sabrina ionescu

149,368 Views | 549 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842545029 said:

that's an impossible scenario

if berkeley students were in eugene or corvallis, oregon & oregon state wouldn't be academically mediocre schools with 95%+ acceptance rates

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

Don't mistake teaching with research prominence or work demands placed on students. Both in business and in law practice, the top students we recruited at most schools would be the top students at other schools, and in the job environment did just as well. With schools like Harvard and some other Ivies (e.g., Wharton), Michigan, Cal and Furd, admittedly you can recruit deeper into the class. Cal was great for me, but you have to like what Cal offers, such as a urban environment, challenging classes, etc. A lot of other schools offer good teachers, smaller classes, different curriculum, different environment, and other perceived "advantages" to students that Cal does not. We lost one WBB recruit a couple years ago because Cal doesn't have a nursing program (because Cal doesn't have a medical school). I like the concept that Cal is not for everyone. If you listen to our better coaches (e.g, Jack Clark, Des, both swim coaches, etc.) they talk endlessly about trying to find the right fit in terms of who they recruit. From everything I have heard about Sabrina, she is a great fit for Cal, and thus she is priority one. But please don't assume other schools put out inferior people.
stu
ClayK;842545025 said:

Good points ... but what if the students had been the same ones as the ones at Berkeley? How would that have changed the experience?

I expect the presence of better students would have elevated the programs to match. I'm a teacher, I teach each class at the highest level I can get away with. But, whether due to the school or the students, Cal >> Oregon academically.

BTW I think graduate programs (not yet relevant to Sabrina) also depend on researchers, facilities, and funding which are more characteristics of the institution than of the student body.
Shocky1
kelly grave finished his 1st season as the oregon head coach with a 13-17 overall record including 12 losses in the highly competitive pac 12

his top scorer jillian alleyne averaged 18.4 ppg & an astounding 15.2 rpg is a senior this season & will not be around in 2016...the #2 scorer & #1 assist player lexi petersen is also a senior this season

the ducks are projected to finish near the bottom of the pac 12 this season...the ducks will likely lose 20+ games in 2016 but maybe lose only 15 games if sabrina becomes a duck during which she will be constantly double & perhaps even triple teamed on a regular basis

sabrina is the necessary final piece for cal to compete for a national championship as her committing to the bears would trigger additional prospects to also sign with cal
85 Fly
Shocky thanks for educating me, you broke it down!:gobears:
petalumabear
Shocky1;842545029 said:

that's an impossible scenario

if berkeley students were in eugene or corvallis, oregon & oregon state wouldn't be academically mediocre schools with 95%+ acceptance rates

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

Shocky - we all know you love Cal as does everyone else here... but when you persist in throwing numbers out as if they are FACTS, when in fact, they are only a product of your fertile imagination, you make yourself look like a fool.

2014 statistics...
Oregon had a 73% acceptance rate and a 22% admission rate..
Oregon state had a 8+% acceptance rate and a 27% admission rate..

Both schools turn out many fine grads who don't lower themselves to your level of spreading outright lies. I am continually disappointed that you are unable to find actual information - based on factual data and information - rather than continuing to pump out BS...

Clean up your act man you are embarrassing.
annarborbear
Shocky1;842545519 said:

kelly grave finished his 1st season as the oregon head coach with a 13-17 overall record including 12 losses in the highly competitive pac 12

his top scorer jillian alleyne averaged 18.4 ppg & an astounding 15.2 rpg is a senior this season & will not be around in 2016...the #2 scorer & #1 assist player lexi petersen is also a senior this season

the ducks are projected to finish near the bottom of the pac 12 this season...the ducks will likely lose 20+ games in 2016 but maybe lose only 15 games if sabrina becomes a duck during which she will be constantly double & perhaps even triple teamed on a regular basis

sabrina is the necessary final piece for cal to compete for a national championship as her committing to the bears would trigger additional prospects to also sign with cal

Unfortunately, you have missed some more recent information. Oregon has one five star and one four star coming in this year, and two five stars and two four stars next year. They are bringing in a number of really good big people. So Ionescu would be surrounded by quite a lot of talent, as well as excellent coaching, if she does decide to go to Eugene. However, hopefully, our own combination of academics, elite players whom she already knows, and coaches that she likes on our own staff will still prevail.
CalFanatic
annarborbear;842545967 said:

Unfortunately, you have missed some more recent information. Oregon has one five star and one four star coming in this year, and two five stars and two four stars next year. They are bringing in a number of really good big people. So Ionescu would be surrounded by quite a lot of talent, as well as excellent coaching, if she does decide to go to Eugene. However, hopefully, our own combination of academics, elite players whom she already knows, and coaches that she likes on our own staff will still prevail.

Exactly. Oregon (so far) has the top Pac 2016 class. If Coach G lands Ionescu + a Chou, Carrington, or Brown... that changes.
OBear073akaSMFan
petalumabear;842545961 said:

Shocky - we all know you love Cal as does everyone else here... but when you persist in throwing numbers out as if they are FACTS, when in fact, they are only a product of your fertile imagination, you make yourself look like a fool.

2014 statistics...

Both schools turn out many fine grads who don't lower themselves to your level of spreading outright lies. I am continually disappointed that you are unable to find actual information - based on factual data and information - rather than continuing to pump out BS...

:beer:
Shocky1
petalumabear;842545961 said:

2014 statistics...

pb, i get it, your son went to school in eugene & you don't like my comments re: the university of oregon

ok, according to 2014 stats oregon had a 75% acceptance rate & oregon state had a 78% acceptance rate, that's not very selective...to be honest with you i've never of anybody ever getting denied admission to either school, have you?
Shocky1
sabrina, with your senior season at miramonte high school fast approaching, now might be a good time to check out the academic rankings of the colleges you are considering, get all the facts

so check out the link below for the schools on your list, ok?

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings?int=9cf408

it should be pointed out that contra costa school of beauty & bartending is ranked above both the university of oregon & oregon state

don't be a dumb azz#
jaymel911
Shocky1;842546160 said:

sabrina, with your senior season at miramonte high school fast approaching, now might be a good time to check out the academic rankings of the colleges you are considering, get all the facts

so check out the link below for the schools on your list, ok?

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings?int=9cf408

it should be pointed out that contra costa school of beauty & bartending is ranked above both the university of oregon & oregon state

don't be a dumb azz#

It would be great to land Ionescu but it seems to me that Cal passing, not getting or failing to recruit several of Sabrina's teammates over the past few years might come back and haunt the program. I read somewhere she was leaving one visit open for an unnamed school.
Shocky1
jaymel911;842546166 said:

It would be great to land Ionescu but it seems to me that Cal passing, not getting or failing to recruit several of Sabrina's teammates over the past few years might come back and haunt the program. I read somewhere she was leaving one visit open for an unnamed school.

really, care to share the names of these overlooked teammates?
jaymel911
Kelli Hayes UCLA, Mariya Moore Louisville, Natalie Romeo Nebraska, Minyon Moore USC, Mallory McGwire Oregon, Valerie Higgins USC & Katharine Tudor Oregon State.
Shocky1
jaymel911;842546340 said:

Kelli Hayes UCLA, Mariya Moore Louisville, Natalie Romeo Nebraska, Minyon Moore USC, Mallory McGwire Oregon, Valerie Higgins USC & Katharine Tudor Oregon State.

which of these players had the necessary gpa/academic profiles to be accepted by admissions at cal?

did any of these players receive actionable offers from stanford?
califan
I do believe Higgins was recruited and the problem with the other players is that we recruited others who had more versatile skills at the time. You cannot make blanket statements unless you know all the ins and outs of every recruit. Some players have other issues that don't fit in with your team. I would guess that Odom was that type of player as I heard every PAC team backed off of her, so there could be stuff that is just not compatible.
petalumabear
Shocky1;842546158 said:

pb, i get it, your son went to school in eugene & you don't like my comments re: the university of oregon

ok, according to 2014 stats oregon had a 75% acceptance rate & oregon state had a 78% acceptance rate, that's not very selective...to be honest with you i've never of anybody ever getting denied admission to either school, have you?

I'll correct you again....

my son goes to Oregon and is not going to work at a truck stop as you always suggest for others who matriculate there..
if 75% +/- were accepted what does that tell you about who didn't get in?
My point, which you conveniently ignore everytime this comes up, is that you can do better than to take shots like this...
But you choose not to.... it only serves to bring you down. And makes other Cal alums look bad...

YOU CAN DO BETTER>
patsweetpat
Shocky1;842546379 said:

which of these players had the necessary gpa/academic profiles to be accepted by admissions at cal?

Kelli Hayes had the necessary gpa/academic profile to be accepted by admissions at UCLA, so I'm pretty sure that she had the necessary gpa/academic profile to be accepted by admissions at Cal. It may or may not be true that Cal simply passed on Kelli, or that Cal never recruited her in the first place, or that Cal really did want Kelli but she preferred to go elsewhere, or something else entirely… I don't personally know, and the answer isn't very important to me. But if Kelli Hayes could get through UCLA's admissions, I find it very unlikely that she couldn't also get through Cal's.
CalWBBFan
I don't think it's particularly worthwhile to denigrate one program over another. Each of the schools mentioned offers a different experience/environment. It's up to the individual players (with perhaps a bit of help from not too overbearing parents) to determine which is the best fit. We should be pleased that the entire Pac12 appears (finally) to be a blossoming conference in women's basketball. That fact bodes well for Cal and its Pac12 rivals. Though sometimes it's hard to "root for" our competition, the fact is that having strong programs at UCLA and Oregon is GOOD for Cal women's basketball.
patsweetpat
CalWBBFan;842546537 said:

I don't think it's particularly worthwhile to denigrate one program over another. Each of the schools mentioned offers a different experience/environment. It's up to the individual players (with perhaps a bit of help from not too overbearing parents) to determine which is the best fit. We should be pleased that the entire Pac12 appears (finally) to be a blossoming conference in women's basketball. That fact bodes well for Cal and its Pac12 rivals. Though sometimes it's hard to "root for" our competition, the fact is that having strong programs at UCLA and Oregon is GOOD for Cal women's basketball.

I feel the exact same way. Strong Cal WBB is good for Pac-12 WBB, which is good for UCLA WBB. In my opinion.
Shocky1
patsweetpat;842546490 said:

Kelli Hayes had the necessary gpa/academic profile to be accepted by admissions at UCLA, so I'm pretty sure that she had the necessary gpa/academic profile to be accepted by admissions at Cal. It may or may not be true that Cal simply passed on Kelli, or that Cal never recruited her in the first place, or that Cal really did want Kelli but she preferred to go elsewhere, or something else entirely… I don't personally know, and the answer isn't very important to me. But if Kelli Hayes could get through UCLA's admissions, I find it very unlikely that she couldn't also get through Cal's.

kelli hayes was on cal's radar (her boyfriend at the time was jabari bird) & had the necessary academic credentials to become a bear but the staff made the decision to only offer an actionable offer to mcdonalds all american mikayla cowling who averaged 10 ppg in her 1st year vs the 2.4 ppg by hayes

hayes has skills but lacks the physicality/defensive intensity required in coach gottlieb's up tempo system
jaymel911
My point is still valid, I think the lack of recruitment of Ionescu's teammates over the last three years might come back and haunt Cal.
Shocky1
jaymel911;842546693 said:

My point is still valid, I think the lack of recruitment of Ionescu's teammates over the last three years might come back and haunt Cal.

understood some adults (coaches & parents) are obviously disappointed by local club players have not been prioritized by cal for academic & athletic reasons

my take is that sabrina, like bishop o'dowd's ivan rabb, has a different collegiate decision agenda than those adults
patsweetpat
Shocky1;842546670 said:

kelli hayes was on cal's radar (her boyfriend at the time was jabari bird) & had the necessary academic credentials to become a bear but the staff made the decision to only offer an actionable offer to mcdonalds all american mikayla cowling who averaged 10 ppg in her 1st year vs the 2.4 ppg by hayes

hayes has skills but lacks the physicality/defensive intensity required in coach gottlieb's up tempo system

Cowling is a straight baller. I love Kelli, and am glad she's a Bruin, but I could certainly never fault the Cal coaches for going all-in on Cowling. You've got a good one.
GOCAL73
Having talked with Coach G at a WBB event before the 2014 class signed, she was candid about her recruiting priorities. Cowling had already committed. Canada had already announced for ucla. At that point, Coach G was all in on Green. I asked her about Hayes and Moore. I loved watching Moore play in HS, but Coach G was clear that Mariya was not a priority. Same with Hayes. Coach G has a very clear vision of the type of player she wants in her program. It does not include every AAU and HS star out there. In fact, her very selective recruiting approach has worked well. I think the one player she missed on that really hurt was Canada. Other than that she gotten most of the players she really wanted.

As for Sabrina, I think she is smart enough to know that Cal offers a unique and valuable opportunity. After all, McGwire is at Oregon and Tudor is at OSU, so it's not like her friends are all going to the same school anyway. In fact, with Anigwe going to Cal and Chou possibly picking Cal, and Range already here, she might end up with more friends on the Cal team than she would have had at any other Pac-12 school. But, I think this former teammate thing is being overvalued. Sabrina will decide what is best for her and her family, not her AAU or HS teammates. Sabrina is the missing piece for Cal. I think Coach G has gotten the message across.

As for the value of attending Cal versus other Pac-12 schools, except for Stanfurd and possibly ucla (UW is the next tier by themselves), Cal has no peer when it comes to the whole package of academics and athletics and social life. How many of you would choose to send your daughter or son to Oregon or OSU over Cal if all 3 schools offered a full scholarship (athletic or academic)? I know, you are going to say it's up to your daughter or son to decide. But, let's just say they look to you for guidance because they don't see the difference. They are counting on you to help them make the best life choice. The best 50 year decision. For me, it's a no brainer. So, I don't understand the debate. Now, if your kid plays basketball and isn't offered a Cal scholarship, or your kid can't get into Cal, then the argument that Oregon or OSU is just as good as Cal is moot.

I know this, I would not trade our WBB program for any other in the Pac-12, including Stanfurd.
califan
There is some talk out there that Sabrina may join Holmes at Texas. However, Texas asst coach has an adopted daughter on the team PG Higgs. Don't think I would want to deal with that.
ClayK
A couple notes:

*There was no way Gabby Green and Mariya Moore were going to play on the same team. You could recruit one or the other but not both.

*I first learned this from Kelly Graves: You don't recruit to stay at the same level; you recruit to get better. Some of the Cal Stars and other recruits are clearly elite players at the FBS level; others project to be good but not great. Since the hardest thing in recruiting/drafting is knowing when someone will stop improving, choices have to be made early (limited resources), and really, there's a lot more guesswork than anyone would like to believe. (Look at what happened with Jefflo, for example ...)

*What's a great college experience for one person isn't for another. I went to UCSB and enjoyed my time ... but some people left after two years because it was too isolated for them. Some people will love Berkeley and Telegraph and Shattuck and the atmosphere and the classes; some people will love Eugene, or Westwood, or San Diego. To claim that Berkeley is automatically a better fit for any freshman ignores the reality that people are different and value different things.

*And finally, I don't think academics plays much of a role in the decision for most elite athletes. For some, certainly, but for most, they're going to school to play their sport, and the "value" of the particular degree is not something they consider very much, if at all.
3Cats4CAL
ClayK;842547033 said:

A couple notes:

*There was no way Gabby Green and Mariya Moore were going to play on the same team. You could recruit one or the other but not both.

*I first learned this from Kelly Graves: You don't recruit to stay at the same level; you recruit to get better. Some of the Cal Stars and other recruits are clearly elite players at the FBS level; others project to be good but not great. Since the hardest thing in recruiting/drafting is knowing when someone will stop improving, choices have to be made early (limited resources), and really, there's a lot more guesswork than anyone would like to believe. (Look at what happened with Jefflo, for example ...)

*What's a great college experience for one person isn't for another. I went to UCSB and enjoyed my time ... but some people left after two years because it was too isolated for them. Some people will love Berkeley and Telegraph and Shattuck and the atmosphere and the classes; some people will love Eugene, or Westwood, or San Diego. To claim that Berkeley is automatically a better fit for any freshman ignores the reality that people are different and value different things.

*And finally, I don't think academics plays much of a role in the decision for most elite athletes. For some, certainly, but for most, they're going to school to play their sport, and the "value" of the particular degree is not something they consider very much, if at all.

Some of those "for some..." might include the Ogumikes, Wiggins, etc who chose stanfurd.
Shocky1
clay & 3 cats, i will never criticize a cal target for signing with stanford

but i disagree that "elite athletes" don't consider the academic value of their collegiate decisions...ivan rabb & jaylen rabb are among the top 5 players in the united states for the 2015 class, they are both enrolled now at the #1 ranked public university in the world, they could've gone anywhere

they didn't select academically mediocre schools, they realize that eventually basketball is gonna be done with them, they are preparing for that day

sabrina, are you limitless mentally & athletically?

puget sound cal fan
Oregon hoops logo should be modified to add handcuffs.
puget sound cal fan
The last in-state guard with that aura was Jordin Canada, but her HC may be standing in the way of Canada fulfilling that vision. C'mon, Sabrina, choose right!
jaymel911
Did the Cal education teach someone to refer to a recruits parents as immigrants? I think even a degree in common sense would let someone know that is a highly offensive remark. No matter the degree it is the individual that will ultimately determine their own path of success.
puget sound cal fan
I suspect the immigrants reference was intended to suggest education was probably a high priority consideration for their daughter's college selection, particularly when one of the options is the University of California. Maybe it's not, but I think it's a reasonable speculation, and not meant to be a slur on Ionescu's parents.
stu
We're all immigrants - this continent existed long before any human set foot on it.
Shocky1
jaymel911;842547799 said:

Did the Cal education teach someone to refer to a recruits parents as immigrants? I think even a degree in common sense would let someone know that is a highly offensive remark. No matter the degree it is the individual that will ultimately determine their own path of success.

guess what, sabrina's parents introduced themselves to a couple of attendees at the men's basketball practice as "romanian immigrants" back in the day, maybe you should save your cultural correctness speeches for them

so where did you go to college, what do you do for a living today & has how has your educational background impacted the quality of your life?

yeah, an oregon or oregon state degree can help you become the night shift supervisor at the 7/11 in walnut creek but that's only if you gotta a couple of good breaks along the way

don't be a dumb azz#

you're anti education agenda is clear
kat0189
I think everyone needs to calm down and just let it play out.

Ironically, during all this back and forth about Cal vs. Oregon/Oregon State, I just read a note on the Baylor board that Texas (who just landed #1/#2 Joyner Holmes) could be a VERY serious factor for Sabrina. A little bizarre considering how loaded Texas is with guards and how thin they are with bigs, but apparently we should not sleep on them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.