sabrina ionescu

149,381 Views | 549 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842600249 said:

don't be a dumb azz#

sabrina, according to this salary survey, it kinda looks like oregon grads make less money than geds working at the 7/11 in walnut creek

just do it#

ClayK
Note that the WNBA salary would be less than 50% of the overall income for women's professional basketball players, who make more money in Europe. How many 24-year-olds would be making $150,000 with a Cal degree?

And also note that coaching after a playing career is also a fairly lucrative profession, and the career track is a lot clearer than for a communications or sociology major with a Cal degree.
Shocky1
ClayK;842600875 said:

Note that the WNBA salary would be less than 50% of the overall income for women's professional basketball players, who make more money in Europe. How many 24-year-olds would be making $150,000 with a Cal degree?

And also note that coaching after a playing career is also a fairly lucrative profession, and the career track is a lot clearer than for a communications or sociology major with a Cal degree.

clayk, i was making $150k+ a year as a 24 year old with a cal haas biz degree
CalWBBFan
Shocky1;842600898 said:

clayk, i was making $150k+ a year as a 24 year old with a cal haas biz degree

Not everyone is motivated by money. Attending college is about much more than vocational training. Some folks will graduate and choose to do social work or teach....they won't be making 150k. Where would we be without them? I'm sure some Cal grads have chosen to join the Peace Corps or become artists, following what is their passion.

I would hope that whatever all these student athletes can see their college/university experience as more than simply basketball. Hopefully, wherever they go, they'll learn to appreciate critical thinking, the love of learning, and gain a broader view of the world around them. It terms of finances, those who do get full ride scholarships have the luxury of not making choices around having to pay back undergraduate student loans.

At any rate I wish Sabrina the best and hope she, and all the other student-athletes out there, find the best fit (and future) for them. Happy Thanksgiving! :cheer
Shocky1
CalWBBFan;842600912 said:

Not everyone is motivated by money. Attending college is about much more than vocational training. Some folks will graduate and choose to do social work or teach....they won't be making 150k. Where would we be without them? I'm sure some Cal grads have chosen to join the Peace Corps or become artists, following what is their passion.

I would hope that whatever all these student athletes can see their college/university experience as more than simply basketball. Hopefully, wherever they go, they'll learn to appreciate critical thinking, the love of learning, and gain a broader view of the world around them. It terms of finances, those who do get full ride scholarships have the luxury of not making choices around having to pay back undergraduate student loans.

At any rate I wish Sabrina the best and hope she, and all the other student-athletes out there, find the best fit (and future) for them. Happy Thanksgiving! :cheer

100% agreed, the college experience should be an opportunity to become mentally limiitless, to expand one's horizons & then to relentlessly pursue one's passions

we need new dreamers...the university of california, berkeley has firmly imprinted in the fabric of its dna a social consciousness of activism & responsibility to help those less fortunate

sabrina, what's your quest in life?

[video=youtube;-8aXwHl3OGA][/video]

namastae#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842591620 said:

beauty & the beast#

"i have come to the pinnacle of success in business
in the eyes of others my life has been the symbol of success
however, apart from work, i have little joy...finally, my wealth is simply a fact to which i am accustomed
at this time, lying on the hospital bed and remembering all my life, i realize that all the accolades and riches of which i was once so proud, have become insignificant with my imminent death
in the dark, when i look at green lights of the equipment for artificial respiration and feel the buzz of their mechanical sounds, i can feel the breath of my approaching death looming over me
only now do i understand that once you accumulate enough money for the rest of your life, you have to pursue objectives that are not related to wealth
it should be something more important
for example, stories of love, art, dreams of my childhood
no, stop pursuing wealth, it can only a person into a twisted being, just like me
god has made us one way, we can feel the love in the heart of each of us, and not illusions built by fame or money like i made in my life, i cannot take them with me
i can only take with me the memories that were strenghtened by love
this is the true wealth that will follow you, will accompany you, he will give strength and light to go ahead
love can travel thousands of miles and so life has no limits
move to where you want to go, strive to reach the goals you want to achieve, everything is in your heart and in your hands"

-steve jobs on his deathbed

wheels up, las vegas baby#
puget sound cal fan
I guess if Eddy's OK with it.....
jaymel911
How does Sabrina fit in with Cal? She is a PG and I think AT has the position on lockdown for the next four years.
annarborbear
Having multiple ball-handlers and shooters on the floor is a great advantage for any team. It would be a combination of Ionescu and Thomas sharing the ball-handling, just like Clarendon and Boyd did , but with better shooting skills among the two. Plenty of scoring and passing opportunities for both.
jaymel911
Better for the team or better for the individual? These decisions generally come down to what benefits the individual. I would imagine she would like to take over the role that Sydney Weise plays at OSU.

Cal could definitely use her as a 2guard with ball handling skills just not certain that would be appealing to her. If she has the BB IQ that everyone writes that she has I am sure she can see the writing on the wall at Cal, 2 guard and spot up shooter.
OBear073akaSMFan
jaymel911;842601823 said:

If she has the BB IQ that everyone writes that she has I am sure she can see the writing on the wall at Cal, 2 guard and spot up shooter.

She would definitely have a better IQ than our current 2 guard, especially if she doesn't learn to take advantage of her 6-2 height.
annarborbear
jaymel911;842601823 said:

Better for the team or better for the individual? These decisions generally come down to what benefits the individual. I would imagine she would like to take over the role that Sydney Weise plays at OSU.

Cal could definitely use her as a 2guard with ball handling skills just not certain that would be appealing to her. If she has the BB IQ that everyone writes that she has I am sure she can see the writing on the wall at Cal, 2 guard and spot up shooter.

Under that two-guard system, Cal went to a Final Four and both Layshia and Brittany ended up being first round WNBA draft picks. Kind of hard to argue with that, although you do seem determined to do so.
Shocky1
jaymel signed up for this board in september of 2015 & is associated with the oregon state basketball program
CoffeeBear
annarborbear;842601909 said:

Under that two-guard system, Cal went to a Final Four and both Layshia and Brittany ended up being first round WNBA draft picks. Kind of hard to argue with that, although you do seem determined to do so.

Word!
jaymel911
I am sure LG is not selling Ionescue on being part of a two pg platoon system! I get the fascination with it from the Cal side, it works well but I am certain OSU is offering to hand her the keys to the lead guard role from day one. That was the only point I was making.

When I joined and where my degree is from does not have anything to with valid recruiting points.
annarborbear
No problem. Corvallis is really nice this time of year, if you are a vampire and don't like sunshine.
jaymel911
You mean there is sunshine in the winter? The pac 12 championship trophy shines enough light on the whole town to make up for a little cloud cover.
annarborbear
Make some noise in the NCAA tournament, for once, and then you can come back and talk.
really
jaymel911;842602267 said:

I am sure LG is not selling Ionescue on being part of a two pg platoon system! I get the fascination with it from the Cal side, it works well but I am certain OSU is offering to hand her the keys to the lead guard role from day one. That was the only point I was making.

When I joined and where my degree is from does not have anything to with valid recruiting points.

Not sure they're valid.... Wiese is only a junior, so Ionescu would have to sit behind her for a year before she would be able to assume her role.

And by the time Wiese leaves, and the keys are ready to be turned over, all 5 of the Beavers best players (and they're not very deep as it is) will be gone -- so the role won't be nearly as much fun as it was for Wiese, and the chance to do anything with that role on the national stage will be much less.

Of course, the Beavers also signed PG recruit Mikayla Pivec from the class of 2016, who is at least as highly rated as Asha Thomas -- so unless you've heard that Pivec was sold on not playing PG, I'm not sure you can assume they'd hand the keys to Ionescu.
jaymel911
annarborbear;842602272 said:

Make some noise in the NCAA tournament, for once, and then you can come back and talk.

Key word is once!
jaymel911
Pivec played wing this summer with ECBA with Tea Adams at point. Ionescue , Tudor, Pivec and Thorpay make up a national stage type recruiting class.

On a different note, we are hearing there may be an outside school such as a Baylor joining the mix. This could change the landscape really quick.
Shocky1
jaymel911;842602267 said:

jaymel, with a 95% acceptance rate at oregon state, would you please shed some light re: the 5% that are not accepted?
jaymel911
They probably go to Oregon!
Shocky, name one player that Cal WBB was not able to get into the school due to academics? You love to throw around admin rates but the reality is Cal has multiple players on the current roster of NINE that were in academic jeopardy in High School that were all admitted.
Shocky1
jaymel911;842602285 said:

They probably go to Oregon!
Shocky, name one player that Cal WBB was not able to get into the school due to academics? You love to throw around admin rates but the reality is Cal has multiple players on the current roster of NINE that were in academic jeopardy in High School that were all admitted.

Shocky1;842483508 said:

who are these guys on the california golden bears basketball team?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price (currently playing w/portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
jeff powers*-3.6 gpa@delasalle
ricky kreklow*-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
david kravish*-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
christian behrens*-3.5 gpa@tahoma
jabari bird-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
kingsley okoroh-3.0+ gpa@westwind prep/findlay prep
stephen domingo-3.4 gpa@st ignatius
brandon chauca-3.85 gpa@shannon forest christian school
cole welle-4.37 gpa@aptos
nick hamilton-4.2 gpa@westchester
brenden glapion-4.1 gpa@washington
dwight tarwater*-3.9 gpa@webb school
xavier valdes-4.0 gpa@woodlands
ivan rabb-3.15 gpa@bishop o'dowd
jaylen brown-3.1 gpa@wheeler
nick kerr-3.9 gpa@torrey pines
roman davis-3.5 gpa@winward
tyson jolly-3.1 gpa@putnam city west

*will graduate/graduated from cal joining 2012 grads bak bak, brandon smith & robert thurman

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract..patrick christopher, justin cobbs & richard solomon all have around one remaining semester of schoolwork necessary to earn their cal degrees...as the wise marco harris once told me, men take care of their business

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with stanford and the ivy leagues most noteably harvard

the above is the MOST IMPORTANT stat sheet in cal basketball

this is the difference between basketball factories that use up & then discard their workers (leaving them unemployable on the streets) in today's highly competitive global economy and legitimate collegiate institutions of higher learning with an academic purpose...if you go to an academically mediocre school like kentucky or arizona & get injured you are ******

academic ambition is a beautiful thing, it will open doors in business after your basketball days are over & help you meet the girl of your dreams (and you're not thinking about it now but it will also help you raise intellectually curious children someday)...you can be limitless mentally

jaymel, the above is an excerpt from my cal's monster class thread on the men's basketball board

coach gottlieb's women's team has the exact same recruiting standards as the men's team

sabrina ionescu has a 3.5 gpa at the academically rigorous miramonte high school, she is a strong true student athlete fit at the #1 public (#3 overall) university in the world

your comment that multiple cal players were academically in trouble in high school is 100% fabricated, why don't you transparently list these players?

oregon state=harvard of the northwest
ClayK
This is embarrassing, really. Every Power 5 school allows borderline admissions for sports, and Cal had one of the worst graduation rates of any football program in the country.

Cal is a great school, with great academics. Oregon State is a good school, and any motivated student can get a superior education there.

People are successful from both places, and people fail from both places -- it's pretty much up to the individual to maximize (or minimize) her experience.

This relates to athletics for recruiting purposes, of course, but in most cases, elite athletes are much more concerned with their athletic experience than academic experience, so tossing around insults does nothing but make the tosser and the school look bad.

On the other hand, pointing out who graduates and who's coming in is much more relevant, and much less like mindless trolling ...
MoragaBear
Staff
Asia plays off the ball, too.

I'm quite sure they've articulated the fit quite clearly.
califan
jaymel911;842602279 said:

Pivec played wing this summer with ECBA with Tea Adams at point. Ionescue , Tudor, Pivec and Thorpay make up a national stage type recruiting class.

On a different note, we are hearing there may be an outside school such as a Baylor joining the mix. This could change the landscape really quick.

OK I thought you were on to something but Thropay (note the spelling) really C'moooon.
Shocky1
[video=youtube;g0AOe9QplLI][/video]

******* guts#
ClayK
Time to get depressed. Had a conversation with someone who should know, and the person said Sabrina is very unlikely to go to Cal. I hope they're wrong.
GOCAL73
ClayK;842606952 said:

Time to get depressed. Had a conversation with someone who should know, and the person said Sabrina is very unlikely to go to Cal. I hope they're wrong.

Any particular reason(s) for not wanting Cal?
wifeisafurd
barabbas;842584533 said:

There are a large number of walk-ons that are tagged for "political" reasons which aren't any different than this; for example relative or close friend of donor or influential person in politics or other. This happens in every sport. If Cal had thought of this first and knew it would succeed, don't kid yourself what we would have done. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that we wanted to do this but his grades would have drawn too much attention to the tag...just speculation.

And some time it works. Look at who the Furd former walk-on placekicker's father is. Well that walk-on, who no one thought would ever play, just beat Notre Dame.
kat0189
ClayK;842606952 said:

Unfortunately, I believe ClayK's intel.

Huge blow.

But I'm about ready to say let's move on.

This definitely dims the forecast for our program for the next couple years. I think the next "franchise player" we have a realistic shot at is not until 2018 with Aquira DeCosta. But if we're patient and lucky, we could very well have a huge haul then.
Schroeder71
I hope that Ionescu suprises us in a positive way. I just think that the way HC Gottlieb recruits MUST change. She recruits a smallish group of candidates as if she's UCONN. The Bears under coach G have lost desired recruits head-to-head to UCLA, Washington, USC, Stanford & now possibly Oregon. She needs to expand her pool of recruits & offer more scholarships, attempting to build a roster with 13-14 quality players like 90% of the other schools. She holds out for Northern Cal preps for two-thirds of her recruit base (three from St Marys-Berkeley, two from BOD & one from St Marys-Stockton (Manteca)). She has not proven capable of consistently bringing in major transfusions of Southern California talent. Joanne Boyle did succeed in this area which is HUGE. Fortunately, she does land the unpredictable out of state recruit like Kristine Anigwe to keep the team competitive. The class of 2016 is now down to Sabrina Ionescu from Miramonte, #7 norcal recruit. I'll keep my fingers crossed. GO BEARS!
GATC
Schroeder71;842607251 said:

I hope that Ionescu suprises us in a positive way. I just think that the way HC Gottlieb recruits MUST change. She recruits a smallish group of candidates as if she's UCONN. The Bears under coach G have lost desired recruits head-to-head to UCLA, Washington, USC, Stanford & now possibly Oregon. She needs to expand her pool of recruits & offer more scholarships, attempting to build a roster with 13-14 quality players like 90% of the other schools. She holds out for Northern Cal preps for two-thirds of her recruit base (three from St Marys-Berkeley, two from BOD & one from St Marys-Stockton (Manteca)). She has not proven capable of consistently bringing in major transfusions of Southern California talent. Joanne Boyle did succeed in this area which is HUGE. Fortunately, she does land the unpredictable out of state recruit like Kristine Anigwe to keep the team competitive. The class of 2016 is now down to Sabrina Ionescu from Miramonte, #7 norcal recruit. I'll keep my fingers crossed. GO BEARS!

I hope Sabrina surprises us too. LG has done a great job of recruiting and the class balance has caused some challenges. We will have about the right number next year if Breanna can make it back and we don't get Sabrina. And we will only graduate 2 after that so we can't recruit too many.
OBear073akaSMFan
kat0189;842607167 said:

Unfortunately, I believe ClayK's intel.

Ditto. I am not SHOCKLY over this. If it was Oregon, OSU, and CAL, Sabrina has had all the facts she needed to decide one over the other in her 4 years visiting all of the schools multiple times. My guess there might be another team in play in April, when she decide.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.