folks here overwhelmingly love si's game and would love for her to come to cal.

[size=5]i would love for sabrina to come to cal!!![/size]
concordtom
ClayK;842671931 said:

I think a lot of the particularly irrational posts come after shot number two of Patron.

Or, perhaps more so, people just forget that they are talking about/to actual people, instead of typing their thoughts into a black box.
As many say, don't type anything you wouldn't say to someone's face, or have printed in the paper and assigned to you.
concordtom
concordtom;842672216 said:

[size=5]i would love for sabrina to come to cal!!![/size]

Allow me to repeat that, particularly given the last comment:

[size=7]i would love for sabrina to come to cal!!![/size]

(those two logos sure do look good together!)
longseeker
She would definitely make the rest of the team better--even with just her passing game. She also is a better outside shooter than most players on the team, if not all! Then you add her feisty style of play which should be an injection for her team mates. Oh, and even Curry once in a while will have (for him) an average shooting game.
HoopDreams

mbBear
bearchamp;842672198 said:

People here say some don't want Sabrina: not my take. The only critical comments are assessments of her based on the championship game. Several comments early on that she is the "key" to Cal getting to the Final Four. Several people here don't see her as that impactful. She certainly can play and would be an asset, but some here don't see her as a game changer.

There is a legitimate post/comment anywhere regarding "some don't want Sabrina?" That is a non-existent narrative.
bearchamp
LOL, Now half the fans here seem to not want her at CAL? Who in the hell is on the horizon now? A Hungarian point guard or another European out there? Is it because some see the hand writing on the wall that it is a .....
MoragaBear
Staff
You know very well there's not a single Cal fan that doesn't want her at Cal.

Give it a rest.
Shocky1
ClayK;842671931 said:

I think a lot of the particularly irrational posts come after shot number two of Patron.

i think a lot of the particularly self motivated posts come from aau/high school coaches that are more concerned about their future summer funding & personal income than the long term educational opportunities for their student athletes
GOLDEN
bearchamp;842671637 said:

Just watched Miramonte in the State finals. I don't think Sabrina is the answer to any of Cal's needs, based on this performance. She didn't show great skills, outside shooting or athleticism. She does see the floor. Doesn't look like she can guard D-I point guards.

Just pointing out what this poster said which I whole heartedly disgree with based on his/her analysis. I thought it was rather scathing.....

Does anyone know Bearchamp?
concordtom
MoragaBear;842672466 said:

You know very well there's not a single Cal fan that doesn't want her at Cal.

Give it a rest.

Just to show you speak the truth, would it be against any recruiting rules to establish a petition online show of support?
(no, I'm not going to do that, but wouldn't that be a funny new twist/turn in recruiting? Schools run dueling online petitions and see who gets more signatures?)
MoragaBear
Staff
That wouldn't help matters
bobbk
MVP McD game. Broke the all time McD scoring record.
pearbear
Staff
bobbk;842672610 said:

MVP McD game. Broke the all time McD scoring record.

7 threes. Sounds like that might fill a need for Cal. LOL.
MoragaBear
Staff
pearbear;842672614 said:

7 threes. Sounds like that might fill a need for Cal. LOL.

Ha yeah. Imagine that?
concordtom
[SIZE=3]Hey, look what Sabrina has just served up some of us!
It's delicious!
[/SIZE]

concordtom
A talented Matador toys with its prey, making it look like a fool, all the while hiding the "espada" until the fateful moment.

OL !!!

HoopDreams
a performance for the ages
congrates Sabrina!

Shocky1
sabrina, congrats on your 25 point mcdonalds mvp performance

don't tell nobody that stuff can kill you

gamer#
mbBear
bearchamp;842672461 said:

LOL, Now half the fans here seem to not want her at CAL? Who in the hell is on the horizon now? A Hungarian point guard or another European out there? Is it because some see the hand writing on the wall that it is a .....

If you have any interest in Cal women's hoops, you want her at Cal. There is no one saying this who isn't trolling.
concordtom
MoragaBear;842672540 said:

That wouldn't help matters

Of course!
But can we have a Parade of Signs down Moraga Way if she does sign with Cal?
Imagine that, MB, an McD MVP from our little MHS!
I love it!

Heck, who care where she goes, that stands on it's own. Are we meeting (does the parade start) at Nations? Lorde's?

I'm watching the dvr of the game right now. Fun stuff.
concordtom
concordtom;842672755 said:

I'm watching the dvr of the game right now. Fun stuff.

She diagrammed the play with 4.8 secs left in regulation, not the coach.
Then she scored the first 8 in OT to turn the script from East and Ramirez to West and Ionescu.
That's what's called a gamer!

Tears for my matadors! :p
concordtom
Sabrina was asked what her announcement timetable was and said in response that she had Spring Break this next week, and then the Jordan Brand Classic after that, so maybe during spring break or after, she said. That made me feel it was right around the corner, but then the interviewer said, "So April..." to which she added "or May, April/May".

The country's premier prep basketball event, Jordan Brand Classic, will return to Barclays Center on Friday, April 15. This event will feature four games throughout the day showcasing all of [INDENT]the top high school talent.

Headlining the Jordan Brand Classic is the Boys All-American Game, with tip-off slated for 8:00PM. This game serves as an annual showcase for the best talent at the high school level.

The other games played will be the Boys International Game at 1:30PM, the Girls All-American Game at 3:30PM and the Boys Regional Game at 5:30PM.

[/INDENT]
roqmoq
concordtom;842672777 said:

She diagrammed the play with 4.8 secs left in regulation, not the coach.
Then she scored the first 8 in OT to turn the script from East and Ramirez to West and Ionescu.
That's what's called a gamer!

Tears for my matadors! :p

Wouldn't hurt to have another strategist on the bench.
OBear073akaSMFan
roqmoq;842672798 said:

Wouldn't hurt to have another strategist on the bench.

...or hire Kelly Sopak before SI announces.
socaliganbear
Goff recruiting Sabrina.
HoopDreams
as expected, OSU had no chance vs UConn
WBB NCAA is pretty boring because UConn steam rolls every team they face year after year

although OSU had a great season, it seems like their two best players and 6th player graduate
seems like they will really drop down in the pac

Sabrina will instantly elevate any team she goes to into a contender, but seems like Cal is the best fit for her considering our very young and talented roster
really
HoopDreams;842673670 said:

as expected, OSU had no chance vs UConn
WBB NCAA is pretty boring because UConn steam rolls every team they face year after year

although OSU had a great season, it seems like their two best players and 6th player graduate
seems like they will really drop down in the pac

Sabrina will instantly elevate any team she goes to into a contender, but seems like Cal is the best fit for her considering our very young and talented roster

The best post that I read on UConn's message board (from Kat's link in a different thread) was one suggesting that by coming to Cal, Sabrina could help solve the East Coast bias problem in WBb:

"Purely for entertainment value, I want Ionescu to choose Cal. I would make it a point to stay up late to watch her and Anigwe play together."
wifeisafurd
really;842673676 said:

The best post that I read on UConn's message board (from Kat's link in a different thread) was one suggesting that by coming to Cal, Sabrina could help solve the East Coast bias problem in WBb:

"Purely for entertainment value, I want Ionescu to choose Cal. I would make it a point to stay up late to watch her and Anigwe play together."

Please tell me Stewart is graduating soon. Its like everyone is playing JV when she enters the game.
concordtom
I heard SI interviewed after the McD game and thought I heard her indicate that she already knows where she's going, just doesn't want to say yet. I also understand that she doesn't like the attention her recruitment has put upon her.
So, it seems to be that if her choice was Cal, shed get nothing but positive attention within the MhS community, as we are Berkeley centric. Thus, why not announce now?
However, if it we one of the two OR schools, she may get some negative ribbing. Thus, maybe she's avoiding that and why she's not yet announced.
Anyone care to disagree?
GOLDEN
concordtom;842674947 said:

I heard SI interviewed after the McD game and thought I heard her indicate that she already knows where she's going, just doesn't want to say yet. I also understand that she doesn't like the attention her recruitment has put upon her.
So, it seems to be that if her choice was Cal, shed get nothing but positive attention within the MhS community, as we are Berkeley centric. Thus, why not announce now?
However, if it we one of the two OR schools, she may get some negative ribbing. Thus, maybe she's avoiding that and why she's not yet announced.
Anyone care to disagree?

Sadly, Tom that makes too much sense being a local community star. She has decided already and that is what I picked up on too.

Could she announce right after that game? To go into May would be pointless.

Does Oregon State or Oregon have a message board for womens basketball? What is the vibes over there? I never found one besides the schools general websites.
orindabear74
concordtom;842674947 said:

Anyone care to disagree?

There's no denying that the entire Lamorinda area is Bear Territory, yet I don't believe that Sabrina would get much flack for not choosing the #1 Public University in the World. Also, Sabrina does not live in Orinda. However, all bets would be off if Sabrina chose Stanfurd.
R90
orindabear74;842675003 said:

There's no denying that the entire Lamorinda area is Bear Territory, yet I don't believe that Sabrina would get much flack for not choosing the #1 Public University in the World. Also, Sabrina does not live in Orinda. However, all bets would be off if Sabrina chose Stanfurd.

I think anyone who means anything significant to Sabrina will respect her eventual choice. It's more likely to me that she's doing her best to make sure she doesn't decide too early and then regret that decision.

In reality, she's a smart young woman who will be happy and successful wherever she goes. We'll all just be happier if she chooses Cal.
ClayK
Interesting ... I just interviewed her for MaxPreps, and though as an individual, I would never ask her, I did as a reporter. Her direct quote "When I come to a conclusion, I'll come to a conclusion."

From the tenor of my conversation with her, she had not made up her mind, though I didn't press her about specific schools, just about the process. From what I know of her, she's not going to be influenced too much from here on out by what people say, but also from what I know of her, if she had made a decision, she would have let people know.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.