My President

75,315 Views | 811 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Pentagon chief opposes Trump threat to deploy military at protests

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/03/george-floyd-mark-esper-opposes-trump-threat-deploy-military?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

" Esper has directly challenged Trump," Thomas Wright, director of the centre on the United States and Europe on the Brookings Institution, said on Twitter. "Trump hates being boxed in. If he fires Esper, it could set in motion a crisis that may lead to a wider revolt within the GOP."
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
bearister said:

If he fires Esper, it could set in motion a crisis that may lead to a wider revolt within the GOP."
Or they'll just fall in line as usual. Vote them all out.
Anarchistbear
Right, like all the other Generals he already fired- Mattis, McMasters and Kelly. Nobody cares about Generals
bearister
Anarchistbear said:

Right, like all the other Generals he already fired- Mattis, McMasters and Kelly. Nobody cares about Generals

bearister
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

for those of you sheltering in place still, this is an excellent movie for its genre.
bearister

Bobodeluxe
A unifying message from Great Leader
bearister
Bobodeluxe said:

"You will die, and the last thing you think of will be not loved ones or friends, but me, Donald J. Trump. That's because I own your thoughts. Thank you. God bless you, and God bless the United States of America."
smh
Bobodeluxe said:

tears, but not a good way. tnx BoboD
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
B.A. Bearacus
James Mattis:

"Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people -- does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us," Mattis wrote. "We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership," he wrote, adding that he "watched this week's unfolding events, angry and appalled."
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Divider in chief.

His law and order message will far better received than is perceived on this site.
We all have our bubbles. We all see things based on our peers. IMO, your generation still expects that following generations will ultimately view things the way yours does. I think that it may be better received among your peers, but not nearly so much among mine and definitely not among those younger than me. No major leader has taken the line to go out and shoot protesters. The views of law enforcement in the 60's have been rejected as ineffective for decades. I don't think Gen-X and younger are going to be nearly as susceptible to this message than you think.

I could definitely be wrong. We shall see.
I'm assuming we can agree that he gave an incredibly divisive speech?

As to your main point, for the last decade I kept hearing that demographic changes will mean a change in government and policy, and yet here we are. My favorite is demographic changes will make Texas a blue state - heard that one for 20 years plus running now. The generation discussion is strange. The generation above me was in the streets demonstrating in college against war and social injustice, yet they have turned conservative. We were not exactly a conservative bastion when I went to Cal, but again wherever my generation (whatever it is called - trail or post boomers?) also became more conservative. I mean I have black and gay friends who voted for Trump. so yes we all have bubbles and generational stuff.

As for the younger - and I assume younger voters are you talking about, let me quote Churchill: "If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."

The question for you is do our voting patterns really change drastically as we age and if that's the case, will Millennials be the generation that bucks the trend by not becoming more conservative as they get older?

Some Pew stuff since I know you ardently read polls:

"In 2007, 68 percent of that generation's respondents wanted "a bigger government providing more services." That number for Millennials dipped to 57 percent ten years later still the largest percentage among any demographic, but also the only generation to show a decreased interest in the idea of bigger government.
Following other generations, Millennials are also more likely to say it's important to protect the rights of Americans to own guns than to control gun ownership (27 percent in 2007, 43 percent in 2017). As well, support for government aid for the needy has decreased, although support for gay marriage, marijuana legalization and abortion has increased for Millennials over the past ten years. Somewhat of a mixed bag on the wedge issue. The generation still leans more Democratic. That mixed bag may reflect the increased racial and ethnic diversity in younger generations 40 percent of Millennials are non-white, the highest share among the adult generations. So I don't know either.

But I suspect there is a large portion of the population this played very well with, as well as those impacted directly by the rioting and looting. There are a lot more of Hankie's pictures than those shown by Okaydo on the internet. TV was absurd. Two nights ago all they showed on every LA station was revolving shots of violent demonstrators and property burning. For hours. Maybe there is a more diverse view on public radio (thought they had a lot of angry callers about the police not protecting their cities from rioters). Let me repspectfully submit to you this site is not representative.

WIAF - I wanted to come back to this in thinking about it more.

Again, older generations control the questions and the definitions. That doesn't make them the right questions. The fake Churchill quote just isn't at play on this issue.

What older people define as "liberal" and "conservative" are not the end all. They tend to maintain the definitions of their youth whether they are inherently accurate. Gun rights are not inherently liberal or conservative.

Millenials and particularly Zoomers have some specific characteristics that are holding. They are less religious for instance.

But maybe the biggest point is they do not believe in sorting individuals by labels. They eschew male and female classifications and characteristics. Even young conservative Christians and Evangelicals are challenging church leaders who they believe are too willing to divide over religious grouping or issues. And they were raised to learn about people by getting to know them and not making shorthand assumptions based on identity characteristics. They have a strong sense that the prior generations have done that too much. I would say they differ from even my Gen-X generation in that way. They do not look at police killing a Black man and immediately ask what he did to deserve it. They are very sensitive to unequal treatment. And this is true across political spectrum.

The younger generations also are a lot more likely to talk through issues than to accept that might makes right. They were specifically raised against that point.

I'll give you an anecdotal point that hit me how different my kids' upbringing is from mine. I was talking to my daughter about some school issues lately. Last year in response to the school shootings some parents had pushed hard for an armed school resource officer. The students were overwhelmingly and vehemently opposed. It really didn't make sense for their school, But in the course of the conversation I said they already had people that could break up fights. Her response was "fights? No one would have a fist fight. They would be humiliated and the rest of the student body would be all over them for being so stupid.

I don't know about you, WIAF, but for me growing up in a white, upper middle class area, I doubt there were many days in my K-12 career where there wasn't a fist fight somewhere at the school. And usually a lot of people went running to watch.

Liberal or conservative, I don't think you are going to get a lot of support from younger generations for going in with military and laying down the law. I think the response you are going to get is "when has that ever worked?"

Polls so far are not indicating support for the police over the protesters on this and I don't think they are going to change. And frankly, unlike ever before we are seeing widespread coverage of police engaging in tactics that are either instigating or making matters worse. That is something protesters in the sixties couldn't do. I think you will find that Trump's approach will appeal to people who were already voting for him.
okaydo

Eastern Oregon Bear
okaydo said:

Maybe Trump has a good reason for believing in widespread voter fraud after all.
sycasey
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

okaydo said:

Maybe Trump has a good reason for believing in widespread voter fraud after all.
You can virtually guarantee that when he calls out someone else for doing something bad, it's something he is also doing himself.
AunBear89
sycasey said:

<other quotes snip>You can virtually guarantee that when he calls out someone else for doing something bad, it's something he is also doing himself.

SOP for Republicon politicians, candidates, and lockstep voters. They all assume "Hey, if we are doing it all the time, the other side must be, too!"
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
Go!Bears
bearister said:

Would I love to read her prenup (and its amendments)?
calbear93
Go!Bears said:

bearister said:

She clearly fell for his dashing figure.
bearister
calbear93 said:

Go!Bears said:

bearister said:

When she was growing up in spring they made meat helmets and played with mushrooms.
NYCGOBEARS
I know Mike Mullen. This is a big deal. He once told me that he'd been apolitical his entire career and it wasn't appropriate to comment on politicians when I asked him his opinion on Trump.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/american-cities-are-not-battlespaces/612553/
B.A. Bearacus
Mullen ends with: "This is not the time for stunts. This is the time for leadership."

He forgot one final sentence: "For these reasons, we need someone else in charge ASAP."
bearister
Trump's Military Threats Against Protesters Could Be the Beginning of the End of American Democracy

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/06/03/trump-military-george-floyd-protests/

" One wonders, did Esper and Barr know that hundreds of peaceful U.S. citizens had been attacked by riot police just minutes before, their civil right massively violated just to set the stage for their picture? Did it occur to them that in posing with the president and the Bible he held in front of a church, ostensibly calling down the authority of God on this cause, they were violating the spirit of one of the most important strictures in America, the separation of church and state? And if federal troops are indeed dispatched into the states to take action against American civilians, where does the Bible and the Christian God figure into the president's deployment order? The framers of the Constitution intended the separation for a reason, and the commander in chief just trampled it."
John Allen is president of the Brookings Institution, a retired U.S. Marine Corps four-star general, and former commander of the NATO International Security Assistance Force and U.S. Forces in Afghanistan.
Eastern Oregon Bear
calbear93 said:

Go!Bears said:

bearister said:

More likely his dashing 10 or 11 figures.
going4roses
"This is why we need organization of thought and action more than ever. The fascists in power have a three fold agenda. One, to distract from their failed regime. Two, to rally their white nationalist base. Three, to project power and competence. Essentially violent protest plays right into their hands. "
Big C
NYCGOBEARS said:

I know Mike Mullen. This is a big deal. He once told me that he'd been apolitical his entire career and it wasn't appropriate to comment on politicians when I asked him his opinion on Trump.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/american-cities-are-not-battlespaces/612553/

This past week. it seems as though Trump's support within the elite of his party is beginning to crumble like I hadn't seen in the previous 3 1/2 years. It's like they had a meeting in a smoke-filled zoom-room or something and decided maybe they don't want to commit political suicide with this guy. Or maybe even their conscience is catching up with them, finally.

Trump's managed to CONSISTENTLY make the wrong moves over the past few months. A broken clock could do better. Frankly, I think he's toast and the end might even come sooner, rather than later... somehow. It might get ugly.
okaydo
"Mr. President, tear down this wall."

smh
Big C said:

It might get ugly.
might? MIGHT?? imo BigC that ship sailed months ago, or more than once.
dajo9
okaydo said:

This is going to make for a great photo op when My President, Biden, leads the demolition crew
okaydo
dajo9 said:

okaydo said:

This is going to make for a great photo op when My President, Biden, leads the demolition crew

This is such an easy photo op.

Hope Biden goes there soon to dunk on Trump.
smh
best i can tell xxxx got there a few minutes first, practically a photo finish, sorry xxxx but..
BOOTH !

^^^ falsely accused,, "new" cybers bbs somehow confuses this senior.
-----------------------
re-historical Boothing..

the oldest found is this'n, in reply to dearest semi-co-founder Calfans.
wayback in 2009

partly related bonus content: where'd my pictures go??
Eastern Oregon Bear
okaydo said:

Is Mexico paying for this new big beautiful wall??

Upon further reflection, I expect Trump will make the District of Columbia pay for it.
bearister

Until I saw the above tweet I did not realize that Gen. McChrystal and tRump had crossed swords...it makes sense, however, in light of the fact McChrystal is a major baller as a warrior ( McChrystal is reported to run 7 to 8 miles daily, eat one meal per day, and sleep four hours a night) and Cadet Bone Spurs a major baller as a coward.

Trump attacks McChrystal after retired general called Trump immoral - CNNPolitics

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/01/politics/trump-tweet-mcchrystal/index.html
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/01/01/politics/trump-tweet-mcchrystal/index.html

blungld
sycasey said:

You can virtually guarantee that when he calls out someone else for doing something bad, it's something he is also doing himself.
Or, ONLY doing it himself.

His accused are most often not doing it at all. He has stated that this is straight strategy taught to him by Cohn (and that Putin and all authoritarians practice): accuse others what you do yourself and NEVER admit the truth even when it is impossible for others to NOT see that you are lying. The loyalists will always come around to believe YOUR truth not the truth.

Witness daily on these boards.
Big C
smh said:

Big C said:

It might get ugly.
might? MIGHT?? imo BigC that ship sailed months ago, or more than once.

Yeah, 2020's been an ugly mess, for sure, but I'm referring to when Trump leaves office. I think there's a chance it might even happen before next January 20th. His support seems to be eroding, daily.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.