My President

75,332 Views | 811 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
BearlyCareAnymore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NYCGOBEARS said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

Can we agree that credibility is important in journalism? Can we agree that if we cannot trust journalists to tell us the truth, we are left vulnerable to believing propaganda and conspiracy as truth?

Can we also agree that Trump will make so many errors that we do not need to compromise our integrity to make him look bad?

Have you heard the full speech? In what context was Trump saying this? About jobs or about efforts to provide equal protection?

Granted he is tone deaf and no one is viewing him as a promoter of equal protection and justice for all, but do these journalists not care that even one instance of spreading false message for a quick gotcha means what they say in the future will be discounted? For what?

I honestly would like to know. Who does this help?

More dangerous both sidesism here. Who exactly is the arbitrator of journalistic integrity in an era of profound gaslighting and outright lies? Trump long ago lost any benefit of any doubt. Neither he nor his machine will play by the rules.

No more profoundly divisive or thoroughly corrupt figure has ever had such national prominence. The time for truth and reconciliation will come after his defeat and the ouster of all his enabling sycophants from our government.

I am not advocating that we believe everything we hear or see. That sort of confirmation bias is dangerous and is a root of our common problems. I do trust, and pray like hell, that the vast majority of Americans can now clearly see the cancer that Trumpism is and will cut it out of our body politic before it kills us. Because as it stands, we are in grave peril.
Look guys. You are killing me. I had "gaslighting" in the Bearinsider drinking game and I'm trying to avoid dying of alcohol poisoning here.
82gradDLSdad
OaktownBear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

Can we agree that credibility is important in journalism? Can we agree that if we cannot trust journalists to tell us the truth, we are left vulnerable to believing propaganda and conspiracy as truth?

Can we also agree that Trump will make so many errors that we do not need to compromise our integrity to make him look bad?

Have you heard the full speech? In what context was Trump saying this? About jobs or about efforts to provide equal protection?

Granted he is tone deaf and no one is viewing him as a promoter of equal protection and justice for all, but do these journalists not care that even one instance of spreading false message for a quick gotcha means what they say in the future will be discounted? For what?

More dangerous both sidesism here. Who exactly is the arbitrator of journalistic integrity in an era of profound gaslighting and outright lies? Trump long ago lost any benefit of any doubt. Neither he nor his machine will play by the rules.

No more profoundly divisive or thoroughly corrupt figure has ever had such national prominence. The time for truth and reconciliation will come after his defeat and the ouster of all his enabling sycophants from our government.

I am not advocating that we believe everything we hear or see. That sort of confirmation bias is dangerous and is a root of our common problems. I do trust, and pray like hell, that the vast majority of Americans can now clearly see the cancer that Trumpism is and will cut it out of our body politic before it kills us. Because as it stands, we are in grave peril.
Look guys. You are killing me. I had "gaslighting" in the Bearinsider drinking game and I'm trying to avoid dying of alcohol poisoning here.
BearlyCareAnymore
NYCGOBEARS said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

I do have to point out, 93, that the tweet you are responding to did not do what you are saying. I acknowledge that some news sources did, but this one did not. Maybe you assumed that everyone is upset because they think the quote is tied to unemployment so the emotion underlying the tweet was based on that. I assure you at least in my case, that is not what was upsetting.
calbear93
NYCGOBEARS said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

The time for truth and reconciliation will come after his defeat and the ouster of all his enabling sycophants from our government.

I think we need now more than ever for truth and true science to reign over expedient propaganda, deception and compromises over facts.

I think the journalist are falling into Trump's trap. He called the media enemies and they decided to play his game. He is better at this and he doesn't have the integrity to compromise. This is not the time for journalist, scientists or healthcare professionals to compromise their integrity. There was no need for journalists to mislead the public. This was not going to be a one shot opportunity to make Trump look bad. If journalist continue to shade the truth and make compromises too much, people will start thinking there really is fake news on both sides, and the news' standing as the fourth estate is pretty much over.

This is no different from healthcare experts who allowed politics to poison facts and science. Saying science dictates people avoid having burial services for their loved ones, allow businesses to fail and people to lose their jobs because of COVid-19, and then now say it is OK to ignore prior guidance when protesting, they are proving the others right that this SIP was just politics. Yes, we started reopening but when there is the next pandemic where we will need clear guidance from the experts, people will remember this and not trust science. That is disastrous. We need these journalist, scientists and health care professionals to value their professional integrity above all because if facts stated by them start becoming irrelevant, we are all worse off. And saying Trump is the worst of all (which he may be) is not going to help us. We need grown ups to be grown ups.

I would ask others to read this and think about how expedient compromises like this will have long term impact on our country. When we cannot even trust scientists and healthcare experts, we are lost.

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/magazine/2020/06/04/public-health-protests-301534?__twitter_impression=true
calbear93
OaktownBear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

I do have to point out, 93, that the tweet you are responding to did not do what you are saying. I acknowledge that some news sources did, but this one did not. Maybe you assumed that everyone is upset because they think the quote is tied to unemployment so the emotion underlying the tweet was based on that. I assure you at least in my case, that is not what was upsetting.

Looks at the chyron. Misleading when juxtaposed with the tweet. But yes, when watching MSNBC yesterday, I was blown away by the level of misleading coverage on the context in which Trump brought up Floyd. Do they think we are all to lazy to listen to the full speech? And it was all self-inflicted wound to their credibility with no true incremental value. Trump is killing his re-election chances with his thin skin reactions and he doesn't need more avenue to distract the public with claims of fake news.

But I agree. He has lost his chance long time ago to be a healer in chief and any mention of Floyd by him, especially after attacking peaceful demonstrators for a photo-op, did more damage. No need from the media to deceive to make it look even worse. No incremental value from my perspective and we cannot afford anymore damage to true journalists' credibility.
calbear93
NYCGOBEARS

calbear93
OaktownBear said:

calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

93 - I got a phone notification on this shortly after he made the statement. The source I read presented it in context of Trump talking about providing equal protections. It provided the whole surrounding quote. At the time, I did not know that it was given as part of a speech on the economy and did not tie it to the issue of unemployment. I was more infuriated by this than by anything else Trump has ever said. I'm not saying it is the worst thing he has said, but that was my personal response. I'll come back to that it in minute.

I have seen media that have conflated the issue of unemployment with the comments about Floyd. It is either shoddy, sloppy journalism or people trying to make a point. Frankly, too much of our media sucks at doing their job. Right, left, and center. I try to as much is feasible look at source material because the press gets it wrong more often than right. In this case when I was so upset, I looked at the source material because I owe it to even Trump to judge him on his words and actions, not what someone else says he said. I may not succeed in that endeavor all of the time, but I try. I will say that most of the sources I saw covered it reasonably correctly - that the statements were made in discussing equal protection measures. As I said, I have seen some conflate, sometimes I think intentionally, some I think just sloppily the statement with unemployment. That is bad journalism and unfair.

Back to my fury. The unemployment issue is not the gotcha even if some morons in the press want to try and make it one. As I said, I didn't even know about that connection when I saw this. Partially, my anger is fueled by Trump's actions over the last week and a half and my view that he has not only done little for equal protections but has harmed them. But, that is political opinion and it is not what really upset me. It is the complete insensitivity and stupidity. It is plain and simple this.

George Floyd does not have good days. All of George Floyd's good days have been taken from him.

You know the old bit about comedy equals tragedy plus time. That you couldn't make the joke "other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?" right after the assassination, but now you can? George Floyd just died. People are mourning him. If we have some great piece of legislation or something that MLK had championed but had never gotten done, you can say "MLK is having a great day today". You cannot say someone who was just murdered by police, whose family is still mourning him, is having a great day.

It is very clear that Floyd's family does not like Trump and does not like how he has dealt with them or with the whole issue. I am confident that Floyd would not want his name used in support of Trump's actions. You do not do this unless you are extremely sure that this person would stand behind you (and even then it is too soon). It is an insult and it is upsetting to his loved ones.

There has been no major legislation, no major policy changes, nothing to indicate that the next George Floyd won't happen. It is a great day for George Floyd based on what?

George Floyd does not have great days anymore. The comments were just mind-blowingly stupid and insensitive.

You and I are in complete agreement on this.
Unit2Sucks
I agree there has been some weak journalism here. The main CNN article I read pretty clearly indicated that it was in reference to the equal protection statement but much of the TV coverage I've seen didn't clarify that.

And of course mentioning Floyd the way he did was still tone deaf and in extremely poor taste, like everything Trump does. At least he wasn't dumb enough to claim that the bump in employment numbers was something Floyd would care about, particularly as less than half of African American adults are currently employed and they are hurting the worst now. On the bright side, at least Trump didn't say Floyd was looking up at us like he has for McCain and perhaps others.
bearister
"I've always cherished Washington's luminous monuments. So it was excruciating this past week to see the chucklehead who has waged war on our institutions, undermined our laws and values, stoked division at every turn, blundering around defiling the monuments that symbolize the best about America....

...Turning the American military against Americans was a scalding tableau that was a nadir even for the former military school bully. The creepy William Barr, who gets to be called "General," had troops clear out mostly peaceful protesters so Trump could walk through Lafayette Park, preening as a fake tough guy, and pose in front of St. John's. Ivanka went into her luxe purse to hand him his prop, a Bible, which he held up awkwardly. It's a wonder his hand did not burst into flames."....

...It's sad to see the tall black fences going up around the White House, turning the "People's House" into an outpost as dark as the psyche of the man who lives within. But Bowser offered the best troll on the First Troller when she had the words "Black Lives Matter" painted in yellow in front of the White House and St. John's. She tweeted that she was renaming the area "Black Lives Matter Plaza."
And that matters." Maureen Dowd, NY Times

Opinion | Bonfire of Trump's Vanity - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/opinion/trump-washington-monuments-george-floyd-protests.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/opinion/trump-washington-monuments-george-floyd-protests.html?referringSource=articleShare
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
If Donald Trump is 6-foot-3, Barron Trump must be....

bearister
tRump is 6'1 tops in lifts.
bearister
POTUS is dumber than a truckload of turnips, and somehow seems even dumber than that when his moronic words come out of someone else's mouth:

Sarah Cooper on Twitter: "How to bunker https://t.co/cu7StjllD0" / Twitter

smh
> If Donald Trump is 6-foot-3, Barron Trump must be....

a duck? son of aduck? okay, like in the funny pages lets go with whatever's behind the curtain #3:

look, up in the sky, its a bird, its a pain, its a D*CK.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
bearister

..and as a special shoutout to whoever it was that told me this isn't funny and to stop posting it:

Yogi3
bearister said:

John Kelly says Americans should 'look harder at who we elect'
Lucas Lee says Americans should look harder at who their employer is
bearister
Randy Rainbow on Twitter: "Who's that hiding in the basement? It's that coward, the #BunkerBoy https://t.co/4Nq0f88A9d" / Twitter

bearister
Trump's scrapping of Obama-era reforms hinders police reform

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/07/police-consent-decrees-trump-administration-oversight?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
bearister
Trump's use of the military backfired but will it back him if he refuses to go?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/07/donald-trump-military-mattis-mullen-george-floyd-protests?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
okaydo
Man....

bearister
tRump is so f@ucking stupid that if it wasn't horrifying it would be hysterical:

Sarah Cooper on Twitter: "How to lobster https://t.co/PZTlomCi5T" / Twitter

bearister
okaydo

bearister
okaydo said:

I predict a plagiarism lawsuit from the Estate of Joseph Goebbels forthcoming.

okaydo
Biden is kicking butt in the polling, and the murder of Carolyn Gombell has yet to go mainstream.
dimitrig
okaydo said:

Biden is kicking butt in the polling, and the murder of Carolyn Gombell has yet to go mainstream.

There is no Carolyn Gombell.

Eastern Oregon Bear
dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

That's what they want you to think.

Snopes being inaccurate again

Everyone knows you can't trust anything Snopes says. They are as biased as hell.
sycasey
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

That's what they want you to think.

Snopes being inaccurate again

Everyone knows you can't trust anything Snopes says. They are as biased as hell.
If Snopes says it's false, it MUST be true. That's what the conservatives here told me.
dajo9
dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

Prove it
NYCGOBEARS
Art of The Deal ghostwriter Tony Schwartz has something to share.

https://gen.medium.com/the-psychopath-in-chief-aa10ab2165d9
bearister
NYCGOBEARS said:

"... not having a conscience, none at all, no feelings of guilt or remorse no matter what you do, no limiting sense of concern for the well-being of strangers, friends, or even family members. Imagine no struggles with shame, not a single one in your whole life, no matter what kind of selfish, lazy, harmful, or immoral action you had taken You can do anything at all, and still your strange advantage over the majority of people, who are kept in line by their consciences, will most likely remain undiscovered."
smh
NYCGOBEARS said:

sooo, apparently Tony's not a fan of sTrumpette?
Quote:

How do we deal with a person whose core impulse in every part of his life is to deny, deceive, deflect, disparage, and double-down every time he is challenged? And what precisely is the danger such a person poses if he also happens to be the leader of the free world, during a crisis in which thousands of people are dying every day, with no letup in sight?

The first answer is that we must understand exactly who we're dealing with, and we have not, because what motivates Trump's behavior is so far from our own inner experience that it leaves us feeling forever flummoxed.
Quote:

The trait that most distinguishes psychopaths is the utter absence of conscience the capacity to lie, cheat, steal, and inflict pain to achieve their ends without a scintilla of guilt or shame, as Trump so demonstrably does.

Quote:

Like many other Trump critics, I believed that he was driven by an insatiable narcissistic hunger to be loved, accepted, admired, and praised. That remains prima facie true, but it deflects attention from what drives Trump more deeply: the need to dominate. His primary goal is to win at any cost and the end always justifies the means. Ultimately, he doesn't care what anyone else thinks or feels. For Trump, the choice between dominating and being loved saving himself or saving others is no contest.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
82gradDLSdad
NYCGOBEARS said:

Thank you for posting this.

NYCGOBEARS
82gradDLSdad said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Thank you for posting this.

You're welcome. It's taken too long for most is us to call him what he's proven to be; a psychotic liar.
okaydo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.