sabrina ionescu

149,337 Views | 549 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
bearchamp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I also stated, based on what I saw on tv tonight.
orindabear74
bearchamp;842671637 said:

Just watched Miramonte in the State finals. I don't think Sabrina is the answer to any of Cal's needs, based on this performance. She didn't show great skills, outside shooting or athleticism. She does see the floor. Doesn't look like she can guard D-I point guards.

Seriously? Yeah, and Brown isn't a 1st round talent.
concordtom
bearchamp;842671637 said:

Just watched Miramonte in the State finals. I don't think Sabrina is the answer to any of Cal's needs, based on this performance. She didn't show great skills, outside shooting or athleticism. She does see the floor. Doesn't look like she can guard D-I point guards.

Hate to say it, but I agree.
concordtom
MoragaBear;842671645 said:

Lol the rest of the world disagrees.

How many players have a triple double on an off night against 2 top 20 players and a top team?

As for not being able to guard top point guards, she's likely amongst the state leaders in steals playing a top 40 SOS.

24-10-10.
And how many turnovers?
What shooting stats?

None of this matters. I'll forever be a Sabrina fan.
Go Mats forever!
Schroeder71
bearchamp-you're entitled to your opinion. Tonight was the initial time that I had a chance to see Ionescu play a live game and I had a mixed opinion. I do not think that she has enough speed to be a point guard. Sabrina could not dribble past or around her defenders to bring the ball up the court. The good thing that she does is that she looks to pass over the top of the press.

Her strength is her passing ability which is good enough for her to play Div I ball, IMO. Her three point shooting was way off the mark tonight. She has a nice floater driving baseline or down the key. She has some unique under-handed finishes, too. She hit one medium range jump shot. Her triple double was impressive with 24 points, 10 assists and 10 rebounds. I think that she could play off guard...Chaminade back-doored Miramonte probably 5 times for layups. Once was Ionescu's man. She turned the ball over multiple times, too.

Did Cal offer Odom (Duke recruit)? She dominated the game tonight w/ 30 points & 15 rebounds (man y were offensive put backs). Her hops reminded me of Genn Brandon although Miramonte had nobody taller than 6 feet... Great comeback by the Mats from 20 points down to take the lead. They probably ran out of gas climbing back up the hill...Don't get me wrong-I'll be happy if Ionescu pledges allegiance to Cal. However, she is not anywhere close to the dominant player that I thought she was (#3 best player in the nation?). She possesses the bball IQ but lacks the speed and athleticism to be a super star. I did not see Kelsey Plum in her this evening. Perhaps she'll develop in college. GO BEARS!
MoragaBear
Staff
Classic case of making sweeping assumptions based on limited viewing.

She's got consistent NBA 3-point range, is an amazingly heady player with incredible vision, has consistently well-rounded stats -scoring, rebounding, assists, steals and blocks- and plays well against virtually everyone she faces, no matter who the competition is. She's played on the U.S. National team at two different age levels. I could go on and on.

Anyone assuming because she doesn't play fast that she won't be be a good to great player at the next level, whether at the point or 2, is well off the mark. She has a very deliberate style that's almost impossible to stop for very long and she's done it at a high level from day one as a freshman.
concordtom
MoragaBear;842671680 said:

She's got consistent NBA 3-point range, is an amazingly heady player with incredible vision, has consistently well-rounded stats -scoring, rebounding, assists, steals and blocks- and plays well against virtually everyone she faces, no matter who the competition is. She's played on the U.S. National team at two different age levels. I could go on and on.

Anyone assuming because she doesn't play fast that she won't be be a good to great player at the next level, whether at the point or 2, is well off the mark. She has a very deliberate style that's almost impossible to stop for very long and she's done it at a high level from day one as a freshman.

I'll grant this - her teammates made nice plays, shots, but it was clear that chaminade was hounding her with pressure all the time and allowing the others to beat them, and she seemed very tired as a result.
There's been a ton of pub on her, and I think expectations were that Michael Jordan was coming to town. She definitely played well, but couldn't match the hype, in this game. And it IS a team sport, so that's not exactly fair.
jyamada

She definitely has some skills on offense and she could be a really good player at the next level. She seems to be a step slow but I think she's heady enough to play pretty solid defense, if she chooses to do so. The one thing I noticed last night and it's probably more on the coach, is she would try and go for steals in the backcourt after Chaminade would get a rebound......possibly creating fast break layups at the other end. I'd prefer she just hustle back on defense, especially in this game. Could be this is how she rests during the game but this is how Miramonte got in such a deep early hole, IMHO.
3Cats4CAL

I agree. Also maybe looking for/finding any possible deficiencies in SI's game serves to try to help lessen the disappointment if SI (likely) chooses not to come to CAL. :gobears::gobears::gobears:
annarborbear
I think she will be an excellent scorer and facilitator in college. But there are some questions about her defense. Hate to say it, but she is probably an ideal fit for the Oregon State system.
ClayK
Interesting comments ...

*She had 10 turnovers, giving her a quadruple double.
*I don't think anyone sees her as a point guard at the next level -- she's a two guard who has range and go inside (and doesn't fear contact).
*The big question is about quickness, at both ends of the floor
*I was talking to a guy who hadn't seen Sabrina or Odom before, but knows a lot about basketball. He said "I like Sabrina better because she's a complete player. Odom is a better athlete, but I don't think she's a better player."

As with any young player, it's very hard to predict exactly how it will play out. I think Sabrina has a very high ceiling, as she's never wavered in her love for and commitment to the game, and she plays and practices hard every time out. That said, it could be that she's just a little too slow to be an elite player in the Pac-12 and has to "settle" for being a role-playing three-point shooter for a year or two before becoming a solid starter for a good team as a junior and senior.

Also, since she's operating with borderline elite athleticism in terms of quickness, a leg or back injury could prove to be more damaging to her than to a player like Odom, say, who has some margin for error in that area. Odom, though, lacks Sabrina's skills, and up to this point, her durability.
bobbk
First of all Gottlieb was there watching Ionescu. This is the first time I e see. Her play HS but maybe 9 times travel. I thought she was outstanding last night and do each time I see her. Wish she was coming to Stanford. Higgins who is Ionescu's travel teammate very good. # 16 player In The country but not at Sabrina's level. I had never seen Odum before but wow. Incredible. I love Ionescu's game
OBear073akaSMFan
bobbk;842671792 said:

First of all Gottlieb was there watching Ionescu. This is the first time I e see. Her play HS but maybe 9 times travel. I thought she was outstanding last night and do each time I see her. Wish she was coming to Stanford. Higgins who is Ionescu's travel teammate very good. # 16 player In The country but not at Sabrina's level. I had never seen Odum before but wow. Incredible. I love Ionescu's game

We have extra scholarships galore. We need people with many of her skill sets that I feel would compliment our team well. Every player on our team currently have weaknesses too. We need her, which I feel will improve our recruiting for future years too.
unreal
All I want to say (and man is there a ton of material in this thread) is that I can directly confirm that Sabrina's dad has read this thread (and perhaps will come back to it). He told me about this thread in a conversation today. I'm not saying this with regard to Sabrina (really I think this applies to all recruits) but what we say here is a data point to how they think about the fan base and even to some extent the culture of the school. So that was a learning for me, even though many have said it before on this board.
blungld
Unfortunately, not everyone with stated opinions on a thread like this is actually a Cal fan. And many that participate are also "sports fans" first who have adopted Cal as a team to root for or just have strong opinions about, but who do not necessarily reflect the culture or mindset of the University and student body. Some of these "jocks" and adoptive fans can have boorish opinions at times that can reflect poorly on the fanbase as a whole--the internet being what it is where all must have extreme and unmitigated opinions.
concordtom
Nothing has changed.
I really hope Sabrina goes to Cal. So I can root for her!
Local girl makes good Go Mats!
wifeisafurd
We always go through this. This is an internet site which means you pay your money, you say what you want. Not matter whether your a Cal fan, knowledgeable on the sport, or a complete doofus. Parents should get that. Jard Goff was berated and loved on every Cal internet site, and the guy is considered a great kid. And this school is lot less worse than most others. Don't go on any UCLA men's basketball internet site currently for example. My comment to parents is stay off the internet or grow very thick skin.
OdontoBear66
wifeisafurd;842671882 said:

We always go through this. This is an internet site which means you pay your money, you say what you want. Not matter whether your a Cal fan, knowledgeable on the sport, or a complete doofus. Parents should get that. Jard Goff was berated and loved on every Cal internet site, and the guy is considered a great kid. And this school is lot less worse than most others. Don't go on any UCLA men's basketball internet site currently for example. My comment to parents is stay off the internet or grow very thick skin.

100% spot on Wifeisafurd......This site is very, very tame compared to most, and also very forgiving---just look how the fanbase treats recruits who ask out of their LOIs....Most fan bases would post nothing but smack. BearInsider is 50/50 forgiving and accusing.
HoopDreams
There is a direct correlation between the comments on sports boards depending on when you go there

After a win, after a loss, during a 3 game winning streak, when a team exceeds expectations but is nevertheless weak, or visa versa
MoragaBear
Staff
Also, when a program thinks or knows they're in the lead for a key recruit, it's almost 100% positive comments. But when a program starts to feel they're losing out on a recruit or actually know that they are, the more critical comments come out, pretty much on every board for every school.

And then there are the posts by people that are marginal fans of the program or fans of other programs that post that muddy the waters for anyone assuming that everyone posting is a fan of the team who's board they're on.

I don't know if Cal fans are more critical or judgmental than other fans but I've been on Oregon's boards in various sports when things aren't going well and it's not pretty, so I hardly think it's exclusive to us here at Bear Insider. Nonetheless, many people should think and get their emotions in check before posting sometimes.
ClayK
I think a lot of the particularly irrational posts come after shot number two of Patron.
BearBint
MoragaBear;842671920 said:

I don't know if Cal fans are more critical or judgmental than other fans but I've been on Oregon's boards in various sports when things aren't going well and it's not pretty, so I hardly think it's exclusive to us here at Bear Insider. Nonetheless, many people should think and get their emotions in check before posting sometimes.

How I agree with you, M.B. (And with Clay's recent comment re. Patron.) Internet boards were not built for strong negative emotion and sloppy phrasing, and even constructive criticism can come across as arrogance and/or dislike.
dajo9
ClayK;842671931 said:

I think a lot of the particularly irrational posts come after shot number two of Patron.

My worst posts have been in that category.

I would recommend no family or friend of players read these boards. It is all about emotion. Hell hath no fury like a college sports fan scorned.

Folks here overwhelmingly love SI's game and would love for her to come to Cal.
GOLDEN
dajo9;842672002 said:

My worst posts have been in that category.

I would recommend no family or friend of players read these boards. It is all about emotion. Hell hath no fury like a college sports fan scorned.

Folks here overwhelmingly love SI's game and would love for her to come to Cal.

LOL, Now half the fans here seem to not want her at CAL? Who in the hell is on the horizon now? A Hungarian point guard or another European out there? Is it because some see the hand writing on the wall that it is a coping mechanism? Remember Calstar players read boards too.....Westbrook is a friend of Sabrinas.
BearsObserver
https://twitter.com/evan_b/status/713904541016526850?lang=en
dajo9
GOLDEN;842672033 said:

LOL, Now half the fans here seem to not want her at CAL? Who in the hell is on the horizon now? A Hungarian point guard or another European out there? Is it because some see the hand writing on the wall that it is a coping mechanism? Remember Calstar players read boards too.....Westbrook is a friend of Sabrinas.

Yes, it's a coping mechanism and all fan bases are guilty. All in all I think Cal is much more rational than most.
GOLDEN
dajo9;842672063 said:

Yes, it's a coping mechanism and all fan bases are guilty. All in all I think Cal is much more rational than most.

True, lets have some optimism
HoopDreams
I for one would love to have sabrina come to Cal, but from what I hear, we are not lead
I think she would ignite a young team that needs a talented guard to become an elite team
However, with OSU's success (and Oregon even winning the WNIT and her brother) it just seems like an uphill climb
I don't think people are down on her, just see the writing on the wall
hope we are all wrong

[video=youtube;Fb8se1dOavk][/video]

p.s. her team came up one game short of winning the state championship, but they had a great season
GOLDEN
HoopDreams;842672125 said:

I for one would love to have sabrina come to Cal, but from what I hear, we are not lead
I think she would ignite a young team that needs a talented guard to become an elite team
However, with OSU's success (and Oregon even winning the WNIT and her brother) it just seems like an uphill climb
I don't think people are down on her, just see the writing on the wall
hope we are all wrong

[video=youtube;Fb8se1dOavk][/video]

p.s. her team came up one game short of winning the state championship, but they had a great season

I know but....
3Cats4CAL
bobbk;842671792 said:

So do we think Coach Gottlieb was there specifically trying to still recruit Si till the very last minute (meaning maybe we still have a good chance at landing her) or to also check out any other possible potential recruits?
ClayK
There weren't any other games to go to, so why not? Who knows? Maybe Odom will want to come back to California at some point, or Cynthia Cooper will drive Higgins away. Worth the trip ...
wifeisafurd
Why not Cal? SI is an elite 5 star player. Even the best of high school players are almost never complete players (for those knocking her defense). She may seem slower on defense because she needs to work on defensive footwork. Nothing coaching can't cure. She has a huge upside. Gottlieb has to sell Cal against some worthy opponents. She can sell Cal does need someone with the skills SI has developed, that Cal has skilled players to join her, has higher rated academics, is the local school, etc. Earn the coffee LG.
bearchamp
People here say some don't want Sabrina: not my take. The only critical comments are assessments of her based on the championship game. Several comments early on that she is the "key" to Cal getting to the Final Four. Several people here don't see her as that impactful. She certainly can play and would be an asset, but some here don't see her as a game changer.
MoragaBear
Staff
3Cats4CAL;842672150 said:

So do we think Coach Gottlieb was there specifically trying to still recruit Si till the very last minute (meaning maybe we still have a good chance at landing her) or to also check out any other possible potential recruits?

Lindsay's been at lots of Sabrina's games. This is nothing new.
concordtom
3Cats4CAL;842672150 said:

It's what you do.
State Championship game? You go.
Hell, I almost went myself, just to see some good ball, and it's not my job to do so.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.