sabrina ionescu

149,385 Views | 549 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Schroeder71;842607251 said:

She has not proven capable of consistently bringing in major transfusions of Southern California talent. Joanne Boyle did succeed in this area which is HUGE.

Coach B recruited zero SoCal players in her first 3 classes. She (or assistant Kevin Morrison) recruited 4 SoCal players (Pierre, Clarendon, Brandon, Caldwell) in 2009, 1 SoCal player (Sherbert) in 2010, and 1 SoCal player (Gray) in 2011. I'd call that 1 major infusion of SoCal talent in 6 years.

IMHO the distance and cultural differences make Berkeley a tough sell in SoCal, so I consider it from a recruiting perspective to be more like another state.

Quote:

Fortunately, she does land the unpredictable out of state recruit like Kristine Anigwe to keep the team competitive.

I would categorize all recruiting as unpredictable. Also I expect we could do very well internationally, but I doubt we put significant resources into international recruiting.
iminoc
So on July 11, 2020 I am going to take a long vacation, driving up I-5 in Oregon. I am not sure where, but I will be pulling off the road somewhere to get my free Slurpee at a 7/11. I wonder if Sabrina greets me and says welcome.
iminoc
stu;842607381 said:

Coach B recruited zero SoCal players in her first 3 classes. She (or assistant Kevin Morrison) recruited 4 SoCal players (Pierre, Clarendon, Brandon, Caldwell) in 2009, 1 SoCal player (Sherbert) in 2010, and 1 SoCal player (Gray) in 2011. I'd call that 1 major infusion of SoCal talent in 6 years.

IMHO the distance and cultural differences make Berkeley a tough sell in SoCal, so I consider it from a recruiting perspective to be more like another state.

I would categorize all recruiting as unpredictable. Also I expect we could do very well internationally, but I doubt we put significant resources into international recruiting.

1 SoCal player (Sherbert) in 2010,

She also recruited Cassie Harberts who wound up at USC.
85 Fly
You know what for right now I'm going to hold onto what Clay said and stop thinking about it and when April comes if I'm pleasantly surprised then great. Personally, I don't think she's going to Oregon, she's rollin with OSU which is less than an hour from twin brother . IF she goes to Oregon its because Alleyne graduates and the remaining roster is young so basically its her team that could intrigue her. And to add to that if she picks either school she will reunite with a CalStars teammate.

We need more than an 8 man rotation. When I was in LV watching Top 15 ranked teams play they had at least 12 woman roster and were regularly rotating them in the game!

P.S. Schroeder- You're right she likes the BOD, SMB, SMS (yes Court (by way of Manteca) but Afuri too) ladies! Lol
BearBint
iminoc;842607571 said:

She also recruited Cassie Harberts who wound up at USC.

And she has also successfully recruited Brown and West who will join Cal next season:

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210487488

If I may say something re. S.I., preferably without being chased by a pitchfork-waving mob, I believe the team will manage well without her, just as they managed without much participation from J-Hart, Cal's first 5-star recruit (and also a SoCal player). No one rookie is indispensable.
willtalk
jaymel911;842602279 said:

Pivec played wing this summer with ECBA with Tea Adams at point. Ionescue , Tudor, Pivec and Thorpay make up a national stage type recruiting class.

On a different note, we are hearing there may be an outside school such as a Baylor joining the mix. This could change the landscape really quick.

If you follow the time line it should be pretty obvious as to what the situation is. The outside schools might just be misreading her delay and figured they have an outside chance so they are putting out some feelers. I wouldn't put too much stock in rumors. Remember everyone was pretty much sure it was between OU and Cal with OSU totally out of the picture. Go back to the time line and use your brains and not your access to rumor mills. The fact that she deferred her decision when she did gives evidence and validates the current situation. You people are not very good at reading between the lines. Why do you think I questioned her commitment to only Cal and OU?
patsweetpat
BearBint;842607771 said:

If I may say something re. S.I., preferably without being chased by a pitchfork-waving mob, I believe the team will manage well without her, just as they managed without much participation from J-Hart, Cal's first 5-star recruit (and also a SoCal player). No one rookie is indispensable.

Agreed. Cal WBB is gonna be just fine.
CalWBBFan
patsweetpat;842608034 said:

Agreed. Cal WBB is gonna be just fine.
Indeed, one player does not make a team. Cal needs to attract players who want to be here, not be desperate for those who would rather play elsewhere. I think Coach G has managed to do pretty well with recruiting.
CalFanatic
Still hoping SI recognizes the importance of a Cal degree and realizing this would be an immediate FF team next year. Must be the optimist in me
MoragaBear
Staff
I can tell you that Cal's certainly not out of it by any stretch with Sabrina. I wouldn't guarantee she's going to Cal but she hasn't backed off on Cal at all and they're still persuing her hard.

Regarding recruiting targets, it may seem like their target group is small each year but it's not at all. People talk about the "main targets" a lot but they're far from all that are being recruited in any given year. And while they may lean more locally, the fact is that it's much easier to grow a relationship with players in close proximity, especially in women's hoops so the fact that more local players are committing is largely a function of that. They're just able to develop stronger relationships at close range.

The staff has always preferred to not max out the roster, especially with women's hoops getting two more schollies than the men. Managing playing time, expectations, etc can be very tricky with so many on the bench and they don't like the idea of multiple transfers a year. That said, they're definitely willing to push much closer to the limits if it's the right combination of players.
Shocky1
happy birthday, sabrina

what are you, like 28 or something?

old timer#
stu
Shocky1;842612064 said:

happy birthday, sabrina

We celebrated by scoring more than 6 times your age. Come join the fun!
BearBint
stu;842612067 said:

We celebrated by scoring more than 6 times your age. Come join the fun!

Speak for yourself, Statmeister Stu. BearBloke and I are celebrating with a bottle of sparkly stuff, and lifting our glasses to Kristine and her dexterity.
HoopDreams
Kristine is the type of player you can build a program around
the question is who we will have at guard next year
can't imagine we can be competitive with only two guards
pearbear
Staff
BearBint;842612102 said:

Speak for yourself, Statmeister Stu. BearBloke and I are celebrating with a bottle of sparkly stuff, and lifting our glasses to Kristine and her dexterity.

And I love her balance. Yes, she had the size advantage almost every time she caught the ball down low today. But her balance (and dexterity of course) allowed her to go either way, so she was able to score almost every time, without committing a charge. For a freshman, that's great. And she knows that she needs to improve her defense. Again, that's terrific.
stu
BearBint;842612102 said:

Too bad Kristine isn't old enough to join you. But honor Kristine and her dexterity by not spilling any.
GOCAL73
HoopDreams;842612131 said:

Kristine is the type of player you can build a program around
the question is who we will have at guard next year
can't imagine we can be competitive with only two guards

Yep. We have Thomas and Green back as our PGs next year and that's it unless LG finds another one quick. Won't be surprised if she recruits europe and down under for one. Not that many Pac-12 level US players remain uncommitted. This is why Sabrina is such a big deal for Cal. Think we actually need her more than Oregon does.
Shocky1
all american sabrina ionescu scored 33 points as the miramonte matadors (5-0) caped the sacred heart cathedral fightin' irish 89-45 in the mats tip off classic

Shocky1
Shocky1;842616928 said:

us news is ranking cal #3 in their 2015 collegiate world rankings

a cal degree is like a winning lottery ticket, it will open an unlimited number of doors in the future in your quest to achieve your dreams & goals in life...today's highly competitive global marketplace favors those that are well educated, that's just the way it is...if you go to an academically mediocre school & get injured you are ******, that's why you got to be mentally limitless

but you gotta have academic ambition to graduate from cal, are you willing to do the work?

yeah, ambition is priceless, it's something in your veins

50 year decision#

good luck to sabrina's future potential teammates in berkeley as they finish up finals this week
Shocky1
kelly sopak's miramonte matadors (6-0) remain undefeated after the mats dethroned the brookside christian knights 96-52 under the senior leadership of basketball junkie/3.5 gpa all american sabrina ionescu's 38 pointers

yeah, sabrina's got a smart older bro who graduated from st marys, always fun when he & the family can watch the sassy one play home games in the bay area

https://vimeo.com/45797764
Shocky1
sabrina, your leading the mats to the nike interstate shootout december 26-30th in lake owesgo will be a terrific opportunity for you to experience 1st hand oregon winter weather

please travel safely, vehicles sliding off the roads into harm is a real concern this time of year

yeah, it's gonna be highs in the low 40s & lows in the high 20s

Shocky1
sabrina, is your family gonna travel with you to cheer you on at the nike tournament?

typical plane tickets from oakland to portland are around $300 per roundtrip, rental cars are about $50 bucks a day & a mid range hotel is around $150 per day...then you gotta add gas, food & incidental costs

yeah, it could cost your family around $1,500-$2,000 every time they wanna travel to the pacific northwest for a couple of days

how wealthy is your family, are they minted?...what financial hardships are you willing to impose upon them in if they want to share in your college basketball gamedays?

the special daughter/sister#
iminoc
Sabrina, this what you might find near Cal.[ATTACH=CONFIG]5369[/ATTACH]

I am sure that the good posters on this forum want a fair and balanced picture for Sabrina to decide from.

I have no problem if the forum administrator wants to delete my post. I am just making a counter point to a prior post made by a ridiculous poster, no names mentioned.
Shocky1
iminoc;842620882 said:

I am sure that the good posters on this forum want a fair and balanced picture for Sabrina to decide from.

I have no problem if the forum administrator wants to delete my post. I am just making a counter point to a prior post made by a ridiculous poster, no names mentioned.

iminoc, very interesting you would find humor in homelessness, is poverty also a big joke to you?

do you donate to charitable causes, are you wealthy enough to generously make a difference to those in need?

let's be real here, the world is a very complex place that favors those that are well educated (even in becoming a head coach, gottlieb graduated with an ivy league degree) over those from academically mediocre schools like oregon & oregon state

iminoc, did you graduate from cal?...if so, what opportunities has it created for you to help others?
iminoc
Shocky1;842620890 said:

iminoc, very interesting you would find humor in homelessness, is poverty also a big joke to you?

do you donate to charitable causes(1), are you wealthy enough to generously make a difference to those in need?(2)

let's be real here, the world is a very complex place that favors those that are well educated (even in becoming a head coach, gottlieb graduated with an ivy league degree) over those from academically mediocre schools like oregon & oregon state

iminoc, did you graduate from cal?(3)...if so, what opportunities has it created for you to help others?(4-n/a)

Who said it was humor? It is a fact that there are many homeless people near the Cal Campus, something that she might have to take into in her choice, as is the weather and the cost of travel as you pointed out..

As to your other questions, which I numbered
1- Yes
2- whether one is wealthy or not is irrelevant, as long as you give back is all that matters.
3- No
4-n/a--see #3
Shocky1
iminoc;842620945 said:

Who said it was humor? It is a fact that there are many homeless people near the Cal Campus, something that she might have to take into in her choice, as is the weather and the cost of travel as you pointed out..

As to your other questions, which I numbered
1- Yes
2- whether one is wealthy or not is irrelevant, as long as you give back is all that matters.
3- No
4-n/a--see #3

iminoc, i think it's disingenuous for you to comment re: the value of a degree from the #1 ranked public university in the world if you haven't actually achieved that life changing experience

think it's great that you support charitable causes, cal has long been one of the key epicenters in the united states for free speech, the civil rights movements & the protection of those less fortunate

even if sabrina ionescu solely defines her future by playing basketball on a basketball court with a basketball, a degree from cal, stanford or the ivy league will open many more doors in pursuing coaching and/or front office executive positions than an academically mediocre school

iminoc, you're probably a very good person & are not aware of the unethical recruiting efforts by the university of oregon and specifically the ducks coaches for both the mens & womens teams...these coaches are using sabraina & her brother as pawns in a game financed by a company that pays workers in indonesia a dollar a day to make their shoes

clay k is misinformed re: ionescu's recruitment, he has an agenda...as long as sabrina continues to attend cal games at haas pavilion, the bears have a strong chance of signing the missing piece for future final 4 teams

a cal degree would position ionescu to pursue her lifelong dreams of winning a national championsip in college, allowing her family & friends from miramonte high school & the starz to watch in person the vast majority of her games and then pursue her professional aspirations including coaching if that's the goal...that academic ambition will also allow her to help her family & charitable causes

an oregon degree allows her bro to be given a scholly after this freshman year in eugene & play for a mid level pac 12 team in the cold azz northwest far away from the rest of her family & friends

you are correct, there are homeless people near the cal campus...do you think that the many resources including food & a roof over their heads offered by local groups including churches is part of the reason they gravitate toward berkeley, do you think that spirit of tolerance & help for those less fortunate plays a role in their sleeping on the streets of berkeley?

homelessness, poverty & hunger are not a joke, let's do something about it...being well educated is the 1st step

[video=youtube;-8aXwHl3OGA][/video]

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (and a powerful force with respects to social responsibility)
annarborbear
How about showing some photos of the USC surrounding neighborhood? That is, if the photographer can get out alive.
stu
Poverty is endemic in the USA. No state is free of it. In Oregon it may be more rural than urban and you might have to look a little harder to see it, but trust me it's there. The question is not where you find it but, as Shocky1 pointed out, what you do about it.
jackbauerish
stu;842621017 said:

Poverty is endemic in the USA. No state is free of it. In Oregon it may be more rural than urban and you might have to look a little harder to see it, but trust me it's there. The question is not where you find it but, as Shocky1 pointed out, what you do about it.

Eugene has a big problem with not only homeless but Meth.
GOCAL73
iminoc;842620882 said:

This is a Cal site. Why is there any need to present a fair and balanced view? Actually, why would we want to? Maybe you should present your balanced view on the Duck site. I'm sure you will be warmly embraced there.

And why are you picking on the homeless? Or are you saying that Sabrina has a problem with homeless people? Are you saying there is no homeless problem in Oregon? Maybe you should visit. Having seen them myself, I can assure you there are plenty of homeless in Eugene and many more in Portland, Oregon's only city comparable to the Bay area. But, since I'm not freaked out by the homeless, I'm not going to mention them as a factor as to why Sabrina should not consider Oregon.

Also, stop harassing Shocky. At least he doesn't dump on the homeless.
willtalk
Why is it necessary to respond with a fair and balanced view? None when it comes to supporting the program or to sell the program if it will help a recruit make up their mind. If the thread, however, is geared to considering the possibilities of her choice and the reasons involved than objectivity is not out of line. In fact in that respect being realistic comes into play. That might involve considering both the positives and negatives.

Both Sabrina and her family are intelligent enough to have investigated the schools under consideration and have already considered all of the rational reasons involved. It is more likely that the choice hinges more on intangibles and emotional considerations at this point in time. Nothing that is posted in respect to pluses and minus's of these programs is likely to have any impact on their choice. I am sure living so close that they know all the positives and negatives in respect to Cal already. There is still also the assumption that the choice is primarily between Cal and Oregon based on the primary focus of this thread.
CalFanatic
All I know is Looking at Oregon's PAC schedule... They should start out conference 0-6. UCLA, USC, OSU x 2, and Cal and Stanford. Ready to see them battle against real competition on a weekly basis
SRBear
Well...to be fair, it's obviously a stanfurd fan waiting patiently for the Feb. 5 game.
ClayK
My personal agenda, for what it's worth, is to see Sabrina at Cal. But the only agenda that matters is hers ...
petalumabear
^^^^ you've got your priorities straight Clay.... Merry Christmas..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.