sabrina ionescu

149,362 Views | 549 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
kat0189;842549410 said:

Ironically, during all this back and forth about Cal vs. Oregon/Oregon State, I just read a note on the Baylor board that Texas (who just landed #1/#2 Joyner Holmes) could be a VERY serious factor for Sabrina.

The University of Texas is not a bad school, but I think they require their students to live in Texas.
concordtom
Sabrina has been mentioned on this women's basketball thread since she was a freshman. It's funny to finally, now at this point late in her recruitment, to see Shocky going all out.
Go Mats!!!
Go Bears!!!
Here's hoping the MHS-->Cal pipeline continues.
CalWBBFan
stu;842549505 said:

The University of Texas is not a bad school, but I think they require their students to live in Texas.
Spot on. LOL
Shocky1

"she jumped in my car to go to 711...i wasn't hanging out with her, she was hanging out with me"
-kemahni booze on sabrina's twitter

i dunno, maybe it was career day for the university of oregon

50 year decision#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842543542 said:

sabrina is a legit 6'+ & is still growing...she has a basketball playing bro who is 6'5"...will be interesting to see if criminal dana altman & the unethical oregon basketball program try to lure ionescu to eugene by offering her brother scholarship $

what you need to know about dana altman: during labor day weekend of 2010 tony woods beat the crap out of his girlfriend in front of their 8 month old child...woods was arrested and charged with three counts of assault for kicking and pushing courney lorel barbout who suffered a fracture of her spine in the attack

against the 6'11" 250 lbs woods, courney had no chance to protect herself

wake forest did the right thing and suspended woods

so oregon's sleazeball head coach dana altman recruited woods to shore up the ducks interior defense

dana altman & steve alford are enablers of sexual predators that commit crimes of violence against women if it means they might win a few more games

who else has altman recruited to eugene?

*elgin cook, declared ineligible during high in milwaukee for having a gpa under 2.0 & also left school for florida due to his involvement with gang activity
http://themilwaukeedrum.com/2011/02/13/the-tragedy-of-elgin-cook-other-mps-black-student-athletes/

*jordan bell from long beach poly was academically ineligible out of high school

*christiano felicio from brazil was declared ineligible by the ncaa after attending a roseville "prep school" handpicked by altman that is facing allegations of academic fraud & child abuse
http://fox40.com/2013/01/10/roseville-prep-academy-coach-arrested-for-physical-abuse/

*jaquan lyle, 2.5 gpa in high school & suspended for fighting in high school was ineligible to enroll at oregon

*ray kosongo was denied admission by the university's special admission board which was created by concerned faculty re: altman's disinterest in recruiting high character student athletes

*ben carter, suspended along with dominic artis for selling team issued shoes/gear, transfered to unlv

*a.j. lapray transferred to pepperdine

*brandon austin, 2.6 gpa in philly, was suspended from the providence basketball team after being charged with a sexual assault of a female student...he immediately was recruited & transferred to oregon...when confronted by the media, altman claimed he checked austin's background but did not know he raped a girl while at providence...charged in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed

*damyean dotson, suspended during the season for trying to use a fake id at a bar...charged in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed

*dominic artis, named in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed with a court restraining order does not allow him to set foot on the university of oregon campus

*elgin cook & jalil abdul bassit were arrested by the eugene police department for shoplifting at market across the street from matthew knight arena on sept 12th of last season...dana altman has stated "we expect our student athletes to conduct themselves as solid members of this community and team...both were "internally disciplined" (which means nothing as usual)"
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/10/two_oregon_ducks_basketball_pl.html

*dana altman knews that elgin cook had been cited for assault & battery, disorderly conduct and vandalism four years ago in wisconsin before he recruited him to oregon...criminal dana altman has stated "i was aware of elgin's background prior to his arrival at the university of oregon...the two years before he arrived here, elgin did very well at prep school and junior college, especially in the classroom...we would not have recruited elgin if we didn't believe he was capable of receiving a college education that he would appreciate and value"
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/10/dana_altman_was_aware_of_elgin.html

*jordan bell cited for harassing an oregon parking officer attempting to place a ticket on his car...altman suspended bell for 1 game, a home game vs pac 12 cellar opponent washington state

*dana altman has been named in the lawsuit against the university of oregon filed by the female student victim of the brutal player sexual assault for his role in allegedly lying to authorities that he did not know that brandon austin was dismissed by providence for raping a female student

*when mike montgomery had his cancer scare dana altman & his henchman tony stubblefield negatively recruited against the bears basketball program using this medical situation as a reason not to attend cal

make no mistake about, altman & stubblefield are pieces of worthless ****

this is oregon basketball#

eddy ionescu is receiving interest from dana altman & will take an unofficial visit to eugene next month

ClayK
Nothing against Eddy, but I don't think too many people see him as a Pac-12 player.

Nice rant against Altman, but credibility is lost when claims are made that Oregon's universities supply an education that is of no value. One can learn anywhere, even at (shudder) a community college.
Shocky1
ClayK;842550639 said:

Nothing against Eddy, but I don't think too many people see him as a Pac-12 player.

Nice rant against Altman, but credibility is lost when claims are made that Oregon's universities supply an education that is of no value. One can learn anywhere, even at (shudder) a community college.

clay, where is it written that "oregon's universities supply an education that is of no value?"

i've stated my belief that oregon is an academically mediocre school compared to the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world, do you disagree with that?
puget sound cal fan
+1
orindabear74
Honestly, this whole discussion about academic superiority smacks of elitism. We know that Cal is rated higher than almost all other Pac12 schools, but the endless touting of this fact is quite boring. Like my daddy used to say, if you're rich there's no reason to flaunt it other than to address your own insecurities. Oregon is a fine school. In fact, one of my son's friends from Miramonte was admitted to Hastings Law with a degree from Oregon. So let's bring this discussion back to Sabrina.
patsweetpat
Shocky1;842550707 said:

clay, where is it written that "oregon's universities supply an education that is of no value?"

yeah, an oregon or oregon state degree can help you become the night shift supervisor at the 7/11 in walnut creek but that's only if you gotta a couple of good breaks along the way

The implication strikes me as relatively clear.
CalWBBFan
Sigh...I got my BA at a great (Ivy) institution and graduate degree at Cal and I teach at a local community college....that said, as my senior looks toward college I've steered her away from the Ivys and large public institutions in favor of a smaller campus where she'll have more direct access to her professors (and smaller class sizes). We're seeking the best "fit" for her in terms of her interests and her personality. A great education can be had at many an institution...what's required is being an engaged student.

Believe it or not I teach some very engaged young people who are at community college because life has given them few options. Many will end up transferring to a great four year institution like Cal or UCLA or SF State....or a private institution.

I've also had students (from local 4 yr schools including Cal) enroll in my classes our college offered coursework (and access to equipment) not available via Berkeley.

My niece went to Oregon and worked her tail off. She ended up working as a multimedia producer in Seattle and now, back in Oregon, is traveling the world setting up exhibits for Nike.

As I've said previously on this forum, not every school is the right fit for every student ( including scholar athletes). We should honor the journey these young women are on. Our coaches will give it their best shot but in the end it's a matter of where each young women feels she can find a home for 4 years playing the sport she loves while expanding her mind. Enough dissing the Ducks or whomever...what will be, will be.
Shocky1
patsweetpat;842550980 said:

yeah, an oregon or oregon state degree can help you become the night shift supervisor at the 7/11 in walnut creek but that's only if you gotta a couple of good breaks along the way

The implication strikes me as relatively clear.

agreed
stu
CalWBBFan;842551176 said:

as my senior looks toward college I've steered her away from the Ivys and large public institutions in favor of a smaller campus where she'll have more direct access to her professors (and smaller class sizes).

I did the same with my daughter. The liberal arts college she chose worked out very well, with small classes and professors focused on teaching. The teams sucked but she's always been a Cal fan.

Quote:

Believe it or not I teach some very engaged young people who are at community college because life has given them few options.
I've also had students (from local 4 yr schools including Cal) enroll in my classes our college offered coursework (and access to equipment) not available via Berkeley.

Me too. I expect that's a common experience for community college teachers.

Quote:

Enough dissing the Ducks or whomever...what will be, will be.

I think the Oregon athletic program is appalling and should not get a pass.
really
Shocky1;842551228 said:

agreed

Recruiting top players is hard enough. The coaches put a lot more time and effort into it than you do; and I assume from your posts that you support their efforts and hope for their continued success. Try not to make the coaches job any harder than is has to be.

From family & friends with recruits in different sports, I've learned that (unlike almost all (sane) coaches) parents and prospective athletes do read school message boards, and negative comments have more influence than positive ones, with tone being as or more important than the substance. It follows logically that the more negative, antagonistic or inflammatory the comment, the greater potential it has for having a lasting influence. Also, I've learned that high school age athletes often consider unexpected factors in deciding on the "feel" they get from a school -- everything from coaches remembering their pet's name, to the candy they were offered by teammates -- in addition to more obvious ones like academics & team rankings.

Now I'm sure it's safe to assume that you don't know all the little things that just might seem important or offensive to all of the recruits out there and their families and friends. On the other hand, it seems safe that Cal coaches and admissions have covered all the big topics (don't worry, I'm sure they know Cal was rated the #1 public U) and highlighted all the positives they felt important (you do trust the coaches to do their jobs, right?). Passionate fans and alumni make Cal a great place to play and attend. I'm sure the coaches do a good job of positively conveying this to recruits as well.

So If you actually want great players to keep coming to Cal, why would you risk doing anything (even if it's just a minor risk) that could potentially negatively influence recruits? The coaches have done a great job putting together a hugely talented young team that is hopefully just another top recruit or two from becoming a powerhouse for a long time. They've identified the best players and the best fits to take Cal to the next level -- try not to do anything that might distract these stars from making the best decision possible based on where they will have the greatest chance to win and develop both as players and students.

Hopefully this implication is a little more clear....
Shocky1
really, did you know that the men's cal basketball team recently signed arguably the #1 ranked class in the united states, my self proclaimed diamond's are forever class (2015)?...coach gottlieb & her staff are also on the brink of competing for a national championship if sabrina ionescu commits to cal

i dunno but it's possible i know more about the high school recruiting process than you...really
http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?62260-cal-s-monster-class/page524

part of the cal experience (i take it you're not a grad) is the full expression of one unique individuality & views, it's ok if you don't agree with me

the successfully targeted & recruited 2015 class is intended to forever change the trajectory of the cal basketball program, to compete for national championships with high character true student athletes at the #1 public university in the world...coach martin & the staff are not interested in dumb azzs...these guys are elite immediate impact blue chippers with academic ambition, they are all truly diamonds in ways that extend far beyond playing basketball on a basketball court with a basketball...basketball does not define these diamonds

*****stephen domingo, #35 ranked player in the 2013 class

*****roman davis, top 150 player in the 2015 class

*****leo nikolayevich tolstoy, a late emerging 5 star euro recruit with an actionable offer from the cal staff...leo has got a 4.38 gpa & is considered a strong cal fit in that he is considered the considered the greatest writer ever in russian literature by rivals & scout...his significant production is tempered by his preference for making non violent resistance statements & questioning authority during time outs...lacks lateral mobility & is not a strong on ball defender primairly because he is dead...loves berkeley & is considered a cal lean by 24/7...jeff goodman is tweeting that tolstoy thinks "tucson is a dump"

*****jaylen brown, #1/#2 ranked player in the 2015 class
[IMG]https://nbccollegebasketballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwi5ztbkmtm4 mjdjmwviyjg3ogjjytdmnwm3mzhmzgrm.jpeg" />[/IMG]

*****ivan rabb, #1 ranked (prior to a minor summertime injury) player in the 2015 class

*****brandon mccartney aka lil b, a local berkeley product is known for runnin' his mouth & deadly curses...strong chemistry with jaylen brown but also a defensive liability as brandon chacuca has posted him up/abused him on the aau circuit in iso sets
[video=youtube;eU5PVFjsQG8][/video]

true california golden bears fans will be celebrating the magic of haas with their season tix(s) as them diamonds integrate with the hungry returning nucleus of guys...noted donuts expert sean miller said it best: "cal can win the national championship"

shine bright#
OdontoBear66
stu;842551356 said:

I did the same with my daughter. The liberal arts college she chose worked out very well, with small classes and professors focused on teaching. The teams sucked but she's always been a Cal fan.

Me too. I expect that's a common experience for community college teachers.

I think the Oregon athletic program is appalling and should not get a pass.

+1 on entire post. I think the athletic program is the problem and the focus here, the university, although not Cal affords a quality education. I too, have a friend who's grand daughter went to Oregon, and has a wonderful job in sports marketing in New York.
annarborbear
If a kid thinks they can handle the academics in a large university setting, and they want to do the work, then our academic standing and long-term job enhancement prospects are a real plus. If instead, they are looking for a softer set of requirements, and/or a smaller school, there are lots of other options. Our recent graduation rates are very strong. So it looks like the people that are coming here, and our coaches, are making good choices.
ClayK
You know, I think I should make one thing clear: Cal's education is superb, and it should be a factor in the decision-making process of any recruit who gets an offer.

How much of a factor, though, depends on the individual and the family, and every such equation will have different variables. I think I have overreacted to the claims that the educational component should be major for everyone, and that choosing Oregon, say, or Arizona, or St. Mary's, over Cal is in every case a significant mistake. All things being equal (which of course they never are), Cal's educational offerings should be a trump card. But, for example, if someone from the East Bay wants to get away from home, for whatever reason, then Cal is off the table; if someone from Arizona, say, wants to live in Northern California, then that's a big plus.
Shocky1
ClayK;842551862 said:

You know, I think I should make one thing clear: Cal's education is superb, and it should be a factor in the decision-making process of any recruit who gets an offer.

How much of a factor, though, depends on the individual and the family, and every such equation will have different variables. I think I have overreacted to the claims that the educational component should be major for everyone, and that choosing Oregon, say, or Arizona, or St. Mary's, over Cal is in every case a significant mistake. All things being equal (which of course they never are), Cal's educational offerings should be a trump card. But, for example, if someone from the East Bay wants to get away from home, for whatever reason, then Cal is off the table; if someone from Arizona, say, wants to live in Northern California, then that's a big plus.

if a kid from walnut creek graduates from cal (or harvard), they will be in a very strong position to live wherever in the world they want for the rest of their life

50 year decision#
Shocky1
sabrina, do you want to compete for a national championship with other mcdonald all americans including your friend kristine anigwe or do you want to be double (and possibly even triple) teamed while playing for a mid level at best pac 12 school & then watching the ncca tournament on tv?

ClayK
So you can predict the future?

You're sure that Cal will compete for the national championship? You're sure that Sabrina will get along with all her teammates? You're sure Oregon will not be that good?

All of these things you've posted may be true, and so may the advantages of a Cal education, but it's also possible that Sabrina, or anyone, could go to Oregon (or Arizona or St. Mary's or Loyola Marymount) and have a very satisfying basketball career, and live a full life with a degree from that school.
Shocky1
ClayK;842552283 said:

So you can predict the future?

You're sure that Cal will compete for the national championship? You're sure that Sabrina will get along with all her teammates? You're sure Oregon will not be that good?

All of these things you've posted may be true, and so may the advantages of a Cal education, but it's also possible that Sabrina, or anyone, could go to Oregon (or Arizona or St. Mary's or Loyola Marymount) and have a very satisfying basketball career, and live a full life with a degree from that school.

clayk, as you know, we all live in a highly competitive global economy that favors the well educated...sure you could get a degree from the walnut creek school of bartending & have a great career but the odds are against you, you know that, right?

harvard>>cal>>>>>>>>>>>>>ucla>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>washington>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>oregon>>ged

real talk#
BearlyLegal
Can see both sides here, but leaving basketball aside really is no contest as to what degree I would want my kids to have

For getting first job particularly Cal and Boalt degrees opened doors for me that were not open to others from schools not as well regarded

Of course five or ten years later a lot more important what you have done in your career than where you went to school.

But I have nephew that went to SF State and was able to get PHD from Columbia. Harder road to get there but can be done if you are willing to put in effort and have a few breaks in your favor
mbBear
Shocky1;842552151 said:

if a kid from walnut creek graduates from cal (or harvard), they will be in a very strong position to live wherever in the world they want for the rest of their life

50 year decision#

such an incredibly naive and blanket statement.
Shocky1
mbBear;842553000 said:

such an incredibly naive and blanket statement.

says the poster from bala cynwyd

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world
wifeisafurd
Factos used by female basketball players in selecting colleges (this is from a survey of all players in D1 conducted by North Texas U, in order:

1) Availability of scholarship
2) Geography
3) Team ranking
4) Degree offered and academics
5) University facilities
6) Head coach

In a joint FSU/Norfolk study:

1) availability of major or program in close proximity to home
2) head coach
3) career opportunities after graduation (somewhat related to number 1)
4) Social atmosphere of team

BTW least considerations were diversity, religious, public or private affiliation, friends, and media coverage.

These studies have severe limitations because they are based on self-reported surveys and include all D! players, not just the top players.

Moreover, per NCAA studies (so take this with a grain of salt) 44% of D! women players thing they will professional basketball, when the reality is 1.3% actually play the pro game. You would think with those numbers, playing time and program success would be larger factors. Then consider several economists have completed studies on top rated football players, and found the most significant correlations were geographic proximity, the largest stadium, and dollars spent on facilities. For studies that dealt with surveys of high school players, all of a sudden availability of major and career opportunities matter most. So there is a disconnect in these studies, at least when talking about football. I suspect women there is a similar (but less) disconnect, and the success of the basketball program matters more than high school women being polled let on. Its just that no one has done an empirical study on top women's basketball recruits. So Cal also needs to push its success, facilities, and its geographic proximity if the empirical studies (not self-serving surveys) on top football players apply to top rated women's basketball players.
Schroeder71
wifeisafurd: excellent objective view point of the myriad of factors that can go into a recruits final decision. Let [Ionescu] it be...Que sera, sera.
I'll keep my fingers crossed. GO BEARS!
OBear073akaSMFan
Schroeder71;842553047 said:

wifeisafurd: excellent objective view point of the myriad of factors that can go into a recruits final decision. Let [Ionescu] it be...Que sera, sera.
I'll keep my fingers crossed. GO BEARS!

Yes. As I said earlier Ionescu at this time has all the facts on Cal. The ball really is in her court now, to make the "right" decision!
mbBear
Shocky1;842553011 said:

says the poster from bala cynwyd

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

Cal '79..former pres. of local Philly Alumni chapter....anything else you like to add?
Did the "Bala Cynwyd" give me more credibility, is that what you meant?
Shocky1
mbBear;842553229 said:

Cal '79..former pres. of local Philly Alumni chapter....anything else you like to add?
Did the "Bala Cynwyd" give me more credibility, is that what you meant?

only if you're a member of merion and/or pine valley
ClayK
A couple things:

1) Does that 1.3% of pro players include overseas professional play? A lot of young women feel they might like to spend a year or two in Europe or Australia or wherever playing basketball, even at a low level, for the experience.

2) Elite players have a different priority list than non-elite players. A player like Sabrina is going to have a different viewpoint on her college choice than a player who is thinking about choosing between a low-level D1 program and a D2 or D3 program. Of course, every decision is eventually individual, but a player like Sabrina -- who barring disaster can make a significant amount of money playing basketball and perhaps turn it into a career -- is going to look at things differently than a player who knows she's not an elite player and wants to be a veterinarian.

3) And blanket statements are always dangerous. For some, going to a huge school in an urban area in Northern California won't offset whatever advantages might accrue from getting an English degree at Cal. For others, the prestige of that degree is worth a lot -- but for both, no one can say whether or not the school on the diploma is a 50-year decision, a five-year decision or basically irrelevant.
wifeisafurd
ClayK;842553722 said:

A couple things:

1) Does that 1.3% of pro players include overseas professional play? A lot of young women feel they might like to spend a year or two in Europe or Australia or wherever playing basketball, even at a low level, for the experience.

2) Elite players have a different priority list than non-elite players. A player like Sabrina is going to have a different viewpoint on her college choice than a player who is thinking about choosing between a low-level D1 program and a D2 or D3 program. Of course, every decision is eventually individual, but a player like Sabrina -- who barring disaster can make a significant amount of money playing basketball and perhaps turn it into a career -- is going to look at things differently than a player who knows she's not an elite player and wants to be a veterinarian.

3) And blanket statements are always dangerous. For some, going to a huge school in an urban area in Northern California won't offset whatever advantages might accrue from getting an English degree at Cal. For others, the prestige of that degree is worth a lot -- but for both, no one can say whether or not the school on the diploma is a 50-year decision, a five-year decision or basically irrelevant.

According to Inside Education, the NCAA says .9 play in the WNBA at some point, leaving .4 that only play foreign ball. These are NCAA numbers so again I caution to take same with a grain of salt. The bottom line is that such a large group of D1 college players (of either gender) think they will play at the next level and don't means these players are being sold unrealistic expectations. I asked TVD about 4 years ago what her players do after college, and she said essentially all become professionals (e.g., lawyers, doctors, professors, etc) and that it was rare that any chose basketball for a living. Now asking a Stanford coach that question might draw a different response than a coach at some other schools, but I think the point is made, and I would expect a similar response from LG, and maybe even Gino (btw, Gino for all is strangeness, has an incredible grad rate and really pushes academics).

Subject to the above clarification, I don't take issue with your comments.
califan
Inside Edition, well that explains it!!!! JK but thats what I thought it said when I first read your post :p
bobbk
At last look Stanford had about 12 still playing. 6 WNBA.

Edit 15 total
Shocky1
Shocky1;842566656 said:

us news is ranking cal #3 in their 2015 collegiate world rankings

a cal degree is like a winning lottery ticket, it will open an unlimited number of doors in the future in your quest to achieve your dreams & goals in life...today's highly competitive global marketplace favors those that are well educated, that's just the way it is...if you go to an academically mediocre school & get injured you are ******, that's why you got to be mentally limitless

but you gotta have academic ambition to graduate from cal, are you willing to do the work?

50 year decision#

sabrina, where are them other schools you're considering in the world collegiate rankings?

with a 3.5 gpa at the academically rigorous miramonte hs you definitely got academic ambition

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.