sabrina ionescu

149,391 Views | 549 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
chimera;842587557 said:

People were posting about the players who got passed over and were unhappy? That would be Stanford people I assume because why would anyone else care, so I can very safely say simply not true, 100% false. She was a top 100 recruit (I don't remember all the various rankings) in a five person recruiting class, which is quite large for Stanford. She was not the lowest ranked recruit in that class. So how could anyone have been passed over for her? I know the recruiting and nobody was. I don't know how you would know her GPA, test scores, AP classes, etc., certainly not enough to imply she was given a gift admit to get her sister. She's been in the rotation pretty much all her career. She has started plenty of games. The two "situations" you mention in this thread are not examples of kids getting getting an offer to get a sibling. Of the sports I follow I don't see any of that happening, not in the nefarious manner you seem to imply. They don't bend the admissions rules to get top recruits so why would they bend them to get the sister of a top recruit? Doesn't make sense.

I suggest you read my post a few pages back where I get more specific before Moraga starts to censor. Both Cal and Furd provide many package deals. Time to lose the holier than thou.
bobbk
Actually the lesser brother place kicker came 2 years after the better brother. Also they didn't play together. Darn facts
chimera
wifeisafurd;842588190 said:

I suggest you read my post a few pages back where I get more specific before Moraga starts to censor. Both Cal and Furd provide many package deals. Time to lose the holier than thou.

I don't care if schools provide package deals. They all do it to varying degrees. In the grand scheme of recruiting shenanigans I find that to be very small potatoes. I don't blame kids for wanting to go to the same school as family or close friends. It can be tricky if one kid is a much more highly regarded recruit but that is for the recruits to sort out, that they understand what they are getting into. I was objecting to your two examples - Samuelson and Wopat, and the implication they got admitted when they should not have been. That bit is not right. And I do know of what I speak (a little). Ask PearBear, who may remember me from when I used to write for Stanford's Scout site. I don't anymore but I did for a few years. I'm not sure if he remembers me but we chatted a bit in the media room when our two teams played. I used to have Tara's cell phone number. Actually I still do, not sure it still works though.
califan
Not sure of the point of this thread. Sabrina will come or she will not. I do not think what we have to say about it will make a difference one way or the other. Some of us have short memories. I recall K Samuelson as a freshman scored 14 and 16 points against us according to the records. I commented on the fact that she and Thompson outplayed the other freshman like McCall, Kailee Johnson etc, just as they did as sophomores. IMO not sure this is helping our case with Sabrina.
wifeisafurd
chimera;842588315 said:

I don't care if schools provide package deals. They all do it to varying degrees. In the grand scheme of recruiting shenanigans I find that to be very small potatoes. I don't blame kids for wanting to go to the same school as family or close friends. It can be tricky if one kid is a much more highly regarded recruit but that is for the recruits to sort out, that they understand what they are getting into. I was objecting to your two examples - Samuelson and Wopat, and the implication they got admitted when they should not have been. That bit is not right. And I do know of what I speak (a little). Ask PearBear, who may remember me from when I used to write for Stanford's Scout site. I don't anymore but I did for a few years. I'm not sure if he remembers me but we chatted a bit in the media room when our two teams played. I used to have Tara's cell phone number. Actually I still do, not sure it still works though.

Not my comments on Samuelson. Take it up with all the posters who said it was. Wopat was a package. BTW, I guess its not as bad as say hiring someone's mom and getting them to leave your old school for your new school. Right Coach Harbaugh?
wifeisafurd
bobbk;842588261 said:

Actually the lesser brother place kicker came 2 years after the better brother. Also they didn't play together. Darn facts

Funny them appearing on the same rosters, and the one who turned out better and the one who was came first as a transfer was all conference. But why let facts get in your way. Oh you must mean the didn't play together on the field. Hard to believe placekickers not being not the field at the same time. Care to take a shot on the tight end becuase he also transferred from the same school.
wifeisafurd
It has nothing to do with Sabrina's decision. This stuff happens all the time, and people want to stick their heads in sand when its about their school.
concordtom
Miramonte has strict attendance boundaries. If the Ionescu family lives in Walnut Creek, how could they be attending the Orinda hs?

Further, I read they often played ball at Larkey Park. Might that not even be Las Lomas territory, but College Park? There's a strange border area of WC and Lafayette over there by Geary and Pleasant Hill Rd, Lafayette address that don't attend Acalanes... I guess Larkey is further down and would be LL.

Anyways, go AUHSD!
ClayK
There's a pretty simple law in California, passed decades ago to encourage parents to vote with their feet about schools: You can apply to attend any school in the state, and if there is room, that school must accept you. If there are more applicants than spaces available, a lottery is held.

Miramonte is not at capacity, so when Sabrina was a freshman, she applied to go there and was accepted. Las Lomas, on the other hand, is impacted (too many students) so someone living in Orinda could not go to Las Lomas (in Walnut Creek). I heard that Acalanes is now impacted, but I believe any freshman anywhere can get into Campolindo or Miramonte by applying in January or February. (Non-freshmen can also apply, but they must abide by transfer rules and may lose eligibility.)
pearbear
Staff
Per this story Sabrina made an official visit to Oregon State this weekend.
Shocky1
visited with women's head coach lindsay gottlieb who was in the haas tonite along with her tightly bonded team & miramonte high school's sabrina ionescu who drove the 15 minutes from home with her siblings to berkeley for an unofficial visit

as the #4 ranked player in the 2016 class sabrina is quite literally the final necessary piece of the puzzle for the bears to return to the final four during the next several seasons...cal upset #8 ranked louisville on the road in front of 16,000+ loud fans sunday, the bears got a bright future but ionescu is the pivotal key to an unlimited future, she is the elite guard that the coach gottlieb need to compete with connecticut for a potential future national championship(s)

yeah, sabrina was smiling a lot tonite at haas

https://vimeo.com/45797764

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including walnut creek)

history in the making?#
puget sound cal fan
I hope her unofficial visit is a good sign.
kat0189
everyone b sure to like/favorite and retweet the pro-Cal tweets that sabrina retweeted.

if u don't have a twitter account then make one just for this k?

https://twitter.com/sabrina_i20
smh
kat0189;842594168 said:

everyone b sure to like/favorite and retweet the pro-Cal tweets that sabrina retweeted.

if u don't have a twitter account then make one just for this k?

https://twitter.com/sabrina_i20

oh-kay kat, wilco. unless ncaa sees us as "affiliated" persons, possibly a no-no?

# brave new world

kat0189
smh;842594266 said:

oh-kay kat, wilco, unless ncaa sees us as "affiliated" persons, possibly a no-no?

# a brave new world

idk! idk... no? idk the precise rules
kat0189
Option A: [ATTACH=CONFIG]5278[/ATTACH]

Option B: [ATTACH=CONFIG]5279[/ATTACH]
GOCAL73
smh;842594266 said:

oh-kay kat, wilco. unless ncaa sees us as "affiliated" persons, possibly a no-no?

# brave new world

I thought the cyberspace stuff was ok? Didn't NCAA back off trying to regulate social media? I'm sure MB knows. Maybe he can set us straight.
GOCAL73
B
kat0189;842594279 said:

Option A: [ATTACH=CONFIG]5278[/ATTACH]

Option B: [ATTACH=CONFIG]5279[/ATTACH]

Great post. But a little UO biased. Actually the Oregon dude must be on his way to a wedding or meeting with his parole officer as he is wearing his Sunday best and his beard appears to have been combed recently. OTH, the Cal dude is just an average guy by Cal standards. How can we compete?
kat0189
lololol

this recruiting race is a dogfight...

should be fine retweeting what 50 others have already retweeted. I just didn't address her directly / or tweet @ her.
85 Fly
[QUOTE=ClayK;842584046
But I find it worse to hire someone just to get their kid, as has happened numerous times. Eddy Ionescu probably won't take a spot/job from anyone else, but when an assistant coach is hired just to get a pipeline to his offspring or club talent, that takes a job away from someone who is presumably more qualified as a coach.

Funny you mentioned this Clay, I watched the Memphis men's game earlier today with Frosh Lawson starting and his dad on the bench the newly hired assistant coach (was always a HS coach not college level before his son committed to Memphis) and supposedly the two younger sons have already committed to Memphis-coincidence?:rolleyes:
ClayK
Assistant coaches are a dime a dozen, and pretty much anyone can break down film or teach the basics of a drop step. And maybe the dad should get credit for training his three kids so well ...

But still, it would seem more fair to reward guys who have put in the time at the college level than jump a guy from high school just because his kids are all 6-6.
smh
ClayK;842594978 said:

Assistant coaches are a dime a dozen..

harsh much? some of us appreciate the work done by coach gottlieb's helpmates.
ClayK
I spent more than a decade as an assistant coach, and I know how much they can help or hurt. But when you have three assistants and a DOBO on each staff, one of them doesn't have to be a world-beater. How about this? "Third asssistants are a dime a dozen."
Shocky1
Shocky1;842594142 said:

visited with women's head coach lindsay gottlieb who was in the haas tonite along with her tightly bonded team & miramonte high school's sabrina ionescu who drove the 15 minutes from home with her siblings to berkeley for an unofficial visit

as the #4 ranked player in the 2016 class sabrina is quite literally the final necessary piece of the puzzle for the bears to return to the final four during the next several seasons...cal upset #8 ranked louisville on the road in front of 16,000+ loud fans sunday, the bears got a bright future but ionescu is the pivotal key to an unlimited future, she is the elite guard that the coach gottlieb need to compete with connecticut for a potential future national championship(s)

yeah, sabrina was smiling a lot tonite at haas

https://vimeo.com/45797764

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including walnut creek)

history in the making?#

in watching head coach lindsay gottlieb's bears gallop by them san louis obispo mustangs 82-57 this afternoon at haas pavilion, it's very clear that sabrina ionescu is the final missing piece of the puzzle for cal to compete with connecticut for potential future national championship(s)

the bears are led by one of ivan rabb's best friends from their time back in the day at oakland's montera middle school asha thomas who facilitated/distributed the ball which resulted in a women's program record setting 14 3 pointers (they looked like jabari & jordan at madison square garden last november at madison square garden) en route to 5 assists along with 19 points on an efficient 7-11 fgs & 4-6 3 pointers...i dunno maybe asha could split time with the men's team to ensure that her young ivee gets fed too

sabrina, the bears don't got any seniors on the team, everybody is gonna return next season and there's only 1 rotation playing junior in courtney range...the bears are gonna win a lot of games & if you decide to compete athletically and academically as a california golden bears you & your future teammates could be the last team standing in the ncca women's championship tournament

just think about it

dream big#
petalumabear
GOCAL73;842594409 said:

B

Great post. But a little UO biased. Actually the Oregon dude must be on his way to a wedding or meeting with his parole officer as he is wearing his Sunday best and his beard appears to have been combed recently. OTH, the Cal dude is just an average guy by Cal standards. How can we compete?

Yeah we never see anyone who looks like that in Berkeley..... smh....
petalumabear
ClayK;842595570 said:

I spent more than a decade as an assistant coach, and I know how much they can help or hurt. But when you have three assistants and a DOBO on each staff, one of them doesn't have to be a world-beater. How about this? "Third asssistants are a dime a dozen."

So I guess I can't tell.... how did I do in the interview Clay?? :p
Shocky1
sabrina in the haas this afternoon with her family in the 1st row behind the cal bench

view to a kill#
john1953
From the picture in post #1, she is not only 11' 9" tall, she has nice long basketball hands, too. :woohoo

Simple offensive strategy "catch-and-flush." Don't dribble from up there, puleeeeze - and NO low interior bounce passes. :cheer

Defense: Stand in the post circle with your hands up and waving. (be mindful of being whistled for goal-tending.)

Cal only needs one coach now; could be a student intern, or even Coach K 'cause he deserves it.

But imagine the ergonomics of everyday life for this lonely human skyscraper...

[U]On second thought[/U] I'll take her at 6' and keep all the coaches. Sabrina would be turning pro ASAP anyway.
kat0189
Shocky1;842598950 said:

sabrina in the haas this afternoon with her family in the 1st row behind the cal bench

view to a kill#

that's good.......honestly, I think her waiting until spring SLIGHTLY benefits us. I thought we were toast when Eddy announced for Oregon, but the more distance away from that, I think the less of a factor that will be perhaps ?? (though I'm sure it will still be a factor)
Shocky1

don't be a dumb azz#
ClayK
Expect Eddy to have a great year for Miramonte, but don't confuse the DFAL numbers with being Pac-12 ready.

He's a good high school player, and may actually score more than Sabrina this year, but I'm just saying right now that he couldn't play for the Cal men because I expect fans to start wondering why Cal didn't recruit him too when they see his stats.
puget sound cal fan
Good tip, ClayK, to keep things in their proper perspective.
MoragaBear
Staff
Every time I saw a Miramonte game or a box score last season, Eddie was @10 points or so.

Hard to imagine him outscoring Sabrina.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842600249 said:

don't be a dumb azz#

the average wnba contract is for $72k per year...that's 2% of the average nba annual salary
stu
Shocky1;842600785 said:

the average wnba contract is for $72k per year...that's 2% of the average nba annual salary

And less than the average mid-career salary for Cal grads. [URL="http://www.payscale.com/research/US/School=University_of_California_-_Berkeley/Salary"][COLOR="#0000FF"]source[/COLOR][/URL]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.